Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why did Judy Davis replace Jane Fonda in Woody Allen Husbands & Wives?

Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 5402/05/2014

Nobody knows why?

by Anonymousreply 112/23/2011

Jane refused to change her hairstyle for the movie. Seriously. No wonder this bimbo is treated as a demigod on Datalounge. Davis is far the better actor, in any event (Woody Allen himself thinks she's the best actress he's ever worked with).

by Anonymousreply 212/23/2011

Davis also blew Woody in her town car, and wiped the lipstick and other smear up with his handkerchief, and said, handing it back to him, "Why don't we call this a replicable annendum to the contract, Liebling?"

by Anonymousreply 312/23/2011

Both Judy Davis and Jane Fonda have played Lillian Hellman on screen.

by Anonymousreply 412/23/2011

Cause Jane is a worthless CUNT

by Anonymousreply 512/23/2011

Jane was too busy providing comfort to the enemy.

by Anonymousreply 612/23/2011

Jane would have been better in that part than Judy Davis

by Anonymousreply 712/23/2011

Shut up about jane. She's a national treasure. Judy Davis is a god. There's room for both in our little gay hearts.

by Anonymousreply 812/23/2011

Up for R8's lovely remark. I'd date him (R8).

by Anonymousreply 912/23/2011

River Phoenix was responsible for River Phoenix's suicide.

by Anonymousreply 1112/23/2011

River Phoenix didn't commit suicide. He was a drug addict who overdosed in front of Jonny Depp's nightclub.

by Anonymousreply 1212/23/2011

I'd help you, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1312/23/2011

Perhaps Woody wanted a much more mannered performance.

I'm not being a cunt.

Judy's work in Husbands and Wives is extremely stilted in a singularly droll, neurotic and ingenious way. I'm not sure Fonda, whom I also greatly admire, could have achieved anything like it. The first time I saw the movie I couldn't stand Davis in it, but on repeated viewings, I've grown to admire her performance and to give her a great deal of credit for going to such extremes.

by Anonymousreply 1412/23/2011

I think r14 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 1512/23/2011

I think "Husbands and Wives" is so overrated! It's miserably grim, uncomfortable and if I wanted to see dull suburban types argue bitterly, I could go visit my parents.

by Anonymousreply 1612/23/2011

She wouldn't do the scene with anal in it

by Anonymousreply 1712/23/2011

There was a line where her husband is yelling at her and he says - "You used to be so beautiful, but now you're ugly!" Jane just couldn't bring herself to play it.

She remembered how her dear friend Mae West had them change a line in the song "Love Will Keep Us Together" when she made Sextette. Instead of "Young and beautiful, someday your looks will be gone" Mae had it changed to "Young and beautiful, your looks [bold]will never[/bold] be gone.

Jane felt Woody should make a similar compromise.

by Anonymousreply 1812/23/2011

Perhaps Woody Allen wanted someone more age appropriate, after all.

by Anonymousreply 1912/23/2011

"Mae West had them change a line in the song "Love Will Keep Us Together" when she made Sextette. Instead of "Young and beautiful, someday your looks will be gone" Mae had it changed to "Young and beautiful, your looks will never be gone."

Well, it would be ridiculous for an 80 something year old actress to be singing about being young and beautiful for just a little while longer, now wouldn't it?

by Anonymousreply 2012/24/2011

" it would be ridiculous for an 80 something year old actress to be singing about being young and beautiful for just a little while longer, now wouldn't it?"

Yeah--that's what would have made "Sextette" ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2112/24/2011

More importantly, why was Emily Lloyd replaced with Juliette Lewis?

by Anonymousreply 2212/24/2011

Allen was totally impressed with her performance in the film 'Wish You Were Here'. He cast her without even a reading or a screen test of any sort (which is what he usually does). He did warn her agents that she had to master an American accent, and it had to be prefect by the time filming started up. She had about three months to prepare.

However by the time she arrived on set, Emily Lloyd could not master an American accent. Even the hiring of an on-set dialogue coach, didn't help.

After viewing the dallies, Allen felt he had no choice but to replace her.

by Anonymousreply 2312/24/2011

Thank you r23! So it wasn't because they didn't get along or because of her acting skills.

by Anonymousreply 2412/25/2011

The scene with Judy Davis thinking about hedgehogs or foxes is worth the price of admission.

by Anonymousreply 2512/25/2011

Jane Fonda has two Oscars, Judy Davis is a three-time Oscar loser.

Jane would have wiped Judy Davis on the floor with her performance as Sally.

by Anonymousreply 2612/25/2011

I am glad to hear that Emily Lloyd story. At the time we all just thought it was because Emily Lloyd was a nut-job.

by Anonymousreply 2712/25/2011

Judy Davis and mannered don't go together.

Some of her performances might have been better than Fonda's, but Fonda is more consistent. Davis has given some truly terrible, borderline unwatchable work.

by Anonymousreply 2812/25/2011

Wasn't Mia supposed to do the part before the break-up?

by Anonymousreply 2912/25/2011

Wood Allen always casts the latest flavor of the month, except he is usually a few years late. I guarantee you that in a couple of years he'll make a film with Rooney Mara.

by Anonymousreply 3012/25/2011

Jane Fonda is such a terrible actress that I am shocked that anyone would want to see her in anything.

Her weird jaw tension makes every character (even Barbarella) sound like the repressed daughter of Thurston Howell.

by Anonymousreply 3112/25/2011

Judy Davis is the latest flavor of the month, r30? Kind of an odd thing to say about a world class actress with a career spanning 5 decades, no? With due respect to the achievements of both actresses, it's a particularly odd statement to make in a thread about Davis, with her long and quite serious career, replacing Fonda, who was megastar of a decade (and a half) and then more or less withdrew from acting.

by Anonymousreply 3212/25/2011

[quote]Judy Davis is the latest flavor of the month, [R30]? Kind of an odd thing to say about a world class actress with a career spanning 5 decades, no?

I was referring to the young actors in his films (Scarlett Johansson, Ellen Page, Jesse Eisenberg, Jonathan Rhys Meyers) though Judy Davis can fit into this theory because she was very "in" here in the US around that time, early to late 90s and not so much since then. American filmmakers have that "in love" moment with a lot of foreign actors and then it fizzles out (or maybe the actors can't be bothered with Hollywood-ising their careers).

What I wanted to say is that Allen casts actors actresses with recent recognition and fame (though he is always a bit late in the game). Anyway, I'm not sure I can explain this, but I find his casting very predictable.

by Anonymousreply 3312/25/2011

Because I know!

Because I do…..

by Anonymousreply 3412/25/2011

Hilary Swank also has two Oscars, R26. Are you saying that she is a better actress than Davis, or Laura Linney or Glenn Close? Somehow, I can't see Hils in the Davis part.

by Anonymousreply 3512/25/2011

R30 was referring to Emily Lloyd as 'flavor of the month' when she was cast in Husbands & Wives.

Unfortunately she didn't work out and was replaced by another 'flavor of the month' Juliette Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 3612/25/2011

LOL R34! But remember...

by Anonymousreply 3712/25/2011

Judy Davis kicked ASS in the Coens' BARTON FINK.

by Anonymousreply 3812/25/2011

Woody realized there was too much scenery and he need someone to chew it.

by Anonymousreply 3912/25/2011

"More importantly, why was Emily Lloyd replaced with Juliette Lewis?"

Juliette Lewis gives the best performance in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 4012/26/2011

Are you kidding? She's grating in the movie ... and this is coming from someone who thinks she gave a stellar performance in "Cape Fear".

by Anonymousreply 4112/26/2011

She gave a stellar OSCAR NOMINATED performance in "Cape Fear".

by Anonymousreply 4212/26/2011

I'm not kidding. I can understand one finding Lewis's character grating, but that doesn't mean that her character wasn't appealing to Woody Allen or that she wasn't totally convincing in the role, as I, for one, found her to be.

For Christ's sake, Davis is also excellent in the movie and she's the quintessence of grating.

by Anonymousreply 4312/26/2011

I respect your opinion - I just found her a little too worldly and long-in-the-tooth for the role. I didn't find her character particularly well written, either.

For me, the standouts are Judy and Mia.

by Anonymousreply 4412/26/2011

I agree, Juliette is the worst part of the film.

by Anonymousreply 4512/27/2011

I respect your opinion as well but as for worldly she's playing a college student from an upper middle class Manhattan intellectual family.

As for "long in the tooth," Lewis was 19 and playing a college student. How long in the tooth could she have been? Especially since you loved her in "Cape Fear," made only a year earlier, in which she played a high school student.

by Anonymousreply 4612/27/2011

I liked her in "Cape Fear" because she was believable as a naive, young girl. In H&W, she comes across as too mature and knowing for a freshman. Her actual age has nothing to do with it. In fact, I think it has more to do with how Woody wrote the role. He can't convincingly write ingenues.

Anyways, Judy and Mia are what people remember about this film.

by Anonymousreply 4712/27/2011

Wonder how different it would be if Emily Lloyd stayed in the role.

She change the character from American to a British exchange student.

by Anonymousreply 4812/27/2011

I wish we could hear Jane's side of the story.

by Anonymousreply 4901/04/2012

I thought that she wAS hilarious in H&W

by Anonymousreply 5001/04/2012

Judy Davis won three out of the four major critics awards that year (Miranda Richardson won the other one)

I wonder if Jane would have won the Oscar, instead of Marisa Tomei, had she played the part.

by Anonymousreply 5102/23/2013

-anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 5202/05/2014

That was laugh out loud funny r31.

by Anonymousreply 5302/05/2014

Love you R34!

That's one of my fave J Davis scenes.

by Anonymousreply 5402/05/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!