Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Watching Dawson's Creek

Did you think that Michele Williams and Katie Holmes would end up being big tars? Despite the Cruise detour, Katie was on her way to having an interesting career just like Michele's. Maybe it will happen for her after the contract is up.

by Anonymousreply 3002/09/2013

Katie Holmes isn't a brilliant actress, but she's more than passable in the right role within a limited range. Better yet, she had the great good luck to have good (often small) roles in some excellent films: The Ice Storm, Wonder Boys, Pieces of April, and Go.

Maybe she saw that hers were not talents that would translate well into adulthood stardom and opted instead for the devil's deal.

by Anonymousreply 111/07/2011

I never thought Katie Holmes was talented. She was awful on Dawson's Creek and she played a variation of that character in all her other roles. She just doesn't have it.

The only talented people on that show were Michelle and Joshua Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 211/07/2011

I thought Kerr Smith was a good actor too. He's worked very, very steadily since the show ended.

I think Katie Holmes was a beneficiary of good early choices. All the roles OP mentions highlighted her strengths and hid her weaknesses. But take a look at her performance in Batman Begins. She's awful. She could have gone back to small roles or indies after that, but hooking up with Tom Cruise has made her impossible to cast in those since now when she's on screen you can't help but see Tom Cruise's wife.

by Anonymousreply 311/07/2011

It's funny, Nicole (reportedly) hooked up with Tom to elevate her career - but her career really didn't fully blossom until AFTER Tom. Katie's career, while steady if not remarkable, basically hit a wall after hooking up with Tom, and what roles she does take, don't turn out so well for her. Marrying Tom killed her acting career.

It's just odd- while we never really know celebrities, the Katie Holmes doing interviews while on Dawson's Creek seems like a completely different person than the Katie Holmes that married Tom. And it makes you think less of her for marrying him.

by Anonymousreply 411/07/2011

Holmes is terrible in everything, and her detour with ultra-crazy-soul-suck corruption looks like it has turned her into a mannequin dementer twat. Kidman had some talent - not as much as her career denotes - probably because at least she had learned poise and could carry it with her thin body. Now she's a cosmeto-surgery freak.

I agree that Joshua Jackson, Michelle Williams and Kerr Jackson are fine.

by Anonymousreply 511/07/2011

I thought Kerr was incredibly wooden as an actor. I'm convinced the only way that man gets roles is by pointing his ankles towards Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 611/07/2011

I thought that only Joshua Jackson would be a star after Dawson's Creek. Katie Holmes and Michelle Williams annoyed me. Dawson (James whatshisface) was as wooden as his bed.

by Anonymousreply 711/07/2011

I always pegged Michelle Williams for stardom beyond Dawson's Creek. She added layers to her character that no nighttime teen soap character would be expected to have.

by Anonymousreply 811/07/2011

[quote]I thought Kerr was incredibly wooden as an actor. I'm convinced the only way that man gets roles is by pointing his ankles towards Jesus.

Looks like it is time for me to pursue a career in casting.

by Anonymousreply 911/07/2011

It hasn't aged well has it?

by Anonymousreply 1002/07/2013

Kerr Smith on As the World Turns was absolutely bonerific.

by Anonymousreply 1102/07/2013

[quote]Did you think that Michele Williams and Katie Holmes would end up being big tars?

I always knew they were big 'tards.

by Anonymousreply 1202/07/2013

Katie's Joey was sweet, but I thought Michelle had better chops even then.

by Anonymousreply 1302/07/2013

Michele blew everyone else off the screen. (And Katie blew Jackson off screen.)

I remember the EP saying, "The funny thing about that show is the actors who played nice characters weren't -- and visa versa."

by Anonymousreply 1402/07/2013

The best ending ever, with Joey and Pacey together, Dawson off doing his thing in California, and Jack and Pacey's brother together in love, raising Jen's baby.

I'm tearing up just remembering this.

by Anonymousreply 1502/07/2013

I remember thinking Williams was acting on another level from the rest of them, but that Holmes would probably become the bigger star.

by Anonymousreply 1602/07/2013

It's been 10 years since the finale r15 - what do you think has become of the characters? Happy endings never last....

by Anonymousreply 1702/07/2013

R15, I hear ya.

I am surprised that Michelle and K.H became so huge.

Joshua Jackson was the only one I imagined would become a huge star.

by Anonymousreply 1802/07/2013

Tv actors can't become stars. Does anybody regard Katie and Michelle as stars? They were both MARRIED to stars, but they are more like character actresses, surely?

by Anonymousreply 1902/07/2013

Michelle is a star. She carried Blue Valentine among others.

by Anonymousreply 2002/07/2013

Big tars trap dinosaurs.

by Anonymousreply 2102/07/2013

Michelle Williams has been the most delightful surprise. I didn't care too much for Dawson's Creek or anyone on it at the time. But Michelle magically blossomed into a truly wonderful actress and person. I've seen her at Villa Roma (in the Catskills) skiing with her daughter and she is a genuine mensch and a damn good mother.

by Anonymousreply 2202/07/2013

Dawson himseawful and looked dated evenlf was too, nollok.

by Anonymousreply 2302/07/2013

huh

by Anonymousreply 2402/07/2013

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2502/09/2013

I remember a lot of fawning interviews with behind the scenes people about how extraordinary Holmes was, her expressive face, "When in doubt, cut to Katie!" All these smitten older dudes.

She was a beautiful teenager with doe-eyes and a slightly blank face, who was extremely naive and not very clever. That's a very seductive combo to over-30 guys.

She got older, got married and the bloom came off the rose. And in the meantime, the actress with actual talent, Williams, steadily worked her way into the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 2602/09/2013

R25, that was an awful rendition? Was that supposed to be good or a joke? I can't tell. I've never seen the show.

by Anonymousreply 2702/09/2013

[quote]Joshua Jackson was the only one I imagined would become a huge star.

He was good in "Fringe", but I honestly can't recall seeing him in much else.

He was in that TV-movie "The Laramie Project" about Matthew Shepard... but honestly, I haven't see anything else he's been in.

And he doesn't seem to have anything in the pipeline.

by Anonymousreply 2802/09/2013

Michelle Williams was stunning in Kelly Reichardt's low-key, little seen, devastating "Wendy and Lucy." After BBM, that's when I knew she was the real deal as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 2902/09/2013

I thought Michelle was prettier than Katie, though it looked like Michelle got a little chubby for time to time.

by Anonymousreply 3002/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.