Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Foie Gras Or Veal - Which of the two meats is more Barbaric?

Which of the two do you refuse to eat? Or do you not care, and not worrying about the ethics of how they are prepared.

by Anonymousreply 5906/21/2013

Love them both. But feel guiltiest about eating pork.

by Anonymousreply 111/04/2011

Maybe we should try and confront and deal with all of the human rights atrocities in the world before we move on to cows.

by Anonymousreply 211/04/2011

I've always wanted to try foie gras.

by Anonymousreply 311/04/2011

I can think the greatest honor that can be accorded a goose is the chance to provide the world with tasty foie gras.

And veal--yum! Especially that made from calves that are fed only foie gras.

by Anonymousreply 411/04/2011

how about a third option, both are types of meat that have been around for centuries, but only now a "bad" thing thanks to propaganda from animal rights groups.

by Anonymousreply 511/04/2011

slavery was around for millenia - does that make it pardonable?

by Anonymousreply 611/04/2011

Neither. We are a meat eating people.

by Anonymousreply 711/04/2011

OP needs to check her dictionary for the meaning of "Barbaric." (sic)

R6 shouldn't aspire to difficult rhetorical devices when she can't spell. It make her look like what she is, which she probably tries to avoid.

I abhor giving extended animals pain in the service of our lives. Therefore the conditions most beef cattle endure fall in the same category of "unacceptable" to me as what commercial veal calves and liver-plumped geese experience. It is possible for veal, foie gras, beef and pork products to be gleaned from butchery after the animals have been given comfortable lives.

Naturally people who are not meat-eating omnivores will find fault with this stance. They can suck eggs. Commercial ones.

by Anonymousreply 811/04/2011

I'm a fan of both and dining on either is not barbaric.

That bein said, I would draw the line at Ortolans.

by Anonymousreply 911/04/2011

When I waited tables it was pretty much a given that anyone who ordered Foie Gras or veal would be an asshole. It's the one stereotype that I always found to be true. ALWAYS.

by Anonymousreply 1011/04/2011

There are ways to raise veal that are not barbaric. OP's myth was busted along time ago.

by Anonymousreply 1111/04/2011

Veal = Baby Cows Are Slaughters

Foie Gras = Fowl is forced fed until their insides burst and die.

This is not barbaric?

by Anonymousreply 1211/04/2011

Tiny Meat is most barbaric. It's the Lord's way of condemning you to be a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 1311/04/2011

I've tasted both, and foie gras is DELICIOUS!!! Veal is nothing special.

Foie gras isharder to resist, therefore it's the bigger problem.

by Anonymousreply 1411/04/2011

R12, again, dictionary, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1511/04/2011

anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 1611/05/2011

How is foie gras barbaric? They're only feeding a goose as though it were American.

by Anonymousreply 1711/05/2011

R6 think Really REALLY hard about the difference between human slavery and veal.

You fucking PETA nuts drive me up the wall. Always so precious and self-satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 1811/05/2011

I didn't know there was an ethical dilemma particular to veal - what is it?

by Anonymousreply 1911/05/2011

BIGOTRY!! Not even a single mention of the little lambs!

by Anonymousreply 2011/05/2011

They take tiny calves away from their overly bred moms and jam them into even tinier cages in the dark. They forcefeed them "milk" with no iron so they get anemic so they lick the bars of their pens till their tongues fall apart and they never see the sun.

by Anonymousreply 2111/05/2011

Wait- is the pate served with a baguette or water crackers?

by Anonymousreply 2211/05/2011

Is it true that only male calves are killed for veal & the females are kept to produce milk?.

by Anonymousreply 2311/06/2011

Veal can be produced from a calf of either sex and any breed, most veal comes from male calves of dairy cattle breeds.

by Anonymousreply 2411/06/2011

R21, does it work? Do they taste good?

by Anonymousreply 2511/06/2011

R15, if you would, please define 'barbaric' for us, dear.

by Anonymousreply 2611/06/2011

Why in the world make pâté out of foie gras?

Let's make confetti out of the Mona Lisa.

by Anonymousreply 2711/06/2011

These animals are not pets. They were put on earth for us to eat.

by Anonymousreply 2811/06/2011

Go to India and see what its like when you don't eat meat.

by Anonymousreply 2911/06/2011

I hate that I love them both. Foie Gras is better than butter.

by Anonymousreply 3011/06/2011

R21, I could not agree with you more. Far too many restaurants have the nerve to just call it "foie gras" or "foie gras maison" and leave you to your disappointment when you find that it is paté, not a beautifully seared piece of liver.

Foie gras can be made without cruelty, but it rarely is. It seems much more cruel to me than veal preparation. However, veal is not better than a good cut of fully-grown steak. Foie gras, perfectly prepared, is the best thing I have ever tasted.

I would gladly pay a premium for ethically produced foie gras, but I don't see a very large market in that. Oh well. For now I'm stuck with hiding my sin from god.

by Anonymousreply 3111/06/2011

Delightful, delicious, delectable!!

by Anonymousreply 3211/06/2011

PETA People Eating Tasty Animals

by Anonymousreply 3311/06/2011

[quote]They take tiny calves away from their overly bred moms and jam them into even tinier cages in the dark. They forcefeed them "milk" with no iron so they get anemic so they lick the bars of their pens till their tongues fall apart and they never see the sun.

If all you have is a stupid generalization that has currently little basis in fact you might say that. However that is NOT the way that grass-fed beef and their veal calves are raised today. They live in open pasture on their their mothers' gr4ass fed milk and are slaughtered at the appropriate age.

by Anonymousreply 3411/06/2011

but they are babies! they are killing babies! Babies! Babies! Babies!

by Anonymousreply 3511/06/2011

anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 3611/13/2011

All right! All right, r26!

There are all sorts of examples throughout history of why veal and foie gras are barbaric.

For a thousand years, so many societies have been oppressed by veal, from the Armenians to the Iowegians, whose daughters were pillaged and whose villages were raped.

And, of course, I need not mention what foie gras did to the poor Druids.

by Anonymousreply 3711/13/2011

I used to eat beef/veal. I visited one of my friends who owns a farm. During my stay, it just happened that my friend needed to get some of his cows to the slaughter house.

When the cows were herded to the truck, most of them had tears running down from their eyes. They cried in silence while going into the trailer.

I never eat beef again.

by Anonymousreply 3811/13/2011

Tears make them tender. YUM.

by Anonymousreply 3911/13/2011

Animals are to be eaten.

If we don't eat them, they'll eat each other.

by Anonymousreply 4011/13/2011

by Anonymousreply 4111/14/2011

I know it will sound odd to you all here, but when I was traveling in New Guinea I was staying in a village in rather rustic surroundings and was given a dish of what tasted like creamed liver. It was delicious. It turned out that when they attacked their enemies they routinely killed the children and harvested the good parts, and made a kind of terrine out of the liver and sweet breads. While most of their dishes were pretty basic and unseasoned, except for what they had started to bring in from the other parts of Indonesia, they used herbs in this dish that gave it a real delicacy.

I discussed the possibility that they might want to adapt this kind of cookery to pigmeat - the liver and brains - and consider exporting it, since the highly salted character kept pretty stable. But they insisted that they preferred using the traditional basis and that the lack of steady supplies would probably keep it from being marketable. And of course there was the stigma and question of how to brand it. Even in its original form I know the Chinese would have gone for it big.

by Anonymousreply 4211/14/2011

Janet Street Porter did a bit on that UK Gordon Ramsay show about veal (not Hell's Kitchen of the Nightmares one). She got people to eat it by stating that the veal was slaughtered at an older age than lamb -- which a lot of UK people love to consume. Most people then tried the veal and loved it.

by Anonymousreply 4311/14/2011

The Chinese won't go for it because only endangered species are tasty to them. Just ask the black rhino.

I'd be all for them eating their own people. It'll come to that when they've killed off every other animal.

by Anonymousreply 4411/14/2011

-anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 4501/01/2012

foie gras the last meal of James Gandolfini

by Anonymousreply 4606/21/2013

I'm with r2. People above animals, always. Crazed animal rights activists fight the facile fight. They know they have sentimentality on their side.

That said, veal is not my thing. I prefer not to support the factory farming paradigm. If the calf is free-range, I wouldn't have a problem at all. Still, it would never be my first choice as a meat.

Foie gras, on the other hand, is heaven on earth. My favorite presentation was small slices stacked inside a beef bone with a layer of marrow at the bottom. I could have eaten twenty servings.

by Anonymousreply 4706/21/2013

I do LOVE veal liver wrapped in foie gras and grilled. I once had it with baby lamb sweetbreads and it was a perfect luncheon menu.

But my favorite remains ortolans. If they're small enough - and I prefer nestlings - I can eat a half dozen, prepared the traditional way. But you have to keep changing the armagnac with each drowning.

But the Japanese are just disgusting. At least what I eat is dead when I chomp into it.

by Anonymousreply 4806/21/2013

Foie gras is not barbaric. Go watch a doc on YouTube.

Veal IS barbaric. No one should eat it.

by Anonymousreply 4906/21/2013

R49 being force-fed is not barbaric?

by Anonymousreply 5006/21/2013

It is interesting there is this kickback on veal and foie gras.

A scale of 1 to 10 (1 being least cruel, 10 being most cruel) if you put veal and foie gras at 10 - I think you have to put the vast majority of beef, pork and poultry consumed in the US at 9.5.

I have a friend who goes out into the surrounding rural areas to buy all her meat and poultry from local farmers. Her basic rule is she won't eat any meat or poultry which she hasn't seen how it was raised and killed. Her standards are very strict and very humane.

I have to say best steak and fried chicken I've ever had was at her house.

by Anonymousreply 5106/21/2013

Don't eat either and won't eat either. Also don't eat pork. Still working on beef and chicken. :(

by Anonymousreply 5206/21/2013

I like them both, only occasionally. Lovely.

by Anonymousreply 5306/21/2013

Cows won't produce milk unless they calve. Dairy farmers can't raise every single calf born to adulthood. A farm of finite space can only sustain just so many grazing cows. Veal calves are a necessary by-product of the dairy industry. You can righteously avoid veal, but if you want milk or cheese or butter, those veal calves are part of the process that provides you with them.

by Anonymousreply 5406/21/2013

God, I hope I get a better-paying job so I can afford to become a vegetarian.

by Anonymousreply 5506/21/2013

The usual meat-beaters going after the meat-eaters here.

Can't we all just gut along?

by Anonymousreply 5606/21/2013

The vast majority of chickens , cows and pigs are raised in a barbaric and also very unhealthy for us and them way. They have become science projects who can't even walk at slaughter time.

So if you are going to care about how veal an foie gras are treated eat free range/ grass fed no hormone chicken, beef, pork.

by Anonymousreply 5706/21/2013

I've never (knowigly) eaten foie gras, but since I don't like liver, I assume I wouldn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 5806/21/2013

I plan to open a restaurant featuring only baby meats: veal, Cornish hens (which really are just very, very young chickens these days), yearling lamb, piglet, etc.

We'll have cages of puppies and kittens decorating the foyer as guests walk in, with a sign reading, "You pick 'em, we stick 'em! They'll be fall-off-the-bone tender in no time!"

by Anonymousreply 5906/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!