Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Almodovar's THE SKIN I LIVE IN

Just saw it today.

Banderas looks fucking hot in this one. In his designer suits and sporting a touch of gray in his hair he's easily one of the hottest papis ever on the silver screen.

I do have a few questions, though...

Spoilers inside...

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 3201/04/2013

Didn't it seem that Vicente/Vera just shot Robert in the shoulder and he might not have been dead at the end?

Wasn't it strongly implied that Vicente, although a hetero, actually felt like a woman trapped in a man's body?

At the end of it all I could think of was YOU FUCKING INGRATE. He/she had the prospect of Robert (Banderas) fucking him/her morning, noon and night and wasn't happy? And the guy was LOADED. In THIS economy! In SPAIN! Jesus.

I do think Vicente raped Norma. Yeah, he was high but if he took a sec he'd notice she was freaking out. Of course he wasn't to know she was a wack job.

This movie is by no means one of Almodovar's finer films but it's certainly never hot. And I think I'll jerk off tonight thinking about getting fucked by that bald guy in a tiger costume.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 110/17/2011

Hated it. I think vera ended up with Christina after all, about the best thing I could say for it. Saw at the Landmark in LA with a bunch of crazy incontinent old people.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 210/17/2011

I saw Banderas in Los Angeles one night last week after a screening of the film. He is quite fit and handsome in person.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 310/17/2011

This movie will be very controversial to audiences.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 410/17/2011

Hence the incontinence mentioned by R2.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 510/18/2011

I thought it was one of Almodovar's lesser efforts.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 610/18/2011

Isn't Bandersas short?

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 710/18/2011

I think that's the knee-jerk criticism of the film, R6, but I'm wondering if you could elaborate to explain why you think that.

For me, the story is so whacked out and the melodrama so high, it circles back to his early work. I think it might not be accepted early on, but I think it's one of his strongest works in the past few decades (along with Talk to Her).

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 810/18/2011

Marilia (Marisa Paredes) was great. Antonio Banderas was as well.

However, some curious observations. Robert Ledgard drives the same car in the flashback period to six years ago as he does in the present. Second, the dress that Vincente tells the lesbian shop girl to try on sits on the rack for SIX years so Vera can buy when she returns? Come on.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 910/18/2011

I've really tried to like Almodovar's movie, but they suck despite some ok performances in some of them. And Banderas is gross looking. He looks like a gummy bear.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 1010/18/2011

I really enjoyed this movie. I thought Volver was awful and Broken Embraces so-so but The Skin I Live in was really good.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 1110/18/2011

R10, what are you smoking? Banderas is absolutely gorgeous in this movie. Although he plays a wackadoodle in this you can never keep on marvelling at his beauty.

R11, I thought this was much better than BROKEN EMBRACES but thought VOLVER was pretty good, especially for the performances by everybody in it, not just Cruz.

I meant to say in my original post that this movie is never BORING. And it ain't.

I'm hoping Supreme Broadway Papi Raul Esparza will do a musical version of THE SKIN I LIVE IN someday. It could be his SWEENEY TODD.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 1210/18/2011

Banderas looks like a gummy bear. He always has. Ugly face.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 1310/18/2011

Banderas looks good for his age.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 1410/18/2011

I loved the movie. I have seen it twice.

I think it is one of his most beautiful films. DP Alcaine is really a master and he deserves prizes for the scenes when she is in her room, by herself. The only part of the movie that does not ring true is the rape by the brazilian tiger. Come on. A little convoluted (even by PA standards) but I think it is great. I hated Broken Embraces, loved Volver and, of course, All About My Mother and Talk to Her are masterpieces in my book.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 1510/18/2011

I'm planning on seeing it next week, so I won't read the comments here until then.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 1610/18/2011

An enjoyable thriller and quite funny. Much better than Broken Embraces

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 1710/18/2011

I'm with r15. I'm drawn to his more lurid stuff - like Matador, where you can tell he was clearly influenced by Italian horror movies and Hitchcock. That's what this felt like to me.

Loved, loved, loved it.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 1810/18/2011

R15, yes, I agree ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER and TELL HER are his masterpieces. TALK TO HER is right up there as one of my all-time favorite movies. I was surprised that LAWS OF DESIRE really didn't hold up for me when I saw it again recently.

Yes, I believe we're meant to think that Cristina and Vicente/Vera will end up together although of course it would be easy enough for the cops to track him down for the double murder. Robert's associate could finger him (pardon my pun) for the crime. However he/she could get off (pardon my pun), no?

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 1910/18/2011

Didn't it seem that Vicente/Vera just shot Robert in the shoulder and he might not have been dead at the end?

OK, one at a time:

"Wasn't it strongly implied that Vicente, although a hetero, actually felt like a woman trapped in a man's body?"

It's certainly more than implied that he was trapped in a man's body, by the last beat of the movie and the fact that he kept the dress from his mother's shop all those years. It's also more than implied that he could have strong erotic feelings for both women and men.

"At the end of it all I could think of was YOU FUCKING INGRATE. He/she had the prospect of Robert (Banderas) fucking him/her morning, noon and night and wasn't happy? And the guy was LOADED. In THIS economy! In SPAIN! Jesus."

I think you need to rethink that. Vincente/Vera is kidnapped, deprived of his family, physically abused, undergoes surgery against his/her will, is forced to live in complete isolation, is afflicted with Stockholm Syndrome. Money and a few nice dresses and being able to fuck a hot guy aren't the only things in life, OP. If they were, we would all be happy being 60s upper middle class housewives. They weren't very happy. Watch Mad Men.

"I do think Vicente raped Norma. Yeah, he was high but if he took a sec he'd notice she was freaking out. Of course he wasn't to know she was a wack job."

He justifiably believes she is consenting, he didn't know she was non-recreationally medicted, and he reacts quickly to her freaking out by telling her to calm down in a moment of intense passion, at which point she bites him very hard. Even had he not been a kid, and high, it would still not have been rape.

"This movie is by no means one of Almodovar's finer films but it's certainly never hot. And I think I'll jerk off tonight thinking about getting fucked by that bald guy in a tiger costume."

Alas, we agree.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 2010/23/2011

"Second, the dress that Vincente tells the lesbian shop girl to try on sits on the rack for SIX years so Vera can buy when she returns? Come on."

Ah, is it clear that Vera buys that dress when she goes out shopping? I thought she had kept the dress all that time, which also seemed odd. If you are correct and that Vera returns to the shop before the final scene, it would be strange that Almodovar woudln't have filmed such a pivotal moment as Vera's first time back home, no?

All in all, it's a fascinating movie about identity. Not one of Pedro's best but certainly one of the best movies of the year.

And Marisa Parades should get an oscar nomination. She won't. But she should.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 2110/23/2011

[quote] Money and a few nice dresses and being able to fuck a hot guy aren't the only things in life, OP.

Speak for yourself, please...

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 2210/23/2011

Banderas was best in WOMEN ON THE VERGE

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 2310/23/2011

I'm going to see this movie tonight in DVD. I think i'll like it, we'll see...

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 2412/19/2012

Elena Anaya is one of the hottest women out there. She is very interesting...

Antonio is very sexy and clingy. Love him.t

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 2512/22/2012

I don't want to sound mean or superficial but i wonder what Elena Anaya found to her companion Beatriz Sanchís. Excuse me but a woman like Elena could find something more like her...t

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 2612/22/2012

"Women on the Verge" was brilliant, everything else has been shit.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 2712/22/2012

I [italic]love[/italic] Almosovar's films, but this is certainly one of his weak efforts (along with Kika and Tie Me Up Tie Me Down).

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 2812/22/2012

Elena Anaya is awesome. Have you seen her in 'Room in Rome'? She is fantastic!

What i want to say is that she is incredibly sexy and hot with both women and men. She is very talented, isn't she?

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 2912/22/2012

"one of his weak efforts (along with Kika and Tie Me Up Tie Me Down)"

Precisely, R28. Those are the worst Almodovar films.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 3012/22/2012

ELENA ANAYA!

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 3101/04/2013

[quote]I'm hoping Supreme Broadway Papi Raul Esparza will do a musical version of THE SKIN I LIVE IN someday. It could be his SWEENEY TODD.

Love this idea

"The Skin I Live In" is fantastic, I saw it like three times. "All About My Mother" continues to be his masterpiece. I'm also really fond of "Volver", one of those movies that just gets better everytime you see it.

by Salvadore Dolly Levireply 3201/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.