Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Judy Garland - Battle Hymn Of The Republic

In a perfect world, this would be the definitive national anthem.

by Anonymousreply 7111/29/2013

Except Garland is in such a frenzy of performance, she totally fucks up the ending (she doesn't sing the last line at half-speed like the rest of the chorus). She's still amazing, though.

by Anonymousreply 112/14/2011

Didn't she sing this as a tribute to JFK? I thought I read that somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 212/14/2011

I know a GAY MAN name PAUL -- he a nice man.

Paul like two things -- ASS .. and Judy Garland.

That's all!

by Anonymousreply 312/14/2011

Yes, Mia. Garland wanted to pay tribute to JFK on the first broadcast after his death. Jim Aubrey, head of CBS programming put the nix on that so she did Battle Hymn without any intro or mention of JFK.

by Anonymousreply 412/14/2011

I thought so. Thanks, #4.

by Anonymousreply 512/14/2011

Garland reached into the emotional turmoil that each American was feeling at that moment and pulling it out, thrusted it out through the television screen and into the heart and souls of those watching that evening.

It's a battle cry for the country, and for the death of idealism and the American dream.

by Anonymousreply 612/14/2011

Who knew it would be Miss Judy Garland to bring the Dataloungers and the Dominionists together!

by Anonymousreply 712/14/2011

It's a powerful performance.

It's interesting to think how good this show might have been had not Jim Aubrey HATED Judy so much. I mean, he loathed her and could not wait to get rid of her. If she'd had the proper support, the show might have stuck around longer and had more brilliant moments. As it is, unless Judy or one of her guests is singing, the show is a bit of an embarrassment. The comedy writing is execrable, seeing as how they wanted to bring Judy down a peg or two, by continually insulting her to 'humanize' her (Aubrey's orders, I'm sure). In any case, when she sings, she's amazing. At least we have that.

by Anonymousreply 812/14/2011

Religious Propaganda. Unconstitutional OP.

by Anonymousreply 912/14/2011

What is amazing is that the master tapes survived at all. Pure luck that we have these performances to see now.

by Anonymousreply 1012/14/2011

GOD, I hate this performance. So pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 1112/14/2011

This should be the national anthem, with appropriate secular words. I'm tired of all the British tunes in our national memory.

by Anonymousreply 1212/14/2011

I think they survived because Judy and Sid's production company owned them, much like Lucy and Desi's company owned I Love Lucy. So Sid kept all the tapes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I'm right on this.

by Anonymousreply 1312/14/2011

This should be our national anthem, in a perfect world.

by Anonymousreply 1412/14/2011

The tapes were found in an attic or something - of one of Sid's relatives.

by Anonymousreply 1512/14/2011

I always laugh about the Coming of the Lord.

by Anonymousreply 1612/14/2011

A friend taught beginning acting at an inner city school and showed then this clip of Judy's singing. The kids did not know who she was, but afterwards one child asked if she was dead. When her told him yes, she was dead, the boy said "I thought so. No one who feels that much could live long."

by Anonymousreply 1712/14/2011

I can't listen to that song without flashing back to the other version I learned in grade school:

"Glory Glory Hallelujah Teacher hit me with a rul-a The ruler turned red and the teacher dropped dead And that was the end of school!"

by Anonymousreply 1812/14/2011

And how many months ago was grade school, dear?

by Anonymousreply 1912/14/2011

[quote]The kids did not know who she was, but afterwards one child asked if she was dead. When her told him yes, she was dead, the boy said "I thought so. No one who feels that much could live long."

Wow. From the mouths of babes.

I hate to say it but she looks absolutely awful in that clip. The voice is totally awesome but she looks pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 2012/14/2011

Those were 42 hard years she led at that point.

by Anonymousreply 2112/14/2011

That was filmed right after Kennedy was assassinated. She was probably in pretty bad shape.

by Anonymousreply 2212/14/2011

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It's off to school we go! With razor blades and hand grenades! Hi Ho! Hi Ho!

by Anonymousreply 2312/14/2011

She pulled out all the tricks in her bag that night, but could not hide her devastation.

by Anonymousreply 2412/14/2011

This? The definitive national anthem despite being a Civil War song of the North?

I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 2512/14/2011

Ugh, can't fucking stand Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 2612/14/2011

You're so edgy and hip, R26.

How DO you do it?

by Anonymousreply 2712/14/2011

In a perfect freeper world, this would be the definitive national anthem.

by Anonymousreply 2812/14/2011

I'm not edgy and hip at all. I just hate Judy Garland. Nice try, though.

I'm betting you're the edgy and hip one from you're interesting and witty post. Good job!!

by Anonymousreply 2912/14/2011

R28, you suggest that a liberal gay icon mourning the death of a murdered progressive Democrat by singing a song with lyrics written to support the Union fighting a Civil War that overturned slavery set to the melody used for an abolitionist hymn is a freeper tune?

These uneducated idiots here who parlay their ignorance in snide, glib fashion - what do they know except their core is a latte froth and they stink of bile?

by Anonymousreply 3012/14/2011

My what now, R29?

by Anonymousreply 3112/14/2011

Is that what you read, you Tragic Queen?

Although you want to change the subject, the question was of the "tune" as "the definitive national anthem."

And yes, any national anthem that would include lyrics such as

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord..."

"Glory Glory Hallelujah!"

"...His righteous sentence..."

"In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea, With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me: As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free, While God is marching on."

and on and on with more evangelical nonsense, would be a "defnitive national anthem" for a country that is of the freepers, for the freepers, and by the freepers.

So, you want to live in a bible-thumping theocrasy, fine. I don't.

by Anonymousreply 3212/14/2011

I love you R30.

I recall this performance from when it was live, and it still is extraordinarily gorgeous and moving.

...and I'm old enough that the inevitable retort should be "Louise", not "Mary".

by Anonymousreply 3312/14/2011

@ [R30] .. GUUUUURRRRLLL!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3412/14/2011

R33 that's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 3512/14/2011

Just what we need: A national song about a god sung by a crazy junkie!

by Anonymousreply 3612/14/2011

Fuck off R36 why bother calling names. I'm sure Garland achieved so much more that you have, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3712/14/2011

Glory, Glory Hallelujah.

Teacher hit me with a rule-a.

Shot her at the door with loaded forty-four and she ain't come back no more.

by Anonymousreply 3812/14/2011

[quote]this would be the definitive national anthem.

Exactly! This is what we need to prove to the world that we were founded as a Christian nation. It's what Paul Revere would have wanted as he rang the churchbells while shooting off his muzzleloader to warn the British. It's what our Founding Father John Quincy Adams would have wanted as our national anthem. Thanks for the suggestion, OP. You're in good company.

by Anonymousreply 3912/15/2011

We were not founded as a Christian Nation. R39 is a vile liar. 80% of people belonged to NO CHURCH AT ALL in 1776 and the percentage was up to 90% by 1800. FUCK RELIGION AND ITS LIARS!

by Anonymousreply 4012/15/2011

I've always thought that this should be our national anthem. Ray Charles singing "America the Beautiful" (with the minimum of nationalistic, hyper-patriotic, and/or militaristic images that I could find on YouTube).

by Anonymousreply 4112/15/2011

I love Judy Garland, but absolutely not in this. It's a horrible, histrionic, self-indulgent performance.

by Anonymousreply 4212/15/2011

Agree with R42. Her emotion is honestly felt, but it gets in the way of the song. At time, Judy is yelling more than singing. She sang better many other times during that weekly show.

by Anonymousreply 4312/15/2011

Supposedly, Judy looked directly into the camera before beginning this song and said "this is for you, Jack". That was what CBS scissored.

by Anonymousreply 4412/15/2011

In this case, it should have been more about her than about the song.

by Anonymousreply 4512/15/2011

More foolishness. R32, you confuse a challenge to Christian orthodoxy framed in the prevailing religious metaphors of the times with evangelism. You quote like a parrot but have no comprehension of what "in the beauty of the lilies," "died to make men holy," and "die to make men free" mean in the context of the poem, song and times.

Rather than a theocratic ramble, the song says that dying to end slavery was akin to Christ's death, even though he was not a man of war. War came to the nation, but to end slavery it was better to fight it than to allow the depravity of slavery to continue.

I suppose, using your logic, that Lincoln wrote a "Xtian screed" in his Second Inaugural Address, a defining document in American letters and the most profound statement on the Civil War ever framed by a white man? You know, because that non-church-going, barely Deist doubter mentioned God and quoted the Bible in it.

But you're not interested, are you? Because you just want to keep screeching a point that is unfounded in a petulant, foul voice like the whistle of a tea kettle. That's what uneducated, entitled, do-nothing non-contributors do.

Polly, take the kettle off.

And, for the record, I like the national anthem as it is and can't listen to this rendition of the Battle Hymn because it is too painful. Yes, it's histrionic. It's a historical record of how people felt at a horrible time, and even though it is too painful for me to watch I can forgive Judy Garland for a lapse of taste in her honest grief.

by Anonymousreply 4612/15/2011

I never say this, but marry me, R30.

You said it beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 4712/16/2011

She sang "The Battle Hymn of The Republic" occasionally in concert after 1963.

I saw Judy sing it at MSG's Felt Forum in New York in Dec. 1967 around Christmas. That night her voice was fairly good. She read most of the lyrics from a piece of paper.

By then, it was a surprise that Garland could perform an entire concert, include "The Battle Hymn...," without losing her way. It was thrilling to see her sing that song in person.

by Anonymousreply 4812/16/2011

Why is she singing the lyrics as "Gory, Gory, Hallelujah"?

by Anonymousreply 4912/16/2011

This is better

by Anonymousreply 5012/16/2011

[quote] "Glory Glory Hallelujah Teacher hit me with a rul-a The ruler turned red and the teacher dropped dead And that was the end of school!"

"Glory Glory Hallelujah, Teacher hit me with a Rul-ah. Met her at the door with a loaded .44, and there ain't no teacher no more."

by Anonymousreply 5112/16/2011

The second time she did it. The greatest female singer of the 20th century paying tribute to a fallen President. No, Garland is not the cup of tea for everyone but MY Mary moments in life can be measured by Judy Garland songs, pretty much. She hit the zeitgeist of the nation with her version of this song, much as she did with Over the Rainbow and The Man that Got Away. People "got" it and FELT it, right along with her. Some reviewer somewhere said that, when Judy sang from the heart, it was like the "whole world's hearts breaking in her throat at the same time" or something to that effect. Yes, it's a MARY and it's histrionic but I don't care. That "tragic, " addled, tortured woman, aside from being a gay flashpoint or icon or whatever the hell she became for the gays, had more talent in her little finger than any singer alive today. The world will not see the likes of her again. Please, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 5212/16/2011

The movie STONEWALL got it right. Her contribution, the reason gay men idolized her, the power behind her death and what it meant to those men in that bar on that night. There is no question that the passing of Judy Garland played a part in the Stonewall riots.

by Anonymousreply 5312/16/2011

People here are so mean and cynical. She was friends with the President who just had his brains blown out. Americans with a conscience were in mourning. Of course she performed it emotionally. Good fucking God. It's a historic performance.

by Anonymousreply 5412/16/2011

I saw Judy Garland sing in person several times. Same with Ella Fitzgerald. Ella is in the running for best singer of the 20th century. Judy was more trilling when she was at her best, but Ella was far more consistent and had a better voice.

In response to R52.....

by Anonymousreply 5512/17/2011

I have to agree with r55. Judy might be in the running for the best PERFORMER of the 20th century but Ella was probably the best non operatic singer imho. I loved both of them, but with Judy, you really needed to *see* her sing to get it. You can actually press the mute button on her filmed performances and still be enthralled. She could sell a song like nobodies business. She had a very nice voice (I especially like her early adult voice), but her voice was never her strongest point.

by Anonymousreply 5612/17/2011

Star Spangled Banner is the best... just ask these guys and gals... wait, Don't ask, Don't tell.

by Anonymousreply 5712/17/2011

Ignore all the silly queens bitching here about God, the lyrical intent of "Battle Hymm," and politics. One of the reasons it is so much to come here is because the bitchiness proves some girls never, never get over high school.

Great version of a great song by a great singer. Plain and simple.

The best version of "The Star Spangled Banner" is by Jimi Hendrix. No contest.

by Anonymousreply 5812/17/2011

"Garland reached into the emotional turmoil that each American was feeling at that moment and pulling it out, thrusted it out through the television screen and into the heart and souls of those watching that evening."

But can it remove ring around the collar?

by Anonymousreply 5912/17/2011

Second response to R52:

Tony Bennett is still alive. We could argue about which singer was (is) better, Judy or Tony. Frank Sinatra praised Garland & Bennett equally. I saw Judy and Tony in person three times each...both excellent, superb singers.

by Anonymousreply 6012/17/2011

The brainless, judgmental posts written about this clip are warped and moronic; it's a shame that so many people attempt to call attention to themselves by writing asinine drivel.

Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 6101/26/2013

I remember watching her TV show every Sunday night while I was in high school. She was the first "adult" pop singer that I became a fan of. I still get goose pimples when I watch this incredible lady singing to a country grieving for its fallen president.

by Anonymousreply 6211/26/2013

Judy had "It". At her best, she was mesmerizing. She had great warmth and charm. When I watch her performing with other very talented people, I realize that my eyes keep being drawn back to her. Maybe "It" could also be described as personal magnetism.

by Anonymousreply 6311/26/2013

Garland sang that song at least once more -- at Felt Forum (part of Madison Square Garden) in late 1967. She was in relatively good voice for so late in her career, but read from lyric sheets. It was a better performance because she kept her emotions in check. I agree that Garland was yelling more than singing on her CBS shows in 1963, when she sang it twice.

by Anonymousreply 6411/28/2013

This performance on her show is flawless.

End. Of. Story.

If you can't feel it, you must be dead inside.

by Anonymousreply 6511/28/2013

[quote]In a perfect world, this would be the definitive national anthem.

In a perfect world there would be no need for national anthems, period. Being an ex-Christian, even I understand that the mention of Christ offends non-Christians, as well as the non-religious. This song's lyrics actually calls on the genocide of all Southern people.

All that being said, Robert E. Lee thought the song was better than "Dixie." And Judy's performance is perhaps the definitive one.

by Anonymousreply 6611/28/2013

I love this twitchy ham!

by Anonymousreply 6711/28/2013

Isn't it a very northern/union song? I would think 1/3 of the country would vehemently object to that idea?

by Anonymousreply 6811/28/2013

Here is the more appropriate National Anthem for y'all, sung by Garland at a less terrible time, in better voice.

by Anonymousreply 6911/28/2013

Agree R69. It's a better song and she is much less frantic. This song is far more typical of the quality of her 1963-64 variety show than Battle Hymn of the Republic.

by Anonymousreply 7011/29/2013

She was wonderful. Who fucking cares about the drugs and pills when faced with that voice, that talent, the emotion- all in one little lady. She deserves praise for eternity.

by Anonymousreply 7111/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.