Sweet boy.

by Anonymousreply 209/20/2011

Great dad.

by Anonymousreply 309/20/2011

bitch is a mumbler who needs subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 409/20/2011

Why YouTube this?

by Anonymousreply 509/20/2011

He's adorable. Love how he says, "yes, sir." He Daddy raised him well.

by Anonymousreply 609/20/2011

He has a whole series of YouTube videos, all naturally leading up to this.

The story of one soldier in the era of DADT.

by Anonymousreply 709/20/2011

It's his decision to Youtube it, maybe he wants to encourage others. I thought it was great.

by Anonymousreply 809/20/2011

I've watched a lot of his videos and for some reason did not match his voice to that face.

by Anonymousreply 909/20/2011

He's in the Air Force according to this guy, so he's an airman, not a soldier.

by Anonymousreply 1009/20/2011

all that's missing is the show cane and hat. even with the song and dance, bravo to him.

by Anonymousreply 1109/20/2011

he's so hot.

by Anonymousreply 1209/20/2011

Bravo! and he's from Alabam-y!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1309/20/2011

Even I, who am a cold, emotionless void, got a little sniffly when his dad said that he was proud of him and would always be proud of him.

by Anonymousreply 1409/20/2011

Well, THAT had me in tears for sure!

by Anonymousreply 1509/20/2011

I love that he's a Southern Bubba, with expert blonde highlights, too. Can't understand most of that red state dialect, but the message is clear.

by Anonymousreply 1609/20/2011

I couldn't hear the father clearly. Did he say that he already knew or suspected that his son was gay?

by Anonymousreply 1709/20/2011

Wish he were shirtless. He's hot .

by Anonymousreply 1809/20/2011

Would you take a wifebeater as a consolation prize, R18?

by Anonymousreply 1909/20/2011

Wife beater works. Would be better wet so his nips were hard but this is good. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 2109/20/2011

Queerty says this is him.

by Anonymousreply 2209/20/2011

That was wonderful. It's so sad that he has to ask his dad if he'll still love him, but then that's always our fear. Thank you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2309/20/2011

I love that he initially called his father "Daddy." Is that a Southern thing, for grown men to still call their father's Daddy?

I grew up without a father, so moments like this warm my heart.

Yes, R17, the father says that he's had his suspicions but that the believes the mother is going to be shocked.

by Anonymousreply 2409/20/2011

[quote]I love that he initially called his father "Daddy." Is that a Southern thing, for grown men to still call their father's Daddy?

by Anonymousreply 2509/20/2011

Wow, that really got to me , and I'm usually on here making 911 jokes and l; lauging at dead women in recycling bins.

That kid is really brave.

Someone need to show this to that fucking closet case coward Anderson Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 2609/20/2011

This is the perfect way to personalize the DADT issue, but I wonder how did this manage to garner all this national attention? Did he approve this clip to be broadcast all over the web on various news sites and such outside of YouTube? He's the first page on the AOL home screen, so that's quite a way to come out!

by Anonymousreply 2709/20/2011

He'd made a series of videos in the run-up to the official repeal date. He'd never shown his face before.

I guess someone was paying attention. It just went viral, like a few of the other stories around today.

by Anonymousreply 2809/20/2011

The things I liked most about this video:

The father told his son that he loves him more in one phone call than most sons, straight or gay, hear from their dads in a lifetime.

The father gave his son not only what he wanted, but what he needed- unconditional love, support, normalcy and just the right amount of teasing.

The son clearly expressed his nervousness about making the call; the father did not show any inclination to make the call about himself. Rather, he heard his son through, accepted him as he is, and chose not to negatively react in any to, or voice any judgement of his son's emotions.

by Anonymousreply 2909/20/2011

It's all over the news now. Multiple straight friends have posted the video on Facebook. This is fantastic for gay folks everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 3009/20/2011 gives a name.

by Anonymousreply 3109/20/2011

r27. He went viral before from the Rolling in the Deep-Military cover was all over the news a month ago..Now the singer is going to appear in The Voice.

by Anonymousreply 3209/20/2011

He's a drama queen, but it's still sweet.

by Anonymousreply 3309/20/2011

R34 Freeper begone!

by Anonymousreply 3509/20/2011

Maybe it a result of changing times, but I don't think a conversation like this should be posted online. It's such a personal thing between father and son.

I get that he may have felt really strongly compelled to tell his dad at that time, but I also think he should have waited to tell him face to face.

Although maybe I'm just getting old...

by Anonymousreply 3609/20/2011

[quote]Maybe it a result of changing times, but I don't think a conversation like this should be posted online. It's such a personal thing between father and son.

These kids came of age online. They share everything.

If Airman Phillips feels like this is something he needs to share, I think that's his right. And I don't think his dad should get a veto: his job, which he performed admirably, was to tell his son how he felt.

by Anonymousreply 3709/20/2011

He has bigger balls than people like Anderson Cooper and Luke Evans.

And he's cuter.

by Anonymousreply 3809/20/2011

He didn't want his father learning he was gay because of his internet videos so he had to tell him now by phone.

by Anonymousreply 3909/20/2011

It is a good day in America for gay people. We haven't had that many.

I can't gainsay someone in the military coming out today, no matter how she or he does it. Good for anyone who does.

No one is going to take this away from us. Let's not act like we're taking it away from ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 4009/20/2011

Sentimental claptrap that has no business being aired public.

by Anonymousreply 4109/20/2011

What's with all the cynics? I applaud the kid! It puts a face on "coming out" and may inspire others to do likewise.

I don't think he was serious about his father telling his mother for him. He had a smile when he said it and his father laughed. I think it was a bit of humor to lighten the moment.

Obviously, it's gonna be harder telling her (for whatever reason) since he chose to tell his father first. Maybe he's not as close with her. The father did mention that he's had his "suspicions" about him (which implies that he has a better understanding of his son) but feels that the mother will be shocked when she is told.

by Anonymousreply 4209/20/2011

It's fake. Part of a college theater project.

by Anonymousreply 4309/20/2011

He's adorable.I want to comfort him in intimate ways.

by Anonymousreply 4409/20/2011

It's on the MSNBC.COM front page:

by Anonymousreply 4509/20/2011

Very sweet, thanks for posting it. His daddy is obviously a good man who raised a good son.

by Anonymousreply 4609/20/2011

Please, half of us who come out still have parents "who love us," right then and there. But one thing I've learned is there is a big difference between being loved and being liked. There is a big difference between being loved and being happy for someone.

I know my parents love me, but do they like the fact that I am gay? Are they happy for me and my partner? The jury is still out on that.

by Anonymousreply 4709/20/2011

I don't think it went well with his mother..he hasn't tweeted since yesterday morning.

by Anonymousreply 4809/20/2011

I think he's probably overwhelmed by the attention. He's gone from an anonymous video blogger to a mainstream media symbol in 24 hours.

by Anonymousreply 4909/21/2011

He's international, now: The Daily Mail has an article about him. Naturally, they choose the least attractive screenshot....

by Anonymousreply 5009/21/2011

I was nervous just watching. I'm glad there was a positive outcome.

by Anonymousreply 5109/21/2011

Remember your own coming out.

Now imagine that the entire world is in on it, watching it, analyizing it, commenting on it...

I can't even imagine what this guy is going through.

by Anonymousreply 5209/21/2011

He's adorable!

by Anonymousreply 5309/21/2011

Featured on both The Daily Show (to surprisingly lukewarm applause) and TRMS tonight

by Anonymousreply 5409/21/2011

I've noticed some negative, nasty comments here and there, but it's been almost overwhelmingly positive. Jon Stewart showed the clip tonight and when the father was telling his son "I'll always love and I'll always be proud of you," the audience started to applaud.

by Anonymousreply 5509/21/2011

His Facebook page. He's freaking adorable!

by Anonymousreply 5609/21/2011

Thanks for his Facbook link, R56! Love the pic of him at the pool pulling down his swim trunks (not boards shorts) just enough to see his pubes.

by Anonymousreply 5709/21/2011

Someone should teach him how to lock down his facebook page a little more.

by Anonymousreply 5909/21/2011

His dad is one of his Facebook friends. He wasn't at all what I expected from hearing his voice. I pictured a gray-haired guy in his late fifties/early sixties wearing overalls -- a "good old boy." Yeah, I was stereotyping. But his dad's a young guy (mid-forties -- graduated high school in 1982) with a contemporary appearance, and actually quite nice looking.

I think from the context of the call that "Sherry" is the airman's stepmom. So it probably was a joke when the son asked his father if he wanted to tell mom.

by Anonymousreply 6009/21/2011

Well, he didn't know that, R58. Yes, it shouldn't matter that someone's gay... or straight or whatever, but to some people it does. And oftentimes families do turn their backs on their children for being gay.

Just 'cause your coming out may have been a nonevent with no drama doesn't mean everyone else's experience is the same. Thankfully, this kid's coming out went well... so far. I'm still waiting to hear about the mother.

It really confounds me how sometimes the gay community can't support its own.

by Anonymousreply 6109/21/2011

Lots of siblings in that family! He has at least one brother and three sisters. Yikes.

His dad had kids YOUNG too.

by Anonymousreply 6209/21/2011

Posting his coming out to his dad on YouTube? Isn't there anything private anymore? I guess that's what happens when an entire generation grows up watching reality shows. What a fame whore!

by Anonymousreply 6309/21/2011

Wow, he is a 10 out of 10. Momma's mussy is going into overdrive after the facebook pics.

by Anonymousreply 6409/21/2011

I thought it was heart-warming and thank him for posting it.

by Anonymousreply 6509/21/2011

Well, just hope to see a video when he brings home a good and handsome southern military boyfriend that he truly deserve.

by Anonymousreply 6609/21/2011

Why'd he post this on YouTube?

I adore him until I stop to realize that he had every intention of posting this online so, I have to question his motive and perhaps even the authenticity of this scenario.

I know, I know but come on. Sometimes you have to question these things.

by Anonymousreply 6709/21/2011

He posted it on YouTube because he's desperate for attention.

by Anonymousreply 6809/21/2011

Really? It couldn't possibly have been because he wanted to share a happy moment? It couldn't have been to show others stuck in whatever kind of closet that there is likely a time it will end?

Cynics are such fun.

by Anonymousreply 6909/21/2011

He posted it because he is telling his story.

If you look at his earliest videos, he barely has enough confidence to talk about it. With each video, he becomes stronger.

Everything he's posted has led up to this. Having enough strength to actually do it was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 7009/21/2011

R58, really. Don't troll a perfectly good thread.

by Anonymousreply 7109/21/2011

[quote]Lots of siblings in that family! He has at least one brother and three sisters. Yikes.

He said on TV that he was his dads only son.

by Anonymousreply 7209/21/2011

Yes, he had every intention of posting it on YouTube. He's been documenting his entire coming out process. Under the circumstances, a public service.

by Anonymousreply 7309/21/2011

His Dad was his Facebook friend and just "suspected" that his son might be gay? Come now.

by Anonymousreply 7409/21/2011

R72 I would assume that he has another brother through his mother's second marriage. His father is remarried so it's quite possible his mother remarried and had more children.

by Anonymousreply 7509/21/2011

He's the next Anderson Cooper. He's BECOMING the story.

by Anonymousreply 7609/21/2011

There is a lot of hate comments on his youtube video.

by Anonymousreply 7709/22/2011

He's indeed worth the look

by Anonymousreply 7809/22/2011

R77 Some Nasty comments are to be expected, but look at the "likes" for the video. Twenty four positives for every one negative. It's the same douche bags posting repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 7909/22/2011

I wish that I had the courage to come out to my Pop before he died; I never did but I'm sure the result would have been the same as in the video of the soldier.

by Anonymousreply 8009/22/2011

This felt so staged for the inevitable movie of the week, "Hot White Airman: His Pain Is More Real Than Yours."

by Anonymousreply 8109/22/2011

And you bitches wonder why gay kids kill themselves.

This cutie uses his experience for good, 2 million people have viewed it in one day, the majority completely supportive, yet you ankle-bite him like a cluster of fleas.

by Anonymousreply 8209/22/2011

Bet he looks great in a jockstrap....

by Anonymousreply 8309/22/2011

He put his address on his youtube channel if anyone is interested in sending him mail.

Steven R Phillips PSC 1 Box 5282 APO AE 09009

by Anonymousreply 8409/22/2011

I was thinking i hope he got a chance to tell the rest of his family before they saw it on the evening news.

by Anonymousreply 8509/22/2011

According to Good Morning America yesterday, his father wasn't thrilled that it was on YouTube, but re-stated to ABC News how much he loves his son.

by Anonymousreply 8609/22/2011

I sent him a thank you note on Facebook and he replied. Sweetie!

by Anonymousreply 8709/22/2011

"It Gets Better"

If you're hot.

by Anonymousreply 8809/22/2011

He is gonna get so much action off-base!

by Anonymousreply 8909/24/2011

I'm more interested in the story as it continues from here on out. How is he dealing with the sudden world-wide fame? Jumping from the closet into the fire like that has to be overwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 9009/24/2011

What did you say, R87, and what was his response?

by Anonymousreply 9109/24/2011

R90, I think that he enjoys he new popularity. From setting up the YouTube channel in the first place to documenting his improved fitness on Twitter, he strikes me as one that wants the attention.

I have been trying not to be cynical about his intentions, but a new development caused me to pause. On his YouTube channel (which I've been a subscriber to for a couple of months), he has added his mailing address - as R84 noted. But in addition he has posted a list of things he'd like including a new camera, a laptop, an iPad, or 'anything from America.' When I read that I can't help but rethink what I'd initially thought about this guy.

Hopefully he'll wait until he's discharged before he starts his Cam4 profile that links to his wishlist.

by Anonymousreply 9209/24/2011

"Someone need to show this to that fucking closet case coward Anderson Cooper."

Never mind Cooper. The people who really need to see this are Rick Santorum, Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry, and all the other Republicans who scream "disaster" about the repeal of DADT.

by Anonymousreply 9309/24/2011

I also like some of his earlier videos:

"I don't act gay. I don't act straight. I act like me."

and (paraphrase):

"I have a buddy who says he doesn't work well with gay people. But he works well with me!"

by Anonymousreply 9509/25/2011

I guess I've come to expect this now -- any out gay man will be pilloried on Datalounge. It still makes me sad that it happens here. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 9609/25/2011

R92, that is disappointing if true.

by Anonymousreply 9709/25/2011

I love him. He's terrific in every way. Love!!!

by Anonymousreply 9809/25/2011

He tweeted another shirtless picture.

I am so easy.

by Anonymousreply 9909/27/2011

Doesn't he make enough money to buy that little wish list?

Can't wait until one of you bitches hooks up with him, and posts all the details.

by Anonymousreply 10009/27/2011

He purty.

by Anonymousreply 10109/27/2011

If he kept a bag over his face, I'd definitely lick the body.

by Anonymousreply 10209/27/2011

He came out to his mother and it didn't go so well..

by Anonymousreply 10309/29/2011

I want to tongue kiss that boy so bad it hurts!

by Anonymousreply 10409/29/2011

Well, sequels are always disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 10509/29/2011

Why didn't his dad tell her that the kid is gay?

His coming out to his father made the national news, strange she didn't see it on tv.

by Anonymousreply 10609/29/2011

She was too busy watching her DVRs of 'Hoarders' and 'The 700 Club.'

by Anonymousreply 10709/29/2011

He asked his dad if he (the dad) wanted to tell Mom. The dad said "No."

I think this phone call was the same night. The first video hit the airwaves the next morning, the mother would have had to know before that.

by Anonymousreply 10809/29/2011

r106, It's the same day he told his father..notice the clothes he is wearing. I think he waited to put it on youtube until the media calmed down on him.

by Anonymousreply 10909/29/2011

Anyway he's becoming a stereotypical attention-whore queen. His twitter has tons of pics of him showing off his was in the streets of cold Germany..wearing only shorts.. with his arms wide open.

"Look at me! look at me!"

by Anonymousreply 11009/29/2011

I know it's Alabama, but the father sounded like an intelligent man. The mother sounds like a small minded backwoods redneck.

by Anonymousreply 11109/29/2011

If his mother didn't know or highly suspect then she's the dumbest mother of a gay kid on the face of the earth. Mothers always know, or suspect, even if they say they didn't.

by Anonymousreply 11209/29/2011

R110, you're such an ass. It could very well be that he's doing it this way so it will help as many gay kids as possible. And I daresay kids who are having the same problem will see this and it will make them feel better.

by Anonymousreply 11309/29/2011

Well, I knew the second she started spouting what the bible supposedly says, she's a dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 11409/29/2011

He has changed the gift request list that he had previously posted along with a mailing address on his YouTube profile. Instead of specifically asking for the new camera or laptop or iPad, now he has changed it to read "for letters and gifts from home." So either a bunch of guys already sent him all the specific electronic toys that he'd requested, or someone suggested to him that posting a request list made him come across as something other than sincere.

And to confirm what R109 added, he recorded the call to mom immediately after the discussion with his dad. It's hard to miss if you listen to the clip because the first thing he says is that it's Sept. 20th (the DADT repeal date) and it's about an hour after he called his dad.

by Anonymousreply 11609/29/2011

He may be an attention whore, but I hope he still has a family after all of this.

by Anonymousreply 11709/29/2011

He can always do porn.

by Anonymousreply 11809/29/2011

Gosh he is so handsome! what a body too! this kid is like 22 or something? So someone on this thread said his mother read the bible to him that it was wrong? is that true?

by Anonymousreply 11909/29/2011

As I recall, the mother mentioned that it was wrong, according to the Bible.

Randy asked her where it says that, but she never came out and read anything - didn't even answer the question.

She did mention Adam & Eve, though.

by Anonymousreply 12009/29/2011

does he have a boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 12109/30/2011

Mom didn't say much, and the video is mostly about her long silences, but she did ask a question a lot of people wanted to ask:

Mom: Did you tell you girlfriend?

Soldier: Yes

Mom: What did she say?

Soldier: She was pissed.

by Anonymousreply 12209/30/2011

he had a girlfriend? So he was bearding?

by Anonymousreply 12309/30/2011

I think he said that he went through periods where he though he could be straight (because it would just be a whole lot easier if he was.) So there was a girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 12409/30/2011

did he have sex with her?

by Anonymousreply 12509/30/2011

He has a girlfriend!?

Maybe he's really bi?

by Anonymousreply 12609/30/2011

R127 is either fucking psychotic or Randy Phillips.

by Anonymousreply 12809/30/2011

Any news?

Is his mother still praying for him?

What's happening with the girlfriend?

WTF is going on??

by Anonymousreply 12910/07/2011

[quote]He has changed the gift request list that he had previously posted

Damn, I was easy when I was overseas. I used to ask for Andes chocolate covered mints. My Marine partner would go with me to Mail Call hoping some more mints would arrive from the States. Another guy I worked with would write home for Oreos. If there was a glass of milk on his desk, we knew he had gotten more Oreos from friends or family back home.

by Anonymousreply 13010/07/2011
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!