Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My sister has something called 'RSD' and posted this on her FaceBook wall last night..

[quote]Its hard to explain to someone who has no clue. It's a daily struggle being in pain or feeling sick on the inside while you look fine on the outside. Please put this as your status for at least 1 hour if you or someone you know has an invisible illness lik PTSD, Anxiety, Bipolar, Depression, Diabetes, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, MS, ME, Arthritis, Cancer, Heart Disease, Epilepsy, Autism,M.D. etc.

I believe she's got some sort of condition, but ever since being told she has this, a few years back, she's been a non-stop victim. EVERYTHING is blamed on her 'RSD'. She speaks about how she's "living with RSD" and how you have to be "brave" to live with this condition.

I don't want to dismiss all of these unseen illnesses outright, but there seems to be so many of them. Are they inventions of drug makers or things we always had but were never diagnosed in years past?

Either way, I just wish she'd get off her ass every now and then and stop moaning about this disease.

by Anonymousreply 6806/23/2013

A lot of these modern diseases are caused by the poisoning of the world's food supply. Modern wheat, in particular, causes a lot of people to feel very unwell. That and sugar.

If anyone has one of these kinds of illnesses, the first thing I'd suggest they do is get rid of these things from their diet. For a lot of people, this brings about almost miraculous recovery.

The book at the link is a good place to start.

by Anonymousreply 111/15/2011

RSD = Repetitive Stress Disorder, most commonly referred to carpal tunnel syndrome but not necessarily the only disorder of the type

by Anonymousreply 211/15/2011

I recognize most of the diseases and abbreviation mentioned, but ME?

by Anonymousreply 311/15/2011

ME = myalgic encephalomyelitis (also called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)

by Anonymousreply 511/15/2011

WHET to Epstein-Barr?

Did it go the way of the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 611/15/2011

I know someone who's had a few different medical issues the past couple of years. Nothing that bad. She got over them all. But when she tells me these stories, totally unprompted, she seems to be wallowing in victimhood.

It seems like she's looking for sympathy after the fact. I find it strange and bizarre. I try to emphasize the fact that she's gotten over whatever ailment she has. Then I change the subject.

by Anonymousreply 1011/15/2011

I have very painful arthritis (you'd never know, I'm youngish and look able-bodied) and anxiety/depression issues as well. I don't seek attention for these problems and I definitely don't post about them on facebook. I see professionals when needed, rely on a small and intimate support network of my partner and a very close circle, and do my best to manage symptoms. THE END.

Everyone has problems. Playing the victim over one's own is sad and pathetic. Your sister has carpal tunnel syndrome, and I can rattle of two dozen friends and co-workers who have the same. She is a jackass and an attention whore for posting about it at all, let alone with all the melodrama of a cancer diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 1111/15/2011

[quote] WHET to Epstein-Barr?

It morphed into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. A lot of times it's coupled with fibromyalgia.

by Anonymousreply 1211/15/2011

RSD can also stand for Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.

by Anonymousreply 1311/15/2011

Yes, OP. Cancer is a recent invention of the drug companies.

by Anonymousreply 1511/15/2011

r11 thank you. That's exactly right. I have lupus and it sucks. However, the number of times I have visited a forum to get some information and seen the avatars of obese unhealthy looking people who advertise all their illnesses and drug regimes and wear them like a badge of honour - well, it just seems wrong:

MANDY Lupus SLE, fibromyalgia, arthritis, RSD, 100mls perednisone 50g loroxine.... 'Although some days it's hard to get out of bed, faith and prayer will see us through.'

They seem to revel in their illnesses (I have seen the same thing from recovering alcoholics). I understand some days it IS hard, but I am at the gym every day - to at least stretch my muscles. I have cut anything processed out of my diet. None of my friends know about my illness because I don't think they would understand. You have to get on with life.

by Anonymousreply 1611/15/2011

My cousin has it. His leg can swell up, turn white and purple and be as cold as ice.

It's basically the same thing as phantom limb pain. Nerves are damaged and don't get better, sending constant pain signals to the brain.

He uses an implanted thing now in his back that sends impulses down his leg which counteract the pain. He says it works pretty well, but he still has pain and he walks with a cane, like a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 1711/15/2011

My sister has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and tried to get disability for it (hard). I love her, but she does seem to revel in her illnesses and complains about joint pain and so forth. She's put on quite a bit of weight and appears unhappy with her appearance. She has always had low self-esteem, even when she was a beauty. I've never understood it. She was sensitive as a child, cried a lot, was apart from us (me and a brother) and seems to be almost painfully sensitive and insecure. She is on several different prescriptions for depression and they seem to help a bit. She complains about not having any friends and says it makes her sad. Nothing I (or her therapists) have ever said or done (supportive words and deeds) has been able to change her self-pity into self-confidence.

by Anonymousreply 1811/15/2011

I have two friends with MS - one will die from it within a few years, the other will probably live a long time as hers is the type that goes into remission. She's having a struggle with it now, but she is so much more of a complainer and pessimist than my friend who is dying from it. Friend in remission has been on disability for 5 years, complains that she isn't mobile enough to do stuff with her kids. Her kids are now teenagers and spend 80% of their time with their father. Dying friend still runs his own business and just took his family on a luxury Mediterranean cruise. He's blind and in a wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 1911/15/2011

This is a website with all you could ever want to know about Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. It is a Canadian site.

by Anonymousreply 2011/15/2011

A woman I taught with had MS until she was turned down for a State Dept. position. Then, miraculously, her 20+ year bout with MS disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 2111/15/2011

to:OPTthe messange was a copy and paste,very commom on FB walls, I saw a few FB friends posted the same thing

by Anonymousreply 2311/15/2011

R22, suck my cock and go make me a fucking sandwich, you loon.

by Anonymousreply 2411/15/2011

"RSD stands for Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, [R4]. There is an updated term for it -- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome."

My nephew has this. He's in his early 30s, straight, newly married, working for a law firm. He finds it incredibly painful to turn his head and uooer body or raise his arms above chest height, so he uses a voice-activated computer and his wife often does his typing for him. He's in pain much of the time. He was once a very active skiier, climber, cyckist, etc. but now walking is about all he can do for fitness.

It's really sad, there is not much that can be done except try to alleviate the pain.

by Anonymousreply 2511/15/2011

ROlling eyes @ R9/R24. You sound a bit angry, I think you should see someone.

by Anonymousreply 2611/15/2011

I have RSD... Rotting Snatch Disorder.

by Anonymousreply 2711/15/2011

OP, is she tender to the touch?

by Anonymousreply 2811/15/2011

Who in hell would create a thread insulting his sister and practically begging the responders to do the same?

by Anonymousreply 2911/15/2011

This thread is freaking me out. Do all these illnesses get triggered by stress and trauma?

by Anonymousreply 3011/15/2011

[quote] Who in hell would create a thread insulting his sister and practically begging the responders to do the same?

A Datalounge Troll.

It's done several times a week.

My brother/mother/sister

has fibromyalgia and/or

is obese

and/or eats nothing but processed foods or

is a vegan and/or

claims to be gluten intolerant and/or

claims their precious child has nut allergy or

claims to be allergic to cigarette smoke or

smokes like a chimney and/or

mooches off my mother, so I will have no inheritance and/or

is married to a fat woman who has run up 100,000 in credit card debt and/or

doesn't tip and/or

is a whore and/or

is a fundy

by Anonymousreply 3111/15/2011

She's a woman. Maintain low expectations.

by Anonymousreply 3211/15/2011

I was hoping we were going to talk about RDJ.

by Anonymousreply 3411/15/2011

r31, are you making an homage to Rosie O'Donnell, writing one of her e.e. cummings-style postings on her blog? You need to turn off all caps.

by Anonymousreply 3511/15/2011

Some of you, including you R11 and R16, are real assholes. People get sick and try to do what they can to cope. I am in perfect health and could easily accuse you two of causing your own health problems. That would be as absurd as your attitude. Try to grow up a little, huh?

by Anonymousreply 3611/15/2011

Does she also have extreme sensitivity to electromagnetic waves and printed material?

My Stage 3 Epstein-Barr/Fibro diagnosis has made it all but impossible to use office equipment or touch paperwork.

Thank goodness for my temp, Deborah. She is great about putting in overtime.

by Anonymousreply 3711/15/2011

I'd say there are a lot of posters here, as usual, who are tender to the touch. Thank heavens it seldom happens for them.

All the name calling - and R36, the posters you went after were operating from the assumption that the RSD was the repetitive motion disorder thing, not the other blah blah blah.

Thankfully my MS is remitted and aside from the need to avoid heat and stress so I don't have pseudoexacerbation issues (yup) no one know needs to know a thing about it.

Sorry so many people suffer. Sorry, too, so many people suffer by making their suffering their lifestyle. It can be both a response to the chronic nature of their condition, but also a disorder all its own. So?

by Anonymousreply 3811/16/2011

I don't see any all caps in 31

by Anonymousreply 3911/16/2011

Some people may feel a greater need to explain themselves and their illness to others and raise awareness when their illness is widely misunderstood to be "fake."

A century ago, MS was known as "the faker's disease" because the objective signs were hidden.

Those with a recognized problem like arthritis may not get the same urge to convince people that they are actually suffering.

by Anonymousreply 4011/16/2011

Sound like for her, RSD means Randomly Selected Disease.

by Anonymousreply 4111/16/2011

I have RSD as a result of a foot surgery (trauma). Here's something I learned and pass on to anyone it may help:

iirc - **If the condition isn't diagnosed and treated within six months,** it can spread, "jump" to another part of the body, and become progressively and permanently worse to the point of constant pain and total disability.

Treatment included gabapentin, a few months of physical therapy and visits with a physiatrist, which halted the progression of the RSD and reversed some of the damage. There's still constant, but very low-level, pain. I consider myself extremely lucky, but can see where some people who weren't would wallow, or want to educate others who may be able to avoid RSD's worst aspects.

by Anonymousreply 4211/19/2011

R16...your post IS wallowing in resentment, self-pity, and feelings of superiority justified by your illness. You are seemingly without empathy or compassion and are purely and totally narcissistic. Welcome to reality!

OP...I can see why she's this way if everyone in her life is like YOU. People with illnesses become angry and resentful when they're surrounded by self important assholes who can't bear to express any feelings of understanding. You are clearly resentful of HER, and it's YOUR self-pitying that you should be addressing.

by Anonymousreply 4311/19/2011

This thread proves one thing. The stereotype about gay people being understanding, compassionate, and kind is just that- a stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 4411/19/2011

Yes, I have RSD in my right ankle& leg.after a bad break. I feel for anyone who has pain but one thing I have learned in the past 8yrs of my life is try to stay positive, do not worry about other people on what they think, because they have their mind already made up, and why waste your breath.No one understands unless they go through it themselves.Try to exercise so you will not seize up.[a little at a time.] It is easy to get frustrated but try to move on.I am still learning tricks to make my life a little more less stressful. Afterall, stress does not work very well with RSD.Yes, you are normal,if there are times you feel sorry for yourself,but there are also times when you see people that are in the same or worse condition than you are.Try to keep your chin up,& smile even if it means grinding your teeth. KEEP STRONG!!

by Anonymousreply 4507/02/2012

Rsd is a horrible pain disease listed on McGill pain scale what most doctors go by as the most painful thing there is why don't you do some research on it before talking about it she needs support

by Anonymousreply 4606/23/2013

RSD - Repressed Sick to Death

That would be hidden

by Anonymousreply 4706/23/2013

[quote]She has always had low self-esteem, even when she was a beauty. I've never understood it. She was sensitive as a child, cried a lot, was apart from us (me and a brother) and seems to be almost painfully sensitive and insecure.

You just described every "sufferer" of fibro. Their painfully low self-esteem manifests itself in *literal* pain of a variety that somehow can't ever be scientifically identified, except women (and it's always women) just know everything feels "painful to the touch." Some of the brighter pharma companies have created fibro drugs that are in essence a placebo -- an anti-anxiety drug, mixed in with a mild antidepressant, that makes them *feel* like the "pain" has lessened, when in reality only their self-manifested "pain" has been reduced -- but having fibro also gives them an outlet for boosting their self-confidence in "knowing they aren't alone," that there are millions of fellow "sufferers" who "understand their pain." In generations past, these were the same women whom traveling salesmen targeted with their wacko "magical cure-alls."

Btw OP I have RSD as in repetitive stress disorder, and I would never go on fucking FACEBOOK to whine about it. I just wear a wrist brace when I type (which is what causes the carpal tunnel problems) and use an ergonomic chair and keyboard and fucking *deal* with it.

by Anonymousreply 4806/23/2013

I only wish obesity were invisible.

by Anonymousreply 4906/23/2013

OP, are you serious when you ask if these are real conditions? Maybe you are just looking for sympathy because your sister gets more attention or something.

These are all real conditions. You may be really young and therefore not have had a chance to attain the general knowledge to know this. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

See link below on RSD - this is a reputable site.

Having said that, doctors sometimes misdiagnose or overdiagnose and some of this may be due to the influence of the drug companies. Also, some individuals malinger or exaggerate their symptoms (but some also don't complain when they should).

Whatever the case - these are all serious conditions.

by Anonymousreply 5006/23/2013

Basically people who are very sick are expected to either get better or die, otherwise people get sick of them. Friends and sometimes family will often start blaming the sick person for not doing it right. Nobody wants to be around suffering which does not have an end by date.

I have have one of the diseases listed since I was sixteen. My whole life shifted in an instant and friends just didn't know how to act now that I wasn't the life of the party. I complained how tired and sick I felt a lot at first until one day my mom said " "Jim" I know you feel horrible but you have to stop saying it, it only makes others feel bad and it doesn't help how you feel". I took her advice to heart and it made a big difference. I basically stopped complaining unless it served a purpose which wasn't often. I think this advise applies to everyone. I know a lot of people with good health and good lives who make a job out of complaining.

On the other hand it is a special kind of hell when you have to fight every day to keep your dignity and you pray you had a "normal" disease like cancer that gets respect and research where you either die or go into remission instead of people thinking you just have some vague thing you are probably making up.

My doctor who was working with a lot of AIDS patients in addition to people with my illness when HIV was still a death sentence told me once that if he had to chose between which disease he got he'd choose AIDS because there is at least dignity in death and they were still the same people they once were until it got close to death. It was one of the few times I felt understood.

I agree that there can be a cult of victimization especially after internet forum began but I can also understand needing a place to vent and look for help and information at times but you can't live in that place.

I also see many people glob onto a diagnosis that it's obvious they don't have but they go around saying they do and make the rest of us pissed off because it makes a serious disease look trivial and makes a lot of people think of the disease just like most people here do. They might have some other problem but contrary to popular belief with proper training these diseases can be fairly accurately diagnosed through medical tests.

OP, if you aren't a troll, or anyone in a similar situation I would suggest do a little research go to a doctors visit and try to let her see that you are trying to be informed like you would if she had something you believed in. Then after she knows you care enough to do that maybe then you can back away from it all and just offer concrete help like helping her do an errand once in a while if she needs it.

by Anonymousreply 5106/23/2013

My mom was recently diagnosed with Fibro. I don't know if that is what she has but I do know she is in a lot of pain but has the exact opposite personality type as has been discussed. She is in her seventies and still working, She's got tons of self confidence and friends. She actually has has some major and minor surgeries without ever telling anyone cause she didn't think it was a big deal and hardly ever complains about anything.

by Anonymousreply 5206/23/2013

Same here [51]. Crohn's disease since I was 15- over 30 yrs now. Have always tried not to make a big deal about it, cause people won't understand if they've never been really sick. Kinda sucks when you feel awful inside, but outwardly it doesn't show. Not too glamorous having the poopy disease.

by Anonymousreply 5306/23/2013

[quote] My doctor who was working with a lot of AIDS patients in addition to people with my illness when HIV was still a death sentence told me once that if he had to chose between which disease he got he'd choose AIDS because there is at least dignity in death and they were still the same people they once were until it got close to death. It was one of the few times I felt understood.

by Anonymousreply 5406/23/2013

Tell her to give up wheat and sugar completely...I guarantee you that 90 percent of her symptoms will disappear within days.

by Anonymousreply 5606/23/2013

Clinical depression was once considered the root cause of general pain and fatigue issues for many people. Many people who suffer from fibromyalgia now would have been given a diagnosis of depression decades ago. Research shows there is an actual, clinical condition at work in these cases, but it's not well understood.

I also suspect many who have fibromyalgia actually have another condition which their doctor is too busy, lazy or incompetent to diagnose. Epstein-Barr, hormonal variations, autoimmune systems being compromised, the horrible processed foods we eat, allergies, all of these things and more can cause problems, and I always hope those diagnosed with fibro aren't just being shrugged off when they actually have a gluten intolerance or something that can be treated properly.

by Anonymousreply 5706/23/2013

I read somewhere that RSD was common among women who pick tea leaves, but their employers give them ample breaks from their work as well as extensive physical therapy for those who need it.

by Anonymousreply 5806/23/2013

You are really fucking tedious, R59. Seek help.

by Anonymousreply 6006/23/2013

Hey Moron AKA R59,

The listed disorders are experienced by both women and men.

by Anonymousreply 6106/23/2013

Paula Abdul has RSD

by Anonymousreply 6206/23/2013

Why isn't gluten intolerance listed in OP's list? I feel like my boundaries have been violated despite me stating them repeatedly and that this is triggering and it feels rapey and I think there should've been a trigger warning?

by Anonymousreply 6306/23/2013

[quote]This thread proves one thing. The stereotype about gay people being understanding, compassionate, and kind is just that- a stereotype.

When was that ever a stereotype, outside of bad romantic comedies?

by Anonymousreply 6406/23/2013

Agreed, R64. When did people come up with all stereotypes that gay people are somehow saintly and philanthropic? We don't have to be perfect people to be entitled to basic human rights - the rest of the world's population sure as fuck isn't.

by Anonymousreply 6506/23/2013

guess the truth hurts, R60 and R61.

by Anonymousreply 6606/23/2013

This reminds me of a friend who recently had a mammogram where the result detected cancer cells. Good for her that she goes every six months and this was the first showing of this result. Early detection is key so I applaud her pro-active efforts.

Even before she saw a specialist for further diagnosis, whom she was scheduled to see less than 48 hours later, she sent out an e-mail to a huge group of people and posted on Facebook that she'd been diagnosed with breast cancer. Before she really had any details - and she didn't highlight the super early detection.

I do have a problem with that because I think one should definitely get all the "further information" before needlessly worrying others and making them wait it out with you unnecessarily. She was clearly attention-whoring.

Ultimately, the specialist gave her like a 95% survival rate and recommended a short course of radiation for the one or two cancer cells that existed. Meanwhile, another friend of mine has been struggling with Stage 4 breast cancer for about the last 4 years, she has no hair, no eyebrows or lashes, she's had a single mastictomy and has her nipple grafted to her back for safe keeping, she had her femer removed and replaced with titanium along with as much chemo as a person can have at the Mayo Clinic and her debt is nearing 7 figures. Along with all the other denimonations, side effects and losses, physical, emotional and social that go along with long-term cancer treatment. (Her name is Laura, feel free to say a pray for her. She is a lovely woman.)

My other friend posted on Facebook that her radiation treatment meant that she wouldn't be able to go on a planned camping trip this summer and she acted like, in the face of having her entire life ravaged and extinguished by breast cancer, that it was some kind of hardship - stil milking her brush with a tragedy that will never happen. Her complete lack of perspective on this makes me think I don't want to be her friend anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6706/23/2013

Everybody hurts.

by Anonymousreply 6806/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!