Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Another gay teen commits suicide

Jamey Rodemeyer, a 14-year-old boy from Williamsville, NY, took his life Sunday after what his parents claim was years of bullying because of struggles with his sexuality.

His parents, Tracy and Tim Rodemeyer, say that Jamey faced bullies for years, though things intensified in middle school, according to NBC 2. Jamey recently became a freshman at Williamsville North High School.

In the wake of their loss, the Rodemeyers hope to carry on a message of anti-bullying and acceptance. "To the kids who are bullying they have to realize that words are very powerful and what you think is just fun and games isn't to some people, and you are destroying a lot of lives," Jamey's father told WIVB.

Tracy Rodemeyer misses her son, but hopes the loss can still be used to teach a message of tolerance. "It took him away from our family way too early and we're just convinced that he had a purpose on this planet and it was to touch as many people as he could," she told NBC 2.

According to NBC, the Rodemeyers had gone to the school about the problem in the past. Jamey even sought counseling to learn to deal with the problem, but it seems it wasn't enough.

While they say their son seemed happy in the days leading up to the tragedy, his "It Gets Better" YouTube posting from May includes details about how intense the bullying was.

Through it all, Jayme remained outwardly optimistic. “That's all you have to do. Just love yourself and you're set. And I promise you, it'll get better,” he said in the video, which you can see in full below.

Gay bullying has been gaining increasing attention in the media, as a number of tragedies has brought the issue into the spotlight. Earlier this month the California State Senate passed "Seth's Law" a measure designed to curb anti-gay bullying in schools.

by Anonymousreply 2603/03/2013

We need two or three more threads about this.

by Anonymousreply 109/21/2011

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 209/21/2011

Sadly, only the tough survive.

by Anonymousreply 309/21/2011

In many ways, being a gay teen today is worse because of the technology we "eldergays" didn't have to contend with. Home was a safe haven whenever school sucked because of bullying....but where does a gay teen go today to escape taunting? Social networking makes it possible to make someone's life a living hell, 24/7!

by Anonymousreply 409/21/2011

[quote]We need two or three more threads about this.

You do understand that this is about yet another recent suicide, not the same one we've been talking about, right?

by Anonymousreply 509/21/2011

Oh, sorry, I now see there already was a thread about this particular boy. Well, anyway, let's reign in the cuntiness when our youth are killing themselves.

by Anonymousreply 609/21/2011

I meant rein in! Forgive me!

by Anonymousreply 709/21/2011

This story is tearing me up. .. I've been crying buckets. .. He was only a baby.

by Anonymousreply 809/22/2011

Why does this keep happening? Why don't they go to someone who can help them?

by Anonymousreply 909/22/2011

It's not that easy, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1009/22/2011

Amherst, NY Police Department’s Special Victims Unit is considering charging three students with hate crimes or harassment over the suicide of Jamey Rodemeyer.

Police Chief John C. Askey told Buffalo News: “We’ve heard that there were some specific students, an identifiable group of students, that had specifically targeted Jamey, or had been picking on him for a period of time.

“We’re looking into it to see if he was the victim of any crimes, and that’s the bottom line. We’re going to be speaking to school officials and students and anyone with direct information about crimes that may have been committed against this individual.”

Police have not yet revealed how Jamey killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 1109/26/2011

I hope that every kid that picked on this boy is quaking in their boots over the posibility of facing hate crime charges.

by Anonymousreply 1209/26/2011

Unfortunately, the bullies' attitude is likely to be "good riddance" and they are GLAD he killed himself. The hate and evil is pretty deep. I don't think "quaking in boots" would describe these people very accurately.

by Anonymousreply 1309/26/2011

Has anyone heard/read how he commited suicide? Usually it would be mentioned in the news...this is horrible, of course, and maybe there's a good reason it's being kept quiet.

by Anonymousreply 1409/26/2011

so very sad,,, the thing to understand is that if the religious officials(and the people supporting them)think that being gay is sin then so is casual sex or having a love child(as in bible).... if these people have accepted sex and alcohol so openly and happily then they should've been ready for this....and guess what the next trend's going to be after people have accepted gays and lesbs. . . . . ?

by Anonymousreply 1503/03/2013

Yeah R4. This breaks my heart, but although the internet liberated gays, it was also what made them more visible.

You'd think there'd be more tolerance now and of course in many ways there is. But kids are different, now gays are so embedded in culture you can't hide from it, before you could maybe find safety in the closet while putting up with some bullying. There was playground bullying before of course, but being gay was much more taboo then and rarely in mainstream culture.

by Anonymousreply 1603/03/2013

Dear Parents

Please stop giving your children toddler names. They can't legally change their names until they are 18 and they don't need to have a toddler name in their teens. It doesn't help, no matter how you spell it.

Love, Mykee

by Anonymousreply 1703/03/2013

His birth name was probably James.

by Anonymousreply 1803/03/2013

Why didn't the parents pull him out of school if they knew he's been bullied for years? I'm not saying it was their fault, but I was bullied for years when I was younger and ended up dropping out of school and having major PTSD over it.

If you know your child is suffering, DO SOMETHING, don't just stand there and act helpless. It was their job to protect him, not the school's or the bullied kids and their parents. Should others have helped him? Sure, but they weren't and they weren't going to either. Bottom line, he was their kid, not somebody else's, and it was their responsibility.

My nephew was bullied and he's homeschooled now. That's an option that wasn't available when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 1903/03/2013

I work in a public school as a teacher. We've just started a Gay Straight Alliance for our school, and I have to say it's a very difficult start. We have the TOTAL support of our principals and school board, but the gay kids in the building are just terrified of being out.

Please know that many gay teachers are doing everything we can to help these kids.

by Anonymousreply 2003/03/2013

I begged my parents to switch schools. My teachers and what passed for an administration kept telling them that wouldn't help, and I needed to tough it out. Then, thankfully, between 8th and 9th grade, we moved. I told my parents I would take care of informing the school and getting set up in the new school.

What I did was not tell the school anything. I knew that the administrators would think I was changing because I wanted to, and would do everything they could to make it more difficult. That was just the kind of people they were -- prejudiced and bigoted in their own right. So, a week before school was due to start, I went to the new school, walked in and lied to them and said we'd just moved in from out of state, that my father's transfer was sudden, and that I'd have to get my records sent. I gave them a generic sounding school name in a state on the other side of the country. I didn't even know if such a school existed, I just needed to buy some time.

The new school was awesome. The first week was all about testing and evaluating me for which classes I should be in, but lo and behold, I went from being in remedial classes at the old school to advanced in the new. I made friends, got to know a couple of teachers, and settled in before the shit hit the fan.

They called me to the office about a month into the year, and said that the school name I had given them had no record of me, and I confessed the whole thing to the guidance counselor. She was stunned. They had my records sent over, and called my parents in, who were mighty pissed, but thank god for Mrs Davies. In retrospect, she saved my life. She calmly told both my parents and the new admin that I'd obviously done this for a reason, and lets leave things as they were and see how it went. One of my new teachers had spoken to her about me already, I had come to find out, because she thought it was odd that I was in an advanced class without the prep work leading up to it, but that I was working really hard to catch up (and I was and loving every minute of it).

I went from a C student , being held back, to an A student excelling in every subject, even gym. I had made a few good friends, and really turned my life around. I enjoyed school for the first time. I wasn't getting bullied between every class. It was heaven.

I don't know if a kid today could pull the same stunt. This was 1979, and while the records were computerized, not like today, and I doubt the new school would just enroll me on my word. And god help any kid escape Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 2103/03/2013

[quote]We have the TOTAL support of our principals and school board, but the gay kids in the building are just terrified of being out.

Some kids are not ready to be out. Even if all was bliss and roses at school, some kids deal with that on their own private schedule.

They shouldn't have to be out to get help.

by Anonymousreply 2203/03/2013

I like that story, R21.

by Anonymousreply 2303/03/2013

Thanks, R23. It was one of three turning points in my life that had things gone the other way, I don't think I would have survived.

Facebook really worries me. Everyone screams about the government and a national ID system, and then they turn around and freely give 1000 times more information to a private company, and that company has no intention of keeping your information private from anyone, including the government.

I have a nephew who is about the same age as I was when I pulled my trick to start a new life. He's not gay, and doing really well in school, but my brother and particularly his wife are quite strict with him, and they don't even know he has a Facebook profile. I check it out every now and then, and made sure he's locked down as much of the information as they'll allow. I took him aside at Christmas this year and talked to him about being careful on Facebook, and he was trying to tell me he was and worried that I'd tell his parents. I told him I'd keep my mouth shut if he would -- on Facebook.

There hasn't been a major problem with Facebook -- yet. There's some pretty horrible stuff on it, but so far (at least as far as I know) nothing really terrible has happened. But it will, mark my words. It will make that little kerfuffle of employers wanting your facebook password look like the breeze knocking over a lawn chair compared to a hurricane rolling through New Jersey. And of course, everyone will wonder why the gubmint didn't do anything about it.

by Anonymousreply 2403/03/2013

When I was a kid, homosexuality was such an exotic and vague thing that no one was really sure what one looked like. They called me fag, etc. but they didn't really know what it meant.

Today with internet and the media absolutely obsessed with homos, there's no place to hide. You have to come out in kindergarten.

I was able to get by because I sat in the back of the class and never made a peep. I don't think I'd be alive if there had been that must attention on me.

by Anonymousreply 2503/03/2013

When I was a kid we all called people "gag," but it meant "nerd." A girl wore saddle shoes to school -- they were faggy shoes. The school band was faggy. "Nice fag hat."

I didn't know it meant homosexual for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 2603/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!