Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Angela Lansbury

She seems like a nice woman. Has anyone met her?

by Anonymousreply 5406/15/2013

I have met her several times, she is very nice and down to earth. Tons of energy. Don't be surprised if you see her on Broadway again. Her career is far from over.

by Anonymousreply 109/27/2011

I want another Murder She Wrote, damnit!

She just said that she wants to do another one, but CBS hasn't called.

by Anonymousreply 209/27/2011

I saw her and we exchanged hellos at the stage door after Blythe Spirit a couple of years ago, does that count?

by Anonymousreply 309/27/2011

I've met her. Charming and gracious, if not a bit ... savvy.

She did an interview with Robert Osborne. She comes off a bit proud and even a bit haughty.

But, when I met her, she was charming.

by Anonymousreply 409/27/2011

She's considered one of the very nicest actors in Hollywood (the only possible other ties for the title: Henry Winkler and Heather Locklear).

by Anonymousreply 509/27/2011

she seemed tired around the eyes when I met her.

by Anonymousreply 609/27/2011

Well, she certainly has a reason to feel proud. That said, I saw her interview with Robert Osborne, and she seemed modest and down-to-earth. In this era of instant familiarity and emotional exhibitionism, her dignity and self-restraint can come off as formal. I like her style.

by Anonymousreply 709/27/2011

Any woman who was best friend's with Bea Arthur, must be a very cool chick!

by Anonymousreply 909/27/2011

I sat next to her on a plane. She was knitting.

After three hours, she said hello.

I told her it was strange coincidence sitting next to her because I has just listened to Mame in the car last week.

She said, "Well, then you probably know the score better than I do!"

She seemed very nice and normal.

R7: I don't think she came across as proud. She came across as honest. She has a lot to be proud of and she wasn't into all that phony modesty that wastes everyone's time.

by Anonymousreply 1009/28/2011

[quote]What was she thinking with this makeup?

She was thinking she'd wear the same heavy makeup that all actors wear when performing on a brightly lit stage in a large theater.

by Anonymousreply 1109/28/2011

R8 = flaming idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1209/28/2011

Oh my God, r10, PLEASE share more stories of your plane conversation with her!!

by Anonymousreply 1309/28/2011

I've met her a few times at charity and award shows and she's very gracious and kind.

I also worked on the Universal lot when Murder She Wrote was shooting and her generosity to her crew was very well known. I remember her refusing to continue one day when the cast was served a lunch of superior quality to the crew's. Once EVERYONE had the same food - production continued.

by Anonymousreply 1409/28/2011

Ii hav emet her once at an charity event. I was with Chita and Anglea Landsberry was surprised to se me!

by Anonymousreply 1509/28/2011

shouldn't she die soon?

by Anonymousreply 1609/28/2011

^ it seemed so in "smiles of a summer night" on broadway. She's a fabulous actress, loved her in "something for everyone"

by Anonymousreply 1709/28/2011

^ I meant "a little night music", smiles was the movie version ingmar berg man 1955

by Anonymousreply 1809/28/2011

r12 = Faggy McFag

by Anonymousreply 1909/28/2011

I have a friend who once met her. And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 2009/28/2011

Consuming the feces of old people has turned me into a brain dead cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2109/28/2011

Her daughter Deidre was up to her eyeballs in the Manson Family, and after the murders Lansbury moved the whole family to Ireland. That whole story has never been told.

by Anonymousreply 2209/28/2011

She lived in the town where I went to prep school. I saw her around town often. One time, I was shopping for clothes and she was in the store. I was trying on a few pairs of pants, and kept coming out of the changing room to look at them in the mirror. She was very nice and told me which pair she liked the most. I was a shy kid and we talked a little, but I wanted to crawl under a table.

by Anonymousreply 2309/28/2011

Angela lives in Mistown, so more of us will get to see her on the street.

by Anonymousreply 2409/28/2011

I wrote her a fan letter a few months ago and included a few pictures for her to sign (I know, MARY!!). The photos were signed and returned in only two weeks. I treasure them. (Again, MARY!!).

by Anonymousreply 2509/28/2011

She's certainly more classy and talented than many of the actresses of today's generation.

by Anonymousreply 2609/30/2011

She never got over losing the Oscar to Patty Duke, and black listed her from Murder, She Wrote

by Anonymousreply 2709/30/2011

Didn't know that, R27.

The sweet victory for Angela though is that she went on to have a much more successful career than Patty Duke.

Most people have never heard of Patty Duke and couldn't recognize her, whereas millions of people all over the world grew up with Jessica Fletcher.

by Anonymousreply 2809/30/2011

Doesn't she live in Ireland?

I would love to meet her. She seems really cool, and down to Earth. It doesn't hurt that she was part of my childhood either. I loved her since "Bed Knobs and Broomsticks". She actually was pretty hot when she was younger, but she had one of those faces that you just knew what she was going to look like old.

by Anonymousreply 2909/30/2011

I thought she lived in Manhattan, or at least was as recently as a couple years ago when she was on Broadway again and winning her 5th Tony Award.

Yes, she has (or had) a home in Ireland as well. I believe she and her husband lived there and that one of their neighbors was Hurd Hatfield (her co-star from "The Picture of Dorian Gray")

by Anonymousreply 3009/30/2011

r28 I don't know if that is true, I think today most people know who Patty Duke is b/c of the renewal of her show (The Patty Duke Show). Also let us not forget Patty's performance in VOTD. If you ask a person of the younger generation I think most would know Patty over Angela, b/c of the Miracle Worker (still shown today and read in almost every Jr/Senior HS).

by Anonymousreply 3110/01/2011

I saw her years and years back at the old Bed Bath and Beyond on Olympic in WLA. She was buying a ton of Christmas stuff, including an inflatable Santa. I wouldn't have paid any attention to her except she was wearing dark glasses inside.

by Anonymousreply 3210/01/2011

Thanks for starting this thread OP! I was up late with a cough last night and ended up watching 2 episodes of Murder She Wrote. One of them had Genie Francis in it and the other Connie Stevens. And lots of other B listers that I probably didn't know. Anyway, it was so nice and relaxing to watch Jessica Fletcher solve those murders!

I wish i would turn into an old lady that looks like Angela Lansbury when I'm 65 or so.

by Anonymousreply 3310/01/2011

[quote]Her daughter Deidre was up to her eyeballs in the Manson Family, and after the murders Lansbury moved the whole family to Ireland. That whole story has never been told.

Actually Angela has talked about it and you post it on every thread about Lansbury. She wasn't "up to her eyeballs" in the Manson family, she was briefly associated with a few members.

[quote]She never got over losing the Oscar to Patty Duke, and black listed her from Murder, She Wrote

You are full of shit. Lansbury has said she was mildly disappointed, but thought that if she had won, she would have been typecast for the rest of her career.

[quote]If you ask a person of the younger generation I think most would know Patty over Angela, b/c of the Miracle Worker (still shown today and read in almost every Jr/Senior HS).

I doubt they would know either one of them, off the top of their head, and where do you that The Miracle Worker is shown and read in just about every Jr/Sr high school?

by Anonymousreply 3410/01/2011

[quote] Lansbury has said she was mildly disappointed

Then why has Patty never been on Murder, She Wrote.

Even her then husband (John Astin) guest star. Why not Patty?

by Anonymousreply 3510/01/2011

Deedee was indeed up to her eyeballs with the Manson gang. Along with her drug problems, the Manson association was why she brought her to Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 3610/01/2011

B/C r43 I am a been a Jr and now senior HS English teacher for 26 years. It is on almost every state's English curriculum.

by Anonymousreply 3710/01/2011

that should be r34.

by Anonymousreply 3810/01/2011

Now way is Patty Duke more well known to young people than Lansbury.

I'm 25 and I grew up with Murder, She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 3910/01/2011

[quote] Then why has Patty never been on Murder, She Wrote.

Perhaps because Patty turned down the offers?

by Anonymousreply 4010/01/2011

Stop with the Patty Duke bashing. She's extremely gracious and kind. And she's had a very distinguished career herself. If she hasn't done more, it's probably because she wants to enjoy the peace and calmness of her life after all those turbulent, flat out crazy years.

She could have gone over the edge any number of times and not come back. Look at today's stars. She should be applauded for shining a light on mental illness.

And I love Angela too.

by Anonymousreply 4110/01/2011

Totally agree with your post r41. I remember reading an interview,where she said that living in Idaho has helped her mentally and physically but maybe not so much her career. And she also said that she wouldn't have it any other way.

by Anonymousreply 4210/01/2011

Patty would never turn down work.

by Anonymousreply 4310/01/2011

I just got the new Warners Archive DVD of THE RELUCTANT DEBUTANTE and she is absolutely hilarious and gives a really fabulous performance in it. Vincente Minnelli directed it and it is very elegant and witty. Highly recommended. Rex Harrison and Sandra Dee are in it, too.

by Anonymousreply 4410/01/2011

I've met her at various award parties and benefits over the years and think she's great. Gracious and charming- a class act.

I love how honest she is about wanting an Oscar- even says she'd trade all her Tonys for an Oscar. Also, every interview she says she'd like "one more really good film role"- no doubt to get that Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 4510/01/2011

I love her. I've seen nearly every episode of Murder, She Wrote. It's like comfort food. What's interesting is that I don't think I'm alone, yet I don't think a show like that would be green lit today. But it might be an interesting experiment. Which has been actors would guest star on the modern equivalent? Judd Nelson? Judge Reinhold? Mare Winningham? Jan Michael Vincent?

by Anonymousreply 4610/01/2011

r43 there are many roles that Patty Duke turned down. Some of them would have probably earned her a few Oscars. See below link.

by Anonymousreply 4710/01/2011

R43,In the interview (that I mentioned) she didn't say anything about turning down roles, just that she wasn't considered for different roles because people felt maybe she retired to Idaho.

by Anonymousreply 4810/01/2011

During Murder, She Wrote run, Patty was living in LA and she had 5 kids to support (3 step-children, 2 of her own)

She was taking whatever work came her way, as she and John Astin were a two income family.

When they divorced, she was a single mother and in no position to turn down work.

John Astin was offered Murder, She Wrote. Why not Patty?

by Anonymousreply 4910/01/2011

She was also flat broke during this period, owing the IRS six figure tax payment.

by Anonymousreply 5010/01/2011

MSW is like comfort food!

by Anonymousreply 5110/01/2011

I met her today at the performance of Driving Miss Daisy in Perth. She is very humble but seemed very tired, frail even and a little disoriented. I felt really terrible asking for an auto graph.mbut as soon as she saw it was a Sweeney Todd play bill her face just lit up and she said "thank you for bring this."

by Anonymousreply 5206/15/2013

[quote]as soon as she saw it was a Sweeney Todd play bill her face just lit up and she said "thank you for bring this."

Hmm. I always thought she would be... well-spoken.

by Anonymousreply 5306/15/2013

Two or three years ago, I had dinner at Petrossian in the West 50s and you-know-who was seated at the next table with a few companions. Very elegant, stylishly coiffed and the center of attention.

by Anonymousreply 5406/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!