Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

ABC News' Diane Sawyer and her non-stop "Gabby Giffords and her ASTRONAUT HUSBAND" shit

"Gabby and her ASTRONAUT HUSBAND Mark Kelly.... Hear her SPEAK along side her ASTRONAUT HUSBAND.... Watch our special tonight, 'The Congresswoman and the ASTRONAUT'....The brave Congresswoman and her husband the ASTRONAUT"

ENOUGH ALREADY! We get it, you're obsessed with their class ranking and want us all to remember that they're a Congress member and an astronaut. Great! Just give us the fucking story already, Diane.

by Anonymousreply 4101/08/2013

Gaby Gifford speaks: "ahgdfsynt dsty5hy hhhmmm awrtjiy"

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2011

I'll play her in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2011

I used to like Diane Sawyer but she's becoming more and more like a caricature with all her gooey, pearl-clutching comments about everything. Why does she have to make some gassy remark after every single story???? So-ooooo patronizing. Didn't she used to kiss Richard Nixon's ass as a PR person????

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2011

Sorry, I'd rather hear about her than some fucking football coach that walks on water.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2011

Interesting little tidbit. Mark and the wife before Gabby were major swingers in a certain Houston neighborhood. This according to a neighbor whose then teen daughter used to babysit all the couples kids at one house while they played in another.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2011

R5, that was pretty common behavior among the astronauts and their social group. I knew someone who partied with them back in the Houston days.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2011

Wonder if Mark is swingin' without Gabby, these days?

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2011

R5, leads me to think they have a fake marriage in order to bolster each other.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2011

R3, Frost-Nixon makes it pretty clear that Diane's a Nixon tool.

I will never take her seriously as a news woman. She will always be morning fluff.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2011

Gabby Giffords in shocking hospital photos, scarred and bruised, recovering from her gunshot wound

Congresswoman's husband recalls the agonizing recovery

BY Rheana Murray

Wednesday, November 9 2011, 11:23 PM

Shocking images of Gabby Giffords recently released show the shot congresswoman during the darkest moments of her miraculous recovery, scarred and bruised in a hospital bed.

The snapshots are part of an upcoming ABC News interview - Giffords' first since the shooting - with Diane Sawyer, set to air November 14.

The Arizona congresswoman survived a bullet to the brain during the January shooting in Tuscon, Ariz., when a gunman opened fire on a crowd outside a grocery store, killing six people and injuring twelve.

Giffords’ husband, retired astronaut Mark Kelly, sat down with Sawyer in mid-January, just days after the shooting.

Giffords and Kelly also grace the latest cover of People magazine, featuring excerpts from the couple’s new memoir, “Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope.”

In the heartbreaking tale, Kelly describes with painful detail one of the hardest moments during the recovery - when he saw his panicked wife hyperventilating in her wheelchair.

“She motioned with her left hand, waving it by her mouth,” he wrote. “It didn’t take me long to figure out what was wrong. She had tried to speak but she couldn’t and just figured out she was trapped.

“Her eyes were as wide open as I’d ever seen them and the look on her face was of absolute fear.”

The couple also revealed they were trying for a baby before Giffords was shot, suffering wounds doctors didn’t know if she would survive.

The book will be in stores November 15.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2011

[quote][R5], that was pretty common behavior among the astronauts and their social group. I knew someone who partied with them back in the Houston days.

Swinging started amongst military pilots and their wives, which, while the astronaut corps is not exclusively military anymore, is still a major part of the esprit de corps.

Sorry, I know I'm being pedantic, and I should be shot for using "esprit de corps" in a sentence.

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2011

Why does this profession in particular attract swingers? What's the connection between NASA (or military pilots) and swinging?

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2011

The theory I've read about is that because pilots and their families were usually tightly bonded because they lived on the same bases and were in the same social circles (and there is a huge bond among astronauts), there was an understanding that if one of them died (in WWII or Korea), the other pilots would make sure his widow was taken care of, I guess including sexually.

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2011

OP needs to get cable.

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2011

I actually did a search and found this thread after looking to see if I am somehow the only person who doesn't get the Mark Kelly/Gabby Gifford obsession with ABC News. Glad I'm not.

I think it's fucking SHAMEFUL how Giffords' husband seems to be famewhoring his wife. I also have come to the realization that poor Gabby will never be the same and that a big chunk of her mind seems gone. Yet there she was last week in Sandy Hook, CT. WHY? Yes, she was shot, brutally. But why show up there other than it being a PR stunt?

She seems to be becoming a tool for her famewhore husband, and Diane Sawyer loves playing along.

I feel horrible for Giffords and her family, but this poor woman should be left alone to heal and recover and rehabilitate and not be used so quickly for any agenda or obsessive interviews with Diane Sawyer.

by Anonymousreply 1501/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 1601/08/2013

But, WHO was she with in Sandy Hook, R16? Huh? WHO??

by Anonymousreply 1701/08/2013

Look, what happened to Gabbby Giffords was a horrible tragedy. However, is this all that big of a "get" for Diane Sawyer?

It seems as if Gabby and her husband are available anytime you want them lately.

by Anonymousreply 1801/08/2013

Count how many times Diane says the word "family" during a newscast. Every catastrophe affects "families". Every news event involves "families". Ironic what a family values gal she is considering her own personal life.

by Anonymousreply 1901/08/2013

Diane has no class. She's a Republican grifter who used to work in the Nixon White House. Don't get the love for her. Plus, she always sounds gooey and gross.

by Anonymousreply 2001/08/2013

R19 - That's because "family" is Diane Sawyer's codeword for attracting the legions of mommy fraus who keep Good Morning America at #1. Fuck regular old people and those without kids. Her entire broadcast is always 100% aimed at and produced for women with children and "families" (i.e. straight, married and preferably for ABC, white.)

by Anonymousreply 2101/08/2013

...and poor Gabby Giffords and the famewhore 'astronaut husband' would show up to be interviewed by a local junior high school newspaper.

I'm not even sure Gabby knows what day it is or where she is half the time, but there she is, being dragged around the country by her tiresome husband, lead by the hand. She's become his PR meal ticket.

by Anonymousreply 2201/08/2013

Wow, you bitches are cynical. Ms. Giffords is not Sunny von fucking Bulow. She may have some of her "mind" gone but what is there seems to be able to make decisions about her OWN welfare. She is not being "dragged" to anything by her husband. And any good that they both can do to help anyone in the world who is recovering from a tragedy, a health situation or who needs some encouragement, hope and support, she wrote the fucking book and these interviews are a comfort. If this is how she and her husband are choosing to spend their brief time on earth, it's a lot more "participatory" and proactively helpful than just sitting licking their proverbial wounds and waiting around to die.

by Anonymousreply 2301/08/2013

I'd rather have a lobotomy than watch Diane Sawyer night after night delivering her fawning, treacly, glint-in-her-eye gooey, hysterical mess.

Can you not find a better vehicle for news? PBS? BBC? Something? Anything?

by Anonymousreply 2401/08/2013

We are not bashing Giffords but DIANE and GABBY's ASTRONAUT HUSBAND.

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2013

I watched Diane Sawyer for about a month and couldn't take the drama queen nonsense. Just give me the news, ma'm.

Switch to CBS and really like it and Scott Peley. It is much more adult.

by Anonymousreply 2601/08/2013

I guess my only criticism of Giffords is how it took a bullet into her own head to make her come to Jesus about gun control.

All the bullets in others' heads never had that effect on her, before the unfortunate attack one year ago this month.

by Anonymousreply 2701/08/2013

R27, I don't think Giffords has 'come to Jesus' at all. I think Giffords basically just sees lots of colors and people and shiny things and waits for her next jar of baby food.

Seriously, this poor woman's life was stolen away from her and she hasn't yet had a real opportunity to heal and make her way back. Her friggen husband is always dragging her by the hand all over the country, sits her down at interviews, keeps his hand on her left hand and answers all the questions whatever interviewer is asking.

While he doesn't really come across as an attention seeker in his voice, it's apparent to me that he loves it. Otherwise, why not keep your wife home, safe, protected; ESPECIALLY considering how close he came to losing her. He's also not retired. Wouldn't you think they guy would like to be home with his wife and family at this point, especially considering all the care and rehabilitation she needs? No. She's his ticket to the spotlight.

As for Diane Sawyer, she seems like a sad, delusional old woman. I gave up on her a week after she took over ABC news. I couldn't handle all the melodrama and head tilting affectations of her news reading and how everything is about mommies.

Brian Williams is awesome!

by Anonymousreply 2801/08/2013

I have a friend whose daughter used to babysit for a group of swingers. Of course the swingers didn't know that the sitter was on to their hijinks but she reported that this group was mainly astronauts and their wives and Giffords husband and ex-wife were active participants.

by Anonymousreply 2901/08/2013

R29, my nephew and his wife live in Ashburn, VA, just outside D.C. and, like most people there, they work in the government/military areas. She's works with the CIA, he's a pentagon person.

They told us last Spring how huge the swingers scene is in and around D.C. One of the restaurants we where we had dinner in Ashburn has a weekly swingers meet up.

My niece-in-law told me that, for whatever reason, swinging is HUGE in the military and government professionals communities. So, I'd believe your claim about astronauts. If it's all true, and I have no reason not to believe my nephew and his wife, it's an interesting phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 3001/08/2013

This was in Houston near NASA BTW R30. I kind of wonder why it's so big with that crowd too. I thought the military crowd had more of the religious evangelical types in it.

One strange thing I've noticed is that the few swingers I've met tend to be very cliquish and not as friendly as you would think. I've met a few and the women were downright unfriendly towards other women. You'd think they would be on the lookout for new recruits.

by Anonymousreply 3101/08/2013

[quote]I thought the military crowd had more of the religious evangelical types in it.

Most astronauts predate the fundies who invaded the military.

by Anonymousreply 3201/08/2013

Mark Kelly is using his wife as a famewhore tool, but I'd still like to see him naked. He's a hot daddy..probably the type with a little bit of belly, but huge muscular arms and thighs.

by Anonymousreply 3301/08/2013

[quote]Most astronauts predate the fundies who invaded the military.

I wonder if NASA made a conscious decision to keep fundies out. You never see anyone "witness" from space or talk about how God told them to be an astronaut.

by Anonymousreply 3401/08/2013

Astronaut is not a CLASS. It is a cool job. of course people mention it.

[quote] that was pretty common behavior among the astronauts and their social group. I knew someone who partied with them back in the Houston days.

The original astronauts were almost all test pilots and incredible dare devils. Being an astronaut back in the day was a scary and brave adventure. My dad spent a decade at the Cape in the earliest space days.

Today's astronauts aren't exactly the same. I'm a bit skeptical of big "circles of swingers." I'm not saying they don't fool around now and that they didn't fool around back then but it would be very hard to keep those kind of secrets today if were as widespread and flagrant as some would have us think - despite the proclamations of babysitters and people who claim to be insiders to the astronaut social clique. For those in the military it would be a court martial offense.

by Anonymousreply 3501/08/2013

Meant to add that a person's impairment in verbal communication may not necessarily reflect a cognitive impairment.

Quite frankly it makes sense to me that Giffords would weigh in on this - both incidents involve shooters with mental illness accessing weapons.

by Anonymousreply 3601/08/2013

Lisa Nowak was one of "today's" astronauts.

by Anonymousreply 3701/08/2013

[quote]For those in the military it would be a court martial offense.

I have a feeling that military personnel do a lot of things they shouldn't. Adultery for one.

by Anonymousreply 3801/08/2013

A crying shame what happened to Giffords, but I hope she doesn't use it as a platform for extremist gun control reform because she would be smeared by NRA types. My understanding is her attacker used a handgun; we have to go after far more dangerous weapons.

I've worked closely with pilots and NASA scientists, maybe not closely enough to be privy to the swinging thing.

Diane started as a weather girl in the 1960s on WLKY (ABC affiliate) in Louisville, KY.

Her father was a wealthy republican activist, and there's a public park named after him in a "nice" area of town where I used to live.

Yes, she was a hack and gofer for Nixon -- she moved up in the world fast, didn't she??

by Anonymousreply 3901/08/2013

Diane is married to one of the biggest (and least secret) closet cases around. Reason enough to despise her.

by Anonymousreply 4001/08/2013

Read "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe about the original astronauts, who started as test pilots. That job attracts the same kind of guy who become cops, firemen, Army Green Berets, Navy SEALs, etc. -- super macho daredevils, which of course includes screwing around with as many women as possible. John Glenn was apparently a straight arrow exception to the norm.

Modern astronauts include women & scientists, who aren't necessarily into the same kind of sexual posturing. But there must still be plenty of the professional Bad Boy types, so it wouldn't be surprising to find that those were swingers.

by Anonymousreply 4101/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!