Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Michelle Pfeiffer a gay icon?

Two enormous threads on the DL about her, never thought of her that way, yet, when I was an 8 year old wee baby gay and saw her in "Grease 2" and became obsessed with her and was so happy a few years later when she became a big star.

by Anonymousreply 6803/02/2015

Every aging female actress has her PR claim she is a "Gay Icon". It is a standard tactic on how to slow the death of fame.

Few of them actually are Gay Icons, but they want the Gay money as their careers fade. Michelle Pfeiffer is definitely one of these "I want the Gay money" types.

by Anonymousreply 111/20/2011

Yes, she's a gay icon. We are all Selina Kyle and Catwoman.

She revitalized an entire generation of gay boys to be proud of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 211/20/2011

First you're another sloe eyed vamp

Then someone's mother

Then you're camp

by Anonymousreply 311/20/2011

She hasn't reached "gay icon" status, but she is a new "DL Fave."

by Anonymousreply 411/20/2011

No, but she's well liked here because she's appeared in some movies that are popular with many DLers, such as "Batman Returns," "The Age of Innocence," and "The Fabulous Baker Boys."

by Anonymousreply 511/20/2011

[quote]Michelle Pfeiffer is definitely one of these "I want the Gay money" types.

When did Pfeiffer say she is a gay icon or pander to her gay audience?

by Anonymousreply 611/20/2011

[quote]Yes, she's a gay icon. We are all Selina Kyle and Catwoman.

Please explain. Seriously. I mean I understand it superficially, but did it really resonate strongly with some gay men, and if so, why? I am honestly fascinated by the Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman stuff on DL.

by Anonymousreply 711/20/2011

Gay icon? I wouldn't say that she is. I think nearly everyone likes her. I think DL really likes her to the point of wanting to get dirt on her. Michelle's just interesting, and extremely entertaining. She's a DL natural because she's so quiet about her private life. DL was always all about rumors. She's perfect for us! It doesn't hurt that she's Catwoman either.

by Anonymousreply 811/20/2011

Michelle Pfeiffer has never said she was a gay icon. She has gay friends and is supportive of the community, but she's not political or an activist. Michelle Pfeiffer is one of those actresses that most people just like. Whenever you say to anyone, young or old, gay or straight: Michelle Pfeiffer. They always respond with, "Oh my god I love her." Being a woman of a certain age doesn't make you a gay icon.

by Anonymousreply 911/21/2011

Michelle is actually very politically inclined. Maybe she doesn't go out campaigning, but she supported Obama, and gave a ton of money to him. She was invited to his dinner party. She also stated that she was Liberal politically right after 9/11 in a television interview where mostly every celeb was trying to back away from Liberalism because it was somehow deemed unpatriotic.

Michelle is just one of those women you know not to fuck with. Go watch "I Am Sam" if you don't believe it! lmao. (anyone have the picture where she's giving the finger driving the car?)

Linked is Michelle at the Obama event.

by Anonymousreply 1011/21/2011

Michelle is an anorexic coke head who is known for being a cold bitch!

by Anonymousreply 1111/21/2011

Pfeiffer's Catwoman is a gay icon.

by Anonymousreply 1211/21/2011

Maybe after she ODs or chokes on a ham sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 1311/21/2011

R11 is an anorexic coke head who is known for being a cold bitch!

by Anonymousreply 1411/21/2011

She's exactly 1 degree above me on the Gay Icon Barometer. And we're both way ahead of Kathy Najimy.

Doesn't do much to pay the bills, but thanks for the thought, anyway, kids.

by Anonymousreply 1511/21/2011

Her best performances were from the late 80s, when she was the biggest female star in America: starting with MARRIED TO THE MOB (the film that really got her noticed) and DANGEROUS LIAISONS, and then through TEQUILA SUNRISE (a forgettable, but she's very glamorous and compelling in it), THE RUSSIA HOUSE, THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS (for which she should have won the Oscar) and BATMAN RETURNS. She started to go downhill with AGE OF INNOCENCE and started turning in very mannered performances, but her comeback in recent years (mostly with supporting roles in films like STARDUST and HAIRSPRAY) has shown she's terrific.

One of my favorite things about her is she's really, really good at comedy. "The Legend of Miss Baltimore Crabs" is musically the worst number they retained from the Broadway show of HAIRSPRAY for the movie, and yet she's so funny in it it's probably my favorite part of the whole movie. Just the incredibly bored way she drills the kids on the rhumba at the very beginning of that number is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1611/21/2011

She was magnificent in White Oleander. Robbed of the Oscar, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 1711/21/2011

I know it never would have happened, but I thought she would have been a great Phyllis in Follies.

by Anonymousreply 1811/21/2011

Brilliant in Dangerous Liaisons!

r18, I agree that she is a natural fit for Phyllis in Follies and am not sure why you are convinced it never might happen. There is talk of a movie. If there is one and they cast a name I can't think of anyone better for the role than Michelle (sorry, Merylmonomaniacs; I love Streep too but she's not the only great actress in the world, not even the only great female movie star of a certain age who can sing). If that happens, Pfeiffer would cross the line between admired leading lady and gay icon.

by Anonymousreply 1911/21/2011

R19, I guess I should have been more specific, I meant in the current revival.Yes she would be amazing in a film of Follies.

by Anonymousreply 2011/21/2011

I did a seance and Greta Garbo came to me with the information that Michelle will play her in a movie called 'Garbo's Last Walk' and will win an Oscar for it. This will be around 2014.

by Anonymousreply 2111/21/2011

But what makes gay men identify with Catwoman/Selina Kyle so much?

by Anonymousreply 2211/21/2011

No, she is not a gay icon. She clearly has no respect for male sexuality or uncut cocks since she had her son mutilated.

by Anonymousreply 2311/21/2011

r22, it's an over-the-top performance, with a strong fierce female beating the shit out of people, delivering hilarious lines, and doing a campy 1920s Hollywood voice for all its worth. What's not to love?! Her character is marginalized like a lot of gay men.

Garbo did say that she wanted Michelle to play her in her biopic.

by Anonymousreply 2411/21/2011

r23, even though I know you're trolling, how the hell do you know about her son's penis?

by Anonymousreply 2511/21/2011

Selina is treated like dirt from the get-go but survives on her wit and her sense of the absurd, up until the moment Shrek throws her out of a window. When she takes on the Catwoman persona, she embraces her sexuality and her 'queerness' and even though she essentially becomes a terrorist, her adventures in Gotham and loyalty to nobody mirror the liberation of coming out better than any movie that's actually ABOUT the gay experience ever could.

Oh yeah, and Bruce and Selina's date scene is bloody adorable. She is so glib and hilarious, especially when she makes some catty observations about the Kim Basinger character from the first movie, just by hearing her name! How DL!

by Anonymousreply 2611/21/2011

I'm not trolling, R25. I am one of millions of people who think males should have the right to their full sexuality. Don't you?

And the circumcision of her son is public knowledge. It's been all over the Internet for years. Do a search.

by Anonymousreply 2711/21/2011

Thanks for the great answers. But do they just admire her or want to be her?

by Anonymousreply 2811/21/2011

What do you think? All of that and then some. Use your imagination.

by Anonymousreply 2911/21/2011

NO - she's too self concious. We like our Icons with inflated egos, diva behavior, sparkeled, over the top. She's too cold, cautious. And too thin. Feeble. Reighn on Barbra, Bette, Liza, Mae, Cher, and Bette, Joan, Marilyn

by Anonymousreply 3011/21/2011

Only effeminates like their gay icons garishly over the top. We're getting deep and meaningful here!

by Anonymousreply 3111/21/2011

Michelle Pfeiffer is NOT a gay or LGBT icon, and never has been. OP has got to be joking or high.

Pfeiffer is not for LGBT rights and doesn't give a shit about us or doesn't pretend to just to further their careers like some gay or LGBT icons do like Gaga and Madonna.

R26 has never lived in reality and took way too many queer theory and gender studies classes if he ever attended a college or university.

Batman and Catwoman are not about being LGBT at all and the TV show and movies are not about LGBT liberation at all.

I agree with R31, only effeminates even care about LGBT or gay icons at all.

by Anonymousreply 3211/22/2011

r32 has issues.

by Anonymousreply 3311/22/2011

[quote]I agree with [R31], only effeminates even care about LGBT or gay icons at all.

by Anonymousreply 3411/22/2011

You gotta love self-loathers.

by Anonymousreply 3511/22/2011

So a gay man or LGBT person is somehow 'self loathing' because they don't care about gay or LGBT icons?

Or because they just happen not to be effeminate, or think that they have to act effeminate just because they're not straight?

by Anonymousreply 3611/22/2011

She was stunning in "Hollywood Knights".

by Anonymousreply 3711/22/2011

Michelle Pfeiffer bump

by Anonymousreply 3812/07/2011

I was always wondering what's with the lesbian rumors and Michelle Pfeiffer?

This woman seems so straight to me, why the lesbian rumors, why the smoke?

by Anonymousreply 3901/29/2013

R39 What are you talking about? I've never heard about lesbian rumors with her. You must be thinking of someone else.

by Anonymousreply 4001/29/2013

She pings a bit

by Anonymousreply 4101/29/2013

[quote]She pings a bit.

Why? Just because she doesn't do the phony smiley and cheery shit that other female celebs do?

by Anonymousreply 4201/29/2013

No her mannerisms

by Anonymousreply 4301/29/2013

No, she is not a gay icon. Like others have said, she is too thin, cold, and self-conscious. She aims to please--an overly thin blonde who gives the come hither look when she thinks men want it.

Good grief, OP must be her publicist.

by Anonymousreply 4401/29/2013

R44, the sites that present Michelle Pfeiffer as a gay icon are not a few. For some reason i don't know there were always lesbian rumors about Michelle from the beginning of her career. Personally, she doesn't ping to me. She is not cold at all by the way. She seems sincere, careful and vulnerable.

People like Michelle will never be openly something so radical as gay. It will target her, and i don't think that Michelle would be satisfied with something like that. She seems very sensitive and she seems to need safety and inner peace.

I'm also sure that she can love a person who she can trust and who is working with her emotionally. It seems that she found that in her latest husband David E.Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 4501/29/2013

Nope. Usually there's more of an element of tragedy or something very interesting about their personal life. Michelle is way too professional.

by Anonymousreply 4601/29/2013

She was good, although miscast and too young for the Joan Bennett part in "Dark Shadows" but everything was off in that film.

by Anonymousreply 4701/29/2013

Michelle i love you touchy vulnerable cat!

by Anonymousreply 4801/29/2013

imo, she is GORGEOUS.

by Anonymousreply 4901/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 5001/29/2013

Because of Catwoman, a BIG RESOUNDING YES.

For every gay of the 90's, that was quite the moment.

by Anonymousreply 5103/01/2015

Who is the loon who's bumping all these Michelle Pfeiffer threads?

by Anonymousreply 5203/01/2015

by Anonymousreply 5303/01/2015

To me, yes. I know others tend to disagree...

by Anonymousreply 5403/01/2015

She's a grocery bagging champ!

by Anonymousreply 5503/01/2015

The kids like Michelle---Marc Ronson gives her props in Downtown Funk.

Why? Probably because she was hot, and then just kind of disappeared...

by Anonymousreply 5603/01/2015

Yes, I too find it interesting how Michelle is referenced in the young kids's music this day. It's nice to know some still care about her.

Wonder how she feels about it. I bet she finds it amusing.

by Anonymousreply 5703/01/2015

She always seems fun in her interviews.

I think this is the same appearance where Jennifer Saunders tells this amazing and hysterical story about losing her baby.

by Anonymousreply 5803/01/2015

R52, I picture an old queen who is still bitter his parents wouldn't let him play with Barbie dolls, so he's transferred his obsession to blonde bimbo actresses.

by Anonymousreply 5903/01/2015

She has hip, alternative undertones. I could see her working well with Todd Haynes.

by Anonymousreply 6003/01/2015

Michelle and Todd Haynes would be so great!

by Anonymousreply 6103/01/2015

R55 As former bagger, I must say that Michelle actually bagged the groceries correctly; Ellen was just dumping random things in her bags.

by Anonymousreply 6203/01/2015

R62 I know, ha!? And I love that she remembered how to do it after all those years.

by Anonymousreply 6303/01/2015

She does seem like she's fun.

by Anonymousreply 6403/01/2015

Frau thread

by Anonymousreply 6503/01/2015

No mention of "Ladyhawke?"

But,yeah, she was fantastic as Selina. Can't imagine Annette Bening playing the part.

by Anonymousreply 6603/01/2015

thank goodness Annette didn't end up doing Catwoman! One of those lucky flukes that was meant to be

by Anonymousreply 6703/02/2015

Pfieffer's also referenced in that Vance Joy song RIPTIDE. Interesting how she's been laid out as the standard of Hollywood beauty in both songs. I guess referencing Garbo or Monroe is passe.

by Anonymousreply 6803/02/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!