Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Shawshank

Best movie evah. I know it's a straight guy flick but whatever. The ginger "bull queer" is hot.

by Anonymousreply 5807/24/2013

"I love it when she does that thing with her hair."

by Anonymousreply 112/13/2011

A big favorite amongst people with no taste.

by Anonymousreply 212/13/2011

Who plays the ginger bull queer? I've never bothered to watch this str8 bait film, but I'm a sucker for ginger bull queers. SERIOUSLY!

by Anonymousreply 312/13/2011

No taste? Really? What's wrong with the movie and please provide a list of movies for those with taste, so that we might point and laugh.

by Anonymousreply 412/13/2011

What's a bull queer?

by Anonymousreply 512/13/2011

Makes me want to visit Zijuatanejo.

by Anonymousreply 612/13/2011

Anday...Anday. Anday!

by Anonymousreply 712/13/2011

Bogs was the ginger guy. The prison guard leader was HOT.

by Anonymousreply 812/13/2011

Straight guys think this is a better movie than Citizen Kane

by Anonymousreply 912/13/2011

Certainly not all of them, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1012/13/2011

I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

by Anonymousreply 1112/13/2011

No matter how many times I see it, I cry at the "Marriage of Figaro" scene.

by Anonymousreply 1212/13/2011

Great movie!

by Anonymousreply 1312/13/2011

It ranks pretty high on most of the Best Movies Ever lists. I thought it was pretty good, and I have to admit the brutal head guard Capt. Hadley was pretty damn hot.

by Anonymousreply 1412/13/2011

Watch it every time I come across it on TV.

by Anonymousreply 1512/13/2011

Only on lists chosen by "the people of the Internet," r14. I doubt any filmmaker or film critic would put it on their lost.

by Anonymousreply 1612/13/2011

Yeah R16, because no one in this day and age uses the Internet for reviews.

by Anonymousreply 1712/13/2011

hate it when the young fella gets shot

love it when the bull queer gets what he deserves

by Anonymousreply 1812/13/2011

I guess [R2] is the biggest film snob that has ever existed. What is your favorite movie?

by Anonymousreply 1912/14/2011

Much too dark and depressing for my tastes. I can never get through several scenes of it w/out fast forwarding because the misery is so palpable. Even the ending doesn't seem particularly happy to me - so they finally get away and the prison's corruption is uncovered, so what? It doesn't take away the years of suffering Andy and Red and the others endured.

by Anonymousreply 2012/14/2011

Manipulative, paint-by-the-numbers garbage.

by Anonymousreply 2112/14/2011

Remember hope is a good thing and no good thing ever dies.

by Anonymousreply 2212/14/2011

It's a great film.

by Anonymousreply 2312/14/2011

The last thing that went through the Warden's head . . . before the bullet.

It's entertaining. The Morgan Freeman character finding the town, and then the field, and then the oak tree, and then the fence, then the rock, then the money under the rock, and then remembering the name of the town in Mexico was Zijuatanejo is a real stretch, but I'll go with it.

by Anonymousreply 2412/14/2011

r16 7 Academy Award Nominations disprove your point.

by Anonymousreply 2512/14/2011

LOVE this movie, which had the unfortunate luck of opening the same time as FORREST GUMP. FG took home most of its categories at the OSCARS.

SR didn't win anything.

by Anonymousreply 2612/14/2011

He gets out of the jail, how compelling!

by Anonymousreply 2712/14/2011

The film is awesome OP. Don't listen to the "oh so snarky" queens. I work in film and am very jaded. Don't like most films. This film still gets me. Those queenfaces just like to pretend that they know more then you. It's a queeny thing.

by Anonymousreply 2812/14/2011

Get busy living or get busy dying.

by Anonymousreply 2912/14/2011

[quote]Much too dark and depressing for my tastes.

LOL! It's mindless, feel good cheese.

by Anonymousreply 3012/14/2011

[quote] I first cam across your writings about six years ago when I innocently bought Pragmatism, Modernism and plowed through it in three days. About an hour after I finished the book I walked across the street to watch The Shawshank Redemption and had an absolute life crisis. I spent the next two hours squirming in my seat trying to suppress my rage. I couldnt figure out what was most upsetting: the crass manipulation that I was being subjected to (and had unknowingly been subjected to view years and years of other "good" "well acted" movies with "good dialogue" and "interesting plots"), or the fact that your book had robbed me of the ability to sit back and enjoy what in the past I would always have considered a "pretty good movie". Some months later your "Chilly View" interview was published and that clinched it. I spent the next several months digging up every other book and article of yours that I could find, burning my eyes out at the microfilm machine and severely irritating my local libraries, who eventually got so sick of me that she told me that I was selfishly abusing the interlibrary periodical loan system. This was very embarrassing, and she still gives me a "oh you pain in the ass" look every time I visit the library. I can honestly say without any hyperbole that your writings have completely changed the way that I think about films, all art and ultimately even the way I think about my life. It felt strange and sort of silly to think that a book of film criticism had changed my life in such a profound and overarching way (and I apologize because I know it must really sound like Im pouring it on here) but its true. Thank you for showing me things that I have never seen or thought of before, and for giving form to things that I had felt and thought but had never been able to articulate. Not all of the changes that Ive made have been easy and Ive had to surrender some mental and emotional comforts, but what I had to give up has been well worth what I feel Ive gained.

by Anonymousreply 3112/14/2011

Good find, R31. Sounds like a good book.

by Anonymousreply 3212/14/2011

Ray Carney is a great film scholar. I love reading his books on Mike Leigh and John Cassavetes.

by Anonymousreply 3512/14/2011

Thanks for the recommendation, R34. Would you also suggest that I read Ray Carney's other work?

by Anonymousreply 3612/14/2011

I was surprised to learn it was based on a Stephen King story.

by Anonymousreply 3712/14/2011

What is Carney's beef? All the films he likes I have never heard of.

by Anonymousreply 3812/14/2011

wow, the quote r31 posted is ridiculous, "Thank you oh fabulous film critic, for letitng me know how I must think and what movies you dislike so I can dislike them too".

Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 3912/14/2011

The quote at R31 just sounds completely loopy and obsessive.

by Anonymousreply 4012/14/2011

Love this movie. Does that mean I'm straight?

by Anonymousreply 4112/14/2011

How the fuck did the poster manage to affix itself back on the damn wall after he went through the hole?

by Anonymousreply 4212/14/2011

R25 I have six words for you:

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO CRASH!

by Anonymousreply 4312/14/2011

[quote]The prison guard leader was HOT.

Clancy Brown is his name and I find him sexy as shit but he's not really good-looking. He was the baddie in Highlander.

by Anonymousreply 4412/14/2011

Ginger bull was played by Mark Rolston , a fine actor who sadly is relegated to bit parts in film and TV.

by Anonymousreply 4512/14/2011

Mark Rolston also played the demon Alastair on Supernatural. All these years later, and he still makes for a sexy bad guy.

by Anonymousreply 4612/15/2011

I cry at the end EVERY time.

The music, Morgan Freeman's voice, it's magic.

by Anonymousreply 4712/20/2011

I love this movie.

it's depressing, yet uplifting all at the same time.

get busy living or get busy dying....

by Anonymousreply 4807/24/2013

The score is haunting. I love those scenes where Red is in Buxton by the giant oak tree as he reads Andy's note.

Yes, that ending is one of the best ever. Gets me every time.

by Anonymousreply 4907/24/2013

Mark Rolston also played Drake in Aliens...

Very under-rated actor...

by Anonymousreply 5007/24/2013

R20, movies aren't real.

by Anonymousreply 5107/24/2013

I meed to see this ginger bull queer

by Anonymousreply 5207/24/2013

[quote]I know it's a straight guy flick but whatever.

Watch it again, it's a (gay) love story.

Also Morgan Freeman said so, and you can take that to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 5307/24/2013

A list of things Mark Rolston's been in. Recognised him from a CSI episode one time. He's a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 5407/24/2013

[quote]hate it when the young fella gets shot

That was Tommy. I remember crying like a Mary when they shot him, I was so upset.

by Anonymousreply 5507/24/2013

[quote]Ginger bull was played by Mark Rolston , a fine actor who sadly is relegated to bit parts in film and TV.

I like when he tells Andy, "oh hush, honey" ...before forcing him to give him head. The actor was great in Aliens.

by Anonymousreply 5607/24/2013

It is a love story between Andy and Red. So obvious. Of course, if you tried to tell that to one of the millions of straight male fans of the movie they'd look at you like you were crazy.

by Anonymousreply 5707/24/2013

[quote]Also Morgan Freeman said so, and you can take that to the bank.

To clarify, the 'gay' part is mine because of the symbolic way Andy left the tin for Red to find in that 'special' place, almost like a new beginning. Morgan Freeman was asked on film if he thought it was a 'love story' and he confirmed it.

So where's the love story? Andy and his dead wife? The Warden and Andy? Or the two main male leads?

Both leads appear very straight. It's not a tale of lust, the undertones are subtle, but love (which you can argue for a romantic attachment at some stage) between two men is there without overt sexual implications.

by Anonymousreply 5807/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.