Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bad Performances in Good Films

I was recently thinking about how horrible Ben Affleck is in "Shakespeare in Love." Towards the end of the film, he even gave up on attempting an English accent!

by Anonymousreply 20905/26/2013

Winona Ryder, "Age of Innocence."

And then of course she got an Oscar nomination for that clueless performance, which seals the deal.

by Anonymousreply 109/20/2011

Shakespeare in Love is one of the worst movies I ever saw!!!!

by Anonymousreply 209/20/2011

Justin Timberlake in The Social Network.

by Anonymousreply 309/20/2011

Shakespeare in Love was a good movie?

by Anonymousreply 509/20/2011

"Shakespeare" has a lot of problems besides Ben's lazy performance.

One of the most overrated movies ever.

by Anonymousreply 609/20/2011

I know this is DL heresy but I love "Shakespeare In Love".

Sofia Coppolla in "The Godfather: Part III"

by Anonymousreply 709/20/2011

Daryl Hannah won the Razzie for her role in Wall Street. Michael Douglas won the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 809/20/2011

Meryl Streep in The Hours.

by Anonymousreply 909/20/2011

John Leguizamo and Jared Leto always suck. Have they ever been cast in "good" movies?

by Anonymousreply 1009/20/2011

Blake Lively in "The Town."

by Anonymousreply 1109/20/2011

R10, Jared Leto was in "Fight Club."

by Anonymousreply 1209/20/2011

Mickey Rooney in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S

by Anonymousreply 1309/20/2011

The Godfather Part 3 was terrible a movie.

by Anonymousreply 1409/20/2011

R7, you frighten me.

What do you consider to be a "bad film"?

by Anonymousreply 1509/20/2011

I agree with R8, Daryl Hannah was a gigantic black hole in the middle of Wall Street. But Sean Young was every bit as bad in her own limited way.

by Anonymousreply 1609/20/2011

OP, you do know that movies are generally filmed out if sequence, right?

by Anonymousreply 1709/20/2011

Leo Dicaprio in Titanic. What was Jimmy Cameron smoking?

by Anonymousreply 1809/20/2011

Glenn Close in Glen or Glenda

by Anonymousreply 1909/20/2011

R18, I remember that Siskel & Ebert were upset that Leo didn't get a nomination for TITANIC.

Apparently, so was Leo since he didn't even bother to attend the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 2009/20/2011

Heather Graham in anything except "Boogie Nights" (and that was in retrospect only good (her) 'cause of the director.) Especially, Heather Graham in the second "Austin Powers."

by Anonymousreply 2109/20/2011

It's going to be difficult to top R13.

by Anonymousreply 2209/20/2011

Blake Lively got some very good reviews for The Town. I did not see it so just reporting the news here.

Leo wasn't as bad as Kate in Titanic. I thought she was awful and in now way deserved an Oscar nom. I also thought the whole film Titanic was pretty bad. It was a travesty that it beat the brilliant LA Confidential for Best Picture.

I agree Shakespeare in Love was not a very good movie. Very lightweight. I did love its ending though even though Gwyneth the Witch didn't drown. Fucking great. And again another travesty that it beat Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture which was a great movie with a silly ending - the flag waving not the cemetary scene.

How about Ann Blythe in Mildred Pierce - overacting 101.

by Anonymousreply 2309/20/2011

Keira Knightley in Pirates of the Caribbean.

by Anonymousreply 2409/20/2011

Have to agree with R13 and R22.

I was just coming here to post that but you beat me to it.

How can anything top this in the shit acting department? :

by Anonymousreply 2509/20/2011

Agree,r7. I think Shakespeare in Love is one of the best films of the 90s, SO much better than Spielberg's overwraught, rah-rah Saving Private Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 2709/20/2011

R3, can you explain what you think was so awful about Justin Timberlake in THE SOCIAL NETWORK? I don't think that performance has a place among the other truly terrible ones cited here.

Completely agree that Mickey Rooney's perf. in BREAKFAST IN TIFFANY'S was one of the worst in screen history, if not THE worst.

by Anonymousreply 2809/20/2011

Ben wasn't so bad in Shakespeare in Love, but Joseph Fiennes wasn't very good. Of course, with those eyes...

Agree about Sofia Coppola in Godfather III--Leonard Maltin said her performance was an almost fatal flaw.

by Anonymousreply 2909/20/2011

bit of a stretch but....

January Jones in X-Men: First Class

by Anonymousreply 3009/20/2011

One of my favourite, light, funny films is "Four Weddings and a Funeral". I cant watch it anymore because of Andie McDowell. So bad. I love "Good Will Hunting" but, again, cant watch it due to Minnie Driver's really bad acting. She is the worst cryer on film.

by Anonymousreply 3109/21/2011

Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryders in "Bram Stoker's Dracula."

by Anonymousreply 3209/21/2011

[quote]Towards the end of the film, he even gave up on attempting an English accent!

His character died well before the end of the film.

by Anonymousreply 3309/21/2011

What r11!? Blake Lively was surprisingly wonderful in The Town. I was shocked but she was great!

Anne Hathaway in Brokeback Mountain gives a lousy performance, and her wig in Brokeback Mountain gives an even shittier one. This movie was and is so overrated, it has drawn me back to the subtle magic of Shakespeare in Love!

Nicholas Cage almost ruins the sublime Peggy Sue Got Married.

Jennifer Jason Leigh is unbelievably rotten (she's usually great!) in Dolores Claiborne that it actually does ruin the movie for me.

by Anonymousreply 3409/21/2011

OMG, R34, I couldn't stand Nicolas Cage in PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED. I don't know why his uncle allowed him to use that annoying nasal voice. I found it hard to believe that he was a popular kid. He seemed more like a dweeb.

R31, I haven't seen GOOD WILL HUNTING, but did Minnie Driver really suck in that, or are you letting your negative opinion influence your judgment? I recall she got an Oscar nomination.

I watched FOUR WEDDING AND A FUNERAL for the first time back in March -- awful, awful, movie! I remember it was a big hit back in the day and it got a Best Picture nomination -- HOW?! I can't even begin to explain how much I loathed that movie!!!

by Anonymousreply 3509/21/2011

It's funny, R34, Dolores Claiborne is the only movie I can stand Jennifer Jason Leigh in.

by Anonymousreply 3609/21/2011

Then check her out in "Georgia" r34. It's a wonderful movie about two sisters played by Leigh, and Mare Winningham, they are both sensational.

by Anonymousreply 3709/21/2011

Cate Blanchett in Hanna.

by Anonymousreply 3809/21/2011

I have seen Georgia, and disagree, at least about her. Mannered and disconnected for me, but to each his own. I love Mare Winningham though.

by Anonymousreply 3909/21/2011

Andie MacDowell in Groundhog Day.

Minnie Driver in Grosse Point Blank.

Hell, either of them in ANYTHING. They make even a bad movie worse.

by Anonymousreply 4009/21/2011

Robert Pattinson in Water for Elephants. That movie could have been more than a fluff piece if they had casted someone else.

Personally, I really love Shakespeare in Love, with the exception of Gwyneth, but it is overrated to a degree. It really shouldn't have cleaned up as many awards as it did.

And Timberlake wasn't so much bad in The Social Network, but he was incredibly distracting. He's still far too famous as musician to act in anything where he can't be a version of himself. He didn't do a bad job, but I was immediately no longer in the moment of the film when he showed up.

by Anonymousreply 4109/21/2011

Please! Nicolas Cage also ruined Moonstruck:

I LOST MY HAND!

Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 4209/21/2011

Meryl Streep is terrific in Hours as is Kate Blanchet in Hanna. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 4309/21/2011

Nick Cage talking through his nose in "Peggy Sue Got Married". He ruined what would have been an otherwise decent film.

Btw, I always thought Kathleen Turner was stunning in this film. The part where she encounters her young mother always makes me tear up.

by Anonymousreply 4409/21/2011

I usually like her but Christina Ricci is awful in MONSTER.

Add me to the 'boy does she suck' club regarding Hathaway in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.

Also thought DiCaprio was terrible in TITANIC. Didn't like the film but he was especially awful. His character felt like it came straight out of 1997.

by Anonymousreply 4509/21/2011

Perfect description for Leo in Titanic - out of 1997. They would show a touching scene such as the old couple waiting to drown holding hands, and then would shfit to Leo running down the ship and shouting quips that could have come straight from a Die Hard movie. I didn't think his acting was horrible as much as the part was written badly and he was very two-dimensional. I thought Winslet did an OK job.

by Anonymousreply 4609/21/2011

I thought Blake Lively was AWFUL in The Town. I don't know what the critics were seeing, but her performance was the same Blake Lively performance she gives every week on Gossip Girl, although instead of Chanel and Prada, she was covered in smeared mascara and fake nails. Same mumbly, vacant performance every time, now with a badly fake Boston accent. The whole movie I kept think that Affleck hired her just so he could bang her.

My problem with Justin in The Social Network was that he played Sean Parker as a flaming queen and I'm positive that's not what the script intended. Just watch the scene where Justin meets Mark Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverin in that NYC restaurant. He swans into the scene hips switching, so utterly flamboyant for a character that is supposed to be a suave ladies man. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4709/21/2011

Laura Linney in Mystic River

by Anonymousreply 4809/21/2011

Kirsten Dunst in Spiderman. That ending monologue was painful to sit through.

by Anonymousreply 4909/21/2011

[quote]Laura Linney in Mystic River

I forgot about that one. I was kind of embarrassed for her.

by Anonymousreply 5009/21/2011

Not that it was a great movie, but I thought Julianne Moore was awful in The Kids Are All Right.

by Anonymousreply 5109/21/2011

Shelob in "The Return of the King."

by Anonymousreply 5209/21/2011

"And Timberlake wasn't so much bad in The Social Network, but he was incredibly distracting. He's still far too famous as musician to act in anything where he can't be a version of himself. He didn't do a bad job, but I was immediately no longer in the moment of the film when he showed up."

I sort of understand what you mean, but if that's how you feel, are you distracted whenever any famous person plays a role in a movie?

As for Nicolas Cage in MOONSTRUCK, I don't understand why anyone thinks he's bad in that. To me, all of his over-dramatization and mannerisms are absolutely perfect for the part.

by Anonymousreply 5309/21/2011

Nocholas Cage in anything; but particularly in "Peggy Sue Got Married."

by Anonymousreply 5409/21/2011

Dick van Dyke in "Mary Poppins."

by Anonymousreply 5509/21/2011

R83 I'm only distracted if someone's more famous for being famous than being famous for acting.

Kate Winslet is famous, but she's not just Kate Winslet when I watch one of her movies. Angelina Jolie is always just Angelina Jolie, no matter who she's playing.

by Anonymousreply 5609/21/2011

[quote]Angelina Jolie is always just Angelina Jolie, no matter who she's playing.

I feel the same way about Brad Pitt nowadays. I wonder why that is, that with some famous actors I cannot separate their public persona from the character they play.

by Anonymousreply 5709/21/2011

I don't know who the actress was, but I thought Terms Of Endearment was near to perfection, but Debra Winger had a best friend who had quite a significant role and she was so, SO terribly bad she almost killed every scene she was in.

by Anonymousreply 5809/21/2011

I'll agree with Cate Blanchett in Hanna because of the final scene where they show close-ups of her wonderful high heels. Then they have this huge chase scene where she's supposedly running in those pumps.

If she was a real actress she would have shown the pain in her face as she tripped and fell on the amusement park tracks. But no - she runs and runs and climbs and jumps in those fucking pumps.

Travesty!

by Anonymousreply 5909/21/2011

[quote]I feel the same way about Brad Pitt nowadays. I wonder why that is, that with some famous actors I cannot separate their public persona from the character they play.

Because Angelina and Brad are famewhores and tabloid staples. They share every single minute detail of their life so that there is no mystery. They are just Brad and Angelina. A Brand. Completely overexposed. Good actors don't need to sell their personal lives and manage keep up an air of mystique so that when you see them in a movie you can see their character, and not them.

It also doesn't help that Jolie and Pitt are shitty actors with no range so they end up just playing themselves anyway.

Brad in particular is a repeat offender in this thread. He gets sent good scripts because he's A list but he's usually the weakest link. He was a total ham in Inglorious Basterds. A better actor could have done much more with the role.

by Anonymousreply 6009/21/2011

Mickey Rooney still owns this thread. It's like he was channeling Jerry Lewis in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANYS. I can't imagine what Blake Edwards was thinking.

by Anonymousreply 6109/21/2011

[quote] He was a total ham in Inglorious Basterds.

Good one.

by Anonymousreply 6209/21/2011

Gwyneth Paltrow (a very fine actress, when she isn't playing Englishwomen) in Shakespeare in Love

Gwyneth Paltrow in Emma (see above, hard to imagine the movie without her but since everyone else in it is absolutely charming it would appear to otherwise be a good movie)

Brad Pitt in Inglorious Basterds (his strange, winking performance is totally out of step with the world class acting from the rest of the cast)

Helena Bonham Carter in Sweeney Todd (not bad, really, but blaringly inadequate, and it pulls the movie - which is otherwise quite fine - down!)

Cher in Moonstruck (I'm in the minority here I know, but I think this is the least convincing performance she's ever given - although the "snap out of it" scene was fun - but a very good movie!)

Diane Keaton in Crimes of the Heart (one of the great lady's very worst performances, in an otherwise charming movie made even better by Sissy Spacek's excellent performance)

by Anonymousreply 6309/21/2011

Brad Pitt in any "serious" project he has done. Things like "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and "Babel" spring to mind right away.

by Anonymousreply 6409/21/2011

I disagree about Pitt. He doesn't give BAD performances, he's simply always out shined by more talented costars. I haven't seen all of his films, but that's always been the case for me in what I have seen.

by Anonymousreply 6509/21/2011

I like Pitt. I think he's a good actor.

But he sucked in Inglorious Basterds.

by Anonymousreply 6609/21/2011

[quote]Jared Leto in PANIC ROOM.

Come on now, he wasn't the only one who ruined that film!

by Anonymousreply 6709/21/2011

"Andie MacDowell in Groundhog Day."

You win!

by Anonymousreply 6809/21/2011

M. Caine in Hannah. HORRENDOUS!

by Anonymousreply 6909/21/2011

I agree about MIckey Rooney in " Breakfast at Tiffany's," Nick Cage in "Peggy Sue Got Married," and Winona Rider in most things.

Cher, of course, was brilliant and gave one of those lit-from-within performances in "Moonstruck" that doesn't make sense except when you're watching it. Maybe R63 doesn't see how what she does and how she does it fits perfectly into the genre's requirements.

But, in honor of R63's courage, I'll offer Paul Giamatti, who ruined "Sideways" for me. What a horrid, twitching, egotistical ass.

I also wanted to kill Geraldine Page in "Toys in the Attic," where her tics and antics were so out of control I'm surprised Wendy Hiller didn't push her down the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 7009/21/2011

Meryl Streep in Doubt.

Meryl Streep in The Manchurian Candidate, except that was a bad movie even beyond her awful performance.

by Anonymousreply 7109/21/2011

Marion Cotillard in "Midnight in Paris"

Frida Pinto in "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"

by Anonymousreply 7209/21/2011

[quote]Meryl Streep in Doubt.

Yes, but Doubt wasn't such a good film, IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 7309/21/2011

I thought Marion Cotillard was excellent in "Midnight in Paris."

by Anonymousreply 7409/21/2011

R72 Nice try, Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 7509/21/2011

And Marion was probably the best thing about Midnight in Paris, but she's usually the best part of whatever she's in.

by Anonymousreply 7609/21/2011

If one has to single out an actor for giving a bad performance in Midnight in Paris, it would probably be Rachel McAdams, though it's admittedly a crap role that requires her to only play one emotion (constantly pissed off).

It's fascinating to me that James Cameron is an action director, yet his leading characters are almost always women and he gets better performances out of his actresses than he does out of his actors: Linda Hamilton in The Terminator films, Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies, Kate Winslet in Titanic, Zoe Saldana in Avatar, they all act circles around the men. (The one exception is The Abyss, where both Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Ed Harris are fantastic.)

by Anonymousreply 7709/21/2011

Oh, that's right! I almost forgot that Marion Cotillard is one of the few actors who have dedicated trolls to play defense 24/7. She was great in La Vie en Rose, but I've found her to be pretty laughable in "Midnight in Paris." As a matter of fact, add her and Ken Watanabe to this list for their performances in "Inception."

R77, I almost included Rachel McAdams in my original post, but she wasn't necessarily bad. She just didn't have much to work with and therefore came across as one-dimensionally shrill. Michael Sheen had a rare miss as well.

by Anonymousreply 7809/21/2011

Scarlett Johannson in Lost in Translation.

by Anonymousreply 7909/21/2011

Actually, Scarlett was perfectly adequate in Lost In Translation. She played a vapid, clueless American woman which, I guess, was not a huge stretch for her.

by Anonymousreply 8009/22/2011

Wiley Wiggins in Dazed and Confused. Most awkward actor of all time.

by Anonymousreply 8111/12/2011

R81 i'm squirming as I type. Jesus what a disaster of a performance.

I would agree with Jolie but I can't think of a good film she's been in since GIA or Girl, interrupted.

by Anonymousreply 8211/12/2011

Scarlet was bad in Match Point, an otherwise fine film.

by Anonymousreply 8311/12/2011

I'll probably be crucified but Jessica Lange in "Tootsie." I cannot believe she won an Oscar for that role when she's completely outperformed by every other actor in the film.

by Anonymousreply 8411/12/2011

[quote]Meryl Streep is terrific in The Hours

I agree, she was good. Ed Harris was terrible in The Hours.

by Anonymousreply 8511/12/2011

Sarjo in Lost in Translation.just awful , truly awful

by Anonymousreply 8611/12/2011

Lindsay Lohan in A Prairie Home Companion

Katie Holmes in Batman Begins

by Anonymousreply 8711/12/2011

So should the annual award for "Worst Performance in a Good Movie" be called "The Andie MacDowell Award"? And, if so, who are the nominees so far for the 2011 Andie Award?

by Anonymousreply 8811/12/2011

[quote]I'll probably be crucified but Jessica Lange in "Tootsie."

Her Supporting Actress Oscar was a consolation prize for not getting the Best Actress for "Frances", since that was the same year as Meryl in "Sophie's Choice" of all years.

by Anonymousreply 8911/12/2011

Stephen Baldwin in "The Usual Suspects"

by Anonymousreply 9011/12/2011

Pitt in Inglourious Basterds has to be at the top.

I remember sitting there amazed by the performance Christoph Waltz gave in the farmhouse, and then here comes Pitt doing that cornpone accent and the movie just fell apart.

by Anonymousreply 9111/12/2011

Stop picking on Cotillard - she works very hard and more than compensates for that prosthetic foot.

by Anonymousreply 9211/12/2011

Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp and Keanu Reeves in pretty much every movie they're in.

by Anonymousreply 9311/12/2011

Is she that lady whose car went off a cliff and she had to eat her own foot to stay alive?

by Anonymousreply 9411/12/2011

Here's one from an old movie - Farley Granger on Strangers on a Train. It's a fantastic movie, but imagine how much better it would have been with a real actor in the lead.

I don't get the Marion Cotillard (Midnight in Paris) hate here.

However, Nicholas Cage can't be mentioned enough on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 9511/12/2011

Jack Nicholson in "The Shining" (1980); he telegraphs his eventual madness from his first frame of film he's in.

Laurence Olivier in Rebecca (1940); He was pissed off that his mistress, Vivien Leigh, was not cast as the nameless heroine to costar. He reputedly took his anger out on costar Joan Fontaine, helping her performance and helping her win an Oscar nomination for Best Actress.

by Anonymousreply 9611/12/2011

Rachel McAdams really s u c k e d in the movie: Midnight in Paris. It's as if she hadn't even read the script but an hour before shooting. I can't believe she got paid for her acting. It isn't acting when you mumble over the words and place them on the dinner table like the after dinner mints. Forget that...after dinner mints have more flavor than Rachel had in her acting abilities. I don't know what the huff is with this actress. Sure, she's pretty, but talentless!

by Anonymousreply 9704/09/2012

Keanu Reeves in "Dangerous Liaisons." Horribly miscast in an otherwise decent film.

Wallace Shawn in "The Princess Bride." That performance just grated on me and I was so glad when his part was over.

I, too, liked "Shakespeare in Love," but as an entertaining piece of fluff. I agree that it was overrated and didn't deserve its awards but it's a decent romance, aside from the really bad performance from Ben.

Another thumbs down for Andie MacDowell in everything she's ever done but specifically for "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Groundhog Day."

by Anonymousreply 9804/09/2012

"Jack Nicholson in "The Shining" (1980); he telegraphs his eventual madness from his first frame of film he's in"

He was already nuts when he met the wife. It's revealed that he broke the kid's arm a while before. The wife looks afraid of him from the getgo. They seem like a towering mismatch; I bet they got married because she was pregnant.

To be fair, with Kubrick's obsessive style of directing, it's a wonder they got through the movie at all. But I think all involved turn in competent performances.

by Anonymousreply 9904/10/2012

[quote]Laurence Olivier in Rebecca (1940); He was pissed off that his mistress, Vivien Leigh, was not cast as the nameless heroine to costar. He reputedly took his anger out on costar Joan Fontaine, helping her performance and helping her win an Oscar nomination for Best Actress.

This is about performances, not offscreen behavior.

by Anonymousreply 10004/10/2012

He's saying that as a result of his anger his PERFORMANCE was subpar

Looks like you are the one with the comprehension issues, in addition to unnecessary snarkiness .

by Anonymousreply 10104/10/2012

I thought Terms Of Endearment was a wonderful film chock full of great performances...but the girl who played Emma's best friend, the one who lived in New York, was horrendous and practically dragged down the whole film, even with her minor part. I haven't seen her in anything since.

by Anonymousreply 10204/10/2012

[quote]M. Caine in Hannah. HORRENDOUS!

Wow! I sooo agree...usually I'm the only one who sees what a crappy actor he is.

Actually, Michael Caine in practically everything....Zee & Co, especially.

by Anonymousreply 10304/10/2012

[quote]Another thumbs down for Andie MacDowell in everything she's ever done but specifically for "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Groundhog Day."

She was fine in Sex, Lies... & v.pretty.

by Anonymousreply 10404/10/2012

Anything with Chevy Chase

by Anonymousreply 10504/10/2012

Keanu Reeves in "Dangerous Liaisions" owns this thread. Everyone else in the film was outstanding, and he was the same old Keanu. Same for the sparkling 90s version of "Much Ado About Nothing".

As for "Shakespeare in Love", it's a lovely film, a witty comedy of manners. But it could have been much, much, more - if the leading actors had been able to bring any passion to the central love affair. Because they didn't, it's difficult to care much about the characters, or the film.

by Anonymousreply 10604/11/2012

I thought former model Andie MacDowell was surprisingly good in "Sex Lies Videotape" and "Thing Of Beauty". But she made a couple bad choices and kinda lost momentum.

by Anonymousreply 10704/11/2012

Andie macdowell- four weddings and a funeral

Emma stone-the help

kristen stewart- every film she's starred in.

by Anonymousreply 10804/12/2012

People like OP drive me nuts with their stupidity. Films are not shot in order, so things like losing an accent cannot happen "towards the end" as if they filmed the whole thing in sequence and he started to get lazy or tired. The first shot in GWTW was filmed after the rest was in the can.

by Anonymousreply 10904/12/2012

Poor Emma Watson had a supporting role in "My Week With Marilyn". She should have known better than to join a film full of Oscar-level performances, she can barely hold her own when surrounded by other untrained kids.

by Anonymousreply 11004/12/2012

Diana Scarwind as Christina in Mommie Dearest. Talk about wooden

by Anonymousreply 11104/12/2012

I liked Andie McDowell in Michael.

by Anonymousreply 11204/12/2012

Blake Lively in "The Town" wins this thread. No clue how she got that lead part in the new Oliver Stone film. After Jennifer Lawrence dropped out - talk about downgrade.

by Anonymousreply 11304/12/2012

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio in THE ABYSS and THE PERFECT STORM....perfectly harmless films that were done in by her "acting."

by Anonymousreply 11404/12/2012

His performance was still quite hammy r100.

Will Smith in Ali. Decent bio about his life but Smith was really terrible.

by Anonymousreply 11504/12/2012

Brad Pitt in 'Seven' - Easily outclassed by Freeman and Paltrow, but it was the scenes with Spacey that showed just what a light-weight he is. Almost similar to Nicholson blowing Cruise out of the water in 'A Few Good Men'.

by Anonymousreply 11604/13/2012

[quote]kristen stewart- every film she's starred in.

Kristen Stewart's only made one good film. Into the Wild. And she was completely forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 11704/13/2012

[quote]Meryl Streep is terrific in Hours

I have to disagree. I normally love Meryl, but I found her very irritating in The Hours. She was constantly twitching and drawing attention to herself with her "craft."

After a while, I wanted to shake her by the shoulders and say, "Stop REACTING and just sit still for a second while the other actor says their line!"

by Anonymousreply 11804/13/2012

Darryl Hannah again for the win in _Steel Magnolias_.

by Anonymousreply 11904/13/2012

Albert Finney in Murder on the Orient Express - he totally ruined with his hammy overacting what should have been a classic.

by Anonymousreply 12004/13/2012

R117 I was being sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 12104/13/2012

Anything with Andy McDowell.

Almost anything with Mark Wahlberg

and that other douche Channing Tatum.

Recently, I gotta say that Marion Cotillard was terrible in Batman 3, dark night rises. What I don't understand is how actors and directors can agree that something is "good". That's why i think Leonardo Dicaprio is at or near the top. After performing a scene. He will go behind the camera and replay the scene to see it from the audiences perspective and he'll do his best to objectively evaluate himself on the spot. If he thinkgs it's weak, or overacted, or off in some way he'll request to do it again to do it better. Even the late Paul Newman said it would take him forever to finally get a scene right after numerous takes b/c it was hard to get the right feel for each moment to make it feel as authentic as possible....that's the truth about acting folks.

by Anonymousreply 12207/22/2012

Jessica Lange won for Tootsie as a consolation prize because she didn't win best actress for Frances that year, which she was amazing in. She lost to Meryl Streep for Sophie's Choice.

by Anonymousreply 12307/22/2012

R122, you mean that Andie McDowell, Mark Wahlberg and Channing Tatum have always been in good films? They will be delighted to hear that.

by Anonymousreply 12407/22/2012

Will Smith in "Six Degrees of Separation"

Shirley MacLaine in "Terms of Endearment"

Marlene Dietrich and Charles Laughton in "Witness for the Prosecution"

Rosalind Russell in "Picnic"

Bette Davis in "Death on the Nile"

Shelley Winters in "A Place in the Sun"

by Anonymousreply 12507/22/2012

Will Smith as Muhammad Ali. I thought he was godawful. His performance was more like an impersonation of Ali than the real thing. His body looked good though, and I liked certain aspects of the film, but he was so wrong for the part. He kind of redeemed himself in 'The Pursuit of Happyness', but he is still far from my favorite actor.

(Dis)honorable mention to his performance in 'Six Degrees of Separation'.

by Anonymousreply 12607/22/2012

I do think Titanic is a good movie, but the star of the show is the ship.

Winslet carries the load for the rest of the cast and her director. Oscar-winner Bates never captures the confidence of Molly Brown, and Zane and Dicaprio look like they'd rather kiss each other over Winslet. Cameron's dialogue is ridiculous, but because he's also the director nobody had the balls to ask him to change the lines to something more believable.

File this one under "a good movie that could have been a great movie, if only..."

by Anonymousreply 12707/22/2012

Scarlett Jo in "The Prestige." It's such a great movie, and Bale and Jackman are fantastic; then along come ScarJo with her dead-eyed stare and her raspy line readings. Good god.

by Anonymousreply 12807/22/2012

Can you imagine how bad these performances were BEFORE the editing process? I mean, we end up seeing "the best" bits, so how bad is the rest?

by Anonymousreply 12907/22/2012

Kathleen Turner talks about Cage in her book and she knew he was awful but because he was the director's nephew she knew he wasn't going anywhere.

My pick id for Don Cheadle in "Boogie Nights". It's one of my favorite pictures but his performance makes me cringe.

by Anonymousreply 13007/22/2012

[quote]I have to disagree. I normally love Meryl, but I found her very irritating in The Hours. She was constantly twitching and drawing attention to herself with her "craft."

Did you read the book? That is the character who does that. She "busies" herself, like Mrs. Dalloway to not think about her life. That's why she drives her daughter nuts.

by Anonymousreply 13107/22/2012

Almost all the movies you people have named are total garbage.

by Anonymousreply 13207/22/2012

Glad I'm not the only one who though Cotillard blew it in DKR. Her death scene was laughably bad.

by Anonymousreply 13307/22/2012

Kate Beckinsale in total recall, awful, bad acting!

by Anonymousreply 13408/21/2012

[quote]People like OP drive me nuts with their stupidity.

Mary, calm down!

Somebody slap the shit out of her!

by Anonymousreply 13508/21/2012

R131, you could actually see her using sensory objects; it was a horrid performance not even up to the standards of a first semester Method class.

by Anonymousreply 13608/21/2012

Alec Guinness in "A Passage to India." Apparently he didn't want to play the part of the Hindu Professor Godbole either, but somehow David Lean roped him into doing it. In a film with sublime performances (Peggy Ashcroft, Judy Davis, Victor Banerjee), his is an embarrassment.

Oskar Werner in "Fahrenheit 451." Truffaut's film is visually memorable and has two great performances from Julie Christie in a dual role. But Werner's English is so poor he's nearly unintelligible--why he was cast is a complete mystery, given that he's required to read English prose so much in the film.

Another vote for Laurence Olivier in "Rebecca." Too pinched, too angry: it's impossible to imagine either that he loves Joan Fontaine or that she would be in love with his character given how cold he is too her. He overdid the character's temper.

by Anonymousreply 13708/21/2012

[quote]Almost all the movies you people have named are total garbage.

Rebecca? Tootsie? The Age of Innocence? A Place in the Sun? The Usual Suspects? Breakfast at Tiffany's? Strangers on a Train? The Social Network?

Wow, what wondrously crappy taste you must have to think those films are "total garbage."

by Anonymousreply 13808/21/2012

I thought Smith was very good as Ali. That's how he was.

by Anonymousreply 13908/21/2012

Lol, you seriously think The Social Network and The Age of Innocence are good movies? You must have been given a lobotomy.

by Anonymousreply 14008/21/2012

cotillard is shit in inception and the dark knight rises, she's trying very hard and her english sounds silly. i don't think an accent is a barrier to good english language work, vincent cassel anyone? but cotillard seems so unsure of herself, its distracting. she's sublime however in rust + bone.

by Anonymousreply 14105/22/2013

Leslie Howard in "Gone With The Wind"

The little boy (2nd lead) in Gena Rowland's version of "Gloria"

Liza Minnelli in "Arthur"

Barbra Streisand and her manicure in "Prince of Tides"

Andrew McCarthy in "Less Than Zero"

Kevin Costner in "Field of Dreams"

Kevin Costner in "Dances With Wolves"

Kevin Costner in "The Bodyguard"

Kevin Costner in "The Big Chill"

by Anonymousreply 14205/22/2013

142 here. I thought of 2 more:

Natalie Wood in "West Side Story"

Rosalind Russell in "Gypsy"

by Anonymousreply 14305/22/2013

"Jackie Brown" - The always horrible Michael Keaton in the role of Ray Nicolette.

by Anonymousreply 14405/22/2013

[quote]Kevin Costner in "The Big Chill"

I thought it was by far his best performance.

by Anonymousreply 14505/22/2013

Ben Kingsley in Maurice

by Anonymousreply 14605/22/2013

[quote]Blake Lively in "The Town" wins this thread. No clue how she got that lead part in the new Oliver Stone film.

She got it exactly the same way she got "The Town" and probably every other role she's ever had.

by Anonymousreply 14705/22/2013

Jeremy Irons in House of the Spirits. Dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 14805/22/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 14905/23/2013

Scarlett Johansson in Avengers.

George Clooney in Confessions of a dangerous mind.

Tom Cruise in Magnolia and Collateral.

Certain actors never ever give good performances. Pitt, Cruise, DiCaprio, Clooney, Affleck, Will Smith

by Anonymousreply 15005/23/2013

Brad Pitt was in a number of good movies where he was by far the weakest link.

by Anonymousreply 15105/23/2013

Ben Affleck in Shakespeare in Love was the icing on the cake of that shitfest. He needs to give up acting altogether, I was shocked he got a BAFTA nomination for Best Actor in Argo.

by Anonymousreply 15205/23/2013

Keira Knightley in "Atonement".

by Anonymousreply 15305/23/2013

Audrey Hepburn is annoying as Eliza before she is transformed in MY FAIR LADY and Dick Van Dyke's dismal attempt at a Cockney accent damned near defeats his otherwise polished performance in MARY POPPINS.

by Anonymousreply 15405/23/2013

For those who hated that dreadful "You're my touchstone" actress in "Terms of Endearment" (R58, R102 I think)... Shirl MacLaine talks in her book about how they wanted a young Kim Basinger for that part. Which would've been great if you think about it, she and Debra as hot friends, even the southern accent since set in Houston.

They all got on conference call to talk Basinger into it and out of a bad Burt Reynolds movie (he had ironically turned down the Nicholson part) and she started crying that they were ganging up on her, ha. So as Shirley puts it rather diplomatically "an unknown got the part." A boring no-fun no-resources unknown.

by Anonymousreply 15505/23/2013

I read through the whole thread just to see how many idiots would chime in with idiotic pronouncements. Unfortunately it is full of them. It's not just that these people have different opinions that are a matter of personal preference - they are more like ideological resentments. You can recognize the same disease in each one. The list of trash is below.

r3, r18, r31, r41 (sorta), r45, r47, r56, r71, r93, r108, r110, r116, r117, r127, r132, r140, r150

by Anonymousreply 15605/23/2013

Agree with Blake Lively in The Town - a bad impersonation of Amy Ryan in Gone Baby Gone - and especially JT in The Social Network, the one thing that stopped it being a classic. Fincher's busy editing and putting him in loud club scenes couldn't even distract from him.

by Anonymousreply 15705/23/2013

The young Liz Taylor is hard to watch as the insipid ingenue in the otherwise excellent LIFE WITH FATHER.

by Anonymousreply 15805/23/2013

OK, r157, you get added to r156's list because of the stupidity of the Timberlake thing.

by Anonymousreply 15905/23/2013

It was r156's list that I got it from. ;)

by Anonymousreply 16005/23/2013

Nathan Lane and Hank Azaria in The Birdcage.

by Anonymousreply 16105/23/2013

The majority of the amateur cast members of the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD were either stiff and wooden or else hammy and over-the-top. The lead male actor turns in the only really good performance. Yet even the bad acting is part of the Gothic charm of this low-budget piece of "guerilla filmmaking" which is far more entertaining and memorable than many a big-budget movie.

by Anonymousreply 16205/23/2013

I saw "Titanic" with about 50 male students. When the scene with the elderly couple on a bed came on, there was laughter from the audience.

Also thought Leo DiCaprio was miscast. He seemed out of his league. And at the end, those waters are so cold he should have gone under sooner.

Btw, I met someone who played an extra in the movie and he described how he had to hold on to a styrofoam "iceberg" for some scenes.

by Anonymousreply 16305/23/2013

Tony Curtis in "The Outsider". Bad makeup and excessive eyelash-batting, accent, etc!

The actor who played the Indian, in "The Big Sky" rivals Mickey Rooney's performance in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" for the worst.

Even the grand Dame Judith Anderson was too excessive in "A Man Called Horse".

Loved Kevin Costner in "Dances With Wolves".

I enjoyed Anne Hathaway's performance in "Brokeback Mountain". I grew up in the same environment, so I know all the nuances were right on. The author, Annie Proulx, loved the movie and the acting. Odd, that it scored so big in red states, as well as blue; and overseas.

by Anonymousreply 16405/23/2013

R156

You are the agent of those shitty actors?

by Anonymousreply 16505/23/2013

Brad Pitt rise to fame is solely based on his showmance with Jolie (and before that with Anniston). Hook up with a sexy co-star and invite the paps to take pictures of you and your kids to invite the public gossip mongers and you can become an A-lister demanding 7 figure salaries. Unfortunately that's how it works. Most A-listers have very little talent.

by Anonymousreply 16605/23/2013

The people defending Justin Timberlake in the Social Network are the ones with fucked up taste. It's an incredibly crappy performance in an otherwise serviceable movie. You get absolutely no sense that he's a real person, and especially not a computer/marketing wiz (even one who likes to party). I remember hearing about Oscar buzz for him and knowing right away it was just because he was a singer trying to act. Thank god he went back to singing. I hope we won't have to put up with him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 16705/23/2013

Speaking of which r167 just read this @ link which was linked to on that Cavill Fast and Furious page.

I hate Lainey, but the one time I will read her is when she does a Timberlake story. She absolutely loathes him, as an actor anyway.. she agrees he's good with the music.

by Anonymousreply 16805/23/2013

The only interesting thing in Social Network was Andrew Garfield. The movie was so emotionally empty almost to the point of clinical (like any typical Fincher movie, really). Timberjoke and Eisenberg were completely forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 16905/23/2013

[quote]Brad Pitt rise to fame is solely based on his showmance with Jolie (and before that with Anniston).

You're forgetting Goop!

But I disagree somewhat. Brad Pitt has been A-list since his small role in "Thelma And Louise." He was hot hot hot and an instant sensation. Otherwise the celebrity press wouldn't have cared about his liaisons with Juliette Lewis/Goop/Anniston/Angelina.

by Anonymousreply 17005/23/2013

Goop is a way better actress than Pitt! Watch her in Sky Captain, Tennenbaums, Hard Eight or in the first 2 Iron Mans movies with Downey Jr. Pitt is a pretty boy who calls the papps to get attention, he is actually one of the worst actors around. I also have the suspicion that he is dumb.

by Anonymousreply 17105/23/2013

Oh no, I was referring to Brad Pitt's dating Goop in the pre-Aniston days.

by Anonymousreply 17205/23/2013

Major debate on it being a good film (per the thread) - but I actually think it could've been if that otherwise great director had not cast that just awful little boy (off of a kid "Jeopardy" show) in "Extremely Loud..."

He makes it unwatchable and he is in nearly every frame. All the great naturalistic kid actors out there ala the boy from "Tree of Life" and Daltry picks him? Couldn't the studio step in? A friend?

by Anonymousreply 17305/23/2013

Andie Macdowell in anything, perfectly charmless and sexless.

by Anonymousreply 17405/23/2013

I agree with the person who said "Social Network" is emotionally empty, you don't care about any of the spoiled preppies in it. I thought "Kids are Alright" was a much more involving film, well acted and directly. Also hated (I know I'm off-topic but) "Silver Linings Playbook" dreadful, formulaic feel-good movie, with unlikable characters.

by Anonymousreply 17505/23/2013

Why does this site have to have so many psychotic freaks who just love to declare things that simply aren't so? And the irrational loony resentments are ALWAYS the same - resentments against young (or semi-young male caucasians.

by Anonymousreply 17605/23/2013

Roxanne Carol Hart [sic] is the friend in "Terms" - "You don't know how bad I want to raise that little girl!" - and then the spit take at dinner table. I don't really think she's that bad, she's kinda hoopy. But my friend worked with her and said she was fawning all over him because he won a Tony at a young age.

by Anonymousreply 17705/23/2013

Speaking of singers who can't act - Lyle Lovett in Short Cuts. Great movie, that he stops dead cold with his breahtaking awfulness.

by Anonymousreply 17805/23/2013

and he's the one the winner of this thread (McDowell) rails at!

by Anonymousreply 17905/23/2013

[quote] I actually think it could've been if that otherwise great director had not cast that just awful little boy (off of a kid "Jeopardy" show) in "Extremely Loud..."

That boy MADE the film great. What kind of ditz are you? Not every person is like the brat next door.

by Anonymousreply 18005/23/2013

I like all of these actors; BUT:

Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love, Possession and Emma (she always seems to confuse how to be convincingly British and highborn and or erudite with how to be amateurishly bland and affected)

Brad Pitt in Inglorious Basterds (tries to goof his way through when everyone else on screen - most notably Waltz, Laurent, and Kruger - is at the top of their very disciplined game)

Richard Gere in Chicago (bad because he fails to have any impact in the musical numbers; otherwise he was quite good)

Judy Davis in Husbands and Wives (a brilliant actress overplays the neurotic where less would have been so much more; still many people love her in it)

Diane Keaton in Crimes of the Heart (wtf!)

Helena Bonham Carter in Sweeney Todd (all but ruins what is otherwise a surprisingly solid movie (far better than Les Mis!))

by Anonymousreply 18105/23/2013

Andie MacDowell is the worst r174. But isn't Sex, Lies and Videotape meant to be her one good performance?

Not seen, but do remember clips of her in it. It almost seemed like it was following real life and trying to get some emotion out of this Ikea table.

by Anonymousreply 18205/23/2013

I liked Andie McDowell in Green Card. The stick up her butt suited the part.

by Anonymousreply 18305/23/2013

R170

He was hot because he was marketed as a pretty face and not as a serious actor. He always invited the paps because he does not get hype from his acting. His status in Hollywood is solely based on PR tactics. He choose his GF according to how much they would contribute to the PR machineny. The ones who didn't want to be a gossip rag sensation (like Goop, who likes her privacy) didn't last with him. With Jolie he landed the biggest famewhore in the business. This woman will do anything for publicity!

by Anonymousreply 18405/24/2013

Leslie Brown in The Turning Point

by Anonymousreply 18505/25/2013

[quote]I agree with the person who said "Social Network" is emotionally empty, you don't care about any of the spoiled preppies in it.

I disliked Social Network when I first saw it, mostly because the characters are so unlikeable. After thinking about it, I'm sure I would dislike that greedy bunch even more in real life.

by Anonymousreply 18605/25/2013

Supposedly Helena wanted to play Mrs. Lovett in a more conventionally entertaining way, but Tim insisted on the low-key, humorless performance she ultimately gave. I still don't think she was the worst thing in the film. That would be Sacha Baron Cohen.

by Anonymousreply 18705/25/2013

I didn't think "Shakespeare in Love" or "Titanic" were bad films, I just thought they were stupid.

by Anonymousreply 18805/25/2013

Madonna in Evita. I love the movie. Love Bandares. Love the hot semi nkd guys in the shower which has nothing to do with the rest of the film. Hate Madonna and those dead, black eyes. They wisely cut away from her during 'Don't Cry for me...' because they knew that uncomfortable death stare of hers would kill it.

by Anonymousreply 18905/25/2013

andie macdowell was good in short cuts (sex,lies,and videotape, and also decent in green card like someone just mentioned). other than that? fuck man, she stinks. has anyone mentioned natalie portman, shes been excellent in a few things, just embarassingly bad in others.

by Anonymousreply 19005/25/2013

Most of the cast of TEA WITH MUSSOLINI. I thought Luca was a beautiful young man, but who was that actor? He was horrible with a cultured Eurotrash accent. Cher and Lily Tomlin were wretched as well. But Maggie Smith, Joan Plowright and the always bad Judi Dench were all annoyingly mannered.

by Anonymousreply 19105/25/2013

mia wasikowska. WHO does she fuck? the weird, sullen, homely (probably dykish) little girl is working/worked with a stunning list of auteurs: jarmusch, fukanawa, cronenberg, chan park, gus van sant, todd haynes, to name a few. i dont think she has anything.

by Anonymousreply 19205/25/2013

I think Jessica Biel is bad actress- very vapid.

by Anonymousreply 19305/25/2013

Aiden Gillen in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.

I actually didn't know who he was when I was watching it, but when I got home from seeing the movie in the theater, the first thing I did was look up the actor who gave one of the most phony, histrionic and cringe-worthy performances I've seen in a very, very long time. The worst part? He's only in it for ten minutes.

by Anonymousreply 19405/25/2013

Whoever played the daughter (every single actress at every stage of the character's life) in "Mommie Dearest." I think that actress was the biggest disconnect in an otherwise excellent film.

by Anonymousreply 19505/25/2013

"Most of the cast of TEA WITH MUSSOLINI. I thought Luca was a beautiful young man, but who was that actor? He was horrible with a cultured Eurotrash accent. Cher and Lily Tomlin were wretched as well. But Maggie Smith, Joan Plowright and the always bad Judi Dench were all annoyingly mannered."

TEA WITH MUSSOLINI is a bad movie film. The cute boy (don't know if I'd say he was beautiful, but who cares) playing Luca was perfectly adequate (and what in this context would be so wrong about a Eurotrash accent? - if that indeed correctly characterizes his accent, which I'm not sure it does). Cher was Lily did what they could with embarrassingly bad roles. Maggie Smith, Joan Plowright and the always wonderful Judi Dench rose above the execrable material.

Try again.

by Anonymousreply 19605/25/2013

Andie McDowell in Four Weddings and a Funeral. It's really interesting how her extremely bad performance doesn't damage the film.

by Anonymousreply 19705/25/2013

Peter Sellers in "Lolita" was just wrong, wrong, wrong. What was Kubrick thinking, letting him loose and hamming it up as Quilty? Claire Quilty is not supposed to be comic relief, nor is it the role to showcase Sellers' various "characters". That scene with him and Mason at the hotel was just...odd; I don't really know what Sellers was going for there.

by Anonymousreply 19805/26/2013

200 posts and no one has mentioned the most obvious?

Jar Jar Binks in The Phantom Menace.

Hands down destroyed the movie. Of course it was already damaged with the script: "Mr. Jedi, Sir, what are midichlorians?" But Jar Jar was jaw-droppingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 19905/26/2013

Will Smith in ALI. Good movie, but his performance truly sucked. Of of an impersonation than anything else. Yeah, he looked buff and fit, but I could not believe that he was Muhammad Ali. He simply is not a good dramatic actor.

And a blast from the past:

Millie Perkins in THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK. At 20, the curvy Perkins was way too old and voluptuous to portray the waiflike Jewish diarist. Plus, her acting was majorly stank-ass. Still, it was a poignant film and well made, even if it did play fast and loose with the facts of Anne's life.

by Anonymousreply 20005/26/2013

Geena Davis in Hero

by Anonymousreply 20105/26/2013

Stanley Kubrick's "Lolita" is a travesty. I think Sellers' performance is all of a piece with it.

Diana Scarwid played the older Christina in "Mommie Dearest" and I agree that her performance is abominable. The little girl who plays the younger Christina is excellent, and then the minute Diana shows up with her incongruous Texan twang the film takes a right turn into the grotesque. I think a lot of the crap poor Faye Dunaway has taken over "her" performance is displaced from Diana's. Because Faye's the stronger actress, people unconsciously blame her for Diana's braying and overemoting.

I can't say this enough, people. Faye in "Mommie Dearest" may not be easy to watch and you may find it impossible not to giggle at her performance but speaking from my own childhood under a Mommie Dearest she was tapping something very real. There's something about the clown in many crazy, abusive parents, but clowns can be pretty damn scary. Faye needs to understand before she dies that MD wasn't the career-ending disaster she's been told it is, but the pinnacle, because she told the truth about the assholes who pose as benefactors of children while fucking them over behind closed doors.

by Anonymousreply 20205/26/2013

[quote]Leo wasn't as bad as Kate in Titanic. I thought she was awful and in now way deserved an Oscar nom. I also thought the whole film Titanic was pretty bad. It was a travesty that it beat the brilliant LA Confidential for Best Picture.

You are Disasteriously wrong on all accounts. Find a new hobby.

by Anonymousreply 20305/26/2013

Justin Timberlake is like the Madonna of movies, he's better at sticking to music.

by Anonymousreply 20405/26/2013

Except that Kate Winslet was the only decent thing about Titanic acting-wise. She did her best to inject some dimension into her carboard character, despite being hampered by the hackneyed dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 20505/26/2013

Demi Moore in everything. She and Andie can share the prize.

by Anonymousreply 20605/26/2013

Meryl Streep in Plenty: so mannered and artificial (clearly trying to keep her English accent on track) the performance approaches farce.

Judy Dench in Pride & Prejudice: a phoned-in performance in a car crash movie.

Emma: the Australian actress whose name escapes me played her friend. A performance on the level of a bad school play. Don't get the (onscreen) Gwenyth hate: she was radiant in Shakespeare in Love & pitch perfect in Ripley.

Keira Knightley in anything of course.

The female lead in the last Superman actress and the grubby little blot who played the villian's girlfriend. Both blackholes.

Mirren in The Queen. Waaay too actory. A great wig does not a great performance make. Those who played Blair & his wife were terrific.

Keanu with his acting-through-custard ambience was weirdly kind of appropriate for Dracula because the entire movie was like a drug trip.

by Anonymousreply 20705/26/2013

[quote]Emma: the Australian actress whose name escapes me played her friend. A performance on the level of a bad school play.

Toni Collette. In a movie starring Gwyneth trying to do an English accent and failing miserably, you thought Toni Collette's performance was the bad one?

by Anonymousreply 20805/26/2013

Yeah, I really did. But I was mainly concentrating on the whole other performance going on with the metronome in Northam's breeches.

by Anonymousreply 20905/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.