Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Muslim Women Who Wear The Hijab In The Service Industry

Do you feel it is inappropriate for a saleswoman, waitress or barista to wear the Hijab. Or are you fine with it?

by Anonymousreply 27110/26/2014

Hey, at least they're not getting their fucking hair in your drink.

by Anonymousreply 212/14/2011

Why would it be "inappropriate?" It's her body. She can dress as she wants.

by Anonymousreply 312/14/2011

What R1 said.

If a person cares enough that they take their business elsewhere, then she isn't the one with the problem.

If anything, I'd say it's more sanitary if they're handling food/drinks.

by Anonymousreply 412/14/2011

I agree with R1 and R2 made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 512/14/2011

Some people have been fired for wearing the Hijab.

A Peninsula college student is suing Abercrombie & Fitch, claiming her civil rights were violated when she was fired for refusing to remove her headscarf.

Twenty-year-old Hani Kari says her firing from the Hollister outlet store in Hillsdale was because of religious discrimination. The college student says she's been wearing the headscarf, known as a hijab, since kindergarten.

At the Hollister store where Kari worked, the store manager had no problem when Kari was hired for a stockroom job, but four months later, a district manager and the store's human resources department did.

Kahn was fired over the phone when she refused to remove her headscarf.

Kahn said the store manager told her she could wear her hijab as long as it was in keeping with the store's color scheme: Navy blue, gray or white. But human resources said employees are not allowed to wear any head coverings at all.

In a statement released by Abercrombie & Fitch, the company said they are "committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of race or ethnicity. We comply with the law regarding reasonable religious accommodations."

by Anonymousreply 612/14/2011

It's the fucking service industry. Frankly, I'd prefer it.

by Anonymousreply 712/14/2011

A 22-year-old Muslim woman claims she was fired this week from her job at a Trade Secrets salon because she wears a hijab.

Mehwish Ali, an esthetician from Markham, says one of the Pickering store’s co-owners, Mylene Facchini, saw her wearing her headscarf for the first time last Saturday. Two days later, Ali maintains, Facchini told her the scarf was inappropriate because it covered her hair, which the company was in the business of promoting. On Tuesday, she received an email dismissing her from her job.

by Anonymousreply 812/14/2011

[quote]In a statement released by Abercrombie & Fitch, the company said they are "committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of race or ethnicity. We comply with the law regarding reasonable religious accommodations."

Is a "statement" ever not complete bullshit? Actions speak louder than words. She was working in the stockroom and they still wanted her to take it off.

by Anonymousreply 912/14/2011

It's just a fucking accessory!

by Anonymousreply 1012/14/2011

I have to admit that I do an internal eye-roll every time I see a woman wearing one. The entire Islamic world needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, for the sake of the rest of us as much as for theirs.

by Anonymousreply 1112/14/2011

I don't, r11. If I don't expect to do an "internal eye-roll" and object at someone having facial piercings, a stupid haircut or idiot-looking clothes then why should I object to a young woman wearing a hijab? Especially when they tend to be the ones who provide the best service. In London you see girls wearing them in clothes stores and it just adds to the diversity of the place (the Japanese kid, the skinny blond boy, the girl with the big hair).

The case in r8's post makes no sense. If they objected to her wearing a hijab then why did they hire her in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 1212/14/2011

So do I, r11. Many of them are living in the 21st century in other respects though. So I remain conflicted on the hijab. I guess I have to go with, they have a right to wear it, even if it irks me to see it.

by Anonymousreply 1312/14/2011

Oh I do an internal eye roll at piercings, tattoos, blue hair, goth outfits, etc., too, r13.

by Anonymousreply 1412/14/2011

It doesn't bother me and, as R2 points out, if they are around food it seems more hygienic. I do thinks it's old fashioned but it's not any different than the pentecostals with their hair piled in an outdated beehive because they can't cut it or the Amish.

by Anonymousreply 1512/14/2011

R15, I have the same reaction when I see Pentecostal women with the hair and the long skirts & long sleeves (which I actually don't see much anymore) as I do with the Muslim women wearing head scarves. They just need to get over it.

by Anonymousreply 1612/14/2011

I live in a mid-sized town in Louisiana that has a large population of both Pentecostals and Muslims and their dressing customs don't bother me at all. In fact, it's interesting to see how much fashion sense some of them have despite the restrictions on their dress. Some of the Pentecostal chicks have a real rocker girl thing going on even in long skirts, and some of the Muslim women's scarves are Hermes, their makeup perfectly applied.

Live and let live, vive la différence, all that.

by Anonymousreply 1812/14/2011

I'd much rathe see a woman in a Hijab than wearing a top with her tits hanging out and a bunch of nasty nail polish on her hands.

by Anonymousreply 1912/14/2011

Any issues about its impact on the woman in question are for her to come to an answer about as it is her body and clothing.

As for the rest, if she possesses the skills to do the job and was deemed fit for employment based on those skills, it ought not matter a toss.

by Anonymousreply 2012/14/2011

Re: A&F, I remember one of the tv newsmagazines (20/20? Primetime?) doing a story a few years ago about some Abercrombie store that was blatantly discriminating against minorities (African Americans and Latinos) by not hiring them for any jobs and throwing out any minority applications, including ones for working in the back rooms. They claimed it was because they wanted to represent a certain "look" and they, like Hooters, had a right to demand their employees look a certain way/color. I can't remember what became of the lawsuit.

Btw a hijab is not a sign that they're not living in the 21st century. It's really nothing more than the Muslim version of a nun's habit, except it only covers the head. Nuns don't wear habits because they're old fashioned, they wear them because they're a way to express their modesty (no, I don't wear one). It's the same reason Muslim women won't wear short shorts or whatever else they find too exposing, like those stupid pants where you can see half a person's ass as they walk.

by Anonymousreply 2212/14/2011

:::Do you feel it is inappropriate for a saleswoman, waitress or barista to wear the Hijab. Or are you fine with it?

Take Poll: Is it inappropriate for Muslim women to wear the Hijab in the service industry? Yes? No?:::

Worded like a loaded Karl Rove push poll, OP. No, I'm fine with it.

by Anonymousreply 2312/14/2011

Many Muslim women don't wear hijabs so leave the ones who do alone.

by Anonymousreply 2512/14/2011

The wildest thing I've seen is a guy dragging some woman with a full burka (with the tiny screen peephole) into a Barnes and Noble book store. The sight was unexpected and so absurd I busted out laughing. I roared with laughter for blocks.

Imagine what they look like walking around when viewing them from the roof of a tall building. Gets me every time.

by Anonymousreply 2612/14/2011

[quote]These are ordinary women who are bullied or brainwashed into wearing it by bully husbands/culture. It represents the oppression of women. Period.

I get where you are coming from, but there are plenty of women who don't have outward signs of oppression who are nonetheless oppressed as well. Any Christian whose community insists that birth control is evil, for example.

Even if you don't agree with their customs, you should respect the person and respect their traditions. Stripping them of something as simple (to non-believers) as a headscarf is to them, something far more violent.

This country is supposed to be founded on the principles of inclusion and tolerance.

by Anonymousreply 2712/14/2011

I didn't mean it quite that literally, r24; I only meant to make the comparison that both hijabs and habits are worn to express modesty.

by Anonymousreply 2812/14/2011

[quote]It's the same reason Muslim women won't wear short shorts or whatever else they find too exposing, like those stupid pants where you can see half a person's ass as they walk.

You are really equating the covering of a woman's HAIR with refraining from wearing ass-exposing bottoms? Really?

Various patriarchal cultures throughout history have forced women - particularly unmarried women - to cover their hair. It has nothing to do with the women's personal modesty and everything to do with the idea that a woman with uncovered hair is a temptation to men, and because men cannot be expected to control themselves, women have to do it for them. This 'logic' goes back a long way - Calvinist women in the 17th century covered their hair, as did ancient Hebrew women, as did women in medieval times (like nuns). It was all about men., not about the women themselves. And it still is.

by Anonymousreply 3012/14/2011

I have no problem with it. It's a person right to choose to believe in stupid religions if they want. So long as they're not hurting anybody, I don't care. A man or woman in religious garb won't bother me, even though I disagree with their views.

by Anonymousreply 3112/14/2011

My sister's oncologist wears a hijab; it does not necessarily indicate that a Muslim woman is unequal to the men in her community in terms of her educational and professional opportunities and attainment. It doesn't always mean that a man told her she had to wear it, either. In the oncologist's case (for some reason, she and my sister had a lengthy chat about this subject), her family and religious community raised girls to view the hijab as optional: you should only begin to wear one when and if you felt spiritually moved to do so. She didn't start wearing hers until she was around 50, and only then, from the sounds of it, because her young adult daughter had chosen to start wearing one and she felt like Naughty Heathen Mom or something.

by Anonymousreply 3212/14/2011

Quebec teen fired as soccer ref for wearing hijab

A Canadian-born teenager is fighting for her right to referee soccer matches while wearing a hijab after she was fired for refusing to remove the Islamic head covering.

Sarah Benkirane says she can't understand why she had been allowed to wear her hijab for the past two years and was only confronted last week. She was fired after someone filed a complaint with the Lac St. Louis Regional Soccer Association in west-end Montreal.

"I don't know why they took my job away now and not before," Benkirane told QMI Agency.

The soccer association says it's only following FIFA rules that say hijabs are a choking hazard.

"We're applying the FIFA rules," said managing director Edouard Saint-Lo. "Anything that is not a soccer uniform is prohibited. The referees have the right to have a watch or a timer. Jewelry, hijabs or any other symbol with religious connotations has no place in soccer."

Saint-Lo says he was only told about Benkirane's hijab last week and acted accordingly.

"I am an administrator, I am not on the field, I could not have known (earlier)," he said.

Benkirane plans to fight the ruling, saying the FIFA rule upon which it's based is unfair.

"I am not a danger to the players," said the girl. "My veil is stuck under my sweater, and I never come into contact with them."

She said her Moroccan-born father was initially worried when, as a 12-year-old, she told him that she would begin wearing the hijab.

"It was my decision," she said. "My mother is Canadian and does not wear the veil. My parents were concerned when I chose to wear the hijab, they were afraid that I would have difficulty finding work."

She said that she participates in curling and track and field and has had no problems in either sport.

"I'm not hurting anyone," said Benkirane. "I practice my religion and I do it with my face uncovered."

The Quebec Soccer Federation held a news conference Monday to support the local soccer group's decision to fire the girl.

"FIFA rules are clear in this matter and we cannot make an exception," said federation president Dino Madonis.

"Why would we allow the hijab to be worn when it's prohibited at the World Cup and at all international competitions?"

FIFA's refusal to change the hijab rule has had an impact internationally.

The Iranian women's soccer team has been barred from Olympic qualifiers because players refused to remove their hijabs.

by Anonymousreply 3312/14/2011

N.J Woman Fired for Wearing Hijab

The Justice Department filed a lawsuit today accusing Essex County officials of illegally firing a Muslim corrections officer for refusing to remove her head scarf.

The suit, filed in federal court in Newark on behalf of Yvette Beshier, asks for a court order forcing the county to accommodate religious observances as part of its uniform code for corrections officers.

"Employees should not have to choose between their religious beliefs and their economic livelihood," said Loretta King, acting assistant attorney general for the civil rights division.

The suit accuses Essex County of violating the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discriminating against employees based on race, color, sex, national origin and religion. The religious discrimination provisions require employers to reasonably accommodate workers' religious observances and practices.

The Essex County Department of Corrections initially suspended Beshier for wearing her head scarf, or khimar, according to the suit. She asked officials to make an exception to the uniform policy, saying her religion required her to wear it, according to the suit.

But the county refused, and eventually Beshier was fired, according to the suit. The lawsuit does not specify when Beshier was hired or fired.

"Federal law requires all employers, even those having policies regarding the wearing of uniforms, to reasonably accommodate the religious observances and practices of their employees," King said.

In February, the Justice Department settled a lawsuit accusing Washington, D.C.'s, transit agency of discriminating against a woman who refused to wear pants, citing her Apostolic Pentecostal faith.

In 2000, New Jersey's Department of Corrections agreed to relax its no-beard policy after 33 Sunni Muslim corrections officers filed suit.

by Anonymousreply 3412/14/2011

I accidentally voted 'yes', cause I didn't take the time to read the question properly.

Sorry for skewing your poll, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3512/14/2011

Can they work at Hooter's and wear one?

by Anonymousreply 3612/14/2011

I don't personally have a problem with it, but you need to comply with the company's dress code if they have one. If doing your job requires differentiating from your religious beliefs and you do not want to, then you should find a different job.

Same thing as Christians refusing to hand out same-sex marriage licenses. Find a job that complies with your beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 3712/14/2011

[quote]They just need to get over it.

Why? Sez who? It's their business & none of yours.

by Anonymousreply 3812/14/2011

[italic]I have to admit that I do an internal eye-roll every time I see a woman wearing one. The entire Islamic world needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, for the sake of the rest of us as much as for theirs.[/italic]

She chose to wear it. People take their religion very seriously. Look at the frigging Catholic Church, or the Mormons. What about Hasidic Jews?

OP is a shit stirring troll. We all know it.

by Anonymousreply 3912/14/2011

[quote]People take their religion very seriously. Look at the frigging Catholic Church, or the Mormons. What about Hasidic Jews?

The Amish will fucking cut you.

by Anonymousreply 4212/14/2011

if their faces are covered, YES. if their bodies are covered, NO.

by Anonymousreply 4312/14/2011

[italic]inequality is everyone's business - they want to oppress women and kill gays[/italic]

American Muslims wish to oppress women and kill gays?

Yeah, okay. Save this tidbit for your next Tea Bagger Rally!

by Anonymousreply 4412/14/2011

I let my money do my talking for me. I don't waste an iota of energy on anything that causes me discomfort.

by Anonymousreply 4512/14/2011

[quote]How many generations will these Arab men have to be in this country before they "allow" their women to join the rest of us in the 21st Century?

Significantly fewer than if they didn't live here, I predict.

by Anonymousreply 4712/14/2011

I accidentally voted no.

I hate anything that has to do with religious control and traditions: yarmulkes, hijabs, wigs, hairnets, undergarments, habits, robes, turbans, swords--anything. It's ridiculous and anyone who wears that stuff is a brainwashed, indoctrinated sheep.

by Anonymousreply 4812/14/2011

Holy shit, R26. Where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 4912/14/2011

totally doesn't bother me. Most of the women wearing them are lovely and very well put together. They're not slobs with fucking muffin tops hanging out over their too-tight/too low-cut jeans.

by Anonymousreply 5112/14/2011

No, you shut up asshole. I'm entitled to an opinion just like you. I'm open to most things, but not religion and its trappings.

by Anonymousreply 5312/14/2011

The first time I saw a woman in a hajib working at a store, I went through checkout feeling inexplicably guilty.

Then I realized it was because she reminded me of a nun

by Anonymousreply 5412/14/2011

Anytime I set foot in a shop south of 57th Street I wish more of the help veiled themselves heavily.

These sunglasses can only block out so much ugly.

by Anonymousreply 5512/14/2011

I'm with you r48/r53 though I wouldn't say I hate it as much as it makes me kind of sad that so many in this world waste their limited time alive on following these rigid nonsensical belief systems.

by Anonymousreply 5612/14/2011

As always, shop at Nasty Pig for all of the latest Hijab fashions!

by Anonymousreply 5712/14/2011

Americans are afraid of Islam and believe all followers are terrorists. Sadly I don't think this will change anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 5812/14/2011

[quote}totally doesn't bother me. Most of the women wearing them are lovely and very well put together. They're not slobs with fucking muffin tops hanging out over their too-tight/too low-cut jeans.

You have a point. I'd rather see a well-dressed girl wearing a hijab than a fat trashy chick in a too short shirt with tight jeans and her belly hanging out.

by Anonymousreply 5912/14/2011

I couldn't care as long as the hijab is clean.

by Anonymousreply 6012/14/2011

"I think very little tolerance should be given the Muslim community as long as they are killing us"

Does this happen a lot where you live?

by Anonymousreply 6112/14/2011

In a fashion sense I can really appreciate burkas, saris, turbans, etc. They are often quite beautiful. And it must be kind of wild to be out in public in one of those total coverage get-ups - sort of like being invisible. But why so often does the man in a couple attire himself in western, even hip-hop garb while his spouse must retain tradition?

A 40-ish woman where I work has recently started wearing a head-scarf. It really makes me wonder if she's a homophobic hater.

[quote]Calvinist women in the 17th century covered their hair, as did ancient Hebrew women...

Some contemporary jewish women do as well, whether with fabric or a wig (over a shaven scalp(?).

by Anonymousreply 6212/14/2011

I get my hair done at a Muslim beauty salon. I took their word for it that they all had great hairdos. Anyway, I got a terrible cut and have had to wear a scarf over my head until it grows out.

by Anonymousreply 6312/14/2011

As someone mention up thread as long as the face isn't covered I'm fine with it. If I can see someone's face expressions I get very uneasy.

by Anonymousreply 6512/14/2011

A lot of people have that problem. I wore a facemask when I went to the bank and was surprised by the reactions I got.

by Anonymousreply 6612/14/2011

[quote]These are ordinary women who are bullied or brainwashed into wearing it by bully husbands/culture. It represents the oppression of women. Period.

This also explains ridiculously high heels and eating disorders.

by Anonymousreply 6712/14/2011

I wonder how many of these places have fired workers for wearing crosses around their necks. Something tells me they would choose not to notice such religious symbols.

by Anonymousreply 6812/14/2011

If its just a head covering its no worse than a yarmaluke or a cross on a chain. I'm not religious but I'm not opposed to those who are.

But when I see American women swathed head-to-toe in a chador with just their eyes showing through a little slit like we're in Tehran, I do think "WTF...?" Creepy and weird.

by Anonymousreply 6912/14/2011

Link, please, to any news story about American Muslims killing gays.

by Anonymousreply 7012/14/2011

I drive by a girl every morning, I think she's a school student, and she wears a headscarf, always matched to whatever she is wearing. I actually look forward to seeing the pretty outfits she puts together. Kinda brightens my day.

by Anonymousreply 7112/14/2011

It would look out of place on a stripper.

by Anonymousreply 7212/15/2011

R49, I saw this in Berkeley, CA. Within the last six years or so, we've been seeing more Muslems in the East Bay. Most with the hijab but some with full burkas. The burkas make quite a contrast to the California craftsman bungalows and flowers gardens when they walk down residential streets, especially on a beautiful, warm sunny day when everyone around is wearing shorts and t-shirts. It's a strange sight, to me anyhow. They always have a man walking with them and he hangs onto their elbow and guides them as to where they should walk. The full burka women actually walk ackwardly and with an uncertain tread (for some reason was surprised to notice this). The man or men with them seem to act as seeing eye dogs, especially going over curbs and along broken portions of sidewalks. No offense to anyone, but they're really like seeing a black cloud on what's otherwise beautiful sunny day. The bookstore incident made me see the black humor in the situation. If women want to walk around like that it's their business but it looks beyond absurd, like someone is playing a joke on someone who's too stupid to know they're the punchline.

by Anonymousreply 7312/15/2011

Not long after 9/11, airhead Houston news anchor put on a hijab and went around town "undercover" to stores and restaurants to do a story on hostility and discrimination.

There were absolutely no incidents, but I guess the station didn't have anything other stories to fill that time, so it aired anyway.

by Anonymousreply 7412/15/2011

I'm against a full burka as it impedes vision and they really do need someone to lead them but hijabs are no big deal to me.

by Anonymousreply 7512/15/2011

[quote]It would look out of place on a stripper.

Not if she was performing the Dance of the Seven Veils.

by Anonymousreply 7612/15/2011

The hijab really doesn't bother me at all. Being a Libertarian, I say everyone in the US has the right to dress, on their own time, however they want to dress.

That said, I will admit that I get creeped out by women who do the whole thing with the head-to-toe coverage with only their heavily veiled eyes semi-exposed*. In my opinion, that just conveys the message that not only are men incapable of controlling themselves, they shouldn't be expected to. It only gives validation to the conviction that any trespass or assault a man might make upon an unescorted woman is to be judged as being entirely her fault for flaunting herself as such a tempting target. You hear this logic even in our "enlightened society" every time someone says about a rape victim, "Well, she shouldn't have been alone in that area dressed [italic]that way[/italic]." "That way" being just about any kind of clothing. In other words, she was [italic]asking for it.[/italic] That attitude is just plain WRONG and should not be tolerated in a free society.

*Whenever I see a woman around here (NYC) dressed in full coverage as proscribed by strict Sharia law, it never fails she is being escorted by her husband who is wearing clothing that is not much, if at all, different from what most other men are wearing around here.

by Anonymousreply 7712/15/2011

As long as they keep their eyes down and don't try to address me directly, I'm fine with it. I'll tell her what I want and she doesn't need to talk to me to follow my orders.

by Anonymousreply 7812/15/2011

I wouldn't want to be waited on, or had a service performed by someone I couldn't see.

If they are that religious, that they don the garb, it's probably against their religion to serve me and my husband.

The whole premise of the hijab is insulting. It's because YOU, ME and everybody else can't be trusted to not lust.

I will also turn right around and leave if I see a Jesus cross on the store wall, or a God Bless America sign near the cashier. I'm pretty sure they don't want my gay business, you read all the time how those who promote religion in their work refuse to provide us a service, lodging, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7912/15/2011

It's a sercurity risk. They could easily hide bombs, guns, knives and other dangerous weapons underneath. Muslim adherents have a long history of violence too. I do not feel safe around hijab-wearing Muslim women.

Muslim adherents will sue left and right until they can wear their attire anywhere making it uncomfortable for others thus pushing non-Muslims out of an area.

by Anonymousreply 8012/15/2011

R80, do you often feel that saleswomen, waitresses or baristas are hiding bombs, guns, knives and other dangerous weapons?

Just learn to tip once in a while. And it's 20%.

by Anonymousreply 8112/15/2011

It's 20% for exceptional service.

by Anonymousreply 8212/15/2011

Can they serve pork?

by Anonymousreply 8312/15/2011

More power to them. I want a multi-cultural society.

by Anonymousreply 8412/15/2011

Can they serve alcohol? If not, there is a slim to none chance I'd even be at their restaurant!

by Anonymousreply 8512/15/2011

Amen R85.

by Anonymousreply 8612/15/2011

I'm prejudiced where Muslims are concerned, quite prejudiced actually. I would avoid an employee wearing one.

by Anonymousreply 8712/15/2011

[quote]Some contemporary jewish women do as well, whether with fabric or a wig (over a shaven scalp(?).

Yes, Hasidic women do this, and again, it's not about 'modesty'. It's about the fact that ultra-Orthodox Jews believe that only a woman's husband should be allowed to see her (true) hair. Some husbands allow their wives to keep their own hair and cover it with a scarf, and others require that their wives shave their heads and wear wigs instead. Either way, it's done to the husband's specifications. The wife's wishes are not a factor.

by Anonymousreply 8812/15/2011

[quote]It doesn't always mean that a man told her she had to wear it, either.

Yes it does. It may not directly be the father or the husband or the brother but, if you go back, it all started with Mohammad's edicts as interpreted by men.

by Anonymousreply 8912/15/2011

Don't mind hijab. Do mind niqab -- the tiny peephole.

If you can see my face I'd better see yours.

by Anonymousreply 9012/15/2011

Fuck the hijab; what's wrong with this country is exemplified by r37.

by Anonymousreply 9112/15/2011

It's OK only if she looks fabulous

by Anonymousreply 9212/15/2011

Don't give an inch to religion. Box it in at every turn.

by Anonymousreply 9312/15/2011

There is something disingenuous about a woman claiming modesty in wearing the hijab yet willing to work at Abercrombie. If you are that pious you wouldn't work at a place that is famous for nudity in its advertising. Too many of these complaints are attempts at making money with a lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 9412/15/2011

[quote]Shut up, asshole. It's their lives, their beliefs. You sound like the most narrow-minded, bigoted creep imaginable. Fuck you!

What the fuck are you doing on a gay site?

I didn't think DL would be the choice for religious sheep, seeing as orthodox religions and religious fanatics are universally anti-gay.

by Anonymousreply 9512/15/2011

"No, you shut up asshole. I'm entitled to an opinion just like you. I'm open to most things, but not religion and its trappings."

If a person's religious dress offends you then you have some serious anger management problems.

You label anyone who wears a yalmulke or turban, or habit, etc. as "brainwashed, indoctrinated sheep." Just like homophobes label all gays as depraved child-molesting sex maniacs who prey on children in order to indoctrinate them into the homosexual lifestyle. You're just like them. JUST like them.

by Anonymousreply 9612/15/2011

Discriminating against someone for how they pray or what they wear is pathetic. It's a lot like discriminating against someone for who they have sex with. These are all just private issues and we are all entitled to our own beliefs and feelings.

by Anonymousreply 9712/15/2011

I feel sorry for them because it's rooted in sexism. But, other than that, I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 9812/15/2011

You're embarrassing, R80.

Did you hide your brain under your gunt?

by Anonymousreply 9912/15/2011

I just wouldn't hire someone who came in to an interview wearing one of those, the same way I wouldn't hire someone who claims it's their "religion" to wear a tube top.

by Anonymousreply 10012/15/2011

R80 if that's your opinion than you must be frightened of anyone holding a purse or a briefcase or anyone wearing a large jacket. Anyone of us who wanted to hide a gun, a knife, a bomb, etc. could easily do it in a fashionable way. STUPID!

by Anonymousreply 10112/15/2011

I hope to god R80 is a parody.

She sounds like the type who would monitor any brown-skinned people on a plane for "suspicious activity", like using the bathroom or speaking in their native tongue.

by Anonymousreply 10212/15/2011

Plus, you just know that the hijab is where they're all hiding their pilot licenses.

by Anonymousreply 10312/15/2011

Some Muslim women wear hijabs. Other than it being part of religion, as opposed to social convention, is there anything to differentiate it from women generally wearing high heels. Both are certainly examples of the social control of women's bodies. In one case, call it religion. In another call it secular custom. It boils down to the same sheepish brainwashing.

That's all beside the point, which is to discriminate against a service industry worker because he or she wears a hijabs or yarmulke, or ash on a forehead on Palm Sunday, is oppressive and revolting.

by Anonymousreply 10412/15/2011

You know why people like R100 or R80 make me laugh? They're such idiots that they think a Muslim planning to blow something up would "dress the part." Wouldn't they be more likely to draw the attention of dumbasses like you two?

Put me on a plane with a woman wearing the whole thing and as long as she's not carrying a screaming toddler, I'm fine.

by Anonymousreply 10512/15/2011

R104= WAY too sensible and logical to be on Datalounge. :)

I completely agree.

by Anonymousreply 10612/15/2011

[quote]Discriminating against someone for how they pray or what they wear is pathetic. It's a lot like discriminating against someone for who they have sex with. These are all just private issues and we are all entitled to our own beliefs and feelings.

We are all entitled to our own beliefs, but we are not entitled to have everybody respect them. You can believe in a giant play-doh deity in the next solar system, I don't have to respect you for that, and am free to discriminate against you [italic]on a personal level[/italic], because I think you are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 10712/15/2011

Bravo, R107.

And I would add: your right to your own religious beliefs end where my RIGHT TO EXIST as a gay man or lesbian begins.

by Anonymousreply 10812/15/2011

I agree with R107. We don't choose our race, we don't choose our sexual orientation, we don't choose our gender. We DO choose our religious beliefs, however, and they should be open to ridicule and discrimination.

On the other hand, R104 has a valid point: the hijab is not just a religious symbol, it's a cultural convention. However, in the United States I don't think it's unreasonable for a woman in an American service industry to give up the hijab just as American women traveling in Muslim countries are expected to dress more modestly and cover their heads.

by Anonymousreply 10912/15/2011

Thank you, r109, well said.

by Anonymousreply 11012/15/2011

[quote]I feel sorry for them because it's rooted in sexism. But, other than that, I don't care.

Ditto.

by Anonymousreply 11112/15/2011

R109, the hijab isn't a fashion accessory. It's not like telling employees not to wear dangly earrings at work, or black nail polish. They're wearing it because they think it makes God happy. Saying, "I don't think it's unreasonable for a woman in an American service industry to give up the hijab just as American women traveling in Muslim countries are expected to dress more modestly and cover their heads," misses the point.

If I go to Saudi Arabia and have to wear some big outfit, it may be offensive to my personal sensibilities, but that's different from telling me to do something I think is going to make God mad at me, or be disappointed in me. That's how big a deal it is to them. It's not like you're telling them to take off a hat, or put on a long dress. You're telling them the fashion sense of some total stranger should be more important than making God mad. The vast majority of the Muslim religion involves physically doing things, like prayer or eating certain foods or wearing certain clothes, to prove you respect God. It's a very physically expressed religion, more like a lifestyle than the all-in-your-head philosphical religions of the West. That's probably why it's so hard for them to modernize, because the religion itself largely consists of physical acts.

How would you feel about somebody telling gay people to stop their "lifestyle" and start acting and dressing more like a straight person, because any sign of a gay "lifestyle" is offensive to them? A hijab is really a dogwhistle sign of a Muslim "lifestyle."

by Anonymousreply 11212/15/2011

Celebrities & politicians wearing the hijab

by Anonymousreply 11312/15/2011

The lesson from this is God is totally and permanently pissed off. At you. Yes, YOU! It's all your fault. You damn well better be prepared to do anything and everything to survive his All encompassing rage. He hates your naked guts. Especially women who don't have man god parts. He hates you so much, he can't even bear to look at you! Crawl on the ground you garbage, you utterly horrible piss, blood and shits. Bleed! Suffer! Better yet, bleed and suffer at the same time!

by Anonymousreply 11412/15/2011

R114, this is what happens when you try to withdraw from Xanax without medical supervision.

by Anonymousreply 11512/15/2011

R112...Hon, you do realize that if you go to Saudi Arabia, you'll be given a long prison sentence with hard labor?

by Anonymousreply 11812/15/2011

The thread is about American Muslims, not Muslims in Saudi Arabia. I've dealt with a couple of hijab wearing clerks at the local supermarket. They are bright, smiling, cheerful women that don't look like they'd cut anybody's head off.

I used to work with an Egytian woman. She said when she went back to Egypt, they had to wear some kind of modest coat or covering outside, then they went in the house, the coat came off, and they were all wearing tight jeans, high heels and makeup by the ton. Sounded like they brought a change of clothes to parties. In the US she didn't wear a hijab or anything but regular American clothes. I didn't even know she was Muslim until we became friends and she told me.

Not all Muslims are ax-murderers. A lot of the ones in the U.S. are fairly loose about following all the rules. Not all Christians are like the Duggars, either.

by Anonymousreply 11912/16/2011

[quote]We DO choose our religious beliefs, however, and they should be open to ridicule and discrimination.

In many households, your religious beliefs are chosen for you and then perhaps you decide whether to continue them after you've reached adulthood.

Most religious kooks indoctrinate their children before their kids have the mental capacity to understand what's happening to them.

by Anonymousreply 12012/16/2011

For me it's like a sign on their forehead:

YES, I'M A MORON!

It's also grossly insulting to men as the message it sends is: I'm wearing this because I'm treating you like a medieval desert arab and don't trust you to act responsibly in front of me.

So the idea of it been worn by a woman in a serving or hostess capacity is risible.

by Anonymousreply 12112/16/2011

I don't have a problem with the women who wear it, but that doesn't mean I don't feel sorry for them. It must feel like a trap to them - they are taught that they are responsible for men's behavior, so even in societies where they have a choice, they still feel compelled to wear it.

by Anonymousreply 12212/16/2011

I had a female student wearing a hijab in the university course I was teaching this semester. personally, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. The only time when I felt it was an issue was during the final exam since the invigilators were supposed to verify students' ID cards.

by Anonymousreply 12312/16/2011

When I was a kid I enjoyed it because I felt like I was in the Star Wars cantina.

by Anonymousreply 12412/16/2011

Doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I have never bothered to think about until you mentioned it, OP. It's their thing. I got mine, they got theirs.

by Anonymousreply 12512/16/2011

Women can wear whatever the fuck they want, and it's none of your business. Some of the people in this thread need to join the 21st century, but I don't think women wearing hijab need to. If you have a problem with it, it's your own fucking problem, not theirs.

by Anonymousreply 12712/16/2011

Yeah, R27, the 21st century is all about enabling retards from the 8th century to revel in their backwardness.

by Anonymousreply 12912/16/2011

R130 Please. Employers won't hire men with baggy pants or muscle shirts on. It's about what's appropriate.

Having women wear a hijab in non-Muslim countries is seen as a victory to Muslims because they are getting their way, they are not forced to wear other clothes. When non-Muslim women travel through Muslim countries they are forced to wear veils or other coverings, they are forced to conform to Muslim standards. Look at Barbara Walters and Diane Sawyer when they are in the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 13112/16/2011

Fine, R130. Realize that if you "choose" to be encased in a tent when you walk about in the civilized world you are going to creep the rest of us out.

by Anonymousreply 13212/16/2011

Holy crap some people on this thread must have been dropped on their heads quite hard.

If a woman serves you a cup of coffee wearing a head scarf it doesn't affect you one single bit. Did nobody grow up knowing any muslims? I had at least a couple of girls with hijabs in my class in different school since junior high or whatever you call it (I'm from Scandinavia) and some of these girls have more balls than most of you who complain about them. I'm not muslim and neither is anyone in my family except my dad but I am Arab so I get this shit all the time, Islamophobia isn't exclusively targeted at muslims but rather at anyone who looks Middle Eastern.

My sisters don't wear hijabs and nobody has forced them to but then again they aren't muslim so why should they. My mom, me and my siblings are athiest and have always somehow managed to live under the same roof with one of the most loving, caring men on earth who just happens to be muslim. Crazy, I know. You don't have to be religious, but if you want people to respect you for who you are then you can't cut them off before you even give them a chance.

by Anonymousreply 13312/16/2011

[quote]Realize that if you "choose" to be encased in a tent when you walk about in the civilized world you are going to creep the rest of us out.

If your so called civilised world includes judging people simply by what they wear and being creeped out by different cultural conventions I feel sorry for you and whatever country you come from.

For the rest of us accepting difference, individual choice and the freedom not to be controlled by the male gaze if we so choose is far more civilised.

I'm not religious, I wasn't born within a cultural group which chooses to dress differently or within one that discriminates against those who do. I support the rights of all adult men and women to make their own choices about dress, sexuality, politics and religion. You obviously come from a far more bigoted cultural group.

by Anonymousreply 13412/16/2011

I understand that the gay community feels resentment towards organized religion because we feel like they want to limit our rights, but seriously... If they don't like gay marriage I say then don't get one, stay out of it and don't vote against my rights. But if a woman wants to wear a headscarf I should stay out it and not fight against her rights to be who she is either. You can't assume that every single muslim is homophobic and a terrorist, that's fucking insane. I don't assume that every jewish person supports the state of Israel or that every American is stupid.

People seem to forget that while Islam often times seems like a religion that opresses women, which often times it really does, Islam is the actual faith of these women too. So because you assume the woman in a hijab is opressed by a terrorist, homophobic religion, she should give up her faith and the way she practises it even though it doesn't affect your life? Just like a homophobe sees you and your boyfriend sitting a little too close for his liking at the bar wants to limit your rights to marry and have a normal life even though the way you live your life doesn't actually affect him?

by Anonymousreply 13512/16/2011

R133, your English is amazingly good for someone who claims to be Scandinavian. And your defense of your Muslim heritage is admirable.

I think you could persuade me to do things I never contemplated before.

by Anonymousreply 13612/16/2011

r136 Thanks! Lots of my Swedish peers' English is very good. I can come across a little strong talking about these things but I'm so fed up with all the bullshit. It's difficult finding a place in the world when you're Arab and gay but I'm just trying to bridge the gap as much as I can.

by Anonymousreply 13712/16/2011

[quote]some of these girls have more balls than most of you who complain about them

I can only assume a lot of the men here only watch the right wing press and don't look outside their own country for the news. Hijab wearing women have been the mainstay of the 'Arab Spring' revolutions. All over Europe highly educated women are at the forefront of protest movements and yes, some of them wear hijabs. But maybe you don't see them because, oh, they don't fit your narrow idea of what is acceptable and they're not dressing the way women 'should' dress. Or do you just not notice because they are women.

by Anonymousreply 13812/16/2011

Close, r128, but try agnostic female who has spent time living in predominantly Muslim countries and has many Muslim friends in the US and abroad, some who wear hijab and some who don't, and each who has personal reasons for that decision. It seems to me that people who hold the view that wearing hijab automatically equals oppression and backwards thinking must not know many actual Muslims.

Is there a place for a discussion about the role of women inside Islam and the oppression of women living in Muslim societies? Sure, but if we are really interested in empowerment, we should be listening to what actual Muslim women have to say about it and should let them make their own decisions with regards to how they want to dress and what that means to them. It doesn't help the cause of feminism for some paternalistic outsiders to go around telling Muslim women they are oppressed and need to dress the way they tell them to instead.

by Anonymousreply 14012/16/2011

People like R48 spend so much time hating everyone for being different and then whine about our lack of diversion.

They're just being Contrary Mary's.

Ignore him and the other shit stirrers on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 14212/17/2011

diversity...not diversion.

Sorry...too much pot tonight.

by Anonymousreply 14312/17/2011

You know nothing about me R142. I have stated that I don't like anything to do with religion. I feel religion is the root of all of the world's problems and I stand by my initial statement.

I am not a shit stirrer nor did I whine about "our lack of diversity" nor am I a "Contrary Mary."

And please tell me how much time I spend "hating everyone."

by Anonymousreply 14412/17/2011

I'm prejudice. The hijab I care lesser about but when I see a woman walking around in a burka, I see someone who is mentally ill. I can't help it. And I have no desire to change my perception nor any desire to attempt to understand their choice. The look says "I'm invisible. Don't look at me.". I feel like I'm suppose to not notice they're there and that there's suppose to be something wrong with me when I notice they're there. And I'm a woman. The message to men is much, much worse.

by Anonymousreply 14612/17/2011

r141 Most religions are "ancient" with Islam being the youngest out of the Abrahamic religions.

As I stated, I agree that in many parts of the world women living with this faith are opressed, that's obvious, but that doesn't mean that All muslims are evil. If a woman feels a sense of pride and dignity in wearing a headscarf and expressing her faith (as long as no one is getting hur) then so be it.

You can pretend to be an expert on my family-situation all you want but maybe it's too mind-boggling for you face the idea of "friendly-Arab" so I'm not even going to address that.

All I wish is for people not to direct their anger and disgust towards the woman with a piece of textile on her head. If she's opressed by her husband then it's truly awful, but in many cases she's just expressing her faith and you can't judge a whole character and expect to know her life story just by glancing at her.

It sounds like you've had some difficult experiences with muslims and that's horrible, but that doesn't give you the right to judge a whole culture and religion. I've had difficult experiences with white people judging me on the basis of my name and the way I look but that hasn't lead me to make a collective judgement towards them, my mother and boyfriend are white. Hell, I'm "half white" but you wouldn't know that just by looking at me.

And one last thing, if my dad would suddenly ask me to put on a hijab out of the blue I'd assume he'd lost it since he know's I'm gay, not trans.

by Anonymousreply 14712/17/2011

hye-jab?

by Anonymousreply 14812/17/2011

I hope you're kidding r150.

Integration, not assimilation.

by Anonymousreply 15112/17/2011

In much of eastern Europe the Christian women always wear scarves over their hair. They come here to the US and usually they drop the scarves in a generation. I wonder if the Moslem women will do likewise?

When Christian women in the US wear scarves, no one says anything to them about it.

by Anonymousreply 15312/17/2011

r152 Oh yeah how could I forget, the Muslim agenda is out to take over the world. Just like how me and my gay friends want to make and adopt tons of babies and make them gay so that they can rule and infest everyone's minds. There is no agenda, give me a break.

Don't equate terrorism with a world religion.

by Anonymousreply 15412/17/2011

I had the unfortunate honor of doing some work for a Moslem charter school in DC about 12 years ago. Never again. The male teacher was constantly flirting with women and touching them inappropriately. And the girls wore chadors but were the most immoral teenage girls I've ever seen. we used to call them "Whores in Chadors." The hypocrisy was mind-blowing.

That said, I have also met too many fine & wonderful Moslems to think that the charter school experience was common in the Moslem world. And there is enormous diversity of beliefs amongst Moslems. In Indonesia, Moslem women dress more like American women than like Saudi women.

by Anonymousreply 15512/17/2011

Male hijab

by Anonymousreply 15612/17/2011

I don't mind women wearing what they want to wear, as long as it's their choice. I don't like coercion. I grew up Catholic and was used to seeing veils around our house, because before the Second Vatican Council, it was customary for women to wear veils (in Spanish, mantillas) over their heads when attending mass or entering a church.

In many Catholic and Orthodox cathedrals and churches people are expected to wear appropriately modest clothing (no cleavage, bare shoulders or short shorts.) Back a couple of decades they would also require a head-covering of some kind.

It is likely that many Muslim women living in the West will wear scarves and head-coverings as a gesture to Islamic modesty, and many will eschew the practice entirely, or save it for special occasions, or for attending Mosque.

For Americans, the discomfort is simply the fact that we never really encountered people practicing this religion which is dominant in 1/4 of the world's population.

The world is getting smaller, folks, so we need more tolerance, not less. We're not accommodating them, just realizing that they have a right to live the way they want too.

by Anonymousreply 15712/17/2011

Do you mean "muslim private school?" There shouldn't be any Muslim Charter schools, since they get public funds. That would be like having a Catholic Charter school. No way would that be allowed.

by Anonymousreply 15812/17/2011

[quote]You can pretend to be an expert on my family-situation all you want but maybe it's too mind-boggling for you face the idea of "friendly-Arab" so I'm not even going to address that.

I'm not referring to your father's niceness, I'm referring to the way he chooses to practice his religion. You are holding him up as an example of an average Muslim when you know that's not the case. I'd say, world-wide, ninety percent of Muslim males would see the act of your father marrying a non-Muslim woman and having children who do not follow Islam as an affront to their religion.

[quote]And one last thing, if my dad would suddenly ask me to put on a hijab out of the blue I'd assume he'd lost it since he know's I'm gay, not trans.

Then answer the question as if you were a female or as if you were one of your sisters and they were all of a sudden told by their father to wear a hijab or be banished from the family. And, no, I don't want to hear "Well, they're adults so..." or "Well, I'm not them, so..." as an answer. The problem is that you understand the point I'm trying to make and are avoiding answering the question in order to not prove my point.

Wearing the hijab is not voluntary, under any circumstances. There are only two reasons a woman would cover herself in order to no entice the 'animalistic males who can't help themselves'...one is that they are being forced to by a male who controls them or they have been brainwashed since birth. I guess a third could be that they've lost their minds, which is what I think of any modern woman who voluntarily converts to this, or any, misogynistic religion.

by Anonymousreply 15912/18/2011

R158, yes, you are right. It was a Muslim private school, not a charter school. I just googled it to check. Luckily it went out of business 10 years ago. It was a hellish little place. FAR FAR worse than the terrible public schools in the area where it was located.

It opened up when loads of charter schools started opening in DC so I was thinking it was one of them. It was not.

by Anonymousreply 16012/18/2011

[quote]'d say, world-wide, ninety percent of Muslim males would see the act of your father marrying a non-Muslim woman and having children who do not follow Islam as an affront to their religion.

You're talking crap. It's clear you've not had much contact with Muslims, let alone the average ones in the UK, Malaysia, or quite frankly anywhere else in the world outside what you get reported in your press.

[quote]Wearing the hijab is not voluntary, under any circumstances.

Again absolute crap. The Arab Spring revolutions have for the most part been led by women who have chosen to wear the hijab, and n most other countries where Islam is practiced wearing it is an individual woman's choice. Of course there are countries that legislate and we should all be helping women to fight that, but for the vast majority of Muslims this is far more a voluntary act than, oh lets say, wearing a turban if you are a Sikh.

Do Sikhs make you fell uncomfortable BTW?

by Anonymousreply 16112/18/2011

Women's gains in Arab Spring more mirage than miracle

by Anonymousreply 16212/18/2011

by Anonymousreply 16312/18/2011

Why are they Burning their veils?

by Anonymousreply 16412/18/2011

Fixed link

by Anonymousreply 16512/18/2011

Arab Spring is over. The army cracked down in Egypt.

by Anonymousreply 16612/18/2011

Congratulations on a successful troll, OP.

by Anonymousreply 16712/18/2011

R161...um, you're going too far. Women are not free to choose the hijab in many Muslim countries. Let's not pretend. in confronting hysterical anti-Muslim prejudice, people sometimes go way too far in the other direction.

by Anonymousreply 16812/18/2011

I just want a woman to be wearing SOMETHING when she comes up to me! Now, a good looking man, that's a different thing.

by Anonymousreply 16912/18/2011

r159 I don't really know how to reply because I think it's a weird question.

If I was one of my sisters and my dad would suddenly force me to do something against my will while completely changing his belief-system then we would have some problems because that would be completely out of character for him, I would lose respect and not do it. We're all adults so we don't "have to do" anything.

We can't agree because you refuse to believe that there are women who want and choose to do this to honor their faith, not to please the men around them. Covering up for the wrong reasons isn't good but if it gives you a sense of dignity then so be it.

by Anonymousreply 17012/18/2011

anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 17109/23/2012

What difference does it make? It's not like it's gonna make your food taste different.

by Anonymousreply 17209/23/2012

[quote]Oh I do an internal eye roll at piercings, tattoos, blue hair, goth outfits, etc., too, [R13].

It sounds like you should spend all your time in a plastic bubble. Other people and differences of taste clearly offend your hyperdelicate sensibilities too much for you to live out in the real world.

by Anonymousreply 17309/23/2012

I got confused for a minute and thought we were talking about the burqa, so I voted no.

Truth is, it depends on the profession for me.

If we are talking about a check out girl or a barrista, then I don't think it's a problem. If it's my dentist or hairdresser, then yes. If someone is going to get that close to me then I need it to be someone I can trust, on some level, and to trust someone I need to see their whole face.

by Anonymousreply 17409/23/2012

This thread is obviously old and R168's brilliance is probably no longer with us, but here goes:

There are around 50 Muslim-majority countries. None but three mandate the hijab: Saudi Arabia, Iran and Afghanistan(?).

R170, no point in discussing anything with someone so arrogant as to claim he knows what hundreds of millions of people think based on nothing but the garbage fed to him by the media and sitting on his ass in front of the computer.

When the media discusses the Middle East or the Muslim world in general, and chooses not to invite actual Arabs or Muslims onto the panels (because what would they know about the Middle East, eh?), assume there's a concerted effort to keep you ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 17509/23/2012

You seem to be having some kind of confusion here, r174. Typically, the hijab reveals the whole face--it just covers the hair.

Do you need to see their hair to trust them? Or are you afraid they're hiding secret weapons in there they might pull out while you're in the dentist's chair?

"Die, complacent infidel!"

by Anonymousreply 17609/23/2012

Hijab doesn't cover the face, R174:

by Anonymousreply 17709/23/2012

I would have a problem with a waitress being Muslim because her religion would prevent her from serving me alcohol. And that's really the only reason.

by Anonymousreply 17809/23/2012

I'm from Canada and a muslim cleric in one of our provinces was criticized for saying gays should be put to death. He got himself out of hot water by saying he only meant under shariah law which would only happen in canada when muslims become the majority.

Now when I see increasing numbers of muslims I see it as a step towards a muslim majority at which time we will have to live under shariah law and gays (among others) will face the death penalty.

The hijab itself isn't what is dangerous, its the ideology, religious beliefs and political/legal system it represents. In Islam, there is no division between church and state. The goal of muslims is for the world to be under muslim dominance and live under islamic (shariah) laws which include gays being put to death, men being allowed multiple wives but women put to death for adultery, and people put to death for blasphemy.

by Anonymousreply 17909/23/2012

As a gay male I am confused by the head cover.

I know that some Christian women wear a scarf of a head cover of sorts (the Sunday Doily) showing modesty to God.

But I get that wig wearing Hasidim wives and Moslem women wear the head covering to not inflame the sexual desires of men.

So when I see a Moslem woman in full head gear, I take it that she assumes I am inflammable by the sight of her hair.

I am doubly confused when I see a woman in full head gear with perfect makeup, as in r176, which is designed to inflame men's passions.

But because I am a dick at heart, I suppress the urge to tell women in a head covering "bet you have real sexy hair under there."

by Anonymousreply 18009/23/2012

I know it doesn't cover the whole face but often it will cover some of the upper forehead, as well as the neck and hair. It just makes me feel like I'm not seeing the whole person and I find it alienating. Obviously I just avoid going to dentists and hairdressers in hijab.

by Anonymousreply 18109/23/2012

I honestly don't see what the problem is. It's merely a headscarf. Lots of women wore them outside when I was kid.

by Anonymousreply 18209/23/2012

R178? You do realize there are supermarkets owned by Muslims selling alcohol and pork products, right?

When I go to Dunkin Donuts, they're serving sandwiches made with pork products and a couple of the places I've been to have workers wearing hijabs.

If a Muslim had an issue serving alcohol or pork, they wouldn't work there. A lot of them don't care.

by Anonymousreply 18309/23/2012

There are around 50 Muslim-majority countries. None but three mandate the hijab: Saudi Arabia, Iran and Afghanistan(?).

"[R170], no point in discussing anything with someone so arrogant as to claim he knows what hundreds of millions of people think based on nothing but the garbage fed to him by the media and sitting on his ass in front of the computer.

When the media discusses the Middle East or the Muslim world in general, and chooses not to invite actual Arabs or Muslims onto the panels (because what would they know about the Middle East, eh?), assume there's a concerted effort to keep you ignorant."

Yet they all or most muslim countries have harsh punishments (including death) for homosexuality, female infedility (yet allow men to have multiple wives) and blasphemy.

by Anonymousreply 18409/23/2012

R184, are you really silly enough to believe most of these countries even enforce these laws? Do you really think there are just thousands of prisons full of gays and women all over the Muslim world just waiting to be put to death? Do you also believe the police are just walking around waiting to catch cheating women and gays?

Do they need to be reformed? Hell yes. But give me a break with the hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 18509/23/2012

Yep, keep making excuses and false equivalencies for these nutjobs. It will be super fun when they start demanding all women do this.

by Anonymousreply 18609/23/2012

I don't like religidiots of any flavor, so no.

by Anonymousreply 18709/23/2012

[quote]Now when I see increasing numbers of muslims I see it as a step towards a muslim majority at which time we will have to live under shariah law and gays (among others) will face the death penalty.

Yep. This is the stated goal. They are open about it. Look at European countries, where they've turned their little enclaves into backwards ghettos.

by Anonymousreply 18809/23/2012

R186/R188, pretty obvious what kind of person you are. It's not worth talking to someone who accuses people of "making excuses," then does the essentially the same thing himself, but from the other side.

You're just as ignorant as anyone who excuses all Muslims, but it's cute that you think you're the enlightened one.

by Anonymousreply 18909/23/2012

[quote]You do realize there are supermarkets owned by Muslims selling alcohol and pork products, right?

I don't hang out with a lot of supermarket owners, so I don't know the faith they may have.

[quote]When I go to Dunkin Donuts, they're serving sandwiches made with pork products and a couple of the places I've been to have workers wearing hijabs.

One place I wouldn't be caught dead in, however I take it your point is that Muslims can be just like a lot of Christians and that their faith is window-dressing. Just for appearances but not actually wanting to go out of their way for their belief system. That bites because people like that reinforce the oppressive religion without actually subscribing to it. I'm not sure why you would want me to respect that.

Personally, I'm tired of the big push on websites to normalize Muslims and to say hey, they are no different than Christians. I don't really want to respect Christians either. All people of faith are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 19009/23/2012

Let's remember there are all sorts of religious groups that use clothes and their hair to express, in a deliberate way, their religion. It isn't just Muslims that walk that path.

Personlly, I find that "in your face" expression of religion bording on offensive. It is almost as bad as those who can't discuss anything unless they work religion into the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 19109/23/2012

R185, so you are okay with the death penalty for homosexuality if is not rigorously enforced?

by Anonymousreply 19209/23/2012

1) One can complain about it but there are tons of other traditional religious pieces of attire worn by both men and women. Of various sects.

2) These men and women have the right to earn a living just like anyone else.

But you all know that, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 19309/25/2012

It really doesn't bother me. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who feels things that aren't my business should not bother me.

by Anonymousreply 19409/25/2012

[quote] These men and women have the right to earn a living just like anyone else.

Maybe the religidiots should start their own businesses, keeping custom of their own kind then.

by Anonymousreply 19509/25/2012

R192, list the countries where there's a death penalty for gays. I know about Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and Iran.

What are the rest of them? Indonesia? Syria?

by Anonymousreply 19609/25/2012

[quote]Maybe the religidiots should start their own businesses, keeping custom of their own kind then.

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 19709/25/2012

[quote]I don't agree with their beliefs on sexuality but they are one religion where the men are men.

Bullshite. Real men are not so insecure that they need to cover their women to keep other 'real' men from looking at them. Real men are secure enough to allow their women to be full citizens. Real men do not need to dominate women to make themselves appear more important.

by Anonymousreply 20001/12/2013

If Christians had a similar type of garb, I wouldn't like it either. It shows they are devoutly religious and therefore [italic]most likely[/italic] anti-gay. I wouldn't want a phobe serving me food because I usually eat out with my husband and kids so it's fairly evident we're gay.

by Anonymousreply 20101/12/2013

F&F for the bigot who insisted on bumping this bullshit to start another flame war.

by Anonymousreply 20301/12/2013

It's their business and none of mine, unless it's a job where it's violating some requirement or could get caught in machinery.

by Anonymousreply 20401/12/2013

I see the hijab as a sign for submission and sexism. I hate to admitt it but I hate the Muslim religion as much as I hate Christian fundies. BTW "internal eye Roll" won this thread.

by Anonymousreply 20601/12/2013

[quote]BTW "internal eye Roll" won this thread.

"internal eye Roll" is a sanctimonious little wussy.

by Anonymousreply 20701/12/2013

This thread makes me very sad. A lot of Muslim women do not wear the hijab and, when they do, it is their own choice to do so. Wearing a hijab doesn't mean a woman is being oppressed; what is oppressive is someone telling them how they should feel regarding their religious beliefs and practices.

In 2008, I was verbally abused due to my religion and race because some ignorant protesters thought I supported Prop 8. I was hurt but I'd have been stupid to blame an entire group because some asshats judged me without knowing me. The same applies here: saying you feel uncomfortable around a woman with a hijab is no different from someone refusing service from someone with piercings or tattoos. You don't have to agree with their choices but respect is due to a fellow human being.

by Anonymousreply 20801/12/2013

Not in the service industry.. it's fine. It doesn't really affect anyone if the waitress or whatever is wearing a hijab. But as a police officer etc? Yep.. that I do have a problem with, because police is supposed to be neutral. It would be wrong to let them show off their religion.

by Anonymousreply 20901/12/2013

I don't get the big deal with the hijab. At least you cans see their faces. But a burka is definitely too much. I can deal with a hijab but not with a burka. The burka should be banned imo.

by Anonymousreply 21001/12/2013

can*

by Anonymousreply 21101/12/2013

Would it bother you if a KKK member wore their hood as they took your order at Starbucks?

by Anonymousreply 21201/12/2013

[quote]Oh I do an internal eye roll at piercings, tattoos, blue hair, goth outfits, etc., too

So you're an intolerant bigot. Not exactly something to brag about.

by Anonymousreply 21301/12/2013

[quote]Would it bother you if a KKK member wore their hood as they took your order at Starbucks?

This is so unbelievably ignorant it's hard to know how to respond.

It's sad that so many who post here are intolerant and bigoted.

[Or maybe it's just the same 10 dickheads posting on multiple threads).

by Anonymousreply 21501/12/2013

R214 sounds about 15. Please ignore him R208. I suggest you don't read any more of this thread. It's a particularly vile Datalounge thread. Not all the posts, but why was it even started in the first place?

Why do people think it's cool to brag about how intolerant they are?

by Anonymousreply 21601/12/2013

[quote]This is so unbelievably ignorant it's hard to know how to respond.

You've decided it was ignorant but lack the power or knowledge to say why. It has nothing to do with the idea you are attacking.

by Anonymousreply 21701/12/2013

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 21801/12/2013

Save it R216. If Christians were wearing that shit you'd be all over it. Where is your tolerence? You are a hypocritical bitch. I do not like religion nor what it stands for. I don't do the pc shit. They all need to be held accountable. Trashing people who don't agree with you won't change that.

by Anonymousreply 21901/12/2013

We are talking about a religion that teaches it followers that gays should be put to death! That's not intolerant R215?

by Anonymousreply 22001/12/2013

Unless the woman hands you a letter condemning homosexuality after you've paid, you shouldn't have an issue with it.

There are enough Christian loons to keep you busy.

by Anonymousreply 22101/12/2013

For many Muslim women it is a choice they make. It isn't because they're oppressed (or no more oppressed than anyone who follows a religion).

The hijab only covers the hair. Banning it would be as ludicrous as banning hats.

It feels like the Datalounge has it's own little coven of neonazis here,

by Anonymousreply 22201/12/2013

I do not need to be visually assaulted by their shitty archaic women-hating gay-hating violent religion. Any woman who is religious enough to be wearing a hijab should be religious enough to know that she is forbidden from working anyway.

Fuck all Musselmans. They are a scourge upon the Earth.

by Anonymousreply 22301/12/2013

[quote]We are talking about a religion that teaches it followers that gays should be put to death! That's not intolerant?

So your argument is that everyone should be intolerant? That's going to get us a long way.

R208 is a muslim and obviously does not want to put gays to death. Don't generalise. Just as with Christianity, some Muslims are fundamentalists, and some are not.

by Anonymousreply 22401/12/2013

R223, how in the hell do you think you're any better than a homophobe with what you just wrote?

[quote]I do not need to be visually assaulted

What an embarrassingly moronic Mary.

No one has to be "pc" to know that what you just wrote is no different than someone applying the worst stereotypes to gay people just on sight or that a black person is a criminal on sight.

Most religions look unfavorably on gay people, that doesn't mean every person practicing that religion subscribes to every single tenet of that religion. Grow the hell up, you backwards-thinking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 22501/12/2013

Actually, it is you, the defender of religion, who is the backwards thinker. Religion is what is holding humanity back from achieving true greatness. Only when we are free of all religious thought will we conquer interstellar space, end hunger and war and poverty, and make scientific breakthroughs heretofore relegated to the pages of science fiction novels.

Religion is mind-numbingly horrid, and Islam is among the most horrid of them all.

by Anonymousreply 22701/12/2013

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 22801/12/2013

R14, I'm not a "hypocritical lesbian" but am female; so much for being sure. Internal eye roll, indeed.

LOL, R224, I'm actually a Roman Catholic but have friends across various religions; some of the kindest people I've met have been agnostic or atheist. Had I judged some of these people based on their "lack of religion", I would have missed out on great friendships; we can ask each other questions without belittling the other and agree to disagree.

Judging a entire group based on the worst they have to offer is irresponsible and just plain lazy.

by Anonymousreply 22901/12/2013

Many things are holding us back. Fundamentalist faiths ARE holding us back, but not all religion. I'm an agnostic but acknowledge that certain sections of organised religion are actually very good for society.

What's holding us (as in the human race) back is the insistence that we in the west should all be permitted to live extravagantly (or aspire to that), while the have nots of this world don't even get to eat properly let alone be educated. That's what leads to terrorism.

Having access to education is evidentally not the entire answer though given some of the stupid posts on this thread e.g. the person who can't tell the difference between the KKK and a young women wearing the hajib.

by Anonymousreply 23001/12/2013

Sure, R227. There's nothing backwards whatsoever about judging a person based solely on what they are wearing which is exactly what you did. You could not be less evolved unless you started throwing your own feces.

Those like you and R228 who immediately turn this debate into a defense of *a* religion so as to validate your own bigotry, do yourselves no favors.

This is about defending individuals and their right to wear what they want without morons like you two thinking they should be attacked for it. Just because you've decided over a billion people all fall into some ridiculous, exaggerated, hateful stereotype doesn't mean the rest of us should. I guess by your definition of a Muslim, you two must be Muslims because you're both ignorant, hateful idiots.

by Anonymousreply 23101/12/2013

Oh or heaven's sake. Stop defending the archaic practice of women covering their hair because a woman's body is a sinful, tempting instrument of the devil. No one should defend such ridiculous nnsense. The fact that there are self-loathing women who 'choose' this does not make it okay. It is not liberalism to support archaic practices based in misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 23201/12/2013

Well said.

by Anonymousreply 23301/12/2013

In America they wear it by choice. In most muslim countries they wear it under law!

by Anonymousreply 23401/12/2013

Yes. It is going to far with the multi culti, sorry. Muslim nations are so anti-gay,why would I want there culture here?

by Anonymousreply 23501/12/2013

[quote]some of the kindest people I've met have been agnostic or atheist.

Of course. We're kind to people because we actually want to be and aren't trying to gain some reward or be spared some punishment on "Judgement Day."

by Anonymousreply 23601/12/2013

You are all so ignorant. Do you know how embarrassing it is to go against the norm as it is. They get stared at and ridiculed every day over something they wear over their religion. You don't see anyone complaining when someone wears their cross necklace out from under their shirts if they are in the service industry.

by Anonymousreply 23701/12/2013

R213 yup he Sounds like an Old repug... Well they are all Old but...

by Anonymousreply 23801/12/2013

Gee R237,poor fucking babys!

by Anonymousreply 23901/13/2013

Um, 237, it IS the norm in Muslim culture. You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 24201/13/2013

It's a free country but I can't say it does them any favours.

by Anonymousreply 24301/13/2013

R241 is exactly right. This place takes great pride in its hatred of religious expression. Except for the Muslims. Then it's nothing but praise and adoration. Which is curious given that the Muslim religion is bitterly homophobic, and led by fundies. The very people that are loathed in other religions. LOTS of hypocrasy here.

by Anonymousreply 24401/13/2013

It has alot to do with FEAR R244! Attacking Islam for it's intolerence might mean car bombs going off at gay pride! Look what happened when that YouTube video aired. All the radical Muslims in Europe rioted, destroyed property, held up signs saying "To hell with democracy, Islam is coming". When have you seen the Christians, Jews, Hindu's trash the Castro when they get offended? NEVER!

by Anonymousreply 24501/13/2013

Looks like the freepers have arrived.

by Anonymousreply 24601/13/2013

R244, you're an idiot for several reasons.

No one is defending Islam. Where on DL have you seen people attacking someone for wearing a yarmulke or a turban or a cross? That's the point, you illiterate fuck.

You're too stupid to see that we're talking about not attacking some woman just because she wears a fucking scarf on her head. It's none of your fucking business if she does, just like it's none of your fucking business if someone wears a turban or a cross or a yarmulke. You don't have the right to attack someone for it, you troglodyte.

I cannot believe how embarrassingly stupid some of you are because you're so full of hate for millions and millions of people you don't even know, but just assume every single one is looking to kill. Grow up, ya idiots.

by Anonymousreply 24701/13/2013

Anyone else want to weight in during this rather sensitive time?

by Anonymousreply 24804/23/2013

Nobody?

by Anonymousreply 24904/24/2013

I have a friend who gets occasional shit for wearing a hijab at work. She didn't when I first met her, but then after her sister died and she made her pilgrimage to Mecca she became more religious and started wearing it (along with an American flag pin so people wouldn't accuse her of being a terrorist.) I honestly don't see what the big fuss is all about. It's not hurting anybody.

by Anonymousreply 25004/24/2013

247 is a bleeding heart liberal.

See who will defend you when you let people know you are gay.

It will not be the ones who come here and insist on bringing their baggage with them and using the U.S. and uninformed people like you.

They hate you. And you defend them?

Remember hearing about when the great immigration movement came from Western Europe and these people all wanted to become Americans?

Immigrants now not so much.

Get some education.

by Anonymousreply 25104/10/2014

R251, is the biggest asshat. No idea what he's talking about.

by Anonymousreply 25204/10/2014

oh yeah, I am gonna be skeered by a woman wearing something on her head, and it is my American right to expect her to be Anglo-Saxon and all. I buy most of my stuff online from amazon and don't like to go out to eat, so I guess I am safe. at this juncture, I am guessing we need a lot MORE women in the service industry wearing the Hijab to help erode the fear of it all.

by Anonymousreply 25304/11/2014

There's a Starbucks employee, an average-looking American woman of European descent. Plump, neither ugly nor pretty. She must have converted, and, honestly, the juxtaposition of the whitebread woman wrapped in the cultural trappings of Islam is offputting in a way I can't pinpoint.

Not defending my bias, just acknowledging it. I like classic American culture, and it saddens me to know it'll be lost to attrition and demographic changes. Prefer seeing Mexicanization to Islam making inroads.

and, honestly, if I'm in line at a government facility and see an African-American woman in Islamic trappings attendant, I'll seek another line. Jusy from prior experience.

Love Oriana Failacci shedding her sheet while interviewing Khomeini, calling it a medeival rag

by Anonymousreply 25404/11/2014

I don't think a hijab is the same as any traditional grab. That it is an expression of the place women and their bodies are placed in society makes it more objectionable to me than a tattoo or piercing.

by Anonymousreply 25504/11/2014

Sorry it just looks weird and I doubt Muslim women would wear a veil if their anti feminist society wouldn't force them too.

by Anonymousreply 25604/11/2014

I like it. Sometimes you have to figure out that someone is a moron. With that, you can tell right away so it's a real time-saver!

by Anonymousreply 25704/11/2014

I have to confess that I grimace every time I see a woman wearing one. The whole Islamic world needs brought into the 21st century, for the sanity of themselves as well as everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 25804/11/2014

This girl, and I know her, wants us to believe she has a "special relationship" with Obama. The truth is she is cray-cray.

by Anonymousreply 25904/11/2014

Very tiresome. I liken them to the Walking Dead. I see more and more. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, people. You leave your countries where it is acceptable and flaunt it here. Freedom to express one's religion not withstanding, it doesn't belong here. One day we will be surrounded by the Walking Dead and it will be too late. We will be an annex to the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 26004/11/2014

If it is against company dress code then YES it is inappropriate...a devout religionist should not seek employment where they know the "garb" will not be allowed and then demand special concessions while angling for a "discrimination" payout. Look how well that worked out for Disney despite their MORE than reasonable attempts at accomodation...including imagineering a special head covering uniform for her.

Incidentally, there is no Quranic mandate to wear hijab...it just says to dress modestly. The hijab is a tribal tradition...and a controlling patriarcal,political and domineering one at that.

by Anonymousreply 26104/11/2014

I'm sure some of the people attacking these women and every Muslim in general whines about anti-Christian/anti-Jewish bigotry on DL, but there are now several anti-Muslim threads going.

Zero ability to be introspective.

by Anonymousreply 26204/11/2014

Actually, I think it's desirable in a job around food. Keeps the hair out.

by Anonymousreply 26304/11/2014

R263.

That's what hairnets are for sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 26404/11/2014

Would these same companies fire a religious Jewish woman for wearing a wig or a Jewish man from wearing a yarmulke? Would they stop some fundie from wearing skirts well below the knee and odd looking tops? What about an Amish woman wearing a prayer cap if any of them have outside jobs? If the answer is no then for sure they have no right to go after the Muslim way of dress.

by Anonymousreply 26504/11/2014

I want a hijab-wearing barista NOW.

by Anonymousreply 26604/11/2014

R262, oh please. You're tired, go to sleep.

Religion should not be a protected class. Religions are the most powerful and oppressive institutions on Earth. They are not 'oppressed'. And it's certainly not something like race or sexual orientation. There's no 'right' to wear a scarf to cover your head, because you're a vile, filthy woman who incites poor helpless men to rape you. The custom is bizarre and rooted in misogyny. Follow the fucking dress code and STFU.

by Anonymousreply 26704/11/2014

anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 26810/26/2014

I avoid the line with the muslim woman if possible. Islam is evil.

by Anonymousreply 26910/26/2014

As long as they don't cover the face, I have no problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 27010/26/2014

"I avoid the line with the muslim woman if possible. Islam is evil."

You wrote this to be ironic, right?

Because if you're under the impression that your behavior is anything short of loathsome, then you're also an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 27110/26/2014
Need more help? Click Here.