Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm seriously considering getting my first smartphone after having resisted the temptation for quite some time due in large part to the higher monthly price that comes with the mandatory data plan. While I seem to get by just fine with a basic talk and text phone, there have been quite a few instances over the past year or two where I could see how a smartphone would've really come in handy simply by having the internet readily available for accessing information or for navigation purposes or for the myriad of useful functions that apps now provide.

I'm curious to know what smartphone you use or have used, why you prefer it over another, and what you use it for most. I realize a lot of people are fans of the iphone and I'm very open to that as an option, but I'm also interested in the experiences and opinions of Android phone users as there are quite a few competitive options in the Android market these days.

by A. Graham Bellreply 28103/27/2013

I've had every iteration of the iPhone and love most of it, exceptions being the inability to swap batteries and being forced to use AT&T or Verizon. That said, the new iPhone 5 -- due to be announced in two weeks -- will be available on Sprint, and I'm hoping they continue to offer unlimited data plans for it.

Android phones are really hit or miss, depending on the version. By far the biggest difference between them and the iPhone is that Google allows both the telcos and the OEMs (original manufacturers) to customize the user interface, so some look vastly different than others. Another problem is that, due to said differing interfaces, different Android phones get updates to different Android OS updates at different times -- and in some cases not at all. If you bought, for instance, an early Android phone that wasn't a sales success and was dropped by its telco, odds are you'll never be able to update the OS again. The one phone you're assured of being able to update at the earliest opportunity is the Nexus S, and only because it's made (indirectly) by Google itself.

As for operability, they're not all that different, and all the major apps out there are available for both OSs. The one large difference is that Android phones (even the oldest ones) come with built-in Google Maps with voice navigation, whereas iPhones have Google Maps but no nav capabilities.

by A. Graham Bellreply 109/23/2011

I am a Sprint customer and excited to hear they will be receiving the IPhone sometime next month. I have an older HTC Hero which I don't mind. My boyfriend has a beautiful EVO, which aesthetically seems nicer than the IPhone.

Not sure why I have a smartphone, other than just to have one. I like checking my email and checking the internet. I don't really use any apps at all. Maybe I would more on the IPhone.

Just curious, I will have a $75 upgrade credit with Sprint. How much do new IPhones usually cost on the other networks (ATT, Verizon) for existing customers looking to upgrade? I would imagine Sprint would price theirs comparably.

The phone is listed for $199 on apple's website. Is that the going rate for the phone or just for new customers?

by A. Graham Bellreply 309/23/2011

r3, Verizon currently offers the iphone 4 16GB for $199.99 for new customers or for those elligible for an upgrade. The full retail price is a ridiculous $649.99. The 32GB is $100 more both ways.

It seems like Apple sets the prices and are rarely, if ever, discounted it seems. I imagine Sprint will be selling it for the same price as AT&T and Verizon.

by A. Graham Bellreply 409/23/2011

My only concern is that as an existing customer, my $75 phone upgrade for will barely make a dent in the $649.99 price tag. I was just curious if someone who is an existing customer on ATT or Verizon could tell me how much they are offering the Iphone 4 for.

by A. Graham Bellreply 509/23/2011

MetroPCS customer with a Samsung SCH-R910 aka Indulge.

Good enough but battery life is really bad on voice. The solution is to tether the thing when I'm in the office.

I have my Google Voice number pointed at it. I like that feature, caller ID's it doesn't recognize it prompts the caller to leave a message, it then calls me and plays the message and if I accept connects me to the caller.

by A. Graham Bellreply 609/23/2011

I got my phone for $99. here. I'm a member of Amtrak's frequent traveler program, and got two free one way trips too. Great prices. I got the HTC Evo Android phone with Sprint. I love it.

by A. Graham Bellreply 709/23/2011

Translation from the verbose: "I'm thinking about getting my first smartphone. Any suggestions?"

by A. Graham Bellreply 809/23/2011

Exactly, r8!

by A. Graham Bellreply 909/23/2011

I've also had every iPhone. I know nothing of the others. Here's what I like about my iPhone:

Visual Voicemail: I don't have to go through each message (hitting save or erase) to get to the one I want to listen to. On the iPhone, my voicemail is listed on the phone. I can pick and choose which voicemail I want to listen to and I hear it right away. I don't have to hear some annoying woman's voice saying "One new message. First saved message." It's simple but that is what I love most about my phone

Texting: you see your texting conversation like an instant messaging session on AOL. Instead of just seeing the most recent text, you can follow the whole conversation

Calendar and Notes: I used to carry a little pocket calendar around before I got my iPhone. Now I don't have to. I keep track of my entire schedule and can make lists and notes with it. It's all in my phone.

GPS/maps: I have a little blue dot on a map at all times that tells me where I am. I can find my way around anywhere with it. I use the directions feature all the time which can give you the directions as a written list or as a map with a line directing your trip.

The Internet: easy navigation of the Internet

Email: easy access to email

Size: I have an iPad and I do like it (I'm using it right now) but sometimes, I prefer surfing the Internet or checking email on my phone because it's a small and easy to hold.

Of course, there are dozens of great apps. My favorites are IMDB, Flixter (it has rottentomatoes on it to help you decide what movie you want to see and you can easily buy tickets; all on your little phone), Arclight Cinemas (not only can you buy the tickets to movies at that theater but you don't even need to retrieve your tickets at a kiosk; they scan your ticket right off your phone), Grindr and Scruff (to meet other gay people; I prefer this to a bar)

Oh and I forgot about the camera! It takes great pictures AND videos which you can instantly text, email, or tweet. I take videos a lot. Instead of showing friends a picture of cute little nieces, I can show a short 5 second video. On that note, one of the sweetest birthday presents I got last year was a FaceTime call from my brother and his family. It was so cool to see them as well as hear from them. In general, I don't use FaceTime (do I really WANT people to see me all the time? no) but in a time like that, it's sweet.

Oh and the iPod too, combined with having the iTunes store through the Internet. Basically, by having an iPhone you can very quickly find a song, buy a song, and listen to it. It's pretty amazing.

by A. Graham Bellreply 1009/23/2011

I've resisted, and still resist.

You don't really need one, unless you're really some important person who needs to be plugged in so much at all times.

On vacation, certainly it can be worth it...or if you travel a lot for work or something.

But for the average person, I think it's pretty indulgent and not necessary...although all the smartphone zombies will easily disagree.

by A. Graham Bellreply 1109/23/2011

If you are concerned about call quality and ease of use as an actual phone, don't get an iPhone.

by A. Graham Bellreply 1209/23/2011

Interesting, why do you say that r12?

Anyone have the HTC Droid Incredible 2, LG Revolution, or the new Droid 3??

Thanks for outlining why you like the iphone, r10. It sounds great, I just wish you could remove/replace the battery from the iphone.

by A. Graham Bellreply 1309/24/2011

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, I know who has an iPhone bitches about using it as a phone. They love everything else about it, but hate it as a telephone.

I have an Android phone that's a similar shape as an iPhone and it is not particularly pleasant to use for more than brief conversations.

by A. Graham Bellreply 1409/24/2011

Yes, the signal is bad if you hold the bottom left corner, ESP for the Internet. And sometimes your face mutes the call and that's really annoying but everything I mentioned in my original post more than makes up for it. R11- I wouldn't call it indulgent. I'd call it efficient. What's better:

A) Phone, keys, wallet, AND notepad/calendar in my pockets

B) iPhone, keys, and wallet in my pockets

Having one gadget to do many things is just efficient.

by A. Graham Bellreply 1509/24/2011

Also- before I had am iPhone, when I had to go places, I would print out directions from MapQuest. Now, I don't have to. And trees are saved.

by A. Graham Bellreply 1609/24/2011

If you have a Mac at home, an iPhone might be your best bet.

But if you have Windows at home (especially Windows 7) or an XBox, you'd be wise to take a look at WP7 phones.

They're beautiful, easy to use, and especialy if you use social media at all (facebook or twitter) they're superior to the iPhone and Android options in many ways.

The new version of Windows Phone is being released in the next couple of weeks (just like the next version of iPhone), and new phones have already been announced. Checked out these from HTC. The Samsung Focus also gets good reviews. It's available from multiple carriers too, so you won't have to switch.

by A. Graham Bellreply 1709/24/2011

I don't know a single person with an Android that doesn't bitch about it. Mostly about batterly life, crashes, and just general inconsistency.

If you're a geeky nerd and lik e hacking and customizing and twittling... AND you're invested in Google services (search, mail, contacts, calendar, and google+) it might be your option.

But literally, unlike iPhone and WP7, if you hand your Android to another Android user, you aren't guarenteed they'll be able to use it or find anything. They can be "customized" to the point of being unrecognizable and unusable by anyone else. They're also a lot more complicated to use, adn not nearly as intuitive. It's also had its share of malware and viruses.

iPhone is probably the simplest to use, but you're also pretty tethered to iTunes. I have an iPhone, but since I have windows at home, and iTunes on Windows sucks really hard. I'll be moving to WP7 in the next few months soley to get away from iTunes.

WP7 isn't super popular yet but it does have a ton of apps, XBox Live integration, unprecidented Facebook and Twitter integration, integration with MS Office, and by far the best app for syncing with (the Zune software... it's gorgeous). With "Zune Pass", you can stream and download and use any song in the music library for "free" (just the monthly fee), including sharing the playlists of any of your friends. Zune Pass is pretty awesome. Plus you can use it on your XBox and laptop as well... any Windows/Microsoft device you have. You have one "Windows Live ID" that pulls it all together.

ALso, Windows Phone 7 and Windows on the desktop/laptop will be converging in Windows 8 (and WP8), meaning apps will run across Windows, your phone, and your XBox... and data will flow between them as well. Some very cool stuff in the pipeline.

For all these reasons, I'm switching from iPhone to WP7 as soon as my contract is up.

You should check WP7 out.

by A. Graham Bellreply 1809/24/2011

I justy bought my first smart phone yesterday. A LG Optimus 2X Google , comes with dual core processor, 1080p camcorder, front/back facing cam, 32 gb memory ( I have no idea what all that means though ) .

Got it thru WIND Mobile ( Canada ) for $95 and my unlimited talk text data plan is $29 per month ( no contract either )

Works great .

by A. Graham Bellreply 1909/24/2011

[quote]( I have no idea what all that means though )

How can you not know what that means?

by A. Graham Bellreply 2009/24/2011

OP, please don't listen to these Micro$oft acolytes - WP7 is as DOA as the Zune. Even BlackBerry is toast at this point. R18 is admittedly correct that iTunes for Windows kinda blows, but incorrect that Zune Plus is your only option for unlimited music streaming; there are at least a half-dozen apps available for that on an iPhone, my favorite being Pandora.

As for reception and voice quality issues, I've had none of the latter and plenty of the former, but for that I blame AT&T and its spotty coverage in my area. Btw the much-overblown antenna issues mentioned upthread will undoubtedly be fixed on the iPhone 5.

As for what the iPhone 5 is believed to have: a vastly stronger/quicker processor (the same dual one used in the iPad 2), an 8MP Sony-made camera (the iPhone 4 has a 5MP one) with full HD video capabilities, a much larger screen (one reason so many Android users like the EVO is because its screen is a full four inches; the iPhone 5 is believed to match it), and seamless capability with iOS 5. The new OS includes unlimited text messaging with iMessage (now currently $15/month more on AT&T), a single Notification Center where all your voicemails, texts and schedule reminders are grouped, and arguably best of all iCloud, which will allow you to sync all of your Apple devices wirelessly and without the need to even *have* a PC. You can also upload your entire music collection, even if its 100GB in size, to the cloud in mere minutes, since Apple already has copies of 99% of the music in the world in its "cloud" and all it needs from you is to upload the song artist and name.

by A. Graham Bellreply 2109/24/2011

R2/R21 is full of shit.

And ZunePass is completely different from Pandora, and if you don't know or understand that, then your opinion on anything else is highly suspect.

I asked the OP to check it out. To give WP7 a look. I think everyone should. To completely dismiss it based on ignorance like that which you are displaying (never mind the apple fan-boyism) is a disservice to not just the platform (which realy is very good), but to the OP and anyone looking for a smart phone.

Simply consider ALL the options before choosing. You would have people reject options without even looking at them. Why is that, I wonder?

by A. Graham Bellreply 2209/24/2011

I am not "full of shit," R22, and I am well-aware that Pandora is different from ZunePass. Since you *insist* that I name some apps that are virtually identical to it, let's start with Spotify, Slacker and Rdio.

[quote]You would have people reject options without even looking at them. Why is that, I wonder?

Because WP7 is inevitably toast -- MS teaming up with Nokia in a desperate attempt to win back market share isn't working -- and buying one would leave the OP with a device as outdated as the VCR in a couple of years. The iPhone and Android WILL dominate the market, period. As such, there will always be fewer apps available for any other mobile OS, since developers aren't going to waste time and money building an app for a device few people use.

Oh, and btw I'm not an Apple "fanboy." I'd be happy with a Nexus S phone, I readily admit Android phones are superior in some ways, and I've owned Windows PC for most of the past 20 years (except for the last two).

by A. Graham Bellreply 2309/24/2011

Android is the future of smartphones.

by A. Graham Bellreply 2409/24/2011

R21 is the kind of person that turns me off from anything Apple and I'm on my third Macbook laptop.

R10 is the kind of person that makes me like Apple. He gave a review of a phone he uses without being negative about other brands that he doesn't use.

by A. Graham Bellreply 2509/24/2011

** -- Attention, iTunes haters!! -- **

When the next major version of iOS is released next month (iOS 5), we will no longer be tethered to iTunes. Everything will work with iCloud **over the air**, like Android has all along. Software updates, app purchases, music syncing, everything.

iPhones will be PC-less on October 4th! (*Date based on latest rumors)

by A. Graham Bellreply 2609/24/2011

I don't know a single gay person who has an Android. They all have iPhones. Trust me, you won't see anything but iPhones at The Pines.

Android = Wal-Mart

iPhone = Target

by A. Graham Bellreply 2709/24/2011

I just bought a Motorola DROID Bionic. I like it, I like it a lot. It cost $250 for a 2 year contact, however.

by A. Graham Bellreply 2809/24/2011

iPhone will remain the number one smartphone for a long time. Contrarians, PC fanbois, and 99c Store ppl will gravitate to Android, no doubt.

by A. Graham Bellreply 2909/24/2011

I'm sorry that this has devolved a bit into a battle between Mac and PC. Can't we all just get along?!

I have checked out a WP7 the last time I was at a Verizon store. The sales guy said really good things about it and I believe him, but I don't really like the look of it much with the big red or green numbered boxes. I use a PC at home, but I'm still on Vista (on a Dell) so I'm not not super familiar with Windows 7. I've never owned a Mac, but definitely see the appeal of them. I'm also not a gamer in the slightest, so that's not a factor for me here.

I have an ipod, which I have a ton of music on (about 25GB) and mostly keep it docked in my stereo to listen to at home. That's a plus in Apple's favor for me in that I would essentially be getting another ipod. If r2/r21 is right about iphone5, I like the idea of having access to my entire collection via the cloud and that iMessage option for texting would be awesome.

I do appreciate the fact that android phones are so customizable and don't look just like everyone else's phone.

There's a promotion running on Verizon that's about to end on Sept. 30 where you trade in your basic phone for a $100 gift card with an upgrade to a smartphone. That's a really sweet deal, but it sucks that it ends just as so many new phoens will be announced or unvelied in the coming month(s).

Keep suggestions coming if you have any. I like reading all the different perspectives.

by A. Graham Bellreply 3009/24/2011

[quote]Because WP7 is inevitably toast

That is nothing but your opinion. Or perhaps wishful thinking.

Why won't you admit that WP7 phones are actually superior (as of Mango) in some areas? Because they are.

And R29, Android phones are out-selling iPhones by quite a bit at the moment.

iPhones are basically "one size fits all" phones. You have basically one model (plus last year's model). That's it.

Android is like the wild-west. Thousands of phones with thousands of versions and thousands of customizations (okay, that's an exaggeration, but fragmentation is a real issue).

WP7 phones are behind the game at the moment but catching up fast, and represent a middle-ground between the two extremes.

I'm personally hoping for a healthy 3-way race here, so there is an option for everyone.

I'm actually sad the WebOS/Palm thing died... that was a good OS too, and a good option for some people. Palm/HP totally screwed that one up.

by A. Graham Bellreply 3109/24/2011

OP/R30, do you use Facebook, Twitter, and/or Linked in?

by A. Graham Bellreply 3209/24/2011

Apple is not, and has never been, #1 in smartphone market share. They have always lagged behind RIM and have now been surpassed by Android.

Apple is destined to be a permanent #2 at best.

by A. Graham Bellreply 3309/24/2011

R29 is incorrect. (See link.)

And I sincerely hope R27 is a parody post.

The truth is, Android is likely to continue to lead the market. As Blackberry slowly dies off, many of those customers are moving to Androids, not iPhones. (The numbers back this up.)

The real difference between Android and iPhone at this point is that Android gives you a ton of choices and the iPhone doesn't. Both platforms aren't going anywhere, though, so it comes down to a personal preference.

by A. Graham Bellreply 3409/24/2011

Anyone who thinks WP7 isn't going to be a strong contender for the number three spot isn't really paying attention. Microsoft is basically betting the company on it (and its direction in Windows 8 and XBox), has very deep pockets to ensure it will succeed, and also has one of the best development environments making it very easy to write apps... including apps that run across the whole spectrum of Win7 and XBox eventually.

WP7 may not appeal as much in static photos I'll admit, but when you use it and see and feel the flow, it's pretty impressive.

by A. Graham Bellreply 3509/24/2011

r32: I'm starting to use LinkedIn a bit more for networking purposes, but I've never been very active on facebook and I don't have a twitter account nor do I plan on creating one.

by A. Graham Bellreply 3609/24/2011

Because Android is freely distributed to manufacturers, it has been a hugely important force for the democratization of the smartphone market. There are entry-level, prepaid Android phones (for what someone above amusingly called the "99c store people") as well as high-end Android phones such as the Nexus S and its forthcoming upgrade the Nexus Prime.

That said, the only Android phones really worth a damn, if you are free to choose, are the Nexus models from Google, manufactured by Samsung.

WP7 is fabulous software that so far runs on less than fabulous hardware.

iPhones are amazing and will only get better once IOS 5 iOS is released. As long as you don't really care about the quality of your phone calls.

by A. Graham Bellreply 3709/24/2011

[quote]WP7 is fabulous software that so far runs on less than fabulous hardware.

For the most part true, but there are some good phonse now, and some better, even great, phones being released over the next few months.

The Samsung Focus gets pretty good reviews, as does the HTC HD7.

by A. Graham Bellreply 3809/24/2011

Op, I was in the same boat as you one month ago. I really LOVE my Samsung Galaxy 2.

by A. Graham Bellreply 3909/24/2011

I'm getting a Jitterbug.

by A. Graham Bellreply 4009/24/2011

That's a really nice phone r39, I wish they offered it on Verizon.

by A. Graham Bellreply 4109/24/2011

Android = Ford, Chevy

iPhone = Mercedes, BMW

iPhones will always be seen as the cool, status phone. Some people don't care about that, and that's okay.

by A. Graham Bellreply 4209/24/2011

Actually, I'd say iPhone = Prius. A decent phone, just like the car... but one model, and it seems to come with an inherent amount of smug that is a turn-off to a lot of people.

by A. Graham Bellreply 4309/24/2011

WP7 = Chevy Volt... suprior to most other options, but almost nobody has one, and most people dismiss it because of the label.

by A. Graham Bellreply 4409/24/2011

All of the google apps, in particular the navigation apps, are vastly superior on Android phones than any other platform.

I didn't realize how much I depend on google services until I got an HTC EVO. Now, the thought of using a different mobile OS fills me with dread. I'm sure the iPhone and WP7 is superior in a lot of ways, but I don't want either of them.

by A. Graham Bellreply 4509/24/2011

Anyone have the HTC Droid Incredible 2?

by A. Graham Bellreply 4609/24/2011

I wish someone would start a dumbphones thread. I keep going back and forth but ultimately cannot justify spending three times as much per month for a "that would be neat to have" but totally unnecessary device for me. Does anyone have and recommend the LG Cosmos Touch on Verizon?

by A. Graham Bellreply 4709/24/2011

Which one takes the best pictures?

by A. Graham Bellreply 4809/24/2011

Which is best for sexting?

by A. Graham Bellreply 4909/24/2011

"I don't know a single gay person who has an Android. "

Try leaving the basement.

by A. Graham Bellreply 5009/24/2011

OP, I resisted because of the money aspect and although I probably could get on without the Smartphone I have now but I absolutely love it. It's worth the $75 a month.

I have an Android (EVO Shift) it has GPS that talks although I wish it would offer options besides the freeway. I opt to get off when busy and it keeps re-routing me back on. I have sprint which is unlimited. I can watch live television and check email, has great apps and it does it all.

by A. Graham Bellreply 5109/24/2011

The iPhone certainly is the #1 smart phone in market share, r33. Android, after all, is an OS not a phone.

by A. Graham Bellreply 5209/24/2011

I think it gets pretty intesting over the next few months... each major vendor is coming out with new revisions of their OS and services. It'll be interesting to see how they leap-frog each other.

And Nokia will be coming back into the mix, in a hail-mary attempt to regain relevance. It's possible they could pull it off. We'll see.

But as for "Do I need a smartphone"? You probably don't NEED one, but they sure are nice to have. The "everything at your fingertips" thing is addictive. They're great ways to kill time (in a waiting room, for example) ... browse the web, read a book on them, play a game, just listen to tunes... never mind the GPS, maps, weather, texting, phone, messaging, email, web, etc, etc.

They're pretty awesome, and at least for me, totally worth the price.

by A. Graham Bellreply 5309/25/2011

Windows Phone is another example of Microsoft crearing a stellar product and missing the mark in getting the message out there. I switched from iPhone to WP7 in December and have not regretted it at all. I liked the iPhone; the problem was that where I live, I could not get an AT&T signal. My contract ended, I switched to T-Mobile, switched to the (then) brand-new Dell Venue Pro model Windows Phone. . .and loved it.

Here's some drawbacks: -- Smaller number of apps. But really. . .with an app store that keeps growing, if you need more than 30,000 apps, I'd recommen finding a friend. -- The camera on the Dell venue Pro is awful indoors. You can change the settings but the settings (at least prior to Mango update) don't stay, so every time you take a photo in low-light or artificial light, you have to adjust the settings all over again. Exterior daytime photos are great, though. -- I already had a lot of dollars invested in iPhone apps so switching systems was a pain. However, even then, I didn't miss anything--but that's a drawback for any OS trying to make a dent now. You have tons of people heavily invested in Android or iPhone.

But some of the plusses: -- WP7 is what iPhone's UI should have looked like. Don't judge it by the pictures--this was a designer's dream. See it in motion. The live tiles are gorgeous and informative and the Metro design makes sense immediately. -- I haven't had any dropped calls--at all--with the WP7. -- The on-screen keyboard is the best I've ever used. I bought the DVP model because it has a slide-down keyboard; my experience with the iPhone was that the keyboard was fine but something always seemed off. However, the WP7 on-screen keyboard (and I don't know what's so different about it) made the slide-down unnecessary. -- The Mango update features a great message grouping feature that links your Facebook, text, and e-mail conversations so if you and a friend are exchanging messages across various mediums, it's all right there in one thread. You get the message without having to hunt for it. -- You decide what your Start screen looks like and, in my case, I load it with my contacts' live tiles so I can look down and see what everyone's up to. The live tile flashes their picture, their name slides down, their nme slides up, and on the tile is their latest Facebook update or whatever. -- Office. I'm able to keep documents that I work on with me and (unlike BlackBaerry) when I open them, they look like they should and function perfectly. I can even edit PowerPoint presentations on the phone itself while on the go.

I will say that MS has messed the marketing up big time. They launched the phone with the tag, "The phone to save you from your phone." That's not what people want. We're all in love with our phone. Once you fin the right system, you don't want to be asved from it. Someone at MS didn't get that message.

(Also, don't confuse Windows Phone with Windows Mobile.)

by A. Graham Bellreply 5409/25/2011

I had an HTC Android as my first smartphone and I really liked it, but moved to the iPhone when I was given one for work. I like the iPhone, particularly for the apps. It's true that there are a ton of android apps as well, but the iPhone apps tend to be more widely marketed, and I like to be able to use apps that I see, read or hear about. It also has a clean and simple interface.

Itunes is the downside - all the syncing and registering etc. between computers is a pain. I also miss the five or so home-screens on the Android, so I could have messaging, email, calendar etc. on a dedicated screen.

My dad recently got a WP7 phone, and it seems really good. Nice to see something that isn't an iPhone clone, and the interface is pretty classy. I don't really understand why it's doing so badly.

by A. Graham Bellreply 5509/25/2011

I certainly will not be joining the herd mentality and getting something that while may be nice to play with, is totally unecessary and a complete waist of money. I will not be brainwashed, I can think for myself and realize that smartphones are a complete ripoff, unlike most of you.

by A. Graham Bellreply 5609/25/2011

[quote] I also miss the five or so home-screens on the Android, so I could have messaging, email, calendar etc. on a dedicated screen.

I have several different home screens on my iPhone... and I put similar apps in folders. One screen for my most-used apps (the primary home screen, no folders), a home screen for all my games (all in folders by category) and a home screen for all my other apps (also all in folders by category).

Or are you talking about something different?

by A. Graham Bellreply 5709/25/2011

R47 and R56- why even have a cellphone? They're not necessary either. But they make life easier and more efficient. Why not have the best one that helps you out the most?

by A. Graham Bellreply 5809/25/2011

Samsung Galaxy Note

This is the phone/tablet I want...I would do anything for this phone/tablet. It has not been released, but I hope it debuts in Q4. I would give up my Nexus One in a heartbeat.

by A. Graham Bellreply 5909/25/2011

Samsung Galaxy Note video

by A. Graham Bellreply 6009/25/2011

I didn't say iPhone R52, I said Apple, though I should really have said iOS phones.

Also, the last time I checked the stats the iPhone was still #2 behind the Blackberry, though RIM is shrinking fast due to Android's rise.

by A. Graham Bellreply 6109/25/2011

Comparison of costs of different smartphones:

by A. Graham Bellreply 6209/25/2011

Anyone else have a Samsung Galaxy 2 phone? I'm waiting until TMo gets it.

Do you think it's better than the HTC Sensation 4G?

by A. Graham Bellreply 6309/25/2011

[quote]My dad recently got a WP7 phone, and it seems really good. Nice to see something that isn't an iPhone clone, and the interface is pretty classy. I don't really understand why it's doing so badly.

I think part of it is that too many people remember "Windows Mobile 6" (WinMo), and it was pretty awful. They don't realize that WP7 is completely new, completely different.

Also, a lot of the people who sell phones own either iPhones or Androids, and they push what they know/own.

Microsoft has an uphill battle fighting against both perception and entrenched habits.

But WP7 really is good. And it's not just an iOS "me-too" like Android. It is something completely different. "Think Different" indeed.

by A. Graham Bellreply 6409/25/2011

WP7 doesn't seem to have any marketing presence whatsoever. I personally have never seen a commercial or print ad for it and I wouldn't have known it ever existed if the person at Verizon didn't show it to me. I can't see how it will be competitive with Apple or Android if doesn't employ more creative methods of promotion.

by A. Graham Bellreply 6509/25/2011

[quote]WP7 doesn't seem to have any marketing presence whatsoever.

Really? I see the ads all the time. In fact, with the first launch last fall, they were pretty good (funny) ads.

And I see web ads all over the net, at least at the sites I go to (like

Here's an ad:

by A. Graham Bellreply 6609/25/2011

Just don't get a windows phone.

by A. Graham Bellreply 6709/25/2011

Here's another add from more recently:

by A. Graham Bellreply 6809/25/2011

Wow, I've never seen one of those commercials. They're clever, but I still don't quite care for the tiled layout. I trust that it's a good phone though and I like that it has Office on it. For me, I don't need constant facebook and twitter updates from my friends and that's what it seems especially geared towards (judging from those ads). I assume Bing is also the default search engine? I tend to prefer Google. It's nice that there's lot of choices in the phone market. I think it keeps things interesting.

by A. Graham Bellreply 6909/25/2011

If you go to Europe, will the internet work on your iPhone or Android phone?

Can you make phone calls in Europe on iPhone or Android? I've heard that the new iPhone will be an international phone.

by A. Graham Bellreply 7009/25/2011

One of the original commercials (from last year).

It should be pointed out that the new version (this year) has a ton of great new features, including being completely voice controllable, blue-tooth connections... so you can receive and send texts in your bluetooth enabled car without ever taking your hands off the wheel or eyes off the road.

Microsoft actually does a horrible job in promoting the unique features and capabilities of their platform. Sadly.

And even if you're not a big facebook/twitter/linked-in user, the "People hub" is much more than just "contacts" like on other phones.

And the pictures hub as well... it brings everything together in one place. You don't have to open one app to see the photos on your phone, another for those on flickr, another for those on facebook, and another for those in the cloud. They're all right there in one place.

And speaking of the cloud, every WP7 phone gets complete cloud storage, and you can even sync it between laptop and phone through the cloud. It's all based on a Windows Live ID... one id to tie everything together. And you get 25GB of storage in the cloud, PLUS unlimited storage for photos.

And as for the tile interface, it's something you really have to see and use live to appreciate. The fact that each tile has live, constantly updating info in it is really nice. Just glance at your phone to see the current weather (unlike on the iPhone, where you have to find the weather app, launch it, wait for it to launch, and then finally get to see what you want).

It's not perfect by any means. But it's pretty cool and doesn't get nearly the respect it deserves.

by A. Graham Bellreply 7109/25/2011

Forgot the link:

by A. Graham Bellreply 7209/25/2011

Not sure how you miss WP7 commercials. I think I've seen this one a thousand times:

by A. Graham Bellreply 7309/25/2011

[quote]If you go to Europe, will the internet work on your iPhone or Android phone?

Yes, as long as you have AT&T or T-Mobile in the US. All the AT&T iPhones have been world phones. Verizon and Sprint use a different mobile technology that broadly speaking does not exist in Europe.

Note well: if you don't buy one of the AT&T international data plans before travelling, using cellular data or making phone calls outside the US is **very expensive**.

by A. Graham Bellreply 7409/25/2011

At least I know how to spell "waste," R56.

Sent from my Android

by A. Graham Bellreply 7509/25/2011

R74, the poster was asking about the internet. I would be curious to find the answer, too. If you can get internet then you can Skype from Europe for free.

by A. Graham Bellreply 7609/25/2011

R76, yes, that's what is meant by "cellular data." Be sure to buy one of the international data plans before travelling to avoid huge data (that is, Internet) charges.

by A. Graham Bellreply 7709/25/2011

To answer another way: if you don't buy one of the international data (Internet) plans, then you are not covered by your AT&T data plan when you travel. That only works on AT&T's network inside the US. Yes, you can use your phone to access data (the Internet) on AT&T's partners in any country, but you pay extra per megabyte for the privilege.

None of this applies to the Verizon iPhone.

There's always WiFi.

by A. Graham Bellreply 7909/25/2011

It makes a lot more sense to use the phone in your hotel room.

by A. Graham Bellreply 8009/25/2011

My cell phone is old, crappy and always fucks up, something is wrong with the battery, and sometimes I get "no signal" when I'm downtown, so you know it's BS.. I still use it, because it works, for now anyway. I'll buy a new one when the one I have now stops working.

by A. Graham Bellreply 8109/25/2011

Just bought an LG Optimus V. So far, it does what I was told it would do. The problem is that it probably does much, much more than most users would ever care to exploit. I bought it for a few select features that I could not get with a standard cell phone and I think I'll be happy with this purchase.

The phone was $129. Virgin Mobile. No contract. $35 a month. Unlimited internet and text. 300 minutes for yapping. Kill me if I talk on a phone more than 300 minutes in a month.

by A. Graham Bellreply 8209/25/2011

Data charges overseas are astronomically high.

I just returned from 2 weeks in the UK. I rented a wireless hub from Tep Wireless. The instrument was smaller than a deck of cards (fit easily in pocket). I used my iPhone and iPad's wireless in this manner. The rental cost was about $35/week.

by A. Graham Bellreply 8309/25/2011

get the LG Dare at eBay, does almost everything a smart phone does ; internet access, texting, instant message, GPS,, UNLIMTED internet, view tv shows, news, breaking news, email, it does it all. no stupid data plan. I've had four of these to loss, data...what ever. verinon has a free back up plan for your phone numbers and your pictures. I belive it will also work with lotus notes corp email.

by A. Graham Bellreply 8409/25/2011

I always thought that the smartphone is like a portable computer: if there is free wi-fi you don't need subscription of any kind to get online. Well, if that's not so then fuck the smartphone.

by A. Graham Bellreply 8509/25/2011

Dare also has blue tooth which works with hearing aids. Very few cells phone have this version of blue tooth.

by A. Graham Bellreply 8609/25/2011

Kind of agree with R17.

I have the Android 2.2 load on my Samsung SHC-R910 and it's pretty robust. Rarely crashes and is intuitive.

The SO has the LG Optimus with Android 2.2 and it is COMPLETELY different from my phone. Menus scroll top to bottom, not left to right like on mine. Plus it's missing a bunch of clutch apps that came with mine by default. WTF!

As I mentioned, battery life is a bit of an issue but Andorid is optimized for data, not voice. And when it comes to data the phone rocks.

by A. Graham Bellreply 8709/25/2011

****cowers in the corner with iPhone, loving it****

by A. Graham Bellreply 8809/25/2011

why do I respond? no one listens.

by A. Graham Bellreply 8909/25/2011

r84,86,89, I checked out the Dare and it looks really nice and I like that it has a QWERTY keyboard. I've been using LG phones for the past four years or so and I like them. It definitely seems like it would be a great starter phone for those considering a smartphone, but not wanting to take the leap just yet. I'll check out the prices on ebay, but I think I'm pretty set on getting a smartphone at this point because I'll be locked in a two year contract so I want to make sure the phone I get I'm going to want to keep for awhile. Thank you sincerely for your suggestion. If I stay with a "basic" phone, it will definitely be the Dare.

by A. Graham Bellreply 9009/26/2011

From the review of Windows Phone 7.5, which is being released today:

[bold]Should I Buy This?[/bold]

[italic]If you don't want an iPhone, this is basically the only real option, unless you already know you want Android. Like, for non-nerds, this is the only thing I'd tell them to buy if they don't want an iPhone. It's not better than iOS, not yet. But it's the closest. And it's legitimately different and excellent.

That said! I'd wait to see the shithot new phones from Nokia first, though, since I don't really think any of the current Windows Phones are mindblowing. Windows Phone may be second best, but frankly, for the first time in a long time, that's good enough. [/italic]

There's more at the link, but it's not a detailed review or anything. Still, I find it interesting, and wonder if WP7 will actually start eating into Android market-share.

by A. Graham Bellreply 9109/27/2011

I think this thread jinxed my phone!!!

I have an old Blackberry Flip (I know, I know...don't start!).

My Verizon plan is 3 months past date so I get an upgrade. I was just trying to make this damn Flip last until IPhone 5 comes out through Verizon. I'm pretty sure I want that, so I LOVED this thread. (helps me make the decision) The day after reading it, my Flip just diiiiiied! Lost all the contact data also!

I swear, the witches and satanists jumped in here and hexed me!

(so I had to go buy a used BB that I don't want, just to "make it through" til the I5 comes out....dammit!!)

THAT said, I certainly appreciate the OP starting this thread. (now watch...I've replied...I bet my used BB bursts into flames on my hip!!)

by A. Graham Bellreply 9209/27/2011

iPhone 5 is announced officially next week. Don't know when availablity is.

by A. Graham Bellreply 9309/27/2011

I'm glad this thread was useful for you, r92!

I'm curious to see if Apple will be unveiling more than one phone next week. I've read a couple of reports that they might also be announcing a more economical iphone 4S along with the new iphone 5.

by A. Graham Bellreply 9409/27/2011

The Androids look cheap compared to the iPhone.

by A. Graham Bellreply 9509/27/2011

[quote]I always thought that the smartphone is like a portable computer: if there is free wi-fi you don't need subscription of any kind to get online.

Of course you can use Wi-Fi as an alternative to a cellular data plan. The thing is, though, that carriers (in the US, at least) require a data plan purchase for smartphones when you subscribe to a voice plan. The point made before is that yes, you can use the phone's data (Internet) plan to get online in lieu of Wi-Fi, but if you're outside the reach of your US plan, it's really really expensive.

by A. Graham Bellreply 9609/27/2011

Interesting little video demoing some of the WP7.5 features (the update released today):

by A. Graham Bellreply 9709/27/2011

iPhone 5 in a couple weeks.

by A. Graham Bellreply 9809/27/2011

Brand new WP7 ad out today:

by A. Graham Bellreply 9909/27/2011

Does the new WP7 have many apps available yet? And how much does the phone cost on Verizon?

by A. Graham Bellreply 10009/27/2011

R100, I have an app on WP7 (App Flow) that counts how many apps are in the marketplace (and also points out the most popular apps by category, cost, ratings, etc.) As of this morning, they had about 32,000. (Can't recall the exact amount and my phone is currently plugged into another PC getting the Mango update so I can't check the exact number right now.)

by A. Graham Bellreply 10109/27/2011

R101, who's your carrier and how much did you pay for the phone?

by A. Graham Bellreply 10209/27/2011

This artical is from a guy who's switching to WP7 for 30 days, and blogging about it.

Here's his entry on the apps, and how he fared:

by A. Graham Bellreply 10309/27/2011

Hi, R102. I switched to T-Mobile last year (from AT&T; I'm the poster who had an iPhone and, thanks to AT&T, not Apple, I was never able to get a signal where I live). I have the Dell Venue Pro model (which, to confuse things more, I believe you can only buy FROM Dell and not T-Mobile). I think the phone cost about $200 or so with a two-year contract, but I got the 16G model. An 8G model is available for less. (Also, the phone was brand new when I bought it. I believe they're going for $99 now.)

My bill each month is about $124 because I chose unlimited everything and wanted no surprises. Like I said in an earlier post, no dropped calls, great call quality, always have a signal, great WiFi and I love the look and feel of this particular unit. I just wish they'd make it without the slide-out keyboard as I find the on-screen keyboard more accurate to my fingers.

by A. Graham Bellreply 10409/27/2011

What's the deal with "rooting" in relation to Android phones? I've seen it discussed online a few times, but I'm not quite sure what it means and does?

by A. Graham Bellreply 10509/27/2011

R105, it's the same as "jail-breaking" an iPhone

It's about breaking the licensing agreement, so you can side-load unapproved (and potentially dangrous) apps.

by A. Graham Bellreply 10609/27/2011

Thanks r106!

by A. Graham Bellreply 10709/27/2011

Some rough guidelines I've found:

If you have Macs at home, and you're invested in the Apple/iTunes ecosystem, then just get an iPhone. It's your best choice, and you'll love it. New iPhone comes out next month (October).

If you're really invested in the Google ecosystem (GoogleDocs, maps, contacts, gmail, etc) and/or you just love tinkering with and customizing technology (geeky/nerdy), then Android is probably your best bet.

If you're invested in the Microsoft ecosystem (Windows 7 PCs and laptops, XBox360, Windows live, Windows Messenger, Outlook, Office), and/or you're a really heavy user of social media (facebook, twitter, linkedin), then WP7 "Mango" is right up your ally.

All three are good, all three have their own strengths and weaknesses. Right now, Android has the most users, followed by iOS, followed very distantly by WP7... so if popularity is important, that's something to consider too. Does that help?

by A. Graham Bellreply 10809/30/2011

In researching this week, I found out that if your want to utilize video chat, you might be better off with an android iphone. With an iphone, in order to video chat, you and the person you talk with have to both be on iphones and you have to have a wi-fi connection. On the android, both of you just need to have internet access - I assume because the conversation is streamed.

by A. Graham Bellreply 10909/30/2011

[quote]I found out that if your want to utilize video chat, you might be better off with an android iphone...

There's no such thing as an "android iphone".

by A. Graham Bellreply 11010/01/2011

On's front page, there's a story with the teaser "The Windows Phone is AMAZING! I mean it. The [italic]Windows[/italic] phone." by Farhad Manjoo.

Click it, and you're taken to this article:

[bold]There’s a New Windows Phone!

Why you should be overjoyed about Microsoft’s latest entry in the smartphone derby.[/bold]

Are you having trouble containing your anticipation for the new Windows Phone? Have you been pestering your friends with your incessant, giddy chatter about all the wonderful features in the latest version of Microsoft’s mobile operating system—its elegant maps app, its terrific new local search system, and its fresh, intuitive user interface? Maybe you’ve been worrying about when to start camping out at Best Buy to make sure you get your hands on this revolutionary new mobile platform. After all, with its Windows Phone, Microsoft has created the most novel take on the smartphone since the first iPhone—it looks and feels completely different from everything else on the market, and it’s easier and more fun to use than just about any other phone you can get. Surely people are lining up around the block for this thing, right?

Nope. You’re not excited about Windows Phone. Nobody’s excited about Windows Phone. When Microsoft abandoned its clunky Windows Mobile software last year and unveiled Windows Phone 7 OS as its successor, many observers were optimistic. Finally, the software giant looked to be offering something worthy of competition with the iPhone and Google’s Android OS. And when the first Windows Phone devices went on sale last fall, the critics swooned. I wrote that “the new OS shows that Microsoft is finally fighting to be a contender in the mobile market.”

But Windows Phone hit with a thud. While the iPhone and Android keep gobbling up more and more of the smartphone market, Microsoft’s market share has actually declined since it launched its new platform. With Apple set to unveil a new iPhone next week—this time on AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, guaranteeing even bigger sales than previous iPhone launches—and Android continuing to make its way into lots and lots of cheap phones, Windows risks getting squeezed out of the mobile business entirely.

And that’s too bad. This week, Microsoft is releasing a fantastic update to the Windows Phone OS. I’ve been using Windows Phone 7.5—also known as Mango—for about a week, and I’ve loved every minute of it. Microsoft has fixed many of the flaws in the first version of the OS—Windows Phone now has copy and paste, and it has adopted Apple’s half-loaf version of multitasking, allowing some apps to stay active while you’re not actively using them. Microsoft has also beefed up its Apps Marketplace: There are now 30,000 apps, far fewer than on Android and the iPhone but still plenty for most people.

Best of all, Microsoft has added several neat user-interface tricks that let you do common tasks more quickly than on other phones. There’s a Shazam-like song-identifying feature built right into the search panel. Also, you can see listings and reviews of restaurants, shops, and movies with a single click. Managing your contacts is also incredibly easy. Because Windows Phone connects to all of your online accounts (e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, IM, etc.), it’s able to create a comprehensive picture of everyone in your address book. Click on a name and you see not just a phone and email address but that person’s Twitter handle, Facebook profile picture, birthday (also from Facebook), and a history of all the conversations you’ve had with him.

by A. Graham Bellreply 11110/01/2011

You’ll find similar features built into the iPhone and into various versions of Android, or through various iPhone and Android apps. But Microsoft’s design puts a premium on speed and ease of use; where it takes you three steps to do something on the iPhone or Android, it takes just one on Windows Phone. Want to see what your mom just posted on Facebook? On other phones, you’ll have to click the Facebook app or launch the Web browser. Windows Phone alerts you to the post by flashing your mom’s profile picture on your People icon on the main menu. Click on it, and you’ll see her post (as well as all the recent Facebook activity from all your contacts) in the “What’s New” section.

When I first used Windows Phone last year, I was captivated by the operating system’s striking visual design: Its home page buttons are flat and brightly colored, many of the menus feature arresting white- and red-on-black text (with really nice typography), and the line-drawn icons in its built-in apps are slightly quirky while remaining functional. This time I liked the look even more. Compared with my iPhone 4—whose interface hasn’t changed much since the first iPhone, unveiled almost five years ago—Windows Phone feels new. Microsoft is planning to import this design to rest of the Windows empire (Windows 8 will have the same look and feel), which is a wise move: At the moment, there’s no better-designed OS on the market.

Will I trade in my iPhone for a Windows Phone? No. For one thing, I’m going to wait to see what Apple unveils next week. Second, there are a few features on my iPhone, like FaceTime, that I use often and that Windows still lacks. And, finally, most developers still consider the iPhone their primary platform. Because I review a lot of new apps, I need access to the iPhone’s App Store.

But these are my quirks: For most people, the fact that Windows Phones have fewer apps than other platforms isn’t going to be a huge impediment. I’m always suspicious of Apple fans who wield the App Store’s superior app count as a reason to get the iPhone. Weren’t they the same people who told us that it didn’t matter that there was less software created for the Mac than for Windows? Anyhow, Windows Phone has most of the apps you’d want, including Facebook, Kindle, Netflix, and Angry Birds. And while it’s true that the iPhone has some features that Windows Phone lacks, I found many features on Windows Phone that have long been missing on Apple’s device (for instance, the ability to subscribe to podcasts from the phone).

If Windows Phone is so great, then why has it been such a bust? I suspect that part of the reason is its awful name. Windows, as a brand, evokes everything we hate about computers. Windows Phone looks nothing like Windows on your Dell, but folks who’ve never seen the phone are likely to picture a desktop, a Start Menu, and My Computer—and then head to the Apple Store for relief. Then there’s Microsoft’s timing. Windows Phone is competing against two juggernauts that have been in the market for years and that have gained a great deal of exposure over that time. If you want a new smartphone, you can always look at a friend’s iPhone or Android to see if it will work for you. You can’t do that with a Windows Phone.

[bold]Let me urge you to give it a chance. If you have your heart set on the new iPhone or an Android, go to a store and try out a Windows Phone first. You’ll find a lot to like.[/bold]

by A. Graham Bellreply 11210/01/2011

I'm an almost total Luddite. I have a desktop computer which is near collapse and only once have even tried to navigate a laptop. I have an old cellphone. I've never even figured out how to take pictures with it. Never used a Kindle or any equivalent. I love to read, both online and otherwise. Have no interest in playing games on a computer or phone. What do you recommend for someone as utterly clueless as me?

by A. Graham Bellreply 11310/01/2011

by A. Graham Bellreply 11410/01/2011

by A. Graham Bellreply 11510/02/2011

R113, if all that is true, why would you even consider wanting a smartphone?

by A. Graham Bellreply 11610/02/2011

iTunes works great for me on my Windows computers. I don't understand why you can't have an iPhone and Windows laptop/desktop and be just fine?

by A. Graham Bellreply 11710/02/2011

R117, then you're the only one.

Of course, it's gotten better in the last year, but it still sucks rocks.

It's a huge pig, takes forever to launch, has the worst UI of any app I've ever seen, is slow, ...

When I rip a new CD to disk, I have to manually add the tracks to iTunes. iTunes doesn't just pick them up automatically.

It's also horrible with album art. It couldn't figure out or find album art for well over half my collection.

Meanwhile the Zune software is beautiful, great UI, fast, efficient, automatically picks up any new tracks or videos, gets album art just fine... it puts Apple software to shame in every way imaginable.

iTunes on windows is a dog. It's an embarassment. If you don't think it's bad, it's only because you're ignorant of the alternatives.

I'll only admit that it used to be a lot worse. Syncing used to take hours. And you had to sync multiple things (once to sync purchases made on your phone to your PC, and again to sync new tracks on your PC to your phone).

It also doesn't recognize or play as many formats as other alternatives. Have some WMA tracks or WMV videos? Tough shit, it's going to try and transcode them (and copy shit, taking up more disk space) before it'll touch them. If it'll even go that far.

iTunes is enough to make me never want to give Apple any more of my money ever. It's one of the main reasons I'll be switching to Windows Phone 7 when my contract is up.

by A. Graham Bellreply 11810/02/2011

Today's the day!! Apple will announce within a few hours it's latest "updates"...which is expected to be the Iphone 5 of course. Though who knows what else they may throw at us.

I am still undecided as to smartphone choice, but looking forward to what today's possibility may hold.

Anyone who HAS an Iphone 4 and can watch the release conference...would love your "take" on the improvements or differences. TIA

by A. Graham Bellreply 11910/04/2011

I'd like to see them announce an iPad3. I wouldn't buy one, but I'd be interested to see it.

by A. Graham Bellreply 12010/04/2011

Looks like no iphone 5 this year. Apple only unveiled the iphone 4S today:

by A. Graham Bellreply 12110/04/2011

The iPhone 4s is somewhat of a disappointment given it's 16 month gestation period.

by A. Graham Bellreply 12210/04/2011

I dunno. . .I may have to look at jumping back to iPhone from Windows Phone (when I can get out of my T-Mobile contract--and get a signal from a carrier who's not AT&T). I like the Siri feature. Over the past week, I quickly got used to my phone reading my text messages to me and taking my dictation for replies (it came in VERY handy today while driving and later when I was in the kitchen cooking) but Siri takes what Windows Phone has done to an all-new level. Of course, it also depends on the true quality of the Siru feature. While Windows got their voice detection program right, it doesn't mean Apple's won't require you to ask things over and over again. Regardless, I'll be checking it out.

by A. Graham Bellreply 12310/04/2011

R123, also consider that Windows Phone won't exactly be standing still. Are you running "Mango" yet?

by A. Graham Bellreply 12410/04/2011

Yes, R124. I got Mango last week and love it. The Local Scout feature is insanely good (I travel alot so it's a big win). Also love the mpas feature where, if you're running into a mall, yoy can drill down to where a store is in that mall so you can run in and out. Fantastic features. (I just have little faith in MS, between bad advertising, bad in-store support, and bad marketing decisions regarding the platform and past products. Supposedly they now have 5% of smartphone business but I still don't see it as lasting long. Hello, Kin.)

by A. Graham Bellreply 12510/04/2011

R125, have a little more faith. MS is betting the company on Windows Phone. Windows 8 is going to adopt much of the Windows Phone UI ("Metro"). And Nokia is betting the company on Windows Phone too. New phones are coming out over the next few months.

Kin was killed because it directly competed with WP7. It shouldn't have ever gotten a release, but probably did due to some contractual things.

They are already hard at work on Windows Phone 8, code name "Apollo", which will enable app-compatability across Windows 8 and (presumably) WP8, as well as XBox (and/or whatever the next console is).

While I think it's ridiculous to think Windows Phone will "win", I think it'll become a decent and legimiate 3-way race over the next couple of years.

by A. Graham Bellreply 12610/04/2011

R126, I definitely will probably stay with Windows Phone, regardless; I'm just curious about the Siri feature as it does what WinPhone's voice should have done: allow dictation to documents. For example, MS touts the inclusion of Office. I absolutely love that I can keep my spreadsheets, Word docs and PowerPoints with me on my phone as I'm a constant revisor of documents. But they should have foreseen the need to integrate the voice feature with Office. I'm on a site inspection tomorrow and what will I be doing? Typing into my phone. I should be able to open a document and say into my phone, "Concrete grade issue at walkway" and be done. Siri looks like it will make that voice dictation on a document for me. (Then again, that may be a misunderstanding of the feature.) I am absolutely in love with WinPhone; I just think Ballmer moves at such a dreadfully slow pace that WinPhone, while it may gain market share once the Nokia "killers" are released, will always force the developers to play catch-up. (Hell, Windows Mobile should have been killed by Windows Phone a year before it was. Abd look at Zune; a great system that MS just killed this week after years of letting it sit with virtually no support.) My true hope? That WinPhone does become the third in the smartphone trio, but Ballmer's plays so far have not been impressive. But Mango is amazing; one just has to wonder why they weren't able to make the leaps they should have made last week so that Apple's Siri received the shrug it would have had WinPhone done what they should have. I agree about the Kin or Kil or whatever that thing was; aimed at a weird market segment and so on, it was a badly conceived product. . .but to kill it so quickly after its release seemed odd and leads to people questioning MS' ability to stick by anything that's not Number One. But I hear you: I know they're gambling big on the OS and I'm hoping it succeeds and grows quickly. It's definitely the best looking and funtioning OS I've used, period.

by A. Graham Bellreply 12710/04/2011

Here's a breakdown of plans on different networks:

by A. Graham Bellreply 12810/08/2011

Bumping good smartphone advice

by A. Graham Bellreply 12910/08/2011

Fastes mobile networks:

by A. Graham Bellreply 13010/08/2011

I've never had a smartphone and I have an old Razr! Anyway, I don't know what to get, and find it a bit overwhelming.

My AT&T coverage is terrible where I live; calls don't even go through a lot of the time or show up a week later.

I would like to get the Iphone 4s but maybe a good Droid phone (no clue which one) would be a better choice.

Sprint or Verizon network too, I think.

by A. Graham Bellreply 13110/08/2011

by A. Graham Bellreply 13210/08/2011

I pre-ordered a 32GB iphone 4s last night but am seriously considering sending it back without even opening it in exchange for a basic phone with just talk and text and downgrading my plan. It's fucking insane to spend this much energy on a fucking telephone. And you can't get lost with GPS so what's the point of ever taking a roadtrip? Everything that's been invented just reduces pleasure and adventure.

by A. Graham Bellreply 13310/08/2011

These are all inventions which sate control freaks. And encourage that kind of sick thinking.

by A. Graham Bellreply 13410/08/2011

[quote] by Farhad Manjoo.

OMG, he is such a tool. I stopped reading him ages ago.

by A. Graham Bellreply 13510/08/2011

Have any of you bought an unlocked phone and paid month to month? If so, how has that worked out?

by A. Graham Bellreply 13610/09/2011

Does Android have anything that compares to the new Siri voice assistant on iPhone?

by A. Graham Bellreply 13710/09/2011

I figure when I am home or work I have my computer. I can't use it when I am driving to and from work. I don't want to pay the extra money for something I won't use. On vacation, plane or train wouldn't it be better to just get a tablet?

by A. Graham Bellreply 13810/09/2011

[quote]I would like to get the Iphone 4s but maybe a good Droid phone (no clue which one) would be a better choice. Sprint or Verizon network too, I think.

Motorola Droid Bionic for Verizon, Samsung Galaxy S for II Sprint, if you're going Android.

by A. Graham Bellreply 13910/09/2011

You are complaining about not being able to get lost R133?

Smartphones wouldn't sell except that people like them. I could go without mine but it makes my life about more convenient and entertaining and I consider it worth the expense.

by A. Graham Bellreply 14010/09/2011

Forgot to actually add to the topic, I've had the Iphone OS and the Droid OS and personally I prefer the using the droid system.

Honestly both are perfectly fine and you will probably be happy with either.

by A. Graham Bellreply 14110/09/2011

How do software updates work?

How is a droid updated? iPhone?

by A. Graham Bellreply 14210/09/2011

Just be sure to play with WP7 mango too. Don't make the mistake of thinking this is only a 2-horse race.

You might find it suits you. Or it might not. But at least you'll know and have considered all the options.

by A. Graham Bellreply 14310/09/2011

Should I get a 16GB or 32GB phone?

Will an Android phone work better with my Windows computers than an iPhone would? I don't think I want a WP7 phone.

by A. Graham Bellreply 14410/09/2011

R144 it complete depends on how you plan to use it. If you plan on using your smartphone as your mp3 player and have a very large collection of music and/or you want to load tv/movies to watch off your phone, then a 32gb will be useful

In solely everyday functions of a smartphone however you will never need anywhere close to even 16gb

by A. Graham Bellreply 14510/09/2011

Windows OS phones are prone to crashing and several models were turned into bricks last month when the software update corrupted the phones' firmware.

iPhones use iTunes to update their software.

Android phone updates are pushed to he phones over the cellphone provider's network.

by A. Graham Bellreply 14610/09/2011

You don't "think" you want a WP7 phone? How would you know? Why do you think that?

WP7 "mango" is pretty awesome, and bests iPhone and Android in many ways.

You should at least check it out.

And R146 is competely wrong. No, WP7 phones are not "prone to crashing"... far less than Android phones in fact. That's just a flat out lie.

by A. Graham Bellreply 14710/09/2011

Sorry, Windows Marketing Troll, R46 is telling the truth:

Microsoft Windows Phone 7 update crashes smartphones

The update, the firm's first for Windows Phone 7, was itself designed to improve the updating process, but instead [bold]caused crashes and made some devices completely unusable[/bold]."

"We have identified a technical issue with the Windows Phone update process that impacts a small number of phones," a spokesman said."

by A. Graham Bellreply 14810/09/2011

In fairness, both R147 and R148 are correct. The first update rolled out bricked a Samsung model. Part of the blame for that is due to cheap ass Samsung messing up on a spec or two, part is MS' fault for missing that in a test. (How do you not see that a model will freeze and brick?). That said, the Mango update and some smaller prep updates went fine. The NoDo update, that first WP update, was just bad.

by A. Graham Bellreply 14910/09/2011

Users who have upgraded their HTC-made Windows Phone 7 smartphones to the Mango firmware update are now noticing that their handsets are freezing, or locking up, when they’re using Zune Pass. Users have been complaining and documenting their issues on Microsoft’s support forum, and according to these users, Microsoft is saying that there may be a bug in the Mango firmware that prevents Zune Pass from working properly on HTC handset. However, some users are saying that the problem has existed since pre-Mango:

by A. Graham Bellreply 15010/09/2011

R148? A few specific phone models had problems with one of the first updates last winter.

This is not the same as saying "windows phones crash". You're being completely misleading.

by A. Graham Bellreply 15110/09/2011

Yeah, yeah. Apple had an update the bricked a few phones too. Android had similar issues. My friend with an iPhone 3G updated to iOS4, and his phone has been essentially unusable ever since.

Strange that you'd use these sorts of problems to slam WP7 and consider it not even worthy of consideration, while you ignore equivalent issues on the other platforms.

by A. Graham Bellreply 15210/09/2011

I recently upgraded from a Razr to a HTC-Sensation with a 32g 10x card.

I'm good to go for another five years.

This phone does awesome shit; I'll never use a tenth of it but it's awesome.

by A. Graham Bellreply 15310/09/2011

by A. Graham Bellreply 15410/11/2011

[quote]My friend with an iPhone 3G updated to iOS4, and his phone has been essentially unusable ever since.

Same thing happened to my 3G after that update, too. Really hope this won't be the case again after updating our iPhone 4s to the iOS5 software.

by A. Graham Bellreply 15510/13/2011

From what I've read, and heard from one friend... if you can get the update to actually apply, it'll run fine on an iPhone 4. It runs better on the new iPhone 4s of course.

I wouldn't even attempt to run it on an iPhone 3GS.

by A. Graham Bellreply 15610/14/2011

For those who have got or are waiting to recieve the iphone 4s, which variant did you choose: 16gb, 32gb, or 64gb?

How much storage space would you recommend for someone who doesn't plan on doing any gaming, downloading a ton of apps (other than useful ones), or watch movies?

I'm seriously considering the iphone now and one of the main reasons is the fact that it doubles as an ipod and I already have a large music library on itunes (about 24gb on my 120gb capacity ipod that I keep docked - but not all of which is purchased from the itunes store).

Even with some healthy editing, I still think I would fill up about 8gb of music at the least. I'm aware that they are offering 5gb of free storage on iCloud, but I'm still weary about that and confused as to how it will work.

Is it worth paying an extra $100 for the 32gb model vs. the 16gb? How easy is it to use up 16gb?

Sorry for all the questions. I recently got the HTC Incredible 2 and liked it quite a bit, but I had some issues with it and decided to return it within the 14 days after I read about the specs of the iphone 4s and thought it might be a better fit for me in the long run. For now, I'm still doing my homework and all the advice in this thread has been invaluable!

by A. Graham Bellreply 15710/14/2011

OP, I ordered the 32 GB for the same reason you're mentioning. It won't hold even 1/5th of my music, but it'll be a definite step up from my 8GB nano.

by A. Graham Bellreply 15810/14/2011

by A. Graham Bellreply 15910/14/2011

I am running OS5 on my 3GS and it runs fine.

I was going to get the iPhone 5, but not excited about the 4S.

by A. Graham Bellreply 16010/14/2011

R160, it's just a marketing name. They could have easily called it the iPhone 5.

I think the only real "disappointment" is that it LOOKS the same, so poser douchebags can't flaunt the fact they have the latest and greatest just by holding it up for people to see.

by A. Graham Bellreply 16110/14/2011

Anybody have personal experience or can relay stories about any of the no-contract monthly pre-paid Virgin Mobile, Boost, Metro PCS. I'm also wary of paying at least $90/month for a smartphone...and Virgin Mobile's $35 month plan sounds tempting. Altho i've read complaints about their customer service. Any stories?

by A. Graham Bellreply 16210/15/2011

Doesn't the prepay stuff wind up being more expensive even with moderate usage? If you've got credit just go for a "free" phone with the least expensive plan.

by A. Graham Bellreply 16310/15/2011

r161 gets it.

by A. Graham Bellreply 16410/15/2011

Yup, R161 got it.

by A. Graham Bellreply 16510/15/2011

The true iPhone5 will come out next year and will blow the 4s out of the water. It will have a bigger screen, a true HD screen, support flash, etc, etc.

Why not wait till next summer and get a much better iPhone?

by A. Graham Bellreply 16610/15/2011

R166, since a new/better iPhone comes out almost every single year (never longer than 18months, sometimes less than a year), you could [italic]ALWAYS[/italic] say that. And end up waiting forever.

Don't be an idiot.

by A. Graham Bellreply 16710/15/2011

R167, Apple releases a game-changing phone every 2 years to sync with the 2-year contract that owners must sign. In-between those 2 years, they release a "s" model with minor improvements. It's crazy to spend $200-400 for the "s" model, which will be completely obsolete in a few months. Good things come to those who wait.

by A. Graham Bellreply 16810/15/2011

It would seem that the "S" models would be the safer bet because they essentially improve on and repair all the kinks that can and often do arise with any new device (e.g., the antenna issue with the original AT&T iphone 4). It seems nearly certain that an iphone 5 will be released next year and it will probably look different and have some more juiced up specs, but it's also quite likely that an iphone 5s will launch a year after that and everyone who jumps at the 4s this time around will be up for contract for that model. Lather, rinse and repeat.

by A. Graham Bellreply 16910/15/2011

r169 makes total sense of the "should I wait" issue. No point in waiting, especially if you want the phone now. I think I'd rather have the "s" version anyway.

I was one of the guys who got the IPhone 4S on the day they released it. I'm not an obsessive Apple geek, but I was due an upgrade for my Verizon plan anyway.

I've never had an iphone and wanted to switch from my Blackberry. I never EVER used any of the apps that Blackberry offers. I don't mind jumping through hoops and learning curves for a computer....but I just need my phone to be idiot proof as it were. I got the 64gig Iphone since I intend to use the ipod aspect of it a LOT and I have at least 4 times that much in music (my 160 Ipod is full!).

So far I am loving the phone. I really like what I see and have used. Love the ease of acquiring an app and using it. I like searching the apps for an "idea" of something I might need and finding a bunch of options. And appreciate the free apps. I am still searching for the best, low cost/free, easy to use GPS app.

Siri is fascinating but I will say, for now, not life changing. It has had trouble "accessing the network" a few times which was annoying. I'm hoping that might just be because so many people are experimenting with Siri on the network right now. Honestly, I only see myself using Siri occasionally it's not really a deal breaker. And I expect it will get better anyway once the "new" wears off. I like the sound quality on phone calls. Nothing "dropped" yet.

LOVE the ease of playing my mp3s and videos. And just started adding books. We'll see if I actually take to reading them on my train rides or not.

If the Iphone 5 DOES have a bigger screen, I don't think it would matter to me much. If the phone itself is bigger then I wouldn't want it. And if they just find a way to integrate the home button and the earpiece so that the screen can expand over those, I don't think it would make a huge difference to me anyway. (once you need reading glasses like me :( such miniscule size increases don't matter much)

So that's my 2 cents. Love the Iphone 4s so far.

OH...and all my computing is done on Windows Laptops. I don't own a MAC. But the Iphone to pc interface hasn't caused a problem for me yet.

Would love to hear other's experience with the new Iphone. Next.......

by A. Graham Bellreply 17010/18/2011

R170, have you used the camera or the photo editing element?

by A. Graham Bellreply 17110/18/2011

[quote]The true iPhone5 will come out next year and will blow the 4s out of the water. It will have a bigger screen, a true HD screen, support flash, etc, etc.

We don't know this. We never officially know if/when Apple will be releasing a new iPhone until about a week before it goes on sale. They don't comment on rumors of future features until they make the announcement.

We especially don't know if they'll increase the size of the screen, and it's still very unlikely they'll ever add Flash support.

by A. Graham Bellreply 17210/18/2011

Of course it's going to have a much bigger screen. It has to if it wants to compete with the new Androids. All smartphones are going to get bigger, so you'd better get used to it. The new iPhone4s looks so dated with its small screen next to the new Android 4Gs. Y'all were crazy for buying it--now you're gonna have wait 2 more years to play catch-up.

by A. Graham Bellreply 17310/18/2011

For anyone who has purchased the iphone 4s, have you been experiencing this much publicized phantom battery drain?? Apparently, even the folks at Apple are baffled by it and are in the process of troubleshooting the issue with the help of iphone users.

I'm up for my upgrade in two weeks and this is the phone I was going to buy, but this issue is giving me serious pause. I'm hoping they come up with a resolution soon for all the people that shelled out money for this device that was supposed to be an improvement over its predecessor.

by A. Graham Bellreply 17410/29/2011

There's a spat of new phones coming out this Fall, anyone getting one in particular?

by A. Graham Bellreply 17511/05/2011

I've owned iphone, blackberry and android over the years. The iphone 4S blows them all away IMO.

by A. Graham Bellreply 17611/06/2011

The Nokia Lumia 800 looks good... though it doesn't look like it'll be coming to the US. But I bet one with better specs will.

The HTC Titan looks good too. The Radar looks okay.

by A. Graham Bellreply 17711/06/2011

"I've owned iphone, blackberry and android over the years."

You are a marketer's wet dream.

by A. Graham Bellreply 17811/06/2011

[quote]You are a marketer's wet dream

LOL. I just like cool new toys. I don't have a partner or kids so I spend the money on myself.

by A. Graham Bellreply 17911/06/2011

Well, try a Windows phone 7 next... HTC Titan looks pretty awesome.

by A. Graham Bellreply 18011/06/2011

You have two choices:

1. iPhone

2. iPhone poseur

by A. Graham Bellreply 18111/06/2011

Please help me. I'm drunk & suicidal. Where can I call? Thank you. Sory for interrupting post.

by A. Graham Bellreply 18211/06/2011

Please help me. I'm nor kidding. ENd.

by A. Graham Bellreply 18311/06/2011

[bold]USA Today: Windows Phone 7 "Mango" is the best phone experience that you've never tried.[/bold]

When buying a new smartphone — or adding one to a holiday gift list — there's just one question: iPhone or Android?

(Friends don't let friends buy BlackBerrys.)

But what if someone out there was doing it better than iPhone and Android?

If there's a company coming close, it's Microsoft, with its Windows line of smartphones.

I've been using the HTC Radar 4G on T-Mobile for a week, which runs the new Windows Phone operating system 7.5.

The updated OS — dubbed Mango — is a welcome upgrade to an already fantastic user experience.

It's the best phone experience that you've never tried.

Where Apple and Android have settled on home screens of small square app icons, Windows has created a vertical column of interactive tiles that display information — unread e-mails, missed calls, weather, etc.

With an easy wipe to the left, you've got all the other options and settings you'd ever want to access.

This vertical organization is echoed in other Windows phone apps. In e-mail, you can swipe left for columns of unread e-mail, starred messages and urgent ones. It's so instantly intuitive that it makes jumping from app to app a breeze. It just works.

[bold]Knows the score[/bold]

The Windows phone platform also boasts the best integration of Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Documents can be stored online and shared using Microsoft's SkyDrive service.

The big knock to the platform, though, is the limited number of apps. But that number is growing, and many of the biggies are there.

Netflix works great. So does Twitter and Facebook. One notable hole, though: no Pandora.

But the app ecosystem now has more than 40,000 titles, according to a study last week by fan site All About Windows Phone, and is rising fast.

Windows Phone 7.5 also includes a voice-controlled assistant, very similar to Apple's much-hyped Siri feature in the iPhone 4S.

It's not quite as powerful as Siri, which can also unravel a user's intent.

You can ask Siri, for example: "Will I need an umbrella tomorrow?"

The Microsoft TellMe service fumbles that request, sending you to a Web search for the phrase.

TellMe does do several things that Siri can't yet, though. You can tell the service to open an app. You can also ask for the most recent professional sports scores. Siri can't do either of those things.

[bold]A better way[/bold]

The Windows Phone platform is a total joy to use.

It makes me wish that iOS and Android hadn't settled on such similar navigation systems.

We should all feel a bit cheated. There are better ways to operate a smartphone.

And, for the first time in a while, Microsoft knows something its competitors do not.

by A. Graham Bellreply 18411/24/2011

While I'm glad the USA Today review is positive, I'm really disappointed in the second wave of WP phones. I'm hoping Nokia brings a phone with better specs to the US. With Skype integration coming soon, there's no reason for any of the second wave phones to be lacking front-facing cameras--and those that do have the front-facing cameras still have the not-so-great 5MP rear camera. The ideal Nokia phone for me to drop the DVP would be no less than 16G memory, front-facing camera, and, at minimu, an 8MP rear camera with improved lens and optics. I considered the HTC Radar (I'm on T-Mo) but the 8G memory isn't enough. I use at least 15G on my DVP, between apps, music, videos, podcasts, and Office files so an 8G phone is not an option in any way. Let's see what comes in Q1.

by A. Graham Bellreply 18511/24/2011

My HTC Inspire does not have Swype texting, and I'm baffled.

Anyone have update info or managed to get it downloaded to your phone?

by A. Graham Bellreply 18611/24/2011

R185, the HTC Titan has a great camera and is getting great reviews.

And the rumors are that the phone Nokia is bringing to market will meet your specs quite handily.

My contract isn't up until end of February anyway... by then the Nokia phones should be out, along with a few others. I'll be shopping and giving WP7 strong consideration then.

by A. Graham Bellreply 18711/25/2011

Here you go. 40% off the first year of service at Credo (Sprint network), which supports Occupy Wall St. and other progressive causes. Great smartphones.

by A. Graham Bellreply 18811/25/2011

Has anybody bought a flashed/rooted Android? I have Boost Mobile and want to upgrade to a smartphone, but something slightly higher-end that what they offer officially.

by A. Graham Bellreply 18912/03/2011

Android phones, or at least some of them, contain a serious glitch that an attacker could exploit to steal data, eavesdrop on your calls or even wipe your phone clean.

by A. Graham Bellreply 19012/03/2011

Stay away from Blackberry.

by A. Graham Bellreply 19112/03/2011

Yeah...I switched from Blackberry to the new Iphone 4s...and I haven't looked back and haven't regretted it. I never used the Blackberry's features like I do the Iphone.

I never really had the "battery problem" that supposedly plagued some new Iphones. But I did run the system update (the "fix") when it came out a few weeks ago. And I must say the phone and it's battery have been solid ever since. I really tested it by driving for several hours out to a no man's land (read: bad reception area) and the phone did great and battery never died. Also had an early morning flight...used the GPS apps...went to work...checked e-mails/texts, etc, etc...and when I got to my hotel later that night I still had more than ' battery life. I was actually suprised by that.

So my Iphone experience, as a new user and not an Apple worshipper, has been a solid "A" thus far. My friend has an HTC (I think). Big screen. Bigger than my Iphone. Vids looked great on it. But I realized I wouldn't like the large screen for comfort reasons. If screen is important then go for an Android. But the Iphone size actually fits the limit of how large I want the phone to be. I need to carry it on my belt (not in a bag, not in my pocket)for work and I'm not super tall, so the Iphone size is good. It would be great if Apple can someday find a way to integrate or move the earpiece and/or integrate the bottom button into the screen so that the vids can cover the whole of the "footprint" of the screen without enlarging the whole phone. But it's really a minimal advantage.

Really happy someone came in and started this thread at the exact time I switched my own phone. Whatever phone you get...I am still sometimes amazed at what technology can DO these days. Not just from 30 years ago...but from 10 years ago!

But heaven help us if technology ever throws a massive fail at us!!

by A. Graham Bellreply 19212/10/2011

It's funny that I have resisted the iphone as I have ipods, nanos, macbook and mac mini.

I dunno, r192- When I'm at work, everyone with an iphone is always recharging their phones. And I can tell immediately who has an iphone when they call me because the crap reception and every call gets dropped everytime.

Or is it just in the LA area?

by A. Graham Bellreply 19312/10/2011

If a trouble free, working phone is your top priority, get an iPhone. I work at Verizon and 95 percent of customer phone complaints, requests for help, and returns for problems come from Android phone customers. It's rare than a customer returns with a problem with an iPhone. They just work.

by A. Graham Bellreply 19412/10/2011

r192 here... I should probably preface it with, of course, I have Verizon and I live in NYC. I've always sworn by Verizon cell reception for NYC. (and generally, Long Island) Not sure about L.A.

I have never had a dropped call, ever, with my new phone. And my battery is primo. I also use BoostMagic for Battery App in the hopes that it truly maximizes battery life. I have a friend with an ATT Iphone and her reception often sucks.

So really...I guess first step is to be certain who has best cell coverage for your area and go from there.

by A. Graham Bellreply 19512/10/2011

HTC Titan Review:

by A. Graham Bellreply 19612/10/2011

I have this phone. It does everything I want.

by A. Graham Bellreply 19712/10/2011

I love those Samsung ads just because it exposes the clueless hipster-smuggery of so many iPhone users.

Not that I actually endorse Android, which is little more than a "geeky" copy of the iPhone, with some kitchen sinks thrown in and little thought to actual design or usability (or battery life).

by A. Graham Bellreply 19812/10/2011

How's the battery life, R197?

by A. Graham Bellreply 19912/10/2011

Three days or so between charges, r197. R198, please come back when you know what you're talking about.

by A. Graham Bellreply 20012/10/2011

I totally know what I'm talking about, R200.

Do you?

by A. Graham Bellreply 20112/10/2011

Now this is just crazy.

by A. Graham Bellreply 20212/12/2011

I *love* the new Samsung ads that slam the sheep/hipster mentality of so many iPhone users. And I say this as a current (but probably not future) iPhone owner:

by A. Graham Bellreply 20312/12/2011

by A. Graham Bellreply 20412/12/2011

Will T-Mobile ever fricking get the iphone?

by A. Graham Bellreply 20512/12/2011

Isn't T-Mobile being absorbed by AT&T?

by A. Graham Bellreply 20612/12/2011

That's on-hold. It's not certain what's going to happen now.

by A. Graham Bellreply 20712/12/2011

Waiting to see the Nokia Lumia 900 release here in the US....

by A. Graham Bellreply 20812/13/2011

The Nokia N8/N9 phones are beautiful too, with a beautiful interface and Zeiss cameras. Unfortunately, the Meego platform is dead in the water.

by A. Graham Bellreply 20912/13/2011

Yeah, but WP7 "mango" is awesome, and put on awesome Nokia hardware, should be a winner. If they can ever get the phones into customers' hands.

by A. Graham Bellreply 21012/13/2011

The Android marketplace is filled with malware, and there have been lots of attacks on Android phones. Zero on iPhones or Windows phones.

"Android is the most heavily victimized smartphone platform by far. In fact, in the most recent quarter, it was the only smartphone platform targeted by malware. And just this past week, Google removed 22 malware apps from its Android Marketplace."

And the security researchers that alerted Google to the malware apps now say they've found even more. Remember, these are in Google's own app store.

Both Apple and Microsoft actually curate their stores, testing for malware. Google does not. Microsoft goes farther in the OS, providing extensive sandboxing that makes many forms of malware impossible to write to begin with.

by A. Graham Bellreply 21112/14/2011

Side note to R211... if you use an Android phone, it's best to sick with curated app markets, like the Amazon Appstore for Android. They DO curate/test apps before making them available. So you'll have a smaller selection, but a safer selection.

by A. Graham Bellreply 21212/14/2011

R202, I see I'm not the only one with a hard-on for the Note. I can't wait for that bad boy to get to the States. I'm with Verizon and was very disappointed when it passed on the Galaxy S2, but I will switch instantly to the carrier that offers the Note. [bold]Cannot wait![/bold]

by A. Graham Bellreply 21312/15/2011

Another video on the Samsung Galaxy Note. This is an overview of the phone's software. Totally awesome.

by A. Graham Bellreply 21412/15/2011

r213- it's for sale on Amazon for the princely sum of $679.99

by A. Graham Bellreply 21512/15/2011

R213, the price of the Samsung Galaxy Note will drop when it arrives in the US and is available through domestic carriers. That price is for an unlocked phone. I assume the price may still be somewhat high, but the amazing features and specs help to justify it.

by A. Graham Bellreply 21612/15/2011

The Note is too big for me to be practical as a phone. It would be too big for your jeans' pocket.

by A. Graham Bellreply 21712/15/2011

Pocket?! Honey, you need to get yourself one of these.

by A. Graham Bellreply 21812/16/2011

[bold]Windows Phone dominates Amazon Best Rated Phone list, beating Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G[/bold]

Windows Phone 7 is well know to have great customer satisfaction rates, but it in fact deserve to be known as legendary.

On Amazon’s list of Phones by Rating Windows Phone 7 handsets (the HTC Titan, Samsung Focus S and Verizon HTC Trophy) hold all three top spots, and with the HTC Radar 4G and Samsung Focus Flash rounding out position 8 and 8 hold 50% of the top 10 spots.

The humble Verizon HTC Trophy for example beats out the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and LTE Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket. In fact for the top rated HTC Titan on AT&T, 64 out of 64 buyers would recommend it.

While sales have clearly not followed satisfied customers yet Windows Phone 7 clearly needs more recognition for keeping their existing buyers very happy indeed.

In fact, based on these ratings, I think none of our readers should hesitate for a second to recommend a Windows Phone to friends and family this holiday season.

by A. Graham Bellreply 21912/26/2011

I bought a Galaxy Android. I used it for a month, and went back to my nice simple phone. One touch of a button to answer the phone, and one touch to end the call. Isn't that how a phone should work?

I can't stand smartphones. Too many steps to answer the phone, hang up the phone, look and respond to messages, and everything else. And why do people think swiping is easier than pushing a button? Not to mention the amount of wasted time it takes to learn how to use the phone. At times I wanted to smash the thing.

I think most people, like myself just get sucked in by the concept.

by A. Graham Bellreply 22012/26/2011

No, r220, most people buy the phones and use them and keep them and aren't bothered by swiping instead of pushing a button.

by A. Graham Bellreply 22112/26/2011

Eldergay here -- just got a Sprint-variant Galaxy S2 that I had flashed to Boost Mobile. I'm like a toddler with a new toy.

by A. Graham Bellreply 22201/04/2012

I'm jealous, R222. Stupid Verizon decided to pass on that phone (idiots!). I'm sure you'll be in love soon (if you aren't already!).

by A. Graham Bellreply 22301/04/2012

R223, the HTC Rezound is comparable on Verizon -- actually, a little snazzier than the Galaxy S2 (faster processors, HD display).

by A. Graham Bellreply 22401/04/2012

Verizon also has the Galaxy Nexus, which has more or less the same specs as the Galaxy S2 and the very latest version of Android.

by A. Graham Bellreply 22501/04/2012

Thanks, R224. I'm actually waiting for the Samsung Galaxy Note to make it's appearance (hopefully later this year). I know it's already available as an unlocked phone, but I want a locked version. I'll switch to another carrier if I have to.

By the way, does anyone know if Samsung has something equivalent to the Motorola's MotoCast (see link)? Thanks.

by A. Graham Bellreply 22601/04/2012

Okay, phone-nerd boys and girls. The Samsung Galaxy Note is coming soon! It'll (hopefully) be revealed in Las Vegas next week. It seems that Sprint and AT&T will be carrying it, which means that lame-ass Verizon will drop the ball yet again, just like it did with the Galaxy SII. Their pride demanded a "unique" phone, aka the Samsung Nexus, with its outdated GPU PowerVR SGX540. Well, it doesn't matter. See ya, Verizon! Woohoo!!!

by A. Graham Bellreply 22701/05/2012

I'm more looking for to the Nokia ACE (also announcing this month at CES)... looks pretty awesome.

by A. Graham Bellreply 22801/05/2012

I know of the Android differences. My SO has the LG Optimus and the install on that is TOTALLY alien when compared with the one on my Samsung.

I know where everything is on my phone. On his, they bury so many settings it's not funny. It's almost completely hobbled.

I wish Google had exercised greater control over Android to be honest.

by A. Graham Bellreply 22901/06/2012

Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile are rolling out 4G (WiMAX, not LTE) at the end of the month. The phones -- EVO Design 4G for Boost, EVO V 4G for Virgin -- are very nice, though not bleeding-edge.

by A. Graham Bellreply 23005/16/2012

Looks like Apple is going to succeed in crushing HTC. Their phones have been seize by US Customs. No word when they will be released, but it isn't looking good.

by A. Graham Bellreply 23105/16/2012

I forgot to mention there are two Android phones in the house. My Samsung is a pretty good implementation of Android 2.2. But the SO has an LG Optimus with 2.3 and it's fucking horrid!

Things I can easily do on my phone, he can't do on his. The feature DOES NOT EXIST.

But I'll be damned if I want to be tied to at&t or Verizon and I will not buy an Apple product so Android it is.

by A. Graham Bellreply 23205/16/2012

But there's still the Nokia 900 Windows Phone ... it's getting rave reviews.

by A. Graham Bellreply 23305/16/2012

Cricket Wireless just became the first prepaid carrier to get the iPhone.

by A. Graham Bellreply 23406/03/2012

I don't care that much about phones but I have a google droid with voice texting. I think it's amazing. It even knows grammar and punctuation. I also like how I can use the google voice feature to find restaurants on the way home in the car. It brings up what you want and you push "call."

by A. Graham Bellreply 23506/03/2012

I wish iPhones had haptic touch.

by A. Graham Bellreply 23606/03/2012

R231, those phones have now cleared customs and are available for sale in the US.

The Google Nexus S, last year's Nexus phone, is now free from Best Buy Mobile with a 2-year contract. It originally shipped with Android 2.3 but is upgradeable to 4.0.

by A. Graham Bellreply 23706/03/2012

Virgin Mobile now has the iPhone.

by A. Graham Bellreply 23807/24/2012

Slightly off-topic:

Are DL's T-Mobile customers happy with their data speeds? I'm on Sprint in a non-4G area, and their 3G is painfully slow. I'm very tempted to switch to T-Mobile because they now have unlimited 4G (no caps or throttling).

by A. Graham Bellreply 23909/09/2012

Nokia Lumia 920 is reportedly going on sale first week of November for AT&T ... looks like an awesoem phone. I'm due to upgrade, and will probably ditch my iPhone 4 for it. I need a change.

by A. Graham Bellreply 24009/09/2012

R239, yes and no. I actually switched from Sprint earlier this year, and bought a Galaxy S3 for Tmobile. (The phone is the greatest thing I've ever seen.)

Overall, I've found speeds are better, although I did upgrade to a new phone. However, I've found there are more places (in the middle of the city, not out in the country or whatever) where I can't get, or struggle to get, 4G.

That said, I'm glad I made the switch. I suffered under Sprint for far too long. To me, Tmobile feels at least a little more customer focused.

by A. Graham Bellreply 24109/09/2012

My laptop is Apple. Does it make sense for me to buy a non-Apple smartphone? I really don't feel like joining the iPhone brigade.

by A. Graham Bellreply 24209/09/2012

[quote]My laptop is Apple. Does it make sense for me to buy a non-Apple smartphone?

Eh, if you already work primarily in an Apple environment, it makes sense to get an iPhone. See, that's how Apple wants it.

by A. Graham Bellreply 24309/09/2012

When I buy the new iPhone, should I also get iCare?

by A. Graham Bellreply 24409/09/2012

I personally think you should, r244. If you drop the phone on the ground or in water and it gets damaged(very likely if not in a good case or cover) or if it stops working for whatever reason, you can replace it for only $50 for up to 2 years from the purchase date because the AppleCare essentially extends the life of the warranty. It'll add another $100 to the price, but the insurance plans offered through the cell phone carriers are usually a rip-off and not worth it when you consider how much better the service is from Apple/Apple stores directly.

by A. Graham Bellreply 24509/09/2012

I've had an iPhone for years (first a 3G, now a 4... having skipped both the 3GS and the 4S), never had a case, never dropped it, and never thought either one needed a case.

by A. Graham Bellreply 24609/09/2012

[quote]The one large difference is that Android phones (even the oldest ones) come with built-in Google Maps with voice navigation, whereas iPhones have Google Maps but no nav capabilities.

I use the navigational capabilities of my iPhone all the time. It opens maps, draws routes, identifies where I am and tracks my route as I travel.

by A. Graham Bellreply 24709/09/2012

R247, you're missing the point. There's no turn-by-turn navigation in iPhone maps. What you're talking about is primiatve compared to what everyone else is talking about.

You can get it on the iPhone, though, via the MapQuest app, among others.

But it doesn't "come with it" out of the box.

by A. Graham Bellreply 24809/09/2012

Turn-by-turn voice navigation is going to be one of the features on the iphone 5 that's being unveiled this week.

by A. Graham Bellreply 24909/09/2012

So, if you have to replace your iPhone for whatever reason, it costs $150, even with iCare? That doesn't sound like a very good deal to me.

by A. Graham Bellreply 25009/09/2012

R249, yeah, but you're losing street-view, and you're losing public transit routing on the iPhone 5 (and in iOS6).

Both Windows Phone and Android have both.

by A. Graham Bellreply 25109/09/2012

Total plant here..........SHILL!!!!!

by A. Graham Bellreply 25209/09/2012

Anyone have the Galaxy S3? The commercials for this phone looks so cool! Even better than the iPhone. I really want one.

by A. Graham Bellreply 25309/10/2012

I just heard that the iPhone 5 is going to have a rotary dial.

by A. Graham Bellreply 25409/10/2012

[quote]Anyone have the Galaxy S3? The commercials for this phone looks so cool! Even better than the iPhone. I really want one.

I have one and I love it. It's the best smartphone I've ever seen.

If you are thinking of buying one, though, I would recommend you go and look at one in person, and hold it in your hand. It's almost more like a really small tablet, and the size is offputting for some people.

by A. Graham Bellreply 25509/10/2012

I luv the new win8 smart phone. I'm brain damaged .

Uhyayup, sure am.

by A. Graham Bellreply 25609/10/2012

Thanks R255. I have an EVO so I'm comfortable with large phones as it is a brick!

I will admit that I got an Android phone because I couldn't get an iphone in the beginning but now I genuinely like the system and can't imagine getting an iphone at this point. I also have a Nexus tablet which is great and goes nicely with my phone.

I have an upgrade due and think I will get the S3.

by A. Graham Bellreply 25709/10/2012

WP7 has turn-by-turn navigation, its own native Shazam-like app and Siri-like functionality for Internet Explorer. Tens of thousands of apps, but as a comparison to rgw larger iOS and Android numbers, I don't really care. I can only use so many. (I read an article that said the average smartphone user uses on average 7 apps, no matter how many they have loaded on the phone.)

Outside the consumer debate for (or not) WP7, you will be seeing large companies adopting Windows phone as the corporate standard. This will be driven by IT's need for securely managing the their Windows-based infrastructure as well as be able to seemlessly deploy core business applications (like expense report programs) across desktops, laptops and phones running Win8.

by A. Graham Bellreply 25809/10/2012

Live blogging from today's Apple event for the new iphone 5:

by A. Graham Bellreply 25909/12/2012

Still getting an S3. Apple offers nothing new. Or maybe I should hold out for the next Nexus device. That's coming in the fall, right? Will Samsung be making that one too?

by A. Graham Bellreply 26009/13/2012

Smartphones are for Dumbpeople

by A. Graham Bellreply 26109/13/2012

The Smart Ass Phone

by A. Graham Bellreply 26209/13/2012

Is there a dialling the phone with a pencil app? Or do I need to buy an iPencil for the touchscreen?

by A. Graham Bellreply 26309/13/2012

[quote]Or maybe I should hold out for the next Nexus device.

I really like the Nexus except for the lack of an SD card slot.

by A. Graham Bellreply 26409/13/2012

R261 is 100 years old.

by A. Graham Bellreply 26509/13/2012

I just switched from iPhone to Galaxy S III and I really like it - Android seems like it gives me more control over a lot of things than iPhone.

by A. Graham Bellreply 26609/13/2012

Dumbphone user here:

If the smartphone is on wifi, does that mean the calls are using wifi and not the cell minutes? Or does wifi usage only affect the data part?

I'm looking to switch to a smartphone for my job and comparing plans for unlimited and set minutes. I will use the phone primarily from home for business calls and if the calls can be made via wifi--I may save a few dollars and not buy the unlimited minutes plan.

by A. Graham Bellreply 26709/13/2012

[quote]If the smartphone is on wifi, does that mean the calls are using wifi and not the cell minutes? Or does wifi usage only affect the data part?

WiFi is only about data, not the voice plan. There is Skype over WiFi, or FaceTime on Apple products, that can use WiFi *instead* of your voice plan.

by A. Graham Bellreply 26809/13/2012

Thanks R268. I may have to go with the unlimited voice plan then.

by A. Graham Bellreply 26909/13/2012

R268 may be right about Apple, but many Android phones let you make wi-fi calls that don't count toward your minutes.

The only issue is that if you're on a wifi call and you move out of the signal area, the call cuts off.

by A. Graham Bellreply 27009/13/2012

Nokia Lumia 920 for me!

by A. Graham Bellreply 27109/13/2012

If I hadn't just gotten an S3, which I love, I'd snag the new Google Nexus S4. At $350 unlocked, it's a steal, and the specs are better than the iPhone 5's and the S3's. (Only catch is the internal storage maxes out at 16GB and there's no SD slot.)

by A. Graham Bellreply 27210/30/2012

R272, I have a S3 too and the SD card option is the main reason I chose that phone. I won't buy electronic gadgets that do not provide expandable memory options; phone, ereader, mp3 player. I've got 12gb of music alone and along with all the apps/whatever else down the pike, who wants to be boxed into 16 or 32gb?

by A. Graham Bellreply 27310/30/2012

I still have the original (pre-3G) iPhone. It's over five years old now, and still works OK, but a lot of apps will no longer work on its operating system, and it can't be upgraded to the newer versions. So I really need to get a new one. I currently have AT&T (because that was the only option with the original iPhone, if you'll recall), but I'd like to switch. I've done some investigating into new phones and carriers, but frankly I'm just overwhelmed.

I guess what I'm looking for is something that does it all, including tethering for the times when I need to use my table or laptop and there's no wi-fi available (like at my mother's house.) But the data plans are SO expensive! And I hate paying for things I don't use-- like unlimited texting. If I send 20 texts a month, it's a busy month.

So I'd consider the new iPhone (maybe on on Verizon?) or an Android-- probably the Galaxy S III, or wait for the new Nexus. I have a T-Mobile pay-as-you go mobile hotspot that I'm happy with, so maybe I should to with them (but that eliminates the iPhone.)

Face it, I'm gonna have this iPhone forever!

by A. Graham Bellreply 27410/31/2012

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have the LG Nexus 4 (Google phone)? If so, what are your thoughts on and experiences with it?

2. Has anyone ever sold an iPhone or other smartphone on Success or horror stories?

by A. Graham Bellreply 27503/25/2013

I'm currently using an iPhone 5, and I'm very happy with it. You should check it out, OP.

by A. Graham Bellreply 27603/26/2013

So, I am thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy with the Virgin Mobile plan...what does 'unlicked' mean? And do I have to ask then to unlock my phone? I think it has to do with being able to switch plans, right?

by A. Graham Bellreply 27703/26/2013

r277, If I'm not mistaken, unlocked means that the phone is not tethered to any particular carrier and can be used on any other character that supports it. I would simply ask Virgin if the phone comes unlocked before signing up.

by A. Graham Bellreply 27803/26/2013

We all have iPhone 5 in my family. I don't want to even think about learning a new phone/carrier plan plus I feel I'm in sync with the rest of the world so I doubt I'll ever change phones. I just learned I can mirror my iPhone through Apple TV onto my big screen TV and it works great. Pretty cool.

by A. Graham Bellreply 27903/26/2013

So I think I'm purchasing a Samsung Galaxy with a Virgin Mobile plan.

What I need to know is this- Are Samsung phones compatible with Macintosh computers? I mean, when I take video or pics are they easy to transfer to my mac? TIA!

by A. Graham Bellreply 28003/26/2013

I got the Samsung Galaxy Victory. How do I transfer photos and video to my mac? Is there an app that makes it easy? Or do I have to download software? Help please!

by A. Graham Bellreply 28103/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!