Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do people in the Twin Cities have Minnesota accents?

One poster in the "Minneapolis" thread keeps insisting multiple times that people in Minneapolis and St. Paul do not have Minnesota accents, and that the accent is only a feature of people in rural parts of the state.

So the only way to settle this is the way we settle everything: with a poll.

Please only post from experience: that is, if you have yourself actually visited Minneapolis and/or Saint Paul.

by Anonymousreply 2111/07/2011

Poll was somehow fucked up. Argh.

by Anonymousreply 110/02/2011

Some do. Some don't. But you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 210/02/2011

Occasionally you'll hear some "O" sounds that are different, but otherwise there's not much difference from California, Michigan, or Oregon. Pretty standard newscaster-speak.

by Anonymousreply 310/02/2011

People who grow up in urban areas in MN do not have the thick accent-- I grew up there and it's just a fact... sort of like in the hick southern towns how you can barely understand people b/c their accent is so thick. Sorry Southern Queens, but I speaka da truth!

by Anonymousreply 410/02/2011

Now if you would have said Duluth, OP...

by Anonymousreply 510/02/2011

Some do. Some do not.

Just like any other place as a function of it's recognized accent.

Also Minneapolis is teeming with people from elsewhere in the Upper Midwest who have precisely what you are referring to as a Minnesota accent in spite of the fact that many of them are from surrounding states.

by Anonymousreply 610/02/2011

I am from Oregon, and dated a guy from st Paul years ago. I brought him home to meet friends and family, and several people asked what country he was from. Seriously, it was like another language at times.

by Anonymousreply 710/02/2011

[quote]Based on your actual personal experience in Minneapolis-Saint Paul, do people who live there speak

Do you have to remind them that they're all mutes.

by Anonymousreply 810/02/2011

I'm from the deep South. I'm dismayed by the noise I hear when people from Minnesota speak. However, that accent isn't nearly as dreadful as that demonstrated by people from Ohio.

Cue for someone to post that people from Ohio don't have accents. Cue for me to respond that darling, they do, they do...

by Anonymousreply 910/02/2011

You betcha!

by Anonymousreply 1010/02/2011

r7, I've lived in Eugene and the twin cites area (Edina) and I'd say that's nonsense. I went to UST for 2 years and never noticed a significant accent. Now there is that thing where "about" sometimes becomes "abote" but it was pretty rare.

by Anonymousreply 1110/02/2011

r9 you're from the south and think Ohio has an accent? I guess you also think concert pianists play badly because they don't play like you, right?

by Anonymousreply 1210/02/2011

There are so many words that they pronounce differently, and some that I have never heard of. For example, they call rubber bands 'binders'. Dinner is 'supper'. Your family are your 'folks', and yes the o's are all fucked up. Abote is a word, and even the word Minnesota becomes minnesooooooota. That being said, they are the nicest people on the planet, at least to your face.

by Anonymousreply 1310/02/2011

[quote]R9] you're from the south and think Ohio has an accent?

That awful flat whine. How nice for you that you don't hear it.

by Anonymousreply 1410/02/2011

Yes, many Twin Cities people have an accent. It's not as pronounced as in Northern Minnesota, but it exists.

Same in Wisconsin (north/south).

Same in many places. Yes, Ohioans have accents, depending on what part of Ohio. There's what's commonly referred to as the Pittsburghese accent, which stretches to eastern Ohio and West Virginia. Southwestern Ohioans have something more akin to Southern accents, and the rest tend to lean towards the Chicago/Indiana accent.

Regional accents are kind of interesting to me. I worked for AT&T about 15 years ago in college and got to the point where I could tell the differences.

The New York, Philly, NJ and Baltimore accents are similar but have their own differences.

Same with southern accents. Texas/OK is different than Arkansas, which is different than LA/Alabama, which is different than Georgia, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1510/02/2011

Listen to Nick Starcevic from Big Brother. The only bit of Minnesota I hear in his speech are in the o's. And he has a bit of gayvoice going on.

by Anonymousreply 1610/02/2011

I can easily notice southern accents. Same with Boston, NYC, some of NJ and other New England areas. But the rest of the US sounds mostly alike, like every actor on TV. If there are variations in those regions, it must be very subtle.

by Anonymousreply 1710/02/2011

Most of the people who live there have no idea they have an accent. I saw Fargo in the theater three times - in the heart of Uptown. Each time, at the end, at least one voice piped up in the heaviest of Minnesotan cadences..."ohmigod, we don't talk that way."

by Anonymousreply 1810/02/2011

The people little houses, all of them.

by Anonymousreply 1910/03/2011

Thank you, r18, for brightening my day. I can hear it perfectly, ESPECIALLY the "ohmigod." Especially that.

by Anonymousreply 2010/03/2011

I live in the Metro now, but I grew up in Ely...and I can tell u, NO ONE down here can hold a candle to how thick my accent is, I get mistaken for a Swedish guy FAR to often in other parts of the US...

by Anonymousreply 2111/07/2011
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!