Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Partridge Family

Watching the reruns on Antennae TV, I have to say that their songs aren't half bad.

And the show is cute.

by Anonymousreply 8201/18/2014

I'll meet you halfway.

by Anonymousreply 110/23/2011

I gave myself my first self-facial (and was it messy) over David. Got I was hot for him

by Anonymousreply 210/23/2011

I LOVE Point Me In The Direction Of Albuquerque. Plus the show was funny - Mr. Kinkaid and Danny, good times.

by Anonymousreply 310/23/2011

If you like pop (and I do) they have a lot of good music.

by Anonymousreply 410/23/2011

Wasn't David Cassidy supposed to monstrously hung

by Anonymousreply 510/23/2011

I can't stand Danny Bonaduce as a kid or as an adult.

Or that idiot Reuben.

by Anonymousreply 610/23/2011

Come on get happy!

by Anonymousreply 710/23/2011

"Wasn't David Cassidy supposed to monstrously hung?"

A groupie who fucked him described him as being "long but slender."

And yes, several of their songs were quite nice little pop tunes.

by Anonymousreply 810/23/2011

My first crush when I was 4.

by Anonymousreply 910/23/2011

Funny, OP. I just bought an antenna the other day & caught the Partridge Family today on AntennaTV. First time I'd ever seen it. There was a close up of David's nipples. It's a cute show.

They also show Gidget & The Flying Nun. Gidget is truly horrifying. Within the two episodes I've seen, Gidget is bent over a couch & spanked by her brother-in-law. In the next episode, the final lesson is how women should depend on men for their survival, because they can't really do anything for themselves, nor should they try. I couldn't believe this was real!

by Anonymousreply 1010/23/2011

Their music even melts the hearts of NOW man haters.

by Anonymousreply 1110/23/2011

I think they suck. Well, they were good for the first year, but after that, they sucked.

by Anonymousreply 1310/23/2011

Loved the show and can still sing many of their songs.

A couple of years ago, we had a thread asking for the oldest tv series where every major cast member was still alive, and I believe The Partridge Family was the winner.

by Anonymousreply 1410/23/2011

R13 is a classic of example of a DL post that you think will make you think 'what an ass-hole' and then you smile when you see the author.

by Anonymousreply 1510/23/2011

I always enjoyed Suzanne Crough's Tamborine-Slapping style!!!

by Anonymousreply 1610/23/2011

[quote]Wasn't David Cassidy supposed to monstrously hung

No, but Susan Dey was.

by Anonymousreply 1710/23/2011

I have all three seasons on DVD. I watched the show as reruns when I was a kid and loved it. Good times!

by Anonymousreply 1810/23/2011

Were the songs written for the show? They're pretty good and I can still hum "I Think I Love You". Certainly, much, much better than the piling steam of shit that's "Glee".

by Anonymousreply 1910/23/2011

It was pretty witty too. Shirley looked good. She was so mod.

by Anonymousreply 2010/23/2011

David Cassidy was smoking hot; he just lit up the screen.

by Anonymousreply 2110/24/2011

We had a dream, we'd go travelin' together, We'd spread a little lovin' then we'd keep movin' on. Somethin' always happens whenever we're together We get a happy feelin' when we're singing a song...

by Anonymousreply 2210/24/2011

I don't think I could watch it now. The clothing would date it terribly. For some reason the fifties, early sixties sitcoms hold up better for me.

by Anonymousreply 2310/24/2011

R18 - there were FOUR seasons....

by Anonymousreply 2410/24/2011

I liked their songs, but I remember my mother brought home the Partridge Family lp when we had asked for the Jackson Five's and I was very disappointed at the time. Here's a good Partridge song:

by Anonymousreply 2510/24/2011

And this one too:

by Anonymousreply 2610/24/2011

by Anonymousreply 2710/24/2011

Some of the best Brill Building songwriters contributed to this show, so it makes sense that the songs were above average.

by Anonymousreply 2810/24/2011

I can feel your heartbeat.

And you didn't even say a word.

I can feel your heartbeat.

And you didn't even say a word.

Oh I know pretty woman that your love can be heard.

by Anonymousreply 2910/24/2011

Shirley Jones is LEGENDARY among old Hollywood royalty types (she was a successful movie actress in the musicals of the 50's and 60's pre-Partridge Family) for her apple pie, which her crazy husband Marty Ingels calls, "Shirley Jones Road-Apple Pie."

It's amazing they are still married and I think Shirley was quoted in People magazine when they first got married something like, "I just hope I'm not anti-semetic after all this!"

Ingels has had a NUMBER of weirdo legal problems over the years but this is the best:

In 1993, Ingels publicly charged actress June Allyson with not paying his large agency commission for obtaining her a job as spokesperson for Depend adult incontinence products. Allyson denied owing any money and in August 1993, she and husband David Ashrow filed a lawsuit against Ingels for slander and emotional distress. The suit said Ingels had harassed and threatened them, including 138 phone calls during a single eight-hour period. In February of that year, Ingels had pleaded no contest to making annoying phone calls

by Anonymousreply 3010/24/2011

The real band that played those songs was called "Love". They made one Lp before the Partridge Family that is now a collectors item. At first they didn't know if David Cassidy could sing and the first Partridge Family album had already been recorded. They dubbed in his voice right before the LP was issued. For the first few albums they had him sing the songs slow and then sped up the tapes to make his voice sound younger. Shirley Jones sometimes sang on the recordings used on the TV show but almost never on the actual records.

by Anonymousreply 3110/24/2011

R30, I thought Shirley and Marty had broken up years ago. I remember hearing she filed for divorce. But apparently they did stay together. According to IMDB, she had said she didn't want to throw away 27 years. That's why she withdrew the divorce petition.

by Anonymousreply 3210/24/2011

Both David and Danny did memoirs, which were made into TV movies...and yes I watched both. One thing I noted is that Shirley comes off very well in both. She was married to David's father, and it's implied that David and Shirley got along better than he did with his father; she supported and encouraged his career. According to Bonaduce, it was Shirley who quietly helped him get out of an abusive home situation during the run of the series, and even took him home to stay with her family on the weekends.

by Anonymousreply 3310/24/2011

r13 I really dug them. The Partridges were groovy. The first season kinda sucked, but the last three were way cool. Far, far superior to the first year.

It was adding Ricky Segall that ultimately killed the show, just like Cousin Oliver killed the Bradys.

by Anonymousreply 3410/24/2011

David could sing.

Good harmonies, catchy beats.

by Anonymousreply 3510/24/2011

David recorded all of the material with studio session singers, but Shirley was rarely on the records. Contractually, she had to be on everything, but they rarely mixed her in the final master that was released.

by Anonymousreply 3610/24/2011

That show makes me nostalgic for the USA in the pre-Reagan era. Part of it could be just childhood nostalgia. I know things weren't perfect then. But people were more civil, we didn't have a fear-based culture, and there wasn't this weird knee-jerk antigovernment sentiment. Even pop culture could be more subtle and edgy because the rightwing hadn't dumbed everything down yet.

by Anonymousreply 3710/24/2011

They had the episode where the artist paints a mural on their garage door and causes a neighborhood uproar on yesterday. A very young and pretty Meredith Baxter played a vagabond hippie in one ep. I like "Rollercoaster" - fun song. "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" copied some of their nightclub lipsynch appearances.

by Anonymousreply 3810/24/2011

David Cassidy was one of the biggest teen idols in history. And he hated it! He disliked being on the show because frequently his character was made out to be a buffoon (Danny was the precociously smart one). One of the shows had the whole family dressed up in chicken suits for some commercial they were doing which he considered humiliating and stupid. He wanted to be taken seriously as a rock star, like Jimi Hendrix or Mick Jagger. It never happened. He thought being on the cover of the Rolling Stone naked would make people see him as a sex symbol, a MAN, not a teenage boy. But it backfired like crazy, upsetting his fan base and making a laughingstock out of him. He probably deserved it. Cassidy always had the idea that he was more than what he was.

by Anonymousreply 3910/24/2011

Wait, r31--Love? There was already a band by that name, and they were NOTHING like the PF in sound. Maybe you're confusing them?

by Anonymousreply 4010/24/2011

Sound Magazine us a great pop album & was their most critically claimed...

The first side(first 6 tracks) of "Up to Date" their second album is some really good pop. It even reached #3 on the charts.

by Anonymousreply 4110/24/2011

I might very well have confused the name of the band, it's been a long time since I read that article.

by Anonymousreply 4210/24/2011

Something always happens whenever we're together.

Spread a lot of loving and we keep moving on.

by Anonymousreply 4310/24/2011

If you pay attention there is ample evidence over the course of the 4 seasons, in the form of vpl, that David Cassidy is quite well hung.

by Anonymousreply 4410/24/2011

This show was a little before my time. But my cousin gave me a bunch of records and "Sound Magazine" by the Partridge Family was one of them.

I listened to "Summer Days" over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 4510/24/2011

Cassidy toured nonstop when he wasn't working on the show. He did this over the 4 years the show ran. He was physically and mentally exhausted because he had no free time.

by Anonymousreply 4610/24/2011

Why did they travel in a school bus? 5 people, so that would be the driver plus 4 people. Those bus benches sat 2 on each, so the first row was full and the rest was empty?

by Anonymousreply 4710/24/2011

Loved Summer Days! And David Cassidy was my first crush when I was 8 years old.

by Anonymousreply 4810/24/2011

My 7 year old daughter names Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, the Beatles and the Partridge Family as her favorite music.

by Anonymousreply 4910/26/2011

[quote]Why did they travel in a school bus? 5 people, so that would be the driver plus 4 people. Those bus benches sat 2 on each, so the first row was full and the rest was empty?

Plus all their equipment and instruments and luggage.

by Anonymousreply 5010/26/2011

[quote]"We had a dream, we'd go travelin' together..."

All my life I've heard it as "shopping together..."

by Anonymousreply 5110/26/2011

The family that inspired the Partridge Family concept was the Cowsills. They were very talented and were originally going to play themselves, but the producers wanted Shirley Jones to play the mother, not the actual mother (Barbara Cowsill). Because of that, the Cowsill children declined the offer.

by Anonymousreply 5210/26/2011

I love when Shirley goes

Ba la la la la la la

The leaves of life are falling 'round you girl

by Anonymousreply 5307/24/2012

David Cassidy's son -

by Anonymousreply 5407/24/2012

I liked it when Danny got a hard on and spent the episode hiding behind his algebra book.

by Anonymousreply 5507/24/2012

Well at least we know that David didn't shave his pubes.

by Anonymousreply 5607/24/2012

[quote]Because of that, the Cowsill children declined the offer.

Not because it seems the majority of them had a gap between their two front teeth you could drive a semi through?

by Anonymousreply 5707/24/2012

R56, so true! I loved that picture. So hot!!!

by Anonymousreply 5807/24/2012

R54 he sounds like David (in the beginning at least)! But he needs serious vocal training.

I bet if he sang a Partridge Family song he'd be dead-on.

by Anonymousreply 5907/24/2012

R31 can't mean Arthur Lee's Love...

by Anonymousreply 6007/24/2012

Well, R57, and also the fact that Mom Cowsill was, how would you say, "not camera friendly."

by Anonymousreply 6107/24/2012

Which Chris was hotter?

Ruben's first name was originally Chester but they had to change it for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 6207/24/2012

Let's face it: the Cowsills were NOT an attractive bunch. For tv, you need cuteness. So there was Shirley Jones (blonde and beautiful), David Cassidy (so cute he was pretty), and Susan Dey (a teen model). The two youngest children were attractive in an ordinary little kid type way. I noticed they got rid of the bulgy-eyed Jerermy Gelbwaks after the first season; in addition to being googly-eyed, he was alsom rumored to be quite a pill. Danny Bonaduce stuck out like a sore thumb with his fire-engine red hair and doughy face, but that was all part of his comedic charm.

The last season featured what the producers must have thought was an irresistably cute kid singer by the name of Ricky Segall. He was unbearable. Nobody cared much about the show after that; it was aired opposite "All In The Family" and that was it for the Partridge Family.

by Anonymousreply 6307/24/2012

The Cowsill mom looks a bit like Lindsay/Dina Lohan.

by Anonymousreply 6407/24/2012

Did you know it was originally called the Tridepar Family, after Alton Tridgepar.

Then Shirley noticed it was an anagram of Partridge so they changed it.

Also Shirley despite being a so called movie star, was too dumb to learn her lines, so they had to change the name

It went from Agnes Tridgepar to Agnes Partridge to Shirley Partridge.

Shirley demanded that she be the lead singer in every song. That was until the contract was signed then the producers told her basically "Go to hell, we got a your step son."

David Cassidy was supposed to lipsync all his songs but threw a hissy fit that he was too talented to do that.

Then Shirley put her own job on the line to get him the ability to sing his own songs.

Then Cassidy spent the next four years threatening to quit as the songs he had to sing were not up to his standards.

So the guy bitches about not being able to sing, then the bitches about having to.

by Anonymousreply 6507/24/2012

The two older Cowsill boys may not have been picture perfect but the two younger ones were very cute - much cuter IMO than Danny Bonaduce.

They were the two who got the most press in the teen mags, but they all regularly had their pictures plastered over the teen mags of the day. They also had a cute younger sister.

They couldn't have been worse actors than flat-voiced Susan Dey and the totally expressionless two younger kids (who may as well have been dubbed) who were cast.

by Anonymousreply 6607/24/2012

I enjoyed the running bit where every time Reuben was about to get laid, the kids showed up at his apartment and cock blocked him.

by Anonymousreply 6707/24/2012

NOtice the HUGE bulge in David's tight pants!

by Anonymousreply 6807/24/2012

Susan Dey was gorgeous back then.

by Anonymousreply 6907/24/2012

I miss Susan Dey onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 7007/24/2012

[quote]They had the episode where the artist paints a mural on their garage door and causes a neighborhood uproar on yesterday.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the artist played by Arte Johnson from "Laugh-In"?

by Anonymousreply 7107/24/2012

TPF had quite a list of guest stars:

Harry Morgan

Farrah Fawcett

Ray Bolger

Rosemary DeCamp

Jaclyn Smith

Morey Amsterdam

Jackie Coogan

William Schallert

Mark Hamill

Richard Mulligan

Richard Pryor

Louis Gossett, Jr.

Annette O'Toole

Michael Ontkean

Bobby Sherman

Kay Medford

Rob Reiner

>Norman Fell

Ann Guilbert

Howard Cosell

Bert Convy

Vic Tayback

Meredith Baxter

Arte Johnson

Charlotte Rae

Anthony Geary

Nancy Walker

Mary Ann Mobley

Johnny Bench

Jodie Foster

William Windom

John Astin

Margaret Hamilton

Cheryl Ladd

Maureen Reagan

George Chakaris

by Anonymousreply 7207/24/2012

Jodie was on TPF? She must have been a young 'un.

by Anonymousreply 7307/24/2012

I remember Jodie's character liking Danny.

by Anonymousreply 7407/24/2012

Years and years ago I worked for a man, a producer, who started out as an entertainment attorney. One of his first jobs was working for the team that produced the Partridge Family and he told me the REAL reason why Chris #1 was let go. It wasnt because of what Danny B claimed, that the kid was a monster and terror on the set. It was because his mom was the classic stage mother from Hell. She made life miserable for everyone connected to the production, pestering the producers, the directors and writers trying to get more lines and more screen time for her kid. When she was informed that state law restricted how many hours her kid could work and thus limit his screen time, her reply was, "dont worry, I wont tell anyone." As the first season filming was wrapping up, the producers were pretty confident the show would be renewed, but there was no official announcement yet to that regard. Then stage mom from Hell informed the producers that her husband had been offered a job in another state and they needed to know RIGHT AWAY if the show was going to be picked up. Sensing that she was setting up a squeeze play, and eager to be rid of her, they told her it wasn't likely and her husband should take the job. They quickly drew up the papers to release him from his contract and to everyone ones relief, Chris #1 and his meddlesome mother were gone.

by Anonymousreply 7507/25/2012

I woke up in uncut this morning

Went to bed with Jews on my mind.

by Anonymousreply 7601/29/2013

[quote] I noticed they got rid of the bulgy-eyed Jerermy Gelbwaks after the first season; in addition to being googly-eyed, he was alsom rumored to be quite a pill.

Well the official story is his father, a government employee, was transferred out of LA after the 1st season. And I think Jeremy was a cute kid, cuter than his bland replacement. Maybe you're confusing him with the kid who played DJ in the pilot of Roseanne. They dumped him because they thought he was too bratty, he and Sara Gilbert fought constantly.

by Anonymousreply 7701/29/2013

Until I saw it again, I had forgotten how Keith was perpetually exasperated.

by Anonymousreply 7801/29/2013

Shirley Jones said David was a zombie the last couple years. Supposedly because a girl had died at one of his concerts.

They should have just called it "Danny", about a precocious little ginger who plays in a band with his family.

The kids couldn't be bothered with learning the lyrics, or faking playing instruments.

by Anonymousreply 7901/17/2014

It's a little known fact that the expression "eating crow" became popular because I was such a trashy l'il whore who would give up my muff to anyone.

Even Danny.

by Anonymousreply 8001/18/2014

Thanks r52 for bring up The Cowsills. The memories!

I knew The Partridge Family was loosely based on them but I'm skeptical that Screen Gems ever seriously considered casting the whole family as themselves. That might have worked for a variety show of the era but not for a sitcom. Wrong mix of ages and appeal for the comic premise of the show. I suspect the mom being cut out being the reason the rest didn't do the show is a face-saving gesture to gloss over other issues.

And thanks twice r52. I googled The Cowsills to refresh my memory I found there's a documentary on them on Showtime Showcase that's running until the end of the month.

I'll be enjoying watching it on my sub zero stay home Wed.

by Anonymousreply 8101/18/2014

Chris and Tracy were so unimportant, the actors who played them couldn't even get air time on a Partridge Family "Reunion" on Arsenio Hall.

by Anonymousreply 8201/18/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!