Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How I Met Your Mother - How much longer is this show going to stick around?

I used to watch it and then drifted off, I just couldn't handle the increasing hamminess of Neil Patrick Harris and the fact that the entire cast has become so long in the tooth that the show is basically a parody of itself.

I notice it's still on the air and admit that I'd like to see who the "mother" ends up being, but how long are they going to squeeze the juice out of this show? It's so stale, they've done almost everything and from what I see of the previews each week, each episode is another "wacky" store of how that "wacky/zaney" Barney (NPH's character) "bags" another "chick". Really? This is still keeping this show on the air?

by Anonymousreply 8809/11/2013

Hang in there, OP.

They were renewed for two years. Next year is more than likely their last. I've been watching the show since the first episode and the writers seem to be tying up loose ends so that it ends next season.

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2011

Ted is the most boring "central" character in the history of television. I want his character's "kids" to jump him, beat the shit out of him, screaming "Enough of your boring stories, you big loser! Who cares how many failed relationships you had?"

If the kids in the opening turn out to kill him, then I'll tune in again. But it's one of the longest half hours in the history of half hour sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 211/02/2011

it so sucks

by Anonymousreply 311/02/2011

Who's the daddy?

Sorry, never watched it.

by Anonymousreply 411/02/2011

They can't even film the "kids" anymore because they're adults now.

Last season was especially bad with Barney trying to reconnect with his father and Marshall's dad dying. Were they all going for Emmy submissions?

by Anonymousreply 511/02/2011

I can't stand Jason Segel. The rest of the cast is not much better.

by Anonymousreply 711/02/2011

I can't believe Robin is pregnant. How ridiculous! And I'm sure Barney is the father. And my guess is its Robin who Barney ends up marrying. This show has gone downhill really fast. It was pretty good last season but this season is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 811/22/2011

R6, why in the fuck did you put a great show like "Big Bang Theory" in a thread about HIMYM? They're not even remotely on the same level.

by Anonymousreply 911/22/2011

What will become for most of the cast members when the show ends?

by Anonymousreply 1011/22/2011

The girl who plays Robin is terrible....she is the new Debra Messing.

by Anonymousreply 1111/22/2011

I watch maybe one or two episodes of this show per year.

But one of the episodes I saw knocked Robin out as the mother. In the voice over at the end, the Daddy says, "And that is how Aunt Robin..." did something.

by Anonymousreply 1211/22/2011

We know that, R12. But it's still possible that she's the one marrying Barney (not Ted).

by Anonymousreply 1311/22/2011

I hope it lasts awhile longer. It has an exciting cast of attractive, young, hungry and eager to please performers that make this show a winner.

by Anonymousreply 1411/22/2011

I NEVER got this show from its beginning. I've actually watched most of a dozen or so episodes, and I still don't get the premise.

An ersatz "Friends?"

by Anonymousreply 1511/22/2011

Her name is Cobie Smulders, MM.

by Anonymousreply 1611/23/2011

Josh Radnor is a closet case who thinks he is the new Woody Allen.

by Anonymousreply 1711/23/2011

What R14 said.

by Anonymousreply 1811/23/2011

I was late to the game and only started to watch it about three seasons ago. I still enjoy it and often catch the many reruns that are playing. Guess I'm the minority...

by Anonymousreply 1911/23/2011

I was hoping early in that Victoria (cup cake girl) would be the mother, but that's not in the cards.

by Anonymousreply 2003/29/2012

It actually is a rather innovation show, with it's retrospective narrative and it's frequent cut-aways.

by Anonymousreply 2203/29/2012

I think cupcake girl is going to turn out to be the mother.

by Anonymousreply 2303/29/2012

[quote]Boring white people show watched by boring white people.

Actually, if you break down the Neilsens, more people of color watch this show than white people by half. But nice racism there, racist.

by Anonymousreply 2403/29/2012

Actually Lily turns out to be the mother. They've been laying the groundwork for this awhile and there have been clues for years.

by Anonymousreply 2503/29/2012

How would that work, r25? He's referred to her as Aunt Lily since the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 2603/29/2012

Ted isn't the one who is doing the narrating. It's been Barney all along. Bob Saget provides the voice so the narration apply to anyone. Maybe it's Marshall.

by Anonymousreply 2703/29/2012

You're lying, R24. I guess the truth hurts too much.

by Anonymousreply 2803/29/2012

Neither Lily nor cupcake girl can be the mother.

by Anonymousreply 2903/29/2012

This show is the new "Friends" - the mediocre show that NEVER ends.

by Anonymousreply 3003/29/2012

It's funnier than Friends.

by Anonymousreply 3103/29/2012

CBS has nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 3203/30/2012

I'm tired of the show and want it to end, but they have me still watching just to see it through.

by Anonymousreply 3303/30/2012

I've only ever watched less than a minute or two at a time, randomly, in flipping channels, over how ever many years the thing has been on.

Always the same tedious bunch sitting around in the same cafe/restaurant/coffee house with the character who's saying something dramatic/comic evidently forced to stand to display his/her invisible "talking stick" and the significance of what's said.

The setting reminds me "Coupling," only with wholly unlikable characters, grim writing, and never a laugh or hint of anything half clever.

by Anonymousreply 3403/30/2012

R21 / R28 - Shouldn't you be off watching "Basketball Wives" or reading TheGrapeJuice?

by Anonymousreply 3503/30/2012

So, do you think they will announce the mother this season. Ashley Williams, as Victoria, will be in at least one episode and probably more.

by Anonymousreply 3606/24/2012

There have been too many episodes where the "narrator" talks about just missing meeting their mother, and they were all scenes of Ted.

Do they use the same kids or even show them anymore? They obviously aged while being told a very long, boring story with no point.

by Anonymousreply 3706/26/2012

Hate this show. First of all Doogie as this womanizing stud? Yeah right. I especially hate it because it is on whenever I turn the TV. It is run nonstop. FUCKING HATE IT.

by Anonymousreply 3806/26/2012

They have filmed all the reaction shots w/Ted's kids early on knowing that the kids would age during the years the show has been on. So the very final scene w/the kids on the couch has already been shot.

The most clever idea that i've read about who could play the mother would be to actually have the actress who plays Ted's daughter in the couch scenes play the mother, as now she is much older, 8 years older now I guess and looks more adult. That way they can tie in the mother and daughter looking alike. Would be pretty smart.

by Anonymousreply 3906/26/2012

I don't watch any of them, but CBS sitcoms (or at least those lasting more than one season) are so highly rated that they generally only end when the producers decide to call it a day, HIMYM included. That used to be the case for NBC sitcoms, but no longer, although ratings on all NBC sitcoms across the board are low enough that they'd be canceled if they received similar ratings on CBS.

by Anonymousreply 4006/26/2012

R39 - that is a clever idea.

I'm also interested in the Barney -Robin story.

by Anonymousreply 4106/27/2012

Barney is the mother.

by Anonymousreply 4206/27/2012

NPH needs the checks to support his boyfriend/frau, David Burtka.

by Anonymousreply 4306/27/2012

This last episode was better with Barney's dog.

by Anonymousreply 4411/10/2012

Ted and Victoria's breakup was telegraphed repeatedly, but it was still a good moment.

by Anonymousreply 4512/01/2012

I always say the title in Mark Wahlberg voice- How I met ya mutha

by Anonymousreply 4612/01/2012

I was just discussing my hate for this show. What I hate is that they copied the Friends formula, without putting in the time Friends did in the early episodes of establishing and making you care about the characters. HIMYM just tells you these characters are friends but none of the relationships are earned. Which makes all the jokes and sorrows empty.

by Anonymousreply 4712/01/2012

Wrong R47 - they spent a great deal of time establishing the characters in the early seasons. Moreover, there's not that much similarity to Friends, at least not initially. You can't match any HIMYM characters to Friends characters.

That said, lately they have been recycling Friends plots.

by Anonymousreply 4812/01/2012

Wrong R 48. I love the show but even I recognize that they did copy the Friends formula, minus the heart. Early Friends would throw in episodes where that fleshed out and strengthen the friendships in a very real way. HIMYM, tried to do that in the earlier seasons in a very faux, cartoony, surface level way. Until they killed Marshall's dad, these characters never had a real moment that they didn't ultimately turn into a joke. And even Marshall's dad's death was just a distant clone of Ross and Monica's grandma's death.

by Anonymousreply 5012/01/2012

[quote] Aside from NPH, the most uninteresting group of sitcom actors ever assembled. I watched some of the first season and could not get past the permanent sinus infection sounds in their voices, like they need to cough up some phlegm or something. I could not find anything to CARE about the characters. If I saw people like this in a pub somewhere, they would be invisible to me. Or, they would just be the annoying people at the next table. Yawn.

My thoughts exactly. They are not even characters you love to hate. It's like staring at a bowl of cold, soggy oatmeal for 30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 5112/01/2012

I enjoyed the first three seasons immensely, seasons 4 and five were ok, seasons six and seven were awful, and I only watched because I felt invested in the damn show.

When I missed the first episode of the current season, I kept telling myself I'd catch up, but I never have.

I just don't care anymore.

I love, love LOVED Ugly Betty's Becki Newton as Quinn though. (season seven)

by Anonymousreply 5212/01/2012

Ted=Ross without Rachel Marshall= Ross with Rachel Lilly = Rachel/Phoebe mash-up Barney = Chandler/Joey mash-up (smart & womanizer) Robin = Monica with weird Canadian OCD

by Anonymousreply 5312/02/2012

I buy Ted=Ross without Rachel, but you're trying to hard with the others.

by Anonymousreply 5412/02/2012

[quote]They have filmed all the reaction shots w/Ted's kids early on knowing that the kids would age during the years the show has been on. So the very final scene w/the kids on the couch has already been shot.

The son grew up to be the hunk in Wizards of Waverly Place.

by Anonymousreply 5512/03/2012

Forget the rest of the cast, Ted is one of the most boring characters in the history of television. Who even cares if he finds the mother of his kids? His failure with women is documented in the history of the show and most of the women he dates are boring.

by Anonymousreply 5612/03/2012

I follow r53's logic

Ted is Ross without Rachel (given)

Marshall is Ross with Rachel (particularly during the cloying years of Ross and Rachel)

Lilly is Phebe (because they've endowed her with dozens of quirks, though her quirks are nowhere near as fun as Phebe's and Hannigan isn't half the actress)

Barney is a Chandler/Joey Mash-up (Very much so, Chandler is an hilarious corporate schill, Joey is a confident womanizer--Barney is both. They just eliminated Chandler's insecurity--though Barney and Chandler are equally gay.)

Robin doesn't work as well as Monica but ultimately the one sensible character ala Monica before Friends made her character completely nuerotic.

I think the comparison's work

by Anonymousreply 5712/04/2012

Josh Radnor is a major closet case.

by Anonymousreply 5812/04/2012

We have all heard that about Radnor, but he works with the poster child for out actors. Seems less likely.

by Anonymousreply 5912/04/2012

CBS confirms next 'How I Met Your Mother' season will be last

by Anonymousreply 6001/30/2013

YES! They're FINALLY going to end this shit after next season!

by Anonymousreply 6101/30/2013

IAFT. I gave up on it years ago. I love Barney, but what a bunch of douchebags the rest of them are.

by Anonymousreply 6201/30/2013

Oh yay, now the douche who plays Ted will have all the time he needs to make shitshows like "Happythankyoumoreplease" and "Liberal Arts."

Speaking of, WHET Zack Braff?

by Anonymousreply 6301/30/2013

I'm surprised at how popular this show has been given that it has one of the most annoying casts in recent sitcom history. I like NPH but his character is an annoying caricature which an only work in small doses. The rest you just want to punch in the brain.

by Anonymousreply 6401/30/2013

*can* not *an*

by Anonymousreply 6501/30/2013

End it AFTER next season?!? LOL!

Wish NPH would just go the fuck away already?

by Anonymousreply 6601/30/2013

This show has never gotten particularly good ratings, but CBS is paying out the nose to keep it. I don't understand. Let it die.

by Anonymousreply 6701/30/2013

[quote]I like NPH but his character is an annoying caricature which an only work in small doses.

Exactly! I like NPH but his character is so fucking fact the whole fucking show is irritating.

I can't wait until NPH does some more "serious" roles like he did when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 6801/30/2013

I can't wait until Doogie Howser turns 40 and comes home to Los Angeles with his husband David and goes into private practice as "Douglas Howser, MD."

by Anonymousreply 6901/30/2013

R68 He can go into practice with Justin Bartha's character (who IS named David) from "The New Normal."

by Anonymousreply 7001/30/2013

R69 Good idea! I want a Doogie Howser, MD reboot!

by Anonymousreply 7101/30/2013

R71: complete with diary entries at the end.

by Anonymousreply 7201/30/2013

I've never understood this show. It's second only to "Two Broke Girls" as a pile of comedic dung on CBS.

by Anonymousreply 7301/30/2013

Occasionally I check out 2 Broke Girls during a commercial on another channel, and yeah, R73, it really is surprisingly awful.

by Anonymousreply 7401/30/2013

The Broke Girl with dark hair is especially dungesque, R73.

by Anonymousreply 7501/30/2013

I have never been able to watch more than five minutes of this show. Even when I have been bored out of my mind. None of the characters are charming or interesting. Two Broke Girls suffers from the same problem. And now CBS is bringing back Rules of Engagement. The only bonafide comedic hit CBS has is Big Bang which is actually funny and worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 7601/30/2013

The show could not go on much longer. I hope they can end it well.

by Anonymousreply 7701/30/2013

R51 is right, these are just boring characters with no distinctions or personalities so you don't care about any of them.

Friends was just the opposite. You had 6 very distinct characters and you know their personalities and care about them. There is just no comparison to Friends at all so there's no point in even trying to match up these characters with the Friends characters.

by Anonymousreply 7801/31/2013

YAY! This crapfest is on it's final leg. And the mother is the yellow umbrella-ella-ella bitch. Yawn!

by Anonymousreply 7905/17/2013

Who r79?

All I know is that the big REVEAL got zero attention.

by Anonymousreply 8005/17/2013

The last season will take place in the day leading up to Barney and Robin's wedding.

by Anonymousreply 8105/17/2013

I've always hated this show. Don't know why, it just never stuck. Don't really dislike any of the actors.

by Anonymousreply 8205/17/2013

I once in awhile will sometimes catch a little here or there of the reruns. Who is the Mother? Don't know who r79 is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 8305/17/2013

I thought the mother is to be played by Cristin Milioti of Once fame.

by Anonymousreply 8405/17/2013

R84, yes. That's right. She appeared on the season finale.

by Anonymousreply 8505/17/2013

If I watched the first 5 or 6 seasons, would I ever have seen the mother? Or did she just pop up recently?

by Anonymousreply 8605/18/2013

Last season.

by Anonymousreply 8709/11/2013

My son became obsessed with this show last year and was always watching on Netflix. He was 13 at the time. It was lascivious and offensive, exactly what 13 year old boys love. He outgrew it after a few months. .

by Anonymousreply 8809/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!