Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Valium vs. Xanax (Diazepam vs. Alprazolam)

I can have either.

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 4811/28/2011

I take Klonopin.

by Anonymousreply 111/21/2011

Xanax makes me sleepy. I am meeting my primary physician on Wed and I wonder if I should switch to Valium...

I don't take Xanax on a regular basis. I got 25 pills six months ago and I still have seven left. It's just for the occasional anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 211/21/2011

Yellow Klonopin for me, only as needed.

by Anonymousreply 311/21/2011

I second the Klonopin. Xanax just puts me to sleep, and Valium makes me weepy. Then again, these things are very individualized...

by Anonymousreply 411/21/2011

Stick with diazepam. I've known way too many people who got themselves into trouble when prescribers were a bit too free and easy with the xanax. There's a thriving market in "zannies" among the junkies in my city. They'll make you feel great but you'll be an insufferable ass to those around you.

by Anonymousreply 511/21/2011

Thank you, r1.

If I am given the choice between Valium, Xanax and Klonpin, I'll kall you.

by Anonymousreply 611/21/2011

Why either/or, OP?

by Anonymousreply 711/21/2011

where would Ativan fit in this mix?

by Anonymousreply 811/21/2011

I've been prescribed both for different problems. I thought valium was great as a muscle relaxant - for serious back spasms, etc. Probably good for some horrific one-time emotional meltdown/stress type thing. Xanax is great for more common anxiety and seems like a better choice most of the time. Just my impression from limited experience.

by Anonymousreply 911/21/2011

How does Klonopin make one feel, vs Valium?

by Anonymousreply 1011/21/2011

Klonopin is highly toxic and can kill within minutes.

by Anonymousreply 1111/21/2011

I have s script for 90 1mg of Xanax per year. I use .25 under the tongue when vertigo strikes (Xanax calms the inner ear), .25 for anxiety (not so much since I started exercising or .50 for a sleeping aid.

I am very careful using Xanax (or any benzo) as it is highly addictive and has really nasty withdrawl symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 1211/21/2011

Between those two, valium. Xanax makes me fall asleep too. My favorite is vicodin.

by Anonymousreply 1311/21/2011

R11

Klonopin kills in minutes ???

I take it all the time and I haven't died yet. I take 1mg Klonopin 1-2 times a day as needed.

by Anonymousreply 1411/21/2011

I take 5mg of diazepam if I get nervous before flying - Takes about 10 minutes before it kicks in and it works like a charm. If there is alot of turbulence, I take one more and will giggle like a big MARY when the plane shakes.

I take 2 of them and a bloody mary if I want to sleep through a long flight, but I do get a bad diazepam hangover.

If I can't sleep I'll take 1 and I am out like a light 10 minutes later

by Anonymousreply 1511/21/2011

One pill of Klonopin caused me to have a psychotic black out. I came to in the psych ward. Horrible shit. Xanax works. I take it rarely and a very low dosage.

by Anonymousreply 1611/21/2011

Mix 'em, OP. And triple the dosage. You only live once, and your well-being is worth the risks.

by Anonymousreply 1711/21/2011

[quote]Klonopin kills in minutes ???

No, it is perfectly safe.

But I have a choice between Valium and Xanax.

I have no interest in Klonopin.

by Anonymousreply 1811/21/2011

What are you taking it for? I only have experience with Xanax; I take it for anxiety and it's a wonder drug.

by Anonymousreply 1911/21/2011

Xanax is used more for cases that also have sleep issues. Or rather - if you'll be taking it to help sleep go with Xanax. It has the shortest biologic half. That means that amount of time for half of the substance to be out of your system is less and therefore you will not feel that hungover feeling (or not nearly as much) as you would from Ativan or klonopin. Klonopin has the longest. Valium is old and has many more side effects than Xanax. It also depends on the dosage taken.

by Anonymousreply 2011/21/2011

I'd go with Xanax if it's not an everyday, long term thing. Valium long term you can taper off and then switch to Benadryl. Not Xanax. On the other hand, Xanax is out of your system faster. This also means you may be tempted to take it more often, but you won't be dragging the next day.

Xanax is hell of more fun, though. You just have to be really, really careful not to get hooked.

by Anonymousreply 2111/22/2011

R4:

You nailed it. These drugs differ so much from person to person.

I instantly got a very nice high as well as a very nasty habit from Klonopin which for me has severe withdrawal symptoms.

On the other hand I took Xanax many times and never got either high or picked up a habit. It had no effect at all.

Be very careful with any of these drugs. Take them just as your therapist/g.p. directs. The first time you up your dosage on your own, get pills from someone else, doctor shop, etc., let your treatment person know or you are headed for big-time trouble.

For any out there who have wondered if their drinking habits are problematic, stay away from these pills until you have had a complete discussion about the whole substance abuse issue, with emphasis on your drinking concerns, with a professional in the area of substance abuse.

Cross addiction alcohol/pills is a big health issue. You cannot use these pills as a cure for a hangover.

by Anonymousreply 2211/22/2011

Ugh. I'm having a hard time imagining Valium as a hangover cure. Dr. Pepper and a B vitamin maybe.

by Anonymousreply 2311/22/2011

R23:

If the idea makes you queasy, then that's good. That's how a healthy person should respond.

Alcohol exacerbates anxiety, especially during withdrawal, which is what a hangover is. More alcohol and/or one of these drugs will ease the anxiety of the hangover.

The anxiety will be gone for the moment, that is, until you drink again, and then, well, you can see where this is headed . . . .

by Anonymousreply 2411/22/2011

r22, I use Xanax as a hangover cure once in a while with no ill effects at all. In fact, only positive effects like I no longer have a hangover. And I have never experienced "rebound anxiety" from it either. And I know we all have different body chemistry, but I have never once felt as though I were getting addicted to Xanax even when I was taking it on a fairly regular basis during the weeks my father was being thrown out of hospitals and nursing homes for bad behavior. As someone who has otherwise proven fairly susceptible to addiction, I had zero desire whatsoever to take it once that crisis was over. Maybe some of you are simply taking much more of it than is needed. My pills are only .25 mg.

by Anonymousreply 2511/22/2011

Also, r22, it was a mental health professional who suggested I try Klonopin for anxiety which landed me in the loony bin after the psychotic black out. My GP is the one who said to take Xanax if I was feeling too far to the edge. Shrinks are all fucking nuts and don't know what they're doing.

by Anonymousreply 2611/22/2011

R25:

Good for you. As long as you are on the alert.

Shrinks aren't up on the addiction aspect, often.

If you have addiction tendencies, make sure you have something going on for you in the area of substance abuse treatment in addition to the psychiatrist, such as AA, an addiction therapist, etc, especially if the shrink wants to put you on benzos.

by Anonymousreply 2711/22/2011

OP, love Xanax. Take one .25mg / day, Mon - Fri in the morning to survive my crazy ass office. It's the only way I can survive and not go postal. I take weekends off normally. Unless it's been a really stressful week, then I take two .25mg and a grey goose dirty martini.

Wouldn't trade em' for the world.

by Anonymousreply 2811/22/2011

Both are highly addictive and difficult to stop if taken daily for more than a few weeks. Xanax is more addictive than Valium because it's more powerful on GABA and much shorter-acting in the brain.

That said, there are some people who do take a benzo daily for years effectively without escalating their doses, abusing it or mixing it with alcohol or other drugs. Generally, these patients do not have addictive tendencies and are compliant with instructions.

However, because of the risk, most shrinks prefer to prescribe an SSRI, which are also excellent for anxiety, even though they may cause anxiety in the beginning. They also take a lot longer to work, but SSRIs are much more effective for panic disorder and OCD than benzos.

Bottom line is to be honest with yourself about why you are taking a benzo and commit yourself to working with a good therapist to overcome anxiety. If you have depression with anxiety (which is the rule, rather than the exception), an antidepressant is much more appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 2911/22/2011

R29

I have OCD and anxiety disorder.

I take 200 mg Luvox CR and 5 mg Abilify.

Klonopin is prn for sleep or breakthrough anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 3011/22/2011

R29 nailed it, I've seen A LOT of people get addicted to benzos they were prescribed be careful OP.

A friend of mine takes the lowest dose of Ativan for anxiety and panic attack as needed but he does not take it daily.

I remember he offered me some once and I said no thanks since I'd been drinking.

by Anonymousreply 3111/22/2011

What about neurontin for some of this stuff? It acts on GABA receptors, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 3211/22/2011

Isn't it great it when people like R29 step in and clear away a lot of misunderstanding in a few words.

It's what makes datalounge such a good resource overall.

by Anonymousreply 3311/23/2011

I'm the same way, R28. I take a Xanax every day; without it, I couldn't get through a single work day without cussing out my boss. My coffee thermos (which I sip from throughout the day) is also spiked with amaretto. I've found that being slightly "out of it" makes me a better worker, at least at this office.

by Anonymousreply 3411/23/2011

r34, you are heading for a lot of trouble. Are you looking for a new job?

by Anonymousreply 3511/23/2011

Oh please, R35. I've been working here for 8 years. I started taking Xanax about a year into the job after I nearly had a nervous breakdown. Everyone at this place loves me now (even though the feeling is hardly mutual, I'm able to fake it pretty well with a benzo-induced smile plastered on my face).

I get 3 weeks of paid vacation a year, and you can bet your sweet ass I use every bit of it.

by Anonymousreply 3611/23/2011

R34, I was doing the same as you for years.

by Anonymousreply 3711/23/2011

I only know about Valium, and in an emergency it's brilliant- so brilliant that it is dangerous and really should only be used in extreme circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 3811/23/2011

If you take Xanax daily for years and years, you're probably only taking it as a placebo now. 0.25 mg is a really low, low dose too (it will wear off within 2/3 hours).

Xanax also increases anxiety if you take too little.

by Anonymousreply 3911/23/2011

KLONOPIN!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4011/23/2011

r36, you've been at a job for 8 years and you hate it so much you "need" to take a benzo and drink throughout the day?

Why are you still there after 8 years if it is that fucking bad?

You are heading for big trouble. You need to deal with the problem instead of masking it with drugs and alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 4111/23/2011

[quote]Xanax also increases anxiety if you take too little.

Yes, it means you have a dependency and your body is asking for a higher dose. If you feed the addiction it will keep escalating.

I've heard the withdrawals (anxiety) from a benzo is ten times worse than the original problem it was prescribed for.

A cold turkey benzo withdrawal can kill.

by Anonymousreply 4211/23/2011

R41, the job itself is easy work that I don't have to take home with me. I'm good at what I do and nobody squawks if I take an hour and a half for lunch or come in 20 minutes late. I get along with everyone there as long as I stay half lit up all the time. I would not be able to deal with them, or the dysfunctional dynamics of the chain of command, if I were sober at work. I don't know how the others do it - I suspect that they either aren't very smart, or they stay as doped up as I do.

by Anonymousreply 4311/24/2011

How about some passionflower extract, a B complex and a jog? Sheesh...

by Anonymousreply 4411/24/2011

[quote]I don't know how the others do it - I suspect that they either aren't very smart, or they stay as doped up as I do.

Maybe they are able to deal with normal levels of stress.

by Anonymousreply 4511/24/2011

R43:

If things change in your life, remember that there are plenty of resources out there, including posters on datalounge.

This is your story, and everyone's story is different. There are a lot of people that can maintain for a long time until they can't.

It's just that a lot of us have heard similar stories many times, and the chapters that follow aren't pretty.

The best resource is the ability to question one's own decisions and to be willing to talk to other people about what is going on and listen. If you can do that, then things usually turn out all right.

Look at it this way. Think of the person you respect the most, someone who has his feet on the ground. He has a job, some success in the community, friends, and a stable life. For him drugs and alcohol are not an issue, or they are issues that he is dealing with.

If you told him what you have been telling us, what would his response be?

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 4611/26/2011

Please. There is no way a sober person with a normal IQ could put up with the cunts in charge of this place.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. I stay pleasantly blissed out 8 hours a day/5 days a week and the trade-off is that I don't have to deal with people micro-managing my time, or their stupid expectations of "productivity," etc. I try to get through life with the least amount of trouble I can manage, and try to squeeze a little pleasure out of life wherever I can find it. Nothing else really matters - after all, any one of us could be rendered worm food at any minute, and the whole universe is dying. I like to think of sentience as "God's little joke."

by Anonymousreply 4711/28/2011

Thanks R47. It's Monday, I'm well medicated at 2:54 pm, and have still managed to be productive and keep my 170K job.

by Anonymousreply 4811/28/2011
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!