Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

California is broke/bankrupt and yet we are funding college for "illegal immigrants"

Gov. Jerry Brown signs Dream Act for state's illegal immigrants

October 8, 2011 | 12:27 pm 181676

Declaring the need to expand educational opportunity, Gov. Jerry Brown announced Saturday that he has signed legislation making illegal immigrants eligible to receive state financial aid to attend California universities and community colleges.

Brown said he signed the California Dream Act because it makes sense to allow high-achieving students access to college financial aid.

“Going to college is a dream that promises intellectual excitement and creative thinking,' Brown said in a statement. "The Dream Act benefits us all by giving top students a chance to improve their lives and the lives of all of us.'

Under AB 131, illegal immigrants who are accepted into state universities can receive, starting in 2013, Cal-Grant assistance, which last year provided grants averaging $4,500 apiece to more than 370,000 low-income students.

The measure also allows students who are not in the country legally to get institutional grants while attending the University of California and California State University systems, and to get fee waivers in the California community college system.

Brown said that California Department of Finance estimates that 2,500 students will qualify for Cal Grants as a result of AB 131, at a cost of $14.5 million.

"The overall Cal Grant program is funded at $1.4 billion, meaning that 1% of all Cal Grant funds will be potentially impacted by AB 131 when the law goes into effect,' said a statement from his office.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 5705/04/2012

In a fit of right-wing irrationality, OP wants children who immigrated with their parents to be social outcasts.

Rational people want them to be educated so they won't end up like OP.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 110/08/2011

The bill is not "funding" college for "illegal immigrants", it makes them eligible for a grant provided they are high-achieving and applying.

Resentful because YOU apparently didn't graduate?

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 210/08/2011

Is a grant not funding, r2? I'm not following you. All you seem to have learned in college was how to sneer at those supposedly less educated than yourself.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 410/08/2011

WHY HAS DATALOUNGE TURNED INTO A RIGHTWING TROLL FEST?

MEDIAPOLIS - WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

WHY ARE YOU HELLBENT ON DESTROYING WHAT DATALOUNGE WAS?

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 510/08/2011

OP should move to Alabama. He'd be happy there.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 610/08/2011

Dear r5, your caps key is stuck. It makes you seem unhinged. You're welcome.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 710/08/2011

I would love to move to Cali in the future. I am a nurse going on to be a doctor, but I feel as if I may never move to Cali, because at the rate that it's going, will America even be the place to go to in, say, 3, 4 years from now?

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 810/08/2011

i eat shit.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 910/08/2011

It's okay, OP. It' being funded by good intentions. As long as it makes you feel good, it should be done. Groceries should be free, sadly, to that end we'll have to force people to cultivate the various raw food products, make them in to different food items, transport them to the stores, stock, run the cash register, bag, and manage the stores (through forced labor/slavery, because we don't NOT believe in capitalism and no one volunteers to do it for free :( ). Because what type of evil person doesn't realize people need to eat and deny them this????? Food shouldn't cost money..and neither should education.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 1010/08/2011

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, tempest tossed, I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

OP, this is the America I know, a country lives up to it's ideal of equality. It is only being American in our most difficult times, we still hold our beliefs to our highest standards.

If this is not for you, there are plenty of countries that discriminate its minorities and deprive their rights. You should consider moving to one of those. If you are too ignorant to name those countries, let me kindly give you some hits, China, Iran, North Korea ...

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 1110/08/2011

[quote]OP should move to Alabama. He'd be happy there.

I live in Alabama. We don't want him.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 1210/08/2011

[quote]The olden days of arbitrarily marginalizing people based on skin color are over, OP

No one said anything about skin color. Why are you lying about this?

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 1310/08/2011

Op...please do us all a favor...leave this site immediately and go and join the Klan. You'll be much happier there. Until they kill YOU for being different, that is.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 1410/08/2011

R8, we don't need any more people here who refer to the state as "Cali".

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 1510/08/2011

OP doesn't believe what he says. He is just trying to get a rise out of logical, rationale people, which he seems to have accomplished.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 1610/08/2011

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free"

It's BREATHE, goddammnit. So if you need to show off your education, learn to spell.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 1710/08/2011

OP, it makes sense to educate bright people. They are the future. I'm not big on illegal immigration and would like to see it stopped. But those kids have typically been in this country for years. They were raised in this culture. It would be like shipping you to Mexico, with a "good luck". I'd consider it worth it if these brilliant kids took the education, decided to emigrate from here to their parents' country and turned things around so people there would have a good reason to stay.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 1810/08/2011

What about the funding for k-12? Free lunches and etc? Stop making things so easy for illegals, make them want to go back where they came from and apply for legal status.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 1910/08/2011

Of course,no acknowledgment of the fact that once they graduate, it's illegal to actually HIRE them...

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 2010/08/2011

Sick of illegals. We need to recall Jerry Brown.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 2110/08/2011

Most of these illegals have social security numbers and will be employable when they graduate. How do you think the CA legislature stays Democratic? The non hispanic population is more republican than Democratic, but the hispanics are 90% Democratic, so now the hispanics control the state and most of the larger mayoralty posts throughout the state. Hell half of the white population here hasn't got a pot to piss in and still votes republican, but there's no way they can add up to the majority without the hispanics. California is 40% Mexican or some other latin nationality, so all they need is 11% of the non hispanic population to vote with them, and the union workers make that up easily, so things are not going to change here in California. Illinois, Texas, New Mexico, New York City and therefore NY are in the same boat. You can add MA and RI are in the same boat.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 2210/08/2011

Why is it so hard for some assholes to understand...these "illegals" are NOT the cause of our economic problems! Bank Of America, General Electric,etc., paid ZERO taxes last year. ZERO. Most Billionaires and millionaires pay virtually nothing. Yet they can collect Social Security, and the banks had their hands-out during the bail out. If the big corporations and the billionaires paid their FAIR SHARE OF TAXES, this country would NOT be in dire straits!

Then you have the fact that the unions, which protected worker's rights, have been gutted; people's pensions have been destroyed in favor of the ponzi scheme of 401K's; people have to pay an exorbitant amount for health care, and hospitalizations wipe out people's savings; and college students are left with huge amounts of debt after graduation. Not to mention the screwing we have all taken from the banks!

There are no jobs. People are not buying things because they're afraid. People will be doing less buying soon, because the politicos are threatening to up the age of eligibility for Medicare and Social Security, further eroding any confidence people have that they can survive this economy.

Giving "illegals" a college education is a GOOD thing! We need more bright, creative people contributing to this society. An "illegal" might be the person who one day finds a cure for HIV/AIDS. Stop being so fucking stupid. Our society is being destroyed by the greedy, evil RICH, not by people struggling to have a better life.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 2310/08/2011

R21...that's how I felt about YOUR fucking ancestors, ASSHOLE. Why don't YOU leave?

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 2410/08/2011

r24 if you're truly NA your ancestors came from CHINA. Look it up "asshole".

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 2510/08/2011

OP, there is a farm in Alambama that needs your labor. Go there, they await you!

Donate. Volunteer. Vote Democratic.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 2610/08/2011

R25, did your ancestors leave their native shithole because they were persecuted and ridiculed for not knowing how to use punctuation?

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 2710/08/2011

I live in LA and I agree with the OP and I'm not a right winger either. Jerry Brown should be recalled immediately.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 2810/09/2011

R25- get the fuck off my property, you fucking piece of racist trash.

R28-where did you get the idea that all racist garbage is right-wing?

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 2910/09/2011

[R29] What the hell are you talking about. Do you speak english? Re-read my post! I never said that. Again re-read my post!!

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 3010/09/2011

[quote] I live in LA and I agree with the OP and I'm not a right winger either. Jerry Brown should be recalled immediately.

Because that worked out SOOOOO well the last time we recalled a democratic governor.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 3110/09/2011

You seem really dumb. Just because I said Jerry Brown should be recalled doesn't mean I want to vote a a racist right wing republican in office. Pull your panties out of a bunch!

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 3210/09/2011

stupid mudbloods don't deserve to go to hogwarts.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 3310/09/2011

Educating less than the truly qualified in any state or country in a major mistake. If the kid has benefitted from grade school and high school in CA, they have also paid sufficient taxes in our state to qualify for loans and or grants to go to college. The fact that they were brought here illegally was beyond these kids control. We white over wrought stupid people have to appreciate this state runs on all taxes paid, both by legitimate citizens and those here by their wits. Immigrants are often the most motivated of the country they originate.

It isn't any more costly if illegals kids qualify for loans or grants as it's all the same money, it only means those who haven't done well in high school, citizen or not have access to loans or grants they shouldn't have gotten in the first place.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 3510/09/2011

28/30/32...oh dear.

Yes, I did read your post, snookums. You are a racist piece of garbage. Not all racists are "right-wing", asshole. You are filth and trash. "Illegals" are not harming this country; it's the rich assholes who are bleeding the middle class dry who are doing that. Attacking the poor, and people struggling for a better life, might make you FEEL powerful, ASSHOLE, but really it just shows what a gutless piece of garbage YOU are. If you had any balls, you'd go after the RICH, the ones who are really ruining this country. But you're too chicken-shit to do that.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 3610/09/2011

OP, go the fuck away!!!

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 3710/09/2011

California is not broke. The problem is that halfway through the 1970's, the wealthy decided they weren't obligated to pay taxes anymore. Property taxes are artificially low, mostly because of Proposition 13.

The "illegal immigrants" becoming eligible for in-state tuition are kids who have lived in California for most of their lives. Often, they were brought here illegally, but had no say in the matter. They're Californians, they're not evil.

The people who complain about this look at life through the prism of white privilege.

The immigration system of this country works for the wealthy, but if you're poor and trying to get a low-wage job to feed your kids, nobody wants to let you stay (but you can still be my gardener, house-painter, dishwasher, busboy, fruit-picker, etc.)

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 3810/09/2011

All the wealthy I've known in California have either left already or are in the process of leaving.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 3910/09/2011

[italic]OP, this is the America I know, a country lives up to it's ideal of equality. [/italic]

*snort* You did not just type that!!!

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 4010/09/2011

[italic]Most of these illegals have social security numbers and will be employable when they graduate.[/italic]

No, they do not. My mother and my father work for Social Security. They have entire units dedicated to tracking fake SS #. They are tracked down in two seconds. The whole thing about illegal aliens paying into the system is a myth.

And to Liberals here: the illegal aliens issue is a done deal. Americans want them out. Supporting criminals is never a good political strategy. Illegals are fucking dangerous. Most of you don't live near the border.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 4110/09/2011

[quote]California is not broke. The problem is that halfway through the 1970's, the wealthy decided they weren't obligated to pay taxes anymore. Property taxes are artificially low, mostly because of Proposition 13.

proof that as california goes, so goes the country. the US isn't broke, and there is no fiscal crisis: witnessing the success theft of prop 13 in california in the 70's, the elite across the nation decided they didn't want to pay their fair share *anywhere* in the 80's and so they bought control of the congress and the media, and made their tax rates lower than the poors. it was a coupe by $$ and no one even blinked an eye.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 4210/09/2011

i live near the border, r41, and i'm certainly not scared of maids, gardeners and busboys, but i am quite scared of fascist liars and fearmongers like you.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 4310/09/2011

R17, sorry about the spelling. English is not my first language. I am still learning. I posted it in a hurry from my ipad which always autocorrect its to it's.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 4410/09/2011

Illegals paying into he system is not a myth, where does the false number money go? Full of shit r41. My company has accounted for tens of thousands paid into SS by good employees that were "found out" and fled, much to our chagrin, because of inquiry from SS.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 4510/09/2011

I know the IT consultant for a local restaurant chain. When they run their payroll, they show several people working under one SSN. Taxes are withheld and sent to the government. Some of them are paying in. I assume the same thing is going on at the meat processing plants ICE raids.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 4610/09/2011

ahh, there is so much love for illegal immigrants here on datalounge. To suggest otherwise means you are racist and dumb.

The countries they came from should have such love for their illegal immigrants.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 4710/09/2011

46-

Please tell your friend the IT consultant that he/she is obligated to report SS fraud or be prosecuted as well.

And a shout out to the lovely poster who defended giving scholarships and grant money to non-citizens illegally in this country rather than legal citizens who are 'too dumb' (my phrase)to recieve financial help. I bet you think you're not biased in any way.

We are the only country who actively supports and incourages illegal status with regard to citizenship.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 4810/09/2011

Well well. The left right gay bitchfest is in full bloom!. It's nice all gay people don't think alike.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 4910/09/2011

Chingame, OP.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 5010/09/2011

i am a student at a junior college and cant get a cal-grant because i am white and am $200 over the cut off....thats bs.....illegals are going to get the grant because their illegals i cant because of $200.....my dad pays taxes in ca. and i deserve helpore than someone who was brought here by there parents....take the family go back to mexico and have mexico pay for your tuition and let me get what my dad pays taxes for....

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 5110/10/2011

Funny how you racist twats get [bold]SO[/bold] much more upset over undocumented people than over the Austrian fuckwit who bankrupted your state.

If you want to spend your life clueless about who'e really fucking you up the ass, I don't really care. Still.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 5210/10/2011

Thanks Jerry. Good timing. This will certainly help with the CA vote next year.

PS. Aren't you a homo?

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 5310/10/2011

This article is infuriating:

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 5405/04/2012

Business can't exploit blacks anymore, so they now have illegals.

And the government helps any way it can -- before, it was counting slaves a 3/5 of a person so the South could sent more reps to Congress. Now, the government subsidizes an illegal work force.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 5505/04/2012

R55--you've got it. Exactly. The U.S. won't enforce the law; neither will it grant amnesty. It want an intimidated workforce willing to work for peanuts; and it's willing to allow the middle class to pay the taxes that support their illegal workforce's food stamps, public housing, public education, etc. Mexico wants the U.S. to act as its steam valve so its "huddled masses" don't revolt.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 5605/04/2012

"Is a grant not funding, [R2]? I'm not following you. All you seem to have learned in college was how to sneer at those supposedly less educated than yourself."

Don't try and be cute, [R4], your alarmist headline was designed to give a false impression making it sound like illegal immigrants can go to college for free. It's only for a few high-achievers, and crikey, the US NEEDS academic high achievers. I don't sneer at less educated people but I do sneer at fools like you.

by Way to go, Jerry.................................NOTreply 5705/04/2012
Need more help? Click Here.