Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

1. Creed has sold more records in the US than Jimi Hendrix

2. Led Zeppelin, REM, and Depeche Mode have never had a number one single, Rihanna has 10

3. Ke$ha's “Tik-Tok” sold more copies than ANY Beatles single

4. Flo Rida's “Low” has sold 8 million copies – the same as The Beatles' “Hey Jude”

5. The Black Eyed Peas' “I Gotta Feeling” is more popular than any Elvis or Simon & Garfunkel song

6. Celine Dion's “Falling Into You” sold more copies than any Queen, Nirvana, or Bruce Springsteen record

7. Same with Shania Twain's “Come On Over”

8. Katy Perry holds the same record as Michael Jackson for most number one singles from an album

9. Barbra Streisand has sold more records (140 million) than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty combined

10. People actually bought Billy Ray Cyrus' album “Some Gave All…” 20 million people. More than any Bob Marley album

11. The cast of “Glee” has had more songs chart than the Beatles

12. Justin Bieber exists.

by Anonymousreply 17205/16/2014

Shouldn't Madonna's popularity be somewhere in there?

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2011

[quote] Flo Rida's “Low” has sold 8 million copies – the same as The Beatles' “Hey Jude”

It may not be as iconic, but it was a much more enjoyable song to listen to. Hey Jude, with its interminable repetition, should be used if waterboarding isn't strong enough.

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2011

Queen never won a Grammy

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2011

Neither James Brown nor Bruce Springsteen has had a number one pop hits, while Mariah Carey has 18.

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2011

Hey leave Babs alone! Your other points are well made though.

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2011

[quote]9. Barbra Streisand has sold more records (140 million) than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty combined

Apples and oranges much? Whatever. I grew up near the Cash family and one thing I know for sure is that Johnny Cash was rather ego free.

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2011

Jaden Smith (abetted by Bieber) has had over 280 million views on Youtube for Never Say Never. No wonder he looks like such a smug little bastard.

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2011

This list was obviously compiled by a bitter, elitist rock/alt/country music fan, particularly one fond of music from the 1970s and earlier, who has no concept or perspective of the population growth of this country in the last 50 years. It's pop music simply because of its mass appeal.

This meme should be banished to the depths of hell for its sheer stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 812/06/2011

Considering the state of popular music and the taste of the average member of the public, none of this surprises me.

And why WOULDN"T B. Streisand sell more records than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash and Tom Petty? Not a Streisand fanatic, but at least she can carry a fucking tune, which is more than you can say about any of the others.

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2011

r8 is proud of his own awful taste.

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2011

Well if I wasn't depressed before....

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2011

[quote] Queen never won a Grammy

Cool bands didn't win grammys back then.

by Anonymousreply 1212/06/2011

NEWS FLASH!!! People are stupid and their tastes engineered for them by corporations. STOP THE PRESSES!!!

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2011

Not as gloomy as it sounds, though depressing.

Ke$hit's singles sold in an era where singles are all most buy. Her album sales are paltry compared to the #1 records of the past.

Streisand was a legitimate singing superstar with many hits. "Evergreen" and "Woman In Love" are as legit as any other song.

Most rock baneds never climbed the Hot 100 but charted regularly. Stairway to Heaven hit #2 in an era where that meant something. It's much easier to hit #1 now since everything is so concentrated with the media darlings and distribution kings.

As for Glee, most of their chart hits spend a week or two between #90-100 and then fall off the charts.

The one that depresses me is the Black Eyed Peas, who broke all kinds of records by sepnding 26 weeks at #1. They are also one of only a few groups to replace themselves at #1 (the others were Boyz II Men and The Beatles, with the latter putting three songs in a row at #1).

Another interesting note on Ke$hit: she broke into Prince's home to beg him to produce her album, and he had her thrown out. Her debut single, Tik Tok, spent nine weeks at #1, longer than any Prince song ever spent there!

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2011

As far as I'm concerned it is going downhill because there's too much of it aimed at tweens. I had the misfortune of being forced to watch some Nickelodean this morning and they played "music" videos starring the stars of ICarly and other Nick "stars". They all sounded canned meaning they owe everything to electronic wizardry and good looks. The next generation of Britneys is being groomed by tv stations and they don't have any musical talent. There's a boy band called Big Time Rush and they are hilarious. Here's a clip.

There is still good music out they but the majority never gets much air play.

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2011

should be out there.

by Anonymousreply 1612/06/2011

[quote]Shouldn't Madonna's popularity be somewhere in there?

Madonna has had her fair share of duds (lately) but albums like True Blue, Like A Prayer and Ray of Light were not only major commercial successes but also critical successes.

The Babs one throws me for a loop, too. Mariah Carey or Janet "I made all my hits ripping off old songs" Jackson should have been there instead.

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2011

Thanks, R13

Billions and billions served

by Anonymousreply 1812/06/2011

You also have to consider that you can buy music with one click from your home or mobile phone instead of going to a physical store.

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2011

I completely agree with R8. I cannot stand fucking rock music critics and fans, with their attitude that only music they like is "cool" and everything else sucks (as demonstrated by R10 also). The stats listed in the OP show that their taste doesn't control and is not shared by all.

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2011

R20, it's about talent and quality... vs. the "fast food" pre-packaged marketing gloss passed off as music today.

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2011

Point number 1 makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 2212/06/2011

OP--Popular music rarely is the best music. So what?

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2011

To buy a single today all you have to do is click a link on your phone or computer and you can listen to it anywhere.. In 1963, you had to schelp your ass to a record store and listen in front of a relatively expensive device. Not a level playing field on which to compare raw numbers.

You don't need numbers to know that the Beatles and Michael Jackson were far more important to their times than kei$ha or Katy Perry is to now and there is little doubt that future generations will still admire Jimi Hendrix and John Lennon but probably not Rihanna.

by Anonymousreply 2412/06/2011

No one will ever sell more than Barbra- she's been making records for 50 years. Some of these groups had 1 or 2 good albums, thats it. Rule Queen Babs !

by Anonymousreply 2512/06/2011

[quote]Neither James Brown nor Bruce Springsteen has had a number one pop hits, while Mariah Carey has 18.

Neither of them are pop artists (R&B and rock respectively). Mariah is. You might as well bemoan their lack of success on the country or dance charts.

A lot of this is silly blather anyway. Elvis and The Beatles didn't have iTunes in their heyday, the Grammys didn't start focusing on youthful music trends until well into the 70s, party music like Black Eyed Peas and Katy Perry will naturally have broader appeal than more serious acts, etc...when was the last time you heard Simon and Garfunkel played at a wedding?

And yes, music snobbery is REALLY grating.

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2011

"Popular" music when Hendrix was hot was...The Carpenters and Dionne Warwick. I'm sure they outsold Hendrix too, and at the time.

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2011

[quote]No one will ever sell more than Barbra

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 2812/06/2011

I don't think Patsy ever won a grammy.

by Anonymousreply 2912/06/2011

Yeah, but a lot of those artists on OP's post are STILL KNOWN

Will we give a rat's ass who Rianon, or Bieber or FloRida (who?) or Billy Ray Cyrus were or that they even had music?

It's all about the staying power.

These artists mentioned have been known for decades, and will continue to influence others. Those other marketing tools will be forgotten by the next decade.

by Anonymousreply 3012/06/2011

back when the Beatles were recording music, the nations population was around 150 million people and no internet.

Now we have doubled in population, have the internet and people can buy a record for 1.29 without leaving their house. You do the math.

by Anonymousreply 3112/06/2011

Kids today are still listening to Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. You won't hear Rhianna and Katy Perry in 40-plus years.

by Anonymousreply 3212/06/2011

Thats because Americans have been conditioned to love shit OP!

by Anonymousreply 3312/06/2011

I get some of these, but I don't understand the Babs bashing. Barbra is one of the most intelligent, musical popular singers this planet has ever known. If they want to pick on someone who didn't deserve their success, there are plenty of candidates. She is not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2011

Stairway to Heaven was never issued as a single during it's time. Although Whole Lotta LI've was & it reached #4!

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2011

[quote]Barbra Streisand has sold more records (140 million) than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty combined

I'm no Barbra fan but I agree with R34...why does this matter? Why is it "disappointing" that one particular non-rock artist outsold three random rock artists (all from different eras)? Is rock superior to all other genres of music? Are artists from other genres somehow automatically inferior? And I say this as someone who actually has those three artists on his iPod but no Streisand. She's not my cup of tea, either, but I recognize that she's an accomplished artist of great talent and worthy of support and praise.

These "facts" are extremely arbitrary and pointless, unless the point is for the author to randomly bash any kind of music he dislikes personally.

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2011

That original post reeks of "rockism" in its worst form. Do I think the pop music of today is particularly good or innovative? No. I am far more annoyed by the fact that the same 10 corporate acts are all you can see or hear on TV or the radio and there is very little diversity outside music blogs or fora. I could happily live in the world where Pearl jam never existed since they were shit the first time around and a lot of those names the OP tossed around as some epitome of good taste are vastly overrated.

by Anonymousreply 3712/06/2011

The population has grown by what 3 Billion since the Beatles and Elvis were big? There are just a lot more people out there to buy music these days. Any comparison of sales numbers from two eras forty or fifty years apart is utterly pointless and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2011

[quote]Is rock superior to all other genres of music? Are artists from other genres somehow automatically inferior?

According to music critics and rock fans, yes. They've been this way for decades. It's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3912/06/2011

I doubt the sales data for albums released in the 60s and 70s is very reliable anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4012/06/2011

Barbra's first record came out in 1963, 48 years ago. You can still purchase her first album. So it's not really a surprise that she's sold this many albums.

by Anonymousreply 4112/06/2011

Life moves on. I hate these stupid comparisons. Te never take into consideration any factors.

by Anonymousreply 4212/06/2011

OP needs to insert "American" in the title.

by Anonymousreply 4312/06/2011

I have quite a large collection of British pop newspapers from the 60s. Back then, no one thought the 'current' pop music was of much value. Some people used to grumble that all Motown sounded the same and that the only pop music of the time that would pass the test of time was The Beatles. In 1968, the 'cool' pop journalists of the era were grumbling about the crappy charts. A lot of the revered pop artists hated that pop music was dominated by the pop single.

They had no idea that their era pop would be so valued in the future.

As a teenager of the 70s, I remember that uncoolest thing you could say was that you were a fan of ABBA. Now, even 'relatively cool' people seem to think they were wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 4412/06/2011

Most pointless and pathetic list ever.

by Anonymousreply 4512/06/2011

Agree, hate these lists, they don't mean shit. Most people today buy what they're told to by the media or their friends. They don't have any musical taste because music isn't as important or good as it was when the baby boomers were making it.

by Anonymousreply 4612/06/2011

r25, Jason, the Beatles have sold far more than your mom, fabulous tho she is.

by Anonymousreply 4712/06/2011

Then I am guessing vintage music was over-rated.

by Anonymousreply 4812/06/2011

No Bullshit - What and Who Is Out For 2012!

1. Lady Gaga 2. Rihanna 3. Katy Perry 4. Ke$ha 5. LMFAO 6. Bruno Mars 7. Justin Bieber 8. Jason Derulo 9. Taio Cruz 10. Electropop and Dance Music

by Anonymousreply 4912/06/2011

Vintage music is lightyears ahead of the utter crap being produced today, are you an imbecile, r48?

by Anonymousreply 5012/06/2011

Only if you listen solely to Top 40, R50.

by Anonymousreply 5112/06/2011

I have to take r9 to task for saying Tom Petty, Johnny Cash & Eddie Vedder ('though I hate his pretentious singing) cannot carry a tune. Wrong! They are all more musically talented than Barbra Streisand, who has a lovely voice, but I don't think she's a good songwriter or musician.

by Anonymousreply 5212/06/2011

That's all they do here, R36. Also if they dislike a particular genre it means that the artists in that genre have no talent.

by Anonymousreply 5312/06/2011

People also spend more on albums than they did then

by Anonymousreply 5412/06/2011

Led Zeppelin never released singles.

They WERE album rock.

by Anonymousreply 5512/06/2011

In the 70's there was AM and FM radio.

AM was a pop music shithole.

"Billy Don't Be a Hero", "Muskrat Love" "Heartbeat is Lovebeat" etc.

FM was where all the cool music was at.

by Anonymousreply 5612/06/2011

The Honeybees NEVER charted.

by Anonymousreply 5712/06/2011

R17, have you bumped your head? What songs did Janet Jackson "rip off?" She literally gave birth to the Britneys, the Kelly Rowlands, the Ciaras, the Beyonces of the world today. Her "Control" is an iconic album, and one of the most landmark pop albums of the 80s. Not to mention "Rhythm Nation 1814" tieing and eclipsing records set by MJ's "Thriller", and both "Control" and "RN" garnering just as must critical praise as commercial. Check your facts before you spout such nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 5812/06/2011

1. Creed has sold more records in the US than Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix died at 27, so he wasn't a recording artist for a very long period of time, you .do the math!

2. Led Zeppelin, REM, and Depeche Mode have never had a number one single, Rihanna has 10

Led Zeppelin were never going for a singles buying market, very few of their best songs were ever released as singles.

Jimmy Page was an extremely savvy businessman, he was a session guitarist for many years before forming Zeppelin and he played lead guitar in The Yardbirds, he basically knew what kind of audience he wanted for Zep, it was not a single flavor-of-week type fan which he desired.

12. Justin Bieber exists.

Unadventurous young people will ALWAYS be purchasing crappy music which their peers enjoy, there no surprise here. People DO buy shitty music, look at the success of Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 5912/06/2011

[quote]12. Justin Bieber exists.

Some things never change.

by Anonymousreply 6012/06/2011

[quote]She literally gave birth to the Britneys, the Kelly Rowlands, the Ciaras, the Beyonces of the world today.

Oh, dear...

by Anonymousreply 6112/06/2011

People lauding the musical tastes of days yonder forget that some brilliant music was overlooked then as well, swamped by popular hits. Jim Ford's Harlan County was a classic album which has remained virtually unknown because it had the misfortune to be released around the same time as Sgt Peppers. Bobbie Gentry's Ode to Billie Joe was never even issued on CD until 2008. And to everyone bitching about music snobbery, it's the music snobs who bring attention to the non-pop acts making great music (and there are plenty of them). Just imagine what you'd be listening to if it was only the majors and the shills that were deciding what gets airplay. I've said it elsewhere: these are glorious times to be a music lover, as long as you avoid the popular music charts.

by Anonymousreply 6212/06/2011

Barbra never selects the right music.

by Anonymousreply 6312/06/2011

[quote]What songs did Janet Jackson "rip off?"

Just to name a few...

IF - Diana Ross & the Supremes' 1969 song "Someday We'll Be Together"

RHYTHM NATION - Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) by Sly & the Family Stone

ALL RIGHT - Think (About It) by Lyn Collins

WHAT'LL I DO - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones

THAT'S THE WAY LOVE GOES - Papa Don't Take No Mess by James Brown

YOU WANT THIS - Love Child by Diana Ross and The Supremes

RUNAWAY - Remember the Time by Michael Jackson

GO DEEP - I Can't Dance by Genesis

GOT TIL IT'S GONE - Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell

YOU - Cisco Kid by War

ALL FOR YOU - The Glow of Love by Change feat. Luther Vandross

SOMEONE TO CALL MY LOVER - Ventura Highway by America

SON OF A GUN - You're So Vain by Carly Simon

ALL NITE (DON'T STOP) - Hang Up Your Hang Ups by Herbie Hancock

CALL ON ME - Tell Me if You Still Care by The S.O.S. Band

SO EXCITED - Rockit by Herbie Hancock

[quote]Check your facts before you spout such nonsense.

Come again???

by Anonymousreply 6412/06/2011

Yeah, you're a genius, R63.

by Anonymousreply 6512/06/2011

This list sucks. It should compare my You Tube hits to the number of You Tube hits all those 70s and 80s groups had back in their day!!

by Anonymousreply 6612/07/2011

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 6712/07/2011

"The Babs one throws me for a loop, too. Mariah Carey or Janet "I made all my hits ripping off old songs" Jackson should have been there instead."

Mariah Carey has talent. A great voice and good songwriting skills.

And whatever sampling Janet did was very creative. Not all of her hits are samples of older songs.

You're just being bias because you don't like them.

by Anonymousreply 6812/07/2011

[quote]And whatever sampling Janet did was very creative.

When the majority of your catalogue is direct rip-offs, it is not being "creative," it's called being lazy and untalented.

By the way, that list was just a sampling. It is estimated that over half of her entire roster is comprised of "creative" samples.

by Anonymousreply 6912/07/2011

I'll never understand people who whine because their fav band/artist doesn't get the recognition they think they deserve - whether that's selling more or getting a Grammy or a RNRHOF nom or whatever. Who gives a fuck? As long as you like 'em who cares? No-ones going to tell me what's good to my ear - not the masses, not some music industry insider, not a critic, not MTV, not RS and def not some exec. These days access is not a problem so long as you have an internet connection. The aforementioned are becoming blessedly obsolete. The only relationship that matters is the one between artist and listener. Everyone else can fuck off (and that includes any artist who doesn't relish the current environment - as an artist you care about your craft. Period.).

by Anonymousreply 7012/07/2011

Boxcar Willie sold more albums than Elvis or the Beatles.

Same with Slim Whitman.

by Anonymousreply 7112/07/2011

The Beatles have sold over 1 Billion records worldwide R71. I doubt Box Car Willie sold that many. Maybe in Texas he outsold the Beatles.

Elvis is also an American only thing.

by Anonymousreply 7312/07/2011

Boxcar Willie, country music singer. Satanist, pedophile.

by Anonymousreply 7412/07/2011

In terms of sales, you have to take population into consideration.

From the mid 1990's to now, there are over 100 million more Americans. I'm not sure how many more there are from the 70's.

The Beatles, Elvis, et. al. might have sold x-million number of albums but it was probably a far higher percentage of the total population. (20% of Americans for example)

Now someone can sell 5 times that much and reach perhaps 5% of Americans.

by Anonymousreply 7512/07/2011

Stupid comparisons, stupid list.

by Anonymousreply 7612/07/2011

Revenge of the straight white music critic.

by Anonymousreply 7712/07/2011

OMG, R57! I love Ginger and Mrs.Howell (Lovey). When you said Honeybees, I thought you were referring to this group.

by Anonymousreply 7812/07/2011

Janet Jackson has no musical talent whatsoever! She didn't need her success at all, she owes it all to her songwriters & producers Jam/Lewis. She herself should quit and not even be discussed or considered a musical artist. She can barely put a song across with her wispy voice and never sang a note live in her entire career.

by Anonymousreply 7912/07/2011

apologies is this is a bit off-thread.....but regarding music today, does anyone think the music of today will stand the test of time? Does anyone think people will still be buying Justin Bieber or Bruno Mars in 50 years? Musicians of today, singers in particular and with very few exceptions (Gaga comes to mind), seem to be modestly talented at best, with small voices electronically enhanced to hell and back. Musical talent seems like an afterthought to many pop musicians of today.

by Anonymousreply 8012/07/2011

Justin Bieber = The DeFranco Family

by Anonymousreply 8112/07/2011

[quote]Elvis is also an American only thing.

That's so massively incorrect that you should be disqualified from the internets.

by Anonymousreply 8212/07/2011

Most of these "facts" are only true because of iTunes and ease of downloading singles. Once you compare album sales and not singles, most of these facts are absurd.

by Anonymousreply 8312/07/2011

Any 12 year old girl would say Justin Bieber is a musical genius and anyone who doesn't agree with them is old and stupid.

To save the music industry, cut off the money to the 12 year old girls. It is their parents who have really fueled the collapse of popular music.

by Anonymousreply 8412/07/2011

Until 1964, the big-selling albums were usually Broadway original cast albums, movie soundtracks and sound-effects records. Before then, music was driven first by sheet music sales, then juke boxes playlists, then radio rotation, and finally the 45 rpm single.

It wasn't until the Soundscan Era began on March 1, 1991, when music artists had somewhat reliable knowledge of how many singles and albums they were actually selling for royalty purposes. Before then, the record companies kept sales figures top secret, allowing only enough information to be released to allow a disc to be certified gold (1 mil. copies) or platinum (2 mil. copies.) Figures beyond that were no one else's business. So who really will ever know how many copies of "Hound Dog" or "Hey Jude" have been sold.

by Anonymousreply 8512/07/2011

Growing up from 1965 to 1975, my family didn't have a "Victorola" or record player, yet I can sing any charted song, all the way through, because I had my trusty transistor radio. I never had to buy a record, because you always knew that within the next 20 minutes, they would play your favorite song on your AM radio, which went everywhere with me. I didn't purchase my first single until I was 13.

by Anonymousreply 8612/07/2011

Today is the era of the digital single, which makes hardly any money for the label or the artist. Apple is raking in the money through ITunes.

Albums are where the real money is and hardly any artist today sells anywhere near what former superstars sold. They have to make their money on the road.

by Anonymousreply 8712/07/2011

To each their own. I never pay attention to sales unless in context to a specific issue. I buy what I like. For Gods sake sales does not equal artistic excellence.

What usually stands out is longevity, relevance over time if you must compare, rate and rank.

by Anonymousreply 8812/07/2011

Too bad Karen Carpenter is still dead.

by Anonymousreply 8912/07/2011

Dobie Gray gave meaning to the term "In crowd",his song will live in the history of american pop culture.american music has been blessed with many giants,who have made a special contribution,like bobby blue bland,who taught us all about a stormy monday or james brown,who rode the night train,through our hearts or little julian herrera,who started chicano doo wop,in southern cali or jackie wilson,who took us higher and higher.Yes sadly,we our losing giants,way before,we had a chance to tell them thank you.Thank you dobie

by Anonymousreply 9012/07/2011

Karen Carpenter is DEAD?!?! What did she die from?

by Anonymousreply 9112/07/2011

R64, it's called SAMPLING, shithead, and MANY artists have done it, are doing it and will do it. SUCH a hater.

by Anonymousreply 9212/07/2011

R68, TRUTH, indeed. These queens hating on Janet are too funny!

by Anonymousreply 9312/07/2011

Sampling -- once upon a time, they only stole your bike...

by Anonymousreply 9412/07/2011

R79, you're an idiot. And you shall now eat crow...

by Anonymousreply 9512/07/2011

R1 is still a cunt, I see.

by Anonymousreply 9612/07/2011

"When the majority of your catalogue is direct rip-offs, it is not being "creative," it's called being lazy and untalented.

By the way, that list was just a sampling. It is estimated that over half of her entire roster is comprised of "creative" samples." -R69

I don't know where you're getting your "estimations" from, but they couldn't be more wrong. Roughly 19 of Janet's 70-plus singles contain samples. That's way less than half. Seems to me the only lazy person is you. Next time, check your facts.

by Anonymousreply 9712/07/2011

Is R90 typing from her death bed.

BTW, Dobie Gray didn't write "The In Crowd," gramps.

by Anonymousreply 9812/07/2011

R17:

Please produce one -- just one -- unqualified, full endorsement of True from any reputable publication of the era.

That album was mostly shit and it was reviewed accordingly.

I will, however, concede the point as to Like a Prayer and Ray of Light.

by Anonymousreply 9912/07/2011

"plus, Bryan Ferry did it so much better than anyone"

Yeah, riiiight!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

by Anonymousreply 10012/07/2011

You put that extremely well, r36, better than I did. Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 10112/08/2011

[quote]Please produce one -- just one -- unqualified, full endorsement of True from any reputable publication of the era.

Rolling Stone gave the album 4 out of 5 stars.

Allmusic gave this review:

"True Blue is the album where Madonna truly became Madonna the Superstar -- the endlessly ambitious, fearlessly provocative entertainer that knew how to outrage, spark debates, get good reviews -- and make good music while she's at it. To complain that True Blue is calculated is to not get Madonna -- that's a large part of what she does, and she is exceptional at it, but she also makes fine music. What's brilliant about True Blue is that she does both here, using the music to hook in critics just as she's baiting a mass audience with such masterstrokes as "Papa Don't Preach," where she defiantly states she's keeping her baby. It's easy to position anti-abortionism as feminism, but what's tricky is to transcend your status as a dance-pop diva by consciously recalling classic girl-group pop ("True Blue," "Jimmy Jimmy") to snag the critics, while deepening the dance grooves ("Open Your Heart," "Where's the Party"), touching on Latin rhythms ("La Isla Bonita"), making a plea for world peace ("Love Makes the World Go Round"), and delivering a tremendous ballad that rewrites the rules of adult contemporary crossover ("Live to Tell"). It's even harder to have the entire album play as an organic, cohesive work. Certainly, there's some calculation behind the entire thing, but what matters is the end result, one of the great dance-pop albums, a record that demonstrates Madonna's true skills as a songwriter, record-maker, provocateur, and entertainer through its wide reach, accomplishment, and sheer sense of fun."

by Anonymousreply 10212/08/2011

Justin Beiber exists..... should be #1

by Anonymousreply 10302/12/2012

Typical hystera-mogering from the hystera-queens.

Where do I begin? For starters, the U.S. had about 100 million more people in 2010 than 1960.

by Anonymousreply 10402/12/2012

Of course, OP shows how ignorant Americans are. That's the AMERICAN music industry. The rest of the world is thriving. London is where all real artists go to create now. It's what New York used to be. Capitalism destroyed America.

by Anonymousreply 10502/12/2012

Actually you have a point R105. Europe has some good original songwriters today, coming from the UK, Germany and Norway.

by Anonymousreply 10602/13/2012

Capitalism created America, idiot R105.

It's wonderful the hinterlands have their own music.

When it reaches America it might mean something.

by Anonymousreply 10702/13/2012

You're a jingoistic idiot, R105. How come you're not at CPAC?

by Anonymousreply 10802/13/2012

I never realized until r60, but Bieber actually looks a little like Donny Osmond, doesn't he? If I block out Donny's helmet of hair and just focus on his face, I can see some Biebs.

by Anonymousreply 10902/13/2012

Actually r105, London is not really a music generator nowadays. Sweden, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, France, South Africa and even South Korea are producing edgy material nowadays. Check out the UK charts, Adele aside, there's *lots* of bland dance pop sung by blander reality show rejects.

by Anonymousreply 11002/13/2012

What socio-economic level was your family, r86? Was it common in the early '70s not to have a record player? I kind of thought everyone had one. Did you have a TV?

by Anonymousreply 11102/13/2012

South Korea? The crap coming out of there makes Taylor Swift look like a living Mozart.

by Anonymousreply 11202/13/2012

I meet a lot of 20-somethings that like the music of the 70s and 80s.

by Anonymousreply 11302/13/2012

I'd have to say it has a lot to do with social media and other media outlets like facebook and itunes. The younger generation just has easier and quicker access to the music and artists. I didn't get a cellphone till i was 15 and I really didn't get into music till about 13 but i see 8 year olds running around with ipods and cellphones all the time. Before this you had to ask your parents if you could have the money to go buy a CD or record then they would have to drive you in there own time. And of course there's just a lot more people out there.

by Anonymousreply 11409/30/2012

"9. Barbra Streisand has sold more records (140 million) than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty combined."

That's because she has 140 million times the talent.

by Anonymousreply 11509/30/2012

R133, and the 40's and the 50's!

by Anonymousreply 11609/30/2012

[quote]2. Led Zeppelin, REM, and Depeche Mode have never had a number one single, Rihanna has 10

Led Zeppelin never released singles, and still became the biggest band in the world.

AOR (Album Oriented Radio) was built around them.

by Anonymousreply 11709/30/2012

R105 is the type of person who compiled the list.

by Anonymousreply 11809/30/2012

The Rolling Stone original reviews for Led Zeppelin albums were hardly complimentary.

by Anonymousreply 11909/30/2012

These "disappointing" facts are kind of spurious in nature as OP assumes nothing but false equivalencies between these objects and that's setting aside his use of his own taste as a superior barometer of quality that should translate directly to sales.

Here's an idea: how about you realise that consumption of popular culture is not a competition nor is it a strong identifier of who you are. Taste evolves. Listen to what you enjoy and stop trying to rob other people of their listening enjoyment, however they may come to it.

by Anonymousreply 12009/30/2012

Some of these "facts" are just a tad misleading

1.Jimi didn't have the benefit of a HUGE album market like Creed did. When Creed hit it big in the late 90s album sales were through the roof because of the industry phasing out physical singles to get people to spend more $$$$ on albums.

2.Led Zeppelin was an album-oriented band. Rihanna is a singles artist. Not sure how you can compare the two. Zeppelin hardly even released any singles. REM and Depeche Mode were not really "mainstream" bands although they had a few big pop hits.

3.Singles are bigger than ever now that you can download them off your computer for a buck. Comparing single sales from different eras isn't necessarily a good way to gauge popularity.

4.See #3

5.See #3 and #4. I Gotta Feeling may have sold more because of itunes but that doesn't mean it is "more popular" than anything from Simon and Garfunkle or Elvis.

6.Pay attention to what I said about #1. Celine benefitted from a HUGE album market in a way that Queen, Bruce, and Nirvana did not. They peaked in popularity before album sales went through the roof.

7.See #6.

8.So? Michael Jackson sucked. Good riddance. Plus, Katy had itunes on her side and Michael did not.

9.I'm not a Barbra fan, but I'm not sure why you are shocked that someone who has been popular for 50+ years has sold a lot of albums. Worldwide sales are based on estimates anyway so making comparisons based on worldwide sales is dubious at best.

10.But Marley has remained a HUGE catalog seller (he has sold more albums after his death than he did while he was alive) while Billy Ray hasn't at all. And where did you get the 20 million figure for Some Gave All? I really don't think it sold that much.

11.Glee releases tons of singles every week thanks to itunes. Itunes allows people to have dozens of "singles" on the chart at once. This gives them an advantage over other artists who release singles one at a time.

by Anonymousreply 12109/30/2012

"Of course, OP shows how ignorant Americans are. That's the AMERICAN music industry. The rest of the world is thriving. London is where all real artists go to create now"

ROFLMAO. The anti-America snobbism here is hilarious, considering that American music is huge overseas. You think no one outside the US listens to Rihanna or Katy Perry? Think again. They've had hits all over the world. A lot of the stuff that rules the British charts is awful. This is the country that gave us Leona Lewis and other awful "artists"

by Anonymousreply 12209/30/2012

Worse is that anybody can sing, and be famous using auto-tune. Gone are the days of real singers, and these no talents get paid a huge sum of money.

by Anonymousreply 12309/30/2012

The thing is Barbara has the talent to back it up, while Rhianna, Beiber, and Manaj have no talent, but the presentation...that only goes so far.

by Anonymousreply 12409/30/2012

Beyonce has won 16 Grammy awards.

Led Zeppelin has won 1 Grammy award.

Nothing better defines the collapse of American music today, than this statistic.

by Anonymousreply 12609/30/2012

R6, You're from the Kingsland area? I never expected to read that on DL.

by Anonymousreply 12709/30/2012

The vast majority of that plaid on the air is hideous. It is all aimed at the tween and young adult market.

If you look at census data the biggest group out there is the 25 to 44 year old group followed closely by the 45-64 group.

So why are we aiming all our entertainment at kids?

by Anonymousreply 12809/30/2012

I listen to perry como

by Anonymousreply 12909/30/2012

[quote]I love the queens who can't get over someone knocking Streisand. Cracks me up.

Excuse me?! What talent do you have, other than jerking off? BABS CAN SING, or haven't you heard?

by Anonymousreply 13009/30/2012

Xanax time R130. You may not know this, but I wasn't the author of the list in question. I never said Babs couldn't sing. I have nothing against Streisand. It's her militant gay fans that amuse me. It's the ancient gay version of one million moms.

by Anonymousreply 13109/30/2012

Speaking of Queens. Here's one that makes me smile every time I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 13210/01/2012

Elvis hasn't had a hit since 1977!

wassup with that?

by Anonymousreply 13410/01/2012

I don't mind Streisand's sales figures--at least she can sing.

But Kunt$ha is as talentless as they come.

by Anonymousreply 13510/01/2012

I agree with R8. Whoever came up with that list obviously has a certain taste in music, and cites musicians whose careers are long dead (or who are long dead themselves), and who had careers before the digital age of music. People like what they like. Who the fuck cares if Led Zeppelin didn't sell more than Rihanna - if you like them, good for you. Listen to them and STFU about it.

by Anonymousreply 13610/01/2012

Excuse me but what the fuck is so bad about My Barbra selling records???!!!

by Anonymousreply 13710/01/2012

bad

by Anonymousreply 13810/01/2012

Now I can see why nobody bothers to write decent songs anymore. The Music industry is all about the fluff now, not the songs.

by Anonymousreply 13910/01/2012

Oops. Let's do that again. The link at R132 was for the Dr Who thread. Sorry.

[quote] Speaking of Queens. Here's one that makes me smile every time I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 14010/01/2012

Every time I see Flo Rida's name, I think of Esther Rolle.

by Anonymousreply 14110/01/2012

Actually, it's two of her #1s, but still.

by Anonymousreply 14310/01/2012

People don't even have to play a musical instrument anymore. EDM Star Skrillex won 3 Grammys by cutting and pasting sound bites from Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 14412/18/2012

Ever since teenagers started stealing music not buying it, nobody bothers to put much effort into music creation anymore. It is all about selling concert tickets now.

by Anonymousreply 14501/04/2013

There are many more millions of people in this country than there were in the 1960s so I'm not surprised that current music performers are outselling acts like The Beatles. Let's face it, the Beatles haven't released a single in many, many years. Simon and Garfunkel and led Zep haven't released an album that wasn't a greatest hits collection in 30 or 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 14601/04/2013

The music industry today is for the teenage girls only.

Others need not apply.

by Anonymousreply 14701/05/2013

[quote]Barbra Streisand has sold more records (140 million) than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty combined

And Barbra is infinitely better than those three times three combined.

by Anonymousreply 14801/05/2013

I think it's interesting that The Beatles #1s was the best selling album of the 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 14901/09/2013

"the Beatles haven't released a single in many, many years"

1/2 of them are dead. Being dead, makes it very difficult to release new singles.

by Anonymousreply 15001/10/2013

Downloads do not, will never equate to singles sold.

Ever.

by Anonymousreply 15101/10/2013

"may not be as iconic, but it was a much more enjoyable song to listen to. Hey Jude, with its interminable repetition, should be used if waterboarding isn't strong enough."

God, you are such an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 15201/10/2013

Why are they picking on Barbra? She has more talent than anybody on that list combined. Fucking tasteless heterosexual philistines.

by Anonymousreply 15301/10/2013

Why would Led Zeppelin, REM and Depeche Mode have top ten hits? LZ was a hard rock band from the 70's/80's and REM and DM were alternative/new wave--they aren't top 40s pop.

by Anonymousreply 15401/10/2013

Fucker probably listens to Patti Smith.

by Anonymousreply 15501/10/2013

People in this country have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 15601/10/2013

Country Music industry is exclusively all white, christian, heterosexual and American yet financially survives.

by Anonymousreply 15704/11/2013

I love that the Beatles had the best selling album last decade. It shows how shit the music is now.

by Anonymousreply 15804/11/2013

It's not a big deal that more contemporary artists don't have as many #1 singles, as the music industry started phasing them out around 1968-69.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Led Zeppelin, Madonna, Janet Jackson, and REM -- not to mention individual Beatles -- all had number #1 [italic]albums[/italic], and that's what really mattered when each recording was popular.

by Anonymousreply 15904/11/2013

STOP BUMPING DEAD THREADS

by Anonymousreply 16004/11/2013

How about annoying trends, such as former Disney actors and actresses inflicting themselves on the public as 'singers': Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez etc.

The only person in this group who can actually singer is JT, but his style is extremely derivative, the rest are not singers.

I don't know in what universe someone like Britney Spears would be considered a singer, it's a freaking insult to actual singers everywhere! I guess if you can whisper/talk over a computer generated beat, then have your 'voice' auto-tuned and multi-layered over the backing track, that's considered singing.

I feel so bad for the music buying public who feel they must buy into the hype.

by Anonymousreply 16104/11/2013

[quote]The only person in this group who can actually singer is JT, but his style is extremely derivative, the rest are not singers.

HEAR, HEAR! they are pop phenomenons - nothing more

by Anonymousreply 16204/11/2013

Is Taylor Swift the new Shania Twain?

by Anonymousreply 16305/15/2014

or perhaps Carrie Underwood

by Anonymousreply 16405/15/2014

can anyone explain how Rihanna got a record deal?

by Anonymousreply 16505/15/2014

Most of the current vocalists use that awful auto tune, it ruins the music.

by Anonymousreply 16605/15/2014

Cultural quality hit the fan long before Anna put a hooker and a dumb rapper on the cover of Vogue.

by Anonymousreply 16705/15/2014

Adele is one of the few singers today who don't need auto tune!

by Anonymousreply 16805/15/2014

13. Madonna exists

by Anonymousreply 16905/15/2014

[quote]STOP BUMPING DEAD THREADS

You don't own me!

by Anonymousreply 17005/15/2014

There's a lot of lingering "rock vs. Disco"'esque homophobia to the list. Barbra Streisand is a great talent no matter what your tastes are. Why is she compared unfavorably to Pearl Jam, an ensemble with less than half her longevity? And I say this as a Pearl Jam fan.

by Anonymousreply 17105/15/2014

I heard Rihanna was being considered to play the young Whitney Houston!

by Anonymousreply 17205/16/2014
Need more help? Click Here.