Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The U.S. is rotten to the core - can it be saved?

Is there anything that can get rid of the rot in America or is it too deeply entrenched?

I don't know if there is anything any politician or leader can do for this country.

Most of the citizens here are so poorly informed and so complacent you start to see how the Germans so easily allowed Germany to start killing Jews.

Anyone else deeply scared of what is happening to our country?

And before anyone posts this: "Hold me, David. I'm Scared."

by Anonymousreply 7110/22/2013

There is inevitability to the gradual decline of America. Many of the theories and practices that worked 50 years and that was the cornerstone of America society, was temporary and had major side-effects. Yah, it provided benefits for the here and now but in the long run it was destructive. And right now America is ripping away at the seams.

Now if the fundamentals of American society was wrong, in this situation, it is the case, there is absolutely nothing you can do to fix the problem.

America, quite frankly one of the most powerful and inventive countries in human history is about to face, the producers of so much be it in the sciences or in social revolution, is now about to embark on incredible downward trend.

And the very sad thing is. I really do think it may be the beginning of the end for that country.

by Anonymousreply 109/20/2011

r1, if we admit that Capitalism is a failed enterprise I think we can survive. We also need to do away with our current government and truly become a representative government.

by Anonymousreply 209/20/2011

Is it just the anti-Obama and Tea Party nonsense or is there more to the malaise (aside from the obvious economic stuff)

by Anonymousreply 309/20/2011

OP, I would say yes, but can you really take up the system at this stage in time? It would be extraordinarily hard. You've all gone to deep end. There's no turning back now. And if you try, it will be painful and bloodletting.

You've all become so superficial and greedy that you've missed what makes a country strong and unbreakable: the human bond. The fact that America is so incredibly individualistic is its vulnerable point. And the utter worship of fools, that you yankees so very fond of-Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber...and the most laughable and perplexing of all: Kim Kardashian is proof that America will never return to its golden age again.

by Anonymousreply 409/20/2011

1. You're confusing 'rotten' with 'messy'. This is a melting pot experiment that is doing amazingly well despite the varied cultures coming together.

2. We are still reaping what we've sown as far as crimes against minorities, women, and gay people. The aftershocks will continue for some time. A great percentage of our loudest bigots should be dying off within the next ten years.

3. You knew about this depression twenty years ago just looking at the baby boom population. A huge drop in income supported by less people in the work force creates a depression.

Depressions are cyclical and have been documented in the 18th, 19th, 20th, and 21st century.

4. Our representative government is made up of old semi-educated white men because that demographic is what received the majority of the benefits. As the privileged angry white man demographic dies, the field will open.

On caution is the idea that true democracy is a good thing. We would have all voted to ban vaccinations when Jenny McCarthy first brought the debunked 'vaccines cause autism' to the public's attention.

As it stands, I believe there would be a witch hunt for any brown-looking person if the voting public had its way regarding immigration.

A representative government protects classes from one another and slows down the process to avoid knee-jerk reactions.

by Anonymousreply 509/20/2011

What do you think will happen to the Canadian economy if the U.S. tanks? You'll be sucking dick for bread alongside the other smug Torontonians.

by Anonymousreply 609/20/2011

Yes OP, but it will require heads on pikes, and I don't think anyone is prepared to go there.

by Anonymousreply 709/20/2011

Kardashian, Bieber etc are all phases. They will be replaced by other ridiculous fads. Twenty years ago people were arguing about the popularity of New Kids, Color Me Badd and Sasha Mitchell. Where are they now?

The real problem is how the US manages to avert the whole Greek/Italy/Euromeltdown, which is not its fault. The next eighteen months will be very important to the state of th eeconomy and the constant Obama-bashing sans solutions won't help matters.

by Anonymousreply 809/20/2011

[quote]And before anyone posts this: "Hold me, David. I'm Scared."

I don't give a shit what anyone says or thinks, that line cracks me up every time.

by Anonymousreply 909/20/2011

The answer OP is no. People aren't just stupid... they are awful. Watch/read the below link for proof

by Anonymousreply 1009/20/2011

It came of having power. Power corrupts. When things collapse and we lose it all, the country will become proportionally more virtuous, at least as a world citizen/victim of other countries.

by Anonymousreply 1109/20/2011

You know what ol' TJ said: The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

We need a revolution. I just wonder if I'll live to see it, and who will win.

I'd seriously like to see the US split into two countries at this point.

by Anonymousreply 1209/20/2011

R12 but where do you split it... there is no north and south. The US is like a fucked up oreo. Dems on the coasts and crazies in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 1309/20/2011

Not me, R12. A split would unleash a LOT of nasty regional hostility. I remember a CNN Susan Rook show about the then unthinkable secessionist movement in Texas. They had on some quite unpleasant white supremacist Texan separatists who made some racially incendiary statements about minorities, shocking Susan to the point of speechlessness.

by Anonymousreply 1409/20/2011

r6 Nothing will happen. We will stay the same. If you haven't noticed, we have no debt and we are quite self-sufficient.

Interesting phenomenon: One u.s. dollar can only purchase 0.98 Canadian dollars.

Oh snap.

by Anonymousreply 1509/20/2011

That's not a bad exchange rate, r15

by Anonymousreply 1609/20/2011

Um, no R15. The Canadian economy is largely dependent on U.S. consumerism, energy consumption, and NAFTA, but thanks for playing!

From the U.S. State Department:

U.S. merchandise imports from Canada (2008)--$347.9 billion: motor vehicles and spare parts, crude petroleum and natural gas, forest products, agricultural products, metals, industrial machinery, and aircraft.

In 2008, 75% of Canada's exports went to the United States.

by Anonymousreply 1709/20/2011

R15, that should do wonders for your exports. Other great things that come with a strong currency: flood of cheaper imports, increase in foreign investment, transfer of labor to bargain countries - ooh, sound familiar?

by Anonymousreply 1809/20/2011

r18 MANY PEOPLE VISIT CANADA. We are known for our peaceful and beautiful settings. People from all over the world visit Canada because our environment's great unlike smog-choked America.{ I often wonder how y'all yankees live. } And I know for a fact that we get a consistent flow of tourists from Japan because of Anne of Green Gables.

And what do people come to America for? We have everything you have. And guess what?! We also happen to have much more which you DON'T have.

by Anonymousreply 1909/20/2011

Ah, yes Canada truly is the Riviera of Champagne tastes and caviar dreams.

"Where did you go for holiday? Barcelona? Capri?"

"No, we went to Calgary. Did you know the phrase, 'Koo loo koo koo Koo Koo Loo Koo Koo' means 'My heart doth beg you'll not forget'?"

by Anonymousreply 2009/20/2011

R19 is not Canadian - just a troll. No semi-literate Canadian uses "y'all" as a colloquialism.

Btw, Toronto has regular smog alerts in the summertime. The 405 highway in S. Ontario is the largest in North America, and consistently choked with traffic. Canadians are just as wasteful and environmentally ignorant as their U.S. neighbours (see Alberta Oil Sands). We just have an annoying and unjustified sense of moral superiority which we owe to American protectionism.

by Anonymousreply 2109/20/2011

r21 The use of y'all actually is not uncommon if you are not in fact a hunched-over middle-aged man, or a senior.

Are you old r21? {Perhaps 98? How's life in Vancouver grandpa?}

by Anonymousreply 2209/20/2011

Stupid Canadian. America's post World War II society is not what we have now. If we had it, then none of this would have happened. We were corrupted by Cold War ideology in combination with technology and corruption. The rot was already apparent by 1980, when the worst and most venal among us were put in charge of the economy. The issue isn't why America is so bad now, it's why America was so temporarily good just after World War II. After all, idiocy and corruption have characterized America pretty much since the secret ballot was adopted and it transferred power from the political party to the people who count the votes. The horror now is that the political corruption class think they have the technology to hold the people in bondage forever, and they are acting on that belief. In 1980 it was Canada which was struggling to tame the rich and give workers a fair shake.

by Anonymousreply 2309/20/2011

No. US can not be saved. And the downfall will be gruesome.

by Anonymousreply 2409/20/2011

I have never heard a fellow Canadian use "y'all" outside of an Alberta trailer park. So, how's the weather in Fort McMurray?

by Anonymousreply 2509/20/2011

We've gone through worse and came out on the other side. This too shall pass.

by Anonymousreply 2609/20/2011

Our Civil War was the beginning of the end. We sacrificed the Republic on the altar of Empire, and started the clock ticking.

by Anonymousreply 2709/20/2011

The U.S. is rotten to the core - can it be saved?

Sure! It was rotten through and through at the end of the 19th century (the Gilded Age) and things got better-after they got worse, of course

by Anonymousreply 2809/20/2011

r26 it's the end of the U.S. as a superpower. We canucks will be the next superpower. Be prepared cocky Americans to bow down before our might.

by Anonymousreply 2909/21/2011

It is too deeply entrenched, and getting more so by the day. There is no hope for a society with a population as ignorant and uninformed as exists right now in the U.S. (and is PROUD of it to boot!). No hope whatsoever.

I'm just glad that I am almost in my 60's and hopefully won't be around long enough to see the total collapse, but that may be wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 3009/21/2011

[quote]If we admit that Capitalism is a failed enterprise I think we can survive. We also need to do away with our current government and truly become a representative government.

[bold]Capitalism is a HUGE success!!!![/bold] Rampant, ruthless, cannibalistic Capitalism is the failure. That is what has to change!!! The understanding that "the markets" are composed of people -> people are greedy and can't be fully trusted and left to their own devices.

There have always been opposing forces in America and not only has it not weakened America, it made it the great country that it is. America is far from being doomed even though it has many problems to deal with and solve.

by Anonymousreply 3109/21/2011

You can make fun of Fort Mac all you want, but everybody there is making six figure salaries - even the grunts who barely got through high school.

by Anonymousreply 3209/21/2011

The only thing that could save America is for the corporate world to believe that they can make more profit with hope and peace than with fear and war.

by Anonymousreply 3309/21/2011

Most Americans aren’t serious people. We are surrounded by 50 year-old adolescents, 20 year-old idiots, and everything else in between.

We are not a nation of engineers and scientists. We are a nation of people who go to college to party and drink ourselves into oblivion and hopefully get laid by someone as equally drunk.

We’re a fucking joke.

As a nation, we are over, Rover.

by Anonymousreply 3409/21/2011

It cannot be saved until/if Religion is shoved into the corners again. It lead to idiocy and hate.

by Anonymousreply 3509/21/2011

[quote]Twenty years ago people were arguing about the popularity of New Kids, Color Me Badd and Sasha Mitchell.

Ha! We were arguing about the popularity of Sasha Mitchell?!

by Anonymousreply 3609/21/2011

r34 you are describing a social problem which btw extends beyond the US. That connects to others who mentioned the "heroes" of our times. There's a "dumbing down" of the human population in the western world in general. The Western world has been raising a generation of spoiled, narcissistic, ignorant, consuming crazed and self-entitled bitches. THAT is a huge problem.

by Anonymousreply 3709/21/2011

I think the problem with the USA is that you come up with amazing ideas - then stop.

As, I think, Bill Bryson said - only the US could come up with the video recorder, but it was the Japanese who came up with the DVD Player.

Yes, Bill Gates invented Windows - then re-invented Windows - then re-adapted Windows.

Ditto Apple...and their many wonders to behold...

The problem seems to be that the US produces entrepreneurs who develop wonderous things - then sit on their asses and milk them to death...

by Anonymousreply 3809/21/2011

Nonsense. A return to traditional values and Jesus will save this country.

by Anonymousreply 3909/21/2011

Reality TV was the end of the USA.

by Anonymousreply 4009/21/2011

[quote}a nation of people who party and drink ourselves into oblivion and hopefully get laid by someone as equally drunk

Hey, we're like that too!

by Anonymousreply 4109/21/2011

Don't leave me out, Comrade R41!

by Anonymousreply 4209/21/2011

You are largely right, OP.

The U.S. has largely become dominated by a military-industrial complex which dictates its foreign policy and economic interests.

The U.S. is basically a dictatorship and fascist society.

by Anonymousreply 4309/21/2011

The USA is a military dictatorship today. The American population is controlled by Reality TV and anyone who brings attention to this is called a traitor.

by Anonymousreply 4409/21/2011

R41 - we are, and we were (believe me, the British Empire were the champion drinkers of the world - except the Russians - always excepting the Russians)

But we don't have an Empire depending on us anymore...

by Anonymousreply 4509/21/2011

former Gov. Jesse Ventura does a good job exposing this in his book, "63 Documents The Government Doesn't Want You To Read".

by Anonymousreply 4609/21/2011

I agree with the posts about reality tv being the death of the west/us/human mind etc.

by Anonymousreply 4709/21/2011

Only Jesus can save America

by Anonymousreply 4809/21/2011

Stupid people always existed. Back in the Roman Empire days Gladiator fights kept them distracted. Reality TV is a variation of mass distraction. There are still enough intelligent people out there to see through all the power elite's schemes.

by Anonymousreply 4909/21/2011

"The problem seems to be that the US produces entrepreneurs who develop wonderous things - then sit on their asses and milk them to death..."

The blame for that lies entirely with Wall Street. The never ending demand for unrealistic profits and shareholder value demands an immediate return on the dollar, i.e. the fast buck, rather than developing any long range strategies or long range product planning with a payoff down the road. On Wall Street, its all about immediate gratification and give it to me now!!

by Anonymousreply 5009/21/2011

Distraction is good, especially when dealing with Evangelical Americans, BUT only if the powers in control use it for doing something good, not just making money.

by Anonymousreply 5109/21/2011

It wouldn't be the first time a nation imploded. I mean, this is just a young, upstart country (in it's present form--First Nations notwithstanding). We refuse to learn from history--from previous empires--fuck, we don't even understand that we ARE an Empire, and if we do we think we are the first and the only. This is deeply ironic given that history will show we were in fact the LAST colonial nation state (to be subsummed by trans-national, border-crossing conglomerates who don't give a shit about the nation state or national sovereignty). We are the last failed imperialist experiment.

Capitalism is working exactly as it should for those who perpetuate it and gain from it. It works in concert with the dumbing down of the US. The education system is such a key mechanism for keeping us all in line - don't think critically (whatever you do) and learn THIS version of history and whatever redundant, meaningless knowledges that will keep you from asking any questions or even knowing who to ask/who is in charge. All it takes is enough of the people to believe the big lie--that capitalism has the potential to serve us all.

The US govt itself is increasingly redundant. It really doesnt exist in any cohesive way with regard to servicing or representing the needs of the populace. I'm amazed that people are still wedded to this idea of 'America'. It doesn't exist except in memory. I personally couldn't give too shits about that because this entire place belongs to First Nations people anyway. To my mind its just the replacement of one corrupt, marauding, rapatious, plundering system (the US nation state) with another (the multi-nationals).

Nothing good will happen unless people return to subsistence and a life in balance with the planet and all things on it.

by Anonymousreply 5209/21/2011

"Bread and circuses", R49

by Anonymousreply 5309/21/2011

Oh fergawdsake. Reality TV is just Andy Warhol's prediction come true about 15 mins of fame. The US will continue in its traditional role of superiority. The Dogs Bark and the Caravan Rolls On.

by Anonymousreply 5409/21/2011

"I personally couldn't give too shits.."?????

by Anonymousreply 5509/21/2011

Go fuck yourself. A typo is a typo. It's the quality of the thought that counts. I contributed something of substance. You attempted to elevate yourself by pointing out a typo and thinking that can dismiss what i said and concurrently make you feel better about yourself. Hey - you forgot the obligatory DL 'Oh dear'.

You are, in fact, entirely representative of what is wrong with this country - you concern yourself with minute bullshit that makes no difference. The powers that be thank you, as do I - for proving my fucking point.

by Anonymousreply 5609/21/2011

America needs to break the Capitalism=America mind f*uck mentality.

by Anonymousreply 5709/21/2011

Truly meaningful campaign finance reform would be required, and that isn't going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 5809/21/2011

OP you need a news fast. Ten days, no media.

A healthy change of perspective will do you a world of good.

by Anonymousreply 6009/21/2011

Regurgitation holohoax bullshit again?

by Anonymousreply 6110/18/2013

I agree with the poster who said it will require heads on pikes.

Starting with Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes.

The Koch Brothers next.

Hey presto! Things are looking up already.

by Anonymousreply 6210/18/2013

Collapse is the destiny of all empires.

by Anonymousreply 6310/18/2013

The Baby Boomers aren't entirely to blame - just mostly to blame. One of the most selfish and destructive generations in history.

by Anonymousreply 6410/18/2013

The problem is not capitalism per se but free markets and lack of intelligent regulation of capitalism.

by Anonymousreply 6510/20/2013

Black People Are Destroying America

by Anonymousreply 6610/20/2013

Make it illegal to lobbing illegal and implement campaign finance reform.

by Anonymousreply 6710/20/2013

But can we depend on those stuck on latte and iPads and click and delete whenever frustrated to save us?

by Anonymousreply 6810/20/2013

Lack of political participation is what's killing America. The rich couldn't get away with 1% of the shit they do get away with if people took their civic responsibilities seriously.

by Anonymousreply 6910/20/2013

The U.S. was always rotten to the core. It's just that there were countervailing cores that kept each other in check. Not so today.

by Anonymousreply 7010/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!