Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why You Shouldn't Donate to the Salvation Army Bell Ringers

Many LGBT people are rejected by the evangelical church charity because they're "sexually impure."

by Anonymousreply 21810/21/2014

What's offensive is the thought of supporting virulently homophobic organizations when there are other, far more deserving charities, R1.

BTW, are you LOST?

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2011

Get the fuck back to million moms Facebook crowd R1.

They hate us, why shouldn't I hate them.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2011

[quote]Can we stop the anti Salvation Army posts especially when so many people are in need? It's really offensive and selfish.

R1. The Salvation Army is really offensive and discriminating to the LGBT community. So when The Salvation opens its heart to everyone, then I'll change--and not until.

However, if you'd like to give to those in need, there are countless organizations who don't discriminate and who could use your donation. But not The Salvation Army.

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2011

I don't waste the energy to hate them, R4, but I recognize their homophobia and thus choose other places for my donations.

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2011

R1, no, we can't stop. You're a fucking moron.

There are plenty of charities to give to that aren't supporting right-wing hate groups.

Fucking wake up and engage your brain for a change before posting such assinine stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 711/29/2011

If you give to Salvation Army, you are a [italic]horrible[/italic] person.

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2011

You might as well just hand the money to James Dobson personally.

Money donated to any Evangelical Church (Salvation Army, World Vision etc.) comes right back to the Gay community as hate money. The WEA (World Evangelical Association) takes 12% off the top.

by Anonymousreply 1011/29/2011

R1, R9. You can give to other groups who don't preach hate. Don't expect any support here because you decided to bend over and get fucked by a group who hates you.

Go tell The Salvation Army that you're gay and see their reaction or see how you're treated--after they've taken your money.

by Anonymousreply 1211/29/2011

Don't feed the trolls.

by Anonymousreply 1311/29/2011

I give them gaybucks, but I'd rather knock over their pot and mace them.

by Anonymousreply 1411/29/2011

I seriously doubt poor hungry people give a damn about the distinctions being made here.

To paraphrase Elaine May: “It’s a moral issue…so much more interesting than a real issue.”

by Anonymousreply 1511/29/2011

People quote 'The Beverly Hillbillies'?

by Anonymousreply 1611/29/2011

I don't donate to any charities. They are all frauds.

by Anonymousreply 1711/29/2011

If you are looking for a secular charity to donate to that does amazing work, may I suggest Doctors Without Borders ( Medicins Sans Frontieres) If you'd like to help "family", consider donating to PFLAG or the Lambda Defense fund this holiday season.

by Anonymousreply 1811/29/2011

Who helps the pore?

by Anonymousreply 1911/29/2011

I started the thread about this last week that got deleted and seemed to bring a flood of gay haters onto it.

It needs to be said: the Salvation Army is a homophobic organization.

If you have the means to give to a charity, then be generous. There are many other worthy organizations that don't ask who you sleep with before they help you.

I have given to the Rainbow World Fund; Doctors Without Borders (as mentioned above); and directly to shelters which help homeless queer young people.

by Anonymousreply 2011/29/2011

What part of there are other charities do these trolls not understand?

This isn't politics. The Salvation Army is a bigoted organization. If they were anti-black people or anti-women this wouldn't even be an argument.

Hate and bigotry is not politics or a disagreement. It is hate.

by Anonymousreply 2211/29/2011

The point is that the SA WON'T help some people who come to them asking for help. Not something Jesus would do, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 2311/29/2011

The Salvation Army will not help a homeless same-sex couple. And that is the sad truth.

There are many charities that help the poor that do not discriminate, including Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity. Please donate to them.

by Anonymousreply 2411/29/2011

[quote]I seriously doubt poor hungry people give a damn about the distinctions being made here.

Poor hungry gay people care when they are turned away.

I have personal knowledge of an SA facility that provides beds for homeless people and a kitchen that serves three meals a day, and gay people in need have to stay in the closet to get services there. There have been more than one incident in which another homeless person outed a gay person to get him thrown out so the bed was available to someone else.

They also have volunteers there from among the homeless, and they are coveted non-paying jobs, because being a volunteer means you get to stay inside and work at a relatively easy job in air-conditioning in summer and heat in winter.

And there have been volunteers who were outed and lost not only their bed and free meal, but also their job.

And yes, it's in a shitty town in a shitty red Bible-belt state, but if the SA didn't discriminate against gay people, it wouldn't happen, even there.

by Anonymousreply 2611/30/2011

Sadly, it's the truth, R24.

"I've seen the discrimination the Salvation Army preaches first hand. When a former boyfriend and I were homeless, the Salvation Army insisted we break up before they'd offer assistance. We slept on the street instead and declined to break up as they demanded."

by Anonymousreply 2711/30/2011

When a couple called Salvation Army to take away substantial donations of good household items for their store, they were told - when the truck arrived - that SA didn't take donations from "your kind."

Find someone else to donate to. Lots of people need money from "our kind" these days.

by Anonymousreply 2811/30/2011

I really do not understand the virulant salvation army defender on DL. We are not saying don't give generously to charity. We are saying be wise about WHICH charity you give to. Perhaps there's a high level SA "general" in the closet, posting on DL?

by Anonymousreply 2911/30/2011

R29, what's not to understand? There are on this board virulent Republicans, racists, straight men, straight women, Christians, and lots of people who either dislike gay people or are ambivalent to us.

The old days when this was a gay site and the only Republicans were gay, the only straight people were gay-friendly, and the only Christians were either gay or gay-friendly are over.

This is now a place with a substantial number of haters, and it should not be a surprise that some posters here don't care about discrimination against us at all.

And then of course there are also trolls who just like to post anything that gets a rise out of some of us.

by Anonymousreply 3011/30/2011

i guess

by Anonymousreply 3111/30/2011

Food for you have to declare Jesus Christ your Lord and Savior first, no...? OK starve then.....

by Anonymousreply 3211/30/2011

r32, that has long been the modis operandi of many christian charities. they in fact USE 'charity' to proselytize,

by Anonymousreply 3311/30/2011

[italic]On its webpage, the group claims that "the services of The Salvation Army are available to all who qualify, without regard to sexual orientation." While the words are nice, their actions speak volumes. They blatantly ignore the position statement and deny LGBT people services unless they renounce their sexuality, end same-sex relationships, or, in some cases, attend services "open to all who confess Christ as Savior and who accept and abide by The Salvation Army's doctrine and discipline." In other words, if you're gay or lesbian, you don't qualify.[/italic]

Uh, this makes no sense. Where's the evidence that they deny their services to gays? I'm suppose to believe this guy by his own personal experience? This means the entire Salvation Army denies services to gays and lesbians? Bitch please.

by Anonymousreply 3411/30/2011

Oh go back to the Free Republican R34/35.

DL is a gay board.

by Anonymousreply 3611/30/2011

If you remain closeted, and pretend to accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, I am sure they can be most helpful.

by Anonymousreply 3711/30/2011

Every time I see/hear a bell-ringer, I want to go up to him/her and say, "I have nothing against you personally, but I'm proud to be a lesbian and you're not getting any of my money."

Any other retorts come to mind, gentlemen?

by Anonymousreply 3811/30/2011

[quote[How on Earth do they know that someone is gay?

When the gay person tells them, say, by showing up with their partner and seeking help as any other family would, or just by revealing pertinent facts about their life, such as living situation, relationships and support (or lack of) from their family. I also wouldn't put it past a fundamentalist Christian charity worker to just ask the question, if they suspected someone was gay.

"How on earth" does anyone find out anyone else is gay? Why is it so difficult to wrap your mind around this? Many gay people don't hide who they are. And no, it's not "shouting it from the rooftops". It's communicating with people about who you are and what your situation is, like any other straight person does a billion times a day.

Do you believe gay people should closet themselves when seeking help? Do you believe gay people should be held to an unequal standard in the eyes of charitable organizations? If a straight person seeking help from a charity can be expected to talk openly about their families, relationships and living situation, why can't a gay person? I can't imaging you questioning "how on earth" they might know someone is straight.

by Anonymousreply 3911/30/2011

Any tax free organization should be banned from practicing discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 4011/30/2011

I love r39.

by Anonymousreply 4111/30/2011

I give $20 to the toothless, alcoholic bell-ringers who the Army (the Army) uses to pull in their homophobic millions) and tell them that I don't approve of the Army because I'm gay, and the money is for them alone to do what they want with, since they're obviously being used.

And they shove it into their pockets and say, "God bless." And it feels like a real blessing.

I HATE the homophobic organizations that idiots here insist on throwing at us as somehow good. Yes, the devil does all sorts of wondrous things in your little book, assholes. Bread is nice. But calling a good or at least neutral thing (being gay) bad is a mark of evil in the world.

by Anonymousreply 4211/30/2011

[quote]Any tax free organization should be banned from practicing discrimination.

I agree, and this should apply not just to charitable orgs, but churches as well.

by Anonymousreply 4311/30/2011

Sign me up, R43. That's why it's so laughable when Ron Paul says that universal health care isn't needed because Americans can rely on their churches and communities for aid. Not when they're free to discriminate.

Fuck the Salvation Army, I give elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 4411/30/2011

R45, quoting their own website is hardly convincing. What do you expect them to say? Even NOM doesn't admit to hating gays on their website.

There have been links provided in this thread where people cite specific examples of the SA discriminating against gay people in providing services. They are all lying, in your eyes? The gay people are all lying. The Salvation Army, which even you must admit, discriminates against gay people in hiring, is telling the truth. Right...

And you're sounding hysterical, btw.

by Anonymousreply 4611/30/2011

There are a lot of options to donate to, that do not hate gays or have to give 12% to the World Evangelical Association.

There is no need to give any money to the Evangelical Christian organization called the Salvation Army.

May I recommend SECOND HARVEST, who give all of their donations to the poor and have no religious affiliation.

P.S. TOY MOUNTAIN is one of the many fronts the Salvation Army hides behind.

by Anonymousreply 4811/30/2011

What is wrong with you R45/R47 ?

There is a long and detailed history of the bad treatment gay people have received at the hands of the Salvation Army. It has been a documented problem for YEARS.

How can you care so little for you own people? And if you aren't gay then please kindly go the fuck away. This is a messageboard for gay people, if you think gay people have a right to be discriminated against you don't belong here.

And really? Why do we give a fuck what their website says. It's their ACTIONS that speak louder than words, Focus on the Family will also claim they don't hate gay people.

by Anonymousreply 4911/30/2011

R47 I think we'd all be better off if you didn't come here and read this filth.

by Anonymousreply 5011/30/2011

I am guessing you guys give a lot to the Salvation Army every year without doing your homework and now you are trying to defend your actions instead of admitting you got duped.

It's okay, your heart was in the right place. Just give to a group that actually deserves it in the future.

by Anonymousreply 5111/30/2011

amen, r50. r47 is literally insane.

by Anonymousreply 5211/30/2011

R45 and R47, please go away.

by Anonymousreply 5311/30/2011

Then go somewhere else, r47. I am SO sick and tired of the freeper fraus trolling here. Go back to iVillage or Weird Nut Daily, ok toots?

by Anonymousreply 5411/30/2011

I think, as frightening as it may be, that r47 is actually gay.

by Anonymousreply 5511/30/2011

R9 and R11 are the hateful ones, giving money to a hate-group that promotes ignorant bigotry against American Citizens.

R45, take a pill. You're clearly deranged. If you wish to keep on supporting a clearly and vocally anti-gay organization, more power to you (however pathetic that is).

Sane people, and people of conscience will give their money to better, more open, more accepting, more positive organizations that don't perpetuate ignorance, hatred, or bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 5611/30/2011

R47 has to be a troll.

Nobody could be that clueless.

by Anonymousreply 5711/30/2011

Maybe the Salvation Army has become like an Evangelical version of Scientology, which would explain R45

by Anonymousreply 5811/30/2011

Perhaps. Perhaps they have workerbees trolling the net.

by Anonymousreply 5911/30/2011

I agree you should not give a nickel to the SA because of their homophobic practices, however, take that money and give it to your local soup kitchen or pantry. There is much need in your community - allow your spirit to make another choice and fight hunger.

by Anonymousreply 6011/30/2011

I think many of us do that, r60, but it's always nice to have a reminder.

by Anonymousreply 6111/30/2011

If you have the cash, donate money to the poor by all means. Just don't give your money to the anti-gay Jesus freaks, so they can take credit for your donation and get political power from doing that - which they will turn against the Gay community.

by Anonymousreply 6211/30/2011

Amen, r60. Wonderful local organizations which offer unconditional support such as Urban Peak here in Denver are a few clicks away. Local & direct is the way to go. With less bureaucracy, a higher percentage of your assistance ends up reaching those in need.

by Anonymousreply 6411/30/2011

R63, if the thread upsets you, by all means don't read it, but unless you're the webmaster here, you don't control who can post and what we can say.

by Anonymousreply 6511/30/2011

I suggest we listen to at least part of R63's advice: "don't fucking donate to them."

Well said, R63. :-)

by Anonymousreply 6611/30/2011

r63 has an agenda, that much is clear.

by Anonymousreply 6711/30/2011

Rants? Haters? Pot, kettle, R68.

by Anonymousreply 6911/30/2011

Sometimes we need reminding. It has been quite a few years now, but at Christmas a gay group in the Village collected over $20,000 in toys for underprivileged children, and donated them to the Salvation Army. The next day they were asked to come pick up their donations, because "we don't accept gifts from people like you." The bell-ringers are generally nice, innocent, ignorant people. But their church is hateful.

by Anonymousreply 7011/30/2011

[quote]They'll say the SA makes people fill out a questionare in order to find out if the persons requesting help are gay or non-Christians, so they can weed out the people they're willing to help from the ones they reject. Sounds crazy, doesn't it?

Doesn't sound crazy at all, given the numerous, confirmed media reports of SA's anti-gay, racist antics.

by Anonymousreply 7111/30/2011

R72 is not just a self-loathing homo, he is probably a freeper and needs to go back on his meds.

by Anonymousreply 7311/30/2011

R45, r47, and r72, there are plenty of worthy organizations that don't discriminate. Goodwill is another example. If you want to donate to the Salvation Army be my guest. However, I will not support an organization that would not help me if I were in need.

by Anonymousreply 7411/30/2011

And if you want to choose to give to an anti-gay hate-group, then you're free to as well.

And we're free to call you out as a horrible person for doing so, because you are, no matter how much denial you engage in.

by Anonymousreply 7712/01/2011

by Anonymousreply 7912/01/2011

Why are people insisting we MUST support the Salvation Army? It's literally a CHURCH, and a fundamentalist Christian one at that. This is a gay website. Fundamentalist Christians hate gay people. To those of you possibly confused on that point, please make a note of it.

There are plenty of worthy charities to donate to that don't (literally) preach a gospel of exclusion and shame to gay people. There are secular charities, charities run by churches that are inclusive of gay people, and, of course, actual gay charities. A gay group in my city organizes a huge toy drive each year at this time. A local gay bar had a food drive before Thanksgiving.

There are multiple options for giving, it's doubtful anyone is going to go hungry or gift-less this Christmas because someone gave to another charity besides the Salvation Army.

So odd that many on this thread are so stridently pro-Salvation Army, and I do suspect it's a concerted effort following an agenda. How do these people find us? So many right-wingers here these days, it's depressing.

by Anonymousreply 8012/01/2011

It IS depressing, but it means you should keep posting, r80. Don't give up!

by Anonymousreply 8112/01/2011

[quote]If the Salvation Army were the blatant, openly discriminatory organization that the crazed haters say it is, if they truly and consistently deny assistance to people because of their sexual orientation (or their race, or their religion or lack of it) then you can bet your ass that it would be widely reported in the media.

Why would we "bet our ass" it would be reported? Many things go unreported for years, especially when it concerns a conservative Christian organization. Hello, Catholic Church?? If a poor or homeless gay person was denied help by the Salvation Army, it's very possible, even probable, that they wouldn't contact the media. Such a person would already be quite marginalized and powerless, possibly not in the best health (including mental health), and more concerned with issues of immediate safety and well-being, like food, shelter and healthcare. And "the media", often in the form of an assignment desk drone acting as gatekeeper, is not always sympathetic to tales of woe from homeless OR gay people. You're quite naive to assume otherwise.

[quote]But I'm sure the haters will say that somehow there's a conspiracy going on that keeps the evildoing of the gay-hating SA under wraps.

The "haters", in your immature vocabulary, are the majority of this thread and this message board: gay people, at least the ones who are politically aware. And no one is claiming a "conspiracy", other than the standard secrecy, deflection and misinformation which most conservative denominations practice.

[quote]...all this talk about gays going to the Salvation Army for help and not getting it. Well, not everyone, gay or otherwise, who goes to the Salvation Army for help CAN get it. The reason is that a charity does not have infinite means to provide everything to everybody. They do the best they can for people, but sometimes the resources just aren't there. So if the stories of gays who don't get help from the Salvation Army have any truth to them, the lack of assistance has nothing to do with their being gay.

I'm sorry, what?!?

You're saying that it's normal for a charity to tell some people, "Sorry, can't help you. We're broke, out of food and clothing (in your size), have absolutely no resources to help with your particular problem(s), and no related or auxiliary organizations, other branches, or outside agencies that we can refer you to. Have a nice day!"

Perhaps you imagine gays are flooding the Salvation Army with requests for penthouse condos and designer wardrobes?

To my knowledge, SA offers food, clothing, shelter and employment assistance for those in need. They're a huge international charity pulling in millions a year. I've seen reports on local TV stations (frequent this time of year) where they profile a local chapter and they always show the huge stockpile of food, like a mini-supermarket, and the racks of coats and clothing for donation. I'm sure it's not easy to keep such an operation going, and the need will always outpace giving, but It's a little difficult to imagine a situation where they would completely deny a person in legitimate need because the resources "just aren't there".

by Anonymousreply 8212/01/2011

by Anonymousreply 8312/01/2011

The more people give to organizations like the Salvation Army, the stronger Evangelical Christianity becomes.

by Anonymousreply 8412/01/2011

Salvation Army is a sad organization. Half of those bell ringers are stealing the cash anyway.

They used to be worthy, back in the 1960's.

by Anonymousreply 8512/01/2011

The "Salvation" itself is enough to keep my ass away.

I really hope R47 is a joke posting. If so, I laughed pretty well thinking of a cubefrau typing away.

If not, then you really don't "need" to come here at all... so kindly fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 8612/01/2011

Hate hides behind charity.

by Anonymousreply 8812/01/2011

They are somehow making money from our prison system. If people go to prison, it's good for them.

by Anonymousreply 8912/01/2011

[quote]They are somehow making money from our prison system. If people go to prison, it's good for them.

The Republican agenda.

by Anonymousreply 9012/01/2011

[quote]So odd that many on this thread are so stridently pro-Salvation Army, and I do suspect it's a concerted effort following an agenda

DUH?!?! Yes, of course it's a conspiracy. The SA bellringers have invaded DL and are gradually seizing control of the threads.

SA officials are known to spend about 95% of the funds they receive in those little red kettles hiring and training foreign agents to infiltrate DL...

I read that on a blog, and I'll find the link in a little while. I have to go now, because the black helicopters are over my house again.

by Anonymousreply 9112/01/2011

You're beyond asinine, R91.

This is a gay website. Are you gay? Why are you here?

Fundamentalist Christians like the SA do not like gay people. This is known and a matter a record, and don't quote back their "policy" to us. Openly gay people aren't interested in hearing how they need to closet themselves and remain celibate to be "in good standing".

It IS odd that a gay website attracts so many SA defenders.

Again: are you gay? Why are you here? Are there any other threads you post in?

by Anonymousreply 9212/01/2011

Who IS r87, really?

by Anonymousreply 9312/01/2011

People who rabidly defend anti-gay groups, like the Salvation Army, do so like bunny rabbits blinded by the light. Logic does not work with these people, who are so ultra brainwashed in the name of a Skyfairy.

by Anonymousreply 9412/01/2011

Boy this charity is extremely homophobic... I'm glad I don't donate to them.

by Anonymousreply 9512/01/2011

Or, R94, they collect a paycheck from the PR firm they work for that was retained by the SA to "promote its image online."

by Anonymousreply 9612/01/2011

Bingo. Any good PR work includes promoting brand-positive talk online.

It isn't paranoia that posts you see here and elsewhere online is coming for someones PR.

by Anonymousreply 9712/01/2011

And R91 is probably one of them.

Deflect, obfuscate and deny, deny, deny.

by Anonymousreply 9812/01/2011

"You queers are going to hell!"

by Anonymousreply 9912/01/2011

by Anonymousreply 10012/01/2011

Your point?

by Anonymousreply 10212/01/2011

Because, PR shill, no matter how many times you post all over this thread, you're not convincing anyone that the Salvation Army isn't a criminal enterprise run by smug, self-righteous bigots tarted up as a "charity." Fuck them, and fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 10412/01/2011

It's been quite a while since we had such a pugnacious and puzzling troll as this salvation army defender.

by Anonymousreply 10712/01/2011

, "you're not convincing anyone that the Salvation Army isn't a criminal enterprise run by smug, self-righteous bigots tarted up as a "charity."

The Salvation Army is a "criminal enterprise?" Goddamn, you are one crazy son of a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 10812/01/2011

I agree, R107.

And R106, I agree with you as well and wish the troll would listen.

by Anonymousreply 10912/01/2011

huh? You make no sense, r109.

by Anonymousreply 11012/02/2011

R109 makes perfect sense. What word aren't you understanding, dear?

by Anonymousreply 11112/02/2011

Agreeing that r104 should go get bashed is NOT agreeing with r107. Care to explain?

by Anonymousreply 11212/02/2011

Okay, let's recap for the reading comprehension challenged.

First, R107 posted this:

[quote]It's been quite a while since we had such a pugnacious and puzzling troll as this salvation army defender.

And R106 posted this:

F&F for you, R105. Leave this forum and don't ever come back.

About what R105 said, which was this:

[quote]Go get bashed R104

Okay. That's the history. Then R109 said they agreed with R107... that it HAS been quite a while since we had such a pugnacious and puzzling troll as this salvation army defender.

Then they agreed with R106, that the poster who said "Go get bashed" should be F&F'd, and should leave the forum and not come back... because using "gay bashing" terminology in a gay forum isn't acceptable, ever.

So, I'm struggling to figure out why you're confused. It's all very straight forward.

by Anonymousreply 11412/02/2011

R113, no, Liberals are very good at recognizing good behavior and calling out bad behavior.

Conservatives are very good at bad behavior, and then trying to rationalize it, and then whining when they get caught.

by Anonymousreply 11512/02/2011

Nice try r118.

by Anonymousreply 11912/02/2011

Please don't feed the freeptards.

by Anonymousreply 12012/02/2011

[quote] if you don't like the Salvation Army then don't fucking donate to them.

Did you somehow miss the title of the thread???

by Anonymousreply 12112/02/2011

r117, they have done good things. For straight people. Are you saying it's ok to discriminate against gay people as long as straight people are getting something out of it?

by Anonymousreply 12212/02/2011

What lies and slander?

Nothing said in this thread is untrue. Linking to their PR website verbiage proves NOTHING. Linking to peoples' actual negative experiences and anecdotes is way more convincing.

by Anonymousreply 12412/02/2011

Fuk them and the bells they obnoxiously ring.

by Anonymousreply 12512/02/2011

[quote]and shut the fuck up with all the lies and slander and insane accusations against them.

Lies and slander?

Here's what we know about the SA:

1) They are a conservative, fundamentalist Christian church that runs a charity. This means they take the bible literally and believe that gay people are, at best, damaged goods.

2) They expect gay people to closet themselves and remain celibate, in order to be "right with God". They do not support gay relationships, partners or families. They believe that acting on a gay orientation is sinful and strongly preach against it, like every other conservative, fundamentalist Christian church on Earth.

***Just an aside, R123 and the rest of the SA defenders: do YOU agree with their stance I just explained above?n Do you agree gays should closet themselves and remain celibate?

3) They are on record in multiple instances as being against gay marriage and equal rights for gay people. Examples:

-They opposed a law in New York that would have forced them to offer benefits to same-sex partners and threatened to close all their soup kitchens if it passed (that's what Jesus would do, right?)

-They cut a backroom deal with the Bush administration to deny funds earmarked for charities to states that prohibit anti-gay hiring and discrimination.

-They actively lobbied against gay rights legislation in the UK and New Zealand.

ALL of the above is a matter of record. These are facts publicly acknowledged by the Salvation Army, available to anyone with the intelligence to conduct an online search.

Now what was that about "insane accusations"? Pot, meet kettle. It's pretty clear to the majority which side sounds saner in this argument.

Some more facts: SA isn't the only charity in the world that helps the poor and needy. There are dozens if not hundreds in every corner of the US, run by affirming and accepting churches, secular groups and (YES!) gay organizations. There is no reason to believe that boycotting the SA hurts poor people, because there are multiple alternatives to supporting this bigoted, backwards church that stands against equal rights.

The only conclusion to draw, given these facts, is that the people stridently defending the SA against all this clear-cut evidence must be conservative, fundamentalist Christians themselves, or else seriously ignorant, mindless buffoons.

One last fact, in case some of you missed it on the way here from wherever you came from: DATALOUNGE is a gay website, for gay people, the vast majority of whom are to the left of the political spectrum, and committed to living open, honest and affirming lives of integrity. Take your closet case mentality (if that's where you're coming from) and kindly shove it. If you're just a garden variety homophobe, you can also fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 12612/02/2011

Summary of this thread:

The Salvation Army is horribly homophobic.

A few people on Datalounge are also homophobic.

A few people on this thread are defending the Salvation Army.

End of thread.

by Anonymousreply 12712/02/2011

I have told several bell ringers why I prefer to give to other charities. There's absolutely no reason to support the SA if you want to help those less fortunate.

by Anonymousreply 12812/02/2011

r127, what's YOUR damage?

Stop posting on this thread and it will stop being active. Why do you care if we engage a troll or two about a relevant topic this time of year?

by Anonymousreply 12912/02/2011

[quote]consider the good they have done

Yes, and Hitler was an animal lover and a vegetarian.

by Anonymousreply 13012/02/2011

But they are Satan, they are Satan in Santa clothes.

Please, the hateful churches are still reeking havoc on us, nobody has put the brakes on them. SA is an extension of their skewed philosophy.

No dough from me, bro.

by Anonymousreply 13212/02/2011

Damn, R131. By your logic, the Boy Scouts are no longer in business, having gone to court to fight for their right to be homophobic. As well as having been exposed for countless episodes of rampant pedophilia.

Likewise the Roman Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Church, and every other fundamentalist church that, like the Salvation Army, includes homophobic policies among their bedrock tenets.

What alternate universe do you live in, 131, or maybe I should what drugs you're on, that make you think homophobia is not acceptable to most people in mainstream society in the US?

by Anonymousreply 13312/02/2011

by Anonymousreply 13412/02/2011

Print up fake gay money, with a message on it, from your computer, R135 and put it in the box, so the brainwashed SA members will have to read why this is not a real $10.

by Anonymousreply 13612/03/2011

I hate those fucking bellringers. I just walked by one and she looked like she'd rather be anywhere else.

I also hate anyone else who sells/solicits in front of a store. Fuck, leave me alone. I'll donate when and where I see fit and I don't want to be confronted at traffic lights or in front of stores.

Didn't Target get a bunch of shit for banning them?

by Anonymousreply 13712/03/2011

Is this your homework for your "ex-gay" therapy, SA troll?

by Anonymousreply 13912/03/2011

I refuse to give money to those panhandlers.

by Anonymousreply 14012/03/2011

This thread is so incredibly offensive.

by Anonymousreply 14112/03/2011

You're repeating yourself, R141. Move along.

by Anonymousreply 14212/03/2011

[quote]Print up fake gay money, with a message on it

I love this idea! I'll copy a bunch of twenties, write on each one, "GAY DOLLARS you could have received" to keep in my wallet!

by Anonymousreply 14312/03/2011

r141 is offensive/

by Anonymousreply 14412/04/2011

They start too early anyway.

by Anonymousreply 14512/05/2011

The only thing incredibly offensive about this thread is all the posters attempting to shame gay people into supporting a homophobic church that actively lobbies against gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 14612/05/2011

Exactly r126. THAT is offensive, and quite frankly, inexplicable.

by Anonymousreply 14712/05/2011

Nobody is shaming Gay people into supporting a homophobic church. Shame does not work when being used by anti-gay bigots.

Anyone who supports the Salvations Army is an anti-gay bigot - CASE CLOSED!

The entire Gay community is on board, with full support from the Gay media, like Advocate, Washington Blade, Xtra, Stonewall UK etc. etc.

Grow a pair!

R143 has the right idea.

by Anonymousreply 14812/05/2011

In Canada, religious groups can get dispensation from anti-discrimination laws (i.e. catholic church discriminating against women as priests). The Salvation Army has not applied for that dispensation with regards to gays, in fact they have enshrined gay equality (and same sex benefits) in their employment policy.

Go figure?

by Anonymousreply 14912/05/2011

A lot of cool straight people are getting it too, but still plenty of people have no idea how anti-gay SA is.

by Anonymousreply 15012/05/2011

[quote]Nobody is shaming Gay people into supporting a homophobic church.

Have you read the thread? Plenty of posters are attempting just that.

by Anonymousreply 15112/05/2011

Attempting and succeeding are 2 very different things. Visit a Jenny Craig meeting to find proof of this.

by Anonymousreply 15212/05/2011

bumping as a reminder....

by Anonymousreply 15312/11/2011're a liar. And completely nuts.

Put your dollars elsewhere, folks. There are a million charities. It's just not necessary to support these homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 15412/11/2011

149 is a liar.

154 is a sage.

Which would you rather follow? A liar or a sage?

by Anonymousreply 15512/11/2011

Several years ago, there were gay dollars online that you could print out to put in Salvation Army kettles.

by Anonymousreply 15912/11/2011

Here is a sheet of gay dollars to donate to the Salvation Army.

by Anonymousreply 16012/11/2011

r157, you can still help the poor. Give money to a local shelter or charity that doesn't descriminate.

by Anonymousreply 16112/11/2011

by Anonymousreply 16212/11/2011

Jesus freaks always make excuses for hate. As Gay people have to live with the hate, we are not so forgiving of this bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 16412/11/2011

You are missing the point.

by Anonymousreply 16512/11/2011

Hate is more powerfully promoted, when coming from people who frame themselves as helpers to the less fortunate.

Drug dealers also do this, by giving out free turkeys at Xmas, so soften their image. They don't promote they are drug dealers while giving away the free stuff, but everyone knows.

by Anonymousreply 16612/11/2011

R158? You're living in denial. Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 16712/11/2011

My parents donated to Doctors Without Borders this year, instead of The Salvation Army. I would donate too, if I only had the money.

by Anonymousreply 16912/11/2011

r169. then maybe someone needs to give YOU a little help this year, honey. And then once you are out of school you can pay it forward. Your generosity of spirit comes through your post.

by Anonymousreply 17012/11/2011

It is not a good deed R168. It is evil trying to soften it's image for the sole purpose of self preservation - to be allowed to continue its evil ways. That is why it makes a BIG difference where the turkey comes from.

by Anonymousreply 17112/11/2011

You can give $$$ to a better charity than SA. That is the point, r172.

by Anonymousreply 17312/11/2011

by Anonymousreply 17412/12/2011

I promised myself I would never take any of this out on the bellringers, who aren't necessarily directly involved in the cult's bigotry. But the (normal for me) act of wishing them 'happy holidays' is now being answered with anger: i.e. "it's CHRISTMAS and it's the SAVIOR's BIRTHDAY!!" Screw 'em.

by Anonymousreply 17512/12/2011

Arizona, R176, and I've been on friendly terms with...while never giving to...the bellringers at the post office where I go daily and at a grocery store. Clearly, with this year, we're into the era of push back on the non-existent 'war on Christmas.' Sad, really.

by Anonymousreply 17712/12/2011

There are plenty of other charities to give to this time of year. I don't know why the crazed SA defenders can't fathom this. Give to a charity that doesn't actively fight against your equal rights.

by Anonymousreply 17812/12/2011

by Anonymousreply 17912/13/2011

The Salvation Army's Red Kettle bell ringers have become a truly iconic part of the holiday shopping season. However, many lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights advocates are now calling for shoppers to skip the donation buckets due to the organization's conservative view of homosexuality.

"The Salvation Army has a history of active discrimination against gays and lesbians. While you might think you're helping the hungry and homeless by dropping a few dollars in the bright red buckets, not everyone can share in the donations," Bil Browning notes on The Bilerico Project. "The organization also has a record of actively lobbying governments worldwide for anti-gay policies -- including an attempt to make consensual gay sex illegal."

by Anonymousreply 18112/17/2011

I can't imagine why any gay person, or any person who knows and loves gay people, would ever donate to these anti-gay assholes, when there are so many other options available.

by Anonymousreply 18212/17/2011

Salvation Army = Hate Group

by Anonymousreply 18312/18/2011

timely bellringing bump

by Anonymousreply 18412/21/2011

Finally!!! the General Public is starting to wise up to this Hate Group.

Donations have dropped 31% this year.....69% to go......

by Anonymousreply 18512/21/2011

Doctor, heal thyself. ^^^^^^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 18712/21/2011

The economy is always the excuse used to cover up real problems, General Motors used it for years as does Netflix now.

No other major charity is down 31%, just he Salvation Army. It has nothing do to with the economy. The exposure of this hateful organization is finally paying dividends.

by Anonymousreply 18812/21/2011

Theres no fool like a stubborn fool. Continue to breed hate for yourself then.

by Anonymousreply 19012/21/2011

I sense no hate from them at all. They are a loving organization and they accept me.

by Anonymousreply 19112/21/2011

I do need to say that I completely respect those people who do not give to the SA. My experience may have been very different then theirs and I do not judge you at all. I completely respect and understand your stance.

by Anonymousreply 19212/21/2011

You're pathetic, R186. You haven't convinced a single gay person on here, and you never will, even if you're abetted by some weird-ass troll playing both sides and stirring up rancor.

As much as I loathe people like you (and I do, every bit as much as you loathe us), I would never spend my days posting hate-speech on one of your illiterate kkkristian sites.

What the fuck happened to you to damage you so badly?

by Anonymousreply 19312/21/2011

Are you gay, R188? Why do you come to a gay website and proudly proclaim your support for a fundamentalist Christian group that fights against gay rights?

There are multiple charities that help those in need at Christmas and throughout the year; there are multiple alternatives to the Salvation Army for anyone looking to donate something at this time of year. Why do you so stridently insist on supporting an anti-gay group above all others? What's wrong with Goodwill or the Red Cross or any of probably dozens of local charities in your neck of the woods? My city has a gay group that does a toy and clothing drive. A gay bar near me collects can goods, like millions of other small businesses and community organizations do this time of year. I'm sure there are many similar examples near you as well, including churches and religious charities that are welcoming and affirming of gay people and their relationships. You should check some of these groups out.

The random posts popping up proclaiming the Salvation Army the one and only charity to give to at Christmas time seem so out of place on a a gay, largely progressive website like Datalounge. I know we have our right-wing oddballs but this particular agenda is very strange.

by Anonymousreply 19412/21/2011

I think R194 means "are you Gay R186"

Obviously not, Christians Gay bashing on DL is a regular Christmas tradition. It happens every year.

by Anonymousreply 19512/21/2011

by Anonymousreply 19612/21/2011

1. When New Zealand considered passage of the Homosexual Law Reform Act in 1986, the Salvation Army collected signatures in an attempt to get the legislation killed. The act decriminalized consensual sex between gay men. The measure passed over the charity's objections.

2. In the United Kingdom, the Salvation Army actively pushed passage of an amendment to the Local Government Act. The amendment stated that local authorities "shall not intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality" or "promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship." The law has since been repealed, but it led many schools and colleges to close LGBT student organizations out of fear they'd lose their government funding.

3. In 2001, the organization tried to extract a resolution from the White House that they could ignore local non-discrimination laws that protected LGBT people. While the commitment would have applied to all employees, the group claimed that it needed the resolution so it "did not have to ordain sexually active gay ministers and did not have to provide medical benefits to the same-sex partners of employees." After lawmakers and civil rights activists revealed the Salvation Army's active resistance to non-discrimination laws, the White House admitted the charity was seeking the exemptions.

4. Also in 2001, the evangelical charity actively lobbied to change how the Bush administration would distribute over $24 billion in grants and tax deductions by urging the White House deny funding to any cities or states that included LGBT non-discrimination laws. Ari Fleischer, White House press secretary, issued a statement saying the administration was denying a "regulation sought by the church to protect the right of taxpayer-funded religious organizations to discriminate against homosexuals."

5. In 2004, the Salvation Army threatened to close all their soup kitchens in New York City to protest the city's decision to require all vendors and charities doing business with the city to adhere to all civil rights laws. The organization balked at having to treat gay employees equal to straight employees.

by Anonymousreply 19712/22/2011

thanks, r197.

by Anonymousreply 19912/22/2011

You are the only problem on this thread R200.

by Anonymousreply 20112/22/2011

Why are we still discussing this? Especially during this beautiful Holiday season when so many people are in need. I have always donated to them and I will continue to donate to them. That is is how I have chosen to help the needy. Your constant negative posts aren't going to change anyone's mind.

by Anonymousreply 20212/22/2011

The Salvation Army shill comes on here to call us all liars? Is that the best you have, shill? What an amateur.

by Anonymousreply 20312/22/2011

You are going to miss your Focus on the Family meeting R202.

This thread is just a reflection of what the mainstream media taking about. The Advocate, The Toronto Star, the Huffington Post likely have a combined readership of 40 million people. They are responsible for bringing massive attention, this year, to the Salvation Army's long history of homophobic bigotry. DL is a fly on the wall compared to these guys.

by Anonymousreply 20412/22/2011

To those of you who still believe the Salvation Army is not homophobic, read this comment:

[quote]I used to be a Salvationist, uniformed, in the band, in Corps Cadets as an honour student, in Songsters, Sunday School teacher and Youth Group member, but then my sexuality surfaced. Once they found out I was Gay, liked Fantasy novels and games like D&D etc. they were all over me. I finally had to leave as I just could not take the pressure any longer. I do not, nor will I ever, give a dime to this organization. Work had a campaign for casual Fridays where you paid 2 bucks to dress down. When I found out the money was going to Sally Ann I withdrew. As a result of this experience I am now very happy as a Pagan believer and will never go back to the Christian faith. Actually, once you do a serious study of comparative religions you discover they are all the same at the core anyways. It is just how they are practiced that is different, or what man-made rules they follow. And before the Christians start going on about my being gay think on this. God made me just as He made you. How do you know, I mean really truly know, that He didn't intend for me to turn out Gay? Before you start quoting scripture, remember it was written by man with political agendas and also contains scripture dictating that Thou Shall Not Judge.

by Anonymousreply 20512/22/2011

Don't feed the kettle. It feeds the hate

by Anonymousreply 20612/06/2013

Sorry, Major Barbara at R207, but I can't let that one falsehood stand -- there are other charities that help those most wretched, including the homeless and mentally ill. I know of no instance where the Salvation Army is the only charity helping them.

by Anonymousreply 20812/06/2013

[quote]I have always donated to them and I will continue to donate to them.

There are plenty of organizations which help people in need and do so without the bigoted religious bullshit. Give to them instead.

by Anonymousreply 20912/06/2013

Dr. Joy Browne, a champion of gay rights, volunteered for weeks after 9/11 at Ground Zero working with The Salvation Army. If they were anti-gay she wouldn't have been there. They Army doesn't deny assistance because the person needing help is gay. I'll continue to give.

by Anonymousreply 21012/06/2013

Yet another crazy thread about the Salvation Army.

For the record:

With respect to caring for others the Salvation Army mission statement as of 2013 states:

"The Salvation Army stands against homophobia, which victimises people and can reinforce feelings of alienation, loneliness and despair. We want to be an inclusive church community where members of the LGBT community find welcome and the encouragement to develop their relationship with God...Our international mission statement is very clear on this point when it says we will "meet human needs in Jesus' name without discrimination." Anyone who comes through our doors will be welcomed with love and service, based on their need and our capacity to provide."

by Anonymousreply 21112/06/2013

So they'll feed gays but want to be able to discriminate against us in employment thus creating the reason an unemployed gay may need food.

by Anonymousreply 21212/06/2013

That's what they SAY, R211. In practice, it's another thing. They still refuse to help gay couples as couples.

by Anonymousreply 21312/06/2013

The locations in my area have went downhill=just can't find good things there anymore

by Anonymousreply 21610/21/2014

You are full of shit, R214, and should get back on the Free Republic bus ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 21710/21/2014

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 21810/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!