Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rita Hayworth

Tragic princess.

by Anonymousreply 20310/16/2014

The most beautiful woman ever! Just stunning to look at.

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2011

Always loved Rita Hayworth. Never get tired of looking at her pictures. (BTW Didn't her father sexually abuse her when she was a child or is that just a rumor?)

I think she once said about her failed marriage to Orson Welles: "He thought he was marrying 'Rita Hayworth,' but when he woke up in the morning it was me."

by Anonymousreply 312/02/2011

[quote]I think she once said about her failed marriage to Orson Welles: "He thought he was marrying 'Rita Hayworth,' but when he woke up in the morning it was me."

The actual quote:

""Men fell in love with Gilda, but they wake up with me."

by Anonymousreply 412/02/2011

I like R3's quote better!

by Anonymousreply 512/02/2011

Orson Welles on Rita Hayworth: "Her whole life was suffering"

by Anonymousreply 612/02/2011

Rita Hayworth was a pretty, not very smart, girl born in the business. She was an adequate dancer who had a penchant for marrying men who were bad for her not unlike Lana Turner.

by Anonymousreply 712/02/2011

She was one of the most beautiful women of 1940s-50s Hollywood. And she was a great dancer--just look at the clips in the original post. She wasn't a great actress but certainly better than Lana Turner, for example. And her illness and death brought Alzheimer's disease to the national consciousness.

by Anonymousreply 812/02/2011

Gilda....One of the best movie ever!

by Anonymousreply 912/02/2011

"BTW Didn't her father sexually abuse her when she was a child or is that just a rumor?"

There was a biography published some years ago, that was quite frank about the incest. Her parents had had a Spanish dance act when they were young; when she was about 12 her father had her replace her mother in the act, and took her on tour while the mother stayed home. The father was a controling asshole, and according to the book treated little Rita like a new wife, including sex. She married her first husband to get away from him.

It's all in print, for what that's worth.

by Anonymousreply 1012/03/2011

Rita was an excellent dancer.

by Anonymousreply 1111/21/2012

Rita deserves more attention in the DL. FUCKERS.

by Anonymousreply 1211/23/2012

Love Rita Hayworth. Excellent dancer, pretty good actress, amazing screen presence. And unlike some of the Hollywood stars, never delivered a performance that could be viewed as bad camp, like Lana or Joan. And even though her singing voice was dubbed, she really performed while doing the lipsynch. Like this clip in Miss Sadie Thompson (1953)...very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 1311/23/2012

Thank you R13. Best part was Rita punching the pillow.

by Anonymousreply 1411/23/2012

Dance of Seen Veils

by Anonymousreply 1511/23/2012

Have Good Face

by Anonymousreply 1611/23/2012

Put the Blame on the Mame.

by Anonymousreply 1711/23/2012

Sadly, her grandson wound up killing himself.

by Anonymousreply 1911/23/2012

Dancing with Gene Kelly in Cover Girl.

by Anonymousreply 2011/23/2012

There is something so fresh about her, she might not be the most gorgeous actress but she's irresistible. Though it seems she was more a straight guy fantasy (wasn't her photo on one of the bombs at Hiroshima or Nagasaki?) than a gay icon (the aforementioned lack of camp performances, as well as really earth shatteringly excellent acting jobs probably explain this), still her Gilda is iconic.

by Anonymousreply 2111/24/2012

A goddess, she was an absolute goddess and not a cunt. At least I can't think of a "Rita Hayworth was such a cunt" story that I've ever heard.

I did hear that some big shot "kept" her in an apartment, pimping her out to his friends and business associates. Howard Hughes maybe?

by Anonymousreply 2211/24/2012

Did the hairline electrolysis trigger her later alzheimer's disease?

by Anonymousreply 2311/24/2012

She is considered to be one of thee most beautiful women in history along with Elizabeth Taylor and Ava Gardner.

Fred Astaire said she was thee best dancer that he ever worked with. He said she was extremely professional and just a dream of a person.

Here is the thing that leaves a big question mark in my mind about the story of her father molesting her. Rita and her father danced in a Spanish dance with the Spanish attire. Rita's daughter said her mother placed her castanets that she used in her dance routine with her father by her bedside every night because they were extremely dear to her.So, if Rita's father molested her, why would she keep some remnant by her bedside of the days when her father was molesting her? Something doesn't add up?

BTW, Her father was Spanish and her mother was Irish American. When reporters said to her, so you are Mexican? She snapped at them and said, I'm Spanish NOT Mexican. She was annoyed because people would lump Spain which is the Mediterranean with Mexico and South America.

Also, Rita was the happiest when she wore a tee shirt and jeans. She was not into the glamor very much and she was very down to earth.

by Anonymousreply 2411/24/2012

As most fans of Rita know , of all her films she likes 'You Were Never Lovelier' the most. It is Rita's favourite film of her own. Personally, i loved seeing Rita in dramatic roles because i think she had a flair for drama. I appreciate her a lot in the films ' Separate Tables', ' The Lady from Shanghai','Miss Sadie Thompson', 'Fire Down Below', 'They Came to Cordura', 'Affair in Trinidad'.

I found it very sad and strange that her grandson commited suicide because his mother Yasmin Khan was very affectionate and caring with Rita. I bet she was the same with her child, what made him do that? I mean ok, even pampered children may have big emotional problems, but they don't commit suicide when they have all the attention and love from their parents. Maybe his father was a jerk and poisoned his heart, who knows...

by Anonymousreply 2511/24/2012

*she liked

by Anonymousreply 2611/24/2012

I read that Rita Hayworth once confessed that she got the best head ever—not from a man— but from Marlene Dietrich. When Marlene wanted Rita to return the favor, Rita told her, “Mañana.” Tomorrow never came. Do you think that is true? Any thoughts? Lol.

by Anonymousreply 2711/24/2012

Rita, Orson and Marlene. God, Marlene could be so provocative! Lol.

by Anonymousreply 2811/24/2012

Some of the clothes back then seem like what women wear today. In R28's link, that is a good example. I think Rita's hair and pant suit looks like you might see a woman wear today. Also, Marlene's outfit and Orson's uncombed hair you would find on guys now a days. James Dean of course is the ultimate guy that looks like he would fit in with today's look. He didn't conform with society with his whole appearance. I think Orson was very much like that too because Orson was more intellectually focused. The both had that uncombed hair look which made those two and some others back then look sexy.

by Anonymousreply 2911/24/2012

R29, yes Orson was actually charming when he was young. However, he should be more of the man he was and stand by Rita. Unfortunately, he was too selfish and a womanizer. Great director though...and Rita stated that the first years she was married to Orson were the most happy of her life

by Anonymousreply 3011/24/2012

Oh! I forgot to mention this! I'm sure most people know this on this thread already, but someone told me Orson built a fantastic home fro Rita in Big Sur and its now a restaurant. I was told the restaurant and the view is fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 3111/24/2012

I didn't know that. Well Rita deserved it anyway. :)

by Anonymousreply 3211/24/2012

According to you guys, which was the best Rita Hayworth musical?

by Anonymousreply 3311/24/2012

R33, I think it's a tie between You Were Never Lovelier and Cover Girl. Neither have great stories, but they're fun, especially Lovelier. But great songs, some beautiful dance numbers and Rita looked amazing. Astaire was Rita's partner in Lovelier, and Kelly was Rita's partner in Cover Girl. Cover Girl also has Eve Arden doing her thing. Both are fine escapist Hollywood musicals of the 40s.

by Anonymousreply 3411/24/2012

I think Rita was at her sweetest in 'Cover Girl'. During the middle of shooting Rita eloped with Orson Welles. Coincidentally the film's wedding scene was shot that day.

by Anonymousreply 3511/24/2012

Rita with her daughter Yasmin Khan

by Anonymousreply 3611/24/2012

R22, Hayworth was never "kept" by Howard Hughes. Her first husband, Edward Judson, was a shady older man from Texas she married when she was 18 and still unknown. He married her because he saw potential to turn her into a star. He did try to pimp her out to Harry Cohn, but she refused to sleep with Cohn.

And Hayworth never had a feud with anyone on the set. The closest thing she had to a feud was with Janet Blair on Tonight and Every Night, and Blair was the one being the cunt. According to choreographer Jack Cole, Hayworth and Blair had a musical number in which they performed in long men's underwear and Blair decided she was going to upstage Hayworth. She failed miserably, but she did annoy Hayworth and Cole had to call cut after one take because he was afraid Hayworth was going to give Blair a well deserved slap for her antics.

by Anonymousreply 3711/24/2012

This is probably the most over the top production number Rita was involved with...the title number in Cover Girl. A big production number involving top magazine models of the day and Rita running down a long ramp to dance with a bunch of gay chorus boys. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 3811/24/2012

In Frank Langella's book, he has a chapter where he talks about playing her son in a film with Robert Mitchum. They were making fun of her because she couldn't remember her lines (early Alzheimers).

"When dinner is over we walk through the chilly dirty streets and she gathers her black-fringed shawl close around her shoulders, slips her arm into mine, and forgets my name. "Oh yeah, yeah, Frank," she says. "You'll be Frankie. I love Frankie. Not Sinatra. The guy was never on time." We pass an open-air market and she insists we buy fruit and cheese to keep in our rooms. "Just to have, you know, for the ghosts."

As he walked her to her door, she said, "Do me a favor, baby; don't ever call me Mother."

Shards of her ramblings stay with me, Langella says. On her husbands:

"He found me when I was a kid. Brought me to L.A. What the hell did I know? I went along."

Of another she says, "Oh he beat me so bad. Then he skipped. I had to sign with Cohn for another seven to pay off the debts."

On Orson Welles: "He tried to help me to be a great actress, but he always needed money."

And Prince Aly Khan: " I didn't want to live nowhere where they kiss the hem of your skirt. I mean, what is that, for Chrissakes? Two guys laying on top of each other outside my bedroom door so I couldn't get out. I didn't want to be no fuckin' princess anyway. So I went to the old man. He liked me and I said to him, "Just give me my kid and let me out of here. I don't want anything."

"Geez, they were always around. Husbands, boyfriends, lawyers, managers, press agents -- the bosses. Where the fuck did they all go?" Her voice is tinny and high, almost childlike; until she picks up the telephone and says in movie-star timbre: "This is Miss Hayworth. Would you please send up another bottle of bourbon."

by Anonymousreply 3911/24/2012

Those comments make me sad. What a life.

by Anonymousreply 4011/24/2012

Rita's happiest days were with Orson Welles according to her own words. Guys, do you happen to know who was the greatest passion of Rita?

by Anonymousreply 4111/24/2012

More from Langella:

"On set, Rita continues to be a nightmare for everyone. There is not a shred of temperment, not a demand, not so much as a hint of cruelty. Rather it is like watching a schoolgirl desperately trying to learn her timetables and unable to get past the twos. Very little sympathy is shown for her. It is assumed she is a drunk and is boozing in her trailer. No one, including Mitchum, reaches out to help her. So little was known then of her disease that even I regarded the panic and terror in her eyes as the neurotic insecurity of a fading star."

Langella goes to see her after the film is done.

"Her house is somewhere up behind the Beverly Hills Hotel and she greets me at the door, again in a long white caftan. As usual, free of makeup, hair unkempt, happy to see me. Clasping my hand in hers, she says, "You're the first. Come on, I'll show you around." We go from room to room and through the windows she points to property she used to own. "They sold it off," she says, "husbands or agents -- I can't remember." On the walls, where paintings once hung, only faded patches remain, hooks still in place. "That one's on loan," she lies. "That one's out being cleaned." It is a barren empty shell of a house, sparsely furnished and lit, with only one picture left on the wall of her living room. It is over the fireplace, a gigantic black-and-white charcoal drawing of her in the glory days. As we enter her messy and cluttered bedroom she closes the door, comes into my arms, and kisses me. "Stay with me tonight, baby. I need a man to be with me."

by Anonymousreply 4211/24/2012

Kim Novak spoke fondly of working with Rita Hayworth: 'I knew Rita Hayworth only enough to know that she was just a tender, sensitive, beautiful human being. A lovely person. Very gentle. She would never stand up for her rights' Claudia Cardinale also spoke tenderly about Rita and she remembers her to be sad while during 'Circus World'.

Below there is a photo of Rita from 'Miss Sadie Thompson'. She was very moving in it.

by Anonymousreply 4311/24/2012

Rita seemed so gentle and breezy. I feel sad that she had to go through her terrible illness. I hope she is happy now and i hope we'll get happy soon (and not necessarily by dying).

by Anonymousreply 4411/24/2012

I give more than 100 votes for Rita. Why not? She earned them! Viva Rita!

by Anonymousreply 4511/24/2012

As one of the three greatest Hollywood beauties of all time (with Liz and Ava) why isn't Rita a bigger gay icon? Certainly her life was tragic enough.

by Anonymousreply 4611/24/2012

She didn't have a big personality.

by Anonymousreply 4711/24/2012

Like Alice Faye at 20th Century Fox, Rita at the far more 2nd rate Columbia, just didn't have the studio support that musical stars at MGM had. They'd both be far better remembered today had they been under contract at MGM.

In the 1930s and 40s their musicals were produced relatively cheaply and without the expertise and class of MGM. Nevetheless, as a testament to their talents and charisma, Rita and Alice at their prime were bigger than any of MGM's musical stars, including even Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 4811/24/2012

Rita had personality. Her mistakes imply that she was a person passionate and such persons usually have a personality and hunger for love. She was not bitchy at all, at least not bitchy to women. I have never seen anything bad written from women who knew Rita. She tried to give her best to men but they always ended up abusing her and taking advantage of her.

by Anonymousreply 4911/24/2012

* she was a passionate person

by Anonymousreply 5011/24/2012

Well Gilda will always be Rita's iconic role. But along with Put the Blame on Mame, she had one other iconic scene--the Hall of Mirrors in The Lady From Shanghai. Rita looked great as a blonde as well.

by Anonymousreply 5111/24/2012

Rita's dog seemed to adore her. Who wouldn't?

by Anonymousreply 5211/24/2012

I read several bios of her and the only "sad" part is that 95% of her problems were brought on by herself.

As Saffie said about Eddie "You live from one self induced crisis to the next."

by Anonymousreply 5311/24/2012

Yes R53. Giving herself Alzheimer's at such a young age.

Serves the bitch right.

by Anonymousreply 5411/24/2012

I'm not sure if Rita was quite in Ava's and Liz's league in beauty. Just one small step below them, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 5511/24/2012

Liz at her full beauty was somewhat short lived due to her alcohol and prescription pill abuse. After Richard Burton, I think her looks went downhill. The bloat and weight didn't help. Rita's beauty didn't seem to change.

by Anonymousreply 5611/24/2012

Yes, it did. She looked in her forties in Pal Joey.

by Anonymousreply 5711/24/2012

What's up with the writer at the OP:

"Astaire, ever the exacting secret asshole"

Bad writing. Very bad.

by Anonymousreply 5811/24/2012

Supposedly Rita had a confusion about sexuality. If a guy she knew expressed sadness or depression of any kind, she would have sex with him thinking that was the way to comfort a man.One example, David Niven had a party at his house,and an array of movie stars attended he and his new bride's party. They all decided to play hide and go seek and David Niven's wife ran to the basement slipping on the stairs tumbling down to her death. Everyone was shocked and devastated. David Niven went into deep depression and he was in total shock. Rita was a friend of David's and she had sex with him thinking that would comfort him.

I'm sure there were a lot of men who took advantage of Rita using this routine to get Rita to have sex with them. She was used because she was a victim of her confused state of mind and a victim of the many males who were sleaze balls.

by Anonymousreply 5911/24/2012

Presumably, starting with her father.

by Anonymousreply 6011/24/2012

I'd never heard of David Niven's wife's death. Tragic and awful.

[quote]Primula Rollo Niven's sudden death, at the age of only 28, was one of the most astonishing freak accidents in the annals of entertainment. While playing Hide and Seek at a party at Tyrone Power's house, she opened a door to step into what she took to be a closet. It was actually a steep set of stairs leading into Power's basement and she was severely injured in the resultant fall, dying the next day. Upon hearing of her death, the Nivens' old friend, Peter Ustinov, remarked that, "dying while finding a place to play Hide and Go Seek is such an asinine way to go that it almost makes one angry with fate". Niven was deeply stunned by her death, their younger son, Jamie Niven, having been born only a few months earlier, and it was said that he could never mention her in later years without breaking down.

by Anonymousreply 6111/24/2012

"Rita's beauty didn't seem to change."

I disagree, I think she didn't age well at all. She turned 30 in 1948, and by the early fifties her face was lined and her unique beauty was fading. I don't know if it was the smoking, drinking, and tanning, or the stress of multiple nasty divorces and the incest in her past. Soul-deep unhappiness is so bad for the skin.

And BTW did you know her famous red hair looked shocking pink in real life? She was a natural brunette, and in order to get her hair to photograph as that brilliant auburn, the studio hairdressers used a dye that looked freaky in person. Well, whatever worked, her hair looked fabulous onscreen, and the styles she used were so flattering that a woman could look good in them today.

by Anonymousreply 6211/24/2012

' read several bios of her and the only "sad" part is that 95% of her problems were brought on by herself'

R53 what do you mean by that? Rita was a victim of her illness and of men's lust.

by Anonymousreply 6311/25/2012

Put the blame Rita, put the blame on them...

by Anonymousreply 6411/25/2012

by Anonymousreply 6511/25/2012

R65 you didn't offer anything with your redundant comment. I wonder why you bothered to write that?

by Anonymousreply 6611/25/2012

Rita's hair was so much apart of what made her beauty. She was in a way the pre-cursor to Farrah and Aniston. Yes Veronica Lake's hairSTYLE was famous but that was more of a novelty than anything else, and she wasn't the beauty that Rita was.

by Anonymousreply 6711/25/2012

Has there ever been a Rita Hayworth biopic?

by Anonymousreply 6811/25/2012

R68 yes. I haven't seen it though. If i find it somewhere available i will.

by Anonymousreply 6911/25/2012

Oh that one film with Linda Carter is meh!

by Anonymousreply 7011/26/2012

Here's an interview from 1970. She looks her age, 51, but she's still an elegant and charming woman. Her eyes are mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 7111/26/2012

Rita's Alzheimer's started very early. She began having memory lapses and periods of confusion when she was only in her early 40's.

by Anonymousreply 7211/26/2012

She may look 51 but she was gorgeous even then.

If she had anything done to her face surgery-wise, it was subtle and tasteful and she still looks like Rita Hayworth.

Why can't women follow that example now?

by Anonymousreply 7311/26/2012

In this photo Rita looks exactly like Laura Elena Harring. Mulholland Dr. is one of my favourite movies. I absolutely love it, i'm in awe of it.

by Anonymousreply 7411/27/2012

Awe R74, great photo of Rita. I just love her.

by Anonymousreply 7511/27/2012

I don't see the resemblance between Rita and Haring. But she knocked me out when I saw that movie (also one of my faves). Haring was one of the most beautiful people I've seen on screen in that a long time. David Lynch must've been in love with her. She was perfectly lit and beautifully shot for the entire film.

by Anonymousreply 7611/27/2012

Films like Mulholland Dr. can't be touched by time. Most of the films can, but not this one. I wish they could be more films like this, which can leave you breathless and thinking and dreaming and feeling..

by Anonymousreply 7711/27/2012

Rita's eyes were erotic and sad. Warm eyes.

by Anonymousreply 7811/27/2012

Rita! Post for Rita Hayworth silly people!

Rita even when you grew older you had that look on your face that made you WANTED.

by Anonymousreply 7911/28/2012

I do see Rita in Lynda Carter.

by Anonymousreply 8011/28/2012

Please Don't Kiss Me from 'The Lady from Shanghai'

Performed by Rita Hayworth (dubbed by Anita Ellis)

Although Rita is dubbed for this song her expressions are so genuine while she is singing it.

by Anonymousreply 8111/30/2012

For lovely Rita

by Anonymousreply 8212/01/2012

It's raining...Rita!

by Anonymousreply 8312/01/2012

Childish but tender Rita.

by Anonymousreply 8412/01/2012

Even if she changed some things on herself she didn't lose her natural beauty. She looked so natural!

by Anonymousreply 8512/01/2012

R82, thanks a million! I watched that documentary and it is very good! If anyone hasn't watched it yet, do so because its great. However, they didn't mention of Rita was molested by her father of not.

by Anonymousreply 8612/01/2012

R86, you welcome!

When it comes to Rita's father, was a subtle subject, maybe that's why it went deliberately unnoticed. Orson Welles supports that Rita had told him she was molested by her father, however i haven't read anything else that proves that. There are only rumors. On the other hand, why Orson should lie? I don't know...

by Anonymousreply 8712/02/2012

If that was her hairline after electrolysis and bleaching, what must it have looked like before??

by Anonymousreply 8812/02/2012

Teresa i hope you like exquisite Rita

by Anonymousreply 8912/02/2012

I've seen "Gilda" more times than I can count and enjoy it because it's so bizarre, but I've never gotten what the big deal is about the "Put the Blame on Mame" striptease is.

by Anonymousreply 9012/02/2012

Rita and her third husband Prince Aly Khan.

Yes, he was a prick.

by Anonymousreply 9112/02/2012

R90, i thought i was going to be R90 but you caught me! Good for you. Guys post for RITA!

by Anonymousreply 9212/02/2012

Well, for it's time that 'striptease' was big deal R90. I liked this movie too, but i think that Rita should not be remembered exclusively for this film. She gave not a few sensational and dramatic performances. Actually i think that Rita Hayworth was underrated as an actress.

The photo below is from the movie 'They Came to Cordura',(Gary Cooper with Rita)

by Anonymousreply 9312/02/2012

R90, it wasn't just the strip tease that was the big deal at the time ,but what she was singing about was filled with very strong innuendo.

by Anonymousreply 9412/04/2012

Rita in an older age. She still has her beauty and her unique sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 9512/04/2012

Sweet, gorgeous Rita

by Anonymousreply 9612/04/2012

You want to share a cup of coffee with Rita?

See her movies and then maybe you'll have that cup of coffee thinking of her or talking over her

by Anonymousreply 9812/04/2012

Has anyone mentioned the child (daughter, IIRC) she had with Welles who was shipped of to live in obscurity? There's some doc which features a grandson who is autistic and some transexual who is also related somehow.

by Anonymousreply 9912/04/2012

God R99! Lol.

Is that all you wanted to say about Rita? That was your comment?

Anyway, that was better than nothing.

by Anonymousreply 10012/04/2012

I await the amazing Steve Hayes to comment.

by Anonymousreply 10112/04/2012

Rita Hayworth looked gorgeous even as an older woman. I don't know why 50 year old women are expected to look like 20 year old babes, that's a ridiculous expectation.

by Anonymousreply 10212/04/2012

Rita, Rita, Rita! An unforgettable image is that of Miss Hayworth as Gilda but Gilda remained unforgettable because of Rita.

by Anonymousreply 10312/11/2012

Rita in an older age with actress Gloria DeHaven

by Anonymousreply 10412/12/2012

Rita Hayworth Prince Aly Khan Sign Register Vallauris Press Photo

by Anonymousreply 10512/12/2012

Rita in an older age with her daughter Princess Yasmin and with Eartha Kitt!

by Anonymousreply 10612/12/2012

Rita with her daughter Rebecca Welles

by Anonymousreply 10712/12/2012

Rita with both her daughters and her fourth husband Dick Haymes

by Anonymousreply 10812/12/2012

Mom Rita gives her little daughter a hug.

by Anonymousreply 10912/12/2012

Rita fell in love with Dick Haymes, however it was at her expense

by Anonymousreply 11012/12/2012

A bumpy road was her love life

by Anonymousreply 11112/12/2012

Rita's illness undermined her but she managed to give a number of great performances and to leave her mark in the silver screen

by Anonymousreply 11212/12/2012

Rita Hayworth was celestial. She was so divine in musicals and so beautiful and fragile in dramas.

by Anonymousreply 11301/04/2013

Not a common beauty. She had her style and class.

by Anonymousreply 11401/04/2013

Men adored her and women loved her. She was not a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 11501/04/2013

Yes, guys, Rita was sweetly GLORIOUS!

In the photo below she is dancing with Stephen Crane, one of Lana Turner's husbands!

by Anonymousreply 11601/04/2013

Sexy Rita

by Anonymousreply 11701/04/2013

Here is a 1976 photo of Rita with Glenn Ford. Even in an older age Rita was special. I love the beauty of her tired eyes in this photo.

by Anonymousreply 11801/04/2013

Rita Hayworth's profile

by Anonymousreply 11901/04/2013

Rita with Orson Welles and Errol Flynn!

by Anonymousreply 12001/04/2013

The 'siren' look

by Anonymousreply 12101/04/2013

She looks sad in this photo although she was on vacation with Dick Haynes

by Anonymousreply 12201/04/2013

Inscrutable Rita...

by Anonymousreply 12301/04/2013

Whatever became of Rebecca Welles? Must be a tough legacy to live up to when Orson Welles is your father and Rita Hayworth is your mother.

by Anonymousreply 12501/04/2013

R124 fuck you very much! Cruel idiot.

by Anonymousreply 12601/04/2013

R125, here is a link that says a few things about Rebecca Welles.

by Anonymousreply 12701/04/2013

R125 you might be interested in this link too

by Anonymousreply 12801/04/2013

What's your problem, r126? Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 12901/04/2013

Rita Hayworth with her third husband asshole Prince Aly Khan

by Anonymousreply 13001/04/2013

Rita again with the same asshole

by Anonymousreply 13101/04/2013

Gracegul Rita and Aly Khan wed in Village Hall

by Anonymousreply 13201/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 13301/04/2013

One of my favourite Rita Hayworth movies, maybe my favourite of hers is 'Separate Tables'.

Legendary Deborah Kerr, Burt Lancaster, David Niven and Wendy Hiller star in this unique movie.

by Anonymousreply 13401/13/2013

Sexy Rita Hayworth with notorious Orson Welles

by Anonymousreply 13501/13/2013

They were a couple once upon a time...

by Anonymousreply 13601/13/2013

Actually they were very happy when they were close once upon a time...

by Anonymousreply 13701/13/2013

Something is breaking...

by Anonymousreply 13801/13/2013

Orson was a bloated fool that distanced himself from Rita.

by Anonymousreply 13901/13/2013

Why Orson? Fool!

by Anonymousreply 14001/13/2013

It's "Gave good face" r16

by Anonymousreply 14101/13/2013

Hehehehe R141! What a cutie you are.

by Anonymousreply 14201/13/2013

Rita doesn't live here anymore. Here, there, whatever...

by Anonymousreply 14301/13/2013

I think men should love Rita better

by Anonymousreply 14401/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 14501/13/2013

'You Were Never Lovelier'

by Anonymousreply 14601/13/2013

She inspired many many many people with her beauty

by Anonymousreply 14701/13/2013

She also inspired Orson Welles, that's why he married her.

by Anonymousreply 14802/20/2013

Rita shining alongside George Macready for 'Gilda'

by Anonymousreply 14902/20/2013

Awesome photos of Rita. Bravo guys.

Below there is Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford playing cards on what I’m feeling pretty sure is the set of Gilda.

by Anonymousreply 15003/01/2013

Neverending image of Rita

by Anonymousreply 15103/02/2013

Rita Hayworth gets ready for her next scene, 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 15203/13/2013

Rita Hayworth having her hair cut off

by Anonymousreply 15303/13/2013

Photo freak: GO HOME!

by Anonymousreply 15403/13/2013

Omg! How come and nobody have made yet a thread about Orson Welles?

This is crazy!

by Anonymousreply 15504/15/2013

I bumped into this Rita Hayworth Sway Dancing a while ago. I love it! Have you ever seen it Rita Hayworth appreciators?

By the way, nice picture you posted here about Rita. Gorgeous woman!

by Anonymousreply 15604/30/2013

keep posting them, i love them!

by Anonymousreply 15704/30/2013

R156, personally i haven't seen that video. Cool! Beautiful song, Rosemary Clooney sang it beautifully as well, and Rita is exquisite!

by Anonymousreply 15804/30/2013

A lovely image of Rita Hayworth, leaning on her elbow.

by Anonymousreply 15904/30/2013

That photo of her smiling is devestatingly beautiful. Her whole face changes.

by Anonymousreply 16004/30/2013

Rita Hayworth in 1949 around the time she married Prince Aly Khan.

by Anonymousreply 16104/30/2013

R160, i know what you mean...:)

Rita Hayworth in 1949 around the time she married Prince Aly Khan (another take of it)

by Anonymousreply 16204/30/2013

Rita was the most gorgeous, gracious woman to come out of Hollywood...perhaps second only to Ava Gardner. Overrated Liz Taylor is not even in competition. The minute she opened her mouth, obnoxious came out.

by Anonymousreply 16304/30/2013

She's on right now -- the Loves of Carmen -- on TCM!

by Anonymousreply 16404/30/2013

I love Rita, i certainly love Elizabeth and i even love quick-tempered Ava. Beautiful and talented women all of them. Classic beauties. Dream weavers.

by Anonymousreply 16505/02/2013

Enough with the photos and links!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16605/02/2013

Can someone tell me why the hell it's so difficult to find 'If This Was Happiness: A Biography of Rita Hayworth' by Barbara Leaming?

Shame on!

You must bring this product anew!

by Anonymousreply 16705/04/2013

Was plastic surgery a common thing I know a lot of stars from the 30's and 40's had their teeth capped but breast implants, rhinoplasties? Rita Hayworth's nose is completely different from Rita Cansino's broader nose in OP's link.

by Anonymousreply 16805/04/2013

* looking at R168...

by Anonymousreply 16905/04/2013

Someone put her fire out...

by Anonymousreply 17005/05/2013

Rita Hayworth and Robert Scott (later known as Marc Roberts) in 'Gilda' 1946

by Anonymousreply 17105/15/2013

Rita and Ava are my two favorites from that era. Both were very sensuous and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 17205/15/2013

I wish Orson Welles had made more than a movie with Rita. What a pity he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 17305/16/2013

Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford on break from filming Gilda, 1946

by Anonymousreply 17407/13/2013

(If you have a problem when a photo seems cache or forbidden, color the address of the link which is at the top of the page and then press the button ENTER. Then the photo will appear.)

Again Rita with Glenn Ford

by Anonymousreply 17507/13/2013

What a woman. Oh mama mia!

by Anonymousreply 17612/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 17712/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 17812/30/2013

Just older...

by Anonymousreply 17912/30/2013

Birthday gal Lili Palmer attends a gala event joined by Rita Hayworth

by Anonymousreply 18012/30/2013

What Marlene Dietrich wanted to do to me cannot be said.

by Anonymousreply 18112/30/2013

Rita Hayworth, Orson Welles and Marlene Dietrich.

This photo had been sent here before, but that link doesn't work anymore. I hope this does. It's a beautiful....vivid photo.

by Anonymousreply 18212/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 18312/31/2013

Rita Hayworth in Clay Campbell ‘s makeup chair during the filming of Gilda, 1946

by Anonymousreply 18412/31/2013

Rita with her...Orson.

by Anonymousreply 18512/31/2013

Evening in Hollywood brings ghosts, and few people are haunted by so many as Rita Hayworth. I only had to mention one-“Marilyn- and Rita was off, confronting them all. “Marilyn? Marilyn wasn’t put on. That’s why she was so good. Her femininity was real, there are very few who are really women on screen- I like to think I was. But I never met Marilyn, so I don’t really know… Sure they gave it to her, just like they gave it to me, honey, just because she posed in the nude! What is that?! Like all those American church magazines yellin’ at me because I married a Moslem! Sometimes I wonder why I ever came back.”

-“Rita Hayworth- Is She a Legend? The World’s Most Famous Redhead Reminisces" by John Hallowell in Palm Beach Post, Friday, November 13, 1970.

by Anonymousreply 18612/31/2013

Edith Piaf and Rita Hayworth

by Anonymousreply 18712/31/2013

Rita Hayworth, c. 1952

by Anonymousreply 18812/31/2013

With Robert Mitchum during the shooting of 'Fire Down Below'(1957)

by Anonymousreply 18912/31/2013

"know a lot of stars from the 30's and 40's had their teeth capped but breast implants, rhinoplasties?"

Rhinoplasty, yes. Breast implants - no. They did it the natural way then - padded bras. Silicone implants had not been invented. Lena Horne said the only actress at MGM with her own boobs was Ava. She would know.

by Anonymousreply 19012/31/2013

Lol R90...cute! Yes, i guess Lena certainly knew...

Rita Hayworth au Festival de Cannes, 1949

by Anonymousreply 19112/31/2013

I get you.

by Anonymousreply 19212/31/2013

“She was the most beautiful, glorious creature then. Film posters cried, “There was never a woman like Gilda” — and they were right. There has never been anyone in the history of movies that had such a magical presence on film. She was delightful and sexy, and she moved with such grace and glamour. We had worked together when we were both coming up in the business, and then she had zoomed to the top.“

“I can remember when we were at Camp Pendleton [the Marine Corps base near San Diego], and every young Marine there had her picture pinned up in every locker and on every wall. I would see her in those very sexy pinup poses in slinky lingerie and think how different her image seemed from the very shy brunette I knew when we were making The Lady in Question.“ —Glenn Ford

“ She was the sweetest person, she was nothing at all like she seemed on screen. I mean on screen, she looked, you know, like a real, you know, strong willed kind of– but she was real soft spoken, real gentle, kind, person. She was just as sweet as she could be. “

— Kim Novak

“She was a beautiful, talented, warm-hearted woman who had the greatest sense of humor. At the same time, she was a sharp, fiery lady who was full of spunk and had a flash temper. I think she was probably too nice for Hollywood - she was not tough enough. I admired her so much because she was such a gentle person. She loved to laugh and joke, and to me she was always herself. We had a close mother-daughter relationship filled with mutual respect and love. She was actually a shy, very private person. She loved books and read a lot of [the Spanish poet and playwright] Garcia Lorca. She painted still lifes and flowers.“

“I remember growing up in Beverly Hills and spending a lot of time with her just sitting by the pool at our home and talking. We would swim, laugh and giggle, and talk just like two close friends. We really enjoyed being with each other, sharing experiences and love. ” - Princess Yasmin Khan on her relationship with her mother Rita Hayworth“

-Princess Yasmin Khan on her relationship with her mother Rita Hayworth

In the photo below:Rita Hayworth and Eartha Kitt pose backstage with their daughters, Yasmin Kahn and Kitt McDonald at the Mark Hellenger Theater, June 1978. Eartha has just performed in the musical Timbuktu.

by Anonymousreply 19312/31/2013

Currently watching Gilda for the first time; on TCM right now.

by Anonymousreply 19401/07/2014

Rita Hayworth & Soldier

by Anonymousreply 19501/15/2014

Rita with Lana Turner

by Anonymousreply 19601/15/2014

Kirk Douglas dating Rita Hayworth in the early 1950s

by Anonymousreply 19701/15/2014

Details about RITA HAYWORTH Sexy Portrait ~ ORIGINAL VINTAGE Photo

by Anonymousreply 19801/31/2014

Why the hell did she marry Prince Aly Khan? He was repugnant and it seemed so.

by Anonymousreply 19910/04/2014

She should have married Glenn Ford, but i guess that never happened because he was already married to someone else.

by Anonymousreply 20010/04/2014

Why did she break up with Dick Haymes? He seemed such a sweet man...Appearances are deceptive, maybe? What happened?

by Anonymousreply 20110/16/2014

Dick Haymes was a drunk with mental health issues.

by Anonymousreply 20210/16/2014

...and Haymes was a wife-beater.

Should she have married her 1960s boyfriend, Bette Davis' ex, Gary Merrill?

by Anonymousreply 20310/16/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!