Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do people hate Nickelback?

And don't tell me it's because they suck. I want to hear a better reason than that.

I'm not familiar with their music at all and it just seems strange that there's this negative feeling towards them from, it seems, the hardcore rock types who think they're cooler than everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 5907/12/2013

I don't think I'm cooler than everyone else, but Nickelback sucks.

by Anonymousreply 111/29/2011

Chad Kroeger sounds terminally constipated.

by Anonymousreply 211/29/2011

They are the Creed of this unnamed decade. They are also overplayed and Chad's hair and cromag appearance is awful.

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2011

i'm guessing it's a fine line to walk in the rock world when you want to be both mega-successful but maintain your street cred. it's not impossible (ie the foo fighters), but the danger is that the fans that made you big turn on you when you become a 'pop' act.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2011

I don't think people hate them as much its said that they are hated. What has happened, is that they have become a punch line. And that's taken on a life of its own. Now it's just kind of cool to say that Nickelback sucks, even if you only know one or two or their songs.

That said, Nickelback is fairly awful.

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2011

They are the Hootie and the Blowfish of this generation. Hugely successful middle-brow pop-rock.

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2011

Because every song of theirs sounds exactly the same. A few years ago, someone took their song "Someday" and laid it over another song of theirs called "How You Remind Me" so you had one song coming from one stereo channel and the other from the other channel and you couldn't tell which was which.

by Anonymousreply 711/29/2011

I admit to being a loner but I'm fairly certain the subject has never come up in conversation.

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2011

That happened to Winger in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 911/29/2011

Totally agree with r6. Nickelback reminds a lot of Hootie and the Blowfish. Both bands sounds kind of interesting the first time you hear them, with a 'different' sound within a popular genre. But then they get overplayed, and as more songs and albums are released you realized they all sound alike. And then they start to sound annoying and a bit grating.

by Anonymousreply 1011/29/2011

I think the real question is: why do people NOT hate Nickelback?

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2011

They swallow?

by Anonymousreply 1211/29/2011

I'm not familiar with their music at all

you're an idiot

by Anonymousreply 1411/29/2011

[quote]Because every song of theirs sounds exactly the same. A few years ago, someone took their song "Someday" and laid it over another song of theirs called "How You Remind Me" so you had one song coming from one stereo channel and the other from the other channel and you couldn't tell which was which.

Ha, I forgot about that. I thought it was hilarious when it first came out. You keep waiting for the two songs to finally go out of sync with each other, and it just never happens.

by Anonymousreply 1511/29/2011

I don't care for Nickelback's music, but I'm happy they demonstrate that 'rock' bands can still sell lots of albums.

Although I don't like them as a band, I do want to fuck Ryan Peake hard.

by Anonymousreply 1611/29/2011

They play super dumbed-down arena rock that targets the lowest common denominator. The lead singer has awful hair and is ugly as shit, but struts around like he's Robert Fucking Plant.

Oh, and they're from Canada on top of everything else.

by Anonymousreply 1711/29/2011

Now I can see why the people of Detroit were so pissed that they were playing during the half-time show of the Lions/Packers game. Their songs suck and suck hard. It was nice to see that the lead singer finally got rid of his perm and now is straightening his hair with a flat-iron. He is still ugly, though.

by Anonymousreply 1811/29/2011

[quote]And don't tell me it's because they suck. I want to hear a better reason than that.

OP, not only is there not a better reason, but that is also the ONLY reason.

by Anonymousreply 1911/29/2011

I kinda agree with OP. I don't remotely enjoy Nickleback, but I don't think they suck so much more than a lot of pop rock acts today. It seems arbitrary that they are singled out like they are.

by Anonymousreply 2011/29/2011

Because their music sucks and the lead singer is a douche who drove drunk here in Vancouver and whined like a baby when he was caught and he tried And failed to use every scummy legal trick in the book to get out of it.

by Anonymousreply 2111/29/2011

Wolfmother is a pure rock band. I wish they were as big as Nickelback.

by Anonymousreply 2211/29/2011

Because they have zero talent and Chad cannot sing to save his life.

They wrote a few silly mall-type rock songs that got lots of airplay and successfully toured. Mediocrity sells well.

by Anonymousreply 2311/29/2011

[quote]Mediocrity sells well.

Yes. Just look at the 'music' that the average DLer likes.

by Anonymousreply 2411/29/2011

Nickelback are dreadful but I hate the over-praised Foo Fighters just as much, R4.

If you take away Dave Grohl's I-was-in-Nirvana posturing and his always-yelled lead vocals they are indistinguishable from Bon Jovi.

by Anonymousreply 2611/29/2011

Chad Kroger has dead eyes.

And he looks like a retarded Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 2711/29/2011

Agreed, R26. The Foo Fighters, and it's embarrassing to see people act like they are comprable to Nirvana just because they've been very successful Dave Grohl should've stuck to what he was good at: the drums.

by Anonymousreply 2811/29/2011

R27, Chad Kroeger is certainly no Kurt Cobain in either the looks or talent departments.

by Anonymousreply 2911/29/2011

R28 here. I meant to say that The Foo Fighters suck.

by Anonymousreply 3011/29/2011

Two years ago everyone shit on Radiohead - with good reason, but why go overboard about it?

by Anonymousreply 3111/29/2011

Radiohead have always deserved to be shit on. Thom Yorke is one of the the most juvenile lyricists of all time. The band has next to no songwriting ability whatsoever. The sad thing is that they are passed off as being thoughtful and artistic. Makes me cringe.

by Anonymousreply 3211/29/2011

Nickelback is like fruitcake. Everyone claims to hate it, but somehow it manages to sell or it wouldn't be around.

by Anonymousreply 3311/29/2011

Because they do the same song over and over. Zero creativity. Plus they are douchebags in real life.

by Anonymousreply 3411/29/2011

Thom Yorke looks like Clay Aiken gone to seed.

by Anonymousreply 3511/29/2011

W&W R35! That was hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 3611/29/2011

Me no know nothin but tell me what I demand snort snort not what you have tuu say snort.

by Anonymousreply 3711/29/2011

Other than the fact that I cane hear them five times in six hours going to Safeway, Target, Lowes, Walgreens and Walmart?

by Anonymousreply 3811/30/2011

I can't believe this is what become of rock.

by Anonymousreply 3911/30/2011

Well get a load of R32.

by Anonymousreply 4011/30/2011

I agree with R32.

I only really like 'Creep' and 'Karma Police'.

They're pretentious twaddle. They take themselves so-o-o seriously, so we're supposed to as well?

by Anonymousreply 4111/30/2011

I genuinely can't stand the lead singer Chad's voice. Like a monotone gravelly foghorn in a sea of mediocrity!

by Anonymousreply 4211/30/2011

Wait. You guys are ripping on Radiohead? Are you insane?

Nirvana and Radiohead are the only two "big" bands from the 90s that will be listened to in fifty years.

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 4311/30/2011

Nirvana yes, Radiohead no. Nirvana was the real thing, Radiohead are hyped up, pretentious shit. Kurt Cobain was a genuinely brilliant artist.

by Anonymousreply 4411/30/2011

ok computer the bends and KiD A are masterpieces. not pretentious at all you dont need to know fuck all about anything to be captured by the music or Thom Yorkes voice.

by Anonymousreply 4511/30/2011

A good rock band needs a lead singer who is either cute (Brandon Flowers) or charismatic (Jagger.) Chad is neither so therefore they suck.

by Anonymousreply 4611/30/2011

♫ This is how you remind me ♫ Repeat repeat repeat repeat. They suck. If you can't hear that, you may have a head injury.

by Anonymousreply 4711/30/2011

Here 'ya go, OP...

Their lead singer looks like a Special Olympics athlete and sings as though he is in the throws of taking a massive shit

Their lead singer also uses a technique called "scratching" when he sings. Thankfully, this technique can destroy your vocal chords, so he will not be singing much longer.

Their bass player literally can barely play

Their drummer plays like a drunken Meg White

Their lead singer is also their rhythm guitarist but he only knows two chords and hasn't any sense of timing

Their lead guitarist only know of a basic template for a song and has no sense of originality at all.

And, last but not least, they are Canadian. Rush is cool. Celine Dionne is cool. Heck, even Anne Murray was cool. Nickelback just ain't cool because they try to fucking hard to do so very little.

by Anonymousreply 4811/30/2011

OP, are you the same guy who posted this on Prince.org?

by Anonymousreply 4911/30/2011

Prince.org. Now there's a website with some crazy fucking bitches. There are some people on there who make the trolls of DL look like amateurs.

by Anonymousreply 5011/30/2011

If you say you hate this, you're a liar

by Anonymousreply 5111/30/2011

Likewise, this

by Anonymousreply 5211/30/2011

Chad Kroeger

by Anonymousreply 5311/30/2011

R51 isn't Nickelback.

by Anonymousreply 5411/30/2011

Because the singer groans in a loud yet soulless way, and the music is shopping-mall rock. They really are a Creed n' Hootie mashup.

Also there's something distinctly annoying about having to listen to overwrought emo lyrics in the 2nd person ("you this, you that, you, you) when it's a band or song you hate.

by Anonymousreply 5511/30/2011

R54, it's still the lead singer.

by Anonymousreply 5611/30/2011

If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forwards you'll hear Nickelback.

by Anonymousreply 5712/03/2011

Last post was a Dave Grohl quote....

by Anonymousreply 5807/12/2013

I'm not familiar with their music.

Op you have just answered your question.

by Anonymousreply 5907/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.