Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Stewart Granger

He certainly wasn't the best actor in the movies but certainly was one of the best looking.

by Anonymousreply 3212/08/2012

OP, don't be such a lazy slob with your threads. You are clearly new here, so you should know that you need to include a pic when posting about people that most people don't know.

This thread will die a quick death and now you'll know why.

by Anonymousreply 110/08/2011

Don't worry OP, I got'cha back!

by Anonymousreply 210/08/2011

Is he related to Hermione?

by Anonymousreply 310/08/2011

OP, I think you're confusing Stewart Granger with Farley Granger.

r2's picture is Stewart Granger. Did you mean him, or did you mean Farley Granger (see photo at my link)?

by Anonymousreply 410/08/2011

This entire thread sounds like an argument in the TV room of a nursing home.

by Anonymousreply 510/08/2011

by Anonymousreply 610/08/2011

[quote]Is he related to Hermione?

Gingold, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 710/08/2011

Could someone please fuck r5? He sounds bitter and left-out and lonely, like he's not had sex in years.

What, no one wants to? Well, I guess I can't blame you.

by Anonymousreply 810/08/2011

I enjoy Stewart Granger movies. I will never forget him as 'Scaramouche'. He has played in so many good films and the funny is that he never was satisfied with his career. I found it very interesting and surprising when i came upon this on IMDB for Stewart Granger:

'Though he was candid in his disgust with his whole career - and admittedly he did not have the depth for the range of roles allotted to bigger named actors - nonetheless he always turned in solid performances in the roles that became his legacy.'

He had depth actually. He was just too stubborn to admit it on public (he had to face his own issues and demons) and just kept on appearing as an arrogant, stuck-up man, when in fact, he was more than that.

by Anonymousreply 912/08/2012

R9 I love him in " Scaramouche" - in fact I love the whole movie -fast paced- excellent sword fights- and very witty. Granger's best film. Another movie that I just happened to watch on TCM one rainy Sunday and now love. Not deep or profound but highly enjoyable!

by Anonymousreply 1012/08/2012

Yes, he is so memorable for 'Scaramouche'. I also favour 'Scaramouche' over his other movies mostly for sentimental reasons.

However he was excellent in 'Saraband for Dead Lovers' too. A great movie as well. Other Stewart Granger movies that i like are: 'Footsteps in the Fog', 'Young Bess', 'The Prisoner of Zenda' and...'Sodom and Gomorrah'! Lol, don't shoot me, but i liked him as Lot!

There are some rumors that he had an homosexual affair with Michael Wilding, his friend and Elizabeth Taylor's second husband.

by Anonymousreply 1112/08/2012

Stewart his second wife,actress Jean Simmons and their fluffy dog.

by Anonymousreply 1212/08/2012

He was a handsome man. I believe he was bisexual if not gay. There are certain vibes in him and some facts that if you connect them with the rumors about him...well, it fits.

by Anonymousreply 1312/08/2012

With Pier Angeli in 'Light Touch'. Pier played with him also in Sodom and Gomorrah. She was very beautiful in it.

by Anonymousreply 1412/08/2012

Stewart in 'Captain Boycotte'.

by Anonymousreply 1512/08/2012

Poor Jean Simmons! Look what he is doing to her!

A candid photo. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 1612/08/2012

Pretty photo. He is with Deborah Kerr on the left. On his right it's Jane Greer with James Mason. They pose for the movie 'The Prisoner of Zenda'.

by Anonymousreply 1712/08/2012

He seems great in this photo and...yes lovely!

by Anonymousreply 1812/08/2012

Has anybody of you seen 'The Little Hut' with him and gorgeous Ava Gardner? I haven't yet, and i would love to take an opinion from someone about it.

by Anonymousreply 1912/08/2012

R13, again I quote Darwin Porter. He and Michael Wilding were quite an item.

by Anonymousreply 2012/08/2012

I saw "The Little Hut" about 1000 years ago when I was 15 and CBS was playing a lot of B-pictures late at night. Ava Gardner was very pretty--that's about all I remember. The play on which the film was based was an adaption by Nancy Mitford of an earlier French play---I'd like to see it again if only to listen for her contributions.

by Anonymousreply 2112/08/2012

W&W for R5

by Anonymousreply 2212/08/2012

R21, you are very lucky that you have seen it. Actually i want to see so many old films and i don't find them easily available.

R20, below there is a photo of Granger with Elizabeth Taylor and Michael Wilding.

Taylor and Granger played together in the period drama 'Beau Brummell'. As it seems in this photo, Wilding paid a visit to his wife and to his friend...

by Anonymousreply 2312/08/2012

R19, The Little Hut was a delightful, lightweight movie that came across like a Noël Coward drawing room comedy of manners set on a deserted island. Granger played a handsome pompous oaf (no great stretch there), Gardner was the ravishing love interest of two friendly rivals, and David Niven was the charming third wheel desperate to take more of a central role in Gardner's life.

by Anonymousreply 2412/08/2012

R24, from your description it seems entertaining. Well, i'll keep an eye open for it!

by Anonymousreply 2512/08/2012

His real name was James Stewart, but he had to change it for obvious reasons.

And why hasn't anyone mentioned "King Solomon's Mines" yet?

by Anonymousreply 2612/08/2012

R26, great photo. Yes, that was a good movie too, you are damn right!

by Anonymousreply 2712/08/2012

Gardner and Granger in "Bhowani Junction." God that woman was gorgeous! The borracha!

by Anonymousreply 2812/08/2012

[quote] In biographies, Gardner, Niven and Granger (real name Jimmy Stewart!) all disparaged The Little Hut, possibly feeling a need to distance themselves from the fact that it was an ignominious flop. Granger and Gardner became pals during Bhowani Junction. Neither wanted to do this film, but neither wanted to face a suspension from MGM. Additionally, Granger fussed over the possibility of being upstaged by Niven's mustache, which he claimed Niven played like a scene-stealing fiddle.

by Anonymousreply 2912/08/2012

Well R29, it happens sometimes the actors to loath some of their movies that the audiences enjoyed and liked. It's not a rare a phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 3012/08/2012

*it's not a rare phenomenon

by Anonymousreply 3112/08/2012

Looks like Jimmy Stewart and Liberace had an ass baby.

by Anonymousreply 3212/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!