Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Henry Fonda-was he embarrassed by those dirty little hippy commie kids of his?

So patrician. So proper.

by Anonymousreply 6203/03/2013

I think he was. He was always a very distant father. Just finished new bio of Jane and she was begging for his love; probably influenced all of her relationships with men.

by Anonymousreply 112/04/2011

Wouldn't you be? Gave them everything and they turned into real assholes.

by Anonymousreply 212/04/2011

Patrician? He struck me as a solid midwesterner, progressive, on the reserved side, though not haughty.

by Anonymousreply 312/04/2011

Jane's mother also committed suicide, which definitely altered her relationship with her father.

by Anonymousreply 412/04/2011

Jane's mother slit her own throat. Egads.

by Anonymousreply 512/04/2011

Jane picking up his Oscar.

Poor Jane she seems like she's saying so do you love me now?

Did Sissy forget to read what movies the people were nominated for? She's cute though.

by Anonymousreply 612/04/2011

Did he (or someone else) diddle Jane back when she was a youngster?

by Anonymousreply 712/05/2011

Fonda was a distant father -- AND a raging Liberal.

by Anonymousreply 812/05/2011

And, apparently, a raging homophobe (read about his abusive behavior toward Charles Laughton sometime).

by Anonymousreply 912/05/2011

Probably not- he was quite liberal. That does not mean he was a warm and fuzzy man. I gather he was just the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 1012/05/2011

For all his talent and liberal leanings, he was most definitely NOT a "nice" man at all. Pretty much everything I've read about him states that he was a very distant husband and father, to the point of being cold.

There's a story that when Jane's mother committed suicide, he still went on stage in MR. ROBERTS that very evening. He had told someone involved in the show that he could be a real SOB, and when he went on that evening, that was proof.

So many actors/actresses are just not cut out to be parents.

by Anonymousreply 1112/05/2011

Jane is fabulous. If I had been her father, I would have been very proud indeed.

by Anonymousreply 1212/05/2011

Kate Hepburn said about him: "Cold, cold, cold."

No wonder Jane Fonda needs a man to validate her. Her own father never paid any attention to her.

I think she did great considering she grew up on her own.

by Anonymousreply 1312/05/2011

Hepburn knew from dysfunctional families; her own brother hung himself in their home's attic when they were young.

by Anonymousreply 1512/05/2011

Won't be long before the furious Jane Fonda troll will be on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1612/05/2011

Katherine Hepburn never worked with Henry Fonda until On Golden Pond, which was near the end of his life. He and Jane patched things up during the filming. What the fuck does Kate know?

by Anonymousreply 1712/05/2011

I would think Hepburn knew Fonda during her time as a Hollywood star in the '30s and '40s.

by Anonymousreply 1812/05/2011

Meryl Streep psycho alert @ R16!

by Anonymousreply 1912/05/2011

"Katherine Hepburn never worked with Henry Fonda until On Golden Pond, which was near the end of his life. He and Jane patched things up during the filming. What the fuck does Kate know?"

That doesn't mean he wasn't still "cold, cold, cold" as an acting colleague to her.

by Anonymousreply 2112/05/2011

He was a cold, distant man...hence the wife's suicide. He lied to the kids about how their mother dies; Jane found out years later from classmates. He was, by all accounts, a really cold person who was incapable of displaying affection.

by Anonymousreply 2212/05/2011

[quote]I would think Hepburn knew Fonda during her time as a Hollywood star in the '30s and '40s.

Yep. Your statement ^ has my retroyoungergay seal of approval :)

Jane Fonda's autobiography reads as though Henry Fonda was a really cold and cruel man. He would sometimes just never so much as speak to either Peter or Jane for days on end. This is when they were children, btw.

I get a kick out of Jane Fonda. She is a brave lady and put out some very fine work. I have only met her one time and she was very nice and decent.

by Anonymousreply 2312/05/2011

Has there ever been a major biography of Fonda? There was one recently released about another fucked up actor that everyone loved, Spencer Tracy, but I can't find one on Fonda.

by Anonymousreply 2412/05/2011

From an online bio...

"Many of the actors and actresses with whom Laughton worked knew of his homosexuality, and it was rarely an issue on set or stage. But Laughton felt that his homosexuality rendered him vulnerable to attack by others. In Mutiny on the Bounty (1935), Clark Gable's homophobia created so much tension on the set that producer Irving Thalberg had to intervene.

Although Laughton trembled at a possible public scandal, he always brought lovers onto the sets of films to help him relax. Laughton's worst fear materialized while directing Henry Fonda in the play The Caine Mutiny Court Martial (1954). Fonda, angry at the play's development and execution, lashed out at Laughton by sneering. "What do you know about men, you fat faggot?""

by Anonymousreply 2512/05/2011

Politically he was not embarrassed, but I cannot hel but thinking, know more now than I did then, that perhaps Henry had some unresolved sexualk conflict issues. Maybe his coldness and remotenss and unavailability was because he was deeply closeted. It would also explain his contempt for Charles Laughton who was a very loveable sweet man.

by Anonymousreply 2612/05/2011

R24, just checked Amazon and amazingly there isn't. Wonder if Jane and Peter have been blocking anybody who tries to write one.

by Anonymousreply 2712/05/2011

Well there WERE all those rumors about Fonda and Stewart when they were roommates early on.

by Anonymousreply 2812/05/2011

Jane's most under appreciated film was The Morning After. That was some good shit.

by Anonymousreply 2912/05/2011

[quote]just checked Amazon and amazingly there isn't. Wonder if Jane and Peter have been blocking anybody who tries to write one.

Here's a few but nothing very recent.

by Anonymousreply 3012/05/2011

I think Fonda's last wife, Shirlee, helped to mellow him and to mend his relationships with his kids. By the time he and Jane made On Golden Pond, they got along okay -- maybe better than that. As cold as he evidently was, he had some close, longterm friendships, with Josh Logan, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, John Ford (interrupted during the making of Mr. Roberts, which Ford wouldn't direct unless Jack Warner hired Fonda to recreate his stage performance but then drank his way through until he got fired), Lucille Ball, Barbara Stanwyck, Bette Davis (who as a teenager dated him and as a rising star got him jobs), and Margaret Sullavan (who cuckolded him with the physically unprepossessing William Wyler, who seemed to be catnip to the ladies). He was one of the few American movie stars to have an equally distinguished stage career (Fredric March also comes to mind). He gave some of the most memorable performances ever on screen, in Young Mr. Lincoln, The Grapes of Wrath, The Lady Eve, The Ox-Bow Incident, My Darling Clementine, and Fail Safe -- so much passion breaking through the calm surface, like ice cracking. As an actress, Jane isn't far behind. No excuse, though, for his homophobia.

Not every star was a homophobe. There's a famous story about Bette Davis, which also explains why she didn't get invited to many parties. At one of them, a group of movie actors, including the host, were making fun of Charles Laughton -- the way he looked and his crushes on young, handsome actors. According to Geraldine Fitzgerald, who was also at the party, Davis heard them out of one ear, wheeled around, and said, "Mr. Laughton is a great artist. No matter what he looks like, he can play any role he chooses with great distinction. Whom he sleeps with should concern no one but him -- and possibly his wife. He has talent and sensitivity, which you do not. You should be ashamed for what you said, and the rest for you should be ashamed for letting him say it without reproach. You can all go to hell. Good night."

by Anonymousreply 3112/05/2011

[quote]Jane's most under appreciated film was The Morning After. That was some good shit.

Or "Cat Ballou." (She's very good in it.)

by Anonymousreply 3212/05/2011

Look at that big 80s hair. It really was as horrible as I remember it. I wonder what Burt Lancaster was nominated for? I don't remember.

by Anonymousreply 3312/05/2011

My grandmother took me to see [italic]Cat Ballou[/italic] when I was a kid. I loved it. I still watch it every once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 3412/05/2011

To be fair, those kids really did specialize in busting his balls.

by Anonymousreply 3512/05/2011

[quote]Look at that big 80s hair. It really was as horrible as I remember it. I wonder what Burt Lancaster was nominated for? I don't remember.

Lancaster was nominated for Atlantic City. Had Fonda not been a factor, he would have easily won. He was truly marvelous in it.

by Anonymousreply 3612/05/2011

He beleved Christina Crawford made up most of what she said in "Mommie Dearest" He worked with and was also friends with Joan.

by Anonymousreply 3712/05/2011

Jane has said that Henry was madly in love with Lucille Ball and wanted to marry her.

by Anonymousreply 3812/05/2011

Fonda was mortified and incensed by Hanoi Jane's sitting atop the North Vietnamese machine gun and giggling like a schoolgirl. They may have become somewhat closer toward the end of his life but he never forgave her for that indiscretion.

by Anonymousreply 3912/05/2011

[quote] I wonder what Burt Lancaster was nominated for?

"Atlantic City" as was Susan Sarandon (her first nomination).

by Anonymousreply 4012/05/2011

R31

That was a great Bette Davis story! Good for Bette!

by Anonymousreply 4112/05/2011

No, r15, according to a bio of Kate, Hepburn's brother hung himself at a family friend's house in NYC. They had gone to the theater that night. Kate was sent up to his room to fetch him for breakfast and found him hanging there. He was only 14/15 at the time, I don't think they ever figured out why he did it. But, he was described at being very sensitive and quiet, so it's anybody's guess.

In Brooke Hayward's book about her parents "Haywire", she talks about her and Jane accidently finding out about the suicide of Jane's mother in some scrapbooks that were kept hidden by Brooke's Mother. That is where they also discovered that Henry and Margaret Sullavan had been married for a short time.

by Anonymousreply 4212/05/2011

Jane's son's career kind of faded. I thought he was going to be big.

by Anonymousreply 4312/05/2011

R43 He works all the time but seems to be focusing more on being a character actor. He basically is a character actor anyway what with that unique speaking voice coupled with being tall and dark.

by Anonymousreply 4412/05/2011

He should have been more embarrassed by his children's gross lack of talent.

by Anonymousreply 4512/05/2011

[quote]Jane has said that Henry was madly in love with Lucille Ball and wanted to marry her.

Supposedly he said the same thing about Barbara Stanwyck. That would have been a marriage from hell - she was hardly mother of the year herself, and was just as cold and distant as he was.

by Anonymousreply 4612/05/2011

Henry and Lucy had undeniable middle-aged chemistry in YOURS, MINE AND OURS. I always wished she had married him after Desi instead of that mooching loser, Gary Morton.

by Anonymousreply 4712/05/2011

What was wrong with Gary? I thought Lucy loved him?

by Anonymousreply 4812/05/2011

When Joan Crawford and Henry did 'Daisy Kenyon' together in the late 1940s Joan wanted to get in his pants something fierce, like she did with most of her male co-stars. One day on the set, Joan gave Henry a present - a bedazzled jockstrap (I shit you not) and Henry, ever the gentleman, politely accepted it. Later, there was a scene that required Henry to carry Joan up a flight of stairs. Joan whispered into his ear that she would love for Henry to model the jockstrap for her later on in her dressing room. He got so flustered he almost dropped Joan and sent her tumbling down the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 4912/05/2011

Came across Jane's Coming Home acceptance speech and how weird it is it to hear Jane Fonda say "my pal, Jon Voight" given how looney tunes right wing Voight has gone.

Also, just gonna throw out Henry Fonda's performance in "The Best Man" as another all-time great. It's a shame that the inferior "The Manchurian Candidate" is the political movie from that time period that actually gets remembered.

by Anonymousreply 5012/05/2011

Gee Voight was striking looking. I see where Angelina got her looks.

by Anonymousreply 5112/05/2011

'Fort Apache' is one of my favourite Fonda Snr. performances. I think the role of an upright martinet was one he understood well.

by Anonymousreply 5212/06/2011

R18 and R23: Hepburn and Henry Fonda never met before they started On Golden Pond. Neither was a partygoer. They traveled in different circles and worked at different studios. Still, they both spent a lot of time acting on Broadway and living in Connecticut, so one might have reasonably guessed that they had bumped into each other.

by Anonymousreply 5312/06/2011

"Fonda, angry at the play's development and execution, lashed out at Laughton by sneering. 'What do you know about men, you fat faggot?'"

Ummm. I should think a gay man would know quite a bit about men. Being a man and all. Fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 5412/06/2011

Jane, showing off her new body post plastic surgery. Although she certainly looks great for any age she still seems to have serious body image issues:

"'I was raised in the ’50s,' she explains. 'I was taught by my father that how I looked was all that mattered, frankly. Unless you look perfect, you’re not going to be loved.'

"'I feel so great and so rested and I look so different and I just decided — and I’m not proud of it — I decided I wanted to look more like how I feel.'

by Anonymousreply 5512/06/2011

About Jon Voight: I can't be the only one who remembers this little drama with Jon.

It was a TV show like Entertainment Tonight or Current Affair and he was standing in back of a sitting Elizabeth Taylor and another actress who might have been Shirley Maclaine who were both blindfolded and mute. He did all the talking and the gist of what he said was that something was going to happen in the next few days that would change history or the world or something. He didn't say anything specific and both ladies just sat there with blindfolds on. I don't remember anything else resulting from it. I never saw that trio on that show again and it was like it never happened.

Does anyone remember this too? If so, was there some big reveal that I missed all those years ago? Was that the first clue that there was something mentally wrong with Voight?

by Anonymousreply 5612/06/2011

Of course you can see every year of her 73 in her exposed hand in that final photo in the link!

by Anonymousreply 5712/06/2011

R56 never drop acid and watch television.

I am just joking. I do not remember that at all, actually. Maybe someone uploaded it on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 5812/06/2011

Young Jane Fonda with her father...

by Anonymousreply 5903/03/2013

R59, the body language in that photo says it all.

by Anonymousreply 6003/03/2013

Henry Fonda's parenting skills were pretty much in line with many, if not most, men of his generation. He was a product of his time.

by Anonymousreply 6103/03/2013

I'm not surprised that Jane Fonda was such a mess; Henry really did a number on her.

by Anonymousreply 6203/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.