Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

HALLOWEEN questions

I LOVE the movie, but a few things:

1.) Why were none of the girls going to parties that night? Laurie had to babysit, and was a social outcast. Lynda seemed like the most popular of the three, yet she just hung out with some guy.

2.) Who is Devon Graham? Some guy that just stalks girls in a car wearing a mask?

3.) Why didn't Paul come by to see what was up?

4.) How far did the Wallaces and Tommy live? It's daylight after they leave the store, yet it's pitch black by the time they get there. And didn't Laurie live nearby? Why did she have to get picked up when she could have just walked there?

by Anonymousreply 7510/31/2013

As for #4, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it was just a continuity error by the filmmakers.

by Anonymousreply 110/28/2011

[quote]Who is Devon Graham?

I don't know, but the name always seem kind of fake and hilarious to me.

by Anonymousreply 210/28/2011

[quote]Who is Devon Graham?

I think you mean Virginia Graham. She had a talk show on TV back in the 50s and 60s, and was a frequent guest on Merv Griffin. I didn't know that she also stalked hot, teenage girls.

by Anonymousreply 310/28/2011

Jamie Lee Curtis was hot back then, and she still is.

by Anonymousreply 410/28/2011

Night drops like a broken shade in Pasadena...er I mean Haddonfield, Illinois.

by Anonymousreply 510/28/2011

[quote]1.) Why were none of the girls going to parties that night? Laurie had to babysit, and was a social outcast. Lynda seemed like the most popular of the three, yet she just hung out with some guy.

High school girls are always desperate to make money and know they have to babysit on nights adults go out if they want to make any.

by Anonymousreply 610/28/2011

Why did Michael Myers kill his sister?

by Anonymousreply 710/28/2011

[quote]Why did Michael Myers kill his sister?

Because she asked pointless questions about old horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 810/28/2011

Good question, R7. I like to think that it was something more than it being the first time his murderous rage came about and she just happened to be there. There is a reason he killed her I think, and it is very interesting to think about.

I've sometimes wondered if he felt jealous of the boyfriend and took it out on her. I wish the movie had a been more about this alter on, not an answers but perhaps some insinuations or speculations.

by Anonymousreply 910/28/2011

1: Laurie was a nerd so she babysits every friday night. Lynda was dating Bob who is clearly too old to be in high school and wouldn't go to any high school party anyway. Plus Lynda loves cock more than parties. Annie thinks she's too cool for Halloween parties, plus her boyfriend Paul is grounded and can't go out.

2: Devon is probably really pale, that's why they think it's him Oh, and he supposedly drives a station wagon.

3: Again, Paul was grounded - but El-Jerko found a way to sneak out to go drinking with his buddies. Annie was going to pick him up but never made it.

4: It gets dark fast in the fall - especially in cheap horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 1010/28/2011

R9 here, looks like I should've spellchecked before posting!

by Anonymousreply 1110/28/2011

j

by Anonymousreply 1210/29/2011

I don't see how the mask looks anything like William Shatner. And I wouldn't have known that's who it is if I hadn't seen it in a trivia question.

I do think the dude with the plaid shirt and glasses that is fucking P.J. Soles is pretty hot.

And I think it's funny to now know that the little girl Lindsay is played by Kyle Richards from the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 1310/29/2011

I think it's funny that PJ says "totally" about 5 times. I thought it was 80s lingo...

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2011

Why was Laurie hanging out with Annie and Lynda in the first place? What did they have in common? Annie and Lynda seemed to be on the wild side and Laurie seemed bookish and shy - those types don't usually run in the same circle.

by Anonymousreply 1510/29/2011

Do we really think that, had she lived, Annie would have called up the guy Laurie was interested the next day and told him it was a joke? I know it's what Laurie asked her to do, but I can't see Annie going through with it.

by Anonymousreply 1610/29/2011

TOTALLY!

by Anonymousreply 1710/29/2011

I like how it's supposed to be Halloween in IL, but the trees are still green. I realize they probably didn't have much of a budget, but how expensive could it be to shoot in the midwest where it actually looks like fall!

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2011

I wonder if Lynda and Bob would've really ripped Lindsay's clothes off if she had been around.

I know I saw a palm tree in one of the early scenes in the movie, but I love this movie so much I give that a pass.

That scene where Laurie is in her classroom and she looks out the window and sees Michael Myers staring directly at her is one of the scariest scenes ever in a horror movie, IMO. No blood and gore necessary.

by Anonymousreply 1910/29/2011

[quote]Why was Laurie hanging out with Annie and Lynda in the first place? What did they have in common? Annie and Lynda seemed to be on the wild side and Laurie seemed bookish and shy - those types don't usually run in the same circle.

Honey, they probably grew up together.

by Anonymousreply 2010/29/2011

Haddonfield is totally the starting place for worldwide trends, not NY or Paris or London.

by Anonymousreply 2110/29/2011

I grew up in a small farm town in Il, much like Haddonfield and the movie, for the most part, does a good job of recreating a town like that, (well besides the occasional palm tree and the leaves not turning color..) and the relationships. Yes, darkness fall quickly in late October (not that quickly) and the people you grew up with, no matter how different or where you go in life, are you friends forever and like family..even if they annoy the crap out of you (i.e. like family.)as you spend time with these people from almost cradle to HS graduation.

Though when Laurie is running from Michael, and goes to the neighbors house, there is no way those people wouldnt have let her in or come out to see what was up.

The big question is, how did Rob Zombie fuck up a remake of the classic and how did a second one get made?? MM is scary in the original in that you never see him as a real person, no he was fat red headed hillbilly takes the scare away.

by Anonymousreply 2210/29/2011

[quote]I do think the dude with the plaid shirt and glasses that is fucking P.J. Soles is pretty hot.

I watched the reunion special on Bio last night and that guy aged very very nicely. Looked well built in the shoulders/chest area and at least 15-20 years younger than he probably is.

P.J. got chunky but still has a somewhat youthful face.

Annie completely shriveled up. Her neck looked like a pussy.

Yep. Kyle was on there too along with Erin Moran's brother, who played MM in the scene where Jamie pulled his mask off.

by Anonymousreply 2310/29/2011

Why didn't P.J. Soles have a bigger career? I know Nancy said on one of the documentaries that she withdrew from the limelight because of some issues she was having with a crazy fan.

But P.J. did a few high profile films, and was even married to Dennis Quaid.

by Anonymousreply 2410/29/2011

R24 - Dennis was originally going to play Bob but couldn't due to scheduling - I'm guessing this is when he was shooting "Gorp".

R18 - it is expensive to shoot on location. And it's REALLY expensive in 1978 when shot in Panaglide/Panavision.

by Anonymousreply 2510/29/2011

I think that P.J. Soles should've had a bigger career, too, R24. She is very likable. Sucks that a stalker may have shortchanged her career.

by Anonymousreply 2610/29/2011

The movie was not only shot in California, but in the spring(of 1978).

by Anonymousreply 2710/29/2011

Haddonfield is really in New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 2810/29/2011

[quote] ) Why were none of the girls going to parties that night?

Halloween was not a big holiday for teens in 1978. It was a holiday for kids and gay men. Halloween parties for teens didn't really take hold until later years, when parents started looking the other way at their underage kids' drinking.

by Anonymousreply 2910/29/2011

Devon Graham pings, bigtime.

by Anonymousreply 3010/30/2011

Laurie lived because she had morals.

by Anonymousreply 3110/30/2011

"I think it's funny that PJ says "totally" about 5 times. I thought it was 80s lingo..."

I was doing that shit in 1977, way before Frank and Moon Unit. They really talked that way, bitches. At least in the Valley and Pasadena.

by Anonymousreply 3210/30/2011

Halloween, Halloween II, Halloween: 20 Years Later.....End of franchise!!!

by Anonymousreply 3310/30/2011

I hate that she runs into the closet when Michael appears after she thinks she's killed him. It's like Melanie Daniels going upstairs. You keep asking WHY?

by Anonymousreply 3410/30/2011

Always hit them extra times when they're down, even when you think they are dead. That's what movies have taught me.

by Anonymousreply 3510/30/2011

R34 It's also like Bai Ling going on the roof. Bitch get down!!!

by Anonymousreply 3610/30/2011

All time scariest post-Psycho "killer on the loose" movie, by far. John Carpenter's score alone is spinetingling.

by Anonymousreply 3710/31/2011

I'm glad a previous poster mentioned the Biography program about the original Halloween. I caught it yesterday and thought it was very interesting.

Most people featured in it agree that when they decided to make sequels and had to contrive the idea that Michael Myers is related to the Jamie Lee Curtis character, it did damage to the legacy.

Jamie Lee said she would only make H20 if they let her end the story by ultimately stopping Michael (chopping off his head). But she said it was in the contract that Michael could never actually be dead dead.

Anyway, I do kind of enjoy the ongoing saga of the series, but the original film completely stands alone.

by Anonymousreply 3810/31/2011

When Laurie was trying to get away from Michael in the house where he killed Annie and PJ, she runs into the kitchen, closes the door behind her and locks it. What kind of house has a door to the kitchen and one that locks? What does one do in a kitchen that requires locking it from others in the house?

by Anonymousreply 3910/31/2011

Don't ask, r39.

by Anonymousreply 4010/31/2011

The movie is based on the Babysitter story, the girls are neighbors who have to take care of kids or a bf.

by Anonymousreply 4110/31/2011

Cheryl is right, that is the annoying thing about all the horror movies: the sluttery payback angle.

by Anonymousreply 4210/31/2011

r22, the neighbors who turned on/off the porch light ignored Laurie because it was Halloween night, and they assumed she was pulling an adolescent prank. If she had done the same thing 10/30 or 11/1, they would have gone to the door and asked her what was going on. Carpenter was just feeding into the whole paranoia. Better not let the boogeyman get you on Halloween, because no one is going to help.

by Anonymousreply 4311/01/2011

Halloween = creepy with supernatural vibe

Halloween II = slasher flick with decent plot

by Anonymousreply 4411/15/2011

"1.) Why were none of the girls going to parties that night? Laurie had to babysit, and was a social outcast. Lynda seemed like the most popular of the three, yet she just hung out with some guy. "

Up until relatively recently, Halloween was considered a children's holiday.

Once you turned 12, the fun was over.

by Anonymousreply 4511/15/2011

[quote]I was doing that shit in 1977, way before Frank and Moon Unit.

OMG, r32 is so cool! Totally the coolest on the whole board! I can't believe I know sort-of totally know the person who started something big!

by Anonymousreply 4611/15/2011

My math teacher was even more groadie than Moon Unit's!

by Anonymousreply 4711/15/2011

By the way, In Halloween II (the original), why is the hospital so badly staffed and lighted? Why is there only one doctor. A drunk one, at that? Why is there only one security guard? Why are none of the slutty and/or stupid nurses wondering why Laurie was attacked and if the attacker would follow her to the hospital? Why did Jamie Lee have such an shitty, cheap-ass wig? Couldn't they afford any better? The first movie made $75 million dollars! Why? Why? WHY??!!

by Anonymousreply 4811/15/2011

[quote] By the way, In Halloween II (the original), why is the hospital so badly staffed and lighted? Why is there only one doctor. A drunk one, at that? Why is there only one security guard?

I haven't seen this film but I was a student nurse in a psych hospital in the 1970s/early 80s and my mom was a nurse's aide. There were no doctors on the premises at night. Zero. There were no security guards at night. There were male nursing assistants. In our particular hospital, they did not yet have male nurses. .

In the 1990s, there were enormous cutbacks in staffing as they were beginning to close down the state hospital system. Any job that someone left was not restaffed. No new jobs were created. People with seniority were busted down several levels to cut their salary and ultimately their pensions. Buildings began to close, elderly patients were turfed to nursing homes and offsite "halfway houses" were started. In real life, things were pretty shitty in psych hospitals.

by Anonymousreply 4910/24/2012

My question was, "WTF is going on with the parents? Where the hell are they going in Haddenfield on Halloween all night long in 1978, a wife swapping orgy?"

How come Tommy and Lindsey don't get to go out trick or treating? Why are they making a jack o lantern AFTER all the trick or treating is finished? Why don't they put the jack o lantern outside on the porch, since Tommy's parents didn't have one out there? How come you see trick or treaters running around on the streets, but none of them go to Lindsey or Tommy's house looking for candy?

Who had their washer and dryer in a shed?

by Anonymousreply 5010/24/2012

I dont remember reading the credit where it said that John Carpenter wrote the title song. I remembered seeing "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult as a soundtrack credit at the film's end. For years, I thought the Halloween theme was called Don't Fear the Reaper and it was by Blue Oyster Cult. I think the SNL sketch with more cowbell was the first time I realized it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 5110/24/2012

I don't think #4 is a problem. They were smoking dope so maybe they stopped at one point on the side of the road to smoke some more. Also, it wasn't daylight when they were at the store. It was almost dusk. When they drove to the house the sun was causing lens flares, so it was at the horizon. So it takes just a few minutes for it to get dark.

"How come Tommy and Lindsey don't get to go out trick or treating?"

That's because they decided to watch the movies instead.

For me my question is the movies they watch. Most movies last 90 minutes and they seem to watch a lot of films on TV in a very short span of time.

by Anonymousreply 5210/24/2012

The nurse at the beginning of the film was dressed like a 1950s nurse from an Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode.

I remember that in real life back in 1963 and 1978, like in the movie, jack o lanterns and were pretty much the only Halloween decorations we had. And cardboard pumpkins we taped to the windows. I actually am old enough to remember everyone putting their jack o lanterns on top of their milk boxes. I remember looking down my block and being impressed with how cool it looked with flickering jack o lanterns on all the porches (which we called stoops).

Now there are fake pumpkins, orange icicle lights, fog machines, inflatables, crappy looking white "spider webs" hanging on trees and bushes, sound effect machines, animated ground zombies, candy corn lights. It's not as spooky as it was back when everything was dark except for the jack o lanterns.

by Anonymousreply 5310/24/2012

PJ Soles didn't have a stalker, the blond girl from Friday the 13th had a stalker that derailed her career.

by Anonymousreply 5410/24/2012

[quote] For me my question is the movies they watch. Most movies last 90 minutes and they seem to watch a lot of films on TV in a very short span of time.

That's why it seemed like all the parents were out so late. It should have been 1 am and they still weren't home yet. Bob and Linda seemed pretty confident the Wallaces weren't going to walk in on them lounging in bed and ask WTF was going on.

And there were small, modest working class houses across the street from expensive (in those days) upper middle class homes.

by Anonymousreply 5510/24/2012

If Michael Meyers hadn't spoken for 15 years, how could the; psychiatrist be so sure he was evil incarnate? Normal shrinks wouldn't have been so spooked out by catatonia.

by Anonymousreply 5610/24/2012

[quote]the blond girl from Friday the 13th had a stalker that derailed her career

Amy Steel?

by Anonymousreply 5710/24/2012

Who wanted tne keys to the Meyers house and why? Obviously Laurie's father is a realtor. Who would want that wreck of a place?

by Anonymousreply 5810/24/2012

[quote] Annie completely shriveled up. Her neck looked like a pussy.

I'm not surprised. She looked like she was 45 years old in the film. She looked like Howard Stern.

by Anonymousreply 5910/24/2012

Jamie Lee Curtis was the perfect Laurie Strode. Donald Pleasance was great too (plus he was a sexy bear). Halloween was awesome!

by Anonymousreply 6010/27/2013

I seem to remember a severed head rolling out onto the disco dance floor in Halloween. It had been decades since I had seen it and when I watched it a few nights ago that scene was missing. I swear I remember the head on the dance floor. They cut out the entire high school dance scene. I am confused.

by Anonymousreply 6110/27/2013

R7

Because he HAD THE BLACKEST EYES!!!! THE DEVIL'S EYES!!!

by Anonymousreply 6210/27/2013

R61 - You're confusing 1978's "Halloween" with 1980's "Prom Night." The far inferior "Prom Night" (also starring Jamie Lee Curtis) was the one with the head on the dance floor.

by Anonymousreply 6310/27/2013

R29. Nails it.

A lot of younger people have no CLUE how infantalized they are compared to previous generations.

by Anonymousreply 6410/27/2013

R61.

Well technically it wasn't actually ON the dance floor but rather on the elevated runway that was meant to introduce the Prom King and Queen.

I just watched the movie last night so it's still fresh.

Now,Now!

by Anonymousreply 6510/27/2013

Re the question about the lights in the hospital in H2: There is a scene cut from the final print where Michael cuts the electric lines. The hospital is on emergency power after that.

by Anonymousreply 6610/27/2013

I love [R40]

by Anonymousreply 6710/27/2013

Halloween was less of a big thing for people over the age of 12 in 1977. It's not that there weren't Halloween parties for older teenagers, but it wasn't quite as big a thing for people as it is now. It only became a big thing for older people in the last 20-25 years or so--before that it was seen as a children's holiday.

by Anonymousreply 6810/28/2013

You all are making me want to pop this one into the ol' DVD player.

by Anonymousreply 6910/28/2013

(I wonder if Lynda and Bob would've really ripped Lindsay's clothes off if she had been around.)

That was a flub. He was supposed to say, "...then we rip Annie's clothes off." Lindsay was the little girl.

by Anonymousreply 7010/29/2013

There are more goofs than the ones mentioned.

1. In real life, Illinois is pitch black by the time Annie picks up Laurie in the car. Was it supposed to be 6 pm?

2. Yes, Tommy does live very close to Laurie; they walk part of the way to cool together.

3 When they cross the street, a palm tree is visible in the background.

4. John Carpenter's cigarette smoke is visible in the scene when Annie says,"Scared another one away" sarcastically to Laurie.

5. Laurie and Lynda each know the phone numbers of the people across the street by heart, even though they aren't even babysitting the respective children across the street. Lynda doesn't even bother to look down to dial the phone when she calls Laurie before getting strangled. She knows Tommy's parents' phone number by heart and without looking.

6. There are dead leaves all over the ground yet Carpenter goes out of his way (particularly in the opening shot) to pan up to the branches in the trees that are completely full of green leaves. On purpose.

by Anonymousreply 7110/29/2013

I saw this the other night and rembered how when I was a kid I thought Bob, PJ Soles' boyfriend, was really cute.

Saw the info about him here and did some digging...he's still cute! And judging from the fact he wrote a campy play with drag queens, I think he's the gay!

by Anonymousreply 7210/29/2013

Yes, R72, John Michael Graham is SOOO HOT and I would love for him to be gay, or at least bi, so that I could put the moves on him next time he does one of those autograph conventions (ha. hahahahaha), but I read on a Halloween message board that he at one point "moved his family" to Maui after living in Florida for several years and now divides his time between FL and CA. I took that to mean... wife & kids. What a bummer.

But I agree, the drag queen production sounds pretty gay. He even looks kind of gay now, but still totally, totally hot.

by Anonymousreply 7310/31/2013

Could someone start a new thread about the Friday the 13th movies,those supposedly had plenty of gay guys in them.

by Anonymousreply 7410/31/2013

Can someone please explain again how Halloween was really considered a holiday mostly for children in 1977? I think the same explanation 3 or 4 times really isn't enough. TIA!

by Anonymousreply 7510/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.