Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lazy asses who don't put away their grocery carts

God, this bugs, and not just because most of the time the carts are blocking one or multiple parking spaces.

I ALWAYS return my cart, even if I have to walk pretty far from where I'm parked. I think of it as exercise (and courtesy), not a chore. Even in the rain.

Today, I watched a hugely obese (at least 400 pounds) woman and her adult daughter unload their groceries into their fucking mini-van, which was THE CLOSEST parking spot to the front of the store. It would have taken them maybe an extra 30 seconds total to put the cart in the corral thingy or JUST WALK IT BACK INTO THE STORE!! What did these heifers do? You guessed it, the fat bitch just left the cart next to her car, got in and left.

So the cart rolllllllllllllllls to the center of that spot, taking up prime space someone else could have.

Yes, I got BACK out of my car, took their stupid cart and put it in the correct place. Ignorant lazy people amaze me.

by Anonymousreply 19907/07/2014

They're the same people who litter.

by Anonymousreply 109/24/2011

A major pet peeve of mine, too.

Even more heinous when they leave it to block a handicap spot.

by Anonymousreply 209/24/2011

I'm with you, OP. Depending on the neighborhood I'm in, people look at me like I'm crazy when I put my cart where it belongs. I often take carts other people abandoned and roll them back to their rightful space.

And R1 is right.

by Anonymousreply 309/24/2011

When I was a kid (1970s) our local market wouldn't even allow you to take the carts to the parking lot (they had barriers up). People had to go and get their cars and drive around. We kids used to make some money by watching the groceries when they went to get the car, and helping people load up their cars(especially if someone was alone).

And I agree with you about the carts being left--drives me apeshit.

by Anonymousreply 509/24/2011

[quote]You're gay, miserable, and finding stupid things to be a

What is this, Match Game?

by Anonymousreply 609/24/2011

Good for you! It's called paying it forward. Now, someone will do something for you one day, and you might not even be aware of it either.

by Anonymousreply 709/24/2011

I find that people in poorer areas don't return carts as much as people in wealthier 'hoods do....

by Anonymousreply 809/24/2011

Oh my god, there was an amazing thread about this three or four years ago. Did anyone save it by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 909/24/2011

Let them die!!

by Anonymousreply 1009/24/2011

I disagree, r8. It doesn't matter what neighborhood the store is in, there are always lazy, entitled people who leave the carts in the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 1209/24/2011

It irritates the hell out of me too. I'm a a 400 pound guy but I ALWAYS put my grocery cart in the corral thingy or walk it back to the store, even if I park far away. Also irritated me to see people open up their packages in the parking lot and leave the empty boxes and packing lying on the ground, even when there is a trash can a few feet away. It's upbringing I guess. People just aren't taught manners and responsibility any more. Makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 1309/24/2011

[R12] lazy, entitled = poor neighborhood

by Anonymousreply 1409/24/2011

It's a pet peeve of mine as well. I had the job of rounding up carts when I worked for a major chain in my younger years. It's just laziness and inconsideration.

Some supermarkets where I live have the kind of carts that are chained together. You have to put a quarter in to unlock it from the group. You get your quarter back when you return it and lock it back in place. This seems to work really well, although I'd encourage them to up it to a dollar. (I'm Canadian and we have coins - loonies and toonies - for $1 and $2.)

by Anonymousreply 1509/24/2011

I didn't save it R9. Mostly I remember Steve S. going on about how he would not put carts in the corral because somehow that was going to put his little ankle-biter in danger.

by Anonymousreply 1609/24/2011

The biggest problem is that most stores in my neighborhood have either gotten rid of cart corrals all together, or have minimal ones available, usually only in 1 or 2 parking aisles in the whole lot.

While I always take the carts to them, or back to the front of the store if it's closer, most people won't bother if they have to walk more than 5 steps to do so.

by Anonymousreply 1709/24/2011

R5--One of the supermarkets in my town still does that.

And R8 is correct. The amount of chaos in the parking lots is directly related to the average income of the shoppers.

by Anonymousreply 1809/24/2011

Yes, that was it r16! One of my all-time favorite DL thread fights! Better than frosting and breadboxes, even.

by Anonymousreply 1909/24/2011

R15, that's one of the many reasons I love shopping at Aldi!

by Anonymousreply 2009/24/2011

Many of the chain grocery markets in my city (Atlanta) require the .25 deposit for a cart, but very few of the suburban markets do. And it does seem to work. It's amazing how thrifty lazy people of all socioeconomic levels can be. Plus it helps with the street people who like to steal grocery carts and push them all over the city for their "collections".

But as far as who is prone to being too lazy to return their cart to the corral, I see all types who refuse to do it. But I will say I see far more women not taking the cart back than I do men. And one complaint I have is that many grocery markets simply don't have enough cart corrals in the lot. The less people have to walk the more apt they are to return the cart. Although I have seen some lazy bastards who are parked 2 spaces away from the corral who will push their cart to the front of their car and just drive off. I've yelled at a many of them about it. Just a couple weeks ago I told one broad who did this, "Jesus lady, are you really that lazy?"! She just sneered back at me as she got in her car, and I said "you are pathetic!".

by Anonymousreply 2109/24/2011

25 cents or 25 dollars?

People in Washington DC steal the carts to push their groceries to their apartment buildings. And then they don't bother to return them.

Of course, Washington DC is the land of lawlessness.

by Anonymousreply 2209/24/2011

A lare=ge grocery chain in Cleveland, called Heinen's, does not allow carts out of the store but does provide a parcel pickup area where they have employees load your car. It's wonderful. No carts in the parking lot, and the carts are all in pristine shape because they are never left out in inclement weather.

It's a wonderful store too and a joy to shop.

Other stores, such as Walmart & Kmart have cart corrals but most people just leave them in parking spots. A lot of times they are left in the handicap spots as people who park there sometimes need a cart for support to get into the store. It makes me nuts when able bodied people just push them into adjoining parking spaces, leaving many parking spaces blocked for cars.

by Anonymousreply 2309/24/2011

"But I will say I see far more women not taking the cart back than I do men."

Probably due to the fact that far more women grocery shop than men.

by Anonymousreply 2409/24/2011

a trip to the 99 Cents store is always a pleasent experince.

by Anonymousreply 2509/24/2011

R16's memory is playing tricks on him in his old age.

by Anonymousreply 2609/24/2011

R11 has never heard of wind.

by Anonymousreply 2709/24/2011

You don't have to put the carts in their corral (cute name), just move them out of the parking space! If you're infirm or dealing with a baby, of course it's impractical for you to push an empty cart any distance -- but you could move it to the end of the space rather than leaving it in the middle so a car can't pull in.

I moved 3 carts out of spaces this morning. It was a discount market in a poor area, but the same thing happens at Whole Foods or the Safeway store in an affluent neighborhood -- the big difference I see is that the "nicer" stores have more staff to tidy up the parking lot more often, not that the customers are more considerate.

by Anonymousreply 2809/24/2011

I don't understand why don't we do what some countries in Europe do, which is the same system that's used at airports: If you want a cart you have to put a quarter in and get your quarter back when you return the cart where it belongs.

I guarantee you that a lot of these shits would be returning the carts.

by Anonymousreply 2909/24/2011

[quote] People in Washington DC steal the carts to push their groceries to their apartment buildings.

They've taken care of that in my city in CA. If you try to take a cart beyond the parking lot the wheels lock up and the cart is disabled.

by Anonymousreply 3009/24/2011

Those union workers at Kroger have to do some actual work.

by Anonymousreply 3109/24/2011

Why is no one in this thread admit that sometimes they don't take the cart back? I certainly leave it in the parking lot sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 3209/24/2011

Well, I don't, and I mean never.

There has been one exception to this - I was shopping at Hannaford (New England) and it was icy and sleeting mixed with snow which had become quite inclement and nasty by the time I got done shopping and unloaded the groceries. The pavement was incredibly icy and dangerous and that was the ONLY time I ever opted to leave the cart next to my car.

I would just feel embarrassed to put my laziness on full display for all to see, otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 3309/24/2011

This is also why I prefer to shop at Publix. They have people to carry your groceries to the car for you. They ask you not to tip, but I do. I just tell them "this is between you and me". Never had one refuse.

by Anonymousreply 3409/24/2011

I will admit to it, R32. If I'm in a parking lot that is littered with carts and the corral is far away, sometimes I will leave a cart next to it's brothers and sisters. But that is rare for me.

by Anonymousreply 3509/24/2011

You're right, OP.

And on a more serious note from it being lazy, it can also cause car accidents in the parking lot when someone smashes into a loose grocery cart rolling down the pavement.

I've seen several small claims court cases where people's cars were banged or damaged by grocery carts.

by Anonymousreply 3609/24/2011

I normally push mine all the way home, but it really gets me that I have to breathe in the shitty fumes from lazy asses who can't be bothered to walk.

by Anonymousreply 3709/24/2011

r36=cart chaser

by Anonymousreply 3809/24/2011

People who 'steal' grocery carts to push their groceries home should buy their own wire cart with small wheels.

The wire carts can be purchased all over the web.

And also use a large pack pack with your own wire cart.

by Anonymousreply 3909/24/2011

Stamp that tiny little foot in fury, OP!

And KEEP up the POSTING in ALL-CAPS which SOUNDS like SHOUTING, too!

by Anonymousreply 4009/24/2011

I agree, R39. My grandmother takes a little cart with her when she goes to the grocery store near her house. Other people can do the same.

by Anonymousreply 4109/24/2011

sory, large backpack

The wire carts with small wheels can also be purchased at hardware stores.

by Anonymousreply 4209/24/2011

I lived in a high rise apt building right next to a Giant Foods grocery store in Washington DC.

Some people in my building would 'steal' a grocery cart from Giant to push their groceries home to the high rise building, but then leave the grocery cart in the hallway of the apt bldg rather than push it back.

They expected the maintenance men in our high rise apt bldg to push it back for them at the maintenance men's convenience.

by Anonymousreply 4409/24/2011

I bet some of these people are the sames ones who block the shopping aisles in the stores with the carts never bothering to think that there are people all around them who to get through.

People are just rude and clueless in stores. I was in Target this morning. I was walking down one of the aisles and this woman, she didn't have a cart, came out from where the clothing racks were and walks out in front of me a few feet and just f@#king stops!

Stuff like that reminds me of why I need to shop during off hours.

I rarely buy enough at one time to use a cart. When I do I return it when I'm done. Really.

by Anonymousreply 4509/24/2011

I had a rental car that got scratched by a runaway grocery cart. Insurance nightmare because some inconsiderate person left their cart out.

by Anonymousreply 4609/24/2011

Look at it this way.... if everyone brought their carts back to the front of the store they wouldn't need to hire people to do it, so I look at it as saving jobs.

by Anonymousreply 4709/24/2011

They don't hire people just to move and gather carts.

The young men who bag groceries or stock shelves or clean up gather the carts.

by Anonymousreply 4909/24/2011

I remember back in the day when we got full service at the gas station. Not only did they pump our gas, they wiped our windows and checked our oil and tires.

Now, with the debit card at the pump we do it all, they don't even need to pay an employee. Some stations are unmanned. Yet the gas price is still very high.

We used to have baggers bag our groceries with a smile, take it to our car and take the cart back themselves. Now, not only do you all expect us to return our cart, in many places we have to bag our own groceries and in some places we have to be our own cashier!

Well, fuck that. I'm never returning a goddamn cart again, and you all can suck on my big angry dick.

by Anonymousreply 5009/24/2011

True, R49. But they're not supposed to have to run all over the neighborhood to get them back. They are not supposed to be taken off the grocery store lot.

I used to live in a place where the same thing happened that R44 described. People who lived in the apartment building across the street from the grocery store would take the carts back there and up into the floors of the building and leave them there. From time to time you would even be waiting for an elevator and when the elevator doors opened you would see an empty cart abandoned inside.

The custodian used to have to gather up the carts from the various floors each month and then call the grocery store to send one of the stock boys across the street to take them back.

by Anonymousreply 5109/24/2011

400 pound guy here from R13 to the woman at R48... Really? It's too much trouble to take the 30 seconds to put the cart where it belongs so that it doesn't hinder other people? The 'help' is supposed to retrieve the carts from the corrals that are set up for them, not to run around the parking lot gathering the carts that lazy ass people like you just leave where ever you want.

by Anonymousreply 5209/24/2011

[quote] The young men who bag groceries or stock shelves or clean up gather the carts.

These days I see more females bagging groceries, stocking shelves, and retrieving grocery carts than men doing that work.

by Anonymousreply 5309/24/2011

I live about 6 blocks from a grocery store. One time there was an abandoned cart left in my yard and I called the store to let them know about it. They didn't care, they weren't going to send anybody.

by Anonymousreply 5409/24/2011

Laughing from r35.

by Anonymousreply 5509/24/2011

Too bad, R53.

When I go to a grocery store, I expect the stock clerks and grocery baggers to be young, hot 21-year old college students working to pay their tuition.

It should be a law that the help in grocery stores be hot guys in order to show their gratitude to their gay customers.

by Anonymousreply 5609/24/2011

[quote]And I also resent the spaces reserved for pregnant women (who shouldn't be treated any different anyway)

R43, have you ever been handicapped? It's not really any different from the advanced states of pregnancy.

by Anonymousreply 5709/24/2011

R57, have you ever been pregnant?

by Anonymousreply 5809/24/2011

Wow. R48 is the oldest DL poster ever!

by Anonymousreply 5909/24/2011

Heinen's Fine Foods in Cleveland as R23 mentioned is a great store to shop at. Great store to shop at and nit having to deal with putting the groceries in your trunk is wonderful. Plus looking at all the hot high school guys who put the groceries in your trunk is an added plus. For those of you in Chicago, Heinens is coming your way in the spring of 2012.

by Anonymousreply 6009/24/2011

No, R58. Still, since the last time I posted.

by Anonymousreply 6109/24/2011

God, R48, you are a LOSER.

A fat loser, as well. Lazy bitch!

by Anonymousreply 6209/24/2011

Speaking of lazy, why not just order your groceries online? I find it's less expensive and I tend to do less impulse buying. Plus, I know the masses haven't been touching and contaminating the stuff I bring home.

by Anonymousreply 6309/24/2011

Heinen's is heaven. More stores should try this method.

by Anonymousreply 6409/24/2011

[quote]Plus, I know the masses haven't been touching and contaminating the stuff I bring home.

Saves you time that could be better spent on therapy for your OCD.

by Anonymousreply 6509/24/2011

[quote]Plus, I know the masses haven't been touching and contaminating the stuff I bring home.

When you order produce online, they have an employee go and gather your stuff from the produce section. The same section customers are touching. They don't have a secret online produce section in the back of the store just for you, sweet cheeks.

by Anonymousreply 6609/24/2011

My pet peeve is non-handicapped people who park in handicapped spaces. I'm not disabled but I have a straight friend who is and who relies on a motorized scooter. So many times I've see inconsiderate assholes pull into a handicapped space in front of a grocery store just so they can "Just run in and get a few things." Assholes...I called the police one time and one fat ass bitch got a hefty ticket. After the cop left I found her waiting for me and she started to scream at me. I just laughed and left. BTW...that ticket cost her $500!

by Anonymousreply 6709/24/2011

Not true where I purchase my online groceries, r66, doll.

by Anonymousreply 6809/24/2011

[quote]I find that people in poorer areas don't return carts as much as people in wealthier 'hoods do....

Not true. At the Kroger and Brookshire's here they have guys who wheel out your groceries. You frequently see tanned and fit soccer moms impatiently tapping their widdle feet because they're having to wait 30 seconds until the overworked help can take out their shopping.

They think nothing of wheeling out their own stuff, tossing it into the Subaru and leaving the cart anywhere. This is based on my own observation and several unhappy cart guys who have to round up all the carts the entitled slobs have left all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 6909/24/2011

And where is that, R68?

by Anonymousreply 7009/24/2011

R68, you ever thought of being completely free of having your produce fingered by strangers and getting down on all fours and grazing- no delivery charge and no need to wash the dishes.

by Anonymousreply 7109/24/2011

And then there are the people who park in the fire lanes, since the extra 20 feet from the parking lot would weary their elephantine asses.

by Anonymousreply 7209/24/2011

What gives with the cart littering? I always put mine back and or offer it to somebody heading to the store.

by Anonymousreply 7309/24/2011

I order all of my groceries online.

Delivery is only $5.00 from one place and $9.95 delivery from another place - depending on which place I decide to order from.

I love it. I never have to go to a grocery store (which I do not enjoy)

I do not have a car. Used to shop by bus using large backpack along with large satchel.

by Anonymousreply 7409/24/2011

Where do you live r74?

by Anonymousreply 7509/24/2011

[quote]People who 'steal' grocery carts to push their groceries home should buy their own wire cart with small wheels.

The wire carts can be purchased all over the web.

Oh you're funny. Trust me, people who steal grocery carts are not the sort of people who have internet connections in their homes, or the money with which to buy their own carts.

by Anonymousreply 7609/24/2011

To think I like you, r71.

Many people in the US purchase their groceries from online services; services that are located in warehouses, where exposure is limited, efficient, economical, organic (if you believe that), and time saving. Reserve your judgement, my friend.

by Anonymousreply 7709/24/2011

"Plus, I know the masses haven't been touching and contaminating the stuff I bring home."

WTF are you talking about?

My mom is nearly blind, so she can no longer shop like she used to. I usually shop for her at Costco, when she needs other food items, she calls her local supermarket to order them.

The woman who takes the order, literally does the shopping for my mom while on a cell phone. The woman pushes a cart as my mom reads off her list of items.

Doing the orders this way, if the store doesn't have a certain item, my mom can tell the young woman right then and there to substitute it. It's a very good idea.

ALL the items are from the same shelves and produce sections where others shop, so I have no idea what the hell you are going on about.

Where the hell do you place an order where others cannot touch any items?! Stop lying!

by Anonymousreply 7809/24/2011

I live in St. Louis. The slum docs hand out handicap waivers for handicap parking for a bribe so often that the spaces are known as Hoosier and Ghetto VIP Parking. ("Hoosier" is St. Louis slang for trashy white, not Indianan, although the roots are the same.)

While the cart-return issue appears everywhere, I've noticed that it's more often women of whatever socio-economic status and age who leave the carts all over the place. This is from long observation (as a researcher I collect these data by reflex) - not bashing women and men do it too, but it's women who are doing it more often. And it is more usual in working class and poor neighborhoods, and among older women.

Of course in the poorest neighborhoods carts are blocked close to the store entrances because people walk off with them, because they don't drive and carts just disappear.

As an aside, and as with most issues, while men are far and away the more violent and overtly socially disruptive members of society, they also tend to follow coded behaviors much more rigidly than do women when it comes to public politeness. This probably stems from men working in groups for centuries in hierarchical settings and knowing how vulnerable they are to "going off." Good guys follow the rules so everyone knows they're not looking for trouble. Men (not young men playing out their rebel phases) will put carts away because that's what you're supposed to do and it makes problems if you don't.

Women, who pride themselves on their sensitivity and caring, as a group don't give a shit about such things in public settings. They are focused on the small-scale. More often than men, they will be "rude" in anonymous situations where not following rules can be gotten away with, such as not putting a cart back. More women will drive with less courtesy, as well, for the same reasons.

Men don't want to provoke a fight they're not interested in. Women think they're asserting their independence and, really, they just don't "get" public life yet, still being relatively new to the formerly all-male world of day-to-day public life they formerly were excluded from. We forget that women have been in the workplace en masse and fully for less than 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 7909/24/2011

I'm not lying, r78.

I think it's wonderful your blind mother doesn't need to trip over a displaced shopping cart, bless her heart.

by Anonymousreply 8009/24/2011

I park next to a cart caddy. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 8109/24/2011

R76, the wire carts with small wheels can be purchased at Target, Walmart, Kmart, almost all hardware stores, some grocery stores like Giant Foods -

almost all hardware stores is a place to start.

by Anonymousreply 8209/24/2011

Good for you, r67. I am sick of seeing people pull up to the disabled spaces (usually in a sport car or a luxury suv), sure, they have the disabled badge to display, but I never seem to see any disability in these people whatsoever. Most of them aren't even fat or old, just "disabled", I mean what qualifies you to get one of these badges? It is insane.

by Anonymousreply 8309/24/2011

Fuck You R80 and not in a good way.

Name the damn store where you order your pure untouched-by-human-hands produce! You know you can't.

Ironically, your produce is most likely chock full of pesticides and other chemicals. It's still tainted, if not by other shoppers, produce is NEVER 100% pure!

There ALWAYS has to be some utter asshole on DL to shit all over a good thread. R80, is a shit stirring troll.

by Anonymousreply 8409/24/2011

This thread smells of the Red Dragon Cheese Queen.

by Anonymousreply 8509/24/2011

[quote]This thread smells of the Red Dragon Cheese Queen.

You should have taken your anti psychotics today.

by Anonymousreply 8609/24/2011

Time for r84 to return to the bipolar thread. I didn't say the food is untouched. I said exposure is limited.

Jesus Christ, hun, relax.

by Anonymousreply 8709/24/2011

But the exposure is not limited. It is the same food that everyone else sees and touches.

by Anonymousreply 8809/24/2011

R75, Minneapolis

by Anonymousreply 8909/24/2011

Wrong, r87.

by Anonymousreply 9009/24/2011

I don't wheel my cart back to the store or to a corral for the same reason I do not use the self-check out: to make sure that the store does the job, which at least somewhat insures that they need employees to do the job. Let me add that I do NOT leave a cart in a handicap spot, let it roll into another car, etc. However, the way employers are thinning out their ranks by "encouraging" customers to do the job that an employee would normally do . . . THIS disgusts me.

by Anonymousreply 9109/24/2011

OP, just get yourself a sugar daddy and hire a help to do your grocery shopping.

by Anonymousreply 9209/24/2011

[quote]Even more heinous when they leave it to block a handicap spot.

This makes me so mad! What kind of sociopathic fuck would do something like this?

by Anonymousreply 9309/24/2011

Here in California only 1 out of every 20 people with a handicap sticker is actually disabled, so perhaps they have just become jaded as to the whole respect the handicap process.

by Anonymousreply 9409/24/2011

You know you're an asshole when even when the supermarket provides "corrals" all over the parking lot where you can place your carts (similar to what you see at IKEA or Home Depot), you still leave it behind someone's car.

by Anonymousreply 9509/24/2011

[quote]Most of them aren't even fat or old, just "disabled", I mean what qualifies you to get one of these badges? It is insane.

I-I-I-I'm a-a-a-a s-s-s-s-t-t-t-u-t-t-t-terer, y-y-y-y-ou p-p-p-p-p-prick.

by Anonymousreply 9609/24/2011

I don't put it back because I figure it's job security for that kid that is in the lot collecting them. I like when one kid manages to get like twenty and starts rolling all of them down the lane and one gets away. Good entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 9709/24/2011

I religiously return the cart to the corral at stores out of respect for the workers and other patrons cars. However, a local home improvement center decided to eliminate 2/3 of the corrals after a parking lot resurfacing. They went from one per parking row to one every third row. All guilt and feeling of obligation went away when I realized I would have to navigate two rows of parked cars just to put the cart away.

Luckily a small pack of carts were congregating near the middle of my row, so I left my cart with its new friends. I noticed these packs formed all over the lot over subsequent visits.

A year later the corrals mysteriously re-appeared in the general vicinity of the cart packs.

by Anonymousreply 9809/24/2011

I can't believe I read the whole thread!

by Anonymousreply 9909/25/2011

if I don't bring it back to the store I put my cart in a place where it's not going to block anyone.

I think not putting your cart back is fairly minor as a stand alone thing, but it signals a mindsight where people who don't do that, or leave them in inconvenient place, are like this in all parts of their lives: they overeat, shrug responsibility, and are not 'outside of themselves.'

Maybe they were in a rush, had to go visit a sick relative. Maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 10009/25/2011

I'm a returner. Our Safeway has a bagger lady who is about 4'10", wears a wig which I think is not so much for looks as for not having any hair, and I swear she is well past 80. Been there for years and still asks me every time if I need help to my car. One of these days I'm going to take her up on it and on the way out ask her how the hell old are you anyway.

Our store has hired hamdicapped (Downs) and older (way older) people for many years. Between them and the neighborhood (ethno-changing,) it's never dull down there.

by Anonymousreply 10109/25/2011

[quote]I am sick of seeing people pull up to the disabled spaces (usually in a sport car or a luxury suv), sure, they have the disabled badge to display, but I never seem to see any disability in these people whatsoever. Most of them aren't even fat or old, just "disabled", I mean what qualifies you to get one of these badges? It is insane.

So the spaces should be used just for people with visible handicaps? My mom has severe asthma and walking outdoors any considerable distance makes her cough and wheeze for several minutes. You can't see it but there it is. She has a handicap card.

by Anonymousreply 10209/25/2011

Where do you people live??

Here in FL, they pay grocery folks to gather up the carts and bring them back. Nobody returns their carts -- nobody.

by Anonymousreply 10309/25/2011

Not true, r103.

by Anonymousreply 10409/25/2011

My local supermarket doesn't allow the carts into the parking lot, they can't fit through the barriers just outside the door. They do something called a "car order" where they ticket your bags and you drive up to retrieve them with a claim ticket.

by Anonymousreply 10509/25/2011

[quote]if I don't bring it back to the store I put my cart in a place where it's not going to block anyone.

R100, You mean that you're careful about where you park the cart if you don't TAKE it back to the store. Thank you for being courteous.

I once saw a man parked in a handicapped space unloading his cart with one hand while leaning on a crutch, then he leaned on the empty cart while he put the crutch in the car & slid in himself -- of course the cart had to stay there in the parking space because he wasn't able to move it after he'd used it to help himself into the car. So now I like to think that's the explanation for all the carts sitting in handicapped spaces, & no doubt it is sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 10609/25/2011

lol, r99.

That's exactly what I'm thinkng, too.

by Anonymousreply 10709/25/2011

Here in Florida the cart attendants are usually very angry because of the heat. Ive almost been run over by their cart movers. I know they block the traffic with a line of one hundred carts on purpose. I would to, people are assholes who leave their carts everyplace.

by Anonymousreply 10809/25/2011

Damn these shoppers for giving me a job!

by Anonymousreply 10909/25/2011

[quote] Damn these shoppers for giving me a job!

They still get paid to retrieve the carts from the corrals, ya moron.

by Anonymousreply 11009/25/2011

Yes, retrieving the cart from 100 feet over there, they are paid to do. Retrieving the cart from 100 feet over the other way and they have it so tough here in America.

by Anonymousreply 11109/25/2011

I think grocery stores should hire sharpshooters to lurk in the parking lot. As soon as anyone abandons his cart in the lot, he should be immediately shot in the head until dead.

by Anonymousreply 11209/25/2011

Good idea R112. Maybe not shoot 'em dead. Just wing 'em. Or make them wear a 'scarlett letter/s". LA for lazy ass.

by Anonymousreply 11309/25/2011

"but it signals a mindsight where people who don't do that, or leave them in inconvenient place, are like this in all parts of their lives: they overeat, shrug responsibility, and are not 'outside of themselves."

by Anonymousreply 11409/25/2011

R103, how do you know that the workers gathering up the carts in the parking lot are not people who stock the shelves or baggers or cleaning people or people who label the prices for every item, etc.

How do you know 'they are paid to collect the carts'?

You seem to be making quite a assumption - as if you know that these people are paid especially just to gather carts.

by Anonymousreply 11509/25/2011

Great idea R112! And if they hork up a wad of phlegm or spit out gum onto the pavement, they get shot in the knee first, then in the head 5 minutes later. Then there are the people who empty all the trash out of their car onto the parking lot... including dirty baby diapers.

I've never not returned a cart. And I get a cart from the corral to take into the store with me. All this becomes ridiculously easy when you look for a parking spot near or next to the corral. I see all sorts leave their carts in empty parking spaces, but see it most often at the local redneck grocery store, Along with the aforementioned diapers.

by Anonymousreply 11609/26/2011

[quote]but it signals a mindsight where people who don't do that, or leave them in inconvenient place, are like this in all parts of their lives: they overeat, shrug responsibility, and are not 'outside of themselves.

But what about the people who can't be bothered to learn words like "mindset" or "shirk"?

by Anonymousreply 11709/26/2011

my peeve isn't so much the carts, but the parents who let their children run all over expecting everyone else to look after them. I was in the store a while ago- little tyke running around having fun- pulling out the lowest apples on the display- of course all the ones on top rolled onto the floor. The mother just gathered her up and walked on.

by Anonymousreply 11809/26/2011

What the hell is a "grocery cart"?

by Anonymousreply 11909/26/2011

Everyone in this thread sounds like a hysterical hausfrau. This is the same type of cuntastic debate you find on One Million

by Anonymousreply 12009/26/2011

You use the table in a restaurant, why don't you go ahead and clean it off, "putting it back in place" for the next customer?

by Anonymousreply 12109/26/2011

This thread reeks of flyoverville!

"400 pound guy here" - Don't eat for a year. Two problems solved! No food, no groceries!

by Anonymousreply 12209/26/2011

R122, not everybody is single and can fit their groceries on their back.

How pretentious and unflattering.

by Anonymousreply 12309/26/2011

[quote]not everybody is single and can fit their groceries on their back.

I bet that 400 lb behemoth is .

by Anonymousreply 12409/26/2011

If I use a cart I put it in the corral/collection area especially when I'm in a parkinglot where there's a hill.

Most of the time I just use a basket and that stays in the store while I carry bags out.

by Anonymousreply 12509/26/2011

why do you feel the need to call names? You could present your case more diplomatically and score more points with observers. Instead you come across as hateful and immature.

by Anonymousreply 12609/26/2011

I find this stuff just fascinating ! I have never bought groceries, in any large amount that required the obviously grueling, tragic ordeals that happen to common folks like yourselves everyday.

Makes me thank God I can afford restaurants, the occasional caterers and food delivery .

Just one question.

If food gathering is such a hard arduous labour intensive activity, why are you poor people all so fat?

by Anonymousreply 12709/26/2011

I don't know any poor people who are fat, only middle class.

by Anonymousreply 12809/26/2011

"Why do you feel the need to call names?"

Because you are an obese hog. you are, unless you're 20 feet tall and 400 pounds.

"You could present your case more diplomatically..."

My dear sir/madame,

You, being the subject at hand, are lazy, except when it comes to your binge-consuming, which causes problems for you and those around you.

"...and score more points with observers."

You, Sir/Madame, are not an observer, but the subject of our ridicule.

"Instead you come across as hateful and immature."

More accurately, dismissive, healthy and smug.

You, on the other hand, remind us of the pathetic lead character in "A Confederacy of Dunces."

by Anonymousreply 12909/26/2011

Use your trolldar. You'll find out the one calling you immature and hateful isn't the same one who said he's 400 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 13009/26/2011

Rat's ass, R130; given.

by Anonymousreply 13109/26/2011

r122 is effeminate, right?

by Anonymousreply 13209/26/2011

I think these people who don't return their carts to the corral are also hoarders. Have you noticed a correlation?

I wish someone would start a thread on how to recognize a hoarder. It starts with the shopping carts.

by Anonymousreply 13309/26/2011

The shopping trolleys here take one and two dollar coins to release and they get returned for the most part. My local shop (and others) have a number you can call for abandoned trolleys in ditches and the like and you are entered into prize draw when you call one in.

by Anonymousreply 13409/26/2011

[quote]The shopping trolleys here take one and two dollar coins to release and they get returned for the most part.

We have that at airports, but you now have to pay a deposit to use a grocery store's shopping cart? I would never shop there.

by Anonymousreply 13509/26/2011

[quote]We have that at airports, but you now have to pay a deposit to use a grocery store's shopping cart? I would never shop there.

So it DOES work !

I believe that is the whole purpose of the deposit system, to keep lazy fat asses like you away from decent folks . If only the deposit system could be implemented in all areas of society.

by Anonymousreply 13609/26/2011

It fascinates me that people have ridiculed other shoppers using a cart. "oh i am so metro-sophisticated that i never dine in, or carry more than a yoghurt and a bag of crisps from the market" " oh so large and fab to entertain by diningnout only" pretentious shits probably split the dinner tab between "guests" Some of us have country homes and do entertain guests and provide dinner and a nosh ... and I put back my CART, go ask Danny Wegman! But i do have delivery at my city home. There, pretentious breeds pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 13709/26/2011

If I have an infant in a car seat waiting, that cart is just pushed aside and out of everyones way. If I am alone, I will wheel it back to the store.

by Anonymousreply 13809/26/2011

Why couldn't you push the cart back to store or corral with the infant in it, and then carry the baby back to the car?

Just wondering.

by Anonymousreply 13909/26/2011

You'd give a fuck if you ever get your car dented by a flying cart, R4.

by Anonymousreply 14009/26/2011

Mostly OP, because their lazy! Another one is people who use the electric carts because they are too fat to walk.

by Anonymousreply 14109/26/2011

[quote]Many of the chain grocery markets in my city (Atlanta) require the .25 deposit for a cart, but very few of the suburban markets do.

Which ones? Where exactly? I've been here for 10 years and the only one I've ever seen is an Aldi.

by Anonymousreply 14209/26/2011

I return the cart to the corrals or to the store. Where I live the carts are well-tended by staff so it's rare to see one left in the wrong place. I'm lucky, too, in that the stores are well staffed so the lines are never long.

All of which leaves me with one big gripe: [bold]shoppers who park their carts in the store in the aisles without regard for other shoppers being able to pass.[/bold] They park mid-aisle, on the diagonal, load their carts from the side so as to make the aisle completely impassable, or chat on their phones, and then get all humpty when someone says, "Excuse me, may I pass?"

by Anonymousreply 14309/26/2011

These are also the same people who just leave their empty bins on the belt at the airport when they go through security....which makes the belt stop and holds up the 200 people in line behind you

by Anonymousreply 14409/26/2011

I spend a small fortune every week at my grocery store and they can have an employee take the cart back into the store.

I barely even get help bagging my groceries.

I either leave the cart in a cart stall on in the parking lot, or move it to the front of the parking area so someone else can still pull in when I leave - but I am not going to walk it back into the store.

by Anonymousreply 14609/26/2011

I have my groceries delivered so I don't have to worry about such ridiculous things.

by Anonymousreply 14709/26/2011

Well. I have people chew my food for me.

by Anonymousreply 14809/26/2011

Some heartwarming news for you shopping cart users. I never touch them. I shop every few days in small quantities.

Fecal bacteria — that is, germs from poop — can be found on 72% of shopping carts, MSNBC reports. It’s yet another icky finding from University of Arizona microbiologist Charles Gerba, PhD, sometimes called “Dr. Germ.” In his latest report, Gerba reportedly found traces of fecal bacteria on the handles of 61 of 85 shopping carts tested in four states. Half of the 36 carts subjected to further testing yielded evidence of E. coli bacteria. Some strains of E. coli can cause severe infections. But before you start to shun your local grocery, note that no disease outbreaks have (yet) been traced to shopping carts. Gerba has correctly pointed out that most of the infections people get come not from airborne droplets, as we tend to think, but from germs we’ve picked up on our hands and transferred to our mouths, noses, or eyes. In recent years, Gerba has warned of bacterial and/or viral contamination in reusable shopping bags, airplane bathrooms and seat-back trays, airport kiosks, ground-floor elevator buttons, bachelor pads, water fountain toggles, pencil sharpeners, keyboards, faucet handles, desktops, faucet handles, paper towel dispensers, shared touchpads such as iPads, cutting boards, shoes, well water, playground equipment, and just about anything touched by children.

by Anonymousreply 15009/27/2011

I totally agree with the people that don't put carts back in their proper spots especially when your parked right by the corral. i work in retail and its one of dutties to retrieve those carts. when i see people getting ready to leave them in the parking spaces i grab them a.s.a.p. then the ones in the corral. i just people weren't so dang lazy.

by Anonymousreply 15105/29/2012

Those studies on grocery cart germs are grossly exaggerated. Look where you shop, the customers and clerks. It's pretty obvious that high traffic and demographics will make a big difference in your store and the results at the specific store. My market is always cleaning them anyway.

by Anonymousreply 15205/29/2012

R149, they aren't banned yet. You're a fucking liar.

by Anonymousreply 15305/29/2012

I love returning the cart- I run and ride it on the way back.

by Anonymousreply 15405/29/2012

I love how this thread shows people for who they are.

The same people that say "ooooh, you're an asshole for caring where the carts go" are the same ones who just generally don't give a shit….who don't complete their work, who don't know how to spell or write but will complain to high heaven if you call them on it, etc.

People are just fucking rude and entitled these days, and they don't give a fuck. It's very sad.

by Anonymousreply 15505/29/2012

[quote][R149], they aren't banned yet. You're a fucking liar.

Stupid r153 -- LA County banned the bags as has Long Beach and several other cities around LA. LA City just moved to ban them last week, and they'll be gone in about a year.

by Anonymousreply 15605/29/2012

[quote]after she leaves the cart rolls into the space? How the hell does that happen? Does the earth tilt and cause the cart to roll? If the cart is going to roll it will roll before she leaves. Idiot.

Wind dear. I live in a coastal area that can get very high winds. If the carts are left out in the lot then the wind pushes them all over the place bashing into parked cars. My car has nicks and scratches all over it because of lazy asses who can't seem to manage the energy to put it into the corral. People like this are usually people who you wouldn't like anyway. Selfish and unthinking.

by Anonymousreply 15705/29/2012

One reason for the unpleasantness of shopping is that half of all people are on some kind of medication. This is especially true for Target, Walmart, and Costco shoppers. Everyone is zonked-out on something, and are so spaced out they block the ailes, don't return the carts, and drive haphazardly in the parking lots. I cut people slack nowadays.

And one of the reasons some women don't return carts is because they have children in the car, have their purse in the car, or are worried that someone will break in and steal thier groceries. And yes, theives only need a few seconds to break your car windows.

by Anonymousreply 15805/29/2012

R15, That would be a goldmine for the homeless people here in LA. They'd fight over the lose carts. It would br hilarius.

by Anonymousreply 15905/29/2012

I see shopping carts rolling along due to wind. Even when it isn't windy, many lots aren't level enough to prevent them from rolling.

by Anonymousreply 16005/29/2012

After I tip bag boy a quarter to load my bags into the car, he takes it away himself. If I have to actually do the work myself, I'm usually too busy talking on my iPhone to be bothered with bringing the cart back. I do push it to the side so I don't run over it. What's the fucking problem?

by Anonymousreply 16105/29/2012

There's a Randall's in a very upscale area here which solved it by having VIP parking in front. You get out shop, they park your car, bring it back and load it. Of course these women shopping there are probably pampered and helpless.

by Anonymousreply 16205/29/2012

R162, the Kroger on West Gray in Houston used to have valley parking in the 90s. That went away when the recession hit, so maybe its return is a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 16305/29/2012

Valley parking?

by Anonymousreply 16405/29/2012

I always push the cart back no matter the distance.

I had a dillemma the other day. When I got to my car someone had let their cart roll against my car. I wanted to just leave it there because it wasn't my cart and I shouldn't have to clean up after some lazy ass. But I returned it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 16505/29/2012

In Texas, is valet usually spelled valley?

by Anonymousreply 16605/29/2012

R156, so, by your own admission, this won't be enacted for a year and so you've lied about people putting all their groceries into their carts unbagged as plastic is still available. You're a fucking liar.

Additionally, this idiotic ban only prevents plastic bags from being available at the check out, it will still be perfectly legal to provide them anywhere else in the stores or their parking lots. Stores which stop providing them will both lose business and find many customers entering with their own plastic bags which can be bought 500 for less than 20 bucks on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 16705/29/2012

OMG, should have been valet obviously.

by Anonymousreply 16805/29/2012

I thought it was kind of a funny mistake, R162/168.

by Anonymousreply 16905/29/2012

I also detest people who seem totally unaware of their surroundings and for whom the idea that other people are in the world (and trying to get by them in the grocery aisle where they have parked up horizontally while they take their leisurely sweet fucking time looking for that item right in front of their big freakin faces) is something they've simply never needed to consider.

by Anonymousreply 17005/29/2012

I'm with you R170. Add to that the moms who let their little demons run up and down aisles forcing others to dodge them. I told one little rugrat to move or I'd have to run over him and got a pissy look from mom who finally did something about the brat as if she'd just noticed that her kid was blocking the entire aisle and there were other people occupying the planet.

by Anonymousreply 17105/29/2012

R171, just sneak in boxes of Pop Tarts and Twizzlers into her cart and she'll be tortured by her amped-up kiddies all day.

by Anonymousreply 17205/29/2012

Yes 171 - they're oblivious and they breed it into their kids. Seems to be a certain demographic too - not the poor either - I see way more of this shit from comfortably mortgaged within an inch of their lives suburbanites. These kids are never ever required to think of anyone but themselves in the world.

by Anonymousreply 17305/29/2012

R167 doesn't seem to understand the difference between LA County & the city of LA.

by Anonymousreply 17405/29/2012

No one gives a shit about Long Beach or Calabasas.

by Anonymousreply 17505/29/2012

You start to realize why fat people are fat. I go to a local library where there's a flight of stairs up to the 2nd floor- and an elevator right beside it. Guess who is always waiting for their one-story ride? It's as if they think having to exert is beneath them.

by Anonymousreply 17605/29/2012

[quote]No one gives a shit about Long Beach or Calabasas.

No one gives a shit about Los Angeles, for that matter. Or Southern California in general.

by Anonymousreply 17705/29/2012

[quote]Yesterday a corral was so full that the carts on the end were pretty much floating off the ground.

I'm confused: how do carts in a corral float off the ground? Is the corral up in the air?

by Anonymousreply 17805/29/2012

[quote]Look at it this way.... if everyone brought their carts back to the front of the store they wouldn't need to hire people to do it, so I look at it as saving jobs.

Like r97, douche bags all use this as their reason to feel good about their dickish self-entitlement. They are too narcissistic to realize that we can all tell instantly what pricks they are!

by Anonymousreply 17905/29/2012

People who don't put their carts away = sows at the trough

by Anonymousreply 18205/30/2012

As someone who bagged groceries when I was in high school, grocery stores do not hire someone just to retrieve carts. Baggers and stockers are the ones who have to take the time out of their jobs (with more important things to do) to do cart duty. So, when the shelves are not stocked full or there aren't enough baggers it's because lazy and/or entitled people don't have the common sense or courtesy to return the carts.

by Anonymousreply 18305/30/2012

I just saw this thread for the first time. Please return your carts. My beloved grandmother was in the parking lot of the grocery store and a cart someone left started rolling into the driving lane (it was a rainy, blustery day). A car that was going too fast hit it and it shot like a rocket across the parking lot, between cars and straight into my poor grandma, knocking her into her car. And then it bounced off the next car and ricocheted back at her as she was falling, striking her again and catching her in the underpart with her purse, because she was carrying it above her elbow in case there were purse thieves, like she saw on Dragnet once.

The cart dragged her then, because of the force and the fact that the grocery chain had just gotten new carts and the wheels were really smooth. The cart stopped in the driving lane just as a pickup truck - a Ford - drove up and it hit her, crushing the metal of the basket of the cart down on her. The first car kept driving - maybe they didn't know what happened, but the truck stopped. His cell phone battery was dead and he had to run into the store to get help, wasting precious time and allowing two teenagers to come up and get into her purse (it was all caught in the meddle but they cut it open with a knife and stole her money and ID and keys and since there was only one Buick right there they figure out which was her car and stole it. In the meantime a fire truck came and they had to use the jaws of life to get Grandma out of the twisted metal. She was busted up bad and blood pooled all over the lot where the accident happened and the police and EMTs and firemen kept slipping and falling on the wet pavement and getting all bloody. The news people arrived and it ended up on YouTube and my family had to sue to get it off because they put Three Stooges music on as the police and all kept slipping and sliding and falling in the blood and oil from the wet parking lot.

Anyway, they took her to the hospital and she had two broken hips, a fractured skull, two broken arms, four broken ribs, a ruptured spleen, a broken fibula and multiple contusions and abrasions. She had no skin on her elbows and the dragging made them look like bad scrimshaw.

She was doing okay and had just come out of her coma about two weeks after the accident when the flesh eating bacteria infection took hold, and after that we just lost Grandma by inches. Literally.

So please put your carts away. We couldn't even have an open coffin, and around here that makes people suspicious. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 18405/30/2012

You know some people are stupid "asses" to think the handicapped can easily return the electric scooters to where they got them. Maybe it's the less handicapped (if they are at all) that shouldn't even use the scooters! Where I shop they are always watching to pick up their scooter. Ya' know they are expensive and they stores are not obligated to supply them.

by Anonymousreply 18506/02/2012

OP, thank you for putting my cart away for me. Now you can be my bitch full time. Come over and rub my fat feet. NOW !

by Anonymousreply 18606/02/2012

It's already been mentioned but I hate the people who block the aisles with their carts and their fat asses. Sometimes saying "Excuse me" once isn't enough to get them to move.

What the hell is wrong with people?!

by Anonymousreply 18706/02/2012

Grocery shopping is literally like being hypnotized. People just wander until they see the brand of detergent or bacon that their mother used to use. People are low grade zombies at the store. Which is good b/c they move slowly. The ankle clipping freaks who tear around the store are the ones to watch out for.

by Anonymousreply 18806/02/2012

Here's the perfect answer to resolve this cart issue problem. Install monitors in the parking lot and record who's stealing and not returning carts to the corral. Next, have a big ass, wide screen monitor installed in the store to have all customers view the weekly thieves and lazy ass low lifes that steal and don't return their carts! okay, just kidding, but wouldn't you think it would work? Might lose some of the lazy customers though.

by Anonymousreply 18912/04/2012

I remember mentioning on a thread a few years ago that I couldn't put the cart away and the response I got, you'd think I murdered someone. So thanks to the cuntiness of the DL, I NEVER put carts away anymore. If I can, I put them on a slope at just enough of an angle to allow me to get away before the wind moves the cart enough for it to begin it's descent into the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 19012/04/2012

They have employees who go out and get the carts. It's job security. Plus, it gives us a chance to get outside for air.

Find a real problem to get worked up over. You know, such as people going hungry, even here in the USA, homelessness, environmental degradation...Consider yourself lucky that this is all you have to complain about.

by Anonymousreply 19112/04/2012

I only complain when I see a cart with a dirty diaper in it.

by Anonymousreply 19212/04/2012

[quote]I only complain when I see a cart with a dirty diaper in it.

This belongs in the "People Who Poop in Stores" thread. Is everyone pooping in public now, even babies?

by Anonymousreply 19312/04/2012

I saw a guy empty his urine drainage bag in the parking lot of a Meijer. Right out in the open. He plopped it on the seat of the cart first.

Use those complimentary antiseptic wipes, Ladies and Gentlemen.

by Anonymousreply 19412/04/2012

I never but my cart back and never will.

The store closest to home never has anybody checking people out and forces you to use to self checkout. It gets really old getting stuck behind somebody who just doesn't get the concept of using it.

I remember when you got rung up by a real human being--one who was paid a union wage, had a cute young bag boy bring your cart to your can and load your bags for you.

Corporate grocery stores have cut all of the service to the bone. They can bring their own carts in from the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 19512/04/2012

We're trying to figure out how to get customers to stock the shelves too.

by Anonymousreply 19612/04/2012

True Story:

I was scolded by none other than Sharon Stone the one time I didn't put away my grocery cart. She told me: "Did you ever think that your cart could hit the car of someone without a job and cost them money they don't have? You really should think about these things."

by Anonymousreply 19712/04/2012

I think alot (not all mind you, but many) of the people who ride about in the electric shopping carts are grossly obese and look like huge piles of flesh whirring around buying more food to make themselves even fatter. Walking around would probably do them good to get some of the blubber off. I usually return carts because it gives one exercise. I also park fairly distant from the store entrance so there is more walking involved as well. And whoever mentioned that not returning carts and littering are probably done by the same people are absolutely correct--brain dead, irresponsible twerps who scarcely know they live on planet earth.

by Anonymousreply 19812/05/2012

Ignorant stupid asses! I hate when I see the cart against a car with a new ding in the door! These people are sooooooo ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 19907/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!