Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Most hated Christmas song

"Christmas Is The Time To Say I Love You" by Billy Squier. That shrill vibrato just makes my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 19612/04/2012

The twelve days of Christmas...

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2011

All of them, if you keep your radio tuned to a 24-hour Christmas station long enough.

But really, it's this sappy, manipulative crap (I would hear this at least ten times a day when I lived in Arizona):

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2011

I own this thread.

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2011

Madge's "Santa Baby" featuring that annoying kewpie doll character she honed in "Who's That Girl?" Must....stop...NOW.

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2011

"Last Christmas"

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2011

I'm with r3.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2011

Yes, all of them. It would be a shorter task to list the ones I do like. "When My Heart Finds Christmas" by Harry Connick Jr and "Cantique de Noël" are pretty much it.

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2011

John and Paul's are both atrocious for 2 great writers.

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2011

Oh, and Mariah's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"; I love that despite my hatred of the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2011

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

mashed up on Glee with

The Chipmunk Song

featuring Lea Michelle

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2011

Grandma Got Run-Over by a Reindeer.

I loathe it.

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2011

Off hand, I can't think of any I hate. I'm sure there must be some. But there are the truly horrible songs that are so deliciously awful that I love them. Case in point.

The Christmas Shoes

Mama needs new shoes cause she's meeting Jesus tonight. How can you not like that?

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2011

Anne Murray's cover of "Christmas in Killarney"

Barbara Mandrell's "It Must Have Been The Mistletoe"

Oh god, please kill me before I get these songs stuck in my head.

by Anonymousreply 1312/01/2011

Chipmunk Song too. I loathe it deeply and eternally.

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2011

Silver Bells, the worst Christmas song ever!

City sidewalks, busy sidewalks / Dressed in holiday style / In the air there's a feeling / Of Christmas / Children laughing, people passing / Meeting smile after ...

by Anonymousreply 1512/01/2011

by Anonymousreply 1612/01/2011

"White Christmas."

by Anonymousreply 1712/01/2011

"Merry Christmas, Darling" is the only bad Carpenters song.

by Anonymousreply 1812/01/2011

Any version of "Carol of the Bells"

by Anonymousreply 1912/01/2011

"Melt With You" as used in the Hershey's chocolate commercial. Aaaaghghgh!!!

Also "My Favorite Things" from The Sound Of Music, which has fuck-all to do with Christmas

by Anonymousreply 2012/01/2011

A tie between:

"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer." The cheap-ass cartoon is even worse.

"Christmas Shoes"

by Anonymousreply 2212/01/2011

"Merry Christmas, Darling" is the only bad Carpenters song."

No it's not, they had a lot of crappy songs, in fact most of their songs were crappy and corny. "Top of the World", "Yesterday Once More" are two off the top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 2312/01/2011

Hate Mariah, her voice, her personality, her looks - - she has the worst catalogue of crap songs of almost any successful singer, but I loathe "All I Want For Christmas".

by Anonymousreply 2412/01/2011

All of those Childish ones like "up in a housetop" and "Rudolph" et al.

by Anonymousreply 2512/01/2011

I hate those choirs singing christmas hymns that they play in department stores .. reminds me of The Omen!

by Anonymousreply 2612/01/2011

by Anonymousreply 2712/01/2011

[quote]No it's not, they had a lot of crappy songs

You're right; I forgot about "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft."

by Anonymousreply 2912/01/2011

Rudolph the fucking Reindeer!

by Anonymousreply 3012/01/2011

Any Christmas song sung by Aaron Neville....ARGGGGH!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3112/01/2011

Feeeeed the Wooooorrrrllllddd.. Let them know it's Christmastime againnnnnnnnnnn.....

by Anonymousreply 3212/01/2011

And while I'm at it:

"And so happy Christmas

For black and for white

For yellow and red ones

Let's stop all the fight..."

by Anonymousreply 3312/01/2011

Damn it, I clicked on this thread all eager to post about "Christmas Shoes" and R12 already beat me to it. I seriously think radio stations are just fucking with everyone when they have this as part of their regular holiday rotation. How the hell else do you explain a "holiday" song from a little boy's perspective talking about how it's Christmas Eve and his mom is about to die and they're so poor he can't even afford shoes to bury her in? If this isn't a giant practical joke, then it's indisputable proof that there is no Jesus.

And I just discovered that it has almost no dislikes on YouTube! WTF?

by Anonymousreply 3412/01/2011

"Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCrappney....truly a yuletide equivalent to razor blades slashing the eardrums.

by Anonymousreply 3512/01/2011

I will turn the radio off if I even hear The Christmas Shoes Without a doubt the worst song EVER

by Anonymousreply 3612/01/2011

I personally can't stand "Here Comes Santa Claus"

I mean religious songs like "Oh Holy Night" are quite beautiful and I have nothing against them. I love "Winter Wonderland" but "Here comes Santa Claus" is a children's song laced with religious allegory and I hate it on principle.

by Anonymousreply 3712/01/2011

Jingle Bells. It always sounds like it is being shouted.

by Anonymousreply 3812/01/2011

I know this is the hated thread, but... I love George Takei's "I'm Dreaming of a White Penis" Christmas song.

by Anonymousreply 3912/01/2011

HATE Grandma Got Runover By A Reindeer

LOVE The Christmas Waltz (Peggy Lee). Every time, I'm right back in my sleeper PJs in the living room by the crackling fireplace with my cat, checking all the tags on the presents and wondering what Santa would bring. What happened? Why does it have to suck as an adult? I'd love to feel generous and happy with my 8yo niece, but she's a dismissive rude brat every year so I can't even enjoy that.

by Anonymousreply 4012/01/2011

"The Little Drummer Boy" - rumpapumpum, arrgh. And they seem to be playing the damn thing every single time I'm in the drug store or grocery.

by Anonymousreply 4112/01/2011

The Twelve Days of Christmas always has a bloated arrangement, just horrible

by Anonymousreply 4212/01/2011

Yes, R23. I tried to listen to "We've Only Just Begun" yesterday when it was on the radio (It had been years) and it was like a disjointed bizarro freak fest. Terrible, meaningless lyrics, odd vocals, ghastly harmonies, and Karen sounding like the control queen of all time, with every drop of life choked out of her voice as her Karo-Light-Corn-Syrup-and-varnish voice cynically proved the lie to every word without a lick of self awareness in her inauthenticity. I was exhausted when the thing was over - MARY!

BUT to the thread at hand.

I Hate IT CAME UPON A MIDNIGHT CLEAR and O HOLY NIGHT among the holies, and the Lennon/McCartney shit, the Grandma/Reindeer shit, and the fucking Mormon Tabernacle Choir version of SLEIGH RIDE when all 15,000 of the nitwits sing "When we pass around the CIDER and the pumpkin pie" because the cultists don't believe in coffee.

Meddling in everyone's business, shunning, gossiping, cheating non-Mormons, lying about their religion's tenets, hiding their assets, falsifying their history, and basing their faith on personal wealth and a patently insane cosmology - this they can embrace. But they can't sing the fucking word "coffee" when it's in a lyric.

by Anonymousreply 4312/01/2011

There are too many awful Christmas songs to proclaim just one as the most hated. I myself hate the following:

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus by anybody

Sleigh Ride by anybody

Frosty the Snowman by anybody

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree

Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

Merry Christmas, Darling by the Carpenters

Any Christmas song sung by any of Phil Spector's "girl groups"

Silent Night by Stevie Nicks

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Chrissie Hynde

The Christmas Shoes

Mary's Boy Child

Do They Know It's Christmas?

So This Is Christmas by John Lennon and Yoko Ono

I'm Gettin' Nuttin' for Christmas

Santa Baby by Madonna

by Anonymousreply 4412/01/2011

[quote]I tried to listen to "We've Only Just Begun" yesterday when it was on the radio (It had been years) and it was like a disjointed bizarro freak fest.

Wow. The Carpenters must be a generational thing. Eldergays like me mostly revere their songs; "We've Only Just Begun" et al. just evoke an early 70s mellowness that is long gone. I can see how, out of that context, their songs might sound annoying.

by Anonymousreply 4512/01/2011

Wow - that's a long list.

by Anonymousreply 4612/01/2011

[quote]Silent Night by Stevie Nicks

Oh my god, no shit! That has to be heard to be believed.

by Anonymousreply 4712/01/2011

[quote]I'm Gettin' Nuttin' for Christmas

Words cannot describe how much I loathe this one. It always enraged me as a child, then when I was in second grade my class had to sing it for the school Christmas assembly. Fuck whoever wrote that shit and thought it was "cute."

And even though it's been mentioned several times, here's another vote for "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime." Some of the most repetitive, unimaginative dreck ever written. If it wasn't by Paul McCartney no radio station would have ever played it.

by Anonymousreply 4812/01/2011

modern: Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime

classic: Good King Wenceslas, dull, thudding repetition and no bridge

by Anonymousreply 4912/01/2011

Wonderful Christmas Time: vile beyond words.

I just heard Carrie Underwood's version of "Hark the Heralds." I knew her name, but I don't think I've ever heard her sing. I hope I never repeat the experience.

by Anonymousreply 5012/01/2011

I know it's still early but after hearing "Feliz Navidad" for the 500th time I just want to scratch my eyes out

by Anonymousreply 5112/01/2011

The Chipmunk Song is entertaining when it's slowed down. It becomes the story of three guys terrorized by a demon.

by Anonymousreply 5212/01/2011

r34, I think you're as evil and as much an evil fuck as I am.

The comments are, well they are what they are. Here's my most favorite, most Christmasy comment.

"@rodriguezedward266 shut the fuck up you stipud mexican. thats what the true meaning of christamas is. giving to give. not giving to maybe nexy time you need to watch what you say becuase there are some people who have lost there moms, and then for you to some something like that!! you should be lucky someone doesnt kick yuor ass you son of a bitch!"

by Anonymousreply 5312/01/2011

I loathe any Christmas songs by the Beach Boys.

by Anonymousreply 5412/01/2011

"Any Christmas song sung by any of Phil Spector's "girl groups"

Thank you. I thought it was only one who loathed them.

Hate the Jackson 5 Christmas songs too, particularly "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town". Creeps me out.

Actually, I hate just about ALL versions of "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town".

by Anonymousreply 5512/01/2011

You hate "Oh Holy Night"? Really? I think that's one of the prettier hymns.

by Anonymousreply 5612/01/2011

I've always despised "Little Drummer Boy" and "Do You Hear What I Hear." No one can redeem that dreck.

Here's a palate cleanser:

by Anonymousreply 5712/01/2011

I loathe loathe.

by Anonymousreply 5812/01/2011

"White Christmas," sung by Katy Perry, is horrible. It's like listening to a meth addict singing about meth.

"All I Want for Christmas," howled and screeched and melisma-d to death my Mariah Carey doesn't even sound like a Christmas song.

by Anonymousreply 5912/01/2011

[quote]Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree

Fuck. this. song.

It's like an aural acid bath.

by Anonymousreply 6012/01/2011

On the other hand, I love George Michael's "Last Christmas".

I lived that song, more than once.

by Anonymousreply 6112/01/2011

One correction: I absolutely LOATHE the Glee version of "Last Christmas".

by Anonymousreply 6212/01/2011

Dominick, The Italian Christmas Donkey

by Anonymousreply 6312/01/2011

That's hilarious, R53! Nothing like showing someone what the true spirit of Christmas is all about by calling them a "stupid Mexican" (oh, I'm sorry, I meant a "stipud mexican").

by Anonymousreply 6412/01/2011

"I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas"

by Anonymousreply 6512/01/2011

Christmas Shoes. GAH!!

by Anonymousreply 6612/01/2011

I know this is a thread about hated Christmas songs, but this is the BEST Christmas song ever written and recorded. It makes me cry every time I hear it.

It was written by Stephen Sondheim for Barbra Streisand's last Christmas album.

by Anonymousreply 6712/01/2011

[R67], did you mean THIS Christmas song? This is the one written by Stephen Sondheim, and it certainly is one of the most beautiful songs ever written:

(but "I'll Be Home For Christmas" is nothing to sneeze at, either)

by Anonymousreply 6812/01/2011

New York City Christmas - Ryan Adam

It just seemed so opportunistic and disingenuous to release it after 9/11. It always makes me vomit.

by Anonymousreply 6912/01/2011

Another vote for both the Beatle boys, dear God in heaven, they are horrible, horrible songs.

by Anonymousreply 7012/01/2011

"Christmas Island at Christmas Time" (lyrics by SS, music by Mary Rodgers) is my favorite Sondheim "Christmas" song.

by Anonymousreply 7112/01/2011

A wonderful Christmas time!

by Anonymousreply 7212/01/2011

Another vote for "Feliz Navidad." When I lived in Southern California, that song received constant airplay during the entire month of December.

by Anonymousreply 7312/01/2011

Taylor Swift's version of "Silent Night." She can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree." Lousy singer - made it big because she started out as a little girl who sounded like a barroom brawler.

I've never heard Christmas Shoes but so many people hate it, that it's probably good luck that I've never heard it.

OTOH, for a great version of "White Christmas" Bernadette Peters and the cast of "Annie Get YOur Gun" did a beautiful job on this song for one of the Broadway Cares annual Christmas CDs.

by Anonymousreply 7412/01/2011

For you, 74. With Love.

by Anonymousreply 7512/01/2011

Oh, yes, Feliz Navidad. Even my Hispanic friends can't stand it.

by Anonymousreply 7612/01/2011

N'Sync butchered Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas". Just the thought of Justin's nasal whining attempt at falsetto makes me want to toss out my Christmas tree.

Same for Chris Brown's version but worse because he doesn't have other band members to drown out his pitchy out of tune voice.

However, the original is a gift to the ears and further proof that classic songs should generally be left to the original artists.

Linking to the version I like because linking to the others would be too cruel even for DL.

by Anonymousreply 7712/01/2011

Orchestral versions of "Sleigh Ride" are fine but the sung versions are annoying. The lyrics get in the way of the music.

Speaking of undesirable lyrics, "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" has some stinkers. "There'll be much mistletoeing" is awful and the reference to "marshmallows for toasting" seems out of place. The only ones I think of at Christmas are chocolate-covered marshmallow Santas.

by Anonymousreply 7812/01/2011

Anything sung by actual dogs or fake chipmunks

by Anonymousreply 7912/01/2011

another vote for how awful The xmas shoes is.

But, on the subject of really bad lyrics there is a xmas song sung by Frank Sinatra with the line about giving the tree the trim I really hate that line and that song.

by Anonymousreply 8012/01/2011

r78 - let's not forget "There'll be scary ghost stories. And tales of the glories of Christmases long, long ago"

Who tells ghost stories at Christmas. Easter, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 8112/01/2011

I assumed that line was a reference to "A Christmas Carol," R81.

by Anonymousreply 8212/01/2011

I live in Seattle. There is a regional song called, "Christmas in the Northwest" that makes me wish to lose my hearing in an explosion, or maybe through some serious infection or illness.

by Anonymousreply 8312/02/2011

The Ray Conniff Singers changed the lyrics on "We Need A Little Christmas" and it ruins the whole song.

The line is "We need a little snappy, happy ever-after."

They sing, "We need a little something, happy ever-after."

There's an Andy Williams song where he's singing about Santa: "He'll be comin' down the chimney down."

When it comes to ghost stories, Christmas stories of this type were a Victorian tradition.

by Anonymousreply 8412/02/2011

Comment from The Christmas Shoes on Youtube:

You are a complete moron and here's why: 1) you cry over this piece of shit song every time (everytime is actually not a word, just like someofthetime is not a word); 2) you don't realize that the message of this song is that God has apparently decided to kill a woman and send her son on some weird mission so that this man can feel better about himself; and 3) it is "LOSER" not "LOOSER" you loser! I say all of this with a little dose of Jesus in my heart!

by Anonymousreply 8512/02/2011

Christmas Shoes

Silent Night

by Anonymousreply 8612/02/2011

Best ever:

Darlene Love's (Christmas) Baby Come Home and Christmastime for the Jews

by Anonymousreply 8712/02/2011

r23, in "Top of the World" one of them missed a cue, but it was left in.

by Anonymousreply 8812/02/2011

OK, never saw/heard X-mas shoes. And like a first timer, I teared up a bit, but fuck me mary, more than twice would be TORTURE.

And momma must have had pretty fucking sturdy feet with pontoons like that.

It ends with the kid entering a fucking hospital, BUT I picture 'Momma' as Daddy's husband dying of AIDS and the kid loves this man just as much...

by Anonymousreply 8912/02/2011

Any version of "Oh, Holy Night" where the vocalist sings "and yander waits a NUUU and glorius morn."

by Anonymousreply 9012/02/2011

Stevie Nicks' Silent Night needs to be redone as a duet with Rihanna.

Can you imagine the nasally phlegm oozing out of that one?

I'm in!

by Anonymousreply 9112/02/2011

"Away in a Manger." Sappy and lifeless tune, takes forever. Don't get me started on the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 9212/02/2011

r81/r82, yes, apparently in England there is (or at least was in Victorian times) a tradition of telling ghost stories at Christmas, thus "A Christmas Carol" and my favorite, Jerome K. Jerome's "Told After Supper."

by Anonymousreply 9312/02/2011

Another vote for "The Little Drummer Boy." Ugh!

Most (but not all)of the religious songs are okay, except that there should be a law against country/western singers recording serious religious Christmas songs. They sound so fake and so horrible!

by Anonymousreply 9412/02/2011

Cassandra Wilson did a great 'little drummer boy'.

by Anonymousreply 9512/02/2011

If only they could all be like this. Who else would sing Christmas songs dressed completely in black leather?

by Anonymousreply 9612/02/2011

A singer named Carola mangles the lyrics of "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing."

Instead of "Hail the incarnate deity," she sings "Hail the in car Nate dye tee." No wonder it was a free mp3 download on Amazon music.

by Anonymousreply 9712/02/2011

r83, your post was the funniest thing I've read on DL in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 9812/02/2011

Only CHarles Schultz could make suicide seem like a viable holiday tradition.

by Anonymousreply 9912/02/2011

This wistful classic was cut from A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS.

by Anonymousreply 10012/02/2011

I'm with r12 and few others:" Xmas Shoes" makes me want to get all stabby. My personal faves:

"Silent Night"--Temptation's version.Sheer vocal perfection. ALL the guys get to show off their singing chops. I'm not religious by any means, but this just gives me chills.

"Charlie Brown Christmas Soundtrack"--Vince Guaraldi. There is just something so wistful and melancholy about the music--almost an undertone of slight despair.

My "go to " Xmas music--"James Brown's Funky Christmas" It just ain't Christmas at Chez Moi without this fun and funky classic playing in the backround!

by Anonymousreply 10112/02/2011

Michael Bubleh, trying to sound cool, singing, "It's a holleh, jolleh Krizmus."

by Anonymousreply 10212/02/2011

This thread is as good a place as any for Mitzi Gaynor to make her annual appearance in "We Need a Little Christmas."

Both the song and Miss Mitzi's rendition are fine. It's the clumsy skaters in the background who make this a disastrous favorite.

by Anonymousreply 10312/02/2011

At its best the "Peanuts" strip had a sort of Cold War era existential angst. It was like Jules Feiffer for the masses. "A Charlie Brown Christmas" captures that perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 10412/02/2011

Any that use children's choirs.

Actually children should not be allowed to celebrate it or have fun. Or sing.

by Anonymousreply 10512/02/2011

Brilliant analysis, R104.

by Anonymousreply 10612/02/2011

[quote]Meddling in everyone's business, shunning, gossiping, cheating non-Mormons, lying about their religion's tenets, hiding their assets, falsifying their history, and basing their faith on personal wealth and a patently insane cosmology - this they can embrace. But they can't sing the fucking word "coffee" when it's in a lyric.

r43, this totally cheered me up on a crappy day. Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 10712/02/2011

ANY Beach Boys Christmas song, but particularly "The Little Saint Nick".

by Anonymousreply 10812/02/2011

R90 you're wrong!!

Mariah's version is by far the best christmas song evah!

by Anonymousreply 10912/02/2011

"Cassandra Wilson did a great 'little drummer boy'.:

So did Joan Jett.

by Anonymousreply 11012/03/2011

"I'll Be Home for Christmas." Maudlin. And what's up with the line "and presents ON the tree?" Nobody puts presents ON the tree, they're under the tree. So to keep the one syllable word, why not say "presents 'neath the tree?"

Drives me crazy every time I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 11112/03/2011

r 111, "On the tree" drives me crazy as well. "'Round the tree' would be my choice, but yours is good too.

by Anonymousreply 11212/03/2011

r111 - It may sound maudling to you but in 1943, when the song was written and recorded, it meant a lot to millions of people.

by Anonymousreply 11312/04/2011

Major Bill Smith and Nancy Nolte -- Happy Birthday Jesus

by Anonymousreply 11412/04/2011

Baby It's Cold Outside

First because it isn't even a Christmas song, there is litterally no mention of Christmas, holidays, Santa, elves, or anything that might justify it being played round the clock this time of year

Secondly, I'm pretty sure the male voice in the song is a pedophile. Why else would the female character be so worried about mom and dad. Then it sound's like he might of slipped something in her drink.

Baby It's Cold Outside

I really can't stay - Baby it's cold outside I've got to go away - Baby it's cold outside This evening has been - Been hoping that you'd drop in So very nice - I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice My mother will start to worry - Beautiful, what's your hurry My father will be pacing the floor - Listen to the fireplace roar So really I'd better scurry - Beautiful, please don't hurry Well Maybe just a half a drink more - Put some music on while I pour

The neighbors might think - Baby, it's bad out there Say, what's in this drink - No cabs to be had out there I wish I knew how - Your eyes are like starlight now To break this spell - I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell I ought to say no, no, no, sir - Mind if I move a little closer At least I'm gonna say that I tried - What's the sense in hurting my pride I really can't stay - Baby don't hold out Ahh, but it's cold outside

by Anonymousreply 11512/05/2011

The Boney M Christmas album. All of it. Chances are any of the worst songs here heard in malls, some will be by this dreadful pre-Milli Vanilli German/Carribbean crew. They've been plugging away since the seventies (Ma Baker, Rasputin, etc) then when they hit the skids, turned out this holiday album. Like VD, its with us forever.

by Anonymousreply 11612/05/2011

"Here Comes Santa Claus Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane)", especially the lyric "Let's give thanks to the Lord above 'cause Santa Claus comes tonight"

by Anonymousreply 11712/05/2011

[quote]I know it's still early but after hearing "Feliz Navidad" for the 500th time I just want to scratch my eyes out

Well it's not like you were using them R51.

by Anonymousreply 11812/05/2011

Baby It's Cold Outside is also called the 'date rape Xmas song'.

by Anonymousreply 11912/05/2011

Patton Oswalt dismantles that damn "Christmas Shoes" song:

by Anonymousreply 12012/05/2011

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" is definitely about a guy getting a very naive female drunk in order to fuck her. Cf. "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow," in which the singer also clearly wants to get laid, but is willing to take "no" for an answer, and is serving popcorn, not Zombies.

by Anonymousreply 12112/05/2011

Thanks, r120. Go, Patton!

by Anonymousreply 12212/05/2011

OMG R116.....I finally had to hide my mother's Boney M Christmas CD....just couldn't stand it anymore. What they do to perfectly wonderful Christmas songs verges on the criminal!

by Anonymousreply 12312/05/2011

Celebrate Me Home by Kenny Loggins eats cock.

Sarah Maclaughlin's yodeling on God Rest Ye Merrie Gentleman is too precious for words.

by Anonymousreply 12412/05/2011

That was great, R120! Especially the part about Jesus being a bitchy queen who judges you based on your footwear.

by Anonymousreply 12512/05/2011

Get a grip, R15, the song was written in 1936. Scroll down and check out some of the covers that have been done.

Bing and Jimmy Stewart? Nureyev and Miss Piggy?

by Anonymousreply 12612/05/2011

Live Aid's - Do they Know It's Christmas, fuckin hate it!

At my work they're playing chrismas songs all day long every day. I have talked to administration to try to turn the radio off or change the radio station, to no avail.

All day xmas tunes on the radio is driving me fucking nuts.

And to make matters even worse, my cubemates are all humming out loud or singing along.

by Anonymousreply 12712/05/2011

"Cassandra Wilson did a great 'little drummer boy'.:

So did Joan Jett."

Bob Seger also did a good version of "Little Drummer Boy."

Back to hated Christmas songs:

I can't stand Bruce Springsteen's "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town." It's one of those overblown, Springsteen performances that probably sounded exciting back when it was released but now seems dopey and dated.

And there's some a cappella version of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" sung by a girl group that always makes me sick. I hear it one the radio during the Christmas season but I don't think I've ever heard the name of the group who does it. Dixie Chicks, maybe? At any rate, it's stupid and I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 12812/05/2011

Yet another vote for "LITTLE DRUMMER BOY." It's sacharine and so repetitive!

by Anonymousreply 12912/05/2011

I love Johnny Cash, but his version of the Little Drummer Boy was just awful.

by Anonymousreply 13012/05/2011

Hate Little Drummer Boy. Its like nails on a chalkboard for me. Can't stand it!

by Anonymousreply 13112/07/2011

"This Christmas" - all versions of it! Soppy power ballad that managed to irritate me more than even Wham. Ironically, I don't mind occasionally hearing "Last Christmas" now since I'm not bombarded by it like ten years ago!!!!! But 'This Christmas' after the first year of hearing it at work, I truly hated that song and it will be quite a while before I change my mind!!

by Anonymousreply 13212/07/2011

I loath that fucking frog song. Does anyone else think Paul McCrappy is starting to look like Liberace?

by Anonymousreply 13312/07/2011

Speaking of Jingle Bells, do any of you guys know the 89 version! It went "Jingle Bells,Batman Smells, Robin Laid an egg; the Batmobile lost its wheel and the Joker got away!!! Coincided with Tim Burton's Batman and very popular in Ireland at the time!"!!!! This was the soundtrack to my childhood. You can take all your nations xenophobia into one complex rhyme and Bob's your uncle!!!

by Anonymousreply 13412/13/2011

Springsteen doing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" is absolutely painful.

Any version of "The Little Drummer Boy" with Peter Gabriel's being the worst. And I am saying that as someone who has loved him for years.

by Anonymousreply 13512/13/2011

by Anonymousreply 13612/13/2011

Does it ever actually snow in Africa at Christmas time or any time of the year? Do they know or even give a shit if it's Christmas?

Feed the World has got to be one of the stupidest songs ever written.

by Anonymousreply 13712/13/2011

Thank you, r127!

I thought I was the only one who loathed "Do They Know It's Christmas". I cringe every time I hear those utterly heterogenous vocals and meaningless lyrics.

Do they know it's Christmastime at all? Of course they do, it's food they're lacking, not calendars!

by Anonymousreply 13812/13/2011

Either "Merry XMas (War is Over)" or "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime."

The Beatles have a LOT to answer for, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 13912/13/2011

I do rather like Jimmy James' "Feliz Navidad."

by Anonymousreply 14012/13/2011

Jingle Bells, Santa smells fifteen miles away, Oh, what fun it is to ride in a broke-down Chevrolet.

Popular in suburban Detroit elementary school playgrounds circa the Mad Men era.

by Anonymousreply 14112/13/2011

When I was a toddler, I remember being terrified of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town."

He sees when you're sleeping. He knows when you're awake.

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha !

by Anonymousreply 14212/13/2011

[quote]Does it ever actually snow in Africa at Christmas time...

South of the equator, Christmas comes at the beginning of summer. It usually doesn't snow in Africa in summer weather. I remember when you were Miss Teen South Carolina, R137. Do you still enter beauty contests?

by Anonymousreply 14312/13/2011

Back when Macy's had a book department, I remember going there and The Nutcracker was playing. I went back la few days later to pick up a book I'd ordered and Nutcracker was playing again. I made a remark about how I was here before and the same part of the suite had been playing and they told me that was the only music played in that department. All day. All night. Every day for a month.

I would totally go insane.

by Anonymousreply 14412/13/2011

In South Africa, where I live, its blazing sunshine now. This does not stop the shopping malls from laying it on thick for a 'traditional' Christmas - with fake snow sprayed on storefronts, and a sweltering Santa in his red suit outside. The idea of a guy dressing up in boots and full suit in 30 degree (celcius) heat is crazy. My earliest childhood memories of Santa was that he always smelled of sweat.

by Anonymousreply 14512/15/2011

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

by Anonymousreply 14612/15/2011

R75 Never heard it before. Appalling. Thanks a fricken bunch. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 14712/15/2011

"Santa Baby"-it's about a gold-digging ho without representation.

by Anonymousreply 14812/15/2011

I never paid much attention to "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas." For one thing, I thought it was by Gilbert O'Sullivan. I found out on Datalounge that it was Paul McCartney's song. The virulence with which people regarded the song was funny to me, so whenever I was in a shop and the song came on, I started to laugh.

Now I actually like the song, because it makes me smile.

by Anonymousreply 14912/15/2011

Someone start a thread for this!! My hedgehogs keep dying!!

by Anonymousreply 15012/15/2011

Man this thread died fast.

Kenny Rogers' Christmas in America.

They sing it like it was spelled Amerikkka.

by Anonymousreply 15112/22/2011

I can't believe I have never heard of "The Christmas Shoes" before this thread. Gad. How treacly.

That was wonderful R120. The animation was pretty funny too. If you can't bear to sit through a recording of it - click on R120. It tells you everything you need to know.

I also had never heard Madonna's version of "Santa Baby" until today. WTF was she thinking? It's horrendous. Sorry - whore-rendous.

by Anonymousreply 15212/23/2011

Merry XMas (War is Over)

It always sound like a depressing funeral march. They should play for whenever world leaders, like Vaclav Havel or Kim Jong-il, die at Christmas time.

by Anonymousreply 15312/23/2011

by Anonymousreply 15412/23/2011

Most of you people sound like you need to attend anger management sessions.

by Anonymousreply 15512/23/2011

[quote][R78] - let's not forget "There'll be scary ghost stories. And tales of the glories of Christmases long, long ago" Who tells ghost stories at Christmas.

Actually, there's a very famous tradition of ghost stories told at Christmas, going way back into the 19th century in England and Canada. "A Christmas Carol" is the most famous example, but so is Dickens' other Christmas book "The bells," and Robertson Davies wrote an anthology of Christmas ghost stories, "The Merry Heart."

It's not a tradition in the United States, but that doesn't mean it's not a tradition in other places.

by Anonymousreply 15612/24/2011

There's a new contender this year: Michael Buble's version of "Santa Baby" changed to "Santa Buddy" and "Santa Pally" just so you won't think he's gay. Um, the whole point of the song is the coy flirtation of the singer using sexy wiles to get 'stuff' from Santa. It's not a great song but removing that aspect makes it unbearable. A male singer could do it in a camp way to make it funny but dull as dirt Buble is not the one to pull that off.

by Anonymousreply 15712/24/2011

As much as I love Kim Carnes listening to her groan her way through "Away In A Manger" is painful. They even force a children's choir into the mess.

by Anonymousreply 15812/24/2011

[quote]"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer." The cheap-ass cartoon is even worse.

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 16012/24/2011

r157, that's unforgivable, especially since as marriage equality proliferates it could very well be sung in the traditional way by a twink.

by Anonymousreply 16112/24/2011

Love Ms. Karen Carpenter's singing, but Merry Christmas, Darling makes me want to slit my wrists and/or jump out the window.

by Anonymousreply 16212/24/2011

[quote]"I'll Be Home for Christmas." Maudlin.

Because it was about soldiers who were fighting in WWII and couldn't come home for Christmas or maybe ever, dumbass.

In the original and correct version, it's "presents under the tree".

by Anonymousreply 16312/24/2011

Christmas Shoes. Its sad and awful. Also, why does the mom need shoes of all things to meet Jesus??

by Anonymousreply 16412/24/2011

This thread comes round every year and I look forward to it. One year someone said they hated "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" because of all the "diarrhea noises" throughout the song. You know, they were right!

by Anonymousreply 16512/24/2011

That awful friggin dog barking "Jingle Bells"...what an annoying song.

by Anonymousreply 16612/24/2011

I loathe Bing Crosby's "White Christmas." he sounds like a fucking lush singing.

I love The Waitresses' "Christmas Wrapping."

I especially adore "What Child Is This," but only when performed by The Jingle Cats!

by Anonymousreply 16712/25/2011

"He'll Be Coming Down The Chimney, Down" - Andy Williams

by Anonymousreply 16812/25/2011

I finally heard Christmas Shoes and agree it is horrifically annoying. Then a few days later I went to a fund raiser for a local charity and the entertainment was a theater group of the deaf and hard of hearing who did sign language to Christmas songs.

I nearly had to excuse myself when they started signing Christmas Shoes. If you think it is hokey manipulative bologna, then you have NO IDEA what experience it is as children are signing "momma's going to meet Jesus tonight".

I peed myself.

by Anonymousreply 16912/25/2011

Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley.

Every time I hear it, I get an asthma attack - and I don't even have asthma...

by Anonymousreply 17012/26/2011

there aren't too many songs that I particularly cringe at.. however.. at work they had a mix cd of both new songs and christmas songs that they would keep on repeat.. now.. most were okay.. but this one song.. I don't know what it is.. but it sounds like a guys sitting in the middle of the Caribbean trying wayy too hard to seduce someone with his god awful voice. Everything about this song is just wrong. Every time I hear the first hint of it, I want to rip my ears off of my head.

by Anonymousreply 17112/27/2011

That melekalikimaka song that's in Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Is it Bing Crosby? He sounds drunk.

by Anonymousreply 17212/27/2011

Hositle the Snowman hated everybody's guts

And at four foot three

Full of misery

The man was just plain nuts

Up and down

The streets of town

He shot the traffic cop

And he only paused a moment, to watch the cop, drop, plop

by Anonymousreply 17311/27/2012

I also vote for Feliz Navidad and Little Drummer Boy--both should be banned forever. I think torture would be to have to listen to many of the "songs" listed here without any indication of there being an end, which the month of December comes close to being; Jose Feliciano and Burl Ives at their absolute worst, not to mention Paul McCartney. Also, why is it that one hears "Jingle Bells" always around xmas time yet there is not one reference to "Christmas" in the entire song? There was also a mention of the Carpenters being a favorite of the "eldergays", well, I am 58, lived through hearing the Carpenters ad nauseam through the '70s and hated them then and hate their music now. Karen Carpenter is long gone but don't know about her brother, maybe he got gigs in Las Vegas playing the piano.

by Anonymousreply 17411/27/2012

The Carpenters' "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" is the only one I truly like. Karen's voice adds this tinge of melancholy that makes the song full of depth.

Yes, I know....MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 17511/27/2012

run run rudolph santa's gotta make it to town is hardly ever played but the other schlock is on a constant loop. tell him he can take the freeway down...and away ran rudolph spinning like a merry go round. speaking of rudolph, is it diana ross who does the reindeer roll call? rudolph, where's rudolph?? he's just such a fuckup shirking his responsibilities. ugh.

by Anonymousreply 17611/27/2012

Mahalia Jackson's Silent Night. The fucking bitch destroyed the pure simplicity of the melody with her over-singing.

by Anonymousreply 17711/27/2012

R177, oh no you di'int!!!

by Anonymousreply 17811/27/2012

The fraus in my office listed to an easy listening station that is non-stop Christmas songs from December 1 on. The station especially loves this hokey 1950s song about wanting a hippopotimus for Christmas and it plays several times a day. They also play 'All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth' at least 2x a day.

That station will be playing from 7am - 6pm every M-F for the next few weeks. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh.

by Anonymousreply 17911/27/2012

[quote]Merry Christmas, Darling makes me want to slit my wrists and/or jump out the window.

Then by all means, please do us a favour and listen to that song right now.

by Anonymousreply 18011/27/2012

R164 I'm with you there. The Christmas Shoes has got to be the worst. It owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 18111/27/2012

Baby it's Cold Outside by Colbie Caillat and Gavin Degraw - worst combo ever!!

by Anonymousreply 18211/27/2012

"Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" sung by Burl Ives

by Anonymousreply 18311/27/2012

R183 noooooooooo I love that one, From Rudolph.

by Anonymousreply 18411/27/2012

It will always be "Last Christmas."

by Anonymousreply 18511/27/2012

Last Christmas Christmas Shoes All I Want for Christmas Wonderful Christmastime Any little drummer boy rendition

I love the Carpenters Merry Christmas Darling.

by Anonymousreply 18611/27/2012

My friends and I have been cracking up for the last 2 years at Annie Lennox yelling "The Holly and the Ivy."

by Anonymousreply 18711/27/2012

Bruce Springsteen's version of "Santa Claus is Coming To Town" is godawful. The song is awful anyway, but his version is done in that overblown, raucous style of his that makes it sound even worse. But the song is terrible no matter who does it.

by Anonymousreply 18811/27/2012

[quote]Baby it's Cold Outside by Colbie Caillat and Gavin Degraw - worst combo ever!!

The version with Joey McIntyre and another male singer is quite good, actually. I was actually surprised how gay it was!

by Anonymousreply 18911/27/2012

r187, I have to admit that I do like Annie Lennox in the "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" version she did but haven't heard "The Holly and the Ivy", but I'll take your word for it that it is terrible. Generally speaking I can't stand Christmas music and always make my trips to the grocery store during December as quick as possible so I won't be exposed to the shlocky music they play.

by Anonymousreply 19011/27/2012

Dominick the Donkey. That is a christmas song, right? Hate that song.

Christmas Shoes should be boycotted completely and the man who wrote it shot - EVERYONE hates that song.

I love Baby It's cold outside. The version the Glee boys did was fab, cute video too.

by Anonymousreply 19111/27/2012

Christmas Shoes. It's the most depressing shit ever and the first time I heard it I had to pull over and cry for about 10 minutes. Precious shopping time wasted!

by Anonymousreply 19211/27/2012

I find All I Want for Christmas to be insanely catchy, much as I hate all of Mimi's other stuff. Sometimes I find myself singing and bopping along during moments of great holiday stress.

Christmas Shoes does indeed own this thread. It has a lot of company, but... it's the worst of the worst.

by Anonymousreply 19311/27/2012

There is only one valid answer: Ritchie Petrie's off-key rendition of "The Little Drummer Boy."

by Anonymousreply 19411/28/2012

Ugh it's that time again.

by Anonymousreply 19511/30/2012

This has been driving me nuts for several years--who did/what is the name of the song sung off-key by some little bastard intoning "Merry, merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas to youuuuuuuuu..."? I want send it to my brother to annoy him.

by Anonymousreply 19612/04/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!