Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Spader...What happened?

look at him in 1999....will this happen to Henry Cavill too?

by Anonymousreply 146November 29, 2019 7:47 AM

Thanks for the link, OP. You put a lot of a effort into this threat. I hope it's a success.

by Anonymousreply 1November 7, 2011 12:10 AM

Am I supposed to call Doc Brown?

How am I supposed to look at him in 1999 since it's 2011?

by Anonymousreply 2November 7, 2011 12:17 AM

It's funny that you say that OP. I recently saw both James Spader and Val Kilmer in fairly recent movies and I couldn't help but to think...what happened? They both looked bloated and old. They were so hot back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 3November 7, 2011 12:22 AM

I'm not the OP, but I found some pix. Spader looks fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2011 12:24 AM

He's brilliant on The Office.

by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2011 2:04 AM

It's called letting oneself go and it can happen to anyone. So beware kids...

by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2011 2:08 AM

I think his character is totally wrong for the office. Too serious. It might have worked if he had Steve Carell to play off of. Ed Helms, as much as I love him, can't completely fill his shoes. The bad writing isn't helping the show either.

by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2011 2:10 AM

It's called getting old and genetics.

by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2011 2:11 AM

I went to high school with him. Nice enough guy. Known as Jimmy then.

Got his break through Mrs Onassis as he was friends with John.

My favorite memory of him was a story he told about running up an aisle in his underwear in a school play when little Jimmy flopped out.

That, he said, was the moment he learned that you wear underwear under your boxers onstage.

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2011 2:11 AM

link! sorry

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2011 2:15 AM

He makes the case for a trophy husbands movement.

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2011 2:29 AM

While men do tend to age better than women, it does not mean that all men age well.

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2011 2:35 AM

Is alcohol the cause of this?

by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2011 5:44 AM

He was sexy. Then he got fat.

by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2011 5:48 AM

I don't think he was ever very cute.

He is hideous now.

by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2011 5:50 AM

Not everyone ages well. Is it really worth starting a thread every time someone notices a celeb looks worse than they used to?

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2011 5:54 AM

Maybe we should all run our threads by you first r16 so you can decide wheter or not they meet your standards.

by Anonymousreply 17November 7, 2011 5:59 AM

it's called the passage of time. people get old and die. get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 18November 7, 2011 6:06 AM

I'd rather see a hot guy age into a shclub, than age into an oversurgeried steroid monster.

Sadly, those are are choices. We won't see another Paul Newman, not in our lifetimes.

by Anonymousreply 19November 7, 2011 6:53 AM

[quote]look at him in 1999....will this happen to Henry Cavill too?

Yes.

signed,

W. Miller, C. Elwes, B. Fraser, et al

by Anonymousreply 20November 7, 2011 8:38 AM

The last time he looked sexy was back in the movie The Secretary (circa 2002?).

Then he joined that show with Shatner and became bloated, pink-faced and greasy-skinned (possibly a quasi-intentional weight gain so he'd look like a Shatner doppleganger?).

Now he's on the Office and has lost the excess weight but has old-person skin (papery, saggy) and developed a creepy Chris Walken hairline (see pic at link).

Great actor though. I still enjoy watching him. But, God, when you look at old still pics if a shirtless young Spader in Supernova (see r10's link), it does feel tragic that he had to grow old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 7, 2011 9:02 AM

He bloated after his divorce. Either the divorce was really hard on him or (since his first wife was a personal trainer) she was the one who kept him thin and left on his own he ate too much.

by Anonymousreply 22November 7, 2011 9:33 AM

r19 Paul Newman was very "face lifted" in his later years

by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2011 9:34 AM

[quote]it does feel tragic that he had to grow old

Boy, are you in for a surprise...

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2011 4:13 PM

R9, you must know Tim R. It's through him that I met Jimmy.

He's lazy and loves to eat. I love him but that's the truth.

I met his Dad, who was at least 70 when I was introduced to him. He was a short very trim elderly doppleganger of Jimmy. I always thought that this was what Jimmy would look like when he got older. But Jimmy has taken the less active route.

He's a great guy. If he wants to eat he can eat. He was never impressed with his own looks.

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2011 4:25 PM

I actually don't agree that "men tend to age better than women." It's just that the standards are different.

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2011 4:38 PM

R25 You sound nice! James Spader is such a good actor. He was really beautiful at one time but it was never the most interesting thing about him. Glad to know he doesn't feel his physcial changes are tragic. Just want him to be in good health and keep working.

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2011 4:40 PM

I don't think he looks that bad but he was one of those guys who looked very young well into his prime and he seemed to age suddenly so it was more of shock. He didn't really look like manly to me until Supernova. Before that he was a pretty boy.

by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2011 4:43 PM

So true R26. It's so much tougher in the gay world too. I understand being put off by those things that are more about lifestyle and indifference to staying reasonably fit, well-groomed, etc. but wrinkles, less than perfectly firm skin, a receding hairline, gray hair, etc. are not things that should seem SO dreadful to people. There is a beauty in those things too and I have felt that way since I was a child. I never understood the hangups about aging or the extremes that people go to try fight it. Nothing against some procedures if they make people feel more confident, but so often it looks worse.

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2011 4:51 PM

He looks like an old lesbian now.

by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2011 6:11 PM

He looked phenomenal in Supernova. I agree, he's not looking so great now. And I'm not really a fan of his role in The Office. (Sorry Jimmy)

by Anonymousreply 31November 8, 2011 4:22 AM

Gingers are horribly!

by Anonymousreply 32November 8, 2011 4:25 AM

I agree that he has not aged well..even in the years betwen 2000(when he did Secretary) and 2004, something happened. For me, he was the sexiest man in the world. Now, my husband, who is 3 yrs older than him, looks hotter (no flab and still plenty of hair). But age can be very hard on some people...even harder when you were once so damn hot. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2011 2:36 AM

HE GOT FAT! I think if he lost weight (and maybe found a better hairstylist), he would actually look pretty great--doesn't seem like that's going to happen tho.

by Anonymousreply 34December 30, 2011 4:13 AM

What is "Supernova" about? It sounds like science fiction and I do not think Jimmy Spader would do a genre film like that.

by Anonymousreply 35December 30, 2011 4:17 AM

"Yes.

signed,

W. Miller, C. Elwes, B. Fraser, et al"

Ahem.

No, not everyone.

by Anonymousreply 36December 30, 2011 4:26 AM

He was never cute.

Now he is hideous.

by Anonymousreply 37December 30, 2011 4:31 AM

His voice always seemed to annoy me. Very waspy!

by Anonymousreply 38December 30, 2011 4:40 AM

[quote]I agree that he has not aged well..even in the years betwen 2000(when he did Secretary) and 2004.

He turned 40 in 2000, and it seems that a lot of men who used to be good looking when they were younger start to lose their looks in their early 40's.

by Anonymousreply 39December 30, 2011 4:42 AM

R25, info on why he divorced, please.

by Anonymousreply 40December 30, 2011 5:09 AM

"Supernova" was a notorious mess:

"This film is the prime example of studio interference. I’ll make it short for you: First off director Geoffrey Wright (Romper Stomper) was hired and fired before shooting began. Action man Walter Hill (48 Hours) was hired instead, he changed the script and shot the film his way. The problem is that the studio wanted a sexy thriller but Hill delivered a grotesque serving. Walter departed and Jack Sholder (The Hidden) was hired for reshoots. Most of the stuff Walter Hill shot is not in the finished product. They even brought in Francis Ford Coppola to give his two cents in the editing room."

by Anonymousreply 41December 31, 2011 10:49 PM

He is still sexy, he just needs to do something with his hair. Hair transplants as his hair is one of the sexy thing about him.

Love ya James

by Anonymousreply 42March 11, 2012 5:17 PM

James Spader at his fittest and hottest:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 11, 2012 5:34 PM

James Spader in May 2011:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 11, 2012 5:34 PM

I don't think he was ever above-average on the handsome index.

He is now hideously unattractive.

And he acts on The Office, which used to be so good, many years ago before it got so broad, like he is in his own, separate show.

by Anonymousreply 45March 11, 2012 5:43 PM

Spader was and is a good looking guy. I just wish he wasn't so short. I think the guy is only about 5'8". He was beauty in his youth, I would see movies I had no interest in, just because he was in them. If only he could have bee queer for me.

by Anonymousreply 46March 11, 2012 5:52 PM

He had a bad nose job when he was young that made him look a little effeminate then. However, as we get older, noses (even nose jobs) succumb to gravity, as did his.

by Anonymousreply 47March 11, 2012 5:54 PM

I don't even think he needs plugs. I think if he buzzed his hair he could look okay. It's just not a good look to try to have a full head of hair when it's receding that far back, IMO.

He could also stand to lose some weight. Not a lot, but 10-20 pounds might do him so good.

by Anonymousreply 48March 11, 2012 7:35 PM

I remember him saying in the 90s he hated that he had to exercise so much to still be up for leading man roles, and that he (jokingly) blamed it all on Brad Pitt, who had showed off his sixpack in "Thelma & Louise" and made it necessary for all leading men to have to have sixpacks.

I think when he got to 42 or so he said, "Fuck it, I'm a character actor" (which is true), and decided to play schlubby middle-aged roles.

by Anonymousreply 49March 11, 2012 7:42 PM

He looks like Michael Madsen in the link posted by R21.

by Anonymousreply 50March 11, 2012 7:42 PM

He got old and fat. But don't we have a thread like this like three times a year?

by Anonymousreply 51March 11, 2012 7:45 PM

Henry Cavill is better looking than James Spader ever was, but he's losing his hair, alas, so I think he's going to go more in the way of Jude Law.

by Anonymousreply 52March 11, 2012 7:46 PM

[quote]But don't we have a thread like this like three times a year?

No.

And even if we did: who cares? If you're complaining things have to be completely new all year long, you're spending WAY too much time on this forum and need to develop other interests.

by Anonymousreply 53March 11, 2012 7:52 PM

Not complaining, just find it funny. Every few months, someone asks "what the hell happened to James Spader". Poor James.

by Anonymousreply 54March 11, 2012 7:57 PM

Tommy Howell owns this thread. He's just 45. And he's looked like this for years. He suddenly went from young to old without looking middle aged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 11, 2012 8:03 PM

He'd probably look better if he lost some weight. But people and actors should look different, too, so it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 56March 11, 2012 8:08 PM

[quote]Henry Cavill is better looking than James Spader ever was, but he's losing his hair, alas, so I think he's going to go more in the way of Jude Law.

Yes, Henry is definitely having hair problems. You could tell even back in 2010 with this picture:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 11, 2012 8:22 PM

At 25 he was hot enough. No so true at 52. He aged. Men do this. Worse, gay men do too, and keep saying they are not old.

by Anonymousreply 58March 11, 2012 8:37 PM

"info on why he divorced, please"

He met Leslie Stefanson.

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2012 12:57 PM

[r12]: i would say that it's just another piece of evidence showing men tend to age worse than women.

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2012 1:05 PM

He has been one of two of my favorite actors since 1985 and Tuff Turf where I fell in love at first sight. Over the years I've been watching all his movies, I'll watch as long as he's in it.

It is sad, that he fell so far, so fast. I was watching Secretary last night, and he really was thin still, or somewhat, and had his hair, but he facially had already started to develop bad bags under his eyes, and a sag and wrinkled look to his face.

I caught commercials for his new TV show, and I was shocked. I watched episodes of the office to see him, and was sad then, now I could cry.

Poor James, I think he was stunning in his youth, he pretty much distorted. I wonder if it bothers him as much as it bothers me.

My other favorite actor is George Segal, since I was a little girl. At 79, he is sexier than James at 52. He looked hot even in his 60s in Just Shoot Me. Some men stay beautiful, some don't.

James still has a way, with his great voice, his steady gaze, but he definitely gave up on his weight. Oddly, I never pictured him possibly having any weight problems. He always seemed like the naturally thin type. I guess we cannot necessarily judge.

by Anonymousreply 61August 31, 2013 7:02 AM

He was really successful on that lawyer show with Bill Shatner.

by Anonymousreply 62August 31, 2013 7:36 AM

He was still slim and hot in the Secretary which was done in 2003. It looks like after his divorce he just gave up. And he lost his hair. That was the shocker. Still, he managed to find a woman much younger than him to shack up with. Story as old as time.

by Anonymousreply 63August 31, 2013 9:33 AM

I always thought he was very bland looking when he was young. I'm not really surprised by his present appearance. It seems like he's no longer wearing a rug on the promos for his new show.

by Anonymousreply 64August 31, 2013 11:09 AM

He was in the original Stargate movie R35.

I love him anyway, hair or not, thin or not. He's very talented and that is always far more sexy for me than cookie cutter good looks.

by Anonymousreply 65August 31, 2013 11:31 AM

Here's the trailer for his new show on NBC, Blacklist. He looks better with the very short hair but could stand to lose more weight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 31, 2013 1:00 PM

Denny Crane!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 67August 31, 2013 1:05 PM

He never did anything for me, not to mention he always plays creepy characters.

He grossed me out in that Cronenberg film, "Crash"(I think that was the name) about the people getting sexually aroused over car crashes, to the point of getting turned from their bodies becoming deformed due to the crashes.

What a bizarre film, there's some weird fetishes out there. IIRC, it was based on a sci-fi book.

Now he looks like a slovenly bloated greaseball in need of a bath. I remember he was married to really homely, but wealthy, woman.

by Anonymousreply 68August 31, 2013 7:34 PM

It all reminds me of Cary Elwes' disintegration.

by Anonymousreply 69August 31, 2013 7:43 PM

He just didn't age well. He got fat, but he also has the kind of face that does not age well (just like Cary Elwes's).

Still, he's going to be playing Ultron in the next Avengers movie, which should be a huge career boost. He should be perfect for it--he's got that great insolent snarkly vocal quality.

by Anonymousreply 70August 31, 2013 8:27 PM

I'm looking forward to Blacklist. I love Spader. I hope he has a career resurgence with The Avengers and Blacklist. He's a good actor. Too few of them get work these days.

by Anonymousreply 71September 1, 2013 12:00 AM

Did his (IMO) standout role in Lincoln really boost his career?

by Anonymousreply 72September 1, 2013 12:04 AM

A REAL ACTOR KNOWS that he/she doesn't have to be good-looking in his/her whole life.

by Anonymousreply 73September 1, 2013 12:15 AM

R40 NO,Michael T Weiss still looks good. He's put on weight, the hair style isn't flattering. Doesn't matter he's one hell of an actor.

by Anonymousreply 74September 1, 2013 12:20 AM

[quote] You put a lot of a effort into this threat.

Why do you find this threatening, R1?

by Anonymousreply 75September 1, 2013 12:23 AM

Cavill's bone structure will guarantee that he'll age better than all of the names mentioned. He can continue to be handsome for years to come (like Pierce Brosnan) if he takes care of himself, but he appears to drink like a fish and smokes, so...

by Anonymousreply 76September 1, 2013 12:27 AM

When I saw him in a "Psych" ep, I could not believe how badly Elwes had aged. What's his story? Boozer? Food addict?

by Anonymousreply 77September 1, 2013 12:31 AM

He seems to don't have any trouble with his current looks, he looks happy with his life's natural stages and he still getting jobs that suitable with his looks, like in "Lincoln". You queens need to broaden your perspective and stop being so shallow. Of course we love beauty but when the beauty fades it doesn't necessarily stops one's life.

by Anonymousreply 78September 1, 2013 6:38 AM

I never thought James Spader was that attractive to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 79September 1, 2013 6:52 AM

Father Time beats everyone's ass in the end, just some quicker than others.

by Anonymousreply 80September 1, 2013 6:55 AM

James Spader not that attractive to begin with? Okay, whatever.

He was gorgeous and great in Pretty In Pink and sex, lies, and videotape (one of my all-time favorite movies).

I know someone who's worked with him and he said he's a complete fucking asshole.

by Anonymousreply 81September 1, 2013 6:58 AM

[quote]look at him in 1999....will this happen to Henry Cavill too?

James Spader is one hell of a talent to begin with, while actors like Cavill and Matt Bomer with their bland acting/personality are the ones who needs to be cautious about their looks.

by Anonymousreply 82September 1, 2013 7:02 AM

[quote]I know someone who's worked with him and he said he's a complete fucking asshole.

Was this recent or during his drug days?

by Anonymousreply 83September 1, 2013 1:32 PM

Its called getting lazy not old I weigh less than high school 50 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 84September 19, 2013 7:39 AM

This is a good opportunity to remember the scene where James Spader gets down with DL fave Elias Koteas in Crash. Note the raw homosexual hunger between these men as they get ritualistic tattoos and explore each other's scarred male bodies. Director David Cronenberg notes that the actors generated considerable chemistry in this scene, and Elias has also admitted in interviews that Spader was a very good kisser (a clear indication that he was leaking a clotted stream of Cowper's fluid through his meatus at the time).

Do you think when the scene was over, Spader rested his clean-shaven yuppie jaw against the veiny slab of Grecian salami that was heavily bulging inside Elias's pants, and softly murmured "One more take, Cronenberg"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 19, 2013 11:48 AM

I'm excited for his new show

by Anonymousreply 86September 23, 2013 5:43 PM

He was on Jimmy Fallon last week and even though he looks somewhat old, I thought he looked good.

by Anonymousreply 87September 23, 2013 5:46 PM

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 23, 2013 5:49 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 23, 2013 5:51 PM

I saw Cary Elwes in the 2011 Wonder Woman pilot and he was heavy but didn't look terrible. Even seemed to have his hair.

He just looked pretty sorry compared to Justin Bruening, who played Steve Trevor.

by Anonymousreply 90September 23, 2013 6:06 PM

Ugh R88 that pic reminds me of his imdb profile pic which needs to be changed asap! Do publicists and agents even do anything? seriously he probably has one of the worst ever. Even writers have better ones and they don't even need to.

by Anonymousreply 91September 23, 2013 6:08 PM

He looks so much better now than when he was on that David E. Kelly show. And shaving his head so the hair loss is less noticable was a smart move. I also like that he is a real New Yorker at heart. He's getting great reviews for the new show. I hope it does well. He's one of my favorite actors.

by Anonymousreply 92September 23, 2013 6:25 PM

Given how much Michael Shanks looked like James Spader in Stargate, I pray he ages better. I'd love to be in the middle of a Michael Shanks - Ben Browder sandwich...

Comparison of Shanks in the Stargate series in link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 23, 2013 6:44 PM

by Anonymousreply 94September 23, 2013 7:56 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 23, 2013 8:00 PM

You don't need to be an alcoholic or drug user to become bloated. Eating a lot will do it.

by Anonymousreply 96September 23, 2013 8:06 PM

Actually now having seen more than promo shots...the trailer leaves an interesting premise but honestly something that should be a film. It reminds me of Person of Interest meets the Bone Collector.

And the shaved head would be for this role.

by Anonymousreply 97September 24, 2013 4:30 AM

most pretty boys age badly.

by Anonymousreply 98September 24, 2013 4:42 AM

I saw James Spader recently and he was nearly bald.

by Anonymousreply 99September 24, 2013 4:44 AM

Sorry I was referring to his new show The Blacklist

R99 I think its for his new show

by Anonymousreply 100September 24, 2013 4:57 AM

What happened to Parminder Nagra? One of the things I liked about [italic]Alcatraz[/italic] was how pretty she looked glammed up as a 60s professional woman. Now she looks hard with baggage under her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 101October 15, 2013 2:17 AM

Eh, I'm only in my late 20s/early 30s and I actually think Spader is hotter now. When he was younger, it just didn't do it for me (I never saw him in motion, just the photo presented here). His whole aura/persona/whatever is very sexually charged in the Blacklist, probably why so many people are tuning in. Not that he comes onto the young FBI agent, but there's something very sexual and charismatic about him in the way he interacts with everyone.

by Anonymousreply 102October 15, 2013 2:30 AM

Spader is not a drug addict or an alcoholic. He likes good food. He's kinda passionate about food. The amazing thing is that he's as thin as he is.

He's also a great cook. He claims that he can fry the perfect egg.

by Anonymousreply 103October 15, 2013 12:44 PM

Post-middle age paunch happens.

He still has his sexy voice though.

by Anonymousreply 104October 21, 2013 5:40 PM

I was just watching him in "Baby Boom" yesterday and I can't believe that it's the same person that we see today. I would never expect someone to look the same as they did 26 years ago, but my goodness, he doesn't even resemble his former self.

by Anonymousreply 105October 21, 2013 5:51 PM

Welcome to real life, kids.

by Anonymousreply 106October 28, 2013 2:05 AM

This represents Datalounge kids

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 28, 2013 2:10 AM

Some of his peers remained in great shape and their careers have continued to thrive and far exceed his, you know.

by Anonymousreply 108October 28, 2013 2:18 AM

He's happy with himself, and is doing fine with his career, Lincoln (and the film didn't bombed), new tv show, main role for Marvel/Avengers in the making, so you little babies need to stop complaining about him not looking like Colton Haynes.

by Anonymousreply 109October 28, 2013 2:42 AM

He's become middle-aged, which beats the alternative. He's working (I like "Blacklist"), he appears to have a successful relationship. He should eat what he wants and be happy - as should we all.

I'd be interested in his perfect egg technique. Is it similar to Marco Pierre White's? That's basically a 'poach it in butter in a frying pan' method.

by Anonymousreply 110October 28, 2013 2:42 AM

That's almost exactly his method, R110. Lots of butter, medium low heat, lots of basting. Voila: perfect fried egg.

by Anonymousreply 111October 28, 2013 2:49 AM

He doesn't seem to be bald so why shave his head for the new show? It looks awful, as if he has a ball sitting on his shoulders, it's not a good look.

by Anonymousreply 112October 28, 2013 2:53 AM

is he bi? he pings to me but not as completely gay

by Anonymousreply 113October 28, 2013 2:54 AM

He's right, R111. That makes a perfect fried egg.

R113, the only things I've ever heard about him were het. Gay-friendly, not a dick about it, but I'm just a gossip. I don't know the guy.

by Anonymousreply 114October 28, 2013 4:54 AM

I was just watching his '80s film "Tuff Turf" yesterday, and he was one hot piece of ass back then. Tight and toned with thick thighs and a nice fat ass.

by Anonymousreply 115October 29, 2013 12:22 AM

R112 it's in character for the role, he said in an interview "The way his life has been for the last 20 years, he’s moving from place to place. I thought that he should have a haircut that he could do himself, if he cares to, or he could go to some barbershop in Cambodia and cut his hair in 10 minutes."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 29, 2013 11:32 PM

I just have to express my admiration for this man. I watch him in The Practice and Boston Legal and... I don't know if there is a sexier role IN THE WORLD than Alan Shore. It isn't easy to depict a conflicted yet heroic character like him. I think James deserves more love from us all, no matter what he looks like.

by Anonymousreply 117November 18, 2013 5:33 PM

I love him too, R117. I've gotten lots of pleasure watching him in all those different roles.

by Anonymousreply 118November 18, 2013 11:22 PM

there is no what happened...I still think he is still HOT and I just love the creepy powerful character he presents so eloquently in blacklist...imho he is still hot and I am into him even more...

by Anonymousreply 119November 22, 2013 6:56 PM

It can't happen to Cavill, James is a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 120November 22, 2013 7:01 PM

He should lose weight and get into drag.

He'd look as pretty as Cillian Muprhy

by Anonymousreply 121November 22, 2013 7:03 PM

I agree r117. He was the hottest man on television as Alan Shore. His confidence, intelligence, and sense of humor made the character so sexy.

by Anonymousreply 122November 22, 2013 7:10 PM

Only a few white people aged well.

by Anonymousreply 123November 22, 2013 7:19 PM

Sadly he is now fat and bald and nothing even close to his cute, sexy self - do you remember him in White Palace with Susan Sarandon? Man, he was something. Yes it can happen to everyone..

by Anonymousreply 124February 20, 2014 3:37 AM

James' sweet, sweet ass in "White Palace":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125February 20, 2014 3:41 AM

James shirtless in Sex, Lies and Videotape:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 20, 2014 3:42 AM

Fat or thin, hair or not. I always find James Spader sexy. George Cloony, yuk, leaves me cold. Being sexy is more than just looks and Red in the Blacklist is way more than cloony who looks like a shop mannequin.

by Anonymousreply 127April 8, 2014 11:44 PM

He's ugly now with his mostly bald head. So sad. Maybe he should just shave his head and grow a mustache and short beard.

by Anonymousreply 128February 2, 2015 3:19 AM

He really was sexy in Sex, Lies and Videotapes and he was still sexy in The Watcher.

by Anonymousreply 129February 2, 2015 3:30 AM

Any tea about him and Keanu in The Watcher?

I always assumed he had some fun with Jami Gertz in Less Than Zero, and Andrew McCarthy always seemed like a drooling puppy around him.

by Anonymousreply 130May 10, 2015 6:37 PM

He did gain for awhile but I think he's lost most of it. Guys lose their hair, nothing new or awful about that. It's simply what happens to most guys. It has nothing to do with letting yourself go.

He isn't hideous at all...he's a nice looking man.

by Anonymousreply 131May 10, 2015 7:31 PM

He was hot in "Star Crossed" and "Dream Lover" (with the even lovelier Madchen Amick.)

by Anonymousreply 132May 10, 2015 9:45 PM

He was once a sex symbol. He was also once 29, a party-boy, and a sex-obsessed addict. Chill. My over-60 Boomer boss has a crush on him as he is now, as do I, a late Gen-Xr. He's hot, now and then, because he exudes confidence.

He's calm, clean and centred now, and heavily into his work. What does the rest matter? He's 55 years old, he's got better priorities than his hair, his libido and his adrenaline levels.

He's done some excellent roles in the last 5 years, and I'll think he'll be remembered well for his contributions to screen acting. Still, Steff McKee of 'Pretty in Pink' is still my favourite part of his. I have very seldom seen hetero bedroom scenes in movies that convince, but Steff and Benny's post-coital smugness always works for me. They radiate as drunken, slutty, tanned-and-trustfunded jerks in lust.

"Oh, well, it's VERY nice to meet you, Andie.."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 10, 2015 11:23 PM

What happened??

Pizza Hut came up with their $11.00 large pizza specials

by Anonymousreply 134May 10, 2015 11:25 PM

He's no Chuck Woolery....now there's a man!

by Anonymousreply 135May 10, 2015 11:37 PM

Funny how in White Palace it was supposed to be strange that the young James spader would be hooking up with the older Susan Sarandon. People were supposed to ask, "What dos he see in her. If they were a couple in real life now, they'd be asking, "what does she see in HIM?"

by Anonymousreply 136May 10, 2015 11:48 PM

He looks fine, just older. Actually I kind of think he looks better than when he was young. But then I'm old too.

by Anonymousreply 137May 11, 2015 12:36 AM

He did have a hot ass back when he made White Palace!

by Anonymousreply 138May 11, 2015 1:13 PM

White Palace was one of the better films to come out of that era; it's striking how much Sarandon and Spader resembled one another--their eyes in particular.

Spader's appeal (in addition to his slamming body) was his kind of opaque remoteness, in some roles: it isn't/wasn't hard for audiences to project their own fantasies onto him, hence the large gay following, IMHO.

In "Crash," I wanted Elias Koteas to fuck the living shit out of Spader--and then do it again, for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 139May 11, 2015 2:23 PM

Jack's Back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140May 11, 2015 6:40 PM

Is it me, or have 80's movies only just started looking really dated? Less than 10 years ago I could watch one comfortably without getting distracted by the period settings, fashion or parlance. I find James' earliest films difficult to take in, now.

by Anonymousreply 141May 18, 2015 8:31 AM

I'm 21 and I'd let the current james spader do illegal things to me...he's hot as hell...his voice is porn...he's a perverted middle age man...he's sex on legs...and he was the most gorgeous boy in the world in the 80s...and he didn't have any nose job, there are pics when he was in his teenager days with Kennedy and his nose has always been perfect and graceful...he's the man of my dreams..I would need a time machine to fuck him when he was 20, and now I would bang him too

by Anonymousreply 142May 26, 2016 1:36 PM

I've always thought Spader acted like an upper crust gay man like he had graduated like he had graduated from the Collegiate School in NYC, and his daddy was Thurston Howell III.

by Anonymousreply 143May 26, 2016 1:44 PM

I suspect he grew tired of not being taken more seriously so he sabotaged his looks. While I never really liked him in the 80's and 90's he was easy on the eyes and was aging great, he looked gorgeous on this 2000 movie called Super Nova and has a sex scene with Angela Bassett, hot as all fuck. A bisexual's dream.

by Anonymousreply 144December 29, 2016 7:40 PM

You bumped a thread from 2011 to post that?

F&F.

by Anonymousreply 145December 29, 2016 8:02 PM

Watching Secretary, which although he was not unattractive in The a Practice and Boston Legal was his last gasp of beauty, he’s kind of sweaty and pink.

And looking at him now, well. Coke? Booze?

He used to be a yoga teacher. Maybe he just did stretches and stuff and never hit the gym other than for that Angela Bassett movie.

by Anonymousreply 146November 29, 2019 7:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!