Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's the most European city in the US?

I've heard it said that Philadelphia is like Europe in its old quarters. Same for New Orleans. What say you?

by Anonymousreply 7401/14/2013

Boston or San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 109/30/2011

Billings, Montana.

by Anonymousreply 309/30/2011

Sioux Falls SD

by Anonymousreply 409/30/2011

New Orleans is more European if your context of 'European city' is Paris. New York is more European if your context of 'European city' is Berlin. San Francisco is more European if your context of 'European city' is Amalfi or Naples.

Boston and Philadelphia are good ole American shitholes.

by Anonymousreply 509/30/2011

Parts of Washington, D.C. seem very European to me.

Maybe it's because when I travel, I tend to gravitate toward capital cities (e.g., Munich, Dublin, Prague, Vienna, etc).

by Anonymousreply 809/30/2011

Saint Augustine, Florida. It was setted by the Spanish in 1565. Many of their descendants are still living there.

When the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth, St. Augustine was undergoing urban renewal.

by Anonymousreply 909/30/2011

Manhattan feels a lot like London to me.

by Anonymousreply 1009/30/2011

Most American "European" cities are not.

New Orleans burned to the ground in 1794 when the Spanish were in charge so the French Quarter looks more like a provincial Mexican city than anyplace European.

Boston is proud of its walkable and old subdivisions like Beacon Hill and Back Bay but they are American subdivisions. I suppose London has plenty but they don't define the place.

Washington DC was designed to be a combination of Francophile and neo-Georgian Irish, but it never made it before it was taken over by the American spirit of excess.

Philadelphia and Savannah were to be Un-European in their spaciousness and squares, although Europe out beautified them in the Hausmann era.

Baltimore today has the most European feel, but that is because it was the first major city built after independence and at that time, Americans still hoped to beat Europeans at their own game.

Some cities "feel" a little exotic due to topography (Pittsburgh) or ethnicity (St. Louis; Milwaukee; Cincinnati). Some smaller cities show foreign influence but those are usually West Indian (Charleston, Mobile, St. Augustine), tarted up phoney (Portsmouth, Williamsburg, to some extent Annapolis and Portland, ME), etc.

But just a regular Euro city that has moved through the ages with less of the boom and bust which is typical of America....perhaps Providence, Rhode Island?

by Anonymousreply 1210/01/2011

New York?

by Anonymousreply 1310/01/2011

Interesting comments, R12. Please talk a bit more about DC.

by Anonymousreply 1410/01/2011

The authoritative R12 is wrong on just about every point concerning historical development and influence.

by Anonymousreply 1710/01/2011

I live in Washington DC, and I just had vistors from India who were shocked to see how much it resembled Paris. DC off the tourist tracks has some gorgeous old architecture and incredibly charming neighborhoods.

But no place in America is as old as Europe, of course.

by Anonymousreply 1810/01/2011

R5, which American city is most like Madrid? (Serious question, I love Madrid.)

by Anonymousreply 1910/01/2011

R19, no American city is remotely similar to Madrid, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 2110/01/2011

Boson may have areas that "look" European, but the minute any of the locals open their mouths and that horrendous accent spews forth any similarity is immediately vacated.

by Anonymousreply 2210/01/2011

R19, I was in Madrid this past summer, and I had the time of my life. I loved it! I didn't want to leave ;(

I am planning on going back next summer, and I can't wait. I love everything about Madrid.

by Anonymousreply 2310/01/2011

R17=dumbo who thinks Lincoln was a manly heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 2410/04/2011

by Anonymousreply 2510/06/2012

Walmart sells Swiss Chocolate. That is about as close as the USA gets to being European.

Go north to Quebec city, which is easily the most Euro centric city in North America.

by Anonymousreply 2610/06/2012

Anyone asserting that DC was partly influenced by "neo-Georgian Irish" indicated that his head is so far up his ass that he couldn't see Capitol if he were standing on its steps.

Among R12's yellow stream of "insights," this howler probably is the most laughable.

Please look up the definitions of "neo," "Georgian," "neo-Georgian," "Francophile," and, for that matter "neo-Georgian Irish architecture" before attempting another post on the subject, bub.

Also, kindly refrain from confusing yourself by asserting that the peculiarly "ethnic" character of American cities somehow makes them "exotic," although what this has to do with "European" is open to question. You'll sleep easier. If anything, it is, for example, the idiosyncratic, curved and non-gridlike streetscape of an older city such as St. Louis, almost arbitrarily connecting 19th century village-like neighborhoods, with some latter-day grid overlays, and a high proportion of private streets, that makes it seem somewhat European. That and a healthy cafe life in the Central West End.

What gives a city a European feel? Age, a sense of change occurring over time with evidence of retention from all periods, narrow streets, active street life, quaint and grand architecture, interesting neighborhoods, a lack of strong distinctions between residential and business areas except in the largest centers. Most older American cities have areas that seem European - or so I hear from the European colleagues and family visiting the USA.

by Anonymousreply 2710/07/2012

by Anonymousreply 2810/13/2012

R10, not Manhattan. Brooklyn Heights, however, is extremely similar to London. Most buildings there are no more than ten floors.

by Anonymousreply 2910/13/2012

First of all and this is very important, if any city is to look like an European city it has to be build around a main square and City Hall. It has to be old enough to be unplanned and therefore will not have many long straight streets in the city center. That is what gives European cities character. As you get further out into the suburbs it will look more and more like any city in the USA, long roads in straight lines.

I am European and we are all citizens of this fragile planet called Earth.

by Anonymousreply 3010/14/2012

Quebec City is filled with angry, dreadlocked drug addicts wandering the streets. It makes Montreal look sober and well-run.

I like European-style cities, R26, but be careful where you send these poor innocents.

by Anonymousreply 3110/14/2012

In terms of vistas and social health care, I've had many European friends say San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 3210/14/2012

Agree that New Orleans - especially the French Quarter is more Caribbean than European. St. Augustine is more like Savannah - very much a small southern city that wasn't destroyed during the Civil War.

There really aren't European type cities in the US. Doesn't mean there aren't great cities - I love the usual - Cisco, NYC, LA, N Orleans, Savannah --

by Anonymousreply 3310/14/2012

Toronto is like Tirana, at least the way most people pronounce it.

by Anonymousreply 3410/14/2012

America has become one big Walmart store.

by Anonymousreply 3510/14/2012

Philadelphia with its Champs-Elysees inspired parkway, public art, beaux arts buildings and small streets gets my vote.

by Anonymousreply 3610/14/2012

Some Brits say Brownstone Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill) reminds them of London.

by Anonymousreply 3710/14/2012

[quote]New Orleans is more Caribbean than European

Which reminds me of the old saw: "New Orleans isn't in southern Louisiana, it's in northern Costa Rica."

by Anonymousreply 3810/14/2012

SF, Philly, Boston, parts of NY. Probably only parts of all of those cities, to varying degrees.

What European city is most "American"?

by Anonymousreply 3910/14/2012

[quote]What European city is most "American"?

by Anonymousreply 4010/14/2012

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4110/14/2012

Glascow has used as a stand-in for Boston and New York. Few Americans know Glascow so it would not figure as a comparison for them.

Also, perhaps Seattle is a lot like Olso and Bergen. I'd say the same about Helsinki and Seattle. Seattle has great gorgeous late 19th and early 20th century architecture.

by Anonymousreply 4210/14/2012

Agreed with r29. Manhattan is not like any European city but part of Brooklyn like the Heights, Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill can look (somewhat) like parts of London.

by Anonymousreply 4312/27/2012

R21, you must be joking. Madrid is, without question, the most American city in Europe that I've been to.

by Anonymousreply 4412/27/2012

Stockholm is just like America except cleaner and speaking better English.

by Anonymousreply 4512/27/2012

No. Seriously, Birmingham UK has an American feel.

by Anonymousreply 4612/27/2012

New York & Boston.

by Anonymousreply 4712/27/2012

Portland, Or.

by Anonymousreply 4812/27/2012

Downtown Rotterdam and the Canary Wharf area of London seem very American.

by Anonymousreply 4912/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 5012/27/2012

Sounds very American, right down to the poor singing.

by Anonymousreply 5112/27/2012

What gives a city a European feel?

Grand architecture, walkability, lots of slim well dressed attractive people, good places to eat in all price ranges, out door dining, lots of bars/pubs/coffee shops, museums and other cultural institutions, an opera house, good public transportation, sophisticated shops, tailors, shoe repair, craftsmen, farmers markets, great produce readily available...etc and etc and etc.

THAT'S what gives a city a European feel.

And in the US, the city with the mostest is NYC.

by Anonymousreply 5212/27/2012

Depends on the definition of what makes for a "European" feel. Classic European cities have town squares and public gathering places where people who actually live there come to meet.

Boston has some neighborhoods that look old. Beacon Hill with its buildings and chimney pots reminds me of England. However even Boston residents get in their cars and drive to the malls. So the answer to OP's question is "none."

by Anonymousreply 5312/27/2012

The culture of NYC is far too brash, fast-paced and contemporary to have a European feel.

NYC with its skyscrapers, yellow cabs, flashy advertising everywhere, subway grates, round-the-clock hours, and no-nonsense, plain-spoken, all-business residents, is quintessentially American in look and feel.

Most Europeans will tell you that Savannah is the most European.

by Anonymousreply 5412/27/2012

[quote]NYC with its skyscrapers, yellow cabs, flashy advertising everywhere, subway grates, round-the-clock hours, and no-nonsense, plain-spoken, all-business residents, is quintessentially American in look and feel.

Ever been to London?

by Anonymousreply 5512/27/2012

No one would ever see this and say, "Where was that taken? Gstaad? Sorrento? Rotterdam?"

by Anonymousreply 5612/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 5712/27/2012

[quote]Ever been to London?

Plenty of times, r55. There are quite a few things that set London apart from NYC.

And the things listed in my post--"skyscrapers, yellow cabs, flashy advertising everywhere, subway grates, round-the-clock hours, and no-nonsense, plain-spoken, all-business residents"--aren't at all what people mean when they say a place does or doesn't have a "European feel" ... though no doubt many places in Europe may possess those characteristics. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 5812/27/2012

Yeah, r57. With that double-decker bus and 18th century architecture, I thought for sure that was a picture of Boise.

by Anonymousreply 5912/27/2012

Stupidest thread I've read in a while. How you DLers love to pose as experts! How you love to pass misinformation back and forth. And, yes, R17 and R27, what *does* R12 mean by "ethnicity?"

by Anonymousreply 6012/27/2012

Well, there are lots of Nazis and white supremacists in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, so is that like a European city? Like maybe Zagreb, or Oslo?

"speaking better English?" R45? I am not understanding your saying please. Talking more clear can you?

by Anonymousreply 6112/27/2012

Of course there are bound to be differences, R59. The ones you cite are frivolous and ignorant. New York is plagued with double decker buses for the tourists. The point is how do the cities feel when you're in them. Unless you're going to declare that London and Berlin are not European, there are aspects of New York that are unlike any other city in the US and like several European capitals.

by Anonymousreply 6212/27/2012

P.S The building in that photo is late 19th century, not 18th. There are quite a few in New York from the same era.

by Anonymousreply 6312/27/2012

Kansas City is not European but it has more fountains than Rome and more boulevards than Paris and the second largest city park in the US.

by Anonymousreply 6412/27/2012

[quote] ones you cite are frivolous and ignorant.

I would hardly call it frivolous and ignorant to point out that skyscrapers, traffic, business, a colorful sort of brashness etc are some of the defining characteristics of New York City.

There's not a large city anywhere in the world that doesn't have them to SOME degree, but to say that this is something that only NYC and European cities share is retarded. Gee, I suppose Hong Kong, Sao Paolo, and Tokyo are very European by that measure, too.

by Anonymousreply 6512/27/2012

NYC is a quintessentially American city. This is well-noted. Deal.

by Anonymousreply 6612/27/2012

Indistinguishable from New York!

by Anonymousreply 6712/27/2012

What American city feels most like Bucarest? Budapest? And Buenaventura?

by Anonymousreply 6812/27/2012

Europe is a pretty big area, and its cities have very different feelings. Limerick, Talinn, Barcelona, and Bratislava are very different places with distinct atmospheres. Nice and Bruges are both in French-speaking countries, but that may be their only similarities.

by Anonymousreply 6912/27/2012

Obviously I meant GERMANS.

by Anonymousreply 7012/27/2012

True, r69, but there are things that those places share that lots of American cities don't.

When people say an American city is "European" in feel, I would venture that they mean some or all of these things: 1. walkable 2. old, aesthetically-pleasing architecture, laid out before the advent of the automobile 3. active street life 4. a sense of cultural continuity, history, and/or cohesiveness 5. a pleasant, human pace and scale 6. a plethora of small independent shops and businesses

There are garbage dumps, industrial ports, ugly highways, and suburbs in Europe, but this is not what people are generally referring to imho when they're contemplating which city in America is the most "European" in feel.

by Anonymousreply 7112/27/2012

Las Vegas, there are a little bit of Paris, Venice, Belagio and Monte Carlo in only one city.

by Anonymousreply 7201/14/2013

One city comes to mind. Moscow, Idaho.

by Anonymousreply 7301/14/2013

Helen, Ga tries very, very hard.

by Anonymousreply 7401/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!