Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jill Clayburgh (Unmarried Woman) died a year ago today

I know there's another thread but she deserved to be remembered with her name spelt/spelled right.

I'm reading a new book about Mazursky, written by Sam Wasson who wrote the book about Breakfast At Tiffany's.

Apparently, Mazursky, wanted Jane Fonda for the role of Erica Benton, but Fonda said it wasn't political enough. Anyway, I'm very glad Jill got the role. Very glad.

Also, there was a scene with Martin's girlfriend. The actress was so bad, Mazursky had to cut it out. I wonder who the actress was.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

Here's the link to the new Mazursky book:-

by Anonymousreply 111/05/2011

I'll definitely check out that book. Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 211/05/2011

I've been reading some more of the book. HIGHLY recommended, R2. All in the form of interviews, inclduing interviews with people who were involved in the making of his films.

by Anonymousreply 311/06/2011

Starting Over is a gem of a film, better now than when it came out and the very best work ever from Jill, Burt Reynolds and Candy Bergen.

by Anonymousreply 411/06/2011

Wonderfully funny scene between Kristen Wiig and Jill in Bridesmaids where they discuss Jill's going to AA. A lovely swan song for Jill althouh she looked very sick in the movie of course.

by Anonymousreply 611/06/2011

I still think her performance in An Unmarried Woman was far more deserving of the Oscar that year than Fonda's overrated, wooden acting in Coming Home.

by Anonymousreply 711/06/2011

Totally disagree with you R7

That was Fonda's year with no trouble. She brought the film to the screen herself and everything so they had to give her something.

by Anonymousreply 811/06/2011

I totally agree with, R7. Coming Home left me cold and I've never had any desire to see it again since it came out.

by Anonymousreply 1011/06/2011

[quote]That was Fonda's year with no trouble. She brought the film to the screen herself and everything so they had to give her something.

Ingrid Bergman won most of the Oscar precursors that year and had she not won just four years before for Murder on The Orient Express, she would have won her 3rd Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1111/06/2011

R4, that film is a gem.

I'm from Boston and loved that they shot it there.

It was a big thing for teachers to go for their masters degrees back then so Jill's character, Marilyn, shouting that out was classic and got a big laugh in the theater.

Candy was great in it, too. Her Murphy Brown had a bad habit of Punching! Every! Line! And! It! Wasn't! Funny!

But she was hilarious in Starting Over.

The film has a brief cameo by Kevin Bacon in the department store.

by Anonymousreply 1211/06/2011

Talking of Boston movies reminded me of, Next Stop Wonderland, which is mostly, apart from a few flaws, really good.

by Anonymousreply 1311/06/2011

She was a great actress. No doubt.

by Anonymousreply 1411/06/2011

I was watching Bridesmaids for the first time last night when I looked her up and realized it was the anniversary of her death. She was great in that small part, though as previously noted, obviously in poor health. I'm glad she got that one last good little part.

by Anonymousreply 1511/07/2011

Her vomit scene really grossed me out as a kid. I never liked to watch her in things because I was always reminded of that.

by Anonymousreply 1611/07/2011

[quote]But she was hilarious in Starting Over.

I don't know why you say that, she had none of the funny lines.

[quote]Coming Home left me cold and I've never had any desire to see it again since it came out.

I agree and I agree that Jill should have won that year, but 'Coming Home' was considered the more heavyweight title...one of the first Vietnam movies.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.