Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Observation about the Golden Girls

I was just watching part of an episode where Blanche's teacher tells her he won't give her the 'A' she needs unless he gets to sleep with her. The theme of the episode was "sexual harassment is wrong" (which it is), but the topic was addressed in a way that gives a lot of ammo to people who are skeptical of rape/sexual harassment claims. Blanche is clearly flirting with the instructor and using some pretty suggestive language (replying, "Oh, you're *so much* more than that!" when he tells her he's all ears). Then toward the end of the scene she turns does a 180 and happily plays the victim.

Does anyone remember the episode I'm referring to?

It actually made me realize that most of the time, Blanche, Dorothy, Sophia, and Rose had the tendency to deliberately put themselves in distress, only to complain about situations that were technically of their own doing. The show is usually lauded for its portrayal of middle aged women, but in a way it almost seems like the writers were subtly denigrating women.

by Anonymousreply 2704/12/2013

OP, get a life.Go out, volunteer, meet people.

by Anonymousreply 109/24/2011

That was part of educating people about sexual harrassment OP because flirty did not imply consent, and certainly not consent to employment related blackmail.

by Anonymousreply 209/24/2011

If Dorothy got pregnant and had to get married, what happened to that kid? They showed her son and her daughter, but neither one was 38.

by Anonymousreply 309/24/2011

"It actually made me realize that most of the time, Blanche, Dorothy, Sophia, and Rose had the tendency to deliberately put themselves in distress, only to complain about situations that were technically of their own doing."

LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2011

I wish someone had saved the Golden Girls inconsistencies thread just for the OP. It was an encyclopedia of useless, yet accurate, information about the show.

by Anonymousreply 509/25/2011

R5, I read that thread several times and, no, OP's topic was never discussed. Thankfully a whole new topic has been started. And, R3, that HAS been discussed repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 609/25/2011

let's start it up again! my favorite inconsistency was the one with Uncle Angelo who was either visiting from Italy or had just moved to Miami during a hurricane. Dorothy and Stan are pretending to be married and Blanche and Rose are dressed as nuns for some play, but tell Uncle Angelo that they are collecting lingerie for needy, sexy people. Cut to something on the lanai smelling really bad (I think Dreyfuss had gone to the bathroom there) and Sophia saying 'smells like soup.'

by Anonymousreply 709/25/2011

I agree with OP's observation.

by Anonymousreply 809/30/2011

No, OP, you are wrong. Now stop TGG bashing.

by Anonymousreply 909/30/2011

Where's the old thread? Anyone have a link to it?

by Anonymousreply 1009/30/2011

Right on Mammy, R9! Now tell me this: why do you use the middle name Marie when addressing Blanche, when in another episode Blanche claims her middle name is Elizabeth? Hence Dorothy's astonishment upon discovering that Blanche's initals spell BED.

by Anonymousreply 1109/30/2011

[quote]It actually made me realize that most of the time, Blanche, Dorothy, Sophia, and Rose had the tendency to deliberately put themselves in distress, only to complain about situations that were technically of their own doing. The show is usually lauded for its portrayal of middle aged women, but in a way it almost seems like the writers were subtly denigrating women.

Nope, just aiming at the gay audience which is often the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 1309/30/2011

I saw the Henny Penny ep last night. Totally demented, in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 1409/30/2011

DOROTHY (enters from the hallway into the living room): Ma, I have a great idea. Why don't you invite Lydia over for Thanksgiving. It will be nice for her to get out.

SOPHIA (snacking on a bowl of pecans sitting in her lap): Who?

DOROTHY: Lydia. You know - your best friend. The woman you convinced not to take her own life when she couldn't take life anymore?

SOPHIA: Oh yeah, Lydia ... she's dead.

DOROTHY: Whaaaaaa ....?!!!

SOPHIA (bites into a pecan): Head in the oven. After cooking a batch of carrot-pineapple muffins.

DOROTHY: Maaaaaa!!!! I don't believe this?! Why didn't you tell me????!!!

SOPHIA (gets up and moves towards the kitchen): Cheer up, Dorothy. Grief is an ugly thing. And so are you in anything backless.

by Anonymousreply 1509/30/2011

OP, you are obviously part of Miami's literary intelligentsia.

Let me treat you to lunch at the Mortimer Club.

by Anonymousreply 1607/13/2012

Barbara, are you busy tonight? I have all kinds of free time since Blanche bought the farm.

by Anonymousreply 1707/13/2012

The most unbelievable thing was that he would hit on an old lady whose pussy dropped to the floor a decade ago. Middle ages? Only if one lives to 120.

by Anonymousreply 1807/13/2012

[quote]most of the time, Blanche, Dorothy, Sophia, and Rose had the tendency to deliberately put themselves in distress, only to complain about situations that were technically of their own doing."

Saffie from "AB FAB" said it best...

"You live from one self induced crisis to another..."

by Anonymousreply 1907/13/2012

Could someone go ahead and start a thread for each individual Golden Girls episode so they can be dissected and obsessed over in even more excrutiating detail? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 2007/13/2012

We should be doing this to Glee. In the first episode of Glee, Vocal Adrenaline is introduced as regional champs, later we hear they are three time national champs, who would never have been introduced as regional champs if they were.

by Anonymousreply 2107/13/2012

r17: I'm free tonight.

by Anonymousreply 2208/13/2012

Dorothy used a vacuum cleaner to give herself hickeys in the basement on prom night:

"to most mothers', it would be a cry for help, to you it's ammo"

by Anonymousreply 2301/08/2013

"It actually made me realize that most of the time, Blanche, Dorothy, Sophia, and Rose had the tendency to deliberately put themselves in distress, only to complain about situations that were technically of their own doing."

Do you have specific examples? What comes to mind for me are any of the episodes where they're having money troubles or lamenting their lack of funds, when the simple solution would have been for them to work full-time like any normal person. Instead, they stuck with their part-time jobs just so they would have time to sit around on the couch on weekdays reading magazines.

by Anonymousreply 2401/08/2013

by the way, Blanche, you have a big tooches

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2013

Dorothy look what happened to you watch!

by Anonymousreply 2601/08/2013

the biggest inconsistency was not only in oversights in statistics regarding the ladies' ages, kids, etc. but in the style, tone, and character. while was always evolving, the first 3 seasons were FAR superior to the subsequent 4. the decline started to happen with the opening of the 1988 season even before the new writers took over later that season. the ladies devolved during this period. nothing was true to the characters that were already developed. they all became whores, all became stupid, and all became childish and mocked each other.

by Anonymousreply 2704/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.