Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Question about handbags. Prada, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Hermes, etc.

Do women who carry these bags do so to feel special? To seem superior? To show off? To tell the world they are wealthy or to at least appear to have money? For attention? Or do they really think of these bags as some kind of investment?

I knew a girl in college who could barely afford to eat, but she saved and saved to get an ugly brown Louis Vuitton bag. Are a lot of people really that starved for attention? Especially when they don't actually have a lot of disposable cash to be splashing out on a bag that costs over 1k.

by Anonymousreply 16305/04/2013

Are you that stupid, OP?

It's a status symbol that you carry with you all the time, and it's one that will fit ANY body type.

It's like asking why certain people buy ridiculously expensive cars.

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2011

You can never have too many gloves, scarves, or hats.

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2011

R1, I guess I *am* that stupid, but thanks for asking for clarification.

by Anonymousreply 312/07/2011

My favorite is the girl or woman in ratty velour sweats, flipflops, baseball cap and the Coach purse with the obvious logo print.

It's as if the status symbol has been entirely separated from the lifestyle. And they're ok with that. No attempt at polishing her appearance.

by Anonymousreply 412/07/2011

Victoria Beckham was just spotted with a $29,000 bag. Yes. Twenty nine thousand dollars. For a fucking purse.

by Anonymousreply 512/07/2011

R4, I'm sure those are knockoffs.

by Anonymousreply 612/07/2011

Buy me!

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2011

OP, very very few women buy or wear this shit.

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2011

r8 that is dog ugly

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2011

Coach, Rocha, Kimora Lee Simmons, Vuitton, Gucci. I see all these brand names on the purses carried by the women who ride the bus with me. I'm sure they regard them as status symbols, and they're proud to have them.

For my part? I'm sick to death of clothing and accessories that display a designer's name.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2011

But it's only $5,450.00, r10.

by Anonymousreply 1312/07/2011

People who obsess on status items are either trashy pieces of shit or so boring they think that a car will buy them some personality.

by Anonymousreply 1412/07/2011

r14 has the right of it.

The market is flooded with knockoff garbage anyway. Only the most discerning eye can tell some of these fake bags from the real ones.

by Anonymousreply 1512/07/2011

"It's a status symbol "

To whom? Is the cream of society going to be impressed that you bought an expensive but ugly bag? I think not!

I think of the label mania as a lower-class thing. Like it's done by people who want to look like they have a middle-class or upper middle class income. Think of that, when you think designer brands make you look "classy"!

by Anonymousreply 1612/07/2011

It's all about human insecurity.

by Anonymousreply 1712/07/2011

I don't know anyone who does. I love Flyoverville.

by Anonymousreply 1812/07/2011

I'd rather see the knock-off bags than the outrageously tacky "designer"-label t-shirts and sweatshirts that some people cream over at every suburban mall.

Clothing items-as-labels are the ultimate in "I-have-no-taste" statements.

Don't get me started on the over-sized "designer" sunglasses with frames that serve only to be literally an in-your-face label.

Designer labels used to stand for sophistication, quality, luxury... now it's all just mass-marketed-at-every-mall-on-Earth crap that screams "I'M TACKY!"

by Anonymousreply 2012/07/2011

Agreed, R20, but I'd have huge doubts about anybody who "creams" over a sweatshirt, no matter who makes it.

by Anonymousreply 2112/07/2011

Whenever I see a Louis Vuitton bag, I assume it's a fake. You know how much that brand has been devalued when there are bag ladies on Toronto streets who are pushing trolleys with all their earthly belongings while toting a bag with a LV logo.

by Anonymousreply 2212/07/2011

I'd cream over a sweatshirt with some hot stud in it!

by Anonymousreply 2312/07/2011

why don't you ever see a knock off an Hermes bag?

by Anonymousreply 2412/07/2011

Because Hermes is still made in France in small quantities. Louis Vuitton is probably made in China or some place like that. Hermes is still, more or less, run like a family business.

by Anonymousreply 2512/07/2011

Coach was a middle-class aspirational thing for as long as I can remember. I mean, teachers carried those things, not wealthy housewives or high-powered professionals.

hermes? Now we're talking.

by Anonymousreply 2612/07/2011

I have an Hermes bag and I wear it because a) it's very classic -- it will never go out of style; b) it looks wonderful; c) it holds a LOT of stuff; d) I get a little boost out of carrying it because I saved like crazy for it and earned every penny. I don't care if people know it's real or not); e) I love it.

So I'm a bit of a label whore: sue me!

by Anonymousreply 2712/07/2011

My mother only carried Coach bags for as long as I can remember. She said they were worth the money because they lasted forever.

When they switched to that logo shit, she stopped buying a new bag every year or so. Said they looked like the bastard child of Gucci and Chanel. (Which she admired, but would never have spent the cash for.)

Now she buys vintage leather when she finds it in top condition.

by Anonymousreply 2812/07/2011

There are Hermes knockoffs. Last year I attended one of those "parties" where some thug dressed in a nice suit was selling rip-off Birkin bags. He wouldn't say where they came from or who gets the money. He sold every one.

by Anonymousreply 2912/07/2011

"Coach is out, BTW. Everyone and their mother has one--they're no longer unique."

Apparently you know very little about Coach.

Actually, true fashionistas, women who appreciate timeless fashion items and have a ton of class, the ones who don't need to show off some tacky designer label....track down the hard-to-find original Coach bags designed by the late Bonnie Cashin.

Besides, you don't have to spend a ton of money to show that you have your own sense of fashion and style!

These Cashin designed Coach bags, as well as the bags Cashin designed for Meyers, do amazingly well on eBay. The older Coach styles transcend time and current pop styles.

These well made, usually in a heavier leather, bags, are mostly bought by avid Bonnie Cashin collectors.

Bonnie Cashin also designed clothing for films before going into fashion design and then on to design for Coach in the 1960s through the 1960s. She also designed for Meyers as well as for the leather clothing store, Sills.

Don't make flippant comments without knowing the facts.

"Cashin worked for Coach from 1962 until 1974, and revolutionized their product design. Known as an innovator, she instituted the inclusion of side pockets, coin purses, and brighter colors (as opposed to the usual hues of browns and tans) onto the bags.

Cashin also designed matching shoes, pens, key fobs and eyewear, and added hardware to her clothes and accessories alike, particularly the silver toggle that became the Coach hallmark, declaring that she had been inspired by a memory of quickly fastening the top on her convertible sports car. Due to the success that Cashin brought Coach, they ran their first ad in the New Yorker in 1963."

Lastly, the problem with constantly flashing designer labels, it simply shows how much of a conformist you are! The idea in fashion, especially for women, is to be unique, NOT to follow the herd.

by Anonymousreply 3012/07/2011

Meant to type: "Bonnie Cashin also designed clothing for films before going into LEATHER fashion design ....."

by Anonymousreply 3112/07/2011

Well, Miss Diana Vreeland at R30, nobody's referring to the older Coach bags. We're talking about the ones that have been out for the last few years, the ones made of cloth, the ones with the tacky Coach name and logo plastered all over them.

by Anonymousreply 3212/07/2011

Considering the purses dropping out of mouths around here, I'd say you came to the right place, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3312/08/2011

OP here, and I am not bashing women. I love the women in my family and my female friends. Not all women carry these bags. Sheesh.

R30, that was actually interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3512/08/2011

I carry a designer bad because I like the way it looks. I love the leather appearance and feel of it and the bags are very well made. I live in a backwater where no one knows the difference, so I don't have to talk about it. I do it for myself.

by Anonymousreply 3612/08/2011

R30, I sort of feel the same way about Dooney and Bourke. Back in the 80s, my high school fag hag was sooooo into D&B. They were unique, well made bags with character. Unfortunately they've gone the route of Coach and now they look like every two-a-penny bag on the racks at Macy's.

by Anonymousreply 3712/08/2011

OP, you're the guy I mentioned in this thread, correct?

by Anonymousreply 3812/08/2011

Actually, I take all that back...

Did you bitches see this on the D&B site??!! It's a work of art!

by Anonymousreply 4012/08/2011

Uhhhh, R40, it's really pretty awful.

by Anonymousreply 4112/08/2011

Thanks, webmaster, for restoring this thread. Still not sure why it was taken down.

by Anonymousreply 4212/08/2011

R38, no. What the fuck? Troll dar me if you want to and get off my ass already.

by Anonymousreply 4312/08/2011

I have an LV bag that I got at a thrift store for $5 (and yes, it's real). But I treat it like the $10 ones that I've got, because it's just a purse, not a status symbol.

by Anonymousreply 4412/08/2011

I actually own a Dooney satchel bag purchased about 10 or 15 years ago.

It was about $350 bucks and yes, I still own it, it looks brand new, but only because I never use it. I can hardly stand to drag it everywhere I go, it's so damn heavy!

Don't think they make them that way anymore, either that or they doubled or tripled in price for that heavy, pebbled leather.

I wanted nothing more than to own a LV bag. I actually went so far as to buy one, another 3 or 4 hundred dollars. I returned it though, after a friend of mine actually laughed when I told her how much I had spent for it plus I felt guilty for buying it in the first place.

Was disappointed as well when it turned out NOT to be leather, just canvas! Not paying 4 hundred dollars for a fucking canvas bag.

by Anonymousreply 4512/08/2011

Seriously, R34, give it a fucking rest, you nutjob -- and get some help. The OP is asking about the mentality of carrying expensive purses, the responses are all polite and varied and YOU THE NUTCASE turn it into a woman-bashing thread! (As opposed to a women-who-wear-expensive-purses bashing thread and it's not THAT either).

Goddam, I thought Valerie Solanis was dead. Ban this one, DL, please, please, please.

by Anonymousreply 4612/08/2011

Furthermore, r34, OP's question relates to the acquisition of label-based status symbols, something women AND men buy.

by Anonymousreply 4712/08/2011

Why stop at handbags? Introducing the new Louis Vuitton condom. Tres chic!

by Anonymousreply 4812/08/2011

Beautiful condom, actually. But talk about Planned Obsolesence.

Guess they can be pressed like leaves in a scrapbook after...

by Anonymousreply 4912/08/2011

OP, I have 2 Chanel's, 2 Tod's bags a Gucci and a Burberry bag. All of them were expensive. None of them are the logo bags. In fact, other than the Chanel bag (due to the classic chanel quilted styling) you probably wouldn't be able to tell who the designer was just by looking at them from a distance.

I would never carry one of the canvas logo bags. I've always considered them overpriced, gaudy and ugly. They don't "go" with anything. And R45, That ugly brown LV bag - what outfit does that look good with? Probably not many. It should at least have real suede lining, and unless you purchased a coin purse, the handbags go for more than 3-400 dollars. But they are so ugly who would waste their money unless they wanted it purely for others to know how much they spent on their bag.

I never liked any "logo" type things though. However, I do like quality, and a well made bag - as long as it's mostly logo free. My chanel's do have that gold CC logo at the clasp opening, but that's the extent of the logo on the bag, or I wouldn't have bought it.

by Anonymousreply 5012/08/2011

R45, is this the one you got? It's more like a wrislet I guess. The other LV brown logo handbags, of normal size, are between 1800-3500 dollars

But regardless - this is definitely throwing 330 dollars down the drain.

by Anonymousreply 5112/08/2011

When I bought the LV it was about 10 years ago, R50. Don't think it did have a suede lining, either.

Tod bags are beautiful, no logo in sight either. You either know the bag or you don't.

I grew up in the 80's so, deep, deep down, I still want that fucking bag. Of course, they have different designs now and I maybe would consider buying one. But not the logo, canvas bag.

by Anonymousreply 5212/08/2011

No, R51, it was the actual satchel bag with the two leather handles. The signature bag, from about 10 or 15 years ago.

I want to say I bought it at Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom? In Dallas.

Maybe I'm remembering the price wrong, but it definitely was the satchel bag, it might have been the smaller one, but it came in its protective cotton/felt sleeve. And I never would have spent more than 500 dollars on a purse back then.

by Anonymousreply 5312/08/2011

Yes R52, I think LV's were much less expensive 10 years ago. I grew up in the 80's too. I'll never forget my mom bought me a "british tan" leather Coach bag when I was 11. It was my first "grown up" bag, and back then it was 120 dollars which was a lot for a bag then - it was one of those tiny ones. Coach bags were not "in style" in the trendy way they became, back then, especially for an eleven year old. But I had loved hers, they were not like the ones now - it was this thick well made british tan leather. I think I still even have the bag as it really held up through the years. I got into handbags as a kid watching my mom - she always had quality bags. She ditched buying coach once they got into the logos and dropped their classic leather collection.

Anyway - if you have to have that LV, head down to Chinatown. I'm sure you can get a decent looking knock off for a fraction of the price. I think some of the better made knock offs are even lined in suede. (which is what most of the LV bags have as standard lining)

by Anonymousreply 5412/08/2011

That makes sense R53 - LV prices really have gone up in recent years. 10-15 years ago the satchel was probably running 450-500

by Anonymousreply 5512/08/2011

R28 Tell your Mom she can still buy Coach originals online. They're not sold in stores, but made by Coach in very limited quantities. Same beautiful leather and classic brass locks.

by Anonymousreply 5612/08/2011

What materials other than leather do they make high-end handbags with? I can't get over the fact that it's skin ... ew.

by Anonymousreply 5712/08/2011

I make mine with my mother's old skin.

by Anonymousreply 5812/08/2011

Stella McCartney has a clear tinted plastic/vinyl handbag that I belive runs in the thousands. For plastic....

I have a doe-skined leather satchel style by Prada that I paid a bit over $1800.00 and a Chanel 2.55 that was a gift. I hardly ever carry either bag. The leather on the Prada is a pale caramel color that I'm afraid of staining and I love this bag. The Chanel just seems dressy for everyday. I've had it for about a year and have carried it maybe 3 times. I also never carry my designer bags to work. My co-workers would wonder why I spent this kind of money for a bag. I am in middle managment and even the ladies who are in upper management generally carry Tory Burch, LV etc. We get paid very well, but I've never seen any of the female managing directors carrying Birkins.

by Anonymousreply 5912/08/2011

Oh yeah, Stella McC doesn't work with leather. Cool! Thanks, R59.

by Anonymousreply 6012/08/2011

[quote]Stella McCartney has a clear tinted plastic/vinyl handbag that I belive runs in the thousands. For plastic....

Stella doesn't use leather.

by Anonymousreply 6112/08/2011

"Well, Miss Diana Vreeland at [R30], nobody's referring to the older Coach bags. We're talking about the ones that have been out for the last few years, the ones made of cloth, the ones with the tacky Coach name and logo plastered all over them."

Stop being such a bitchy queen, just admit you learned something from my info about Coach and the late GREAT Bonnie Cashin.

Why use 'we', I don't see anyone else complaining but you! Not everyone who posts here is in their 20s and is completely clueless about the origins of most fashion houses and fashion designers!

Most of the once great fashion houses have been ruined by all this ongoing logo nonsense, especially bags with more hardware and bling than true style!

by Anonymousreply 6212/08/2011

Serious question: Women still buy/want LV bags? They seem so five years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6312/08/2011

"Stella doesn't use leather."

Which is exactly why her crappy handbags, shoes and boots should NOT cost in the hundreds, let alone in the thousands.

Vinyl shoes? Ugh, talk about getting smelly feet, her own feet must be as rancid as her smug face and five head!

by Anonymousreply 6412/08/2011

Whoa, R64. That's some rage. Mellow out.

by Anonymousreply 6512/08/2011

I don't like Stella McCartney, so sue me, R65.

Her 'designs' are horrid and she tries to push her vegetarian agenda on everyone. I'm a vegetarian and it's my business. I don't go to dinner with friends then make comments that they're eating meat. I'm sure there's a lot of skeletons in her closet which are in contrast with her veggie lifestyle.

Let's not forget most people realize she's in the fashion business because her father is Sir Paul McCartney. There are a ton of better designers who never got the attention she has.

She is hardly an innovative designer, there is nothing remarkable about Stella McCartney, just her last name.

by Anonymousreply 6712/08/2011

She's vegan, R67.

by Anonymousreply 6812/08/2011

Bottega Veneta is one of the best examples of a classy, well made bag that is instantly recognizable without having to plaster a logo all over itself. They've made the cross hatch weave their identity. They also make products in exotic skins.

by Anonymousreply 6912/08/2011

For those of you who have expensive handbags, may I ask what it is that makes them worth so much disposable income?

Is it because you see them as things of beauty, or because you think it impresses people?

I can't really think of any other reason.

by Anonymousreply 7012/08/2011

The craftsmanship in some of the bags can be things of beauty.

It might also impress people, sure.

by Anonymousreply 7112/09/2011

by Anonymousreply 7212/09/2011

R70, I have tons of bags. Some from Banana Republic, Lucky Brand etc. Much less expensive than the designer bags I own. They are also your typical canvas casual bags.

The bags I have that are designer, and expensive, I only bought them because I find them beautiful. None of them are canvas casual bags. All of them are bags I look at as timeless, bags that I will have for years to come. Just looking at them you can easily see the craftmanship, the design, the clean and sleek styling, the subtle attention to details. Then the interior - just as fabulous as the exterior.

That is why I bought them. I also have purchased a select few bags at much lower price points (Orton, Cromia etc) that are not as well known as your Chanel's, Tods. Gucci's etc, but have that same quality that I love. I didn't buy these all at once, I've been buying nice bags for almost 15 years, and they all have lasted and look as new as when I got them

For me it has nothing to do with impressing people. It has to do with the look of the bag, and the quality.

As a kid my mom always use to tell me - always have a nice bag, a nice coat and nice shoes - the rest doesn't matter as much. I guess I have taken that advice to adult hood because those are the three things I do splurge on - the rest, the clothes and such, I mostly buy at thrift stores (although I do end up snagging some awesome designer stuff there too)

by Anonymousreply 7312/09/2011

by Anonymousreply 7412/09/2011

r70, I asked myself that when I bought my Prada. I fianally decided "I deserve this and a women of 35 should own at least one high-end handbag that she loves". That was my rationale. I occasionally still question my motivation. As I mentioned, I really, really love my Prada bag. I just wish that I had gotten it in black so that I wouldn't feel so nervous about staining the leather.

by R59

by Anonymousreply 7512/09/2011

R66, I know you posted as a joke but that bag is adorable.

R69, totally agree with you. I own a hobo bag and a minaudiere by Bottega Veneta and love them both. Their handbags are truly stylish and never seem to go out of style. Got turned on to them when they ran an ad campaign several years ago with the tag line "When your own initials are enough." Thought it was such a good line I investigated and ended up buying my hobo. Also have a pair of shoes by them, equally fabu. I would recommend to anyone that you put your money into this brand. It's iconic.

by Anonymousreply 7612/09/2011

OMG, R72. And if anyone doubts the downfall of Vuitton, take a look. The house has bars on the window.

by Anonymousreply 7712/09/2011

And da dake!

by Anonymousreply 7812/09/2011

by Anonymousreply 7912/09/2011

Fake not dake.

by Anonymousreply 8012/09/2011

R66 That is a classic and timeless handbag that 50 years from now ladies will still carry!

by Anonymousreply 8112/09/2011

I agree R72. Nothing says classy like a house painted to look like and LV bag. The sad thing is whoever lives in that house probably thinks it looks great.

by Anonymousreply 8212/09/2011

R79 There are no words to describe that car!

by Anonymousreply 8312/09/2011

don't know if its been posted yet, but the record for a birkin at link. It is beautiful though.

by Anonymousreply 8412/09/2011

r69 thanks for mentioning these bags. The inside is the nicest part of them and that's how it should be because something that expensive is for the owner, not everyone else who looks at it.

by Anonymousreply 8512/09/2011

R85, your post would be a beautiful way to end this thread.

by Anonymousreply 8612/10/2011

Bottega bags are ugly. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 8712/10/2011

Why? I don't know why, but I do. Really. I don't doubt they're well made and "fashionable," I just don't like the looks of them.

by Anonymousreply 8912/10/2011

I'm disappointed you're not analytical, R89. I was truly interested in your take.

by Anonymousreply 9012/10/2011

When I was a teen, I was a complete tomboy- my mother was afraid that I would be a lesbian, so she would buy me these expensive purses (the aforemented classic Coach, Chanel) in the hopes that I would use them. I didn't and sold them off. She would also buy me a lot of Norma Kamali (yeah I'm old) clothing which I would wear.

To this day, I HATE purses. I carry my phone, lipgloss and one concession to girliness, Hello Kitty/Tokidoki wallet (which looks like a LV wallet with HK plastered all over it).

by Anonymousreply 9112/10/2011

My mother is still very status oriented- she has some beautiful purses by Gucci, Bottega Venetta, Chanel.

by Anonymousreply 9212/10/2011

I'm disappointed you're a bit of an ass, R90. I gave you my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 9312/10/2011

the gays = Prada

by Anonymousreply 9412/10/2011

Are purse snatchers called Birkin Stalkers now?

by Anonymousreply 9512/10/2011

A good reminder that I need to get rid of my Louis Vuitton monogram bag. It is PVC and the locket is starting to get rusty. Good thing is the price has gone up quite a bit for that bag so I will break even if I sell.

I have a Tod's and a mulberry and a Moschino. The mulberry is a limited edition Roxanne and I love it. Tod's has good quality leather and lasting hardwire. Didn't like Dior or Chanel or Gucci.

Nowadays I just carry a $40 Japanese bag from ROSS without worrying about smudging on it.

I may get a Balenciaga bag next year though, because it is another value keeper.

by Anonymousreply 9612/10/2011

Handbags replace a woman's virginity. Once her purse is plucked she needs something else to make her feel special.

by Anonymousreply 9712/10/2011

i love the goyard print. Very insidery and unlike the LV print, i would find it attractive even if it didnt cost more than i can afford

by Anonymousreply 9812/10/2011

"Fashion" is a disease.

by Anonymousreply 9912/10/2011

Status Whores are only a slight deviation from Fame Whores.

They are all Attention Whores.

by Anonymousreply 10012/10/2011

[quote]Louis Vuitton is probably made in China or some place like that. Hermes is still, more or less, run like a family business.

I have a friend who is close friends with the guy who owns the LV factory in China. All the LV stuff is made there, then shipped to France for "finishing" so that LV can claim its products were made in France.

by Anonymousreply 10112/10/2011

It's pretty easy to tell a knock-off if you know what to look for.

by Anonymousreply 10212/10/2011

Prada is quite open about its stuff being partially sourced from China and finished in Italy. Shoes from Serbia, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10312/10/2011

R102, like what? The really good knockoffs use the same materials, same hardware, same thread, same everything.

by Anonymousreply 10412/10/2011

Knock off Birkins

by Anonymousreply 10512/10/2011

At least, I never purchase the above mentioned items that have the manufacturers "obvious logos" on them, be it scarves, purses, etc.... I don't want to be too obvious and I think items with the big ole' logos on the are tacky....

...Then then again, so of course is wasting money on $3000 purses...but I digress.

by Anonymousreply 10612/10/2011

This looks pretty convincing.

by Anonymousreply 10712/10/2011

R104, it's all in the details. The weight of the materials, the details of the finishing.

There are tons of knock offs out there, and most are pretty terrible. But even the good ones cut corners that are easy to spot if you know what to look for.

(I used to date a guy who ran a designer handbags department.)

by Anonymousreply 10812/10/2011

But the Chinese are masters at replicating. The good ones, you really can't tell the difference, because they do, in fact use the same materials.

Link to the real Birkins. They look just as fake as the fake bags! But more expensive!1

by Anonymousreply 10912/10/2011

The diacritic mark above the E is different on the fakes.

by Anonymousreply 11012/10/2011

[quote]This looks pretty convincing.

Until you look at the inside.

by Anonymousreply 11112/10/2011

This pre owned Birkin is just $124.750.000

by Anonymousreply 11212/10/2011

People get rich off of the insecurities of others.

by Anonymousreply 11312/10/2011

Damn, fuck Chrome. Now I'm getting ads for Bottega bags wherever I go.

That is some fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 11412/10/2011

What's different about the inside? Not sure why all of this fascinates me so much.

by Anonymousreply 11512/10/2011

R115, if you are throwing down serious cash for a luxury brand bag, you are getting a much finer, better-made piece.

I'm not saying it's worth thousands of dollars necessarily, but there is a distinct difference in what you are getting.

Even with decent knockoffs, once you start looking closely, the fine details just aren't there. And knockoffs fall apart.

Here's a piece of advice for you ladies who think your knockoff passes for the real thing. If you are ever shopping for any high-end apparel or accessories, leave your knockoff at home. The minute a salesperson sees a fake bag, they see a customer who is going to be a pain in the ass. They'll suck up an hour or more of time and spend nothing, or almost nothing, and then return it anyway. Whether or not it's true, someone on commission isn't going to be jumping to help a penny pincher.

by Anonymousreply 11612/10/2011

r114 AdBlock Plus for Chrome.

by Anonymousreply 11712/10/2011

We need to make classic, basic clothing in the USA. It would be jobs and a return to the craft of tailoring. And people would look better.

by Anonymousreply 11912/10/2011

You know the rule, if you give her Herpes, get her a Hermes.

by Anonymousreply 12012/10/2011

Grace Kelly and her Hermes were inseparable.

by Anonymousreply 12112/10/2011

Sorry, link didn't work. Just Google images of grace kelly hermes.

by Anonymousreply 12212/10/2011

Dallas auction house said a Hermes Diamond Birkin handbag set a world record by fetching $203,150 at auction.

Heritage Auctions said the Hermes Exceptional Collection Shiny Rouge H Porosus Crocodile 30cm Birkin Bag with Solid 18 karat White Gold & Diamond Hardware fetched the record price for a publicly auctioned handbag, including the 19.5 percent buyer's premium, at the Dec. 6 auction.

"This is an extraordinary example of one of the world's most exceptional handbags," said Matt Rubinger, director of luxury accessories at Heritage Auctions, "and this was certainly an exceptional price, exceeding our highest expectations at every corner."

"Just a year ago another Birkin, without the jewels and in lesser condition than this one, sold for the equivalent of $77,000 at auction in England," Rubinger said. "Everything about this bag measures up much better than that one, which was the auction record until this: the color, the diamonds, the condition -- it all combines to make this a singular bag and an extraordinary opportunity for a high-end collector."

Source: UPI

by Anonymousreply 12312/11/2011

Madness . . . madness

by Anonymousreply 12412/11/2011

My West Broadway loft, in the early 1980s, cost less than that $203,150 Birkin!

All that cash on a damn handbag. is just surreal. A lot of rich people are mentally ill.

It's a freaking HANDBAG for Christsakes!

by Anonymousreply 12512/11/2011

R93, an opinion without rationale to back it up is useless.

by Anonymousreply 12612/11/2011

For the gal who carries things in her wallet (R91 ... I envy you. There's such freedom in not carrying a bag. I can sometimes do it if I'm running an errand or something, but I just cram so much stuff into my bag.

by Anonymousreply 12712/11/2011

What is the correct pronunciation of Vuitton?

by Anonymousreply 12812/11/2011

To me those labels have become so trashy since every women seem to own a handbag with one of those labels. What's happened to originality?

by Anonymousreply 12912/11/2011

My 11 year old neice wants me to buy her $195 Ugg boots.

My sister is going through a divorce and is poor. I have been lending her money to pay the bills all year. It kills me to spend $200 bucks on one pair of boots for her when I could buy her 4 pairs that look the same without the name brand.

So these women that want $2000 purses. Overgrown 11 year olds that want to be as cool as their friends.

It starts young.

by Anonymousreply 13112/11/2011

R120 don't talk to me if you don't want an answer. If you don't like the answer, too bad.

by Anonymousreply 13212/11/2011

I like the Bottega bags. I love the woven appearance and function is essential to me.

The Birkin used to be interesting, but after seeing Kim Kardashian carry one, it just became ugly to me. Hermes has to make a profit, but I think some designers should just put out a "hit" list with instructions never to sell their product to certain "celebs".

by Anonymousreply 13312/11/2011

R93, I'll forgive you for getting my reply number wrong, since I'm sure you get many things wrong.

You don't seem to grasp the fact that I appreciate your comments about B-V bags, just curious why you felt that way since most women I know adore them.

I guess you feel threatened when somebody asks you to explain yourself. This is common with the unsophisticated.

by Anonymousreply 13412/11/2011

[quote]some designers should put out a "hit" list with instructions never to sell their product to certain "celebs".

I agree. Maybe it sounds terrible, but certain "celebs" really do cheapen the brand. For example, I really wanted a Fiat 500 after renting on in Italy for a month. Then, I saw the ad with Jennifer Lopez. It put me right off the car. All of a sudden, it went from a Fiat 500 to "The Jennifer Lopez car". No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 13512/11/2011

I am a woman and I think it is dopey that women spend so much on handbags. I like Cole Haan bags, they have a classic look without any status adornments.

by Anonymousreply 13612/11/2011

R125,how much would that loft cost today?

by Anonymousreply 13712/11/2011

This bag is simple and it's made in the US. If I am going to spend my money on a bag it should at least be made in the US, or Europe.

by Anonymousreply 13804/22/2012

Gucci, LV and all of those other ugly ass initial purses are for women who have no personal identity or self worh....they need a purse to define them. I like a nicely designed leather bag just as much as anyother broad....i just don't need someone else's initials on my purse. For me it's all about the design & the shape of the bag, inaddition to the color of the leather. Spending more than $500 on a purse is a waste of $$$ and those asshole celebs who cart around $45K Birkin bags should be shot.

by Anonymousreply 13904/22/2012

What about Coach bags, which are ugly and which are everywhere?

People shop at the same exact stores and buy the same exact shit that everybody else buys.

It's disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 14004/22/2012

r138, that is the ugliest bag I have ever seen. A shit-colored abomination.

by Anonymousreply 14104/22/2012

Bill Cunningham on the latest bags

by Anonymousreply 14204/22/2012

I don't own one status symbol item, not in a handbag, wristwatch, car, shoes, nada---but I GET the concept.

It's called "projecting an aura of success."

It is also true that the very successful don't buy Juicy Couture or anything Trump.

by Anonymousreply 14304/22/2012

I'm feeling guilty spending $500 on an Italian bag/purse. I'd never spend more than that.

by Anonymousreply 14404/22/2012

Get clothes with pockets, much easier on the spine.

by Anonymousreply 14504/22/2012

because most women are sheep and need to reaffirm they are on trend by carrying the same bag as everyone else

I like Bill Cunningham because he's so odd and retains his own point of view - he simply shoots what he sees, but very often it reflects the herd mentality of women

by Anonymousreply 14604/22/2012

Love that bag, R138! I like buttery leather and a simple, sensible design.

by Anonymousreply 14704/22/2012

Men are herd creatures too. So many dullsville men, in cargos, fleece, and ball caps, for example.

by Anonymousreply 14804/22/2012

Re: Gucci, LV logos, etc. - isn't it true that the brand is devalued for customers once black people start appropriating the logos?

I, for one, definitely think carrying around LV logo handbags is tacky and ghetto. Although my mom does have some vintage 60s/70s subtle Gucci bags that are really chic.

by Anonymousreply 14904/22/2012

[quote][R138], that is the ugliest bag I have ever seen. A shit-colored abomination.

Well, it is a $350 bag. I think it is simple and looks good for everyday, casual use. It is hard to tell the real color; it looks a bit different in every photo:

by Anonymousreply 15004/22/2012

Up thread someone mentioned that Coach have re-released many of the classic Bonnie Cashin era Coach bags and they provided a link.

Though these bags look very much like the Coach bags Cashin designed, I'm pretty sure they are not made with the same high quality heavy strong leather Coach once used in their bags. They are most likely made in China, as most current Coach bags are.

The Coach bags of the Cashin era were made in NYC. Later on, there were being produced in Costa Rica, then on to China. Sad.

A female friend recently showed me her new Coach bag purchased at one of the Coast outlet stores. It was black leather, in sort of a classic tote style with a snap buckle flap closure. When I looked at the horrible lining, I was shocked, the lining was a thin cheap looking light blue material, the inside of this bag basically looked like it could be from JC Penney!

My friend paid around $129 and thought it was a bargain, the original price on the tag was $398. I wouldn't have paid $50 for that bag!

by Anonymousreply 15104/24/2012

If your handbags are so tacky then you can't catch up with the fashion trends? The answer is "Yes", Is it hermes handbag distance us too far,which cost and time?Yes, ok,Let have look at, you will find that any hermes products you want,include a lot of style,like hermes birkin,birkin bag,hermes kelly,hemres belt,hermes scarf and so on, the hermes design and quality, the ordinary person simply can not distinguish replicas and real, the quality is very good,with very affordable price sale online, the arrival time about 6-8 days, such a perfect opportunity, Dear friends can not miss it, let us get rid of those tacky bag to keep up with fashion trends, let us do it!This will be a breakthrough in your lifetime!

by Anonymousreply 15209/03/2012

I have one really expensive bag, a medium sized leather Burberry. I love it. It's my favorite. Someone gave it to me as a present years ago and if I knew how expensive it was then I would have felt guilty accepting it. It's a well crafted/constructed bag.

Like an idiot it took me forever to figure out that salespeople were much more attentive when I walked into a shop with it. And that's basically it, status seeking people treat you better because you have a pricy bag. Who cares, as long as one like's the bag they carry.

Also, the one's with the brand name/or signature brand pattern all over them look silly.

by Anonymousreply 15309/03/2012

Goyard. That is all

by Anonymousreply 15409/03/2012

I only wear designer items if it is gifted to me by the designer or given to me as a present by a business acquaintance or from a gift bag from an event (but never go to gifting suites).

by Anonymousreply 15509/03/2012

Could someone tell me why some female celebs are STILL carrying this TIRED pattern from Louis Vuitton?

by Anonymousreply 15605/04/2013

I think the Birkin bags are so ugly!

by Anonymousreply 15705/04/2013

A new low for LV is that the Boston Bombers mother was photographed in an ugly yellow headscarf carrying an LV tote.

by Anonymousreply 15805/04/2013

The poors like to own at least one designer item to feel better about themselves and like they're living the life. I did my website for them.

by Anonymousreply 15905/04/2013

A person has the right to spend their money any way they see fit. Mind your damn business.

by Anonymousreply 16005/04/2013

R160 = Label queen who thinks designer stuff makes her special.

by Anonymousreply 16105/04/2013

R161= EBT queen who can only afford to use plastic Walmart shopping bags he/she brings groceries home in, as a purse. He/she also smells like summer in Calcutta.

by Anonymousreply 16205/04/2013

By the way R161, soap is cheap, just like you. Look into it.

by Anonymousreply 16305/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!