Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best smelling laundry detergent?

I bought some stuff at a consignment store and my god, I almost don't want to rewash them. Would it be weird to sniff every single thing in the grocery store?

by Anonymousreply 13707/01/2013

I really like the smell of Surf.

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2011

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2011

arm and hammer ... resh baking soda smell

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2011

Gain's got it, but it's too expensive.

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2011

Costco's Kirkland brand smells great.

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2011

I am a surf guy too. Still have 3 boxes i paid a buck each with coupons. Scent doesnt last that long anyway after laundry based on my experience. Even with fabric softener. Lotta bs marketing just like everything else. But i do like the way it smells outta the box. Cant beat it for a buck each.

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2011

Unscented, S.V.P.

I don't buy Hermes Eau des Merveilles to smell like a laundromat.

Really. Why make cologne/perfume spar with detergent?

As for sheets, if they smell, it's time to wash them.

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2011

....AWESOME. I buy it at the 99 Cent Store. ...sometimes I add a little ammonia as a booster.

by Anonymousreply 812/06/2011

Also love Arm & Hammer, but not every scent. They stopped making my favorite (Emerald Mist) but the original liquid smells pretty close. Avoid anything with lavender scent.

Era is another good one.

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2011

"I bought some stuff at a consignment store"

What consignment store sells laundry detergent?! OR do you mean a liquidation type store, such as National Wholesale Liquidators?

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2011

I love the Arm & Hammer with Oxy Clean in the Fresh scent.

As far as softeners, I find the ones made in Mexico, such as the small sizes of Downy and Suavitel, seem to be more concentrated with a larger selection of scents.

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2011

"I don't buy Hermes Eau des Merveilles to smell like a laundromat."

Well....SMELL YOU!

by Anonymousreply 1212/06/2011

Purex liquid is my favourite.

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2011

Tide but it's so expensive that I haven't bought it in years.

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2011

I hate my HE 2X concentrated crap.

In fact, I hate my HE front loading washing machine. I'm getting rid of the piece of shit and going old school.

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2011

OP, I have a special brand coming out under my name. You'll swear it smells like me!

by Anonymousreply 1812/06/2011

I agree r15. I hate my front loading machine. I feel like it does not clean very well. And it's small so two towels with a few other things at a time - tops.

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2011

Me too r15. I fucking hate my front loading piece-o-shit too. Kenmore sucks. Next washer is top loading. Oh, and the whole scam of buying those dumb pedestals.

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2011

I love Method's ultra-concentrated "Fresh Air." Great smell, and the pump bottle it comes in is revolutionary. 4 simple pumps for one load, 50 loads' worth in the small, lightweight bottle. Can buy refill detergent in pouches that can be poured into your original pump bottle so it dramatically cuts down on waste (don't have to keep recycling or trashing all the empty detergent bottles). I buy it at Target (I know Target is evil but on occasion I still go there); it is apparently available at other stores though I've yet to see it in my local grocery stores. see link.

Second choice would be the lavender scented detergent from Trader Joe's, but it definitely takes some getting used to as it's a pungent lavender and unlike any other laundry detergent smell.

I used to love one of the Gain brand scents but they discontinued it a few years ago.

If it comes to free and clear (unscented) detergents, I like Seventh Generation (expensive though).

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2011

oh, p.s. OP: I don't think it'd be weird for you to unscrew the caps and smell the detergents before you buy, especially if you're trying to match a scent you know you like.

by Anonymousreply 2212/06/2011

Gain is it, regular scent.

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2011

Surprised to hear people don't like the front-loaders. I bought one three years ago and love it. It hardly uses any water and the clothes are super clean.

by Anonymousreply 2412/06/2011

Ariel laundry detergent is the best smelling one ever. You can find it at most Latin markets and the like. OP probably bought clothes from the consignment shop which smelled like this detergent.

Suavitel is the best smelling fabric softener and has a large variety but it is very strong. Wal Mart of all places even sells it.

by Anonymousreply 2512/06/2011

R7, I'm a Terre man myself.

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2011

Those damn dryer sheets can clog up your dryer's lint screen plus most of them reek.

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2011

Front loaders are great!

No dryer sheets! Use Gain softener in wsher.

by Anonymousreply 2812/06/2011

Guy at Lowe's told me people either love or hate high efficiency washing machines.

There is no in between.

by Anonymousreply 2912/06/2011

Love my new Whirlpool HE front load washer and dryer.

by Anonymousreply 3012/06/2011

I like top-loading washing machines so that I can lift the lid and watch. The door on front-loading machines locks; they're boring. I don't get to watch.

by Anonymousreply 3112/06/2011

Gain makes me horny as hell.

by Anonymousreply 3212/06/2011

High efficiency washer is code for 'you will save water but your clothes will stink.'

Just like low flow toilet is code for 'you will save water but it will take three flushes to get the turd down the hole.'

by Anonymousreply 3312/06/2011

What do you^ mean, r31? Pull up a chair and watch the front loader cycle through the clear door! Lots of fun!

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2011

Mrs Meyer's liquid laundry soap: the lemon verbena and the lavender are wonderful. All of them are.

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2011

R10, it's used clothing. As in someone else wore it, washed it and sold it.

by Anonymousreply 3612/07/2011

The one where the bear jumps into the washing machine.

by Anonymousreply 3712/07/2011

Trader Joes! It smells so natural

by Anonymousreply 3812/07/2011

Best smelling 'natural' brands: Biokleen laundry powder has a subtle citrus scent and works great. 7th Generation used to make a powder laundry detergent that smelled like bergamot and petitgrain but now that scent is only available in a liquid formula. In my experience liquid detergents are less effective than powders.

Artificial fragrances: I like Persil but the scent is REALLY strong.

by Anonymousreply 3912/07/2011

Make my own with grated Mexican ZOTE bar soap, borax powder, and washing soda.

Easy to do, saves $.

by Anonymousreply 4012/07/2011

Tocca's Touch

by Anonymousreply 4112/07/2011

Gain, hands down.

by Anonymousreply 4212/07/2011

Tide with Febreze Sports Scent. The Best.

by Anonymousreply 4312/07/2011

I hate the way my housekeeper does my laundry. It never smells fresh. I think it must be those industrial type machines in the basement of the building. One day I will move to the suburbs and have my own washer and dryer!

by Anonymousreply 4412/07/2011

It's hard to find, but Lavender Tide is heavenly, and the smell stays on the clothes.

by Anonymousreply 4512/07/2011

For the best smelling clothes you should hang them to dry outdoors, preferably with a north Atlantic breeze. Six pins, Datalounge! Six pins, not five!

by Anonymousreply 4612/07/2011

Dryer sheets can be used to polish shoes.

by Anonymousreply 4712/07/2011

[quote]arm and hammer ... (f)resh baking soda smell

This; or the unscented one. I'm not a fan of perfume in my detergent.

by Anonymousreply 4812/07/2011

It's amazing how most of you seem to have bought into this purely commercial idea that laundry has to 'smell' a certain way in order to be 'fresh.'

To me, if it smells at all -- pine-y, lavender-y, outdoors-y, whatever-y -- it's not truly clean.

by Anonymousreply 4912/07/2011

Another vote for Gain but I always buy the Apple-Mango scent. I buy the fabric softener and dryer sheets in that scent, too.

by Anonymousreply 5012/07/2011

I agree, R49.

When my neighbors dry their clothes, their dryer vent is on the driveway side of my house.

Some of that shit they use with their laundry, whether it's the detergent or if it's a brand of dryer sheets, is positively overbearing. I can smell it inside my house with the windows closed!

And I am not usually sensitive to heavy perfumes, colognes, etc.

If you have to mask your laundry with a scent made out of out god-knows-what, you've fallen hook, line, and sinker for their marketing ploy. And you probably also use the "manufacturers recommended amount of detergent" too, i.e., WAY too much per load!

Sheeple B dumb ….

by Anonymousreply 5112/07/2011

I thought only women in TV commercials (who spend their days picking up the filthy, stiff socks of their teenage boys and sniffing them -- surprised that something caked in dirt and cum and who- knows-what might not smell like a forest glade) want their clothes to stink of scented detergents.

by Anonymousreply 5212/07/2011

OK, we get it already you prissy queen. You have to wash your caftans in unscented detergents because you are just too delicate a flower to handle any aroma.

by Anonymousreply 5312/07/2011

I add this to my wash. It's not terribly overpowering or feminine smelling, but has a wonderful scent that just makes everything smell really fresh.

I use the blue kind.

by Anonymousreply 5412/07/2011

Uh, R53, you're the one insisting your laundry smells like apple-mango and lavender. Careful with whom you're calling prissy queen.

by Anonymousreply 5512/07/2011

Who you tellin' what?

by Anonymousreply 5612/07/2011

-- Curious ---

If you had to put a dollar figure on it, how much would you say you spend for detergents and dryer sheets (if you use them) on a yearly basis?

The total figure you spend?

I probably spend about $20-$25/year.

by Anonymousreply 5712/07/2011

As the store what detg they use. Many stores launder before putting on sale.

by Anonymousreply 5812/07/2011

I'm with the rest of you bitches regarding the front loading HE machines. THEY DO NOT CLEAN EFFECTIVLY. end-of-story. Initially, I actually bought one of the LG top loaders without the center agitator; that SHIT DOESN'T CLEAN either. Without the center agitator, clothes just get swished and twisted together -ugh. I sent it back and got the LG front loader. Junk! In order to clean clothes, you need adequate water AND consistent agitation of the clothes! When I get my next machine, I'm getting a true old-school top loader with center agitator and extra large capacity. Water savings be damned!

by Anonymousreply 5912/07/2011

What detergent do you use to wash your clothes?

I would think that at this point in your life, you have already chosen the laundry detergent which smells best to you. Or do you buy detergent that smells like shit?

by Anonymousreply 6012/07/2011

I may have to agree with R59 about the HE front loading washer. The jury's still out for me as I just got mine. It seems it's a delicate balance finding the right amount of soap to use: too much it leaves a film; not enough the clothes aren't thorougly cleaned.

by Anonymousreply 6112/07/2011

This test convinced me a front loading machine gets things cleaner:

When I first got my LG front loading washer, I did a big load of towels and forgot to put in any detergent. I looked in the window of the machine and it was FILLED with suds. Completely filled. And it was entirely from residual detergent left on the towels by my old top loading machine.

You may think the old top loader got things cleaner, but I bet it's just because you were accustomed to smelling residual detergent and associated that smell with a 'fresh, clean' smell.

by Anonymousreply 6212/07/2011

Another vote for Purex Softener Crystals. You add them at the same time you add then detergent. I adore the scent!

by Anonymousreply 6312/07/2011

I use a top-loader with a tiny amount of unscented detergent and instead of a dryer sheet, I put a quarter-sized spot of unscented liquid softener on a washcloth and throw it in the dryer.

I have a clothesline and sometimes hang things outside to dry in good weather, too, but probably won't do that again for the next few months.

by Anonymousreply 6412/07/2011

I think there are a lot of people on this thread who don't know how to properly wash clothes.

by Anonymousreply 6512/07/2011

Why won't you line dry in the winter, R64?

Clothes dry great in freezing weather provided the humidity in the air is low.

Laundry will dry sometimes faster in winter than a high humidity summer day.

Here's a link to tell you all about it.

by Anonymousreply 6612/07/2011

For those who like scented laundry, the link below will make your day.

by Anonymousreply 6712/07/2011

Gain then Arctic Power but powder form only.

by Anonymousreply 6812/08/2011

I became allergic to dryer sheets about 7 years ago. I was initially convinced that it was scented laundry products (every time I wore clothes I broke out in hives) so I got rid of all my scented products and bought unscented ones. I still had hives.

Finally I tried eliminating the dryer sheets. Problem solved; but whatever it was in the dryer sheets that caused the problem, it had nothing to do with fragrance, because I can use scented laundry detergent. It sucks in the winter especially, because it's very dry where I live and the static electricity is maddening.

I have been using the white lilac Tide, which I think has been discontinued, but I have been reminded by this thread that Surf is pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 6912/08/2011

These new overly strong smelling ranges are a nightmare with anyone sesitive to smells and perfumes, you have to keep around 30m away from people that have used them. More and more comnpanies seem to be turning to the same type of chemicals as gradually i find that i am unable to use more and more products. It cannot be good for babies and children trapped in these strong chemicals and i wouldnt be suprised if it could worsen asthma or make allergies worse for children that are prone to them. I cant even open the cupboard door where my mum keeps her daz powder. I really hope this wont continue to be the way of the future as i could end up hardly being able to go out anywhere

by Anonymousreply 7008/26/2012

Practically all manufacturers recently changed their detergent formulas and increased the amount (and stinkiness) of perfumes they put in them ten-fold. The smell is not for humans. It's simply unbearable. It's funny how some human-looking creatures who live around us emit this new laundry detergent stench within 15 feet around them and not even noticing how strong it is. I wonder what is the purpose of these new smells: to pleasure poor sense of smell of non-humans or to accelerate extinction of humans?

by Anonymousreply 7106/24/2013

Merde du Printemps is my favorite, but hard to find in America.

by Anonymousreply 7206/24/2013

Persil & Vaska

by Anonymousreply 7306/24/2013

Like seversl posters up thread, I hate my front loader too. I have to buy the super expensive detergent in order for anything to look clean. I had it repaired recently and the repair man said not to over load it! I never overloaded it, the stupid thing just can't seem to take more than a couple of towels and a pair of socks. And I hate not being able to drop something into it after I've started it.

No, I'm going back to top loader as soon as this thing dies.

by Anonymousreply 7406/24/2013

I've never had a problem with my HE machine and always use Tide pods.

by Anonymousreply 7506/24/2013

I had to buy laundry detergent last week and practically the entire aisle was super-concentrated liquid. The Arm & Hammer powder was way down at the end on the bottom shelf. Can't stand the liquid stuff; you're paying for the water and most people use too much.

by Anonymousreply 7606/24/2013

The secret to using any detergrent is to ignore the instructions. Use half of what they tell you. Equally effective and you'll save money. Same for shampoo. Transfer to plastic bottle with half water/half product.

by Anonymousreply 7706/24/2013

What a lot of ladies in this thread.

I thought it was only housewives on TV commercials who spent their days, closed-eyed, pressing their faces into freshly laundered clothes, dreaming of a sensitive husband who treats them to tiramisu in Tuscan restaurants every night of the week, as though every day were an important anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 7806/24/2013

I'm with R71. I had to request to be moved away from a coworker because she smelled so strongly of detergent, I couldn't breathe and my eyes would water. Being within 15 feet of her was like sitting in the detergent aisle of the grocery store for 8+ hours a day.

Other coworkers wear strong cologne, but that has no effect on me.

by Anonymousreply 7906/24/2013

I also hate my HE washer. It even leaves soap residue on bulky items . I sure hope they continue to make the old style.

by Anonymousreply 8006/24/2013

I keep smelling these women who smell like a guy shot 10 tons of cum on them(maybe that had happened)! Talk about using too much Clorox on your clothes.One wants to smell good BUT not like a cum factory. There must be an alternative.

by Anonymousreply 8106/24/2013

This is the best linen wash you will ever buy.

by Anonymousreply 8206/24/2013

I love Suavitel. The smell triggers memories of all the uncut Mexican cock I sucked in Puerto Vallarta.

by Anonymousreply 8306/24/2013

"Consignment shop" = second hand store.

by Anonymousreply 8406/24/2013

They all keep putting all that nasty stank perfume in them. Why can't they just make a scent-free detergent? WTF? I'll choose my smell, not some lab-created stank!

The detergents also make some people ITCH from the scent and softener additives. And when you sweat that shit gets absorbed into your body, just like the dry cleaning fluids did to Liberace, which put him in the hospital with toxic poisoning.

The only brand to use without all that crap in it is BORAX. Which you can find at Wal-Mart and other fine stores. It cleans GREAT.

by Anonymousreply 8506/24/2013

Tide Sport with Febreeze.

by Anonymousreply 8606/24/2013

I buy stuff fragrance free. The "sensitive skin" stuff, including liquid fabric softener. Never use dryer sheets. I don't want my clothes to smell. That is what cologne is for.

by Anonymousreply 8706/24/2013

I'd avoid anything lavender-scented unless you want to smell like old lady perfume.

I like most varieties of Tide, and it cleans well. But OP I don't think it's odd to stand in the store and smell the various detergents. I do it with shampoos, too.

by Anonymousreply 8806/24/2013

I love you, R85 and R87.

by Anonymousreply 8906/24/2013

Imagine the stupidity of selecting a laundry detergent because of how it smells and not it's cleaning power or economy of use.

A big tip of the hat to the poster above who said to use half of what the manufacturers suggest.

by Anonymousreply 9006/24/2013

[quote]The secret to using any detergent is to ignore the instructions. Use half of what they tell you. Equally effective and you'll save money. Same for shampoo. Transfer to plastic bottle with half water/half product.

NEVER add water to any product unless you plan on using it all within the day. Non-purified water quickly goes bacterial once it sits for more than 24 hours, and the addition of fluid dilutes whatever preservative is already in the product to an ineffective level.

by Anonymousreply 9106/24/2013

I use All unscented /hypoallergenic it's cheap.

Tatum o Neal used to add a certain French perfume to her rinse cycle after her idol Bianca Jagger

by Anonymousreply 9206/24/2013

[quote]I use All unscented

So do I.

Not only don't I like the smell of laundry chemicals on me, I can't stand getting close to anyone whose laundry detergent or dryer sheets I can smell. I've not hired people who reek of these things. Same with dating.

You might describe these odors as Essence of White Trash, but they're not even White Trash: they're White Trash [italic]Aspirational[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 9306/24/2013

Do some of you guys have especially small front-loading washing machines? And you can't open them once they've started? I don't have a fancy model, but there is adequate room for a full load of clothes and I can stop it at any time.

by Anonymousreply 9406/24/2013

From what I have heard, with front-loading machines, the tumbling of the clothes is the agitation. I know this doesn't fly with some people, but I am saving up and looking forward to getting a front-loader. The house I bought recently came with a top-loader, and holy cow that thing has worn my clothes down. I open the washer sometimes and my dress shirts are twisted together like ropes. it really wears out the collars and other edges.

I use Purex unscented, with a bit of Oxi-Clean powder. The best smell is no smell.

by Anonymousreply 9506/24/2013

I used to go completely unscented in both detergent and softener, until I discovered the Meyer's BASIL fabric softener. It's lovely!

When my local store and I both ran out of Basil, I tried the LAVENDER. At first it seemed too "oldladylike," but it is now my second favorite.

by Anonymousreply 9606/24/2013

Tide est la! La salete s'en va!

by Anonymousreply 9706/24/2013

Ariel with Levender.

Best detergent ever.

by Anonymousreply 9806/24/2013

I got rid of my crappy kenmore front loading washer and bought a great a whirlpool top loading one. Soooooo much better.

I swear I could only wash about 2 pairs of jeans in the front loading. It sucked. Plus the whole frame started to crack. It lasted like 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 9906/24/2013

A thread about the same topic...more civil and learned to boot.

by Anonymousreply 10006/24/2013

r99 -- I've had my Whirlpool top loader washer since 1993 -- no problems.

Well, I did replace the agitator dogs a few years back but I did the repair myself. Less that $20 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 10106/24/2013

I tried putting a scoop of Oxi-Clean in my wash, but it didn't do anything. You can't beat plain old bleach.

by Anonymousreply 10206/24/2013

[quote]I did replace the agitator dogs a few years back

That sounds so "Flintstones."

by Anonymousreply 10306/24/2013

R102, try Biz. That stuff is great on food stains, especially if you pre-soak.

by Anonymousreply 10406/24/2013

Rinso Blue

by Anonymousreply 10506/24/2013

How can I get out those yellow underarm stains from my workout t-shirts? I spray the stains with Resolve, but it doesn't help.

by Anonymousreply 10606/24/2013

Best answer, R106? Buy new tee shirts.

The stains are probably from your anti-perspirant. At this point, they're well and truly set. You can try making a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. Then slather that on to the stained areas. Set in the sun to dry. Brush off the residue and wash normally.

But that's a lot of work. Just buy new tee shirts.

by Anonymousreply 10706/24/2013

I called that old bat Inspector 12 at Hanes in NC and she said what r107 said.

"Those T-shirts are RURNT!"

by Anonymousreply 10806/24/2013

Why are you laundry queens complaining about detergent being too expensive! You guys all have gym memberships (and jizz on the floor, while the management watches) and are fully stocked on liquor, but don't want to spend an extra dollar or 2 to buy soap!?

Buy some tide or gain, you will use LESS of it than the cheaper stuff. Meaning, you will break even with the cost. It also preserves the color and fabric of your stuff better, meaning it lasts longer and needs to be replaced less often!

I use Woolite for Darks ( not endorsed by Paula Deen) for my dark or delicate stuff, and tide for the rest. My clothes last so long (even with regular washes) that I have to give them away.

by Anonymousreply 10906/24/2013

R106, in my experience washing men's tshirts, you can't. Washing them in bleach is what makes the stains worst, so if you buy new shirts, keep them away from bleach and see if that helps. Also, wear darker shirts.

by Anonymousreply 11006/24/2013

Forget about your World War II appliances and shitty detergents that don't even do anything without bleach and oxi-clean.

A Miele front load washer + Persil Megaperls (white or color) is the way to go if you want to have clean and good smelling clothes.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 11106/24/2013

I LOVE that scent "Just shat Taco Bell" cuz it's one of the few that lingers!

by Anonymousreply 11206/24/2013

Another vote for ARIEL. When I am in Europe I always bring back a bag of powdered Ariel with me.

by Anonymousreply 11306/24/2013

R106 I'm pretty sure R107 is right. I had some white polo shirts that had yellowish stains from antiperspirant. Chlorine bleach doesn't help, even when applied directly to the fabric.

Soaking in a water/ammonia solution removes perspiration odor but not the yellowing.

The best thing is to start with new tees and apply diluted detergent to the underarm area each time you wash. Use chlorine or non-chlorine bleach as you see necessary to keep them bright white.

And an old product called bluing, judiciously used, will fight yellowing from occurring.

by Anonymousreply 11406/24/2013

Gain Apple Mango.

by Anonymousreply 11506/24/2013

I put baking soda in the HE machine, right in with the clothes. Its makes the clothes very fresh, and it seems like the detergent rinses completely off.

Shitty front loaders are a huge failure. I hope they are eventually phased out and everyone goes back to top loaders with the agitator. You can wash way more clothes in a top loader. Im sick of only being able to wash five pieces of clothes at a time.

by Anonymousreply 11606/24/2013

Use plain white vinegar to dissolve the armpit stains. You may have to repeat it a few times if they are heavy, but it really does work.

by Anonymousreply 11706/25/2013

"And an old product called bluing, judiciously used, will fight yellowing from occurring."

Is "blue", as my mom called it, still available? I've never seen blue in any of my local supermarkets and Costco certainly doesn't have it, they barely have a wide selection of laundry detergents. My local Costco has maybe four different detergent brands,

I remember blue came in a cobalt blue glass bottle and the product was actually a blue liquid.

by Anonymousreply 11806/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 11906/26/2013

[quote] Why are you laundry queens complaining about detergent being too expensive! You guys all have gym memberships

It's mostly lesbians who are obsessed with laundry detergent. They make a lot less money than men do and they want to be all natural, so they are stating their laundry boundaries to you.

by Anonymousreply 12006/26/2013

An Oxiclean soak, plus a combo of Oxi and chlorine bleach in the cycle, on the disinfect or baby clothes setting, plus a good 1/2 day dry in direct hot sun, will prevent sweat stains and even reverse yellowed shirts.

My whites are nearly Klan-level.

by Anonymousreply 12106/26/2013

Gain regular scent is my fave

by Anonymousreply 12206/26/2013

Best smelling Fabric softener: Suavitel Liquid Fabric Softener -- Morning Sun (in the yellow bottle). It's dirt cheap too.

by Anonymousreply 12306/26/2013

Amazon sells Mrs. Stewart's bluing. I bought mine at a brick and mortar store, I just can't remember where. The bottle lasts a long time.

by Anonymousreply 12406/26/2013

I love Arm and Hammer sensitive skin scented. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 12506/26/2013

I'm not sure where all these people with the tiny front loaders are coming from. I can put multiple comforters, sheets and clothes in mine at the same time. And it gets all of it clean, too.

by Anonymousreply 12606/26/2013

I am wondering that too r126.

I was under the impression that the tub capacities were the same, toploader v front loader.

by Anonymousreply 12706/26/2013

Perhaps it was sprayed with Febreze, OP.

Frugal fraus have placed recipes for making ones own Febreze online.

Recipe #1

1 cup fabric softener

1 cup white vinegar

2 cups water

Recipe #2

2 cups water

1 cup fabric softener

Recipe #3

3 cups water

3 Tbsp fabric softener

3 Tbsp rubbing alcohol

Recipe #4

2 cups water (warm)

1/4 cup fabric softener

1 Tbsp baking soda

Recipe #5

1 part water

3 parts fabric softener

1/8 Cup of fabric softener

2 tablespoons Baking Soda

Hot tap water

Spray bottle

by Anonymousreply 12806/26/2013

Just use cheap, plain and simple BORAX.

All the detergents on the shelves contain it.

Only difference is they add scent and fabric softeners and color enhancers that have nothing to do with the cleaning process.

BORAX was the first soap powder, being used for over 100 years.

If you pay $20 for Tide you're a sucker.

by Anonymousreply 12906/27/2013

This worked and my clothes came out super clean, stain free.

I deliberately stained a white t-shirt with blueberry juice and this concoction took that stain out completely, so I know it works and -- it was cheap creating my own homemade laundry detergent!

by Anonymousreply 13006/27/2013

I make my detergent as well, r130, but I make mine dry, without the water.

I store it in an old Tide detergent box. One or two tablespoons is all I need, depending on load size. I wash in cold water most of the year.

My favorites bar soaps that I start a batch of my homemade detergent with are: ZOTE, Lirio, Fels Naptha, or Kirk's Castile -- I switch around, depending on what's on sale or at a good price.

My Wal-Mart and Kroger sell ZOTE, Fels Naptha, and Kirk's Castile; the Lirio I find at Hispanic markets.

by Anonymousreply 13106/27/2013

R118 I buy Mrs Stewart's bluing at Kroger.

Watch, though, it can stain. Dilute a few drops in a quart of water before adding it to the rince water.

Also, rince off the bottle if any gets on it.

by Anonymousreply 13206/27/2013

There's a Purex liquid laundry detergent I love.

It's really important that my sheets smell good or I hate sleeping in them. Some detergents are too clinical smelling or strong. When I've bought the wrong detergent or there was not much choice I'd end up wanting to redo my entire laundry and couldn't wait to rewash everything. Sadly I have to go to the laundry room in my basement which is a drag and time consuming.

by Anonymousreply 13306/27/2013

I actually do know how to spell rinse.

by Anonymousreply 13406/27/2013

[quote]It's really important that my sheets smell good or I hate sleeping in them.

You must be the heroine from "The Princess And The Pea".

by Anonymousreply 13506/27/2013

Laundry is the fifth dimension.

I believe in wash fulfillment.

Treasure your spin cycle.

Nobody brings small problems into a laundromat.

by Anonymousreply 13606/28/2013

Hot off the press --

Consumer Reports weighs in.

by Anonymousreply 13707/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!