Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I Cannot Get Through a Day without Xanax

Between my partner and and my boss, I feel like I've got an alligator on each end of me, ripping me apart from both sides.

If I wasn't on Xanax, at least one of the three of us would be dead.

by Anonymousreply 7310/19/2014

Hugs, OP.

by Anonymousreply 112/10/2011

Any old excuse to hit the pills, Neely.

by Anonymousreply 212/10/2011

Glad it's helping, OP. Nothing wrong with using meds appropriately to help with these types of issues.

by Anonymousreply 312/10/2011

A partner should be providing joy in your life not anxiety.

What does he or she do that requires medication? Maybe you should rethink the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 512/10/2011

Maybe R5 and I are hopeless romantics, but, yeah, OP, your partner should be a positive influence in your life, not a negative one.

by Anonymousreply 612/10/2011

Can't you find anything stronger?

by Anonymousreply 712/10/2011

Can't you get rid of one of them?

by Anonymousreply 812/10/2011

That was my favorite Karen Carpenter song.

by Anonymousreply 912/10/2011

I had a family member who took them for anxiety.

Then she started taking them when she had a hangnail, broke a dish, and whatnot.

She almost died trying to kick them.

by Anonymousreply 1012/10/2011

Sparkle, Neely, sparkle!

by Anonymousreply 1112/10/2011

Of course you take dolls.

by Anonymousreply 1312/10/2011

r10 I know 2 people who got seriously addicted to xanax. One almost forged a prescription.

A doctor friend has seen so many addicts he's convinced the pharma company tweaked the formula to maximize addictive potential. It seems to happen quickly with xanax.

by Anonymousreply 1412/10/2011

Why did you capitalize the title of the thread? Is it a book, musical or song?

by Anonymousreply 1512/10/2011

Work of collective fiction, R15.

by Anonymousreply 1612/10/2011

It's capitalized because Emily Dickinson wrote it.

Emily: do you need this partner and job that are making you unhappy? Maybe find a new job... if possible. And maybe you could live alone - perhaps in Amherst, Mass.

by Anonymousreply 1712/10/2011

I know someone who is heaviy addicted to Xanax, OP, and she absolutely denies it. Claims she can quit any time she wants to. She has also had bouts with bipolar, and the xanax really seems to bring it out more for some reason. I'd talk to your doctor about finding something else.

About the personal situation, I was there once. My advice is to get rid of at least one of the things that is troubling you, and make a plan to get rid of them all. All stress all the time is not sustainable, and if you don't reduce some of it, you'll start having health problems. The xanax isn't going to stop that.

The other thing I learned is that if you are stressed out by work and home, there are people at work and home that aren't enjoying you either, so if you don't make plans to get out yourself, they will dump your ass right when it's least convenient for you. Make your getaway plans now and follow through. Listen to an old broad, I got dumped high and dry by both work and partner on the same day, with no money in the bank. Xanax won't save you from that.

by Anonymousreply 1812/10/2011

Another job in this economy? Right. The partner drives me crazy, but I can't afford to live by myself on my salary alone. I'd have to work full time and I cannot mentally stand doing that for very long.

Why deal with some awful job full-time when I don't have to? Life is too short for that aggravation. I need to capture as much pleasure I can before I get cancer and die. Xanax helps me.

by Anonymousreply 1912/10/2011

Xanax doesn't help you. It makes you feel calm and fluffy when there are things in your life you want to change.

Benzos don't solve anything, they just mask feelings.

They're fine short term, but if you cannot get through a day without one, it sounds like dependence. And in a few months you'll say you can't get through a day without two.

by Anonymousreply 2012/10/2011

I can't change anything. Why is everyone so delusional? You think you're in control of your lives, but you aren't. I cannot deal with people. They are obstacles to happiness - I don't have to deal with many of them the way things are now. I've had to put up with too much BS in my life. I can't put up with anymore. I can't.

by Anonymousreply 2112/10/2011

I don't think you should use Xanax daily, OP. It's a use as needed type of medication and is addictive.

If you need something daily you should look into other anxiety medication. There are better option then Benzos. It's a really rough withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 2212/10/2011

OP, benzos are just not the way. Seriously. They're such bad news--better to keep them for the occasional fun night than to use them every day. Get a real job (you can't work full-time? MARY!!!!!!!!) and a new boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 2312/10/2011

If you are this defensive about your xanax habit, I'd say it's time to cut down.

It's a lie that you can't change anything. You just need to focus on what you *can* change. Even if all you that can change is *how* you react to things. That is a huge power that we all have. Don't further your misery by convincing yourself you are powerless.

by Anonymousreply 2412/10/2011

OP, you are with a partner that drives you crazy because you can't afford to live alone. Do you have any friends that could help you out or look for a roommate to share an apartment with.

Do stay in a drug haze to block out your problems, pick up yourself and make some changes in your life. I understand the job issue nowadays but don't make the economy an excuse to stay in a bad relationship.

You get off the drugs you can move into a sober living that is affordable. Am somewhat serious about that.

by Anonymousreply 2512/10/2011

I just hate people and want them all to leave me alone. My partner keeps asking me if all I want to do with my life is sit on the couch watching old movies and eating. Truthfully, the answer is an unequivocal "Yes." If I could just do that every day and never have to look at another person again, it would be wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 2612/10/2011

Okay, OP is a troll. Thanks r26.

by Anonymousreply 2712/10/2011

I take two xanax most days. I would rather have a good job but that's not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 2812/10/2011

OP, I've walked a mile in your shoes. I was having terrible stress-related health problems, and didn't feel well enough to change jobs or leave my partner. The point I was trying to make was, neither my job or partner gave a shit how I felt and they left me. You have to prepare yourself, OP.

Taking Xanax and closing your eyes to the reality that your life isn't working is not going to help. Start looking for a roommate, or for a way to make more money, even a temporary second job so you can save some money would help. If things go wrong, you need to be able to land on your feet.

by Anonymousreply 2912/11/2011

Benzo addiction is a nightmare that can take years to end.

by Anonymousreply 3012/11/2011

try Lexapro

by Anonymousreply 3112/11/2011

I cannot get through a day without sodomizing a goldfish, OP, so count yourself lucky.

by Anonymousreply 3212/11/2011

Why would you want to?

by Anonymousreply 3312/11/2011

Yup, OP. Xanax addiction is something you really, really want to avoid. You need to read up on it. Doctors don't warn patients enough about the addictive quality of the drug or how horrible it is to kick the addiction.

Educate yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3412/11/2011

so you're dancing as fast as you can?

by Anonymousreply 3512/11/2011

My brother takes Xanax every day and drinks a bucket load of Jim Beam along with it every day.

I worry about him, but he seems to handle it somehow.

by Anonymousreply 3612/11/2011

Those pills are so bad for you op. If you stop taking them taper off slowly. I have clients that take mind altering pills like that and it makes them even crazier when they stop taking them. I'm so serious.

by Anonymousreply 3712/11/2011

OP, are you still with us?

by Anonymousreply 3812/19/2011

OP, are you out there?

by Anonymousreply 3912/27/2011

I want to hear more about your brother, r36.

by Anonymousreply 4012/27/2011

R20 nailed it about benzos.

They are good if you have anxiety or panic attacks that you can't talk yourself down from, or even bipolar disorder but in general if you're taking benzos daily it's way too easy to get addicted to them.

I've never taken benzos recreationally or had them prescribed but I have friends who were addicted to them.

by Anonymousreply 4112/27/2011

This sounds like a Liza song

by Anonymousreply 4212/27/2011

Bump for Xanax daily. ;-)

by Anonymousreply 4305/04/2013

Yikes. BE CAREFUL. I became heavily addicted when I was caring for my mom who was dying of cancer. I started taking them "as needed" like when I would have a panic attack related to my mom which happened often. Then when my mom was in hospice, I raided my mom's ativan and a good friend of mine brought me a bottle of valium. So I was taking 3 different types of benzos during that time but xanax was definitely king. I went to Europe shortly after my mom died and my aunt in Belgium gave me boxes of it (not sure where she got it) and I managed to get a few prescriptions filled along the way.

Two years later, I had moved, gotten a job and started to deal with the grief of losing my mom but I had not even come close to kicking the habit. I was up to at least 7 a day along with a few glasses of wine but I'd still wake up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding and with music (usually a loud song) in my head until I popped another to quiet my heart and mind. I would have continued popping xanax but the clinic in the new town I moved to had refused to continue to prescribe it for me without psychiatric treatment and I had run out of my stash.

Coming off it was hell. I switched to valium (shorter half life) that I got from a friend because no doctor would help me and then weened off that over the course of a couple of months.

Of all the benzos, Xanax is the hardest to kick.

by Anonymousreply 4405/04/2013

I love Xanax but I'm completely out of it. Wonder when I'll get sick?

by Anonymousreply 4510/17/2014

If you are in love with Xanax you are already sick.

by Anonymousreply 4610/17/2014

Do not withdraw cold turkey. See a doctor first if you want to stop taking it.

by Anonymousreply 4710/17/2014

OP, ignore the naysayers. I've been on 3 Xanax/day since the 80's. I was told by the original prescribing DR. that I would probably be on Xanax for life. way too much has happened to me on a negative emotional level, and Xanax does help me deal. all this talk about withdrawl is moot, if you are fortunate enough to have a DR. who carefully monitors the Xanax, (like I do), you will be fine. As a side note anxiexty is genecic in my family. It's one of those things that unless they have walked a mile in your and my shoes,people don't understand. AGAIN-JUST IGNORE THE A-HOLES WHO HAVE NO IDEA HOW CRIPPLING ANXIETY AFFECTS SOME PEOPLE.

by Anonymousreply 4810/17/2014

[There is nothing more tedious than a race baiting troll. Except the people that talk to it.]

by Anonymousreply 4910/17/2014

Xanax makes me overeat, can't take it.

by Anonymousreply 5010/17/2014

I've suffered from severe social anxiety eve since I was a teen. It is well known that people who suffer from anxiety are prone to alcoholism or addiction to benzodiazepines.

I only took Xanax for a week and all it did was make me feel drowsy and I've never liked alcohol (or any other mood-altering drugs). The only way to deal with something like anxiety is to live through it and develop a really thick skin - you have to make yourself immune to the opinions of others. You have to realize that the people who antagonize you are really nothing special, even if they have plush jobs or are good-looking.

Next time somebody yells at you or tries to provoke a negative reaction, just calmly try to ignore them, look right through them, as though they don't exist. In this age of narcissism there's nothing that serves as a bigger eye-opener to self-important bullies than that.

by Anonymousreply 5110/17/2014

Jerking off does the same thing xanax does for me.

Try it. Often.

by Anonymousreply 5210/17/2014

It's hard to find a doctor who will give it to you. They have you by the short hairs and they can manipulate you.

I believe R48 is correct but it's hard to find a doctor who will agree with that point of view.

by Anonymousreply 5310/17/2014

Xanax is no worse than marijuana or a drink.

by Anonymousreply 5410/18/2014

Except it's been 48 hours since I had a Xanax and I'm feeling fluish. How long will it last?

by Anonymousreply 5510/18/2014

Thank you, R51. I have problems with anxiety, too, and I've never taken meds. Maybe we're intended to feel whatever we feel, good or bad. I work through it; it sounds like R51 does, too.

But every young person I know is on some kind of anti-anxiety med. Doctors still prescribe this stuff like candy.

by Anonymousreply 5610/18/2014

Get to a meeting OP. You need to do a 90 in 90 and get a sponsor, do service work.

by Anonymousreply 5710/18/2014

This is nonsense. I've been taking Xanax daily for 20 years, and I've never been addicted.

by Anonymousreply 5810/18/2014

If you go off Xanax cold turkey there is a good chance you can have a seizure. It happened to a friend of mine and basically ruined her life. Talk to your doctor about weaning off.

by Anonymousreply 5910/18/2014

I should be going through my days with Xanax.

by Anonymousreply 6010/18/2014

No R59, all he needs is a meeting.

by Anonymousreply 6110/18/2014

Maybe if you are taking three at a time you might need 90 days but most people just do what they are prescribed.

by Anonymousreply 6210/18/2014

I have been seeing a shrink for 20 years. I have depression, OCD and Anxiety. I've been under a tremendous amount of stress.

I've been having severe crying episodes where the police show up to do a welfare check. My shrink initially prescribed Ativan but it knocked me out.

He then switched me to Klonopin. He said the Ativan is quicker acting while the Klonopin was longer acting.

The Klonopin knocked me out too. I even tried halving the pills and they still knocked me out.

He's now changed it to Xanex at a very low dose. 0.25 twice a day

I am worried about addiction. What dose do you guys take ?

by Anonymousreply 6310/18/2014

I Cannot Get Through a Day without Xylophones!

by Anonymousreply 6410/18/2014

Ladies, Hit IT!

by Anonymousreply 6510/18/2014

Xanax gives me a headache, but gawd, I need to find something. My mother was just diagnosed with dementia, and I'm so sad and angry all the time. Three brothers, no help, so I live here and care for her.Two live five minutes from here. They say they're thankful I'm here to do this, but all I'm hearing is "Better you than me". After she's gone, I don't feel as if I want any contact with them again.We used to be incredibly close. I never thought my family would disintegrate the way it did when my dad died.Some days I can't even speak for being so stressed. This is what happens when you're gay and single. Your family thinks living your life isn't as important.

by Anonymousreply 6610/18/2014

I think I've read you before R66.

I really think you should have it out with your brothers but try not to get your mother involved. Spend her money so she won't leave anything to your brothers.

by Anonymousreply 6710/18/2014

Why would you want to op?

by Anonymousreply 6810/18/2014

I don't think it's a gay thing. I have seen the same done to any kid that isn't married. The married with kids siblings think nothing of dumping everything on the single sibling.

by Anonymousreply 6910/19/2014

How sad OP. Change your life instead of ruining it by hiding behind pills.

by Anonymousreply 7010/19/2014

I've had to bury a friend who died of Parkinsons. When I went to clean out his apartment, I found a ton of drugs and I know they are the good stuff because I've heard their names used on TV and in film.

But I need an education about drugs. If I list what I have, you tell me which is the best the following situations 1) Sex 2)Sleep 3)Partying and make me dance better 4) Make me more popular at the bar.

About 2,000 tabs 1.0mg Clonazepam About 1,000 tabs 4.0mg Tizanidine (?what is this?) 500 tabs 75mg Lyrica 200 tabs 1mg Lorazepam 50 Ambien (I know what this is, I love it already)

Is this a good stash and what is it good for?

by Anonymousreply 7110/19/2014

I would take any of them, are they out of date.

Were you going to take them to the party and give them away? That would probably make you popular.

by Anonymousreply 7210/19/2014

R71-Google is your friend

by Anonymousreply 7310/19/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!