Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I just bought a Cannon due to all the good reviews on Amazon

All the professionals swear by it. I plan on shooting my family on Thanksgiving for our Christmas card. I have all the details all mapped out from the tarp backdrop to the festive tablescape. Any tips from the professionals on DL on how to get the best results?

by Anonymousreply 4511/27/2014

a cannon? oh dear

by Anonymousreply 111/20/2011

Make sure the tarp is waterproof, as it will be easier to clean up the blood after you shoot them with your cannon.

by Anonymousreply 211/20/2011

What are you painting on the tarp backdrop? I tend to go for fluorescent beachscapes, myself.

by Anonymousreply 311/20/2011

There's gonna be a lot of blood splattered, so make sure that tarp is big enough.

by Anonymousreply 411/20/2011

[quote]I plan on shooting my family on Thanksgiving

Don't let anyone overhear you make this statement.

by Anonymousreply 511/20/2011

Once he sends out the cards it will be pretty obvious what happened, R5.

It's certainly a switch from the yearly family newsletter, I'll give him that.

by Anonymousreply 611/20/2011

[quote]I'm ready to piss myself reading this thread.

Please take a picture and add it to the guys pissing thread.

by Anonymousreply 811/20/2011

Be careful, OP! Mike Bloomberg is on a roll with terrorist threats.

by Anonymousreply 911/20/2011

Make sure you get the right sized cannon balls.

by Anonymousreply 1011/20/2011

I knew a girl who had a brother buy a Cannon, but then she and a lot of other people died.

by Anonymousreply 1111/20/2011

Hi OP. I have the Canon Ti2, and I just love it. It's a dream to use. I shoot in manual half the time, but the several auto exposure settings are great when you want to make sure you get the shot. Over the last two years, I have added 2 lenses, one a long lens and the other, the 50mm or short lens which is perfect for portraits. Make sure you do a practice run the day before you plan to shoot since it's a new piece of equipment for you. You don't want to lose shots or make a mistake when it's showtime. Have fun, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1211/20/2011

This thread made me laugh so hard my stomach hurts! O M G!!!

by Anonymousreply 1311/20/2011

Make sure you send a copy of the carnage to the "Awkward Family Photos" website. Those cannons pack quite a punch.

by Anonymousreply 1411/20/2011

the rebel is great. consider buying a strobe kit...

by Anonymousreply 1511/20/2011

The Pros rely on Nikon...always have. It is all about the quality lenses.

by Anonymousreply 1611/20/2011

I have a low-quality digital camera that I really can't focus - I was raised in the age of auto-focus 35mm cameras. Is there a decent digital camera under $500 that you would recommend I get as a step-up from my basic digital camera that might be better for focusing?

by Anonymousreply 1711/20/2011

OP, a friend has an inexpensive little Canon, and she takes fantastic photos with it. Very crisp, great color, etc.

And she's a total amateur. Have fun with yours. I'm probably going to get one, too.

by Anonymousreply 1811/20/2011

R17 -- Lumix. Has a spiffy zoom.

by Anonymousreply 1911/20/2011

Make certain there's artificial lighting up and off to both sides. And have the family hold something reflective beneath their faces, like mirrors or tin foil. A candlelit shot of the praying family seated around the turkey is always a crowd pleaser. My family had a professional shoot us like this dressed in Pilgrim and Indian attire. A mother holding a horn of plenty with her kids seated on the floor beneath her is also a popular motif. If there's a new baby, place it among the tables bounty.

by Anonymousreply 2011/20/2011

You will be posting pictures of your Thanksgiving shooting, right? You know that ol' DL saying...

by Anonymousreply 2111/20/2011

OP, could you please shoot R12 & R15-R20 with your cannon as well? You can practice your point & shoot technique before Thursday with the family.

by Anonymousreply 2211/20/2011

OP here. Geez, people, you knew what I was talking about. No one's talking about any killing. I just wanted to shoot them with my new toy on Thanksgiving since they're all going to be in the same place at the same time. Thanks to the people with serious tips.

[quote]My family had a professional shoot us like this dressed in Pilgrim and Indian attire.

How much did it cost, R20? I was also thinking about hiring a professional to shoot my family but they were all too expensive. Someone on Craigslist quoted me $1200 for a house call. Ridiculous! So I thought it would be just easier to do the job myself.

[quote]What are you painting on the tarp backdrop? I tend to go for fluorescent beachscapes, myself.

It's just going to be a white tarp. While I love beachscapes, they don't really fit the theme of Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 2311/21/2011

[quote]OP here. Geez, people, you knew what I was talking about.

Doesn't matter. You talk about buying a Cannon to shoot your family, and you're going to get razzed.

by Anonymousreply 2411/21/2011

I recently bought the 5D Mark II. Love it but it's a lot of camera if you don't know what you're doing.

by Anonymousreply 2511/21/2011

OP, you better be just another corporate shill or you are beyond douche.

by Anonymousreply 2611/21/2011

I thought about that approach, OP, but I couldn't figure out how to sneak a cannon into a faculty meeting.

by Anonymousreply 2711/21/2011

Oops, Fisher is my maiden name.

Dr. Amy Bishop

by Anonymousreply 2811/21/2011

[QUOTE] I just wanted to shoot them with my new toy on Thanksgiving since they're all going to be in the same place at the same time. Thanks to the people with serious tips.

Sounds like you don't need serious tips, you have a very efficient plan: just corral them all together and start shooting.

[QUOTE] I was also thinking about hiring a professional to shoot my family but they were all too expensive. Someone on Craigslist quoted me $1200 for a house call. Ridiculous! So I thought it would be just easier to do the job myself.

While $1,200 seems like a lot right now please know this is a very fair rate, especially if you have a large family. Part of the value of hiring a professional is the peace of mind that comes knowing that, should you be found out, the charges for accessory are much less than those for 1st degree.

by Anonymousreply 2911/21/2011

I have a Canon 5dMk2 and it's wonderful except for the crappy low-res LCD screen; in manual focus mode or video mode I never know whether my pictures are in focus or not. It's also a bitch to carry around and the lenses are all so expensive. If not for the full frame sensor I'd want to trade it in and get a Canon 7D instead.

I bought a Canon Powershot SX30 IS with a 35X optical zoom for tooling around with because it's so much lighter and more versatile than the 5DMk2; the telephoto is built in and zooms to the equivalent of 800mm, and when fully zoomed in it's got a nice wide angle mode and macro mode. 14 or 16 megapixels of resolution makes for relatively crisp photos (of course it's all compressed on a single little chip and if you take low-light photos or zoom in a lot the images lose clarity and look like Seurat paintings). It's got a built-in flash for emergencies, and I appreciate that the flash doesn't need to be disabled to prevent it from popping up of its own accord; if I want the flash on I just manually flip it up.

As to the Nikon vs Canon debate, I love Nikons when it comes to film cameras but for digital I find that Canon gives you a lot more for your money. I also recommend the Panasonic Lumix line of digital cameras with their Leica lenses.

OP, the white sheet backdrop for a family holiday card photograph sounds good; I would recommend taking the picture outside if you can (hold the backdrop up with a tree branch or attach it to a wall), preferably on an overcast day. Unless you have some off-camera photography strobe lights, outdoor natural light is going to look far, far better than any amount of yellowish lamp lights you've got in your house. Take it on an overcast day because the cloudy skies essentially become one enormous soft box; no harsh shadows across people's faces. Use a tripod to position the camera and set the ten-second timer. People will look distorted if the camera is set up too close to them (another reason not to photograph indoors) so ideally place the camera 12-15 feet away from the group and zoom in a little bit to compose your image. Do not use the flash unless absolutely necessary because it'll flatten everything out and create weird shadows and basically look horribly unprofessional. If you do ever use the flash, be sure to stand about 10-14 feet from your subject so they don't look like a deer caught in the headlights.

by Anonymousreply 3011/21/2011

OP, you should've asked for advice before you spent all that money. If you're shooting your family for holiday cards, I would've recommended an AK-47. A few sweeping motions and you'd be done. Now you're going to have to pour the gun powder, pack a cannon ball, light the cannon, fire, hope the projectile hits its target, and repeat...

by Anonymousreply 3111/21/2011

My(r20) professional photoshoot was $75 an hour and I have no complaints.

by Anonymousreply 3211/21/2011

I inherited my cannon from a Quebecois ancestor who used his on the Fields of Abraham. It's tres chic, if I may say so.

by Anonymousreply 3311/21/2011

Any news on the big shoot?

by Anonymousreply 3411/24/2011

It was a blowout.

by Anonymousreply 3511/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 3611/17/2012

OP, I'd pay you $1200 to come shoot my family -- quick, before I have to start Xmas shopping.

by Anonymousreply 3711/17/2012

Can you shoor a turkey out of a cannon?

by Anonymousreply 3811/17/2012

I remember this thread. It caused a wave of holiday spirit to wash through me, in the same way the first Christmas Carol will do...

by Anonymousreply 3911/17/2012

Does anyone have lens suggestions for a T2i?

I am still on the kit lens and it's driving me fucking crazy.

I'd like to get a nifty fifty, but I was thinking of saving for a decent longer range lens.

I'd like to shoot urbex, animals and some interior (still lifes).

by Anonymousreply 4011/17/2012

[quote]There's gonna be a lot of blood splattered, so make sure that tarp is big enough.

I wish people would stop stealing my bit.

by Anonymousreply 4111/17/2012

You like to shoot animals, R40?! FUCK YOU!!

by Anonymousreply 4211/17/2012

What's the best tarp to use to capture the most of my family's essence?

by Anonymousreply 4311/23/2014

Why waterproof? This is just going to be in the living room.

by Anonymousreply 4411/27/2014

Advice from a professional: hire a professional.

by Anonymousreply 4511/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.