Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Aunt Clara rocked!

I grew up on "Bewitched" episodes and now have them on DVD and love them still. However, it was sad when we lost Marian Lorne, who played Aunt Clara. She was great. Sympathetic to Darrin and Samantha's situation with the rest of the family. Although she did screw up a lot, it was hard not to love her. And you could tell that Liz Montgomery really had a lot of affection for Marian Lorne in real life.

by Anonymousreply 67May 30, 2014 3:44 AM

Loved Aunt Clara, but was there anyone Liz didn't like? She seems like a real treasure.

by Anonymousreply 1November 3, 2011 2:53 PM

Loved her.

by Anonymousreply 2November 3, 2011 2:57 PM

Loved it when Endora's powers transferred to Aunt Clara for a short time, and Aunt Clara decided to go sailing...in the middle of the street! "Abner, our street has turned into a harbor!"

by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2011 3:05 PM

If you like Marion Lorne as Aunt Clara you should buy the two MISTER PEEPERS DVD sets. She played the English teacher, Mrs. Gurney, on this long-neglected gem of a series.

She is even funnier here than on BEWITCHED, in part because MISTER PEEPERS is grounded in reality with none of the foolishness of spells gone wrong. Mrs. Gurney is an endearing and entirely believable character.

Lorne was married to a stage actor-manager in real life. Playing an English teacher who recites poetry and Shakespeare gives her frequent occasion to show off her Classical stage training.

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2011 6:42 PM

What cow?

by Anonymousreply 5November 3, 2011 7:13 PM

One of my favorite TV characters, ever!

by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2011 7:21 PM

One of my favorite things about her character was she brought out Darrin's sweeter side: he always liked her (alone of Samantha's relatives), and his kindness toward her proved he wasn't entirely a racist against all witches.

(Similarly--all this was much more subtle--, despite all her cruelty to Darrin and all her disparaging talk about mortals, Endora was usually very pleasant to Darrin's father, who genuinely liked her.)

by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2011 8:07 PM

The writers of Bewitched sometimes did really nice subtle things about the interrelations of the characters. One of the things I loved was how Larry really got a kick out of Endora and just treated her like she was just one of the gang, and never seemed to notice how invariably frosty Endora was to him (she didn't want to torment him the way she wanted to torment Darrin, but she just didn't care for his loud backslapping manner).

LARRY: "Hey there's Endora, how ya doin' old girl?"

ENDORA: "How do you do, Mister Tate..."

by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2011 8:15 PM

[quote]Loved Aunt Clara, but was there anyone Liz didn't like? She seems like a real treasure.

Montgomery was not a fan of Sandra Gould, who played the second Gladys Kravitz after Alice Pearce died. Part of that was probably because she had been very close with Pearce and loved her interpretation of the character. Gould was just shrill and annoying. Gould has said in interviews that Montgomery was not very friendly towards her.

by Anonymousreply 9November 4, 2011 12:51 AM

I had only seen Sandra Gould as Gladys before Nick at Night reran the series in the 90s. I totally fell in love with Alice Pearce. She is Gladys. I never enjoyed Sandra's Gladys again after seeing Alice in the role.

by Anonymousreply 10November 4, 2011 1:02 AM

Alice Pearce was so great as Mrs. Kravitz--there was a kind of sweet pathos to the character. She was incredibly snoopy, and the witchcraft freaked her out, but she wasn't mean-spirited towards the Stevenses--she just wanted to know what was going on over there across the street on Morning Glory Circle. I agree Sandra Gould was pretty annoying and shrill.

by Anonymousreply 11November 4, 2011 1:07 AM

I always thought it fascinating that though Liz and Dick York got along well, it was Dick Sargent whom she really adored. She loved her gays.

by Anonymousreply 12November 4, 2011 1:08 AM

One of my favorite Aunt Clara episodes was when she was visited by an old paramour and she was afraid to tell him that she was losing her powers. As it turned out, he was suffering the same fate. At the end of the episode, Aunt Clara is proud to show off the door knob she was given as a present for her collection, which was a reflection upon Marian Lorne who collected them in real life.

by Anonymousreply 13November 4, 2011 1:45 AM

Loved her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 4, 2011 2:07 AM

I wished they would have done an episode explaining what happened to Aunt Clara. Did she turn herself into something useful?

by Anonymousreply 15November 4, 2011 2:20 AM

Marion Lorne also played Robert Walker's mother in Strangers On a Train. She was doing the loopy old lady routine even as early as 1951!

by Anonymousreply 16November 4, 2011 3:59 AM

I always wondered why Clara had such a normal sounding name compared to her sisters Endora, Hagatha, and Enchantra ?

by Anonymousreply 17November 4, 2011 4:24 AM

I saw Sandra Gould as Enda Kravitz in reruns years before I knew there was even another Edna, so Mrs. Kravitz will always be Sandra Gould to me. I like her performance.

by Anonymousreply 18November 4, 2011 4:29 AM

[quote]I saw Sandra Gould as Enda Kravitz in reruns

r18, the character's name was Gladys, not Edna.

by Anonymousreply 19November 4, 2011 11:08 AM

I loved Aunt Clara, too. I hope I end up like her, and not Uncle Arthur, when I'm a doddering eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 20November 4, 2011 11:36 AM

They eventually did replace Aunt Clara, only this time she was played by Alice Ghostley as the character Bernice on Designing Women.

by Anonymousreply 21November 4, 2011 1:56 PM

There was no way that Aunt Clara was "replaced," by the horrible and annoying Esmarelda. She didnt have the charm and there wasn't the affection in the relationship between Sam and Clara (and as someone else mentioned, Darrin.) Clara was more of a character where Esie was a plot device. I don't know why 60's shows didnt address death at all, they could have just had Sam say, "I miss Aunt Clara," and Darrin could say, "I do too!" and that would be that. Did they ever clarify if she was Endora's sister or Maurice's?

I too grew up on Gould's Gladys, and didnt know there was another until they started showing the B & W ones and I love the first Gladys, neurotic, nervous, freaked out, but not mean spirited. Gould's Gladys was mean spirited and actually more defiant of Sam's witchcraft, which could have been interesting if she wasn't so shrill. I do like how you Sam and Darrin feel sorry for the first Gladys, while they almost seem to smirk when Gould's Gladys has a breakdown.

Speaking of mean spirited and annoying, the second Darrin was all that and more. I HATED him.

by Anonymousreply 22November 4, 2011 2:22 PM

ENDA Kravitz used her snooping skills constructively to battle discrimination against gays in the workplace. If someone living on Morning Glory Circle mentioned that the new mail clerk at the office was "artistic" or "flamboyant," you can be sure that ENDA would root through his garbage to find something embarrassing and spread it around town in retribution.

by Anonymousreply 23November 4, 2011 2:35 PM

Love you, r23

Yes, ENDA Kravitz was the Randy Shilts of Morning Glory Circle.

by Anonymousreply 24November 4, 2011 2:45 PM

Speaking of...what is up with the remake of Bewitched on CBS and will they finally talk about Uncle Aurthur being gay? I would love to see the new Aurthur pop into Sam's kitchen with his new boy toy (you know Aurthur would be a troll) to further aggravate an uptight Darrin!!!

by Anonymousreply 25November 4, 2011 2:59 PM

The implication was that Aunt Clara was Maurice's sister, and not Endora's. Endora could be nasty to Clara, including the plot in Season 3 to declare her "earthbound"! Also, Endora arranged for Hedley Partridge, Clara's old flame to visit her so he could see she's lost her powers! Serena was also related to Maurice, not Endora.

by Anonymousreply 26November 4, 2011 3:12 PM

Before she started playing Esmeralda, Alice Ghostley had a really funny guest spot as a woman who was interviewing for a position as the Stephenses' housekeeper. She talked matter-of-factly about her "inedible cooking" and such. Right after Alice died, someone included it in a tribute clip on YouTube, but I can't find it now.

by Anonymousreply 27November 4, 2011 3:13 PM

Loved Alice Pearce as Gladys. She was just so confused. Her scream and shriek when she ran home was classic. Sandra Gould was shrill and nasty, and trying to get Samantha into trouble with the authorities! Wonder which Gladys was preferred by Abner (George Tobias)?

by Anonymousreply 28November 4, 2011 3:14 PM

Are you sure it wasn't AM who hated Gould? Montgomery was an incredibly genial woman and Gould was universally liked as a person. Agnes was dismayed by the recasting.

by Anonymousreply 29November 4, 2011 3:43 PM

According to interviews Gould has given, it was definitely Montgomery. But like I said, Montgomery had been very close to Alice Pearce so it may have just been hard for her deal with any new actress playing that character who reminded her of her friend. I don't think it was that she hated Gould, just didn't care for her interpretation of the character, which as others have pointed out was much more mean-spirited than Pearce's portrayal. What I've always wondered was why Montgomery didn't have more say into who got cast in the part. She was the star of the show and her husband was the producer. Seems like she could have chosen who she wanted to play the part.

I couldn't find the interview I saw of Gould relating the story. I think it may have been on the E! True Hollywood Story about "Bewitched." I think it's also mentioned in Herbie Pilato's book about the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 4, 2011 5:06 PM

Alice Pearce is so unforgettableas Lucy Schmeeler, "girl of mystery" in ON THE TOWN--she's so homely, and she's so bizarre with her weird health problems, and yet you can't help liking her (and neither can Gene Kelly's Gaby).

I hugely disliked the replacement of Pearce with Gould as Mrs. Kravitz, but I have never minded the replacement of Dick York with Dick Sargent. If York had to go 9as he did because of his horrible back problems), it completely made sense to me he would be replaced by Sargent in the part. You could sense that York and Elizabeth Montgomery were genuinely physically attracted to one another when the show started (they had great chemistry), but you could also sense that Sargent and Montgomery (who were in good friends in real life) were very comfortable in each other's presence--they seemed like a genuine married couple who had been together for several years and who had lost the sexual spark but still like being with each other. And though Sargent wasn't nearly the hilarious physical comedian Dick York was, he also didn't have the nervous anger (bordering on near hysteria) that york used to such terrific comic effect; you felt Sargent's Darrin had decided he couldn't get all that angry anymore at Sam's relations, and so his major weapon now was passive-aggressive bitchiness rather than explosive wrath, which made sense for the character. And he was also always very believable with the child actors (he seemed a natural father). When York left, Darrin ceased to be the comic center of the show, but by that time there were so many other strong performances by the supporting characters (and Montgomery and Moorhead could always more than hold their own) that it didn't really matter.

by Anonymousreply 31November 4, 2011 5:22 PM

I believe Dick Sargent was the original choice to play Darrin, but couldn't because of a film commitment, so the role was offered to Dick York.

by Anonymousreply 32November 4, 2011 5:28 PM

Agnes loved Dick York, but didn't care for Dick Sargent. You can see that in their scenes together. There is the great scene in Season 2 when Tabitha is born, and Endora and Darrin are both crying at the same time. "Are you a good swimmer?"

by Anonymousreply 33November 4, 2011 7:46 PM

Actually Endora could be very caring with "Clara," When she arranged for the date with Clara';s ex it was really because she wanted someone to take care of Clara, but in typical Endora way, she didn't take Clara's feelings into consideration. Actually the end of the episode she makes the house smell like orange blossoms and is seen floating in the air, playing the violin while Clara and her boyfriend dance (ahh!!) I can't believe I know this stuff.

The times Endora is mean to Clara, (besides her usual brow beating of everyone in sight) is more of a plot device thing then a continuing theme. Its interesting to watch that even when Bewitched becomes more cartoony, that AM manages to make Endora have different sides, (loving with Sam, doting on grandchildren, exasperated but amused by Serena) even making it seem in the last few years that she had actually grown to like "Dodo," but loved to just bug the shit out of him for kicks!

by Anonymousreply 34November 4, 2011 7:51 PM

Endora was amazing on that show. Loved how she was always pulling Dumdum's chain!

by Anonymousreply 35November 4, 2011 8:18 PM

Montgomery actually was very supportive of Sargent and was co-Grand Marshall with him at the Gay Pride Parade.

by Anonymousreply 36November 4, 2011 8:22 PM

Love the show and its real genius.

[quote]Alice Pearce was so great as Mrs. Kravitz--there was a kind of sweet pathos to the character.

Wiki states that she was diagnosed with terminal cancer prior to the beginning of production...she kept it a secret...and there you are.

by Anonymousreply 37November 4, 2011 8:28 PM

A remarkable thing to consider about Marion Lorne is that she was eighty years old when she began playing Aunt Clara. She died just a couple months short of her 85th birthday in 1968.

by Anonymousreply 38November 4, 2011 8:33 PM

[quote]One of my favorite Aunt Clara episodes was when she was visited by an old paramour

He was played by the inimitable Charlie Ruggles. What a fun couple!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 4, 2011 8:39 PM

Loved Aunt Calra and her Doorknob collection. She could not resit!

by Anonymousreply 40November 4, 2011 11:32 PM

Poor Alice Pearce was very sick in the 2nd season. You can see how thin she is, and that she is wearing a wig. Probably do to chemo her hair fell out. She was out for a time when Abner's sister, played by the wonderful Mary Grace Canfield (Ralph the Carpenter on Green Acres), kept house in her absence. Alice was too sick to work. Interesting that we didn't see Gould in Season 3 until about the 4th or 5th episode (when Endora moves across the street).

by Anonymousreply 41November 5, 2011 2:53 AM

I have observed of late that our own Liza Minelli is turining into Aunt Clara. Has anyone else noticed this?

by Anonymousreply 42November 5, 2011 3:01 AM

[R42] OMG!! You're right!

by Anonymousreply 43November 7, 2011 2:30 PM

Hagatha: Have either one of you flown with Clara lately?

Bertha: I haven't.

Hagatha: Suicide! Sheer suicide!

by Anonymousreply 44November 7, 2011 2:47 PM

H: Clara! Stick to business

C: Oh, keep your shirt on!

by Anonymousreply 45November 8, 2011 3:36 PM

Aunt Clara was a doll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 8, 2011 3:52 PM

there was that famous scene in "The Graduate" when Dustin Hoffman walks into a wedding and meets both Aunt Clara and Esmerelda! The past and the future.

by Anonymousreply 47November 9, 2011 5:49 PM

LOVED her, man!!

by Anonymousreply 48November 9, 2011 11:56 PM

[quote]Aunt Clara rocked!

Yeah. In her chair.

by Anonymousreply 49November 9, 2011 11:58 PM

Endora, how old are you? I hear you admit to 1000!

by Anonymousreply 50November 10, 2011 3:48 PM

[quote]Pandora Spock, Ass't. Potions Editor, Harpie's Bizarre

Elizabeth Montgomery even had her own drag name. No wonder we loved her, and she us.

by Anonymousreply 51November 10, 2011 3:53 PM

Aunt Clara. Massive Pussyhound. Big Eisenhower supporter.

by Anonymousreply 52November 10, 2011 8:14 PM

Terrible elizabeth montgomery never won an emmy for this show. She kept losing to mary tyler moore, lucille ball and hope lange. Glad marion lorne won along with alice pearce. Agnes moorehead won but not for bewitched.

by Anonymousreply 53November 10, 2011 8:39 PM

[R52], Aunt Clara had a sign that read "Vote for Coolidge"!

by Anonymousreply 54November 11, 2011 6:40 PM

Love the clip, R46.

Her timing was great - love the way she throws away "Teach them a lesson" at the end.

by Anonymousreply 55November 11, 2011 7:06 PM

Loved when Aunt Clara said to Samantha, "Oh, you're such a nice girl." A lot of real affection there.

by Anonymousreply 56November 17, 2011 3:56 PM

With Thanksgiving coming up, don't forget when Aunt Clara wanted to visit "the girls I knew from Plymouth", and ended up zapping Sam, Darren, Tabitha and Mrs. Kravitz back to 17th century Plymouth!

by Anonymousreply 57November 21, 2011 6:00 PM

God bless you all for such a lovely thread/tribute.

I love each and every one of you.

by Anonymousreply 58May 27, 2014 8:52 AM

This is one of the truly classic TV sitcoms. WHAT A CAST! I can't say enough nice things about these actors.

The sfx delighted my sister and I when we were very young. There was nothing else like it at the time.

Marion Lorne was priceless, ditto Alice Pearce and George Tobias. Tabitha was one of the most beautiful children ever on TV.

Paul Lynde--a hilarious American treasure. I met him once, very low key and classy.

A great show that needs rebooted with and by talented people.

by Anonymousreply 59May 28, 2014 12:24 AM

Anyone who loved Marion Lorne in BEWITCHED should purchase the DVDs of MISTER PEEPERS, the early '50s TV series with Wally Cox and a young Tony Randall. It is a gentle comedy about a Jr. High science teacher. The show was aired live and all that's left are primitive but wonderfully funny kinescopes.

Marion Lorne is a constant delight as the befuddled English teacher. This was the show that brought her to fame in the USA when she was already in her late '60s. She is even funnier here than in BEWITCHED because she is younger and her timing is sharper.

by Anonymousreply 60May 28, 2014 4:14 AM

George Tobias pops up in a lot of old movies. I just saw one (a WWII all-star salute to the troops-type epic) where he did a song-and-dance number with Ida Lupino and Olivia DeHavilland!

by Anonymousreply 61May 28, 2014 4:17 AM

R61, that was "Thank Your Lucky Stars". It was on TCM recently and I happened to DVR it because I love those old all-star movies usually done during the middle 1940s for the war. The movie features a great scene with Humphrey Bogart and S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall with Bogart playing up his tough guy image and getting harassed by Sakall.

by Anonymousreply 62May 28, 2014 12:31 PM

R60 is right. A friend has those DVD's and she's absolutely hysterical as Mrs. Gurney, the befuddled English teacher.

by Anonymousreply 63May 30, 2014 2:11 AM

Alice Pearce is in love with the Creature from the Black Lagoon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 30, 2014 3:04 AM

Marion Lorne as Mrs. Gurney on MR. PEEPERS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 30, 2014 3:14 AM

One of my all-time favorite shows when it was in black and white. When it went to color it lost a lot of its charm. I still enjoyed it while it was in color but it wasn't the same. HATED the second Darrin. From the very instant she was on the show Erin Murphy was a delightful little creature. I can't understand how she was able to take direction so well for her little bits before she could even talk.

Alice Pearce truly was the shit. I loved all the cast. The one that showed Liz could really act was when Endora turned herself into Sam so she could do her dress fitting but also ended up having the fling with Darrin's friend. Bobby. Liz was Agnes playing Liz. I also loved Endora's unquestioning devotion to Tabitha.

And who could forget TV's first cunt? Sheila.

Elizabeth was just so fucking gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 30, 2014 3:28 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that Liza Minelli today looks and sounds like Aunt Clara? I can't get over the resemblance.

by Anonymousreply 67May 30, 2014 3:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!