Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

David Fincher and Rooney Mara are Creepy, says Vogue

As Fincher talks about the film, his heroine, Mara—with Salander’s awesomely strange hair, bleached eyebrows, and facial piercings—sits next to him, looking for all the world like a troubled college student who takes too much Adderall. She hangs on his every word, her eyes lit with admiration. Their relationship, it quickly becomes clear, is charged with the electric current of the mentor-protégée crush, which is both touching and occasionally uncomfortable to watch. Or, as Daniel Craig, who costars as a crusading journalist named Mikael Blomkvist, says about their working relationship, “It’s fucking weird!"

by Anonymousreply 7611/17/2014

Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 110/18/2011

David Fincher is creepy. Like Polanski creepy.

by Anonymousreply 210/18/2011

David Fincher is also creepy with Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 310/18/2011

Agreed, R2. Plus, they're probably related. If you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 410/18/2011

I thought Fincher was gay?

by Anonymousreply 510/18/2011

Isn't the character supposed to be anorectic? Which partially explains the creepiness about eating. She doesn't want to eat in front of the director, unless he thinks she's thin enough for the camera.

Hell of a way to earn a living.

by Anonymousreply 610/18/2011

Maybe, R7. But he may be gay. He has a vibe about him, althugh maybe it's something else thyat's not sexual. But who would care about Scarlett Johannson or most of these other 'name' actresses that have been pushed on us to begin with? Most of them are horrible. Kind of like Lady Gaga, a wart that nobody asked for.

Anyways, Rooney Mara is on her way to becoming actress who is used and abused by important Hollywood types.

by Anonymousreply 810/18/2011

Where have I seen this before?

by Anonymousreply 910/18/2011

[quote]Isn't the character supposed to be anorectic?

No, the character is supposed to be one of those naturally, waif thing young women, but she's not anorexic in the books.

by Anonymousreply 1010/18/2011

Did anyone see the Nightmare on Elm Street remake? Mara made ZERO impression in it. How she got cast in this high profile movie blows my mind. She's not very attractive, not very charismatic...is it just that the Wasp-wannabe Jews running Hollywood are so in awe of the fact that she's from old, waspy East Coast money?

by Anonymousreply 1110/19/2011

Maybe Mara did a good audition?

Still I'm not going to see it. To me that Swedish actress NAILED the role, and she's a pretty great actress, talented and the camera LOVES her. She also has the IT factor in my opinion.

Fincher IS creepy, and he's re-making the classic House of Cards, again I won't see that either on Netflix. HOC is an amazing and classic film. I hate re-makes.

Fincher's relationship with his alcoholic druggie wife is weird. She's the ex-wife of Gary Oldman. I'm pretty sure that Fincher and alkie fucked up wife have an open relationship & Fincher seems really really gay to me as well.

by Anonymousreply 1210/19/2011

I don't say this often, but this Rooney girl is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 1310/19/2011

Maybe Mara *did* do well with her audition, R12, but she had some awfully tough competition. It's hard to believe she was that impressive compared to some of them, especially when she has been such a non-entity on film up until now.

Maybe she got the role not because she fucked Fincher (at least, not right away) but because he saw that she would allow him to treat her the way the Vogue interviewer observes him treating her. There are many directors out there who are completely fucked up and love playing head games with their actors, particularly young, pretty ones.

In any case, I can't imagine anyone doing it as well as Noomi Rapace did. She was mesmerizing in the role.

by Anonymousreply 1410/19/2011

r13 - How do you walk around in public if that's your standard for ugly? You must be constantly vomiting in the street.

r12 - What do you know about Fincher and wifey? She's referenced in the article:

[quote]Everyone raves about Fincher’s secret weapon, his romantic partner (and producer for the past nineteen years), Ceán Chaffin. A cheerful, formidable presence, she seems to be handling the work of a dozen people, including acting as Mara’s publicist.

by Anonymousreply 1510/19/2011

r15, that is not his wife. Chaffin and Fincher aren't married.

He has a daughter by the druggie/alkie ex he actually got full custody of because the ex was too fucked up. She's about 16/17 now.

R2, Is he twinky creepy or gamine creepy, if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 1610/19/2011

[quote]Maybe she got the role not because she fucked Fincher (at least, not right away) but because he saw that she would allow him to treat her the way the Vogue interviewer observes him treating her. There are many directors out there who are completely fucked up and love playing head games with their actors, particularly young, pretty ones.

Bingo!

by Anonymousreply 1710/19/2011

r15 - my mistake ( r12 ) he is not married to Donya Fiorentino anymore. I thought they divorced then got back together, sounded all very messy.

by Anonymousreply 1810/19/2011

[quote][R13] - How do you walk around in public if that's your standard for ugly? You must be constantly vomiting in the street.

You are right. But for an actress, I think she is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 1910/19/2011

[quote]she's from old, waspy East Coast money?

Named Rooney Mara? Not a WASP - Irish Catholic. The money does go back a few generations and is east coast. And I think you're way off in your analysis of the social aspirations of Hollywood producers today.

by Anonymousreply 2010/19/2011

I won't be seeing this either. Noomi Rapace was fantastic and I can't see this girl outshining her.

by Anonymousreply 2110/19/2011

How did Rooney Mara get this role? Simple - payola. Her family HAS MONEY, big big money. Fincher NEEDS money to finance his films. Who knows if she even got a paycheck for this? If she did /does it will be minimal most likely to keep costs down or her family is helping to finance/produce this film.

Follow. The. Money. She's grateful because she's a shit actress most likely and the film is more about Daniel Craig than her from what I understand. She is peripheral to the story. This is DC's movie not RM's.

I posted before on this thread that Noomi Rapace IS this role and it was really stupid for Sony/Amy Pascal to do this film.

by Anonymousreply 2210/19/2011

I think there is more to their relationship than just fucking. I think he is the Master, she is the slave. And I think that is how she got this role. A lot of up and coming actors wouldn't even think twice about fucking a director or producer for a part, but I doubt that many would agree to be a slave/submissive.

Would love to hear Magdalene's take on these two.

by Anonymousreply 2310/19/2011

r22, this was designed as a franchise.

The money would have to be in the pipeline before she was cast.

If anything, Daniel Craig would be the contingent cast member because Hollywood is so misogynist.

by Anonymousreply 2410/19/2011

I agree r23.

Bumping and hoping for Magdalene to pop in.

by Anonymousreply 2510/23/2011

[quote]How did Rooney Mara get this role? Simple - payola.

Bullshit. This is a huge tentpole for Sony from a hugely popular novel, with sequels in the works. Money certainly wasn't an issue.

Rooney worked with Fincher on The Social Network so it's certainly not surprising he'd pick her again for his next project.

by Anonymousreply 2610/24/2011

[quote]Maybe she got the role not because she fucked Fincher (at least, not right away) but because he saw that she would allow him to treat her the way the Vogue interviewer observes him treating her. There are many directors out there who are completely fucked up and love playing head games with their actors, particularly young, pretty ones.

R14, more on this please. I'm fascinated by this. I've always suspected that a lot of them enjoy being terrible to those who will let them get away with it, under the guise of it being for the betterment of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 2710/24/2011

Everyone in Hollywood knows Fincher is an obsessive control freak.

by Anonymousreply 2810/24/2011

[quote]Did anyone see the Nightmare on Elm Street remake? Mara made ZERO impression in it.

Well she is certainly no Heather Langenkamp!

by Anonymousreply 2910/24/2011

lol R29

by Anonymousreply 3010/24/2011

I don't think this movie will do that well. I'm sure they're spending the $100m on P & A on it like Sony/Amy Pascal wants, it's been saturating the market with the RED LINE peak, etc. It's so stupid. It will probably do a little better than Moneyball but not much. Why is Amy Pascal still the head of Sony? She makes absolutely SHIT choices, like this one then she throws money at her favorite actors/producers (SCOTT RUDIN) & directors (EAT PRAY LOVE - which bombed btw).

by Anonymousreply 3110/24/2011

Pascal seems to be liked by the talent, regardless of her own.

Fincher seems like one of those dark, damaged UMC suburban white males who, although intellectually precocious, never grew up beyond their late teens.

Their intelligence allows them to bypass any social maturity (they often land good jobs), and their parents coddle and defend them from the world.

Thanks to their overbearing yet distant parents, the rest of us reap the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 3210/24/2011

I rewatched The Social Network recently and realized that I'd probably been overrating recent Fincher because I liked Zodiac so much. Clever but emotionally stunted is right.

by Anonymousreply 3310/24/2011

I liked Noomi Rapace, but I think Rooney Mara looks much more like the character was described. I also think that good as the actors in the Swedish versions were, the movies left A LOT of room for improvement (particularly the second one, which I thought was awful.) I'm really looking forward to Fincher's take.

by Anonymousreply 3410/24/2011

I am interesting in how he'll portray the land.

As others have said, the country and its landscape are the real centre of the book. His nihilistic gloss would be an interesting visual take.

by Anonymousreply 3510/24/2011

interested

Oh dearing myself before one of you pedantic bitches.

by Anonymousreply 3610/24/2011

R36, the pedantic comments from posters are one of the most annoying things about DL.

by Anonymousreply 3710/24/2011

Obviously the news is spreading, as shown by this BI:

They’re creeping everyone out

This director doesn’t have a reputation for engaging in tomfoolery on his sets, and this starlet has no reputation at all, yet they’ve been raising eyebrows with their vaguely off-putting relationship, which is inching into “professionally inappropriate” territory. Their weird fascination with one another is making some folks wonder if they could become a liability while promoting their film. She’s infatuated but he’s playing Pygmalion, a scenario that always ends messily. Someone should warn her, bless her little heart.

by Anonymousreply 3811/24/2011

I find it inevitable, but embarassing, that Hollywood latched on to this franchise in light of the success of the Swedish version. Honestly, I don't think those films can be topped. Cringing at US interpretation.

by Anonymousreply 3911/24/2011

Noomi Rapace was great but the Swedish films were glorified T.V. movies, at best. I for one will be looking forward to how Fincher re-interprets the material. I also think Rooney, for all her alleged (lack of)acting ability, is closer in age and physique to the book's description of the character. And Salander is by no means supposed to be pretty - so maybe casting a (borderline) unattractive actress in the role is the right choice after all?

i'm more worried about the fact that from the trailer it seems Rooney speaks in this cod-Swedish accent while everybody else has their own standard accent. I hope this wouldn't turn out to be the film's Achilles heel.

by Anonymousreply 4011/24/2011

Her sister Kate was in Brokeback Mountain and plays Hayden, Dylan McDermott's dead mistress on American Horror Story. True, the Mara girls do come from old money. Grandfather owned a baseball team I believe.

by Anonymousreply 4111/24/2011

Noomi Rapace is a wet noodle.

by Anonymousreply 4211/24/2011

I absolutely loved the Swedish version with Noomi Rapace, she was perfect in the role. Can't imagine the new version being good...

by Anonymousreply 4311/24/2011

r38, where is that blind from?

I'm still wondering about the poster who claimed he was gay and into twinks (16-19 yr old, I think) vs. the couple who claimed he was straight but into young girls.

Personally, I think creepily bi seems to be the answer.

by Anonymousreply 4411/24/2011

[quote]She’s infatuated but he’s playing Pygmalion, a scenario that always ends messily. Someone should warn her, bless her little heart.

So how does that type of scenario usually play out and end in a mess? I'm intrigued.

by Anonymousreply 4511/24/2011

There was an article recently about this- Rooney lost weight, took up smoking and got everything pierced for this role (eyebrows, nose, mulitple ears, and nipples). A bit too devoted to this role, non?

by Anonymousreply 4611/24/2011

David Fincher looks like David Duchovny.

by Anonymousreply 4711/24/2011

He must be creepy, Jodie Foster likes him.

by Anonymousreply 4811/24/2011

"So how does that type of scenario usually play out and end in a mess? "

One party thinks they've found true ove, one party thinks they've found a new toy. When it's time to replace the "toy" with a newer model, things do get ugly.

by Anonymousreply 4911/25/2011

r44 - that particular BI was from Lainey Gossip (I know she's not a DL fave, but who cares?).

Would you care for another one on this obvious subject?

This starlet has hooked a lot of buzz and if her new movie is as big as we think it will be, she'll soon be on the A list. She has been hero-worshiping the director of the film (big name/lots of good movies) for years, but now they've taken it to the next level. Lots of dirty texts and a strangely close relationship that is creeping out cast and crew. Not sure if they've bumped the uglies, but it seems inevitable at this point.

(that one is from BuzzFoto)

by Anonymousreply 5011/25/2011

Maybe all these is just a convoluted way of promoting the film?

by Anonymousreply 5111/25/2011

Maybe, R51. That doesn't necessarily mean it's totally false.

He's an immature, UMC white male with a permanent chip on his shoulder, and a teenage mentality.

Essentially, he's just a classier Michael Bay: style over substance.

The fact that he's so pretentious about it is irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 5211/25/2011

My least favorite thing about the book is the oft-repeated idea that Salander's underdeveloped body and strange affect give her an "ideal victim" vibe, one that makes her unusally appealing to pedos and other super-creepy men. I actually stopped reading the sequel because of this.

Knowing that there might have been a similiar relationhip off-screen is going to be enough to put me off seeing the film, not that it takes much these days.

by Anonymousreply 5311/26/2011

[quote]And Salander is by no means supposed to be pretty - so maybe casting a (borderline) unattractive actress in the role is the right choice after all?

Mara is far more conventionally attractive than Rapace. So they got it right the first time.

by Anonymousreply 5411/26/2011

I know this film is going to be popular but I seriously hope this girl does not get an Oscar nomination. It's not fair to Noomi Rapace.

by Anonymousreply 5511/28/2011

The no-eyebrows look does her no favors. She looks much better in her Wiki pic. And she's from NFL royalty, on both sides (how All-American!)

by Anonymousreply 5611/28/2011

R32, what does "UMC" stand for in relation to Fincher?

by Anonymousreply 5711/28/2011

I think it's Upper Middle Class.

Like there is such a thing any more.

by Anonymousreply 5811/28/2011

Thanks, R58.

by Anonymousreply 5911/28/2011

I hate to break the bubble of innocence here, but even if their relationship has become what is portrayed here (I doubt it started that way), then I'm forced to say: what else is new?

There are lots of actor/director relationships that became sexual and full of dominance games, emotional manipulation, etc. (Dietrich and Von Sternberg anyone?) so I say, 'big deal.' They're both adults, and if a fraction of that intensity is onscreen then the movie might be even better than I'm hoping it is.

For what it's worth, though he isn't classically handsome or anything, I think David Fincher is very hot. He gives off some klnd of sexual vibe, maybe it's his confidence and aggressiveness mixed with soft-spokenness, I don't know. But I have talked to people who have met him, and they all said he was charismatic, much to their surprise.

by Anonymousreply 6011/28/2011

No, R6. It is clear in the book that she eats a lot but burns it off quickly.

by Anonymousreply 6111/28/2011

I don't know why everyone thinks Noomi Rapace was so brilliant in the role. She looked like a fucking rodent in every scene. Honestly, I couldn't get past it. She seems OK looking in real life, but dreadful in that film. And the book was so much better than the film, which completely ruined it. If I hadn't read the book I would have had no idea what was happening. I still don't understand how the director took over 2 hours to go nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 6211/28/2011

I mostly agree with R62.

Noomi Rapace was good but really wasn't playing Lizabeth Salander as written in the book - a person with Asberger's.

I think Fincher and Mara will create something closer to the true character.

by Anonymousreply 6311/28/2011

David Fincher is one of the Greatest Directors of our time and Mara Rooney is an up and coming and atypical actress. Both of them I could see how you could persecute them Instead of appreciate their talent

by Anonymousreply 6404/08/2012

I don't get why the US movie made it seem as if Liz had a thing for Michael, the Swedish version definitely didn't put that out there.

by Anonymousreply 6504/08/2012

Hi, David!

by Anonymousreply 6604/08/2012

[quote]Both of them I could see how you could persecute them Instead of appreciate their talent

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 6704/08/2012

R62, dead on about noomi's looks.

by Anonymousreply 6809/15/2012

[quote] Anyways

Good fucking Christ

by Anonymousreply 6909/15/2012

Naomi's looks bothered me more in Prometheus. She has a weird burn victim face.

by Anonymousreply 7009/15/2012

Happy Holidays, gays. It's me, Rooney Mara!

I'm sure you noticed that I was pretty quiet in 2012. Especially since I was undoubtedly the Girl of the Moment in 2011. No one could get enough of me, no matter how rude or arrogant I was in interviews! Or was it my unconventional beauty that everyone found so compelling? And of course, the award noms.

Anyway, I have spent the year making more blockbuster movies--count em, FOUR to be released in 2013! And enjoying some much needed Me Time. So I'm bumping threads and reminding the gays about me, Rooney Mara.

2013 will be a great year, I predict. For Rooney Mara!

by Anonymousreply 7112/16/2012

Okay, so this thread didn't re-ignite as it should have. But today is not merely New Year's Eve: it's ROONEY Eve, the dawn of 2013, a great year for Rooney Mara! And I have decided that the gays will be in the front lines of the movement.

So get out there and start chatting about Rooney Mara. Because everyone will be, any day now.

by Anonymousreply 7212/31/2012

Well, Rooney Mara, I will definitely go to your Terence Malick movie.

by Anonymousreply 7312/31/2012

Is R69 an eldergay? Nearly every educated person I know says "anyways".

by Anonymousreply 7412/31/2012

It's the middle of January, and it's already shaping up to be a spectacular new year... for me, Rooney Mara! Here I am rocking next month's cover of VOGUE, bitches!

People can't stop talking about... Rooney Mara!

by Anonymousreply 7501/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 7611/17/2014
Need more help? Click Here.