Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Skate Canada

They do it backwards - the men skate AFTER the women? Onika, why come?

by Anonymousreply 9506/27/2015

Good Christian values dictate ladies first. Therefore, Skate Canada with its strong Christian component follows these dictates.

by Anonymousreply 110/28/2011

um, ok r1

by Anonymousreply 210/29/2011

x

by Anonymousreply 310/29/2011

You know, I am sorry for starting the thread. Skating has been so boring, especially after the Winter Games last year.

by Anonymousreply 410/29/2011

R2, Skate Canada is run by Jesus freaks. Their director, Barb Macdonald, is in charge of Communications for One Way Ministries, an Evangelical Group that promotes a cure for homosexuality.

Skate Canada has also promoted Serving In Mission (Evangelical) and World Vision Ministries (Evangelical) on its website.

This "Tough" campaign to De-Gay figure skating in Canada, has deep religious roots. Notice how the only openly Gay figure skater from Canada (Brian Orser) has boycotted all Skate Canada events since the "Tough" campaign started in 2008, yet has appeared at every USFSA event since then. Also note who Brian Orser is hanging with these days.

by Anonymousreply 510/29/2011

What would be interesting and a real statement is if gay Canadian skaters chose to compete in the US. Don't the Olympic rules allow that?

by Anonymousreply 610/29/2011

What is with all these Christian conspiracy theories about high level skating in Canada?

Grow up!

If men are skating last, there is a good reason. The fact is that for years, Canadian men have better considerably better than their female counterparts (with the exception of Joannie Rochette). So, it seems pretty obvious, that men are skating last in order to highlight Patrick Chan.

Dont't know anything about a boycott by Brian Orser, but I believe he is there this year coaching the Spaniard who is in first place after the short program.

by Anonymousreply 710/29/2011

Under ISU law, Skate Canada has to release skaters legally, before they can compete for other countries - they refuse to do that. The Gay Canadian skaters, of last few years, all retired early. All of Canada's current top international medal winners do train in the USA now, so you know things are TENSE up there!

Understand how extremely quick and effective this "Tough" campaign has been already.

by Anonymousreply 810/29/2011

R7 Educate yourself sweetie!

Datalounge is a Gay board. If you want play the blind or indifferent heterosexual women game, go back to the FSU! You will feel more at home there.

by Anonymousreply 910/29/2011

Barbara MacDonald must be seized and fucked!

by Anonymousreply 1010/29/2011

I read of I think 3 or 4 male Canadian skaters who retired last year.. wonder why, huh? they were really good too. One common fact: they were ALL GAY. What is Canada gonna do when all their gay skaters quit? Because it's happening right now. Good luck finding 'straight' figure skaters! hah!

by Anonymousreply 1110/29/2011

The ISU has also reduced the prize money for GP events, have they not?

And I like Joannie. She skates leagues beyond Jennifer Robinson and Cynthia Phaneuf, who seems to be changing genders as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 1210/29/2011

A gay Canadian skater who simply retires is doing nothing to change things. A gay Canadian skater who retires because of the rampant homophobia at Skate Canada and names the names of the homophobes is doing all of Canada a great service.

Until that happens I doubt anything will change. It all remains a poorly kept secret that Skate Canada is anti-gay male.

by Anonymousreply 1310/29/2011

Sean, Joey, Paul and Jeremy gone since Barb MacDonald was hired just over 1 year now - all of them National medalists. Sean and Joey left in the spring of 2011. Paul broke with his skating partner and is no longer part of the national team. Jeremy is off the ice since 2010.

National Gold and Silver Canadian Gold and Silver, Jeff and Chris, retired suddenly and at the exact same time, in 2008, literally days after Skate Canada introduced "Tough" to the national team. Imagine it was the USA hosting the Olympics in 2010 and 18 months before, Evan Lysacek and Johnny Weir quit at the same time.

Who knows how many Canadian non-medalists also quit since 2008, before they peaked? 20? 30? Only national or world medal winners leaving, ever makes the press.

During the 2006 Olympics, every male single they had was Gay. Then, they started the "Tough Campaign" in September 2008. It worked! It worked well!

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2011

R13.. I have a feeling the homophobes practically forced them to retire.. maybe offered them some money to keep their mouth shut? Who knows.. I definitely think that it's not a coincidence that three gay male skaters retired practically at the same time, while they all were in the prime of their careers. No way, no how.. they retired because of pressure, or because of the rampant homophobia and they couldn't stand it anymore. The fact is though that this is going on and NOBODY is willing to call them out of it when it's so obvious. It makes me sick. What they do is awful, but the fact that nobody is willing to call them out on it just makes it even worse.

by Anonymousreply 1510/29/2011

"The ISU has also reduced the prize money for GP events, have they not?"

Yes, I think so. I believe it used to be $30,000 for a gold medal. I think it is down to $18,000 now.

by Anonymousreply 1610/29/2011

EGALE (Equality for Gays and Lesbians Everywhere) did call out Skate Canada on this before the Olympics, but they got quiet - very quickly. The CEO of Skate Canada is a Corporate Lawyer, so I imagine threats came hard and fast.

XTRA Canada never touched it, mind you XTRA is a sex focused magazine, occasionally mentioning political issues.

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2011

Could you please quit with all the politics stuff? Let's focus on talking about the guys, their asses, and their programs.

by Anonymousreply 2010/29/2011

Supposedly he is, R19 - even though he has a high voice and pings.

He's been dating skater Jessica Dube for the past few years.

He comes from small town Ontario, and I suspect he may like Conservative PM Stephen Harper. : (

by Anonymousreply 2110/29/2011

Is the ice dancing couple, the one that won the Olympics that has the hot dude still skating? What about the American couple that came in third that were friends, he was also a hot dude?

by Anonymousreply 2210/29/2011

Yes, R22, both the Canadian champions and the American champions are still skating this season. The Canadians are at this event, and the Americans were at Skate America last week.

And I believe the Canadians and Americans were 1st and 2nd actually and that it was the Russians who were 3rd at the Olympics last year.

by Anonymousreply 2310/29/2011

Scott Moirs mother, Alma, her twin sister Carol and their family, are the main ones pressuring Skate Canada to flush out the gays. Scott hides from what his family is doing. Canton is an isolation chamber for both of them, but Tessa is starting to become aware of the damage being done in their name. She has the brains.

Both Tessa and Scott come from London - North of London (IIderton), Ontario. The folks who live in London have a long and well documented anti-gay history.

- Londons Mayor, Diane Haskall refused to allow Pride in this city of 250,000 +. She was sued in court and lost.

- Londons Police Chief, Julian Fantino, used to have the police hunt out gay men out in public. When he moved to become the Police Chief of Toronto, the gay community fought for years to keep him out.

- Londons Federal MP, Pat O'Brien, Was kicked out the Federal Liberal party for his anti-gay rants. He insisted that 90% of the people in London were against equal rights for gays.

- One of the big players, currently on Skate Canadas Board of Directors, is a Bill Boland, a 60 something Businessman from London, Ontario - guess how he feels about Gays and figure skating ;)

In the USA, you have James Dobson and his Colorado Springs based "Focus on the Family". In Canada, this place is London, Ontario. So it should not surprise anyone what is happening to Skate Canada.

by Anonymousreply 2410/29/2011

So how is Patrick Chan able to deliver his bribes to the judges? It is interesting that he hasn't been caught yet.

by Anonymousreply 2510/29/2011

I tried to find a live feed for it, but cannot. I only watch the men's and the pairs. The other disciplines really bore me.

by Anonymousreply 2610/29/2011

Canton Michigan is not really a gay freedom sort of place. I hope they actually live in Ann Arbor or some decent place.

by Anonymousreply 2710/29/2011

Who are the fat people in pink in the front row?

by Anonymousreply 2810/29/2011

The group from 'Focus on Family'

by Anonymousreply 2910/29/2011

Skatefraus r28. And the Entenmann's are hidden under their seats, with their knitting.

by Anonymousreply 3010/29/2011

They look like 1970s tennis balls and they are distracting the competitors!

by Anonymousreply 3110/29/2011

Until I saw the audience shot, I didn't know Mississauga had so many middle and senior aged white women.

by Anonymousreply 3210/30/2011

r31, they could also be visiting from the States. They sell packages to the Grand Prix figure-skating events. Air fare, hotel, which discipline you want to attend, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3310/30/2011

[bold]Miss Patti Wins Skate Canada[/bold]

Canada's Patrick Chan began the defence of his world figure skating championship with a come-from-behind win at Skate Canada International Saturday night in Mississauga, Ont.

Chan was third after the men's short program Friday but his free-skating program Saturday, was good enough, even with a fall and a stumble, to take gold and the $18,000 US first prize.

Javier Fernandez of Spain, the leader after the short program, took silver and $13,000 and Japan's Daisuke Takahashi won bronze and $9,000.

Chan got 253.74 points overall, Fernandez 250.33 and Takahashi 237.87.

This was the fourth consecutive win, counting last winter's nationals, for the 20-year-old Torontonian.

"It's cool," he said when asked about his streak. "You hear it all the time with hockey teams: four wins in a row, are they going to do it again?"

He'll get a shot at doing it again in two weeks at another Grand Prix meet, that one in Paris. Chan falls on 1st jump

Chan fell on his first jump, a quadruple toe loop, but the mere attempt was worth a pile of points. He followed with another quad toe and it was bang-on. He tacked on a triple toe to make it a combo to drive home the reality that he is the best free skater in the world.

The 20-year-old Torontonian stumbled on a footwork sequence, too, but his overall skills were better than those of his competitors.

Fernandez, 19, laid down two quads, and Takahashi, 25, offered one off-balance quad that earned him fewer marks than Chan got with the one he fell on.

"I made an extra effort to stay relaxed today and it felt good," Chan said. "My [free-skating] program is so brand new that my breathing pattern is not there yet.

"I'm still in search of that. It wasn't pretty but I was really proud of myself in recovering after my [footwork] trip. I'm extremely relieved. Hopefully the next competition, in Paris, will be a little stronger. It's a work in progress."

Fernandez, who trains in Toronto with former Canadian and world champ Brian Orser, earned Spain's first-ever Grand Prix medal.

"I was pretty nervous but I think I did the best I can," he said.

Takahashi is coming off knee surgery.

Everything is coming back," he said. "But my skating was far from my best. I need to brush up on the technical level."

Andrei Rogozine, 18, of Richmond Hill, Ont., finished seventh with 193.40. It was his first senior Grand Prix meet for the former world junior champ. He had a poor landing on an Axel but jammed in seven other clean triples.

"It was a learning experience," he said. "It opens a door for me. I've learned what it's all about now."

by Anonymousreply 3410/30/2011

I'll have to watch the YouTube videos. Was he overmarked? A case of "Chanflation"???

by Anonymousreply 3510/30/2011

Skate Canada is looking for sponsors and says it is close to finally finding one, since most fled within the last year. Anyone want to make a guess who that might be?

Chick-Fil-A, EXXON, Hyundai, Smuckers, Focus on the Family, The World Evangelical Association, The Mormon Church, SUN TV?

Which anti-gay business is about to get into bed with Skate Canada?

by Anonymousreply 3610/30/2011

Andrew Poje is such a hunk!

He's 6'3", Canadian and has a wonderful bubble butt!

by Anonymousreply 3710/30/2011

"Even with a fall and a stumble" I guess Patrick has improved, it's usually "two falls and a stumble" and a world championship that nobody can believe. I think Peggy Fleming could hit more jumps than Patrick Chan and she's like 70.

Scott Moir is really queening it up as Fred Astaire and his hair is just horrible (he should know better than to have it done in Michigan). Do you suppose he's bottoming now for Andrew Fage? I mean Poje?

Poje is tall and reasonably hot, I'll give him that.

by Anonymousreply 3810/30/2011

I'm in love with Andrew Poje!

What a smile!

by Anonymousreply 3910/30/2011

R37 link to poje's bubble butt please!

by Anonymousreply 4010/30/2011

Here you go.

by Anonymousreply 4110/30/2011

If you look at things from a Gay community, political and strategic perspective, Skate Canada getting a new Corporate Sponsor could be an advantage. If they sign with PraiseTheLord Inc. the community won’t be able to do anything, BUT, if Skate Canada hooks a company who is just not doing their due diligence properly and misses this history, that gives the community an way in. Skate Canada is government funded and obviously never gave crap about what the Gay community though of their campaign, but Corporations have to be wary of this stuff. So a new sponsor could be a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 4210/30/2011

R40, here's another one.

by Anonymousreply 4310/30/2011

That G&M article on Skate Canada sponsorships had 2 comments left by readers.

[quote]They can't find sponsors because this is not a sport.

[quote]When the "commentators" say that a better looking outfit might have given the "contestant" a better score, this is not a sport.

[quote]Skate Canada lost it sponsors because of its homophobic "Tough" campaign. BMO was with them for 15 years and left after they started this. It has nothing to do with the bad economy. I wonder which Corporation will be naive enough to miss the real reason why Skate Canada lost its sponsors? I'm guessing a Corporation with political far right leanings or non-Canadian - maybe an Asian Corporation?

by Anonymousreply 4410/30/2011

On man... Skate Canada is like FUG CITY! When did male figure skaters become so gross looking? Where are Michael Brezina, Stephan Lambiel, Brian Joubert, Charlie White?

Is ugly a requirement to compete in Canada?

by Anonymousreply 4510/30/2011

R45, none of those guys are competing at Skate Canada this year, although all of them have in the past.

Brezina and White were at Skate America last week. Joubert will be at Paris next week.

Lambiel has retired.

by Anonymousreply 4610/30/2011

R44. Skate Canada contacted Globe and Mail editorial this afternoon and got that comment about why the Bank of Montreal dropped their Skate Canada sponsorship after 15 years, deleted.

So we now know what Skate Canada is really afraid of.....Skate Canada is running out of money, for the first time in generations.

The Gay community knows where to concentrate our efforts now.

by Anonymousreply 4710/30/2011

More comments on the G&M website:

new #2

[quote]Unfortunately, Skate Canada has become a second rate event. Most of the talented international skaters skip this event. Skate Canada has to market and remake itself into a first-calss evemt again if it hopes to attract sponsors.

[quote]so what you naysayers are essentially saying is, then, that all "judged" sports should not technically be considered "sports." That would eliminate not only figure skating, but also freestyle moguls and aerials, snowboarding half-pipe, gymnastics (artistic and rhythmic), diving, synchronized swimming, and dressage. Furthermore, you'd also have to add any sport with a referee, since they are essentially "judging" whether or not there has been an infraction of the rules--so bye bye hockey, basketball, baseball, football, volleyball, rugby, soccer, handball, tennis, and even any sport involving racing (e.g., running, swimming, and speed skating), or fighting (wrestling, boxing, martial arts). All you'd be left with is sports that rely on technology to confirm points (fencing, for example), some strength sports (weightlifting, hammer throw, etc.), and a few other miscellaneous sports, such as long jump, curling, etc. So why call anything a sport then?

[quote]Of course it's not a sport. It's on ice and there's no fighting. A real hair puller between a couple of the girls would be quite a sight. They might invite Don Cherry and Coach's Corner to help out.

[quote]Only in Canada! Pity!

[quote]Issue is not whether this is a sport, issue whether anyone cares about it?

[quote]If more people did they would have a title sponsor. Simple as that.

[quote]That being said, how expensive can it be to have a skating competition? Sell a few tickets, rent the ice and BOOM competition.

[quote]This comment has violated our Terms and Conditions, and has been removed.

#6 must have been the "offensive" post that Skate Canada demanded be removed from the G&M site.

I cancelled my G&M subscription 3 years ago. Had I not I would have been cancelling tomorrow morning and using this removal of a comment as my reason.

by Anonymousreply 4810/30/2011

I believe the Globe and Mail and the National Post were the 2 Canadian newspapers that came to Skate Canada's defense when ABC New ran their story. They think it is about protecting Canada's reputation, but it really just allowed bigots to continue the control and destruction of figure skating in Canada. One day somebody will publicly acknowledge this, but not while anti-gay PM, Stephen Harper is in office.

by Anonymousreply 4910/30/2011

Check out the butt and thighs on this little Swede hobbit:

by Anonymousreply 5010/30/2011

[bold]Virtue & Moir win Skate Canada ice dance title[/bold]

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are back on top.

Canada's Olympic ice dance champions returned to the elite Grand Prix level for the first time since a 2010-11 season wrecked by injury and the relinquishment of their world title to win gold at the Skate Canada International and the $18,000 first prize Sunday.

The International Skating Union is pushing ice dancers to avoid overly serious drama in devising free dances this season and Virtue and Moir have hit that nail on the head.

"We wanted to do an uplifting, entertaining program," said Virtue.

They succeeded in the eyes of the judges and the Hershey Centre crowd of 3,300 in Mississauga, Ont., that gave them a rousing ovation for their playful program based on the 1957 American musical Funny Face. They also were head and shoulders above the opposition in the opening phase of the competition Saturday.

"It was a great weekend for us," said Moir.

Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje of Toronto won the silver medals and $13,000.

"We wanted to start the season strongly after ending last season so strongly," said Poje. "We worked our hardest over the summer to put together some great programs and we're going in the right direction."

Anna Cappelini and Luca Lanotte of Italy won bronze and $9,000.

The 2012 Skate Canada International will be in Windsor, Oct. 26-28, which will draw fans from southwestern Ontario where Virtue and Moir grew up.

Virtue, 22, was seven and Moir, 24, was nine when they began skating together in 1997 in Ilderton, Ont., population 2,000, just north of London, Ont. They train at an ice dance centre in Canton, Michigan, with longtime coaches Igor Shpilband and Marina Zoueva.

"It's great for us," says Virtue. "It's in our back yard and the new rink in Windsor is beautiful.

"It'll be fun. Any time we skate close to home it's a great advantage."

Virtue underwent surgery last year to treat chronic exertional compartment syndrome in both shins. They got in just enough training to get to the world meet last March and finished second. They eased into the new season with a win at a non-Grand Prix meet in Finland earlier this month.

Their new free dance features high lifts rarely seen in ice dancing. Emulating Funny Face stars Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire, Virtue and Moir got so into the performance that they spontaneously exchanged high fives when they broke from their final pose.

"Everybody could tell that at the end I was pretty excited," said Moir. "I had my Fred Astaire moment for four minutes but at 4:01 I came out with a Scott Moir moment."

Their second Grand Prix meet will be in Paris, Nov. 18-20.

Weaver, 22, and Poje, 24, work out of the Detroit Skating Club and are coached by former world champions Angelika Krylova and Shae-Lynn Bourne. They finished fifth at the 2011 world championships.

They had been at a loss for a new free dance theme but one arrived out of the blue. It's a serious, romantic piece customized for them from the French song Je Suis Malade and they've inserted choreography that they hope will satisfy the ISU.

"Someone sent it to us anonymously through our website," Weaver said. "I had no idea what it was and I was like, 'Should I even read this, I'm not sure,' but I opened it and I was just taken by it right away."

She'd like to find out who made the suggestion.

"I can't thank that person enough," she said. "I don't know who they are.

"They're out there somewhere. I'm hoping they'll reveal themselves when they learn this is our new free dance. Maybe they'll come forward so we can thank whoever that was because we really love this music."

They have two more GP assignments — in Sapporo, Japan, Nov. 11-13 and in Moscow, Nov. 25-27.

Cappellini, 24, and Lanotte, 26, were eighth at the 2011 world championships. Their free dance this season is to the soundtrack from La Strada. They got second-best marks for it, edging Weaver and Poje in the free dance by 27-100ths of a point.

"We love this free dance so much," says Cappellini. "There's so much emotion to it and I think we showed that."

Tarrah Harvey, 21, and Keith Gagnon, 23, of Vancouver were last among seven couples skating to a Rolling Stones medley. They were fifth at the 2011 Canadian championships and have a long ways to go to reach an international podium, but training in gymnastics with a circus troupe has helped them develop gender-bending lifts that will eventually score for them.

"Not all the teams can do them so it sets us apart," says Harvey.

They are coached by former national team ice dancers Megan Wing and Aaron Lowe, who on Oct. 6 welcomed twins — a son, Tayson, and a daughter, Keauna — into the world.

On Saturday, world champion Patrick Chan of Toronto won the men's singles title, 14-year-old Russian newcomer Elizaveta Tuktamisheva put on a startlingly polished show for someone her age to become the youngest women's winner in this meet since Toronto's Tracey Wainman in 1981, and Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov of Russia won pairs gold ahead of bronze medallists Meagan Duhamel of Lively, Ont., and Eric Radford of Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 5110/30/2011

Javier Fernandez, now that's a hottie.

Chan fell last year three times in the short program and at least once in the free and won the final. This year he doubled the triple axel and put his hand down on the quad in the short, as well as spent a minute not doing any tricks at all, and stumbled, and then in the long program fell, and still won. He's the biggest fraud in skating. All his jumps are under-rotated. His success is a clear message that the "fix is in" in International Skating.

by Anonymousreply 5210/30/2011

Javier is indeed a handsome lad.

by Anonymousreply 5310/30/2011

The pink people are wearing SNUGGIES!

Javier Fernandez' short program at link from Russian tv.

Poor old queen Peter Carruthers hates the spin they go where they have their butts in the air and spin with their arms down, essentially presenting their holes.

by Anonymousreply 5410/30/2011

Here is Chan's long program. In addition to falling on the quad, he put a hand down on some footwork and botched at least one other jump. His spins traveled, his footwork was sloppy, and he took long cross-court skates doing nothing. Without the commentators hyping and selling his program, it gives a negative impression.

by Anonymousreply 5510/30/2011

Peggy Flemming made crass remarks about Turkish skater Tugba's unshaven crotch during that girl's spiral sequence.

by Anonymousreply 5610/30/2011

I thought it was about her hairy thighs.

by Anonymousreply 5710/30/2011

When is something going to be done about them overmarking Patrick Chan even when he makes mistakes and falls?

Why don't the other skaters and federations do something about it?

by Anonymousreply 5810/30/2011

Maybe SUN TV as a sponsor is not a bad idea, because they both have similar TV audience numbers.

"Chanflation" was in full effect again. Anytime he is in Canada. Kinda makes Skate Canada look hypocritical considering all the fuss they made in 2002.

by Anonymousreply 5910/31/2011

[quote]transnational MATRIARCHAL HEGEMONEY

That's right MHB, watch out! Your nuts are next! *grins*

Now go make me a sandwich, prick!

by Anonymousreply 6010/31/2011

Piper Gilles looks like she is going on 40. What is she doing to herself?

Javier Fernandez was the closest thing to hot in attendance. He is not anywhere near Stephane Lambiel, but the Spanish thing is always good for some bonus points.

by Anonymousreply 6110/31/2011

Javier is being coached by Brian Orser. I wonder if Brian hits on him?

by Anonymousreply 6210/31/2011

Javier Fernandez ought to have won. Judges always seem to favor Chan, especially Canadian judges. Fernandez is a real cutie,and seems like a sweet kid.

I was happy to see Tatiana Voloshur and Maxim Trankov(?)win in the pairs; I've been a fan since last season. Tatiana is beautiful, but Maxim was handsomer before that awful hairstyle.

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir were masterful and deserved to win, but I was rooting for Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje. Poje is really handsome and has a charming quality. I wonder about Poje's height: Some sources say he is 6'3, others say 6'4. I also wonder if Weaver and Poje are involved; they give off a couple vibe in interviews. Poje does have a beautiful bubble butt!

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that Chan was not only worse than Fernandez, but also worse than Takashi, who finished third?

by Anonymousreply 6310/31/2011

Poje looks like he has a flat butt to me.

It is Paul Poirier who has nice ass.

by Anonymousreply 6410/31/2011

Andrew Poje, like David Pelletier is one of the "Skate Canada is a homo free zone" campaigners, so I don't care for him.

Chan was guaranteed to win, all he had to do is show up. Same with every Canadian National Championship since 2008. Skating Medals in Canada are won with off-ice activity factored into the score. The ISU judged this event, but that doesn't mean they are not influenced by the locals.

R62 No skater could be coached by a guy who hits on him. It would destroy the training dynamic.

Ratings for this event were south of the Slicer-Dicer 3000 infomercial. However the Womens event seating was rather full - Haus Fraus dreaming about being young and thin again, but they did show up.

If CTV wasn't required by law to rack up Canadian Content points, it would have never been aired at all.

by Anonymousreply 6510/31/2011

"Andrew Poje, like David Pelletier is one of the "Skate Canada is a homo free zone" campaigners, so I don't care for him."

True. I think he was featured in one of the 'Get Tough on Skating' campaign ads a few years ago talking about how he was straight and liked girls.

by Anonymousreply 6610/31/2011

[quote]If CTV wasn't required by law to rack up Canadian Content points, it would have never been aired at all.

CTV is the official network (along with CTV owned TSN) so they are happy to air all of the domestic Skate Canada competitions they can. They deliver decent ratings and don't cost an arm and a leg to produce. And yes these broadcasts fulfil the Canadian content requirement but that is the least of CTV's concerns.

by Anonymousreply 6710/31/2011

CTV only covers a couple of skating events a year now. Most of the Grand Prix events are covered by the CBC

by Anonymousreply 6811/01/2011

You are wrong R68.

CTV is the [bold]"OFFICIAL BROADCAST NETWORK"[/bold] of Skate Canada. They are also the [bold]"OFFICIAL BROADCAST NETWORK"[/bold] of the Olympic games. They (CTV) have paid money to Skate Canada for the rights to exclusively broadcast competitive figure skating competitions.

If the Skating broadcast isn't on CTV then it's broadcast on TSN. CBC has not been successful in bidding for these rights (they do however have all the curling competitions) so they do not show figure skating any more, other than the thinly veiled homophobic Battle of the Blades. Unless you can provide proof by way of link then you are simply blowing smoke out of your ass with your CBC assertions R68.

by Anonymousreply 6911/01/2011

CTV supported Stephen Harper for PM when he was calling for a vote to take equal rights away from Gay Canadians R69. That beats CBC who chose to leave out the Gay community.

Actively promoting, for Prime Minister, somebody who campaigned on a platform of striping Gays of equal rights - beats creating a show about a world without Gays.

Both CBC and CTV have issues and history is going to demand justice on both accounts. But not today. Today, homophobia wins and wins with the support of certain, Gay men from the figure skating community.

by Anonymousreply 7011/01/2011

Skate Canadas entire current national team is made up of heterosexual "Tough Campaign" supporters.

De-Gaying of figure skating in Canada is JOB DONE!

by Anonymousreply 7111/14/2011

Globe and Mail finally gave Skate Canada's arrogant star skater, Patrick Chan, a beat down, so not everyone in Canada kisses Skate Canada's ass.

Maybe things are finally getting better. Maybe Karma is finally kicking in.

by Anonymousreply 7212/09/2011

the Grand Prix Final is on right now

by Anonymousreply 7312/09/2011

Are Dylan Moscovitch and Bryce Davison a couple?

by Anonymousreply 7412/10/2011

Why would they be, R74?

Bryce is supposedly straight (was involved with his partner Jessica Dube at one time) and I've never heard any gay rumors about him.

And I don't know anything about Dylan, although he is probably straight too. The majority of male pair skaters are, unlike single skaters.

However, Eric Radford is gay if you are interested.

by Anonymousreply 7512/10/2011

Dylan has dabbled. Probably in his period of question some guys get. Not sure about Bryce but he and Dylan sure have chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 7612/11/2011

Dylan Moskovich is famous for convincing other male skaters to skate with him on practices. He himself has said it in interviews ! During the Summer there was a youtube vid that captured Patty cakes and Dylan trying pair moves, for about 10 minutes, then it was taken down when it appear on FSU. However I have seen another version, probably from a smart phone(?), that captures some of that. I think it was some sort of Summer cammp in canada.

by Anonymousreply 7712/11/2011

I miss Bryce and that perfect bubble butt

by Anonymousreply 7812/11/2011

Rockne and Bryce would be a handsome couple

by Anonymousreply 7912/12/2011

Dylan pings

by Anonymousreply 8012/21/2011

Skate Canada just signed the American Company Kosyshack to be a sponsor. These are the people who funded Republican Rick Lazios campaign against Hillary Clinton which he lost. They nearly went bankrupt in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 8102/04/2012

A whole list of right wing Corporations are on board now, Canadian Tire and Nestle.

by Anonymousreply 8201/17/2013

It is funny how people who are gay seem to complain about how they are treated but yet they have no problem with talking about how sexy a straight guy is hmm i see double jeopardy here. If you are gay be gay stop complaining and stop treating others who are no like a piece of meat all gays and straights have rights.... Respect others and they will respect you....

by Anonymousreply 8301/19/2013

WOW!, R83...have you got anger issues.

by Anonymousreply 8404/06/2013

In addition, "double jeopardy" is not the same thing as "double standard", R83. Also, consider using better punctuation.

by Anonymousreply 8504/06/2013

R83 = Elvis Stojko

by Anonymousreply 8604/06/2013

R83 could be any Skate Canada employee today, particularly from the Marketing/PR staff, made up of "Cure the Gays" Jesus freaks, militant PETA vegans and geriatric figure skaters from a bygone era.

by Anonymousreply 8704/07/2013

It disappoints me that Canadian Tire jumped on board.

I didn't think Canadian Tire was a fundie Corporation, I was wrong. They have an anti-gay history too.

by Anonymousreply 8804/07/2013

An Executive, Dan Thompson, from Canadian Tire Corp., just took over Skate Canada.

So.....will Dan Thompson get rid of the current crop of Jesus freaks who run Canadian figure skating (Barb, MacDonald, PJ Kwong and Co.) Will Dan Thompson allow gay athletes back into Canadian figure skating? or will things continue as they have been?

by Anonymousreply 8906/04/2013

Skate Canada also used to promote World Vision.

by Anonymousreply 9003/27/2014

American, Johnny Weirs 2014 Russian Olympics, Documentary is on CANADIAN TV (CBC) 8:00 pm tonight.

The Olympics Canadian gay athletes, were banned from talking about.

What a kick in the rubber parts for Skate Canada.

by Anonymousreply 9106/25/2015

R42 "Skate Canada is government funded"

By a far right wing Government whos leader, PM Stephen Harper, tried to reverse equal marriage only months after he was elected in 2006 and still rules the country.

by Anonymousreply 9206/26/2015

Now that openly gay Eric Radford is a world champion, I would hope that the homophobic crap is on the way out.

by Anonymousreply 9306/27/2015

R93, sorry but Radford had to go to the American news organization OutSports when he came out.

Not only did Skate Canada not support him, the Canadian Media would not help AKA CBC and CTV (Bell Globe Media) only reported the American OutSports story after the fact.

The entire Figure Skating community in Canada is rabidly homophobic - Immigrant Tiger Moms and Evangelical Christians in control. Also, Skate Canada has been heavily promoting Elvis Stojko in the last month, so ... they are going the other way, actually becoming more homophobic. Also, one of the top executives from Canadian Tire, Skate Canada's main sponsor, just left Canadian Tire to become PM Stephen Harpers campaign manager for the national elections in October 2015

Until the anti-gay PM Stephen Harper is kicked out of office, this will continue as the norm in Canadian Figure Skating, dependent on government funding. Unfortunately, if Trudeau and his Liberals get elected, I expect little assistance with this, other than lip service, as Trudeau's top adviser, Gerald Butts, is a hardcore, Master of Theology, Catholic.

So if you are Canadian and care about the toxic culture of homophobia in Canadian figure skating - VOTE NDP in October!

I

by Anonymousreply 9406/27/2015

correction, not Trudeaus adviser Gerald Butts "Master of Theology"

Gerald Butts MASTERS of Theology

McGill University BA, MA, English, Theology 1989 – 1995

by Anonymousreply 9506/27/2015
Need more help? Click Here.