Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Barbra Streisand and Sue Mengers

When you actually think about it, Sue was a terrible agent for Barbra. For Pete's Sake, All Night Long, The Main Event, A Star is Born, Funny Lady... none of them remembered today.

by Anonymousreply 3904/26/2013

And Babs fell out with Sue because Sue didn't want her to make Yentl, which turned out to be one of Babs' best pics.

by Anonymousreply 110/18/2011

Loved What's Up Doc? And The Main Event. ! She was the Kate Hudson of her day.

by Anonymousreply 210/18/2011

Nobody tells Babs what movies she wants to do. They were all her own decision.

by Anonymousreply 310/18/2011

No, that's not exactly right R1. Barbra had been wanting to make Yentl since the late 1960s, so do you think they'd still be friends in 1981 by the time All Night Long came along?

Though All Night Long isn't critically acclaimed, it's about the only Streisand movie that isn't Barbra being, well, Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 410/18/2011

R1: Yentl was a ludicrous vanity production for which Barbra was decades too old and too vain to even try to look like the part.

by Anonymousreply 510/18/2011

I'm sorry, what?

by Anonymousreply 610/18/2011

Yentl has been on my worst movies list since I first saw it as a teen. Shit just doesn't do it justice.

by Anonymousreply 710/18/2011

Babs in any drama movie is so off-putting to me...she's a Broadway belter, sing it sister!

by Anonymousreply 810/18/2011

Good point, OP. Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere. Streisand really wasted her prime years in film.

by Anonymousreply 910/18/2011

Yentl was also only made because Streisand starred in it. Even if she had wanted to cast someone else, no one would have bankrolled the film.

by Anonymousreply 1010/18/2011

"Nobody tells Babs what movies she wants to do. They were all her own decision."

I think that's very true. Barbra Streisand: Phenomenal talent, terrible taste (which became more apparent as she became more powerful with the passing years and completely stopped taking guidance and advice from others), and, apparently, extremely difficult and incredibly egotistical.

by Anonymousreply 1110/18/2011

Yentl is a very silly story.

I don't care what anyone else says, any awards: It is Jewish kitsch.

by Anonymousreply 1210/18/2011

If anyone had any questions about Barbra's bad taste, they were dispelled for good during the closing credits of A Star is Born:

"Miss Streisand's wardrobe . . . from her own closet."

by Anonymousreply 1310/18/2011

What was Babs supposed to play back then - Princess Leia in "Star Wars"?

by Anonymousreply 1410/18/2011

Mama Rose

by Anonymousreply 1510/18/2011

Barbra was also offered Klute and Cabaret. She turned down both. Don't know if her agent/management were involved in those decisions.

by Anonymousreply 1610/18/2011

Well, I love her clothes in "A Star is Born," r13. It's not easy to do bohemian right, and I think Babs did it *just* right, giving Stevie and Christine a run for their money.

And the other films you mention may be forgotten, but "A Star is Born" is not and never will be. It was an enormous hit, had some great songs (and some crappy songs) in it, and straight women and gay men of a certain age will never forget Kristofferson's half-naked performance. It's so bad it's good; what's not to love?

by Anonymousreply 1710/18/2011

Barbra in this month's issue of Elle:

“I don’t get a lot of offers to either direct or act. I’m still a kind of threatening object. I was offered They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?, but you had to dance through the whole movie—I got tired just reading the script. I was offered Klute, but I was seeing someone at the time and didn’t want to work. I was offered Julia, but I was editing A Star Is Born. As I say to Jane Fonda, ‘I’m responsible for your career.’ Because I turned down those movies and she got them and she was wonderful in them. Now people want me for a specific role.”

by Anonymousreply 1810/18/2011

Barbra decides what to do or not do. It's been that way from the start of her career. She always exercised full creative control of her choices.

by Anonymousreply 1910/18/2011

I thought Sue Mengers was a shitty agent for Streisand at the time -- forget about them being "remembered today." With the exception of What's Up Doc, they all sucked.

I thought it was because they were personal friends that she kept her as agent.

by Anonymousreply 2010/18/2011

Having a Jew play the lead in Cabaret and Julia would have changed the whole story.

And Klute? And I know she did it in Nuts, but Barbra is more believable as a teenage boy than a woman men would pay to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2110/18/2011

r21, Lillian Hellman (Fonda's character in Julia) was Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 2210/18/2011

You should see "The Owl and the Pussycat" R21.

by Anonymousreply 2310/18/2011

[quote]Having a Jew play the lead in Cabaret and Julia would have changed the whole story.

This if officially the dumbest thing ever posted in the history of Datalounge.

Even dumber that "Why are straight me so stupid?" and "Mah cooter is itchin' real bad!"

by Anonymousreply 2410/18/2011

R22: I stand corrected. I forgot she was playing a real person, albeit made more heroic by, well, the character herself.

by Anonymousreply 2510/18/2011

Having a Jew play Sally Bowles would have made a huge difference. Sally would not have been just a somewhat indifferent observer.

by Anonymousreply 2610/18/2011

I feel like a faggot!

by Anonymousreply 2710/18/2011

R26 -- but like Lillian Hellman, Sally Bowles was a real person -- at least based on one.

She was a flakey rich WASP gal, not unlike Edie Sedgewick. The contrast with the nice Jewish girl in the film (the canny compassionate one who lost her dog to the Brown Shirt thugs) was a necessary contrast about what real (as opposed to Sally-esque) problems looked like.

by Anonymousreply 2810/18/2011

The real-life Sally Bowles, Jean Ross, was British, not American, and the character in the Christopher Isherwood novel GOODBYE TO BERLIN was also British rather than American.

by Anonymousreply 2910/18/2011

R29: Because being British, American and Jewish in 1930s Berlin were fungible equivalencies?

Nothing gets by you, does it?

by Anonymousreply 3010/18/2011

After her '60's muscials, Barbra tried a string of forgotten comedy movies. Trouble is, she plays the character the only way she knows how: fast-talking New York Yenta. So you've seen one, you've seen 'em all.

by Anonymousreply 3110/18/2011

R31, "What's Up, Doc?" is one of the best 3 comedies of all-time. And "The Way We Were" is right up there with "Casablanca" is terms of favorite love stories of all-time.

by Anonymousreply 3210/18/2011

""What's Up, Doc?" is one of the best 3 comedies of all-time."

We dispute your math.

by Anonymousreply 3310/18/2011

" "The Way We Were" is right up there with "Casablanca" "

Oh no no no no no. That is like saying Velveeta is right up there with Red Dragon.

by Anonymousreply 3410/18/2011

Oh, Hubbell, how could you say such a meshuggeneh thing?

by Anonymousreply 3510/18/2011

"All Night Long" is a good film and, IMO, Barbra's best performance. As another poster stated, it's the one film where she isn't playing the "Babs" persona to the hilt. Her performance is actually quite muted and natural. She suggests a Marilyn-esque sexuality without overplaying it.

by Anonymousreply 3604/26/2013

I think her lesser films were because of Jon Peiers A Star Is Born (a big hit Barbra was crushed when she didn't get Oscar nomination) and The Main Event. Barbra has herself to blame for Nuts and Mirror Has Two Faces but if you are a true Barbra fan u enjoy parts of these films...

by Anonymousreply 3704/26/2013

Sally's friendly with Nazis who frequent the Kit Kat Klub. That wouldn't make any sense if the actress read as unmistkably Jewish

by Anonymousreply 3804/26/2013

I read the "Vanity Fair" profile of Sue Mengers and watched the "60 Minutes" piece on her and, no, she didn't sound like a great nurturer of talent, more like she specialized in persuading already established stars into joining her stable. She just seems to have lucked into managing Barbra. I don't know whether or not she would have had a better career if she'd had different representation, though. Streisand was such a one-off sort of star that there has always been a certain amount of floundering around trying to find the right vehicle for her unique talent (like Midler herself, I guess.)

Mengers comes across as such a demure ladylike creature in the "60 Minutes" profile that it's hard to imagine her saying things like "Sue's cooze is cold," but there you go, that's showbiz, the art of being what you're not.

by Anonymousreply 3904/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.