Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Annoying "trendy" mannerisms and phrases

Over the past few years, more and more of my friends are saying these, all of which drive me crazy:

"Really? Really?" to imply disbelief at something, or annoyance (like someone taking a long time at a register).

"I can't. I just... I can't." I guess this is the new "I don't know what to say"?

"Are you kidding me right now?" Stupid.

by Anonymousreply 54307/01/2013

I'm embarrassed to admit to watching it, but all of these phrases are used non-stop on Jersey Shore.

by Anonymousreply 210/29/2011

OP, we've had a lot of good ones mentioned on past DL threads, I hope people will post some of their 'favorites' in here. I agree with you, this type of language is incredibly annoying. I also hate trite phrases.

by Anonymousreply 310/29/2011

by Anonymousreply 410/29/2011

Oh, a few that I forgot (some I see more on Facebook status updates as opposed to said in conversation):

"Just sayin'...". Example: "75 and sunny here in Los Angeles! Just sayin'."

"It is what it is."

"There, I said it."

All of this is on top of the already annoying "like"s that pepper a sentence four or five times or the morons who have to finish every sentence with "you know what I meeeeean?"

by Anonymousreply 710/29/2011

"Sorry, but I'm in a bad place right now."

"I can't deal right now."

"You need to chill."

by Anonymousreply 810/29/2011

This entire subject is uber cray cray!

by Anonymousreply 910/29/2011

"at the end of the day..."

by Anonymousreply 1010/29/2011

I just scrolled through my Facebook feed and found even more:

"Who has two thumbs and (insert something stupid here)? This guy!!" Is this from a TV show or movie? I've seen it used so often for the past few years, but don't remember anyone ever saying it ten years ago.

And "doing a happy dance"?? Again, where did that stupidity come from? I see people mention it in the most idiotic ways. A few weeks ago, one of my co-workers had this on his Facebook feed: "Scored an eggnog latte! Excuse me while I do a happy dance".

by Anonymousreply 1110/29/2011

"We'll just have to agree to disagree."(said by wimps)

"I just wanted to touch base with you."(one of the worst).

"You need to get in touch with yourself."

by Anonymousreply 1210/29/2011

I HATE the "happy dance" thing. Also, "literally". That trend started with the Kardashians so whenever anyone says it, I give them as much credit for brains as I give a Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2011

I agree but you almost feel forced in the Corporate world to use "current" terminology. Like the fucking word ecosystem!! I hate it but guess what I started using it. In sales everyone says, right? after the sentence. It is especially popular on the tri-state area.

by Anonymousreply 1510/29/2011

There are probably a million feminist/lesbian related ones that you guys could think of.

by Anonymousreply 1610/29/2011

"Take it to the next level".

by Anonymousreply 1710/29/2011

'GTFO' (meaning 'Get the fuck out') and 'n1curr' ('no one cares about this comment') are the latest.

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2011

Calling your home or room your 'space'.

"He's not a team player."

by Anonymousreply 1910/29/2011

New agey, too.

by Anonymousreply 2010/29/2011

Queens, some of this shit is at least 20 years old.

"I can't deal" and "At the end of the day" were commonplace when I went to college.

by Anonymousreply 2110/29/2011

'Manlove' and 'Bromance'.

I can't. I just can't

Come out already!

by Anonymousreply 2210/29/2011

by Anonymousreply 2310/29/2011

Fact: Anyone who uses "Thinking outside of the box" is not a creative or original thinker.

A bit off topic, but the rampant misuse of the word 'penultimate' is also cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 2410/29/2011

by Anonymousreply 2510/29/2011

Cubefraus at work have discovered (belatedly, of course) the "Shut the front door!" euphemism for Shut The Fuck Up. And they say it at any chance as loudly as possible so everyone thinks they are just so clever.

by Anonymousreply 2610/29/2011

Damn office fraus with their silent but deadly farts need to shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 2710/29/2011

Be happy it's not the late 70's when the word "hostility" was used for everything negative.

by Anonymousreply 2810/29/2011

"Damn office fraus with their silent but deadly farts need to shut the fuck up"

It's mostly the queens who do the fartin'.

by Anonymousreply 2910/29/2011

*blushing* etc

Fuck right off you idiots.

Also, r24 apart from penultimate misuse I loathe "it's very unique" no, it is not. And current peeve - "nonplussed" - learn what it means.

by Anonymousreply 3010/29/2011

"I'm Brooklyn-based" when they mean "I live in Brooklyn."

by Anonymousreply 3110/29/2011

[quote]And "doing a happy dance"?? Again, where did that stupidity come from?

by Anonymousreply 3210/29/2011

Remember in the 80s when 'Go for it!' began?

& 'Whatever!'

I remember coming to live in England in about '88 and overhearing someone use 'whatever' with a London accent and thinking, it's made it's way over here now, obviously. Now it's very much part of the local patois.

by Anonymousreply 3310/29/2011

Adults (or anyone over the age of 3) who use the word "sleeps" instead of "days" to count off time until an anticipated event.

by Anonymousreply 3410/29/2011

r30, you mentioned one that gets on my last nerves and I had forgotten!! "Nomnomnom"!! Often mentioned by fraus who "just bought the BEST red velvet cupcakes!!"

by Anonymousreply 3510/29/2011

One I forgot which is American and is here in England now, the use of the word 'vintage' for stuff from the 1970s or even 80s. Really bugs me.

by Anonymousreply 3610/29/2011

Got to be the constant use of "like" as a filler word meaning absolutely nothing. Its occasional use is ok and may be difficult to avoid, but listening to people, mostly young people, use it nonstop is unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 3710/29/2011

Back in the late 90's, my friend and I were pretty annoyed that there was a sitcom called 'It's Like, You Know..."

People learn this crap from movies and TV. I think that shows like 'Friends' have a lot to do with this, although I reluctantly admit that Friends was better written than the average show.

by Anonymousreply 3810/29/2011

OP they're fucking nomnomnom ing while drinking full-fat salted caramel or pumpkin lattes from starfucks *deelish*

by Anonymousreply 3910/29/2011

This one should be a felony. That's how much I hate it. It's unimaginably stupid, and not even remotely amusing.

by Anonymousreply 4010/29/2011

I don't think I've ever noticed somebody using penultimate incorrectly, which freaked me out because I thought it meant that I could've been using it wrong. So I looked it up and it means what I thought it does, so how are people using it in a wrong way? I can't picture how someone would use that word if they didn't know what it actually meant.

by Anonymousreply 4110/29/2011

R41, I have no problem whatsoever with people not knowing what penultimate means. It's an uncommon and weird sounding word. The problem is that stupid people assume it means something that it doesn't. They think it is some super, extreme version of the word 'ultimate'. It wasn't just the ultimate emotional climax, but even bigger, the penultimate one!

by Anonymousreply 4210/29/2011

R37, it's been around since the 70's, maybe even the 60's. Mad magazine made fun of it back then. It's one of those things that makes speech ugly but I think we're stuck with it, at least among young people.

by Anonymousreply 4310/29/2011

I have noticed the last year or so that when someone tells me about some misfortune or frustration, the once-common "I'm so sorry" or "I'm sorry" response is met with a quick, "Well it's not your fault!" No shit Sherlock. I'm aware it's not my fault that your car battery died, I was expressing that I was sorry that it happened to you. It apparently gets interpreted as an apology now. I've even found myself trying to say, "I'm sorry that happened to you." and people STILL will say, "It's not your fault."

by Anonymousreply 4410/29/2011

People who are into liner notes and album art should all be shot to death with arrows.

by Anonymousreply 4610/29/2011

Whatevs, you all sound like, totes old. Real elderly.

by Anonymousreply 4710/29/2011

R44, that's about the dumbest one yet. Unbelievably stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4810/29/2011

"Out of pocket" meaning: out of the office or away from the workplace.

"Reach out" as a synonym for making contact: "I reached out to him for advice on that project."

Another vote for "It is what it is". Grrrr.

And I had a run-in with a couple of omnomnom idiots in the SAFEWAY of all places - 2 very high or drunk young women creating a scene in the ice cream aisle. I wanted to shove them into the freezer with the Ben & Jerry's and slam the door on their stupid asses.

by Anonymousreply 4910/29/2011

I can't stand the pretentious "double air kissing" that is now supposedly mandatory in upscale circles. (Kissing someone on each cheek.) (And no, I'm not referring to butt cheeks here, hee hee)

To me that's always been more of a genuine European greeting, and I find it so pretentious among Americans. Particularly when trailer trash like Ryan on A List: NY does it. It just seems like someone is trying so hard to appear "aristocratic" and instead it looks so artificial and affected to me.

I don't recall Americans greeting each other this way when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s (in a fairly wealthy east coast WASPY environment.)

And while we're at it, the whole dressing up your little lapdog and carrying them with you wherever you go (Like Giggy on "Real Housewives Bev Hills" or Elle's dog in Legally Blonde.) is another tacky trend that I think Paris Hilton started about 15 yrs ago.

Now all these posers are running around town with these little dogs in their purses/on their arms thinking they look oh-so-sophisticated and to me it just screams POSER. I think it's tacky to take those little yip-yip dogs into stores, much less bring them to a social event.

It's one of many trends that I wish I could undo.

I know, I know, I sound like a jerk but those two trends/mannerisms drive me bonkers for whatever reason...

by Anonymousreply 5010/29/2011

"Taking it to the next level!"

by Anonymousreply 5110/29/2011

I fucking hate "Grrrr"

by Anonymousreply 5210/29/2011

This isn't a manner of speech, but more of a "look". Women with huge purses hanging off their forearm, Blackberry or IPhone in hand. Who is texting/calling them so often that the phone has to be in their hand at all times? This look usually also involves Uggs, sunglasses, and slightly unkempt hair, and a Starbucks latte that is sipped through a straw.

by Anonymousreply 5310/29/2011

Um, no.

Fucking hate that one.

by Anonymousreply 5410/29/2011

"This isn't a manner of speech, but more of a "look". Women with huge purses hanging off their forearm, Blackberry or IPhone in hand. Who is texting/calling them so often that the phone has to be in their hand at all times? This look usually also involves Uggs, sunglasses, and slightly unkempt hair, and a Starbucks latte that is sipped through a straw."

Princess, what bothers you, is WOMEN. Period.

by Anonymousreply 5610/29/2011

This thread is turning into 'What bugs you about today'.

I wonder when 'bug' appeared.

by Anonymousreply 5710/29/2011

"Don't get me wrong..."

Every critique these days must use this expression.

by Anonymousreply 5810/29/2011

by Anonymousreply 5910/29/2011

R50, besides the obnoxious air kissing, I cannot stand all the excessive HUGGING among everyone, and especially on tv talk shows.

Stop all the excessive hugging! It is not necessary and it is fake and completely unneeded.

And the simple handshake has now evolved into handshaking, draw person's body close to you, rub bodies and shoulders, push back, release.

Hate it all!

by Anonymousreply 6010/29/2011

r50 you would never want to meet a "Stew" I know who still flies about twice a year to keep her perks but now she has a rich hubby takes her lil rat dog on board in, get this, a flight attendant uniform. I am not joking.

by Anonymousreply 6110/29/2011

[quote] "Out of pocket" meaning: out of the office or away from the workplace.

When and how did this happen? "Out-of-pocket" is supposed to mean an actual cash disbursement; a direct expense. Suddenly everyone at work uses it in this new way. It makes no sense whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 6210/29/2011

Yes, R60! Everyone - EVERYONE - seems to have to hug upon greeting and leave-taking these days and I don't necessarily feel comfortable doing that with most people.

by Anonymousreply 6310/29/2011

Yes R60, I don't want to hug someone every time I say goodbye to them! It's only for special occasions when it's warranted, which are rare.

by Anonymousreply 6410/29/2011

I'll second r60.

Nonstop hugging all over the place.

Every eliminated contestant on a reality show gets a hug.

WEHT congratulations on a job well done and shaking someone's hand?

When did this shit start? You never saw it in the 60's.

by Anonymousreply 6510/29/2011

Whenever I see the phrase "The last time I checked .. (blah, blah, blah)…" what follows is always some half-baked attempt at snark.

I dislike this phrase mightily.

If said to me personally, I feel the instant urge to take a swing.

by Anonymousreply 6610/29/2011

After having explained something very horrible/upsetting to someone, and getting the moronic response of lip smacking and "It's all good."

No it isn't, dumbfuck.

Also: "Keeping it real."

by Anonymousreply 6710/29/2011

"I can't. I just... I can't." I guess this is the new "I don't know what to say"?

by Anonymousreply 6810/29/2011

*insert any annoying fucking thing you're doing and can't seem to express with the english language here* (*slips on caftan*)

What say you?

by Anonymousreply 6910/29/2011

"They have an inner beauty" or something similar, said about someone who is not only butt ugly, but is also a dumb and violent asshole.

by Anonymousreply 7010/29/2011

And while we're at it, I'm going to add that it drives me crazy to hear the excessive use of the endearment "Baby". Drives me up the wall. It feels like a more private term to use, but that's just me.

I know that using "Honey" as an endearment may seem old fashioned, while "Darling" is probably a little too Turner Classic Movie-ish.

I don't really know what would be a good endearment pronoun to use today, but for some reason when I hear someone say something like, "Baby, look at the stainless steel applicances and crown molding" on an episode of House Hunters it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

by Anonymousreply 7110/29/2011

[quote]Also, "literally". That trend started with the Kardashians so whenever anyone says it, I give them as much credit for brains as I give a Kardashian.

No, dumpling, it did not.

by Anonymousreply 7210/29/2011

by Anonymousreply 7310/29/2011

You're all a bunch of old ratbag aunties.

by Anonymousreply 7410/29/2011

They have an annoying nickname for sandwich in the UK that's as grating as "sammich," but I can't remember what it is.

by Anonymousreply 7510/29/2011

All of the excessive hugging among everyone just shows how dumb and stupid humans are.

They see hugging, so they pattern automatically pattern themselves after what they see, as if they do not have a brain in their head.

Like ducks. They do everything in mindless patterns and mindless formations.

The excessive hugging, of course, proves what mindless animals human beings are.

by Anonymousreply 7610/29/2011

"I'm dead ass" = I'm serious Using hashtags outside of Twitter

by Anonymousreply 7710/29/2011

"my bad" as an apology is childish and the interlocutor deserves to be slapped hard.

by Anonymousreply 7810/29/2011

R71 is nobody's baby.

by Anonymousreply 7910/29/2011

"Living your best life."

A lot of this shit comes straight from Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 8010/29/2011

When did celebrity magazines start this "baby bump" bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 8110/29/2011

The ones who use "actually" in every damn sentence.

by Anonymousreply 8310/29/2011

by Anonymousreply 8410/29/2011

Nobody does anything wrong anymore.

The just need to make "better choices" in life.

by Anonymousreply 8510/29/2011

"It resonated with me," "It spoke to me." You get a lot of this amongst writers, and it pisses me off. Mostly because it's lazy; you don't have to explain what you feel worked, just that something about it 'resonated' with you. And you're using the exact same phrase as every other 'creative' writer in the room.

And there are a whole bunch of therapy terms that get on my nerves; "touch base," "check in with yourself," and elaborate, overly literal metaphors about "unpacking baggage."

by Anonymousreply 8610/29/2011

"Not so much."

HATE "It is what it is."

by Anonymousreply 8710/29/2011

I'm doing me.

by Anonymousreply 8810/29/2011

[quote]"I can't. I just... I can't." I guess this is the new "I don't know what to say"?

This shit was created by untalented Hollywood writers and was mimicked by the dumb masses.

by Anonymousreply 8910/29/2011

R80, that drives me crazy. Oprah-speak is its own category, including things like "live a life of purpose" or "I had an aha moment!". Strangely, the ones most likely to use the psychobabble are people with cushy lives who suddenly realize they CAN run a half marathon despite not being athletic in the 7th grade. You'll never hear someone working three jobs to make ends meet talk about getting a third job as an "aha moment", it's just something they need to do to stay afloat.

by Anonymousreply 9010/29/2011

The "me first!" BS is another one I often hear, often times over inane things. For example, "I am having a healthy lunch today. Me first!".

by Anonymousreply 9110/29/2011

[quote]And while we're at it, I'm going to add that it drives me crazy to hear the excessive use of the endearment "Baby". Drives me up the wall. It feels like a more private term to use, but that's just me.

Agreed, it's for use in private.

by Anonymousreply 9210/29/2011

"Let's do lunch."

No, go fuck yourself, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 9310/29/2011

Careful R78, they might shoot you.

by Anonymousreply 9410/29/2011

All those fraus who have "lifestyle" blogs. "A delightful mixed arrangement which is both organic and fun given to me by a dear spiritual sister." (Your friend gave you a wad of wildflowers.) "The vintage Venetian decanters and tumblers make cocktail time, special time." (you went to the flea market and will probably get lead poisoning next time you get lushy)

by Anonymousreply 9510/29/2011

Yes, R85. Like 'undocumented workers', for instance.

by Anonymousreply 9610/29/2011

George Carlin would be proud of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 9710/29/2011

The way so many people say 'love you' at the end of every cellphone converation.

They don't say 'I love you' which has more of a ring of commitment and sincerity to it - they throw a casual 'love you' at the end of every conversation.

And they aren't saying it just to family members - they are saying 'love you' to people in their lives who barely qualify as friends in that they do not have a long standing friendship at all.

by Anonymousreply 9810/29/2011

"Wow...just wow"

"No worries!"

by Anonymousreply 9910/29/2011

If Hollywood tried to rectify this, they'd have to fire 95% of their writers.

by Anonymousreply 10010/29/2011

"you make my butt itch". Not a " trendy" phrase, what I think of your thread OP

by Anonymousreply 10110/29/2011

Cannot stand the term 'foodie'!

It is a repugnant term.

by Anonymousreply 10210/29/2011

Re the use of "Baby" as an endearment, I also don't like it when parents call their kids that. ("It's OK, baby, we'll get you another ice cream cone since you dropped that one.")

Have no idea why it bugs me for kids to be called that, but it does. Or maybe it's a TV thing, but it seems like so many TV and movie moms call their kid "Baby".("You look so pretty in your princess outfit, Baby.")

It just rings false/hipster-ish to me on some level and I can't figure out why.

by Anonymousreply 10310/29/2011

"Me time."

"___Nailed it!"

"It's all good."

"Epic Fail!"

by Anonymousreply 10410/29/2011

r103 I fucking hate "baby" applied to anyone, even infants of less than a year. But also "Boo" the only person who makes me accept/chuckle is Michael K on DListed insisting on calling Anderson Cooper MahBoo.

by Anonymousreply 10610/29/2011

[quote]"Wow...just wow"

I think I'm going to fart in the face of the next person who says that. That's how enraged it makes me.

by Anonymousreply 10710/29/2011

Some of these are old I can't believe some of you guys still hear them. Seriously! You should all be like "whatevs" next time you hear one of these annoying sayings.

I hate "reaching out". It sounds so moronic to me.

by Anonymousreply 10810/29/2011

Good times . . good times.

by Anonymousreply 10910/29/2011

Great list, R104. R103, a lot of this crap is hipster related, since they are huge followers.

by Anonymousreply 11010/29/2011

About pregnant women: "She's ready to pop."

Ugh. Gives me a mental picture that an alien is about to burst from her stomach, or her uterus is going to rupture and the baby is going to burst forth from the dying mother's stomach cavity, possibly tap dancing like that Warner Brothers frog cartoon.

I can't imagine a lot of women like to be talked about as if they were balloons.

by Anonymousreply 11110/29/2011

by Anonymousreply 11210/29/2011

I do not understand why millions of people say 'awesome' in reply or in describing every little thing.

It is ridiculously over-used.

'I will get you a glass of water.' Awesome!!!!

'Here is your napkin.' Awesome!!!!

by Anonymousreply 11310/29/2011

I'm afraid to speak now.

by Anonymousreply 11410/29/2011

This language is making people stupid.

by Anonymousreply 11510/29/2011

The memes popular with "comedians" on Twitter are grating. For example, an "ironic" statement like "Mustaches are awesome!" followed by "said no one. EVER."

by Anonymousreply 11610/29/2011

Call these people out on it. Many of them are somewhat embarrassed talking like this and know that it's an affectation they are trying out because they heard it elsewhere. Shame them into not using it, they'll feel like idiots and shape up pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 11710/29/2011

Referring to elderly people as "cute" or "adorable", etc. Reeks of disrespect and condescension. Oh, and add to that "So and so is 75 years YOUNG!" Gross.

by Anonymousreply 11810/29/2011

[quote]They have an annoying nickname for sandwich in the UK that's as grating as "sammich," but I can't remember what it is.

You might be thinking of "butty," r75. I have English friends who hate that, too.

Spelling "probably" as "prolly." Stop it.

by Anonymousreply 11910/29/2011

R116, about 90% of comedians are simply unfunny assholes. The other 8% are somewhat funny, while 2% are funny.

by Anonymousreply 12110/29/2011

Don't worry R114. I think it's mostly eldergays complaining.

by Anonymousreply 12210/29/2011

R120, that reminds me: dead pets going to the 'rainbow bridge', which is also called 'the bridge'. "It's okay guys, Peanut is at the bridge now, with Toonces."

Yes, many people talk like that.

by Anonymousreply 12310/29/2011

I'm assuming that all of you are Scorpios.

by Anonymousreply 12410/29/2011

R122 is ridiculously stupid, vapid, vacuous, and unintelligent, but has no idea that he is.

by Anonymousreply 12510/29/2011

When someone gets a prim look on their face and starts out with "In a perfect world..." I just want to pick up the nearest chair and bash them to death with it.

by Anonymousreply 12610/29/2011

I like sending love and light better than "Prayers going up" or "you're on my prayer list."

by Anonymousreply 12710/29/2011

"I'm sending good vibes to them."

by Anonymousreply 12810/29/2011

The last "rainbow bridge" I read about was somewhere in the Apocrypha. It was the bridge that Jesus tricked the kids who were bullying him into climbing up on right before he yanked it out from under them and killed them all. Mary and Joseph had to leave town over that one.

"Rainbow Bridge" - no likes !

by Anonymousreply 12910/29/2011

"ginormous" as in gigantic + enormous

Keep using it if you enjoy sounding like a three-year-old.

"blessed" I'm blessed. Have a blessed day.

by Anonymousreply 13010/29/2011

[quote]"blessed" I'm blessed. Have a blessed day.

A lot of dumb people use this one. I have no idea where it comes from.

by Anonymousreply 13110/29/2011

"Gift" as a verb.

"Icon" and "iconic" applied to everything. It's become meaningless.

On DL--"frau"--tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 13210/29/2011

More lazy-talk--every fucking thing under the sun is described as being "amazing."

by Anonymousreply 13310/29/2011

"Love(s) me some ______." Tired and not cute. Very Fametracker Cunt.

"Right right right right right..." said by someone who thinks he knows exactly what you're about to say and is ready to dismiss it so that HE can talk. I'm hearing this one more and more.

"Obvi" for obvious. So fucking ridiculous that I almost like it.

by Anonymousreply 13410/29/2011

My first experience with "I just can't." was outside the club AREA in the early 80s. They were picking and choosing at the door and one of my friends was offered an entry. Naturally, he wanted all of us to get in so he asked the Selector. He looked at the rest of us and said, "No. I'm sorry. I just can't."

by Anonymousreply 13510/29/2011

Hyphenating phrases and words such as "par-for-the-course" and "none-the-less".

by Anonymousreply 13610/29/2011

R134, I have found that over the past 5 years, people are much more likely to just talk over each other or just have zero patience for someone who speaks for longer than ten or fifteen seconds. It's obnoxious. I was recently talking to someone who, as I spoke, was going through her Blackberry and going "Uh huh huh, uh huh huh... yeah, yeah...". This was after she talked a mile a minute about all her projects and gave unsolicited advice about how I should "brand" myself.

by Anonymousreply 13710/29/2011

Maybe this doesn't exactly fall into trendy behavior, but I'm sick of the paparazzi trying to make celeb kids people of interest. That's one trend that caught on in the 90's that I don't think will ever go away and I wish it would.

Sure, I enjoy perusing pop culture sites, but I'm so tired of being force-fed daily pics of Suri Cruise, Violet Affleck, Gwen Stefani's kids, and other celeb children. They're KIDS. Respect their privacy and stop assuming that we need to watch them grow up on a daily basis.

I'm already bracing for Beyonce's baby to be born and be deluged with endless photo updates.

I remember reading an interview that Goldie Hawn gave where she talked about how floored she was by the paparazzi's coverage of celeb kids today(particularly their stalking of Kate Hudson when she was just running errands with her kid.) Goldie said that the paparazzi never followed her around in the 80's when she was running errands with her kids and that she was glad they got to grow up more privately.

Now it seems like every celeb kid is treated like a Prince William or JFK, jr. and we'll be forced to see pics of them from cradle to grave. No thank you.

I realize that this is an Entertainment Tonight/US Weekly/Just Jared world we're living in now, so I don't think this 'trend' is ever going to go away.

by Anonymousreply 13810/29/2011

R135, at least in that context it makes sense ("Sorry, I just can't let you in"). It bothers me when it's used to express exasperation. For example, someone will wear an awful outfit and the response is "I just can't".

by Anonymousreply 13910/29/2011

[quote]Also, "literally". That trend started with the Kardashians

"Literally" has been misused for at least 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 14010/29/2011

[quote]Maybe this doesn't exactly fall into trendy behavior, but I'm sick of the paparazzi trying to make celeb kids people of interest.

The celebrity parents of these kids shouldn't even be considered interesting enough to cover. The talent in Hollywood is at an all time low.

by Anonymousreply 14110/29/2011

"drive me crazy ", "up the wall", "job well done", etc, all annoyed your elders at one point or another. Deal.

by Anonymousreply 14210/29/2011

I'm sick of trendy kid names. There's gonna be a ton of "Ava's", "Jake's", "Ella's" and lots of unisex names (Beckett, Sawyer, Skyler, etc) hitting kindergartens near you soon.

And now every entitled frau with a new baby expects a "push present" (i.e. huge honkin' piece of jewelry) in order to keep up with the Joneses down the street. I hate that term, "Push present".)

And personal baby update blogs along the lines of "My Day with Jaden" are trendy and pretentious too.

by Anonymousreply 14310/29/2011

You are right about using the word 'amazing' in that everything under the sun is called 'amazing' no matter how insignificant the thing is.

'Amazing' is used so often that it illustrates a severe lack of vocabulary.

by Anonymousreply 14510/29/2011

This thread hit a DL nerve...

by Anonymousreply 14610/29/2011

R125 = ridiculously stupid, vapid, vacuous, and unintelligent eldergay who needs to accuse others of having those traits in hopes they don't notice them in him first.

by Anonymousreply 14710/29/2011

Whe I hear someone say they are doing a happy dance, all I can think of is an overweight frau finding a sale on ice cream and busting a move right in the middle of Kroger with her three fat kids.

by Anonymousreply 14810/29/2011

lol R148

by Anonymousreply 14910/29/2011

R145, agreed. If I had to take a shot every time Katie Holmes uses that word in an interview, I'd be falling down drunk in under 5 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 15010/29/2011

As someone who speaks some French, every time I see "nomnomnom" (which I loathe) I think "namenamename"!

by Anonymousreply 15110/29/2011

by Anonymousreply 15210/29/2011

[quote]I can't stand the pretentious "double air kissing" that is now supposedly mandatory in upscale circles

Try decades.

by Anonymousreply 15310/29/2011

"Literally" didn't start with the Kardashians. That has been overused for years. Even Madtv had a skit about the overuse of the word and that was years ago w/ Nicole Sullivan.

by Anonymousreply 15410/29/2011

R137 -- ugh. Every up and coming would-be artist or celebrity or whatever is always going on and on about their "brand."

by Anonymousreply 15510/29/2011

[75] and [119] I think it's 'sarnie'

by Anonymousreply 15610/29/2011

by Anonymousreply 15710/29/2011

jelly (jealous); Bestie; BFF's

by Anonymousreply 15810/29/2011

I know "punch and delete" is a very popular phrase here, but I've never heard anyone speak the phrase. I've only seen it in written form.

If I heard someone say it, I'd probably roll my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 15910/29/2011

There's a blog I follow that's pretty funny but the writer tries to be oh-so-hip and jaded.

S/he loves to use the term "F***ery", as in "And what kind of f***ery was (TV character) up to in that scene?"

And s/he also likes to use the phrase, "I guess (TV character) needs to put her big girl pants on and get over herself."

I hate that expression, "put on your big girl/boy pants." It just seems so pretentious and dumb.

by Anonymousreply 16010/29/2011

'I'm a stay at home Mom' why don't they just say I don't work?

'Take time out'.

These are British, I think...'gobsmacked' & 'gutted'. 'I was gutted'...(very upset).

'You do the math'...this is starting to appear in England now, except they say MathS and it sounds even more ridiculous and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 16110/29/2011

"It is what it is", saying "decompress" when you just mean to relax, and the term "green" to mean recycling or being concerned about the environment.

by Anonymousreply 16210/29/2011

"... everything under the sun is called 'amazing' no matter how insignificant the thing is. 'Amazing' is used so often that it illustrates a severe lack of vocabulary."

by Anonymousreply 16410/29/2011

No, these vocalizations are, r144. We get it already.

by Anonymousreply 16510/29/2011

I HATE: motherfucker. People seem to say it with such self-approval.

Also, any slang, trendy words for the various recreational drugs. Just call them what they are.

by Anonymousreply 16610/29/2011

by Anonymousreply 16710/29/2011

You in danger, gurl. Stupid phrase.

by Anonymousreply 16810/29/2011

Anything mentioning Williamsburg is enough for me to get up and leave the room.

by Anonymousreply 16910/30/2011

I hate it when people use the term "organic" to describe anything other than food. Actors are especially prone to using it. Eg; "My connection to my character was just so organic" Half the time the context in which it's used doesn't even make sense. I also can't tolerate the term "moving forward". I think it's been used in every business meeting I've been in for the last 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 17010/30/2011

"Typos" in online forums that are intentional; ie, "teh" for "the", "amke" for "make", and "liek" for "like".

by Anonymousreply 17110/30/2011

"FABULOUS". omg . that is THE word used most often by pretentious, superficial, iq-challenged twats.

by Anonymousreply 17210/30/2011

I'll probably get bashed for this one, but I cannot stand when, in an argument, women (usually of color) will raise their talon-shellacked hands and smack them together in someones face order to reinforce their point and intimidate the recipient of their wrath.

by Anonymousreply 17310/30/2011

People who refer to others as "posers" as if the activity of the "poser" wouldn't be just as stupid and ridiculous no matter who did it.

"you know what I'm sayin'"

Almost any use of pretentious agenda words such as "hackneyed," "trite" or "treacle."

Use of the word "skinny" to mean a normal sized human.

"baby daddy" Is there anyone with an IQ over 80 who uses this?

Misuse of the terms "fascist," "socialist," "communist," etc.

Meaningless political insults such as "libtard" or "freeper" as a subsitute for rebutting an argument.

Normal words that nevertheless identify an idiot by their overuse: "community," "indigenous," "chipotle," "artisan," "zionism," "suburban," "diversity," "vibrant"

Use of the word "camp" to mean something other than a facility, retreat, or temporary place to stay such as scout camp, soccer camp, etc.

Use of the word "creepy" to refer to anything outside the boundaries of one's very narrow sexual taste.

And the worst of all? "Batshit crazy." Almost anyone using this term can be pegged by their unsupportable political and ideological resentments. Their opinions are guaranteed to be less than 2% substantive.

by Anonymousreply 17410/30/2011

The over use of the words,

Icon, Iconic.

Sex Symbol.

They have made these descriptions meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 17510/30/2011

Only complete morons have used batshit crazy. Shame on all of those trendy idiots.

by Anonymousreply 17610/30/2011

I love the term 'batshit crazy'.

by Anonymousreply 17710/30/2011

R174, I disagree with your argument that assumes that any activity that a so-called 'poser' does is intrinsically 'stupid and ridiculous'. (And that therefore referring to someone as a poser is redundant or illogical.)

I'm thinking specifically of an acquaintance of mine who LOVES to drop in $5 words and impressive sounding academic phrases/references into every other sentence when she talks or writes. It's artificial and studied when she does it and I would label her a 'poser'.

(She is very well liked but has a known reputation for being a bit of a 'wannabe intellectual'. She's very touchy about not having a college degree and I think she tries to overcompensate by trying to appear "intellectual" and well-read.)

Yet I have other friends who are extremely articulate who use similar words and phrases that my friend tries to use, but it's not some kind of put-on act when they do it. When I hear them constantly using references to obscure historical events or pieces of literature, the activity doesn't seem 'stupid or ridiculous'. (Side note, they are professors of art history and literature so it would make sense that it's part of their every day conversation.)

But that's what's fascinating to me about this thread overall, i.e. the annoyance expressed by various posters over 'this phrase' or 'that mannerism'. Lord knows, I've got a laundry list of my own to post.

At the end of the day, to each his own.

by Anonymousreply 17810/30/2011

OK r178, you have a point with that example. I was definitely thinking of a different use of poser. Usually when I hear the term, it's coming from people who are resentful of others wearing similar clothes or hanging out in a particular place, listening to the same music, etc. Essentially they don't want any encroachment on their clique or scene, and want to arbitrarily draw lines of worthiness.

by Anonymousreply 17910/30/2011

The overuse of 'Okay'. It stands in for yes, sure, I agree, or even uh huh. Okay has its place, but to use it multiple times in a sentence indicates limited vocabulary.

by Anonymousreply 18010/30/2011

"Robust" used as a business term.

"We're moving forward with a more robust third party application."

by Anonymousreply 18110/30/2011

This thread put me in mind of 'The King's English' ('A Guide To Modern Usage') by Kingsley Amis. Its examples range naturally from the scholarly to the populist. The book is learned and informative, robust and funny. There is a large entry on 'Americanisms.' It's just been republished in the UK.

The section that came to mind is 'Berks and wankers', from which I quote:

'Berks are careless, coarse, crass, gross and of what anybody would agree is a lower social class than one's own. They speak in a slipshod way with dropped Hs, intruded glottal stops and many mistakes in grammar. Left to them the English language would die of impurity, like late Latin.'

'Wankers are prissy, fussy, priggish, prim and of what they would probably misrepresent as a higher social class than one's own. They speak in an over-precise way with much pedantic insistence on letters not generally sounded, especially Hs. Left to them the language would die of purity, like medieval Latin.'

'In cold fact, most speakers, like most writers left to themselves, try to pursue a course between the slipshod and the punctilious, however they might describe the extremes they try to avoid, and this is healthy for them and the language.'

by Anonymousreply 18210/30/2011

Anything that Bethenny Frankel says.

by Anonymousreply 18310/30/2011

I wonder how some of you are even able to function socially if you're so easily agitated by such trivia. If this sort of thing is the worst trauma you ever have to experience, consider yourselves lucky.

by Anonymousreply 18410/30/2011

Well gee, R184... I may have misread the thread title, I didn't notice the part that said "post the worst trauma you have ever experienced."

Just a sec, hon, I'll be right back.

Nope, nothing about trauma, just something pertaining to every fucking post in this thread till you came along, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 18510/30/2011

"cool beans" Damm you the writer of Juno.

by Anonymousreply 18610/30/2011

Oh, however shall I live after experiencing the wrath of R185!

Now, go take your blood pressure meds like a good boy, before you pop an artery.

by Anonymousreply 18710/30/2011

People who start talking or answer a question with *And so" or just *So* when they're not continuing anything. It's as if they're telling a non-existent story. I believe Oprah started this obnoxious trend.

by Anonymousreply 18810/30/2011

happy camper as in "He's not a happy camper today". This is such a white trash midwestern flyover phrase and it needs to be abolished.

I also hate the calling of hair on a guys torso area as happy trail or treasure trail.

by Anonymousreply 18910/30/2011

r75 - sarnie?

by Anonymousreply 19010/30/2011

Young women calling people they don't know "sweetie". I dont know when this caught on, but back in the day it was disrespectful to say unless you were a very old lady. I cringe every time I hear it, and Ive told the young women in my office it is inappropriate to say to any client. It makes you sound like a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 19110/30/2011

"Berks are careless, coarse, crass, gross and of what anybody would agree is a lower social class than one's own"

Berk is cockney rhyming slang.

Berk = Berkeley Hunt = Cunt (= beats the hell out of me!)

by Anonymousreply 19210/30/2011

I think these are marvelous... not!

by Anonymousreply 19310/30/2011

"Have a good one"

My european friends cannot believe how often Americans say "Oh my god!" as a response to anything. I find that I do it without realising it.

by Anonymousreply 19410/30/2011

"I have a call in to ..." (someone important).

How about, "I called and left a message with ..."

by Anonymousreply 19510/30/2011

veggies instead of the word vegetable. A woman at work constantly uses it. Last week she said, "I went to the farmer's market and bought a whole bunch of veggies with the dirt still on them. they're gonna be yummers"

by Anonymousreply 19610/30/2011

"Cool beans" has been around since the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 19710/30/2011

Yeah well I've only been around sine the early 90s so there.And its still stupid.

by Anonymousreply 19810/30/2011

r196 then she'll post a fucking twitpic of some veggie yummy goodness nomnomnom

by Anonymousreply 19910/30/2011

The pushing of the phrase "miracle of life" in reference to getting pregnant and having a baby. Especially annoying in frau/self-help/Oprah culture, where women are now referring to their child as "our little miracle", even though the conception, pregnancy and birth were completely without complication. It's as if they're not aware that this process happens thousands of times a day around the world.

Been seeing this in obituaries the last few years, and it's vomit-inducing: So-and-so "was flown up to heaven with the angels" and "is dancing with Jesus", in lieu of any reference to the fact that this person died.

by Anonymousreply 20010/30/2011

by Anonymousreply 20110/30/2011

I will smack anyone who uses that word.

There is no such word. Don't use it.

by Anonymousreply 20210/30/2011

This is an old one, but I HATE when people say "no offense but..." It is usually followed by some horrible, offensive, nasty comment. But you can't get upset, because they said "no offense"

by Anonymousreply 20310/30/2011

In regards to the poster upthread who mentioned the overuse of "Okay", it reminds me of Caroline Manzo. In order to place-hold while she's desperately trying to find another thought in her empty head, she'll say, "Okay? Alright? Okay?" with these empty, supposedly meaningful pauses in between.

by Anonymousreply 20410/30/2011

"When did this shit start? You never saw it in the 60's."

When the economy started tanking and Baby Boomers started aging rapidly. Everything is super smoochy-fakey now. Everyone is your BFF (in case you might need to use them later on).

by Anonymousreply 20510/30/2011

"TFCO" (thanks for coming out)

by Anonymousreply 20610/30/2011

"Salty" and it means jealous.

Also "Boss" and "Beast" are common. They mean being good at something.

But I don't have a problem with new vernacular.

I was young once.

by Anonymousreply 20710/30/2011

I'm too lazy to read over a hundred posts. But, awesome is so overused.

by Anonymousreply 20810/30/2011

"I just peed a little."

Please stop saying that in response to everything.

As for the "happy dance," I first recall seeing that in the 60s when Snoopy would do it.

by Anonymousreply 20910/30/2011

Peace. Sick.

by Anonymousreply 21010/30/2011

For reals?

by Anonymousreply 21110/30/2011

"Oh no she didn't!"

Using "Regards - " as the sign-off to a non-business e-mail. One of my friends has taken to doing this and I'm about ready to punch him.

"You think?" - whether a genuine question or a sarcastic rejoinder. JUST STOP IT.

And running the risk of incurring DL scorn: "No problem" as a response to "Thank you". I'm obviously fighting a losing battle with that one.

by Anonymousreply 21210/30/2011

by Anonymousreply 21310/30/2011

Hey douche at r161, being a stay at home mom IS work. Go learn something, you fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 21410/30/2011

"Artisan" it makes my skin crawl and once again, reminds me of hipsters in Williamsburg.

What irks me about hipsters, they profess to be so 'original', yet they are all in a type of uniform and they seem to have the same mindset: how cool and artistic they all are. How different they are from past generations, yet they've co-opted EVERYTHING from past generations. Yawn...

by Anonymousreply 21510/30/2011

Most of these are not new and trendy. Really? and Seriously? are and they are oh so annoying because when someone latches on to them they use them constantly.

I hate the current trend of calling anything you enjoy and are addicted to "porn"

Food porn

House porn

Shoe porn

Example: "check out this website I found that has recipes for decadent desserts. It pure "food porn."

by Anonymousreply 21610/30/2011

Eppy for episode

Sammie for sandwich

Convo for conversation

Nuff said

And pretty much everything else mentioned in this thread. However, I don't mind swearing at all.

by Anonymousreply 21710/30/2011

r215, hipsters (or almost any silly clique) are nothing more than people reacting in resentment against something. They're not being themselves, they're living their lives as a reaction against people they think don't respect them.

by Anonymousreply 21810/30/2011

by Anonymousreply 21910/30/2011

When anyone says "awkward" in that drawn-out, sing-songy voice, I want to cause them unimaginable harm.

by Anonymousreply 22010/30/2011

R182, I'm distressed to see by your quotations that Kingsley Amis didn't use the Oxford comma. What is the world coming to?

by Anonymousreply 22110/30/2011

"R215, hipsters (or almost any silly clique) are nothing more than people reacting in resentment against something. They're not being themselves, they're living their lives as a reaction against people they think don't respect them."

I really don't think the hipsters existence is as deep as you perceive them to be. I don;'t think they resent anything, perhaps they resent not finding jobs?

Most of the early influx of these kids into Williamsburg were trust fund art students from flyover land and from Europe, most are still bankrolled by their wealthy parents.

When interviewed they all say they're "artists", c'mon exactly how many people in NYC are gainfully employed in the art field, especially as fine artists and especially in this crap economy. So they continue to pose, they don't work and are supported by their parents until they get bored then move back home.

Hipsters are simply trying to look and be different than everyone else they see as boring and cookie cutter, though it simply can not be done because....everything they've latched on to has gone down before.

I don't see ANY original ideas coming out of the hipster scene. They are simply selling their generation everything which has gone down before. There are just so many ways to re-invent long hair, 1960s British Edwardian clothes and Bangs on women!

Look at how many past eras these hipsters copy from in their clothing, in their music, in their home/apartment decorating etc.

Show me one hipster who doesn't have a piece of Danish Modern furniture or an Eames era vase?!! Or they tell you they listen to Nick Drake, who died waaaay before any of them were born.

by Anonymousreply 22210/30/2011

whenever someone uses "about".

It's not about..... It's about....

It's in every tv show and movie whenever an emphasis is required. Even the President uses that stupid phrase.

Of course in Canada, it's aboot.

by Anonymousreply 22310/30/2011

And how about them emo kids, huh? With their Fall Out Boy and their black hair and their faggy hair cuts!

by Anonymousreply 22410/30/2011

Butt naked. I cringe every time I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 22510/30/2011

[quote]Of course in Canada, it's aboot.

It's really "aboat."

by Anonymousreply 22610/30/2011

Thank you R226. Your phonics is better than mine.

by Anonymousreply 22710/30/2011

[quote]As for the "happy dance," I first recall seeing that in the 60s when Snoopy would do it.

BINGO! We have a winner!

Snoopy IS the origin of the "happy dance", however, I think it only translated to pop culture via TWOP message boards (source of most of the evil mentioned in this thread)

by Anonymousreply 22810/30/2011

"grow the economy"

That phrase is hideous. Bill Clinton invented it.

by Anonymousreply 22910/30/2011

People who write "Methinks..." make me violent. Also, r174 is a freeper and r214 is a lazy housewife.

by Anonymousreply 23010/30/2011

R74, in spades.

Outside of overused corporaspeak such as "going forward" for in future, "roadmap" for plan, and "source" for find or get, most of these phrases are fine if used sparingly.

Awesome is currently overused, yes, but so was groovy in the sixties and no one says that now. It will become lame again and fade away, just like kitsch did.

Yup, you'd probably forgotten that one but it was everywhere about 15 years ago. And now it's as dead as a doornail. Now people say campy or tacky instead.

Language is dynamic. Humans are social animals that like to imitate one another like a cadre of parrots. There isn't very much you can do about that, short of mass-reprogramming.

All things must pass. Saying "fail" will become lame as well. Some things stick, like "like" and you're just going to have to learn to live with them, and some don't. Remember "to be honest"'s reign of terror from 2006-2009? But now it's sunk back into the background with everything else. Before that it was "I have to say" from about 1999-2004.

Now it's "At this point". I'm sure cranky Victorians used to wander about bitching about the overuse of "Good day to you" ..nothing changes.

Oy vey! Language is a toy chest, let's fucking play with it, I say.

by Anonymousreply 23110/30/2011

One annoying one I see a lot on Facebook and Twitter is "No big deal". For example: "Oh, nothing, just saw Anderson Cooper walk past me on 6th Ave. No big deal." or "Oh, this? Just the 36 gourmet cupcakes I got as a gift. No big deal."

by Anonymousreply 23210/30/2011

"My ovaries exploded."

by Anonymousreply 23310/30/2011

[quote]Also, [R174] is a freeper

You mean it pissed you off when r174 wrote "Meaningless political insults such as "libtard" or "freeper" as a subsitute for rebutting an argument."?

If so, you're essentially admitting to being an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 23410/30/2011

More of the Oprah-inspired babble like "tune in with your true self" or "nothing is impossible when you realize you can do anything."

by Anonymousreply 23510/30/2011

R218, that's a very interesting view on hipsters, and I think you are right about them. I also think they are empty vessels that hate themselves deep down, but project it outward onto 'conformists' or whoever they say they are allegedly rebelling against(and they themselves are extremely conformist), and they protect their fragile, trend following egos with no true sense of self by becoming smug and narcissistic.

The reason the pathetic, pre made, media driven hipster persona was allowed into their lives is because there never was a fully formed identity or character beforehand. I can sympathize with damaged people, but hipsters are simply weak, stupid, and shallow people.

by Anonymousreply 23610/30/2011

"Sunday funday"

"Get thee to..."

by Anonymousreply 23710/30/2011

I now hear people say they "love, love, love" something almost on a daily basis. I think Teresa from Real Housewives of New Jersey started that nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 23810/30/2011

"Good job!", especially used parent/kid situation for things such as catching a ball. People should know that everything in life is not a *job*. Some things are meant for fun.

by Anonymousreply 23910/30/2011

[quote]Humans are social animals that like to imitate one another like a cadre of parrots.

So true. Speech mimicry is also common among young children who recently learned to speak & are practicing by repeating everything they hear. When I encounter adults doing it, I always feel superior -- I grew up & they didn't, poor little infantile cases of arrested development.

by Anonymousreply 24010/30/2011

R240, I am sure that you do it too, and other people think the exact same thing.

by Anonymousreply 24110/30/2011

Actually, I like that one!

by Anonymousreply 24210/30/2011

by Anonymousreply 24310/30/2011

Agreed, R243. As if 95% of the USA is horrible and uninhabitable. Even more than being snobby, this one screams 'massive insecurity'.

by Anonymousreply 24410/30/2011

R122 is 73 years young! Congratsies!

by Anonymousreply 24510/30/2011

I had a prof years ago who said, "I hate when someone tells me to 'have a good one'; I always think they're telling me to have a good shit!" Now, all these years later, I STILL think the same thing when someone says it.

Worse than using "Regards" to sign off are the ones who use "Best". Ugh. I assume it comes from shortening "Best regards"... I get these emails all the time, ending with "Best, Michael".

I can't. I just can't.

by Anonymousreply 24610/30/2011

I'm with R215 on "artisan," in particular "artisan bread." Honey, it's bread. You'll eat it and then you'll shit it out.

by Anonymousreply 24710/30/2011

You don't understand the difference between high quality bread made with very high quality ingredients and cheap bread made with very low quality ingredients?

by Anonymousreply 24810/30/2011

Yes there is a different between high quality and low quality bread. But high quality bread has been around a lot longer than the "artisanal" bread makers would love us to believe.

It's like the breeders who think no one has ever thought of how to raise a child before they began popping them out.

by Anonymousreply 24910/30/2011

One that is fast gaining ground with the "gals" in my office is "Jumpy claps!" - as if combined jumping and clapping demanded its own terminology. "I got a raise! Jumpy claps!"

I have to bite my tongue because I could get fired if I replied: "You've got THE CLAP?!" or: "No, hon, it's GONORRHEA that makes you jump!"

by Anonymousreply 25010/30/2011

Up-thread someone posted about the "hand clap in the face" while yelling, well thanks to the A-List Dallas, and that annoying commercial, the "talon clap" will move from NeNe and Shanequa, in the hood, to the gays.

I don't know if this has been posted, but when did calling your friends "bitches" become ok ?

Exp: Hey bitches, looks like this thread well hit 15 pages soon.

by Anonymousreply 25110/30/2011

And any written statement including "4" and "2" instead of "for" and "to."

by Anonymousreply 25210/30/2011

How about people who like to add "nista" to everything. For example: "I am an eyeglass-nista, and I have about 50 pairs!" or "As a shoe-nista, I have to say I don't get the new trend", etc. A desperate attempt to brand oneself as an expert on something they aren't.

by Anonymousreply 25310/30/2011

"Hell to the no".

by Anonymousreply 25410/30/2011

It bugs me when I hear women call themselves "single moms", when they actually have an ex husband/boyfriend in the picture who helps in the raising of their children. They say it as if they have no help. You aren't a single mom if your kids spend time with their father or you have a partner who is helping you raise your children. You're a co-parent. And that's a lot easier than doing it all by yourself with no help. I feel it's a real slap in the face to single mothers who are raising their children all by themselves

My mother was a true single mom. My dad wasn't in the picture and didn't help out financially. She did all the parenting herself

by Anonymousreply 25510/30/2011

It's poseur not poser.

by Anonymousreply 25610/30/2011

R256, fuck the letter "u."

by Anonymousreply 25710/30/2011

So what if you think "have a good one" means have a good shit?

It's all good.

by Anonymousreply 25810/30/2011

I happen to enjoy a good shit.

by Anonymousreply 25910/30/2011

[76] I like hugging.

by Anonymousreply 26010/30/2011

"I j'adore it!"

Did I just say that out loud?

by Anonymousreply 26110/31/2011

I loves me some _____ !

by Anonymousreply 26210/31/2011

Annoying are the people who voice liking an object as "Sick." As an example: "That new Porche 911 of yours is sick!"

by Anonymousreply 26310/31/2011

"You're bag is so maj!"

by Anonymousreply 26410/31/2011

O_M_G... UGH!

THAS WASSUP... UGH -- Normally found in the hip hop sect after you tell them something about yourself.

OWNED.. Someone humiliated.

PIMP DOWN... Someone humiliated.

LOVES IT... SO OVER IT... BIBLE... When you want someone to know your super serious.

BADASS... Wow this movie is BADASS...

FIERCE... Damn you Tyra.

WORK... child of Fierce.

UKNOWWHATIMSAYIN... Yes I do, stop sayin that.

GIRL. You need to relax. Pause. Girl.

PEACE OUT.. Still hear that.

by Anonymousreply 26510/31/2011

Or Bitches.

Hi Bitches, Yeah Bitches, Later Bitches. Mean Girls talk... ugh!

by Anonymousreply 26610/31/2011

I'm really annoyed by the current American preoccupation with being prideful about one's own idiocy and bad taste as exemplified by the myriad of karaoke tv shows and the people who brag about watching them. Those are the same people who haven't read a book since high school and, only then, if at all, because it was forced and these people only learn about "music" as sold to them by Clear Channel and movies only exist to them as blockbusters to see to keep up with current discussion. The celebration of Low Brow awful in the US right now is absolutely revolting. I heard someone brag the other night that he doesn't ever "read for pleasure" as though this was a positive thing to remark on about his own lifestyle. This same guy spends about 20 hours a week at the gym NOT THINKING BECAUSE HE HAS NO BRAIN.

by Anonymousreply 26710/31/2011

That's how I roll.

by Anonymousreply 26810/31/2011

by Anonymousreply 26911/02/2011

"god forbid.."

Those who use this in their posts absolutely have no idea how malicious and super phony they sound. They think it makes them sound wise and convincingly trustworthy = Losers.

by Anonymousreply 27011/02/2011

[R267] is a VERY jealous individual.

by Anonymousreply 27111/02/2011 doubt.....

by Anonymousreply 27211/02/2011

I find these two examples annoying: People who say "enjoy" when serving a meal. People who say "I'm good" instead of "I'm well".

by Anonymousreply 27311/02/2011

[quote]Did I just say that out loud?

HATE this one, and can't stand passive aggressive cowards who whisper insults under their breath either. Say it out loud, to my face or STFU, loser.

A cousin to this one is:

**cough(add insult here)cough**

Childish and cowardly. A complete turnoff.

by Anonymousreply 27411/02/2011

"Nuff Said" is trendy? Smilin' Stan would be so proud. I never understood replying on message boards with "THIS" This what? I literally the first time I saw someone reply to me with a THIS, I reponded "what about this?" I didn't know what they were saying.

by Anonymousreply 27511/02/2011

I went to see Malcolm Gladwell speak last night. He's a fairly articulate person, but he used "like" as much as the average Anerican does (and he's not even American. He's Canadian). "you know, like" and "I mean, like,"

Thankfully, he was nowhere near as bad as Caroline Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 27611/02/2011

This nonsense about "reaching out" to someone, instead of just speaking to them or asking them a question.

by Anonymousreply 27711/02/2011

Cub, bear, otter or whatever the current euphemism for fat is today.

Play when its used to mean having sex or fucking. So juvenile.

by Anonymousreply 27811/02/2011

by Anonymousreply 27911/02/2011

I completely agree with R278 and R279.

by Anonymousreply 28011/02/2011

"the __-word"

If you're gonna use or discuss a word, say it, you puritan chickenshit.

by Anonymousreply 28211/03/2011

Many of you posting here are guilty of the worst offender of all: using the f-bomb in every sentence.

by Anonymousreply 28304/06/2012

[quote]Many of you posting here are guilty of the worst offender of all: using the f-bomb in every sentence.

Sorry, mom.

by Anonymousreply 28404/06/2012

I'm liking "dragged" these days!

1.t draggedt

being disrespected or humiliatied on an internet forum.

"Bitch, u gon' get dragged up and down this thread--I have mad info on u and u will regret EVER fucking with me!!!"

by Anonymousreply 28504/06/2012

Don't go there.

by Anonymousreply 28604/06/2012

The condescending "Does that make sense?" after explaining something

by Anonymousreply 28704/06/2012

What's the deal with college aged girls with goofy looking little pigtails sticking out all over their heads and ugly horned rim glasses? I see this sort at coffee bars all the time.

by Anonymousreply 28804/06/2012

"Me happy" used by people over the age of two.

by Anonymousreply 28904/06/2012

[quote] And "doing a happy dance"?? Again, where did that stupidity come from?

From the Peanuts comic strip and it has been around for FORTY FUCKING YEARS.

More like "tarded" on your part.

by Anonymousreply 29004/06/2012

[quote] exemplified by the myriad of karaoke tv shows and the people who brag about watching them

Sorry, but I will NOT apologize for watching this at least once a month.

by Anonymousreply 29204/06/2012

People. Who. Puncuate. Like. This. For. Dramatic. Emphasis. I apologize if this has been discussed already.

by Anonymousreply 29304/06/2012

Not so much.

Other hackneyed phrases, I can hear without wanting to hurt myself. Not so much? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 29404/06/2012

What is nomnomnom? Is that like cookie monster speak or something.

Some of these are truly annoying, others are just part of our vernacular, like it or not.

And, for the record, I like "yeeeah, um no"

by Anonymousreply 29504/06/2012

I HATE it when people write 'of' instead of 'have', as in "I must of done it," instead of "I must have done it."

And it's becoming more and more common. Of course, the dipshits will say it's because of language evolving and changing all the time. Nope. It's just declining literacy skills and being too lazy to do anything about them.

by Anonymousreply 29604/06/2012

cool beans

by Anonymousreply 29704/06/2012

[quote]"Loves me some" was outdated in 1998. It is now used pervasively by fat white middle-aged frauen.

I associate it with Benita Butrell on In Living Color.

R292, that's David Costabile. I *love* him. Is he on Breaking Bad? Maybe I need to watch that.

by Anonymousreply 29804/06/2012

"Don't be THAT guy!" "Tell me I'm not THAT guy!" And any variation thereof. Oh, and "Do you really want to go THERE?"

by Anonymousreply 29904/06/2012

R296 I agree! It sounds so coarse and ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 30004/06/2012

R294, I would like to say "not so much" just to see you hurt yourself!

by Anonymousreply 30104/06/2012

Ummmmmm, no.

Love that!

by Anonymousreply 30204/06/2012

There's one particular DL douchebag that I call the "Heathers Troll" -- because he or she (who knows) begins every response with "_____ much?"

"Jealous much?" "Defensive much?" "Objectify much?"

I never even respond because it feels like an unfair fight with a true moron. Didn't know it was possible to feel embarrassed for an anonymous poster -- but he/she sounds like the dumbest little girl on the planet. Not just annoying but truly cringe-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 30304/06/2012

Project much?

by Anonymousreply 30404/06/2012

cringe cringe cringe, embarrassed shivers up my back as I try to picture who really talks like this in 2012

by Anonymousreply 30504/06/2012

Presh totes.

Totes adorbs.

Butthurt. As in, "I was just telling you the truth, don't get all butthurt". I heard my niece use it a few times. So gross.

Just. Stop.

Women who do the whole "wooooo hoooooo" thing. Yuck.

Just saying' has been mentioned a few times and I hate hat too.

by Anonymousreply 30604/06/2012

"Spot on!"

by Anonymousreply 30704/06/2012

I hate, "Why don't you shoot diarrhea out of your mouth!"

by Anonymousreply 30804/06/2012

[quote]I associate it with Benita Butrell on In Living Color.

Oh, Lord! I LUVS me sum Benita Buttrell!

by Anonymousreply 30904/06/2012

That's a good question.

by Anonymousreply 31004/06/2012

That is so fetch!

by Anonymousreply 31104/06/2012

What is the origin of "I know, right?" anyway? Was that a TV show or movie catchphrase?

by Anonymousreply 31204/06/2012

Great question!!!!

by Anonymousreply 31304/06/2012

i suspect it came from Australia, [r313].

by Anonymousreply 31404/06/2012

"I know, right!"

I first heard this idiom from Ralphie May on Comedy Central.

He's that immense stand up comedian.

by Anonymousreply 31504/06/2012

Good on you!

by Anonymousreply 31604/06/2012

[quote] that's David Costabile. I *love* him. Is he on Breaking Bad? Maybe I need to watch that

Yes, he is. You must watch the show. It has 3 seasons on Netflix and season 4 is available on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 31704/06/2012

FYI, David Costabile will be a regular on cable series "Suits" next season.

by Anonymousreply 31904/06/2012

First Word Problem.

by Anonymousreply 32004/06/2012

I can't stand it when fashion magazine fraus use "We're so loving ..." We are?

This one's British, but why have chips (regular thick-cut ones, not French fries)suddenly metamorphosed into "chunky chips?"

by Anonymousreply 32104/06/2012

I really could care less about this thread.

by Anonymousreply 32204/06/2012

R295: yeah, omnomnom originated with Cookie Monster.

by Anonymousreply 32304/06/2012

"you guys" - appended to elderly, rich, cultures, ANYone - waited on by a server in most restaurants.

Doctors/nurses/etc. calling patients by their first name right away.

"no problem" in place of correct "you're welcome."

"I'm done" (not re meal, re relationships, arguments, whatever

by Anonymousreply 32404/06/2012

[quote] First Word Problem.

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 32504/06/2012

Seeing people write *facepalm*

by Anonymousreply 32604/06/2012

[quote] Doctors/nurses/etc. calling patients by their first name right away.

Why shouldn't nurses call a patient by a first name? Patients call nurses by their first name. You never hear anyone referred to as "Nurse Jenkins" or "Miss Smith, the nurse."

by Anonymousreply 32704/06/2012

"Effeminate" used as a noun. Originally used by (and still limited to) people on DataLounge, trying to sound butch, despite their surroundings.

"On the ground in" used in place of "in." Originally used by (but, alas, not limited to) Matt Lauer, trying to sound butch, despite his excessive grooming and petit scale.

by Anonymousreply 32804/06/2012

"Journey" -- as in "cancer journey", "faith journey", "health journey", "relationship journey", etc.

We used to refer to a "process", which seemed fine to me.

by Anonymousreply 32904/06/2012

I remember hearing "I know, right?" back in the 80's, around the Valley Girl mess. Right now I hate "perfect" and "amazeballs" and "sheeple". Remember in the late 90's everyone at work was saying "paradigm"

by Anonymousreply 33004/06/2012

This annoys me, you ask someone if they like or are familiar with something and they shriek the word 'love'. "Danielle do you like maple bacon cupcakes?" "Oh my God, Love!!"

by Anonymousreply 33104/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 33204/06/2012

I'm sure it is on here but I vote for

No Problem as a response to Thank You - Makes me nuts

by Anonymousreply 33304/06/2012

R324 I'm with you. I hate that you guys shit. I'm female. I'm not a fucking guy! No problem, for thank you and the oh so huffily stated I'm done are loathsome.

by Anonymousreply 33404/06/2012

Everything! EVERYTHING!!!

by Anonymousreply 33504/06/2012

The abuse of 'pass' for 'pass away' or just plain 'die'. It started with those fake TV spiritualists and has now infested the internet.

"She was ill for five weeks and then she suddenly passed.." Passed what? Water? Gas? A kidney stone?

by Anonymousreply 33604/07/2012

Adding the F word in every sentence.

Are you fucking kidding me? It's fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 33704/07/2012

by Anonymousreply 33804/07/2012

Word to your mother.

by Anonymousreply 33904/07/2012

My bf has taken to saying "It is what it is" about 50 times a day. Pretty soon IT IS gonna be a punch in the face.

And one of my close friends has started ending his texts with "Regards, J". Maybe it's his auto-signature but damn, STOP THAT!!

by Anonymousreply 34004/07/2012

Let's think of some proper words to replace our idiosyncratic speak. Start a thread and quit complaining.

by Anonymousreply 34104/07/2012

r340, it is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 34204/07/2012

R342, I am going to hunt you down and make you suck my smelly socks. Dammit.

by Anonymousreply 34304/07/2012

"Well wishes"

I did not wish you well. I wished you a happy birthday, or hope that an unfortunate situation improves. So the response "Thanks for the well wishes" doesnt make sense.

by Anonymousreply 34404/07/2012

Any version of the non-word "squick".

by Anonymousreply 34504/07/2012

I really hate "lady boner". I've heard it from both dykes and straight girls.

by Anonymousreply 34704/07/2012

R347 I so 'feel' you. The appropriate expression is, of course, a wide on.

by Anonymousreply 34804/07/2012

LOL @ R347.

by Anonymousreply 34904/07/2012

When you say you hate the use of the word 'perfect', how do you mean?

I work in retail, and I find it bizarre and irritating when customers say "Perfect" after I hand them their change, or give them a bag, or tell them the public restroom is on the 3rd floor. "Perfect." Is it really PERFECT that the restroom is on the 3rd floor? Like, is that actually the most convenient floor for you to pee?

I'm in New York City, by the way, if that matters.

by Anonymousreply 35004/07/2012

On the other hand, when I give change to a British/Aussie customer and they say "Brilliant," I find it quite flattering.

by Anonymousreply 35104/07/2012

"That is all."

by Anonymousreply 35204/07/2012

I hate people who say "Trust" as a sentence on its own. So affected. So gross. Trust.

by Anonymousreply 35304/07/2012

OMG, this is so nommy! Happy nomming! Nom nom nom.

by Anonymousreply 35404/07/2012

Hating On. Epecially since it's usually used as a scold to someone who never actually said they hated someone or something. Just that they didn't think it was as great as the user does.

by Anonymousreply 35504/07/2012

"Why does everyone at DL hate...?"

by Anonymousreply 35604/07/2012

"Me so Hoongry!"

Phrased used only by obese pigs trying to make light of their enormous appetites and bodies. Fucking nasty.

by Anonymousreply 35704/07/2012

"Co-signed" when you agree with a poster.

by Anonymousreply 35804/09/2012

"Gay" as a noun instead of an adjective, as in "He's a gay," or "I feel like a total gay".

by Anonymousreply 35904/09/2012

What about the people who've taken up the European way of eating/holding a fork in their left hand with the tines facing downward ! Pretentious ass holes!

by Anonymousreply 36004/09/2012

Oh god i'm from the dump aka staten island but i hold my utensils that way out of a habit formed when i WAS a pretentious teen.

by Anonymousreply 36104/09/2012

grow the economy

by Anonymousreply 36204/09/2012

your truth

her truth

my truth

by Anonymousreply 36304/09/2012

People who use "Hmmm?" when they're being snarky. HATE SEETHING HATE.

Also fraus with baby/toddler blogs who refer to themselves in terms of the (often sick-making) nickname they use for their kids, and in the third person as well: "Schmoo cleared his plate today. This made Mommy Schmoo very, very happy."

by Anonymousreply 36404/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 36504/10/2012

The word "Yum!" when speaking about a desirable person.

"I just threw up a little in my mouth."

by Anonymousreply 36604/13/2012

"Holla back"

"Terrif" (or any word cut in half)

"Moving forward"

"Get over it"

by Anonymousreply 36704/14/2012

by Anonymousreply 36804/14/2012

"I don't give a rat's ass."

"I could (or couldn't) care less"

"I'm not a happy camper"

by Anonymousreply 36904/14/2012

In my country teenage girls say "I cunnut" to mean "I cannot" which is generally slang for disapproval of something...

Example "Can you believe he wanted me to suck his dick AND like his ass? I cunnut!"

by Anonymousreply 37004/14/2012

You all sound like bitter, angry, butt puckered, judgmental assholes.

Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 37104/14/2012

This is a great threat. What it points out to us definitely offers the perfect teachable moment.

by Anonymousreply 37204/14/2012

"I know, right?"

"winning" and "winners"

For mannerisms: the 'cornudo' sign used by rockstars and just about everyone else who wants to convey that they are somehow "bitchin"

by Anonymousreply 37304/15/2012

In response to cute picture, a death, an inspirational quote.

Particularly when spelled "awe."

by Anonymousreply 37404/15/2012

OP has no friends, just social service welfare workers and his parole officer.

by Anonymousreply 37504/15/2012

by Anonymousreply 37604/15/2012

Are we having fun yet?

Been there, done that.

Have a good one!

Hella (as in "he's hella pretty!")

Skill set

Too funny!

Welcome to MY world

by Anonymousreply 37704/15/2012

ENOUGH with this Chung Ho racist schtick.

by Anonymousreply 37904/15/2012

Baby bump.

by Anonymousreply 38004/15/2012

by Anonymousreply 38104/15/2012

When did the term "out of pocket" become synonymous with being away from the office? My partner has adopted a whole raft of these annoying phrases ("skill sets" being another one) and when he uses them at home it just pisses me off.

by Anonymousreply 38204/15/2012

[quote]"I don't give a rat's ass."

Nothing will make me give this up.

Some things never go out of style.

by Anonymousreply 38304/15/2012

The annoyingly evergreen New England term, "wicked," as in "wicked good."

by Anonymousreply 38404/15/2012

"Self-soothing" "self-care". I'm hearing adults use this in reference to themselves, as if they were 2 years old. Fucking therapy-speak.

by Anonymousreply 38504/15/2012

We've recently had wildfires and firefighters no longer put out or extinguish fires. They "knock down" fires.

"Firefighters have knocked down the fire in Ridge and are attempting to knock it down further to the east."

by Anonymousreply 38604/15/2012

[quote] Queens, some of this shit is at least 20 years old

I know, right?

Seriously though, Snoopy did the Happy Dance almost 45 years ago and it's been part of the lexicon ever since. Who thinks that's "trendy"?

In high school, we drove our parents crazy saying "right?" at the end of every sentence. And "I know, right?" meant "I concur with you. 100%" I graduated high school in 1973. So that's been around on and off for 40 years.

I worked at a German restaurant from 1969-1976 and the boss, from Germany, used to say, "I coot geef a rat's ass!" There is nothing new about that expression.

by Anonymousreply 38704/15/2012

Referring to entertainers as "artists". So gagworthy.

Use of the word "artisan" when "rustic" is what is meant.

by Anonymousreply 38804/15/2012

artisan bread

by Anonymousreply 38904/15/2012

Signature Soups

Signature Desserts

Signature Coffees

by Anonymousreply 39004/15/2012

Starbuck's Tall, Grande and Venti.

by Anonymousreply 39104/15/2012

"Fail" as a noun.

It's as moronic as "effeminate" as a noun.

by Anonymousreply 39204/15/2012

"Really? Really?" to imply disbelief at something, or annoyance (like someone taking a long time at a register)."

My public speaking teacher says this all the time. Its very annoying.

by Anonymousreply 39304/15/2012

for shit and giggles Zomg

by Anonymousreply 39404/15/2012

I hear the word "decades" constantly now. Not necessarily a trendy word, but I've noticed I hear it all the time now. Anyone else notice that?

by Anonymousreply 39504/16/2012

[quote]"Awwwwww." In response to cute picture, a death, an inspirational quote. Trivializes.

Yes, you wouldn't want to trivialize your cousin's cute cat photo.

I've never seen anyone write "Awwwww" in response to a death notice.

by Anonymousreply 39604/16/2012

This past week I've spoken to two people who say "thank you" when you agree with them...its so odd

is it so they make sure you know they thought of it too? its such a strange addition to a conversation

by Anonymousreply 39704/16/2012

I once had a book on the evolution of language, and it said that most of us just want language to remain as it was when we learned it, but that "live" languages (i.e., not Latin) will always evolve.

by Anonymousreply 39804/16/2012

My local newscaster just used "knock down" in refernce to a fought fire this morning!

Firefighters must really hate basement-dwellers or something.

by Anonymousreply 39904/16/2012

I agree R388, I can't stand it when entertainers refer to themselves as "artists" either. I remember hearing Madonna say this about herself in the 80s. I was young and a huge fan but even then I thought it was a bit rich. And now anyone who has ever picked up a microphone is referring to themselves as an artist. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 40004/16/2012

I have a friend who while telling a story will use the phrase "you know what I mean?" after every three sentences. That drives me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 40104/16/2012

R392 here. I just read the posts that followed mine, so looked at 392 as well. It had been altered, although in a way with which I sympathize. I objected to the use of a word that means "womanly" as a noun. But instead of the word I had typed, "[childish epithet posted by a bigoted tool]" appears. I AGREE that it's a stupid usage; that was my POINT, but it's a little strange having the word to which I was objecting deleted and replaced by that phrase.

I assume that there's no point in my using the actual word here, since it apparently automatically gets replaced.

by Anonymousreply 40204/16/2012

R402, what was the word?

by Anonymousreply 40304/16/2012

[quote]This past week I've spoken to two people who say "thank you" when you agree with them...its so odd. is it so they make sure you know they thought of it too?

Yes. The intended meaning is "Thank you for expressing exactly what I've been thinking [or saying all along]!" so you know they thought of it first.

[quote]I assume that there's no point in my using the actual word here, since it apparently automatically gets replaced.

This is very strange! Please find a way to paraphrase the word, so we know why this happens.

by Anonymousreply 40404/16/2012

Using the made up word "squee" as a verb to signify your reaction of excitement over something. "OMG season finale of True Blood starts in 5 minutes. SQUEEEE!"

by Anonymousreply 40504/16/2012

After telling someone a horrible story or occurrence they say "I can't even imagine".

by Anonymousreply 40604/16/2012

I hate when a woman who makes movies or acts in plays calla herself an actor instead of actress. Why is 'ess' so bad? Poetess, priestess, sculptress, actress. I think Maya Angelou started this, one of her things implored women to not call themselves the 'ess' of a profession. Bah.

by Anonymousreply 40704/16/2012

Awww SNAP! You just got served, homie.

by Anonymousreply 40804/16/2012

Straight guys and their use of the word 'bro.'

Every time they call me bro I die a little inside.

by Anonymousreply 40904/16/2012

[quote]I can't stand it when entertainers refer to themselves as "artists"

That's why I only used the initial.

by Anonymousreply 41004/16/2012

R3 and R4, I wasn't trying to be coy -- I just figured that it would be useless to try to type the word, since it would automatically disappear and be replaced with that phrase (with which I don't disagree, although I'm ticked that even discussion of words becomes impossible).

On the assumption that the replacement is automatic, it won't notice "etanimeffe," since I've typed it backward (as though I had sylDexia). I'm sort of grossed out by seeing it used as a noun, but I'm also grossed out by the censorship.

About 18 years ago, when chat rooms were new (to me, at least) and seemed as though they might be worthwhile, I was talking on AOL about dog breeding. I referred to "the bitch" and was reprimanded by AOL. By a live person, too, not an automatic warning.

by Anonymousreply 41104/16/2012

"Thank you, so much"

Ugh, whatever happened to a simple "Thank you" or just "Thanks"? I hear it used all the time by reality whores like the Kardashian sisters when they are ordering at a restaurant and people on competition reality shows when they get eliminated.

"Thank you, so much for the opportunity."

by Anonymousreply 41204/16/2012

I'd like to thank my personal savior......

by Anonymousreply 41304/16/2012

When a chef calls his or her way of cooking their "Food Philosophy".

by Anonymousreply 41404/16/2012

So... we can type nigger, but not effeminate?

by Anonymousreply 41504/16/2012

Why has no one mentioned the nasty originator of cutsey words which immediately become so over used the lothsome Rachael Ray? "YUMMO" 'EVOO" "SAMMY" "DELISH" I cant go on. I'm feeling ill.

by Anonymousreply 41604/16/2012

manup epic fail reach out to someone

like nails down a chalkboard

by Anonymousreply 41704/16/2012

"Using the made up word "squee" "

"Jumpy claps!"

"I'm SO LOVING this!"

by Anonymousreply 41804/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 41904/16/2012

Looks like it, 415. Depending, of course, on what you typed.

by Anonymousreply 42004/16/2012

I don't like "just sayin" and the worst of all is "cray cray" instead of crazy who came up with that!

by Anonymousreply 42111/14/2012

"I love me some..." When it's said by white people. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 42211/14/2012

R407 (just seeing this bumped thread now, sorry). Agree with you; I find "female actor" cumbersome (oh, and "Actress" seems to be good enough for most award shows; hello?!) but I do remember trying to make this argument at work, to lawyers (I am an assistant) and several female lawyers saying,"well, but no one says, 'lawyeress' - or 'doctress' - and then, I didn'tknow what to say, hee-hee!

by Anonymousreply 42311/14/2012

"radio silence"

"Hey did you ever hear back from Karen on that big issue?"

"Nope. Nothin' but RADIO SILENCE!"

by Anonymousreply 42411/14/2012

by Anonymousreply 42611/14/2012

Drop it like it's hot

by Anonymousreply 42711/14/2012

I just wanted to resurrect this long dead thread to chime in and make it known that I will gouge the eyes out of the next person that uses the term "cray cray". If you won't make the same commitment then you are a part of the problem and I hate you.

by Anonymousreply 42801/05/2013

Amazeballs. Fucking stop it.

And "artisanal". I bought some Entenmann's-looking breakfast pastry at Ralphs the other morning, and it was labeled "Artisanal Pastry." NO NO NO NO.

by Anonymousreply 42901/05/2013

We hate you too, Elmer.

by Anonymousreply 43001/05/2013

"He is a genius." "He is brilliant." "110%" - which is mathematically impossible. "I will remember/love you forever"....ummmm, you can only do this for a lifetime at most. "There are a millions reasons"...then they name 2-3.

by Anonymousreply 43101/05/2013

Absotively or posolutely

by Anonymousreply 43201/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 43301/05/2013

Bite me or eat me or sit on it and spin.

by Anonymousreply 43401/05/2013

I will reach out to him meaning make a phone call.

by Anonymousreply 43501/05/2013

What's happening!

by Anonymousreply 43601/05/2013

"This thread is off the hook," said no one ever.

Woot! Woot!

by Anonymousreply 43701/05/2013

R296 is SPOT ON! "If I would've known ..." drives me bananas! It's "If I had known" people! (I was told that "had I but known" went out 100 years ago.)

"Cray cray" is kind of cute, but thern again, I think I've heard it used all of once.

"Thank you!" in agreeing with someone's opinion I'm inferring (since I wasn't there) expresses the idea of "Thank you for confirming I'm not the only person who feels that way ..."

Benita Butrell (I thought her name was Betrayal as she's always stabbing her "friends" - especially Miss Jenkins - in the back) was one of my favorite television characters, EVER!

by Anonymousreply 43801/05/2013

Pretentious - and unpronouncable...

by Anonymousreply 43901/05/2013

old school

by Anonymousreply 44001/05/2013

[quote]I hate when a woman who makes movies or acts in plays calla herself an actor instead of actress. Why is 'ess' so bad? Poetess, priestess, sculptress, actress.

To bolster your point, you cited 3 examples that no one uses anymore. "Poetess?" Come on now.

"Ess" as a suffix is "bad" because it implies that there's something different about a job when a woman does it. We don't say "doctoress" or "police officeress" for exactly those reasons.

by Anonymousreply 44101/05/2013

[quote]The annoyingly evergreen New England term, "wicked," as in "wicked good."

Evergreen indeed -- I heard San Francisco Bay Area teenage girls saying it in the early 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 44201/05/2013

"It is what it is"

by Anonymousreply 44301/05/2013

Imma Be. ??? Don't even WRITE that. Didn't you just graduate from college?

That is all

by Anonymousreply 44401/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 44501/05/2013

"Priestess" has a pagan implication; I used it once, jokingly, to refer to a female clergyperson, and was slammed for bit elsewhere.

I use Your Mileage May Vary regularly in online book reviews as it expresses well the concept of "I couldn't get into this one (didn't much like it), but the writing quality wasn't bad, so it was likely just me, I could understand the book appealing to others." Is what is ...

"Wicked" is okay from actual New Englanders.

by Anonymousreply 44601/05/2013

On phrase that I don't understand is adding the word "much" to the end of a statement. I've only seen it on DL, and I haven't heard it in real life, so it might just be a DL thing, but an example is something like, "Jealous, much?" I'm not exactly sure what it means, or why people use it, but it's super irritating.

by Anonymousreply 44701/05/2013

"Jealous, much" makes sense to me as shorthand for "you're a generally bitter person, aren't you?" but I can see why it annoys you.

One kiddie usage that elicited a serious hiss from this eldergay was hearing a young lady ask a friend, "Were you at (such and such a place) last night?" He replied that he had been, to which she crowed, "I TOTALLY saw you!"

What. The. Fuck?

by Anonymousreply 44801/05/2013

I hate it when "yeah man," and "I'm hep" are used by the young people. "Cool your jets" and "dig it," just burn me up. Dig what? The dirt in the ground? And what jets am I supposed to cool?

This "no way, Jose" and and calling a man a FOX! Men are not foxes , women are!

I am just astounded by the degredation of the language.

by Anonymousreply 44901/05/2013

I do agree, R449. And that Elvis fellow is quite disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 45001/05/2013

Men can be foxes, deal with it.

As for "cool your jets" - the idea is that one's engines are all revved up over some outrage, so the idea is to pull back on the power. The metaphor(?) works; however, I grant you that it's quite dated. Same for "dig it" and "I'm hep" -- they're right up there with "23 Skidoo"!

by Anonymousreply 45101/05/2013

Where did "Woot!" originate? I started seeing it 3 years ago out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 45201/05/2013

[quote] it's quite dated. Same for "dig it" and "I'm hep

Wow, nobody can get anything past you!

by Anonymousreply 45301/05/2013

"I'm not a fan" to indicate dislike. Go ahead & be a fan ("I'm a Giants fan", "I'm a fan of Daffy Duck"), but please stop saying that you're not a fan of various food items, political positions, weather phenomena, bugs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 45401/06/2013

I once read a porn novel that referred to its heroine as "the indomitable fuckstress."

by Anonymousreply 45501/06/2013

"Caftans and earrings"

so eldergay!

by Anonymousreply 45601/07/2013

[quote]the indomitable fuckstress

That's brilliant, sounds like a title, like "the dowager countess"

by Anonymousreply 45701/07/2013

Is wat it iz

by Anonymousreply 45801/07/2013

"Dont be such a dumb bitch, ya cheap ho!" I hear that all the time.

by Anonymousreply 45901/08/2013

"You are sooo AMAZING!"

by Anonymousreply 46002/04/2013

R439 = Goyishest goy whoever goyimed. Makes Ryan Phillippe look like Adam Goldberg. Oy!

by Anonymousreply 46102/04/2013

Just read TwoP if you want to read annoying, past-trendy (out-of-date) affectations. Word.

by Anonymousreply 46202/04/2013

Don't forget "gnome sayin'?"

by Anonymousreply 46302/24/2013

[quote]I work in retail, and I find it bizarre and irritating when customers say "Perfect" after I hand them their change, or give them a bag, or tell them the public restroom is on the 3rd floor. "Perfect." Is it really PERFECT that the restroom is on the 3rd floor? Like, is that actually the most convenient floor for you to pee?

They may be lookin to git sexed off in there, not to pee.

by Anonymousreply 46402/24/2013

Perfect, awesome, amazing. Things that are really perfect, awesome or amazing do not happen after every sentence people!

by Anonymousreply 46502/24/2013

This thread has given us such a teachable moment.

by Anonymousreply 46602/24/2013

Amazeballs is the worst thing I've heard since, forever maybe.

" I mean..."

"I just can't"

Bro, bromance

by Anonymousreply 46702/24/2013

This thread is tl;dnr.

by Anonymousreply 46802/24/2013

This thread is everything.

by Anonymousreply 46902/24/2013

What really grinds my gears...when nouns are used as verbs for example task becomes tasked and source sourced. They are shortcuts that are just lazy.

by Anonymousreply 47002/24/2013

Annoyed by "yolo".

by Anonymousreply 47102/24/2013

I, too, deplore verbification, R470.

We don't "parent" children, we "raise" them.

We don't "transition" from one project to another, we "move".

And don't even get me started on the "ize" trend: incentivize, monetize, weaponize. No one but Kingfish can get away with using this kind of abomination.

by Anonymousreply 47202/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 47302/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 47402/24/2013

Doing the original Happy Dance in 1986.

by Anonymousreply 47502/24/2013

The latest lame turdlet being flung in corporate wench-speak:

by Anonymousreply 47602/24/2013

“Take it to the next level”

“Thinking outside the box”

“Shut the front door” “Cute as a button.” How cute is a button, really?

“Sourced” instead of “found,” or “bought”

Isn’t “happy dance” a Snoopy thing, from Peanuts?

R36, I got in such a fight with someone selling “vintage” Fiestaware that was really Post86 (Fiesta started manufacturing Fiestaware again in 1986; “vintage” means anything from before 1973.

I used to hate “And Martha was, like, “If you don’t get that cupcake right, I’m going to have you publicly castrated on 8th Avenue’”, and he was, like, “Cupcake coming up, cunt.”

But it’s become so ubiquitous, I say it myself without thinking. Within 25 years, the words “said” and “thought” will be considered antiquated.

“Totes” anything, but in particular, “Totes adorbs.” My barometer for stupid internet-addled teens and 20somethings and their brand new language is Blair Waldorf. If I can’t hear Blair saying it, out it should go.

That’s called upspeak, R55 (see link).

by Anonymousreply 47702/24/2013

No homo.

by Anonymousreply 47802/24/2013

[quote]I'm sick of trendy kid names. There's gonna be a ton of "Ava's", "Jake's", "Ella's" and lots of unisex names (Beckett, Sawyer, Skyler, etc) hitting kindergartens near you soon.

This has been an issue since the Baby on Board generation was, well, babies. Who was the Justin half the mothers who gave birth in the ‘80s named their sons after?

by Anonymousreply 47902/24/2013

Ridiculous child names that aren't ridiculous enough. If you're going to expose your tackiness and desperation for "specialness", names like "Caleb", "Ashleighton" or whatever aren't enough. Try "Andromeda Nexus Seven", "Midichlorian" or "Colodial Silverado"

by Anonymousreply 48002/24/2013

Both of those, R87

R120 Danielle?

“Touch base”

“Whilst” and “amongst” instead of “while” and “among” (Sorry, Brits.)

“Epic fail”

"radio silence"

by Anonymousreply 48102/24/2013

Or Kimantha

by Anonymousreply 48202/24/2013

23 skidoo, boys. This thread is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 48302/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 48402/24/2013

u for you

4 for for

2 for to

I will never use these - no matter how rushed I am.

I will, however, use "WTF?" because it's cute.

by Anonymousreply 48502/24/2013

Coloidal SIlverado ahahaha!

I hate this:

"The moment when you realize everyone's wearing a tuxedo"

YES? GO ON? What is it about this moment? Is there an end to this sentence? I even saw that MSNBC guy Chris something with the glasses post a sentence like this on his Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 48602/24/2013

grow the economy

by Anonymousreply 48702/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 48802/24/2013

I snarked with the 23 skidoo comment, but I hate "closure" too, R488.

by Anonymousreply 48902/24/2013

I can't stand "reach out" used in place of "contact".

by Anonymousreply 49002/24/2013

"Go to"

by Anonymousreply 49102/24/2013

Dead on, R123. A decade ago, I was always touched when I lost a pet and myy sent me the Rainbow Bridge condolences. And I did the same for them.

Now it become this truncated "Bridge" cliched excrescence, full of schmaltz and tinny music on pet websites.

And instead of feeling consoled, I always want to say to the sender:

[quote]Bobby! Should I take 'em to the bridge? / (Go Ahead!) / Take 'em on to the bridge! / (Take em to the bridge!) / Should I take 'em to the bridge? / (Yeah!) / Take 'em to the bridge? I'm going to the bridge, y'all!

by Anonymousreply 49202/25/2013

Good times, good times.

by Anonymousreply 49303/02/2013

"going forward".

by Anonymousreply 49403/22/2013

...that's rich.

by Anonymousreply 49503/22/2013

[quote]HATE "It is what it is."

Keri Russell's character on The Americans, which takes place in 1981, said that on this week's episode. Did people even say that back then?

by Anonymousreply 49603/22/2013

A word I am hearing now is "Hundo P" for 100 percent or really.

by Anonymousreply 49703/23/2013

Oh, stop complaining.

by Anonymousreply 49803/23/2013

I know, right?

by Anonymousreply 49903/23/2013

When black people say "bish" instead of "bitch". WTF is the point of that? You know you want to say "bitch", so just say it!

by Anonymousreply 50003/23/2013

Now that you mention it, "the N word" drives me nuts. Not the word itself; referring to it as "the N word" is offensive on another level. It's so bloody coy. One has already evoked the word with that phrase. And if one is discussing it as a word, rather than using it -- which wouldn't cross my mind -- I see nothing wrong with skipping the euphemism, if a single letter can be called a euphemism.

by Anonymousreply 50103/23/2013

ALL, used as a verb: "He's all, 'I'm hungry' and I'm all, 'But you just ate.'"

by Anonymousreply 50203/23/2013

Starting every other sentence with, "That being said..." A guy on one of our local radio talk shows uses it incessantly. I hear it all the time now. I don't remember it being used even ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 50303/23/2013

I've been feeling out of touch. Now after reading this thread I know all the current hot phrases and will be sure to use them as much as possible. Thanks everyone!

by Anonymousreply 50503/23/2013

It's all good.

by Anonymousreply 50603/23/2013

"At the end of the day"

Hyphenating EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 50703/23/2013

[quote]When black people say "bish" instead of "bitch". WTF is the point of that?

I think the faux cursing is a churchy thing, kinda like when Mormons say "flip," "scrud," or "oh my heck."

by Anonymousreply 50803/23/2013

R508 You might be right. Still, it's irritating because we all know what they're REALLY thinking when they say those cheesy phrases, so why not just say the real thing?

by Anonymousreply 50903/23/2013

I like to hyphenate, there's something so deliciously old-fashioned about it. Hair-pin, row-boat, hatch-back, etc. I use it for semi-comic effect but the truth is I find it charming.

by Anonymousreply 51003/23/2013

"Bucket list" Stupid enough when used for its original purpose - which came from a stupid movie, which people seem to forget - but even worse is how I'm seeing it used currently: "My pre-vacation bucket list..." Really? Unless you plan on KICKING THE BUCKET on your vacation, this makes no sense at all.

by Anonymousreply 51103/23/2013

no problem

by Anonymousreply 51203/23/2013

How about starting every sentence with "So", that seems to be a new trendy one.

by Anonymousreply 51303/23/2013

Or ending a sentence with "so"..

by Anonymousreply 51403/23/2013

I hate that one, 514. You're left sitting there awkwardly with the person, this pause in the air...

by Anonymousreply 51503/23/2013

"For Reals though"

by Anonymousreply 51603/23/2013

r512, you're just advertising that you're undesirable.

by Anonymousreply 51703/23/2013

It is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 51803/23/2013

This thread is totes amusing. It's the tits. I mean really, it's amazeballs.

by Anonymousreply 51903/23/2013

"Reach out to" when you mean "contact". Hate it.

by Anonymousreply 52003/23/2013

Draw a line in the sand

Get my arms around it

Due diligence

by Anonymousreply 52103/23/2013

Thinking the phrase is "whoa is me".

by Anonymousreply 52203/23/2013

"booty" for ass

by Anonymousreply 52303/23/2013

r523, you are old. Booty has been widely used since the early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 52403/23/2013

"Oh NOES!"

by Anonymousreply 52503/23/2013

Oh, hell to the naw!

by Anonymousreply 52603/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 52703/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 52804/16/2013

I know, right?

by Anonymousreply 52904/16/2013

The whole "INT" thing among teens and young adults...

"It's impor INT"

"Oh no you di INT"

"You sho INT"

Like nails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 53005/15/2013

"wrong on so many levels"

"Really? Really?"

"Wow, just...Wow"

"I know, Right?"

"My Bad" - people have annoyed me so much with this I've started saying "my good" every time I do something spectacular.

"Just Sayin"

by Anonymousreply 53105/30/2013

[quote] more and more of my friends are saying these, all of which drive me crazy:

Maybe you should not have friends if they drive you crazy simply by using mild current idioms.

by Anonymousreply 53205/30/2013

"I got nothing" as a means of saying your speechless.

by Anonymousreply 53305/30/2013

^you're, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 53405/30/2013

[quote]Booty has been widely used since the early 70s.

Not in the same way or as much as now. Even though I wasn't around then, I've seen lots of 70s movies and TV shows and it wasn't shoved into the public consciousness. But in any decade, they only people using it are annoying and ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 53505/30/2013

"If I tell you, I'll have to kill you."

As someone who watches way too much Food Network and Cooking Channel, I hear this so often it makes me cringe -- especially if the speaker says it as if they were the originator of the phrase.

It's so common that when someone like Guy Fieri asks what's in it, I know exactly what the cook will say and usually I'm right.

by Anonymousreply 53606/01/2013

I hate a lot of these stupid teen girl phrases like "Really? Really?" and "yeah, right?" but the absolute WORST is these sassy black woman phrases like "Oh HELL nah" or "Oh know you di'nt" especially when they're used by queeny gay white men.

by Anonymousreply 53706/11/2013

Anyone over the age of 13 that says or writes "just sayin" or "epic fail" is pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 53806/13/2013

I want my new apartment to be OPEN CONCEPT with an ON SUITE off the master.

by Anonymousreply 53906/13/2013

One I've only just started noticing on FB, which I hope I'd die in a grease fire before I'd use:

by Anonymousreply 54006/13/2013

Up your nose with a rubber hose

Sit on it!

Well excuuuuuse meee

Your mama

by Anonymousreply 54106/13/2013

Sex on a stick, as in "Ruth Bader-Ginsberg is sex on a stick!"

by Anonymousreply 54206/26/2013

A lot of the phrases that you find annoying are little more than local idioms that have seeped into the general public usage with a vengeance b/c of social media and the internet in general. The Kardashians and Jersey Shore didn't invent them, they were already in usuage long before, on the West Coast & East Coast i.e. the typical Valley Girl in California saying "Omg, Really? Are you Serious? Totally! " or New York "Get the F* outta here!" It boils down to cultural tribal mechanics and either limited vocabulary or an appreciation for "quips" for the element of humour. Frankly, the few comments I read here just made me realize how judgemental and intolerant people can be, even the academics who should know better.

by Anonymousreply 54307/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!