Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Miss Rosalind Russell

Will be accepting for Helen Hayes.

Poor Roz. Girl was tripping all over herself trying to get to that stage. Was she drunk?

by Anonymousreply 11810/10/2013

Roz Russell suffered from crippling arthritis in her later years. Her swollen face is probably evidence of the steroid injections they were treating it with. Notice how she is chaperoned from seat to stage by a pair of ushers. She was probably slightly doped on painkillers. Once she got moving she fairly glided across the stage.

Poor Roz was one of those with many competitive Oscar nominations but no wins.

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2011

SHE WAS DYING OF CANCER!

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2011

She was truly loved by all her colleagues in Hollywood. It was her husband, producer Freddie Brisson who was the monster....or bad cop, if you will.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2011

Lola Falona?!?!

Karen Black was robbed!!!

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2011

i love how Lola Falana has that "actory" voice where the "R" sound is dropped at the end of words- "Mis-tah" "a-wohd", etc.

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2011

"She was truly loved by all her colleagues in Hollywood. It was her husband, producer Freddie Brisson who was the monster....or bad cop, if you will."

If you care to read up on her life and career, it turns out that although she had a fair amount of innate talent -- especially as a comedian -- she (1) had no idea of her limitations (see GYPSY, MOURNING BECOME ELECTRA); (2) had very poor instincts when it came to what worked or didn't work on film and stage; (3) was a ruthless egomaniac and a diva; and (4) was an absolute pig in taking roles that rightfully belonged to others (see again the GYPSY movie).

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2011

She crossed the street in front of my car once near the end. I felt so badly for her. She was being assisted but was in obvious pain, yet obviously wanted to get outdoors and be active. Loved her in everything she did.

by Anonymousreply 710/07/2011

I love that the old actors and actresses pronounced certain words in a theatrical (?) way or is it some kind of regional accent? For instance, the word heart pronounced as haaht.

Did they all take the same diction classes?

by Anonymousreply 810/07/2011

I also love that the other nominees are not playing to the cameras. They could care less that their names are being announced.

by Anonymousreply 910/07/2011

R9, the correct phrase is "couldn't care less."

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2011

Why does someone on DL always have to put down whoever or whatever is being discussed? Could it be true that Derek and Ryan are on DL?

by Anonymousreply 1110/07/2011

Rosalind was very charming in the clip.

by Anonymousreply 1210/07/2011

I loved HIS GIRL FRIDAY. The banter was constant. Somewhere I read that the dialogue in HIS GIRL FRIDAY was at a faster clip than just about any other movie at the time. Rosalind and Cary Grant were a great combo in this delightful 40's comedy. I know, I know....some of the NOW generation won't watch it because it is in black & white. Sigh.....

by Anonymousreply 1310/07/2011

You're a crackpot, OP. She wasn't the least drunk, was trying to be effecient and was totally gracious.

by Anonymousreply 1410/07/2011

With George Raft in 'It Had to Happen'

She plays the piano...

by Anonymousreply 1502/20/2013

Russell always had a mixed reputation, but many loved her (as a person), with all the blame going to Brisson, who was known as "The Lizard of Roz."

She was VERY hurt not to get the Oscar, especially for MOURNING BECOMES ELECTRA.

by Anonymousreply 1602/20/2013

That usher was there to help everyone. He was surprised at how fast she went. I love her speech "...most of our hearts" MEEEOOOWWW!

by Anonymousreply 1702/20/2013

"Roz Russell suffered from crippling arthritis"

RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS

by Anonymousreply 1802/20/2013

She was a terrific Mother Superior.

by Anonymousreply 1902/20/2013

Lol R19. Certainly she was!

by Anonymousreply 2002/20/2013

Auntie Mame is one of my 5 favorite movies. I always thought Patrick would turn out gay.

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2013

Love Roz. WTF is Lola Falana hosting the Oscars for? I realize that they tried to push her on us just like they tried to push Susan Anton forever, but really?

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2013

Lee Grant was beautiful here.

by Anonymousreply 2302/20/2013

Some did, r8, but it didn't always help.

by Anonymousreply 2402/20/2013

Pretty damn good in the TV version (on kinescope) of the musical WONDERFUL TOWN as Ruth Sherwood, a role she originally did on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 2502/20/2013

Back when I first saw Auntie Mame hearing the boy was sent to a progressive school where no one wore clothes always made my crotch stir. I've wondered if it originally was Patrick was gay and he was made straight for the film.

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2013

R21, in reality, he did.

by Anonymousreply 2702/20/2013

[quote]I've wondered if it originally was Patrick was gay and he was made straight for the film.

The whole story of Auntie Mame involves lots of projection and wishful thinking on the part of its then-closeted gay author. The author bases Mame on himself if only he were a rich, attractive, single woman from a more stylish era than his own. He names the kid after himself but completely re-casts him as a red-blooded, all-American boy thrust into the homo-erotic atmosphere of private schools for privileged young men. The original work is tainted with occasional homophobic slurs that are supposed to throw unsuspecting readers off the scent of one of the gayest novels ever written.

by Anonymousreply 2802/20/2013

She should have won Best Suporting Actress for The Women in 1939 but wasn't even nominated. Hattie won for GWTW, of course.

In those days, a star like Russell would never have been considered for the Supporting Category, like it was an insult.

Almost 20 years ater, she might have won Best Supporting Actress for Picnic but, I believe, wouldn't allow herself to be considered in that category again.

So.....competitive Oscar-less.

by Anonymousreply 2902/21/2013

R29 you are right!

Below Rosalind Russell with Jimmy Stewart

by Anonymousreply 3002/21/2013

Roz also seemed to be more of an independent contractor rather than signed to long term contracts at any one studio.

So she didn't have that necessary studio support and much like Cary Grant, Irene Dunne and Barbara Stanwyck, no competitive Oscars for her.

by Anonymousreply 3102/21/2013

This is off-topic, but what makes you guys think Patrick Dennis would "TURN OUT GAY" as if his anything his Auntie Mame would do and attending a progressive school where children go naked could make him gay?!

I've never heard of anything so preposterous!

I'm now a bit curious as to how many of you think you were born with your sexual orientation versus some other explanation.

by Anonymousreply 3202/21/2013

She was way out of her depth in MOURNING BECOMES ELECTRA.

by Anonymousreply 3302/21/2013

Roz doing Rose's Turn from Gypsy (with vocals dubbed with Ethel Merman's vocals)

by Anonymousreply 3402/21/2013

Joan Crawford and Rosalind Russell in 'The Women'

Nice!

by Anonymousreply 3502/22/2013

Joan looks fabulous there, R35.

by Anonymousreply 3602/22/2013

R36 yes she does. However, what a pity that Rosalind didn't share the same bathtub with Joan in that photo.

Below there is a photo of Joan Crawford and Rosalind Russell, 1960s.

Those oldies but goodies...

:)

by Anonymousreply 3702/22/2013

Rosalind Russell with Loretta Young

by Anonymousreply 3802/22/2013

Not the most flattering angle for Rosalind in R37's link but Joan looks just like Sophia Loren in that pic. You would never've believed she was a day over 45.

by Anonymousreply 3902/22/2013

Loretta Young, Rosalind Russell and Fred Brisson Chatting at Testimonial Dinner for Louella Parsons

by Anonymousreply 4002/22/2013

Hmm ok R39...here is a more flattering profile of Miss Rosalind Russell

by Anonymousreply 4102/22/2013

and of course this one...

Hehehe

by Anonymousreply 4202/22/2013

I find it totally cool that she was married for life with the same man. What a refreshing change for Hollywood. Most of the Hollywood actors and actresses don't stay with the same partner for life.

With her hubby Frederick Brisson below

by Anonymousreply 4302/22/2013

Rosalind with her bulldog. What a doggie! (1940s)

by Anonymousreply 4402/22/2013

With Edith Adams in 'Wonderful Town'

by Anonymousreply 4502/22/2013

In 'Design for Scandal' with Walter Pidgeon.

Love her glance here. Lolz

by Anonymousreply 4602/22/2013

One more. She grows on me.

by Anonymousreply 4702/22/2013

[quote]You would never've believed she was a day over 45.

Or 55.

by Anonymousreply 4802/22/2013

Roz was much beloved by her colleagues in Hollywood because, among other attributes, she was genuinely smart and witty, which was somewhat of a rarity in actresses in those days.

But unlike Bette Davis and Kate Hepburn, who were also smart and witty, she was a generous, caring and accessible personality.

by Anonymousreply 4902/22/2013

R33) Russell's lost for "Mourning Becomes Electra" was at the time considered one of the bigger upsets in Oscar history. Apparently, most everyone expected her to win, even Loretta Young, who won for "The Farmer's Daughter." I don't think Russell was that bad in the film, but the film itself if fairly weak, based as it is on one of O'Neill's weaker plays.

by Anonymousreply 5002/22/2013

She was great in Monsters Inc.!

by Anonymousreply 5102/22/2013

[quote]She was truly loved by all her colleagues in Hollywood.

No. Not all of them.

by Anonymousreply 5202/22/2013

Her husband, Fredrick Brisson,was supposedly an A-1 asshole. He was bad cop, to Roz's good. It's said he earned his nick-name in Hollywood, - 'The Lizard Of Roz'

by Anonymousreply 5302/22/2013

Link to Edie Adams bad-mouthing Roz, please.

by Anonymousreply 5402/22/2013

Supposedly she was a devout Catholic, which explains her lack of divorces (and illegitimate children and yes, I'm looking at you, Loretta.)

by Anonymousreply 5502/22/2013

Yes Roz was not one to sleep around.

by Anonymousreply 5602/22/2013

Was her husband gay?

Was her son gay?

by Anonymousreply 5702/22/2013

She's lovely and even somewhat of a geeky ingenue in the mid-30s thriller Night Must Fall with Robert Montgomery and Dame May Whitty, based on the hit play.

She plays a kind of proto-Nancy Drew type ferreting out a murderer in an English village.

I don't why she's not more adored by the gays, considering she starred in all the favorites: Gypsy, The Women, Auntie Mame and The Trouble with Angels, not to mention the genuinely brilliant His Girl Friday.

by Anonymousreply 5802/22/2013

[quote]If you care to read up on her life and career, it turns out that although she had a fair amount of innate talent -- especially as a comedian -- she (1) had no idea of her limitations (see GYPSY, MOURNING BECOME ELECTRA); (2) had very poor instincts when it came to what worked or didn't work on film and stage; (3) was a ruthless egomaniac and a diva; and (4) was an absolute pig in taking roles that rightfully belonged to others (see again the GYPSY movie).

You are a HORRIBLE human being.

by Anonymousreply 5902/22/2013

Grew up loving her in all the old movies. Found her completely believable in her roles. Also have always thought she was gay.

by Anonymousreply 6002/23/2013

Is she the former first lady to Jimmy Carter?

by Anonymousreply 6102/23/2013

R61 i have no idea, what are you talking about hon?

by Anonymousreply 6202/23/2013

Rosalind Russell as Hedda Gabler

by Anonymousreply 6302/23/2013

She looks beautiful

by Anonymousreply 6402/23/2013

With Bette Davis!

by Anonymousreply 6502/23/2013

She was beautiful when she was younger, wasn't she?

by Anonymousreply 6602/23/2013

With Clark Gable in 'They Met in Bombay'

by Anonymousreply 6702/23/2013

With Joan Crawford in 'The Women' again, same scene, different moment...

More close this time

Lol...

by Anonymousreply 6802/23/2013

Winsome Rosalind Russell

by Anonymousreply 6902/23/2013

Somewhere in her mind...

by Anonymousreply 7002/23/2013

Trivia about Miss Rosalind Russell

Cary Grant, introduced her to her future husband and was the best man at their wedding.

Helped Van Johnson overcome his fear of live audiences after goading him into performing in nightclubs. He made his Las Vegas debut in the 1950s.

She was notorious for skipping class and sneaking off to a movie (often without paying).

by Anonymousreply 7102/23/2013

Many of you here may know this bit of trivia, but in regard to that scene from THE WOMEN with Roz and Joan seen in r68's photo:

In the original 1936 Broadway play of the same, the Joan character (Crystal Allen) was played by a blonde actress. When she emerged from the soapy tub, the Roz character (Sylvia Potter) remarked: "Why Crystal, I always thought you were a natural blonde!"

Now, I'm not sure how they dealt with the stage actress' apparent nudity but that line must have been pretty racy for its time.

Unsurprisingly, Joan was not made a blonde for the film version, as the comic line never would have passed the film censors, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 7302/23/2013

Also, I think THE WOMEN pretty much saved Roz's career in Hollywood. Until then she was a not very successful leading lady throughout the 1930s...difficult to cast because she wasn't as pretty or sexy as most of her colleagues.

She campaigned for the role of Sylvia Fowler (sorry, got the last name wrong above), even though friends warned her it was a supporting character part, because she knew she could steal the film with it.

Her brilliant comic timing in THE WOMEN led directly to her being cast the next year as Hildy Johnson in Howard Hawks' HIS GIRL FRIDAY, establishing her finally as the top leading lady of screwball comedies of the decade.

by Anonymousreply 7402/23/2013

r72? Uppity black woman? You've just ensured no one (with any character) will start a thread for you, motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 7502/23/2013

[quote]she was a not very successful leading lady throughout the 1930s.

Because she wouldn't sleep with the director.

[quote]Her brilliant comic timing in THE WOMEN led directly to her being cast the next year as Hildy Johnson in Howard Hawks' HIS GIRL FRIDAY,

She finally wised up and used the casting couch.

by Anonymousreply 7602/23/2013

[quote]Link to Edie Adams bad-mouthing Roz, please.

Go read Adams' autobiography. She has two or three pages about Russell screwing her over re the TV version of Wonderful Town. The same way she screwed over Lawrence and Lee for the movie version of Auntie Mame. She had wanted the producers to close Auntie Mame on Broadway when she left (to do the film) so there would be no other Broadway Mame but her. The producers instead, decided to recast (Greer Garson, Beatrice Lillie) and in fact added seven more months to the run. Lawrence and Lee had sided with the producers on the issue, so Roz refused to let them do the movie.

She could be vicious when she wanted to, and she definitely had a sense of "star" - old-school. She wasn't the angel everyone on this thread is implying.

by Anonymousreply 7702/23/2013

[quote]Now, I'm not sure how they dealt with the stage actress' apparent nudity but that line must have been pretty racy for its time.

The same way they do in the movie. Crystal's ornate bathtub is ringed with a wrap-around curtain that drops into place when she pulls a chain. The actress playing Sylvia stands far enough upstage to see Crystal emerge through a part in the curtain that faces away from the audience. Only in the movie, Crystal never rises from the tub.

by Anonymousreply 7802/24/2013

What would Joan Rivers have said about that black dress she wore to the Oscars in OP's clip?

by Anonymousreply 7902/24/2013

What is your opinion about 'His Girl Friday'

Overrated for some, what do you think?

by Anonymousreply 8002/24/2013

Why was Lola Falana presenting at the Oscars? Was she a film actress? I thought she was just a dancer.

Poor Roz really suffered from "champagne chin" in her later years.

by Anonymousreply 8102/24/2013

[quote]Someone should start a thread about Rose Lynn Carter.

Oh, dear.

[quote]She was awesome as a first lady. She knew how to behave.

Actually, at the time she was much criticized for being (to use your word) "uppity," given that insisted on attending her husband's cabinet meetings.

by Anonymousreply 8202/24/2013

R82, it wasn't so much a case of her being thought "uppity" as it was thought inappropriate for a person who was not elected to serve the public in any capacity horning in on cabinet meetings. No other members of the cabinet brought their wives. It made Carter look pussy-whipped.

Carter sent Rosalyn in his place to attend some sort of conference in Latin America which was considered a great insult to them, as if the president considered himself too important to deal with the dignitaries of lesser nations. As with so many of Carter's gestures, it was meant to convey good will and only made him look foolish.

by Anonymousreply 8302/24/2013

His Girl Friday absolutely still stands as a comic masterpiece and Roz and Cary and all those great character actors can never be topped in that style of humor.

Brilliant script and direction and yet it all is acted as if they were improvising it on the spot.

They just don't make them like that any more.

I feel the same about Bringing Up Baby, also by Howard Hawks, yet that one does sometimes seem to irk some people....why, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 8402/24/2013

Rosalind Russell, Greer Garson & Merle Oberon

by Anonymousreply 8503/18/2013

How come and there are lesbian rumors about Miss Rosalind Russell?

by Anonymousreply 8610/10/2013

I need to know seriously! Beyond her great acting, i loved her legs in 'The Women'. Sexy!

by Anonymousreply 8710/10/2013

I need English subtitles for her movies 'Sister Kenny' and 'The Guilt of Janet Ames'

I NEEEEEEED THEM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBADLY!

by Anonymousreply 8810/10/2013

Rosalind Russell with close friend Loretta Young

by Anonymousreply 8910/10/2013

Playing baseball in Wichita, Kansas, for a charity helping Kansas after a bad tornado

by Anonymousreply 9010/10/2013

Rosalind Russell and Freddie Brisson’s 25th anniversary party, hosted by Frank Sinatra

by Anonymousreply 9110/10/2013

Considering the very brief marriages of 2 of those couple in r91's link, it's pretty easy to date that photo!

by Anonymousreply 9210/10/2013

“I’ll match my flops with anybody’s but I wouldn’t have missed ‘em.” ~ Rosalind Russell

“Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.” ~ Rosalind Russell

by Anonymousreply 9310/10/2013

Who ate more puss - Roz or Mercedes?

by Anonymousreply 9410/10/2013

I want those earrings OP!

by Anonymousreply 9510/10/2013

Joan both i hope!

by Anonymousreply 9610/10/2013

"His Girl Friday" is far and away the best version of "The Front Page".

by Anonymousreply 9710/10/2013

A thread about one of my favorites? Damn she was good, and to my mind, very UNDERrated. No one could've done "His Girl Friday" as well. She held her own against Cary Grant, an exceptional scene stealer. Many of us are aware that the studio system used to bring along certain actors, who very closely resembled established stars, e.g. Ruth Roman as a pretender to the throne of Ava Gardner. I always figured that Roz was a latter-day Myrna Loy, not in every aspect, but close enough.Loved RR in "Sister Kenny" and of course, "Auntie Mame." I believe I'm one of the very few who says she was the best Mama Rose. Few can play desperation like Miss Russell. If she had done her own singing in "Gypsy", more would agree with me. Not a big fan of her role in "Picnic" though, too old for the part, but then, several in the cast were as well. Another of my faves, "A Majority of One," I've seen many times, and she gets better in it with each viewing. I wonder what Alec Guiness thought of their collaboration? Three cheers to Rosiland Russell.

by Anonymousreply 9810/10/2013

God R98, i'm so jealous of you! I want like hell to see 'Sister Kenny'! I wonder why there are no subtitles for this movie. It seems to be a great film.

*sighs

by Anonymousreply 9910/10/2013

I have her in my FiOS search and have seen so many obscure things on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 10010/10/2013

Roz in "Craig's Wife" - brilliant and chilling.

by Anonymousreply 10110/10/2013

I agree, r101, she had it all over Crawford. r98, It IS a good film, but the theme(polio) makes it very "icky" for a lot of people. Keep looking for it.

by Anonymousreply 10210/10/2013

R98 said he loved Sister Kenny.

I saw it, too, and it could have been icky but turned out to be pretty good, and based on a true story. Most of the uncomfortable moments are off-screen, of course.

by Anonymousreply 10310/10/2013

So much criticism for Rosalind Russell (Is she drunk? On painkillers? Look at that double chin!) and nary a word about Gig Young in the same clip? The guy killed his bride of only three weeks and then himself...surely that's a better subject for gossip than an aging star who was taking steroids at the time to battle her rheumatoid arthritis.

by Anonymousreply 10410/10/2013

Roz was a classy dame.

by Anonymousreply 10510/10/2013

[quote]I believe I'm one of the very few who says she was the best Mama Rose. Few can play desperation like Miss Russell. If she had done her own singing in "Gypsy", more would agree with me.

I agree that she is a superior actress to Ethel Merman. But her singing is beyond awful. You can hear her original attempts to perform the songs on YouTube. She is inept to the point of absurdity. If all her vocals had remained on the soundtrack, the movie would be unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 10610/10/2013

With auto tune, echo etc. they could probably make her vocals work well enough (not great, but still).

by Anonymousreply 10710/10/2013

No, R107, she has a thin and flat voice and she can't sustain a tone for more than one beat. She was utterly incapable and no amount of auto-tuning can fix that.

Roz owed her success in the Broadway musical WONDERFUL TOWN to the songwriters who gave her patter numbers that she could talk her way through. Even then, her voice is just a gravelly bark. She managed to bray her way softly (and flatly) through a low harmony line consisting of about three notes in the "Ohio" ballad, but that's it.

The role of Rose calls for full-out, no-holds-barred singing and Roz simply didn't have it. She should have known better than to think she could bluster her way through a demanding score like that. She refused to record her tracks in advance of filming. She probably didn't dare lip-sync because that would mean having to listen to her own horrible voice in front of the cast and crew. Lisa Kirk, brought in after the filming to dub most of the vocals, was forced to match Russell's scatter-shot phrasing.

by Anonymousreply 10810/10/2013

I find Tyne Daly unlistenable but she got a Tony, so top-notch vocals aren't essential (though preferable) for the part.

by Anonymousreply 10910/10/2013

She pinged!

by Anonymousreply 11010/10/2013

Christine Jorgenson share the same (later) speaking voice. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 11110/10/2013

r106 r108 My apologies to you both, and please bear with me, I guess I didn't explain myself as thoroughly as I should have. I MEANT to say that if RR had been a much better singer, and, coupled with her fine performance, more people would agree that she was the best Rose. Unfortunately, her voice wasn't up to the standard needed for the film, and I think that's why some people denigrate her performance, BECAUSE she couldn't, and didn't, do her own singing. How would you rate her acting in the role? Meh? Fair? Good? Very good? Out of all the Rose's you may have seen, how does she rank? I realize it IS a musical, but you still have to have good acting chops to pull off such a role.

by Anonymousreply 11210/10/2013

Roz was fine as Rose apart from Rose's Turn, where she resorts to mad "darting eyes" acting ("Mama... mama?")

Lansbury is the gold standard.

by Anonymousreply 11310/10/2013

I love Roz. I read her autobiography, Life's a Banquet, YEARS ago--found it in my grandmother's library. Didn't even really know much about her then, but I liked reading about her. I'd like to read it again.

I don't know much about Gig Young--remember him being in some scandal, appears he did a murder/suicide? He seems like a REAL asshole in that clip.

by Anonymousreply 11410/10/2013

about Gig Young R114, he was a sad case. Once a good actor, married to Elizabeth Montgomery, he had a huge depression and alcohol problem. He was replaced as The Waco Kid in "Blazing Saddles" because of his alcoholism, and in 1978 shot his young wife, then himself.

by Anonymousreply 11510/10/2013

Just because....

This was in 1953 while she was in rehearsals for WONDERFUL TOWN. Long before Auntie Mame and Momma Rose.

by Anonymousreply 11610/10/2013

yes OP I agree you're reaching desperately for something critical to say. I thought she was gracious and graceful. Her adult son was interviewed for American Masters on PBS, he had only good things to say about her. He was very proud of her.

by Anonymousreply 11710/10/2013

[quote]How would you rate her acting in the role? Meh? Fair? Good? Very good?

Her acting is very good indeed. I love Rosalind Russell's work in most of her movies. But I still wish she had not made GYPSY.

by Anonymousreply 11810/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.