Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

HGTV'S Property Brothers

Another Canadian home show where a set of twins convinces people to buy dumps and then renovate. What the Hell is up with Canadians? These house are complete tear downs, most uninhabitable and they sell for $400,000 and upwards. Who the hell pays those prices for these hellholes?

by Anonymousreply 5709/02/2013

That goes without saying, R5.

Why else watch yet another home improvement show?

by Anonymousreply 611/26/2011

I want a raunchy three-way with both twins. They are hot.

by Anonymousreply 1812/11/2011

Why do you think they're douchey, R15? They actually seem pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 2112/11/2011

They can seem douchey, especially in the beginning where they take the couple to a million-dollar home that they can never afford.

But then they make everything better.

The more I watch the Kitchen Cousins the more I am convinced that they might not really be cousins or related in any way.

by Anonymousreply 2212/11/2011

Wow - Canadians have watched some pretty bad American TV for years and still we don't hate you. Why do you hate us!

by Anonymousreply 2401/02/2012

[quote] These house are complete tear downs, most uninhabitable and they sell for $400,000 and upwards. Who the hell pays those prices for these hellholes?

Well OP, since the buyers want all of the latest trends but can't afford houses that have already been updated, nor do they have the money for a new build, these houses are the only options.

by Anonymousreply 2601/02/2012

One thing that continually bothers me about the Property Brothers show is that the buyers often select a house that needs renovations all through the house, but only half of the house seems to get renovated.

(Ex: they end up with a totally updated chef's kitchen and dining/living rm downstairs, but there's never any mention of the grotty upstairs bathrooms needing a complete overhaul as well.)

I always get the feeling that only half of the house is renovated. That would seem strange to live in house with a modern/updated downstairs but gross rusty bathrooms upstairs.

by Anonymousreply 2701/02/2012

Totally agree, R27.

Sometimes they do mention that they only have the budget for one or the other but I haven't seen that lately.

Maybe they only show the biggest changes? I would rather do the kitchen and the bathrooms instead of breaking down walls or putting crown molding or fireplaces.

by Anonymousreply 2901/02/2012

". It does train you to see past the superficial and try to imagine underlying potential if you look at real estate."

Like DUH, how dumb can you be -- or ACT for the camera?

by Anonymousreply 3001/02/2012

It might be a Canaian show but it doesn't air on Canadian HGTV.

by Anonymousreply 3101/05/2012

It'market value for the city they are in. If you live in a major city like Toronto, San Francisco, etc. $400k doesn't buy much so don't think people are suckers as the price of a large single family home in say Dallas with 3500 sq. feet would buy a studio with 500 sq ft in New York. Many people sheltered from these urban areas face sticker shock.

by Anonymousreply 3304/20/2012

[quote] It might be a Canaian show but it doesn't air on Canadian HGTV.

It airs on the W Network in Canada, part of Corus.

by Anonymousreply 3404/20/2012

My issue with PB is that they essentially convince these couples to buy the shitty homes based on a visualization of what they can do for the budget that is easily affordable. Then the house costs 50,000 more than they thought. That may be fine if the reno budget was 150,000, but where it was 80,000 before the purchase of the house, it is fraud.

I know they mention, "hey this is going to change the budget", but I have never seen them say that the buyer really needs to think hard about the fact that they are now ONLY going to get a kitchen and the rest of the rats nest that they are now in a bidding war over is only going to get a nice cleaning.

by Anonymousreply 3504/20/2012

those Canadians have washrooms in their hoooses.

by Anonymousreply 3704/20/2012

[quote]These house are complete tear downs, most uninhabitable and they sell for $400,000 and upwards. Who the hell pays those prices for these hellholes?

No, they're not "complete tear downs."

They might be uninhabitable for you, but all that I have seen were obviously lived in (and not by squatters) up until the time they were put up for sale. Having been inside of thousands of houses, I can assure you that different people live in very different ways.

The pricing reflects the local market; otherwise, it would be more in the producers interest to buy the houses for $18,000 rather than $480,000 because the transformations could then be more dramatic. (Why, in Vail, Colorado is a 2-bedroom condo that would be rather generic but for its location priced at $5M? Why do 8-bedroom, 8-bath historic mansions in Detroit go begging for offers against $400,000 asking prices?)

by Anonymousreply 3804/20/2012

Need to consider house in objective manner, @ if foundation is good, walls without cracks plus a great roof most of those house are worth renovating (up to code)I should know husband & I bought a rental Bungalow that was built 1915, double brick walls, great foundation but needed lots of TLC. Paid $50,000 in 1990, front of park. 1800 sq ft maple flooring. A contractor friend replaced all ceilings & wiring, kitchen from 1915 era, plus new bathroom fixtures including walk in tempered glass shower with large towel cabinet. Added tankless water heater,central heating & high efficiency appliances. New front door/trim around windows (28 large),commercial Georgia pacific metal roof. House has recently appraised @ $180,000 lots of great compliments. Small guest house. A proud homeowner.

by Anonymousreply 3904/25/2012

Why is it that the brothers or any other shows, venture into a poor neghborhood? Why not try to do a reno in Bedsty? I think the work that the brothers do is all well and good, but I still find it hard to believe that they can do all that work in the time given and the budget.

by Anonymousreply 4005/01/2012

I you know anything about the real estate market is that it is a supply and demand driven business. If you want a house, you pay market value. The reason that houses cost so much in Canada is that we didn't collapse our entire economy by buying sub-prime mortgages that we couldn't afford. Our real estate market is very hot due to the greater prosperity we enjoy in this country.

by Anonymousreply 4206/03/2012

It could be that the land values of these dumpy tear downs are higher than the actual house. I live in a mature neighborhood which is sought after due to it's location and schools etc. The lots go for over $300,000 and alot of the homes are older. If you buy a new build here you would be paying more than 1 million. So it would make sense to pay that amount here.

by Anonymousreply 4307/10/2012

My sister lives in a house that wouldn't sell for 150 if the land it's on wasn't worth about a million. The buyer will, and should, tear it down without walking inside.

by Anonymousreply 4407/10/2012

"Another Canadian home show where a set of twins convinces people to buy dumps and then renovate. What the Hell is up with Canadians? These house are complete tear downs, most uninhabitable and they sell for $400,000 and upwards. Who the hell pays those prices for these hellholes?"

You sound like the homeowners-unable to see beyond the mess to what it can be.

What always gets me is how they manage to reno a master bath and kitchen for $40k....

Hubby and I are bidding on a house at sheriff sale tomorrow. Right now it does look pretty bad-but there are hardwood floors that with a little bit of work will look amazing. Both bathrooms must be gutted. The kitchen has an okay counter top so we will repaint the cupboards and put on new hardware.

The previous owner owed $78k and that usually means it will be available for about half that. We are hoping to get it for $35k then spend $45k and end up with a house that appraises for $130k. Keep in mind the area in which we live has low priced homes. Around here a $500k home would be a mini mansion. We currently live in a 7 year old 2200 sq. ft. house,3 bedrooms,2 baths,living room, formal dining room family room -full unfinished basement,3 car garage on 3 acres in the country. We just got it appraised and it was $145k.

by Anonymousreply 4508/13/2012

I watch the show but the breakdown of the segments really bugs me. They spend so much time touring the homes and showing their negative comments. They give the renovations about 3 minutes. I'm far more interested in seeing how they renovated such an ugly place. We get that the buyers have no vision; that could be short-cutted so that they could spend more time showing the renovations. That's what's interesting.

by Anonymousreply 4608/13/2012

Has to be Canadian Dollars because some of these shit holes have bidding wars. Oh and the reduced budgets are for dramatic effect. These shows aren't made for free. They have budgets and that includes adding into the costs when necessary.

by Anonymousreply 4708/13/2012

You do realize the Canadian dollar is pretty well on par,don't you?

The US dollar isn't what it used to be and Canada is the only country in the G8 that didn't close a bank thanks to the Lefties.

House prices in Toronto and Vancouver are the way they are because people want to move to and live in these cities.

It's supply and demand and it's the dirt the houses are sitting on that's worth the $$$ ,not necessarily the house itself.

by Anonymousreply 4808/13/2012

Where do these people get the money from? I don't thinl its real. The budgets would have to be cash budgets for the renovation since the mortgage wont pay for that. Si buy a gouse in a 250,000 neighborhood then spend 75,000 to make it look like a 750,000 house but at the end of the day because of the neighbor hood its still only worth 250,000.

by Anonymousreply 4908/21/2012

But are either of them gay?

by Anonymousreply 5008/21/2012

Another vote for Kitchen Cousins. The PB's seem nice, though, How they put up with their clients is a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 5208/24/2012

I've come to almost like the show, mostly because the brothers seem earnest and reasonably professional. They come off as far less flashy than so most HGTV/Scripps Networks TV hosts - who might as well be hosting a show about clay pigeon shooting or the home manufacture of cotton candy or Civil War dentistry. The PBs, though, are nmostly about the project at hand and not about hamming it up.

Their clients really are royal pains in the ass in many cases. It's rare that the initial "hard truth" of touring the dream house that they describe --but can't afford by a country mile-- makes any impression at all. When shown that their $400,000 budget buys a small, broken down hovel, they get uppity and start ranting that for a half-million dollars, they have certain expectations and will not compromise. They're firmly of a belief that their $400,000 is worth three times anyone else's $400,000.

by Anonymousreply 5308/24/2012

Call me crazy, but I think Drew and Jonathan are smart and sexy. Their clients are dumb asses but they handle them well.

Love them!

by Anonymousreply 5412/22/2012

I condole you, r51.

by Anonymousreply 5512/22/2012

I believe one is gay and one is straight. Its cool. I hate the brothers competing against each other, I like it better when the realtor brother finds property to fix up and then they work together to make it amazing. The new show stinks. I would like to marry the straight twin.

by Anonymousreply 5609/02/2013

But which is which, Barb in Wyoming?!?

by Anonymousreply 5709/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!