Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay Kids Who Commit Suicide

Are we too quick to jump to the conclusion that they committed suicide because they were gay? How do we know that this was the case in every death? I'm not trying to downplay this, and I'm sure a lot of gay kids kill themselves over anti-gay bullying, but what about the others who are just generally depressed from teen angst? Perhaps they could be having problems at home. Just a thought.

by Anonymousreply 1707/13/2012

Whether or not gay kids commit suicide because they're gay is not the point. The point is that a lot more gay kids and gay adults commit suicide than non-gay kids or adults. That, in and of itself, speaks volumes.

Moreover, the reported statistics only account for suicides of known gay people. What about the people who commit suicide who never told a soul that they were gay? Don't you think that those deeply closeted people might even be more likely to commit suicide? I do.

by Anonymousreply 109/21/2011

I'm inclined to believe that gay kids and adults tend to have lower-than-average self esteem but do they really kill themselves at a higher rate than the straight population? I think bullying in general is a problem. I don't know anyone who killed themselves in elementary, junior high, or high school, but I did know a couple of straight in college, the other while stationed overseas. Both of them had just been dumped by their fiancees...

Anyway, bullying, regardless of the cause, needs to be addressed. I was never actively bullied in school, but the few times I was teased it was because I was pretty skinny. The only time I ever made a half-hearted attempt at killing myself was when I was 14 and damn tired of living with my mom. I guess you could consider her a bully, but I just thought she was a fucking bitch who was hellbent on making my life miserable...just for the fun of it.

by Anonymousreply 209/21/2011

Let's not forget what it's like to grow up in a world that for the most part either maligns, marginalized, and tells gay kids they don't exist.

Sure, it's not as bad as it used to be, but still.

by Anonymousreply 309/21/2011

by Anonymousreply 409/21/2011

I got picked on for being fat, not being gay. I wanted to kill myself all through my childhood. Had I done it, many would have been quick to blame it on my homosexuality, and not my getting trashed for my appearance.

by Anonymousreply 509/21/2011

What is your point in trying to prove that the statistics are trumped up? As a person who believes that statistics are often manipulated to satisfy certain agendas, I would like to know what your specific point is? Because there isn't a whole lot of evidence to disprove these statistics, as far as I know.

Are you a closeted Hollywood actor with a guilty conscience? Therefore, trying to convince yourself that gay kids are no more likely to commit suicide than straight kids?

Or, are you a former bully of gay kids trying to prove to yourself that gay kids are no more likely to commit suicide than straight kids?

by Anonymousreply 609/21/2011

R5, when I think back to my childhood, people were generally teased for the following reasons (in order):

1. Being fat.

2. Being poor/trashy.

3. Being an uber-nerd.

Sexuality was whispered about and laughed at (late 90s/early 00s), but the gay kids--who would claim they were bi--would tend to travel in packs. They weren't really targeted for teasing or worse.

I think this story will turn out to be similar to Tyler Clementi's in that it will come out that the parents weren't exactly supportive of their child's sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 709/21/2011

Are you kidding, R7?

What school did you attend?

At my school the number one reason kids were bullied was for being "faggy". However, there are a lot more fat, nerdy, and smelly kids than there are "faggy" kids in all schools, so it may appear that way to you.

Or, let's put it this way. If you had "faggy" mannerisms, you were going to be bullied. If you were fat, or any of the other things, you, at least had a chance of escaping the bully.

by Anonymousreply 809/21/2011

No, I'm not kidding. Granted I feel like I'm part of the last generation of children who didn't consider being overweight normal, but fat was definitely the thing that got kids teased the most. We had a gayish kid in elementary school who had pink and purple everything, but he came from a good family and it was rare you heard the occasional snide comment. Maybe it's a regional thing...I grew up in the midwest if that makes a difference.

by Anonymousreply 909/21/2011

In my experience -- high school mid 90's -- being homosexual wasn't cause for much teasing. There were 3 of us on our soccer team and most people knew (or suspected) and didn't say much about it. But people with gender role issues were always the butt of jokes and taunts. Those people seem to make up a huge percentage of DL posters and like to think of themselves as "gay", so the opinions here are very skewed.

by Anonymousreply 1102/27/2012

It's funny you mention fat people. I remember being in second grade and the teacher asked us what we "hated." Nobody really raised their hand, so she called on one kid, and he said "I hate fat people." I remember thinking both the question and that is was asked was weird. In second grade I couldn't think of anything I hated. Except the doctor's office.

Having said that, I think there may be something to what OP is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 1202/27/2012

fat faggot fairy freak = my elementary school constant humiliation

by Anonymousreply 1302/28/2012

Are you guys fucking serious guys I was totally bullied for being gay.I don't think there was a day I didn't get called a poofter or fag or worse.i did not even really know I was gay but my school was sure.

Now I am not saying I was miserable,in a lot of ways I was lucky,I liked school and people in it and I was never bashed up but sometimes it was hell.

Add to that mix Facebook and a more knowing Straight community and I think life could be pretty fuked for some gay people.

I get some people may not have had issues at school but if everyone was so okay with all of this please oh please explain why anyone would bother being closeted.

by Anonymousreply 1402/28/2012

I was called a faggot often. Gay kids in my high school were singled out. Where I went to school, in rural America, fat kids seemed to bully the gay kids. Band members bullied gay kids. Drama kids bullied gay kids, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1502/28/2012

The Trevor Project estimates that an LGBTQ kid commits suicide once every five hours --

And for every kid who completes, another 20 attempt.

And if you want to see what trans-bashing looks like, you only have to spend a few minutes on DL ... the transphobia on this site is breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 1602/28/2012

A LOT of teenagers and adults both LGBT, and hetero kill themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1707/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!