Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Country Singer Toby Keith on Gay Marriage and DADT

He's a white trash-country boy, so he opposes gay marriage and also the service of homosexuals in the military.

Oh, wait....

"That whole gay issue thing, that's never bothered me," (Toby Keith) told CMT Insider correspondent Allison DeMarcus. "I've never seen what that affects and why anybody should care -- and they never do affect me."

He continued, "First of all, we're going to stop somebody from getting a marriage license because they're gay? You won't stop them from living together, so what have you accomplished? ... Wasting a lot of money here and a lot of time that could be spent working on this deficit that we're under ... I never saw the reasoning behind getting in people's personal lives."

Keith went on to say, "But the military is a tough thing. I don't worry as much about the heterosexual people fighting as I do ... about the gays. ... In the military or any class in life, you have people who have problems with it, and I'm wondering how that's going to be compatible on the battlefield. That's the only question I have, other than that I don't care.

"It's just such a big issue that people make such a big stink about -- 'don't ask, don't tell.' ... And that sounds like our government: 'We'll fix it by saying, "Don't ask, don't tell." Everybody agree, raise your hands. All right, let's go get a snack,'" Keith added with a laugh.

"You know, I don't know enough about what they proposed or what they've put in place here. ... Somebody's sexual preference is like, 'Who cares?'"

by Anonymousreply 4205/25/2013

The Freepers at FreeRepublic are not amused:

"My copy of his greatest hits CD will be headed for the trash. I have no desire to listen to his music or to anything he says ever again."

"Toby is one of the good ones for crying out loud...I am not so sure that his favoring rump humpers in the military isn't some tactic of his to focus on music. That said, he had better come out in support of the GOP nominee or he risks losing too many fans."

"He should have never been a demi-god on FR. He is the entertainment version of Joe Lieberman. It's great that he supports the troops, but he was never anywhere close to being “pure.” I think some people just want any celebrity to be conservative, so they assume any celebrity who makes one conservative statement must be that way everywhere."

by Anonymousreply 110/01/2011

Either way, I'd suck it till it bled.

by Anonymousreply 210/01/2011

Toby Keith rules. Stop hating.

by Anonymousreply 310/01/2011

Like the female singer in sugarland he is an admitted democrat. Garth Brooks has also been pro gay.

by Anonymousreply 410/01/2011

Toby Keith singing for soldiers in Iraq.

by Anonymousreply 510/01/2011

the female singer in sugarland KICKED OUT the openly lesbian band member in that group.

Hardly pro-gay

by Anonymousreply 710/01/2011

derp!

by Anonymousreply 810/01/2011

Best case scenario Toby Keith

by Anonymousreply 910/01/2011

Correct me if I am wrong. Dolly Parton, Dixie Chicks, Toby Keith, Willie Nelson, Faith Hill, Bonnie Raitt, Neko Case. Also, there are plenty that are Democrats, if not explicitly pro-gay.

by Anonymousreply 1110/01/2011

Toby had a great song on Stephen Colbert's Christmas show a couple years ago. I can't find it on YouTube. Since then, I've thought he's okay.

Oh, and Garth Brooks is pro-gay because he has a sister who's a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 1210/01/2011

Toby Keith supported Obama in 2008. Faith Hill and Tim McGraw are additional country singers who are Democrats

by Anonymousreply 1310/01/2011

Loretta Lynn has a grandson that is not only gay, but a drag performer as well!

by Anonymousreply 1410/01/2011

Don't worry. I am a Datalounger, and highly suspicious of everyone and everything.

I promise to verbally beat up friends and foes alike, although I get an extra kick out of slapping down people who make tentative, vaguely pro-gay statements that may alienate their conservative audience/customers.

by Anonymousreply 1510/01/2011

Toby Keith voted for Obama. I'm not sure he will "endorse the GOP candidate" because I think he's a Democrat, just fairly discreet about it, probably to avoid putting off his redneck teabagger fans.

by Anonymousreply 1610/01/2011

Actually Toby Keith has turned in his Democrat card and has no registered as an Independent.

by Anonymousreply 1710/01/2011

Americans are blind to the rabid right wing force driving Country Music. Ask somebody outside of the USA how scary Country looks, how scary Brad Paisley and Trace Adkins look to non Americans.

Holly crap people, Country Radio won't even play Dixie Chicks still today, because they publicly spoke out against Bush ONCE, 8 years ago. They won't play k d Lang either.

Some Americans live in such an isolated world.

by Anonymousreply 1910/01/2011

I am NO fan of Toby Keith, but I'm glad he said this, and it really exposes Freepers for the hateful intolerant bigots that they are, the way they are reacting to this.

I'd love for more conservative "darlings" to come out and say shit like this.

by Anonymousreply 2110/01/2011

Who is the token Black Guy in Country today, Cowboy Troy or did they allow another one in?

Is Keith Urban still the token Foreigner?

by Anonymousreply 2210/01/2011

Shania Twain was there first, before Keith Urban.

by Anonymousreply 2310/01/2011

R22, probably Darius Rucker.

by Anonymousreply 2410/01/2011

R22 is referring to Cowboy Troy. The only country rapper (because he can't sing).

He is a novelty act on anti-gay country singer John Rich's tour.

by Anonymousreply 2510/01/2011

I've always had a secret appreciation for Toby Keith because he's not afraid to piss off ANYONE. And I do mean anyone.

by Anonymousreply 2610/01/2011

R6 & R10 - for real? Toby can say all the pro-gay stuff he wants. We need people like him to speak up and speak out, particularly when their audience is full of redneck Christaholics.

by Anonymousreply 2710/01/2011

Disgusting. He must be one of them queers. Not a real man like Kenny Chesney.

by Anonymousreply 2810/01/2011

Toby likes it in the Rear-known fact

by Anonymousreply 2911/21/2012

Verificatia?

by Anonymousreply 3011/21/2012

Is the guy that's married to the actress that played the daughter in the Father of the Bride movies a freeper too?

by Anonymousreply 3111/22/2012

R10.

Don't listen to all the appeasers and blithe apologists..from what I can tell you're pissing off all the right people.

Like my grandma always said..."Speak the truth, shame the Devil!"

by Anonymousreply 3311/22/2012

I'm impressed that he said this before the election.

by Anonymousreply 3411/22/2012

Garth Brooks' sister is gay and played bass in his band; K.D. Lang chose country music as her genre, probably because there are a lot of lesbians flourishing in Nashville as singers, songwriters, and producers - Janis Ian has lived there for years. the idea that Nashville is not gay-friendly is absurd. I lived there for quite some time and was quite surprised at how many lesbians worked in the music biz and were not closeted. Also, Randy Travis was made a star by a big fat well-known gay manager, producer whose name I cannot remember, Johnny something.

by Anonymousreply 3511/22/2012

It`s all closeted r35.

We can talk when all of America knows what you claim to know.

by Anonymousreply 3611/22/2012

Well r10 is right that Country music is essentially all white, so the Nazi reference might be a bit over the top, but still apt. Rock music is actually worse though, since it's not only mostly white, it's mostly male too. So sick of the endless monotony of 4 or 5 white guys with their electric guitars. Especially since the critics have always exalted white rock above everything else.

by Anonymousreply 3711/22/2012

I thought Randy Travis was made a star by his beard who's since divorced him and had legal battles with him.

by Anonymousreply 3811/23/2012

When I read the article, and the following comments, I had to laugh at the guy who wanted equal rights, and that meant to shower with the women if gays can shower with him. Had to laugh because I imagined him trying to keep it flaccid. What most people don't know is that country boy, all-time hero, (WWII), Audie Murphy was outed by his fellow serviceman. If he can be a superhero, and was bi, why stereotype gays? There are very manly gays in the service. There are accounts in the chronicles of wars, about gays having served. The religious part; that should be private as well.

by Anonymousreply 3911/23/2012

I think one would have to have a private conversation with "insiders" to find out who was/is gay, or bi in country. And he, or she, would have to care enough to even want to dicuss. I have a friend who listens to a local country station. He complained about the dj's daily putdowns on gays. And the insinuations; he claimed that the dj's made constant fun of Kenny C. My reaction: Do the dj's protest too much?

by Anonymousreply 4011/23/2012

k d Lang was banned from Country Music radio when she came out.

Country Music is the Soundtrack of anti-gay America.

by Anonymousreply 4104/06/2013

I always thought Toby was a tough guy but it turns out he is just a wimpy follower that is afraid to speak the truth because he does not want to lose a dollar. This country is becoming a septic tank thanks to all these so called singer /artist/actors that think they should have an opinion in politics. people would like them more if they keep their mouth closed and just sang. When the view their beliefs on TV or the news they lose many fans. Nobody wants to hear their opinion on gays. They only do it for the sake of money and getting some publicity. I am sooo sick of all these entertainers, they are all fakes!

by Anonymousreply 4205/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.