Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

White Elephant Gift Exchange Ideas

Help....the office is having a White Elephant gift exchange. I normally don't participate in these things, but I actually like and anjoy the people I work with. I don't really have a clue what to bring, only I know I want it to be really tacky, and no, I'm not a frau.

Any suggestions dataloungers? I have a $10.00 limit....

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 10112/19/2012

We did this at my old office and somebody brought pink fur lined cuffs. Every woman in that office was wanting them. No lie. It was very weird.

Although, I live in LA and it was an architecture firm, so...... maybe they were just more out there.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 112/10/2011

Go to a thrift shop, find some horrible black velvet painting or children-with-huge-eyes "artwork".

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 212/10/2011

You can find some really ugly shit at the dollar store.

Ridiculous books are good. Something by the Kardashians or Justin Bieber's autobiography would be good choices. Tyra Banks is pushing some "Harry Potter" meets modeling book right now.

If you still have a music store around you look for Christmas CDs by really ridiculous artists. Billy Idol had one out a few years ago I gave out as a joke. And I just saw one by Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford at Amoeba the other night.

Go to Walgreens - they have the "As Seen On TV" section where you can find all kinds of tacky stuff like Pajama Jeans and Snuggies. Sadly, most of that crap is over $10 so you might be out of luck.

I'd stay away from anything sexual at an office party.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 312/10/2011

My work place is having this kind of party so, I went to the thrift store and found two off the wall things.

First, I found an egg cuber, which cuts hard boiled eggs into a perfect cube. Not really practical but the pictures on the box were pretty funny.

Second, I bought a "chicken roaster wand" which really looks like some sort of sex toy but is a legitimate cooking tool.

Both items cost six dollars and should make people or at least myself.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 412/10/2011

A tube of Zim's Crack Repair Cream.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 512/10/2011

Lottery tickets.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 612/10/2011

Lube and a dildo.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 712/10/2011

Cock ring

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 812/10/2011

Lottery tickets are a great idea.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 912/10/2011

OP, I think you should buy something useful, rather than a piece of useless junk as a joke.

No one wants something is just a piece of junk and something with which you trying to be funny or weird.

Buy something useful. $10.00 is a lot of money for some people.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 1012/10/2011

R10, a white elephant gift is meant to be funny, unusual or frivolous. That's the point, it's a joke.

I'm unemployed and pretty poor but $10 is NOT a lot of money to someone who works in an office. Most office workers spend that on lunch each day.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 1212/10/2011

So is this why stores are packed to the rafters with garbage? Why The Kardashian books sell? You stupid cubeites and your lame white elephant parties?

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 1312/10/2011

[quote]put it in a dollar store bag, viola.

Viola?

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 1512/10/2011

1. Snooky's autobiography

2. Any of the Real Housewives CDs (didn't they all make CDs?)

3. Anything to hang on the car;s rear view mirror, but my vote goes to big plush pink dice.

4. toilet aper that either has a design on it like dollar bills or other nonsense.

5. Road Kill Cookbook

6. Any of these big slippers that look like dumb animals, I know they have bunnies, but I think they have rain deer as well.

7. Snuggies for pets.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 1612/10/2011

Lottery tickets are usually a hit at our office gift exchanges.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 1812/10/2011

I always get something fun and unusual but useful. Like a coffee mug from the local potter. I like being one the gifts people fight for.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 1912/10/2011

a piece of fiber optic decor from an asian goods store.

a knitted cosy for toilet paper

Foam beer can insulators w/redneck-ish sayings

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 2012/10/2011

You may have some co-workers that make you think of ME while at the office. CVS has a 3-pack of Summer's Eve samplers for $9.99.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 2112/10/2011

Whatever tacky gift you get, OP, may I suggest you wrap it beautifully and put it in a shopping bag from an upscale store.

Friends and I do this type of thing every year and there's always a proliferation of bags from Tiffany, Cartier, Bergdorf's, etc. It really adds a funny dimension to your gift.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 2212/10/2011

Go to the dollar store and buy a case of Fabuloso, it will last someone all year.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 2312/10/2011

Go to the dollar store and look in the toy or christmas music sections. At a recent such event, I gave two Christmas CDs (Charo and Slim Whitman).

The real hit was the lifesize Barbie head that you could prctice hairstyles and makeup. It was damned creepy.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 2412/10/2011

I think most find some bizarre attaction to the lifesize Barbie head regardless of one's gender or sexual orientation. It's truly the gift for everyone.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 2512/10/2011

R25 wins

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 2612/10/2011

OP, the last time I attended one of those parties at my job, I made homemade gingerbread cookies and used my dog-bone cookie-cutter, and everyone had a laugh about it.

Even if you don't want to make cookies, you could buy a box of real dog biscuits and wrap them up in cellophane and ribbons like cookies.

Either way they'd probably be used, and you would avoid buying some tacky Chinese knickknack that would just go in a landfill.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 2712/10/2011

R24, just curious. Did the recipient "get" your cds?

Both must be hilarious.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 2812/10/2011

I personally would love to find a "ugly" black velvet painting, or one of those kitschy big eyed child prints from the '60s..but arent those quite sought after now?

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 2912/10/2011

OP, $10.00 is good money. Why would you want to waste $10.00 on a piece of useless junk.

It doesn't right with so many people struggling economically in the world today that you would just throw $10.00 away.

Buy something that is useable or useful or give the $10.00 in a co-worker's name to Unicef.

Or something that would delight the receiver.

I do not get at all the idea of buying a piece of junk that is supposed to be somehow 'funny' when it is not 'funny' in the least and is just stupid.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 3012/10/2011

R22, oh yes, that is so funny. No. Not at all.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 3112/10/2011

OP, I have to pick on you for your typo, because it made me smile.

I think you created new word when you said that you "anjoy" your co-workers.

"anjoy" = enjoy + annoy = to enjoy the company of other people who find you annoying

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 3212/10/2011

Spending $10.00 at a thrift store helps create jobs !

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 3312/10/2011

Our department had a $10 "chinese gift exchange" every year. That is what they called bringing a wrapped gift and placing it under the tree and then picking numbers from a hat for first choice at picking a gift. You could "steal" a gift from someone before you or pick a gift from under the tree. Tension ensues. Not recommended.

Fortunately I no longer work there. I'd usually get the $10 general-use items that Target puts out at this time of year, or a bottle of wine, or a single cup coffee press, or a DVD that has general appeal. I have no idea what I picked out from under the tree in all those years, but for one exception. This one was placed under the tree by our solitary frau, who shrieked at everyone every year that, "It HAS to be ten dollars!" This one turned out to be two thin, sandpapery cheap-ass potholders obviously purchased at a dollar store. Ten dollars, my eye, you stingy bitch. She had absolutely no shame in either grubbing for good stuff ahead of time or putting shit in gift wrap when it was her turn.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 3412/10/2011

R28. The recipient did not know who Slim Whitman was. I also had to explain who Charo was (I settled on being a frequent 'Love Boat' guest).

Not all straight women are campy fans of pop culture.

Tant pis.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 3512/10/2011

ANYTHING from The Christmas Tree Shoppe. I think pretty much everything in there is within your price range. *grabbing my car keys and coat as I type*

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 3612/10/2011

The corporate culture at companies is so sick and revolting forcing employees into these types of activities.

And acting like $10.00 is not significant money is absurd.

No one should waste $10 on garbage.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 3712/10/2011

R34 here. The Christmas Party was actually held at some unlucky employee's house. Paid for by the employees. On the employees' personal time. During the holidays, when you're trying to get shit done on your personal time for family and REAL friends, whose parties you actually WANT to attend. Of course, if you don't participate in this mass delusion ("It's really no different from our parents' office parties, which were paid for by the company, on company time, with alcohol!"), you're a pariah.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 3812/10/2011

r34 - those pretty much ARE the rules for a White Elephant Party. By the way...did your company HAVE an H.R. department?!?! "Chinese Gift Exchange"?? Really?!?

The only other rule is that a gift can only be "stolen" twice (or maybe 3 times?)

Another traditional rule,I believe the real idea of a White Elephant Party is NOT to buy a gift but to find something that you already have in your house...something you don't want, never use, but there it sits like the elephant in your room. That often makes price ranges unimportant. But if the office makes the rules, then I guess you just go with it.

Our W.E.Party last year had some fun stuff. Someone had a snuggy with Elmo on it. Someone gave a popcorn maker they'd never opened. Someone gave a bizarre bottle of liquer that no one had ever heard of or tasted. But that one got traded several times! I actually took and got rid of this HUGE "digital radio" that had been a free parting gift at some event I attended and had sat around in it's box in my apt for 3 years! That thing was the size of a 1970's "boom box". Truly a white elephant. Always in my way, never used. There was a remote control toy car. A book on puppies (which I won, cuz I love em).

I like the idea of taking a really stupid tacky gift... something you already have like above that would be free...but then attaching $10 worth of lotto tickets. So if they want the tix, they also have to take that weird moth eaten blanket it comes with. With the provision that the tix can't be scratched off until the trade wars end! In fact... I may steal that idea this year.

I really like this thread. Giving me ideas. By the way...this kind of party is a really fun idea for friends and people who are newer to your circle. After a cocktail or two...you really get an idea of people's sense of humor!

Happy Holiday and good luck with "killin it" with your idea.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 3912/10/2011

Order a Demeter perfume like Dust or Dirt.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 4012/10/2011

R39, you are weird and a corporate no-mind.

These ridiculous Christmas rituals at work (or held away from the office) are sickening.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 4112/10/2011

Oh...and to the people freaking out and getting judgey about the $10 on junk...it's a lot of money...etc, etc... Give it a freakin break! It's the holidays!

We work hard, and we're allowed to have silly fun sometimes! And you have NO idea if maybe this same office doing an inexpensive (YES) stupid gift exchange might also have organized a food drive, or coats for the needy drive, etc, etc. Or maybe the individual employee has made his own donations somewhere. So SHUT IT Scrooge.

The real fun of the gift exchange is that one man's trash is another man's treasure. The success of this kind of thing is being creative and finding the weird thing that someone else may have a use for.

So you're not just spending money on junk...someone else may actually have a collection of plastic circus animals or whatever.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 4212/10/2011

r41 - If you don't like the idea then don't go to parties and don't come in here and piss all over everyone else.

Mine wasn't a Corporate party you ass wipe. I don't work for an office of any kind anyway!

Mine was between friends. So I'll thank you to fling your feces elsewhere. And take your prozac.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 4312/10/2011

R42, it just isn't all that much fun.

Christ, you must be desperate for diversion if you think these ridiculous, mandatory Christmas rituals forced upon people by the office are 'fun'.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 4412/10/2011

R42, R43, wow, you really sound like a person everyone would love to know.

And your 'Christmas spirit' is so sincere.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 4512/10/2011

OP...You like and enjoy the people you work with. So any kind of party will be fun. And any gift will work just fine.

Happy Holidays.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 4612/10/2011

Cheryl, Summer's Eve is so déclassé.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 4712/10/2011

OP here...thanks everyone, but I really need some suggestions....not lectures about $10.00 limits, spending money on "junk" blah...blah...blah

Kisses !

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 4812/10/2011

All of you losers whining about how $10 is a lot of money should really go get a fucking job.

You are TIRESOME.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 4912/10/2011

OP, the suggestion is to buy something useful usable, or desired - instead of buying a piece of junk trying to be 'funny'.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 5012/10/2011

It is so arrogant of offices and companies to think employees want to throw away $10.00 of their very hard earned money on this type of garbage event.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 5112/10/2011

R49 = Newt Gingrich

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 5212/10/2011

I think if you give a coworker lottery tickets, you should write your name and address on them first--just in case one is a big winner. Otherwise, go with a bottle of Patron if they drink, Godiva chocolate gift basket if they are teetotalers.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 5312/10/2011

A pretty Christmas ornament. You can get a pretty nice one for $10.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 5412/10/2011

A gift that would suit anyone is a $10 gift certificate to Walgreen's or whatever store is nearby your office, where all the employees go.

If there isn't one, a grocery store gift certificate will suit anybody and might come in handy for people who are short on cash during the holidays.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 5512/10/2011

How about a needle and thread so they can darn their socks?

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 5712/10/2011

A Magic 8 Ball

Velvet Santa Hat

Bubble Bath

Kooky Refrigerator magnets

Huge bag of Kettlecorn

Breath Mints - ten dollars worth

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 5812/10/2011

Fuzzy Dice to hang from their car's rear view mirror.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 5912/10/2011

The ultimate WE gift

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 6012/10/2011

[quote]It doesn't right with so many people struggling economically in the world today that you would just throw $10.00 away.

Bitch, please. What is with you sanctimonious assholes?

You may be broke, but please don't lecture the rest of us. Also, someone is to blame because you are broke, but it certainly isn't the OP.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 6112/10/2011

A $10 limit? WTF? At my office it's a $50 limit. What the hell could you get for $10 except junk???

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 6212/10/2011

[quote]Our department had a $10 "chinese gift exchange" every year. That is what they called bringing a wrapped gift and placing it under the tree and then picking numbers from a hat for first choice at picking a gift.

That's because your company is racist. Let me guess, midwest? No way that would fly on the coasts.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 6312/10/2011

WHITE elephant?? Talk about racist. The Elephant is from Africa, bitches!!

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 6412/10/2011

Go find the biggest pair of granny panties you can find. Box'em up and throw it on the pile of gifts. Seriously this is the funniest damn joke you can do at a white elephant.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 6512/10/2011

"Chinese gift exchange"????

Wow, don't be an Indian giver. You might end up in the paddy wagon.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 6612/10/2011

My friends are doing this...I bought a singing Justin Bieber toothbrush...let the chaos begin !

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 6712/10/2011

OP, I suggest your local Dollar Store -- so much awful junk there. Or go to a thrift store in a really bad part of town. The so-bad-it's-good junk will jump in your lap.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 6912/11/2011

I'll give $10 to the joyless freak complaining about wasting money on useless gifts to just go away and stop posting.

It's a white elephant: the point is to give a joke gift that will provide entertainment at the party. It is not supposed to be a straight forward gift exchange like a secret Santa. R34 actually explains the rules for this type of party, although he doesn't seem to realize what it is. And I can't believe a company would hold one of these and call it a "Chinese gift exchange". Isn't that clearly racist?

Anyway, these parties are a lot of fun if you've ever been to one. Some joke gifts can be surprising popular, with people stealing them back and forth. Lots of laughs and fun.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 7012/11/2011

[quote]I'll give $10 to the joyless freak complaining about wasting money on useless gifts to just go away and stop posting.

He's a truly miserable old cunt. Try TrollDar on him and then read the Chipotle thread.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 7112/11/2011

BTW, what you guys are calling a Chinese Gift Exchange, I know as a Yankee Swap. I don't know if that's more PC, especially if you are a northerner in the south...

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 7212/11/2011

wow, R70, you are very easily entertained with schlock

I suppose your ability to be easily entertained with schlock is a gift in itself!

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 7312/11/2011

It's called having a sense of humor, r73, and enjoying fun, lighthearted times with friends.

Two things you clearly know nothing about.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 7412/11/2011

When it comes to finding the prank gift exchange gift of huge grandma under panties and a Justin Bieber toothbrush, perhaps I and many other people have higher standards of what we find amusing and worthwhile in terms of spending life's moments.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 7512/11/2011

Home made jam

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 7612/11/2011

This thread was mainly about office gift exchanges, not gift exchanges with friends in your personal life.

Office gift exchanges are much different that gift exchanges with personal friends.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 7712/11/2011

Chinese gift exchange? At my company we call it the Black gift exchange or informally as the Ghetto gift exchange party. The idea is that we have to give the most ghetto gift we could find. Lots of laughs.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 7812/11/2011

Geez..smell R75

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 7912/11/2011

Your company is ripe for a lawsuit, R78, should any employee choose to file one. Who are the dunderheads who run your company?

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 8012/11/2011

[quote]This thread was mainly about office gift exchanges, not gift exchanges with friends in your personal life.

No, this thread is about White Elephant gift exchanges (it's right there in the title) a specific type of gift exchange, the concept of which has been explained multiple times throughout the thread. The point is not to bring a practical, useful or valuable gift, but rather to bring a gift that will provide laughs and entertainment.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 8112/11/2011

The OP specifically states in his thread topic original post:

Help....the office is having a White Elephant gift exchange. I normally don't participate in these things, but I actually like and anjoy the people I work with. I don't really have a clue what to bring, only I know I want it to be really tacky, and no, I'm not a frau

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 8212/11/2011

One year I got a ramen noodle cookbook. It had desserts even. What a hoot and everyone loved it.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 8312/12/2011

R82, don't try to be using obvious facts with this crowd.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 8412/12/2011

Some people here have obviously never worked in an office.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 8512/12/2011

Eh, I actually like most of the people I work with, so, I enjoy our holiday party, WE and all. (and ours is usually held at the director's house, with liquor, beer and wine and entrees provided by the company, everyone else brings a small dish to share if they want to.) This year I am bringing a set of three DC shaped cookie cutters (the district shape, the Capitol and the Washington monument) and a box of cookie mix. I like giving something fun but practical too.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 8612/12/2011

The last time I participated in something like this was several years ago, and at the eleventh hour, I just went to Big Lots and bought a $10.00 iron! A new, usable iron. It was the last gift to be opened and the entire office ROARED. It was like the stupidest gift there.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 8712/14/2011

A Three Gift Combo: - A can of beans - GasX - Air Freshener

OR

Food in a Box and a Justin Beber singing toothbrush

OR

A Shakeweight

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 8812/12/2012

iTunes gift card.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 8912/12/2012

Lee's discount liquor has a fire extinguisher filled with vodka. It was the most popular gift at the last white elephant party I was at.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 9012/12/2012

A nice one is a mini bottle of whiskey - always a winner for me.

Tacky/funny? butt wipes People laugh but they don't end up unused.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 9112/12/2012

Get some Romney campaign merchandise. That should be pretty cheap, you should be able to get a lot for $10.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 9212/12/2012

r87 I don't know anyone who irons any more.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 9312/12/2012

Used condoms. I used to get $6.75 for mine, but for some reason the market collapsed for me lately.

More of an amber elephant gift.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 9412/12/2012

What's the latest on horrible office Christmas parties?

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 9512/19/2012

Spend $10 on a nice box and gorgeous wrapping. Then take a dump in the box. The perfect "fuck you" to whoever organizes these disasters.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 9612/19/2012

Lady Gaga toothbrush. Way better than Justin Beiber.

I once brought a plastic clock shaped like a cowboy boot (Big Lots, I think). People were fighting tooth and nail over that stupid thing. I wound up with a rubber chicken, which I now dress up for holidays and hang in my cubicle.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 9712/19/2012

One year, we had a white elephant faculty party. One of the professors gave yarn, knitting needles and knitting instructions printed off a website. I got this gift. It turned out to be great, relaxing and productive.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 9812/19/2012

a "that was easy" button

edible undies

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 9912/19/2012

A six-pack & a porn magazine.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 10012/19/2012

Tell them you made a charitable donation in their name. You can't get much for ten bucks anyway and charities need every little bit.

by Again, not the Xmas sweater wearing office Fraureply 10112/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.