Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Joshua Bell

Threads from more than a decade ago had people going back and forth on gay or straight for violinist Joshua Bell.

He's now 43 and still single. Who's his b/f?

by Anonymousreply 4802/03/2013

In an experiment initiated by "Washington Post" columnist Gene Weingarten, Bell donned a baseball cap and played as an incognito street busker at the Metro subway station L'Enfant Plaza in Washington, D.C. on January 12, 2007.

The experiment was videotaped on hidden camera; among 1,097 people who passed by, only seven stopped to listen to him, and only one recognized him. For his nearly 45-minute performance, Bell collected $32.17 from 27 passersby (excluding $20 from the passerby who recognized him).

Weingarten won the 2008 Pulitzer Prize for feature writing for his article on the Bell experiment.

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2011

I didn't know who he was until that article came out, R1. My boyfriend at the time thought it was a big deal...interesting article.

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2011

He's still gorgeous. He'll be performing Tchaicovsky's Violin Concerto with the New York Philharmonic in December. I wonder whether Bill Conti will be around to hear his creation played by Joshua.

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2011

going out with a steady for a while now. he's pretty straight but gay-friendly enough I'd say

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2011

That's an incredibly interesting experiment R1. I guess there are a lot of people that don't recognize talent until someone tells them to.

I bet a number of those people passing by have previously stated how brilliant they thought he was.

by Anonymousreply 510/10/2011

Any Bell thread always gets someone popping in to say that he's straight and dating a female. Is she a date or a faghag?

by Anonymousreply 610/11/2011

He "dated" Kristi Dawn a few years back. That should tell you something.

by Anonymousreply 710/11/2011

Gay/straight -- who cares? Watching that boy play the violin is a sexual experience. So hot.

by Anonymousreply 810/11/2011

Saw him on the street the other day. He wasn't looking so hot without makeup and styling.

by Anonymousreply 1010/11/2011

[quote] He could shed a few pounds around his waste,

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1110/11/2011

"He could shed a few pounds around his waste"

Shouldn't we all?

by Anonymousreply 1210/11/2011

He is raising three kids, but isn't married to the mother. That seems really irresponsible.

Or gay.

by Anonymousreply 1310/11/2011

I just wish Alasdair Fraser looked like he does but played like Fraser a wee bit.

by Anonymousreply 1410/11/2011

Sorry I meant waist.

by Anonymousreply 1510/11/2011

This is an announcement on his web site about the first child, Josef:

[quote] Many years ago I had a girlfriend named Lisa Matricardi. We were together for seven years, up until 1999. Although we are not together anymore as a couple, we have remained close and I think of her as family. A few years ago we discovered that we both had a keen interest in having a child. Of course having a child takes two people, and since neither of us had a proper ‘significant other’ up to the task, we arrived at an unconventional but certainly not unprecedented solution. We decided to try to have a child together, even though we both knew that we would be living our separate lives outside of sharing our parental responsibilities (and our deep friendship of course).

Does that seem like something that a straight man would write?

by Anonymousreply 1610/11/2011

And then, there's this:

[quote] "It's an unconventional situation," Bell admitted of the decision he and Matricardi, a longtime girlfriend and now New York City violinist, made to have a child outside marriage. "I live an unconventional life," Bell said, by way of explanation. "I didn't see any other way to do it.

[quote] "It's working out beautifully right now. It's great to have this anchor," said Bell. He doesn't live with Matricardi and Josef, but he's very much a part of his son's life.

[quote] "I get to see him every day. But I have no sleepless nights."

by Anonymousreply 1710/11/2011

His father, Alan P. Bell, was a researcher at the Kinsey Institute and an expert on homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2011

[quote]"He could shed a few pounds around his waste"

[quote]Shouldn't we all?

Yes...

by Anonymousreply 2010/11/2011

I agree, r18. Art is a two-way street. You can't just throw it at people on the subway when they're on their way to work.

But I don't think that was the writer's point: I think it was just more a piece to try to get people to think about context, which it certainly did and still does. It wasn't really a test or an experiment, in the sense that the writer wasn't trying to prove anything about commuters or Bell imho.

by Anonymousreply 2110/11/2011

I always wondered about Josh and Frankie Marino. They seem like bfs when the play together. Don't know if Frankie is gay though.

by Anonymousreply 2210/11/2011

What about Leif Ove Andsnes, the hot Norwegian pianist? Is Leif gay? He's got a BIG DICK face that just tells you that he'd be a fun fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2310/11/2011

He pings so loudly I can't believe he's NOT gay.

He was recently appointed musical director of the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, which is a fairly conservative outfit. Might that be reason enough to stay in the closet?

by Anonymousreply 2410/11/2011

he's straight, old school buddy of mine, he's straight. had a rough time in his twenties, got straightened out, is a bit on the unconventional side, but straight. lots of those in classical music.

by Anonymousreply 2510/11/2011

Maybe he was still in the closet in his 20's. I can't think of any other ambiguously-oriented man I'm surer is gay.

by Anonymousreply 2610/11/2011

you don't run in Classical music circles, lots of sexual ambiguity there, it's encouraged in fact.

by Anonymousreply 2710/11/2011

I worked in Aspen one summer at the St Regis.

Joshua stayed there for a week (on his way back from touring in Asia). He was playing at a festival in Aspen

We hung out, played golf (go figure) and messed around

He's gay (or bi)

by Anonymousreply 2810/11/2011

[quote]"I get to see him every day. But I have no sleepless nights."

Sounds like a selfish prick to me.

by Anonymousreply 2910/11/2011

Does anyone know if the children were conceived by insemination or live cover?

by Anonymousreply 3010/12/2011

When I was a baby Lesbian, so very long ago, I had a magazine subscription for "National Geographic For Kids." He was featured in that magazine one time because he truly was a child prodigy. Honest to goodness, I though him gay then, and still do now.

He pinged in print as a child!

by Anonymousreply 3110/12/2011

He still looks as if he's going to transition any minute into a woman.

by Anonymousreply 3210/12/2011

In one of the previous threads, someone wrote that he was looking like a menopausal Lesbian, and that could just see him with a fiddle in one hand and a cane in the other. I can't get that image out of my mind.

by Anonymousreply 3310/12/2011

He's ugly. Who gives a shit?

by Anonymousreply 3410/12/2011

I've worked at places that presented him and he is a TOTAL pussy hound. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 3510/12/2011

Yes he has 3 kids, but he has found someone to raise them, he isn't...but he does provide a hefty check to her. When your gone over 200 days a year, thats NOT raising kids.

Go home Josh and be the father you claim to be, crappy diapers and all.

BTW, he is gay. A "bf bought him his new black porsch.

by Anonymousreply 3601/29/2013

“You only live once, so I try to say yes to everything,” says superstar violinist Joshua Bell.

by Anonymousreply 3702/01/2013

Say yes to cock!

by Anonymousreply 3802/01/2013

I'm in the classical music "world," and it's pretty universally known that Bell is bi. A number of my friends (female and male) have been hit on by him at parties. H also has a reputation for trying to set up threesomes (or more) with partners of either or both gender.

My friends / colleagues always said they turned him down because he gave off a creepy "I'll fuck anything that moves" vibe, and because the only thing he seemed to care about when meeting new people was if they were fuckable or not.

by Anonymousreply 3902/01/2013

He's a cock/pussy hound

by Anonymousreply 4002/01/2013

[quote]it's pretty universally known that Bell is bi.

I've heard that several times.

by Anonymousreply 4102/01/2013

A thread about Jamie Bell would have been better.

by Anonymousreply 4202/01/2013

who cares? Josh is more talented

by Anonymousreply 4302/01/2013

[quote]I'm in the classical music "world,"

What have you heard about Keith Lockhart, R39?

by Anonymousreply 4402/01/2013

[quote]Sorry I meant waist.

Too late. You're illiterate.

by Anonymousreply 4502/01/2013

Keith is a schmoozer and loves attention.

by Anonymousreply 4602/02/2013

Keith has been married three times. They keep divorcing him.

by Anonymousreply 4702/02/2013

and he's not very well hung

by Anonymousreply 4802/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.