Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What Killed Steve Jobs?

What was his original illness, the illness that started it all? So strange. I know the AIDS rumor was shot down, but I'm still not clear as to the reality of his situation all those years. It seemed sort of mysterious.

by Anonymousreply 9007/05/2013

Pancreatic cancer. Nothing mysterious about it, just sad. Support cancer research.

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2011

[quote] What Killed Steve Jobs?

Seriously? Who gives a shit?

The guy is rotting in the morgue somewhere, waiting to be put on display and worshiped by his brainless robot minions.

He was a computer nerd, yet you act like he was Buddha or the second coming.

FUCK STEVE JOBS.

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2011

Is that genetic? Does anything precede it ever? Excuse my ignorance. Does anyone know when he was first diagnosed?

The Pancreas controls sugar levels? Does that mean that you're diabetic.

Such a sad way to go.

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2011

Specifically, neuroendocrine pancreatic cancer, which, if caught early, is very, very treatable. The more common kind, adenocarcinoma is very untreatable.

Plus, Jobs had a gazillion dollars to get the best possible medical treatment. All things considered, he fought the cancer for a long time, but the cancer won.

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2011

Anyone could get cancer and suffer horribly. Even you. Even if you exercise and eat right and live an upstanding, loving life. No one can stop it. No one is looking over you and preventing this from happening. There is no mystery, no matter how much you wish there were.

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2011

[quote]The Pancreas controls sugar levels? Does that mean that you're diabetic.

Yes and no. The pancreas is both an endocrine and an exocrine gland, which means is secretes chemicals that work on your own cells (endocrine) and stuff that comes from outside your body (exocrine). The endocrine production is a part of the pancreas called the islets of Langerhans, and those cells make chiefly glucagon, which causes your liver to dump sugar into your blood, and insulin, which causes your cells to uptake sugar to lower the levels.

The exocrine parts secrete enzymes that aid your body in digesting food.

Why, yes, I do I have a test on glucose homeostasis tomorrow, why do you ask?

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2011

R4, you really do post just to see yourself in print, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2011

I noticed the official cause of death is listed as "respiratory arrest". I guess that's just a fancy medical term for "he died because he stopped breathing". DUH, no shit sherlock! In the end I think that's why everyone dies.

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2011

Obama killed Jobs.

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2011

Hillary Clinton?

by Anonymousreply 1110/12/2011

The Television industry.

They were terrified he was about to do to TV what the IPod did to the Music Industry.

by Anonymousreply 1210/12/2011

VOTN: Good luck with your schooling. You seem to be doing very well as near as I can gather.

I read somewhere that Jobs tried the more holistic route with a thing or two. I think it was over on the web page for CNN from a long while back.

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2011

[quote] neuroendocrine pancreatic cancer

There should be an app for that.

by Anonymousreply 1410/12/2011

Yep. Jobs treated his cancer with a "special diet" instead of having surgery. He delayed his cancer treatment and probably could have lived if he'd sought conventional treatment.

by Anonymousreply 1510/12/2011

A more in-depth look at Jobs' cancer treatment.

I like this part

"Jobs was relieved that, as he put it in that 2004 email, he did “not require any chemotherapy or radiation treatments.” He took that as a sign that the surgery “got it all,” as every cancer patient desperately wishes to hear. In fact, any surgeons who say they “got it all” should be slapped: no existing technology can detect micrometastases, let alone a few million rogue malignant cells floating in the bloodstream or lymph fluid and just waiting to invade some vital organ."

I used to work in a recovery room. This is what I would hear surgeons say to patients, "We took out all the cancer we saw in there. We couldn't see any more cancer."

Very sly, no?

The patients would then say, "Oh thank God! Thank you, doctor! Thank you!"

by Anonymousreply 1610/12/2011

From R15's link:

[italic]Most pancreatic cancers are aggressive and always terminal, but Steve was lucky (if you can call it that) and had a rare form called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which is actually quite treatable with excellent survival rates — if caught soon enough. The median survival is about a decade, but it depends on how soon it’s removed surgically.[/italic]

Care to comment VOTN?

by Anonymousreply 1710/12/2011

"the median survival rate is a decade" may sound good compared to some other cancers, but honestly, when I hear the word "treatable" I think of something that can be cured forever, or at least held in abeyance indefinitely.

Or is it that mostly older people than Jobs get these cancers, and they would have died in about 10 years anyway?

by Anonymousreply 1810/12/2011

Actually, he died of respiratory failure.

by Anonymousreply 1910/12/2011

"FUCK STEVE JOBS."

Oh give it a rest, asshole. Steve Jobs accomplished more in his relatively short lifetime than most people dream of. Certainly he made more of a contribution to humanity than you ever will in your miserable, inconsequential life.

by Anonymousreply 2010/12/2011

He made computers and phones. They are things. No one's life got better and no person became a better person by buying one of those gadgets.

Apple is a status symbol. What people worship about it is belonging to a club. Visibly. Every time to show your iPhone or iPad or one of their laptops you flash you club card. Lifestyle branding is what it's called.

I have an Arcam CD player as part of my stereo system that cost me $2200 seven years ago. It's a perfect machine that will serve me for many more years. It is built to last. I am on my third Mac laptop. The latest one had two hard drive failures in less than a year. Which company do I respect more? Hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 2110/12/2011

[quote] when I hear the word "treatable" I think of something that can be cured forever, or at least held in abeyance indefinitely

You should stop thinking that.

Treatable does not mean curable, and that's why "treatable" has become the favorite word in cancer care. Thousands of people walk out of hospitals and oncology offices thinking their cancer is curable, because doctors said it was "treatable."

"You can live for years," is another favorite saying. They make it sound like you've got at least a decade more when you've got 18 months to 30 months of chemo, pain medication and blood transfusions. The last 6 months may be hellish as the cancer metastasizes, making you lose your appetite, shutting down your bone marrow, making you probe to infections that keep you bedridden.

So when someone tells you your cancer is "treatable" DO NOT confuse it with "curable." When they say, "you can live for YEARS," make sure you ask, "What is the 5 year survival rate? The ten year survival rate (if there is one)?"

If a doctor says, "we don't see any cancer left in you after we did that treatment," be sure to ask, "Does that mean m cured or merely in remission? How long does the average remission last for?"

I'm always hearing people rejoicing that their mother's/father's/relative's cancer was "beaten" because after the last chemo session, the doctors said they couldn't see any more cancer. Then they are truly and heartbreakingly shocked when the cancer "came back.... and it's much worse this time."

Cancer care keeps a lot of people employed.

by Anonymousreply 2210/12/2011

r3, I don't use Apple products to be seen as belonging to a club. And I doubt most other Apple users do, either. I use them because my mom got an LC III when I was about 10 and my dad's junky PC was way less functional and I've simply stuck with the products that I know work and work well. I've got a 4 year old MacBook and an 8 year old G5 both of which work just as well as the day I got them.

by Anonymousreply 2310/12/2011

R21 is an example of a "trash bastard" -- talks trash and is a big bastard.

Taaaa -- daaaa

by Anonymousreply 2410/12/2011

It seems like pancreatic cancer is about the worst for being "beaten" then 2 years later you die eaten up with it 2 weeks after you go to the doctor.

by Anonymousreply 2510/12/2011

[quote] He made computers and phones. They are things. No one's life got better and no person became a better person by buying one of those gadgets.

I guarantee you, the advent of the cellphone was part of the reason the crime rate declined in NYC. Before cellphones were common, NYPD gave phones to people who were in Central Park daily -- runners, cyclists, birdwatchers, etc, which dialed the park precinct so the people could call in crimes or suspicious activity and give their locations.

You used to have to find a pay phone to dial 911 -- and most pay phones were out of order.

If you're lost, your phone's GPS can tell you where you are.

You can photograph a crime being committed with your cellphone, so the criminal can be identified. You can film police brutality with your cellphone.

You can go online and look up a fact to disprove your Tea Party relative who insists on trashing progressives.

If you're diagnosed with a disease, you don't have to go to the library to look up treatment, prognosis, support groups, etc. You can do it on your phone or your computer.

You can go on edmunds.com and save thousands of dollars on a car when looking under the "Prices Paid and Buying Experience." I saved $6,000 buying from a dealership 65 miles away rather than in my town. Couldn't have done it without the Edmunds forums.

Cellphones and computers have made things better --- and worse --- depending on how they are used. Just like fire, the wheel, the saddle and the plow.

by Anonymousreply 2610/12/2011

Probably murdered by the government. They have the technology....

by Anonymousreply 2710/12/2011

Walter Isaacson killed him.

by Anonymousreply 2810/12/2011

[quote][R21] is an example of a "trash bastard" -- talks trash and is a big bastard.

Ah, the inevitable name calling. Is there an Apple app for it? If so, surely you must have it.

by Anonymousreply 2910/12/2011

[quote]Most pancreatic cancers are aggressive and always terminal, but Steve was lucky (if you can call it that) and had a rare form called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which is actually quite treatable with excellent survival rates — if caught soon enough. The median survival is about a decade, but it depends on how soon it’s removed surgically.

I remember them announcing when he was diagnosed, but that he was going after alternative treatments first. I swear I don't remember why he needed to have his liver transplant, but I guess the cancer metastasized. His prognosis must still have been pretty good for him to get approved, but I know money had to have been a factor. Not that he would pay directly for a liver--that's still illegal--but because, being a gazillionaire with a private jet, he was able to put himself on the list at multiple transplant centers, because one of the rules UNOS sets is that if you match, you need to be at the hospital prepped for surgery within a specified amount of time, and for those of us mere mortals, we're limited to how fast we can drive. I think he had his done at Vanderbilt, even though he lives much closer to UCSF, which is also a great hospital with a good transplant program.

And before someone asks, yes you can transplant a pancreas, but there are some pretty bad complications that go along with that, so it's generally reserved for people with severe Type I diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 3010/12/2011

What killed Steve Jobs was stupidity. He learned he had a treatable cancer and then waiting 9 FUCKING MONTHS while he tried diet and acupuncture. Finally the board of directors put their foot down and said go get the damn surgery. If he'd had it out when they found it, he might be alive today.

Second, the liver transplant was the beginning of the end. To prevent rejection, they put organ recipients on immune suppressant drugs. That right there leaves cancer a wide open door to come back, and it did.

The Wikileaks claim is interesting. Has anyone run the SSN? That would make it easy to verify, since your SSN is based on the state in which you resided when it was issued.

by Anonymousreply 3110/12/2011

Memphis was the site of his transplant. Traffic accident victim in his late 20s as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 3210/12/2011

R26, Steve Jobs DID NOT invent cell phones, computers, the internet, or GPS. The iPhone is just a cell phone that has GOS that can also access the internet. He simply created a product that used various already invented electronics or media. That's it. He was a marketer and salesman for a product, not a true inventor.

Cell phones may very well have helped the crime rate being reduced in the city, but there were cell phones out there long before the iPhone. You should be thanking the person or persons who invented the CELL phone.

by Anonymousreply 3410/12/2011

[quote] He simply created a product that used various already invented electronics or media

Which nobody else could do.

by Anonymousreply 3510/12/2011

They couldn't replace his battery without ripping him apart.

by Anonymousreply 3610/12/2011

R22 speaks perhaps the tiniest bit pesimissticly (sp?? sorry), but he is, alas, right. NOt great survival rates from pancreatic cancer; think: Jackie Gleason, Michael Landon, Dennis Hopper, etc. (plus any number of thousands of nonfamous people.)

by Anonymousreply 3710/12/2011

R2 = stupid bitch

by Anonymousreply 3810/12/2011

I'm surprised we haven't heard from Peggy, whose doctor told her she was terminal and then sent her home to die.

by Anonymousreply 3910/12/2011

How come he didn't leave a dime for pancreatic cancer research? They could sure use the money.

by Anonymousreply 4010/12/2011

Jobs didn't believe in philanthropy, R40.

by Anonymousreply 4110/12/2011

When he came back to Apple, he killed off their corporate philanthropy and was never known to personally donate money.

So, while Bill and Melinda Gates were treating AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa, Steve was wiping his ass with thousand dollar bills.

As I said in an earlier thread, I am sorry for his wife and his kids, and his friends, assuming he had any. But I can't pretend he was some kind of benevolent genius.

by Anonymousreply 4210/12/2011

Laurene will find another billionaire to hook up with, hell, it's Woodside, she might have been having an affair with one for years. I am really curious about Laurene Powell Jobs & the kids.

by Anonymousreply 4310/12/2011

Laurene Powell was pregnant when they got married in 1991 with Reed Jobs, who is 20 now. I wouldn't say shotgun marriage but I would say he got her knocked up and married her, something she wanted I assume since they had met in 1989, he was already super wealthy then and even more so in 1991.

by Anonymousreply 4410/12/2011

"So, while Bill and Melinda Gates were treating AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa, Steve was wiping his ass with thousand dollar bills."

Bono said this about Jobs: "His support of RED literally transformed the lives of 2 million people in Africa", so I guess he was doing something besides "wiping his ass with thousand dollar bills."

by Anonymousreply 4510/12/2011

I would not be surprised in the least to hear of some major (and innovative) posthumous charitable bequests from Jobs' estate.

by Anonymousreply 4610/12/2011

I just wish that the fucker had died before his liver transplant. He totally did NOT deserve that transplant and someone younger who could have lived for a few more decades is probably dead now because Steve Jobs just HAD to extend his life for another measly year rather than give it up the ghost as he should've done. Some fucking Buddhist he was. I hope he reincarnates as a poor person in North Korea.

by Anonymousreply 4710/12/2011

[quote]Bono said this about Jobs: "His support of RED literally transformed the lives of 2 million people in Africa", so I guess he was doing something besides "wiping his ass with thousand dollar bills."

Okay, but what kind of support, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 4810/12/2011

RED is an app for collecting cow dung.

by Anonymousreply 4910/12/2011

People who don't know about Red wouldn't be caught dead on Apple.com, apparently. I believe the last Red branded product I saw there was this time last year.

by Anonymousreply 5010/12/2011

[quote]For every iPod Nano Red Special Edition sold, Apple will donate $10 to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

That pretty much means that those who bought the iPod Nano Red gave $10 to charity, since the manufacturing cost of the iPod is probably 30pc of his store price.

by Anonymousreply 5110/12/2011

Didn't Patrick Swayze have pancreatic cancer too?

by Anonymousreply 5210/12/2011

[quote]Bono said this about Jobs: "His support of RED literally transformed the lives of 2 million people in Africa", so I guess he was doing something besides "wiping his ass with thousand dollar bills."

Here's the difference, though: Jobs required people to buy one of his products in order to give money to Project RED. Bill and Melinda Gates gave their personal fortunes to their charity. And Bill Gates has been in with Warren Buffet trying to get more mega-rich to consider leaving their money to charity, rather than create dynastic wealth and an even greater divide between the haves and the have nots.

Look, I'm not saying that Bill Gates is some wonderful human being who farts sunshine and pees rainbows, but if there is such a thing as karma, I think Gates is a little higher up than Jobs. And I'm saying that from a MacBook.

by Anonymousreply 5310/12/2011

Since we've been talking about cancer in addition to our positive and negative opinions of Steve Jobs, there's a really good book out called The Emperor of All Maladies, which was written by a Boston oncologist named Siddhartha Mukherjee who won a Pultizer Prize for it. He calls it a "biography" of cancer, and he goes back to the time of ancient Egypt all the way through his treatment of a young mother with leukemia in 2009. A lot of it is about cancer research and the way treatment evolved in the twentieth century. It is good science writing, but it's written for a popular audience.

This is probably just me being weird, but it actually gave me nightmares, which, yeah, I know, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 5410/12/2011

"I just wish that the fucker had died before his liver transplant. He totally did NOT deserve that transplant and someone younger who could have lived for a few more decades is probably dead now because Steve Jobs just HAD to extend his life for another measly year rather than give it up the ghost as he should've done. Some fucking Buddhist he was. I hope he reincarnates as a poor person in North Korea."

You are a sad, sick, vile excuse for a human being. You need psychiatric help. I hope you get it.

by Anonymousreply 5510/12/2011

Well, if you needed some really, really black humor about Steve's passing, The Onion News Network aired a piece about Tim Cook announcing the forthcoming release of an upgraded Steve Jobs 2, which will feature some functionality improvements as well as being available in a white turtleneck.

by Anonymousreply 5610/13/2011

Bill Gates is no benevolent genius either. He concentrates on subsaharan Africa because of hate for Americans.

by Anonymousreply 5710/13/2011

Why did he wait from October to August to have his first surgery? He might have been cured if he hadn't decided to try alternative treatments instead of immediate surgery once they found his pancreatic tumor. He was encouraged that it was the less fatal type so he delayed. So I think he may have killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 5810/13/2011

Bill Gates has done a lot to whitewash his image. He needed to.

by Anonymousreply 5910/13/2011

Steve Jobs had cancer.

The whole HIV test image is fake and got spread around the internet.

by Anonymousreply 6010/13/2011

So why did Bill Gates have to whitewash his image R59? I know he was into LSD but that's old news.

by Anonymousreply 6110/13/2011

who cares

by Anonymousreply 6210/22/2011

[quote]What Killed Steve Jobs?

A.N.D.R.O.I.D.S

by Anonymousreply 6310/22/2011

It appears his cancer was a very treatable form, but he delayed treatment in favour of an alternative approach.

by Anonymousreply 6410/22/2011

Steve Jobs died of karma for being such a sociopathic asshole all of his life.

by Anonymousreply 6510/22/2011

his contributions to society were on the par with Einstein, Edison, Ford - he revolutionized the way we live - that is what the big deal was about - my god do you people ever step outside of your own needs for even a few minutes and have a look around at what the rest of us are doing?

by Anonymousreply 6610/22/2011

#1 The Woz did the grunt work for Apple back in the day. His first patent is for what we all use now to go on this very web site and shit. Look it the fuck up.

Gosh.

#2 Steve Jobs thought he could cure his own cancer through a diet of lawn clippings, herbal tea, and hope. When that did not work he followed a more traditional route. Then, he bought a liver over in Memphis, TN.

by Anonymousreply 6710/22/2011

[quote]It appears his cancer was a very treatable form, but he delayed treatment in favour of an alternative approach.

He shouldn't have listened to Suzanne Somers.

by Anonymousreply 6810/22/2011

No one should, R68.

And VOTN, thank you for the mention of The Emperor of All Maladies. It's on my Kindle list, and I'm about to dive in.

by Anonymousreply 6910/22/2011

Steve Jobs seemed to think he was infallible, god-like, and that nothing bad would ever happen to him.

He is NOT like Einstein or Edison or Ford. Steve's "inventions" we just from taking concepts and technology already out there and marketing it another way. He did not invent the cell phone, the internet, wireless communication, etc. etc. but he used those things to make a product that cults follow.

Steve Jobs was killed by his own vanity.

by Anonymousreply 7010/22/2011

He died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 7106/29/2013

completely agree with R70

by Anonymousreply 7206/29/2013

We read the STEVE JOBS book to find out. As we suspected, doctors killed him. There was really nothing wrong with him until that dactor-fish pressured him into having x-rays and then a biopsy. Where in nature are steel needles stuck into the pacreas and pieces cut out? It was downhill from there. Chemo, etc., then completed the job.

But he had no symptoms, no sickness until the doctors got to him.

Also, we really hate that evil fish who was married to Steve and hope that something really bad happens to her.

by Anonymousreply 7306/29/2013

Since our country endorses murder and assassination of citizens without trial or due process, we cannot conclude Steve Jobs' death was accidental.

by Anonymousreply 7406/29/2013

And yes they have known how to induce cancer in people for decades.

by Anonymousreply 7506/29/2013

Famous people murdered by the medical establishment

by Anonymousreply 7606/29/2013

Do loonies at the asylum get to use computers?

by Anonymousreply 7706/29/2013

Where in nature is an appendix removed Mrs. Asshole Campbell?

by Anonymousreply 7806/29/2013

Interesting that Steve's one time nemesis, Jeff Raskin, self-proclaimed "Father of the Macintosh," got pancreatic cancer at the exact same time as Steve, but he got the more common, more lethal, kind, and died within 4-5 months.

Steve's cancer was a rare, more treatable, type, but with a life expectancy of 8-10 years rather than 4-5 months.

He lived to see his son graduate from high school, which he wanted, but not to have grandchildren, another goal.

Steve also used to "brag" that he would die early, something that many people with Jesus complexes tend to do.

by Anonymousreply 7906/30/2013

The AIDS!

by Anonymousreply 8006/30/2013

Hubris.

[quote]Night of the fight, you might feel a slight sting. That's pride fuckin' with you. Fuck pride! Pride only hurts, it never helps. You fight through that shit. 'Cause a year from now, when you kicking it in the Caribbean, you gonna say to yourself, "Marsellus Wallace was right."

by Anonymousreply 8106/30/2013

Jobs was NOT smart.

If he were smart, he would have listened to his doctors and lived, instead of practically listening to Gwyneth Paltrow, and doing "juice fasting and cleansing" among other forms of voodoo, practiced by people who DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!

Everyday I hear people talking about "fasts" (starves), "cleanses", Joos, and "toxins", and I want to scream! There is no "alternative medicine"! There is "medicine" and "gibberish". If it works and is accepted as effective, it is already grouped within "medicine"!

Steve Jobs died for you...stupid!

by Anonymousreply 8206/30/2013

[quote] There is no "alternative medicine"! There is "medicine" and "gibberish". If it works and is accepted as effective, it is already grouped within "medicine"!

If he leaves at home the exclamation marks, I'll buy R82 a drink or a lunch any day.

by Anonymousreply 8307/01/2013

Agreed R80 and others who said he died of AIDS. He did not believe in taking medications for anything including HIV and by that time it was too late.

by Anonymousreply 8407/04/2013

Not AIDS. Do you know him? He did have a swishy gait, and was appealing to mean men, but he was always involved with one or more women.

Definitely had pancreatic cancer, the type which is a much slower killer. He probably would've died anyway, but could have lasted a bit longer if he had had surgery in a more timely fashion.

He went through a phase where he only ate cherries, and would order crates of them, so this may have affected his pancreas.

by Anonymousreply 8507/04/2013

Dating Joan Baez is what did him in.

by Anonymousreply 8607/04/2013

Bill Clinton was flirting with Joan Baez at Steve's memorial service, before he went on to trying to inpress the Widow Jobs with his flagging charm.

by Anonymousreply 8707/04/2013

Were you there, r87?

by Anonymousreply 8807/04/2013

His own arrogance.

by Anonymousreply 8907/04/2013

Yes, I was there.

Another little detail: Condolezza Rice sat right in front of us at in the church. One by one, people came to her pew which was empty, except for her, and then chose another place to sit. She was not popular in that Democratic crowd.

Stephen Frye was there wearing a purple velvet suit, and Rupert Murdoch was there, looking more kindly than I might have expected, and Wendy Deng was there looking fussy.

by Anonymousreply 9007/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.